Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 59 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 59 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Mr. Bigelow was a native of Hillsdale county, Michigan, his birth occurring on the ist
of November, 1S48. His parents were Townsend and Diana H. Bigelow. His early life
was spent in a rural district and his educational advantages were quite limited. Desiring
to learn more of the world, at the age of sixteen he went to Illinois and there enlisted in
Cotnpany M, Ninth Illinois Volunteer Cavalry for service in the Civil war. His com-
mand was a part of the Army of the Tennessee commanded by General Thomas, and
Mr. Bigelow remained at the front until he was honorably discharged at Montgomery,
Alabama. He returned to Illinois and continued his education but his experience in the
south had made him restless and filled him with the desire to go to the far west, con-
cerning which he had heard many favorable reports.

In October, 1869, in company with a sister, Mrs. Julius Horton, and her family, Mr.
Bigelow went to San Francisco by way of the Union Pacific Railroad and there took a sail-
ing vessel for Seattle. He was employed in various lines of business until 1878, when he
entered the employ of one of Seattle's leading mercantile firms, with whom he remained for
several years. In 1890 he was appointed deputy United States marshal by President Har-
rison and for three years was chief deputy of the state of Washington. He performed
the duties of his important office in an efficient manner, making a record highly to his




HARK^• A, MKtKLOW



HISTORY OF SEATTLE .- 495

credit. Upon retiring from that oiifice he engaged in the real estate and brokerage busi-
ness, to which he devoted his time and attention until July, 1897. He then sailed for
Dawson, Alaska, by way of St. Michaels, but on account of low water in the Yukon river
was unable to reach the great gold metropolis and located at Rampart City on Manook
creek in American territory. During the year which he devoted to prospecting he secured
an interest in twenty-one mining claims and at the end of that time resolved to return to
Seattle. In company with his son and three others he set out in a row boat and by travel-
ing night and day made the thousand miles to St. Michaels in twelve days. At that port
the party took steamer for Seattle. In November, 1898, he again embarked in the real
estate business, in which he continued until March, 1901. He then became one of the incor-
porators of the Queen Oil Company, owning valuable lands in Kern county, California,
and continued his connection with that company during the remainder of his life. He
passed away at Karlsbad, Austria, on the 28th of July, 1907.

Mr. Bigelow was married in September, 1873, to Miss Emma K. Hall, a daughter of
W. B. Hall, who was born in Indiana in 1843. In early life Mr. Hall went to Adair county,
Iowa, where he resided for a number of years. He was quite active in political circles there
and was county clerk and surveyor for twelve years. In 1870 he came to Seattle and
under General McMicken 'surveyed all of the townships in King county and also did
surveying work in other sections. His records and surveys have never been superseded,
as he was very accurate in his work. About thirty years ago he retired from actitve life
and is now living with his daughter Mrs. Bigelow. He was married in Indiana to Miss
Sarah Crane, who died in February, 1907. To them were born three children, Mrs. Bige-
low ; Walter A., of Seattle ; and Fred M., who died in 1887. Mr. Hall is a republican and
his religious faith is that of the Methodist church. To Mr. and Mrs. Bigelow were born
three children, Lillian Floy, Clair Vivian and D. Earl.

Mr. Bigelow was a loyal republican but was not bitterly partisan, placing the public
welfare above party interests. Although devoted to his city and section, he thought in
terms of national life and his sincere and practical Americanism was one of his most
dominant traits. He was prominent in the Grand Army of the Republic, was a charter
member of Stevens Post, No. i, the first post formed in the state of Washington, of which
he served as commander for three years, and in June, 1901, he was elected commander of
the Department of Washington and Alaska. His connection with the Masonic fraternity
dated from 1872 and he belonged to St. John's Lodge, No. 9. F. & A. M. ; Seattle Chap-
ter, No. 3, R. A. M. ; Seattle Council, No. 6, R. & S. M.; Seattle Commandery, No. 2,
K. T. ; Lawson Consistory, No. i, and Nile Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He was a mem-
ber of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and also belonged to the Knights of Pythias,
in which order he gained distinction. In 1884 he took part in the organization of the
grand lodge of the Knights of Pythias in Washington and he was elected sitting past grand
chancellor. In 1885 he was chosen supreme representative of the state of Washington
to the supreme lodge and attended every session of that body from that time until about
four years prior to his demise. He organized the military branch of that order in this
state and for eight years served as brigadier general. He was very successful in his
business enterprises but never allowed his financial interests to monopolize his time, recog-
nizing that there are other things in life which are more worth while than the mere accu-
mulation of a fortune. Aside from the important work which he did in fraternal circles,
he took an active part in many movements which sought the public welfare; and his
cooperation was a potent factor in the development of Seattle and the northwest along
various lines.



FRANK MORRELL JORDAN.

Frank Morrcll Jordan, who for more than a quarter of a century has been actively
engaged in the real estate and insurance business in Seattle, was born in Auburn,
Maine, December 9, 1863, a son of Francis Michael and Parthena (Ricker) Jordan. He
is a descendant of the Rev. Robert Jordan, who left England in 1640 and settled in Maine.
He attended the public schools of Auburn and continued his education in Williams College



496 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

at Williamstown, Massachusetts, from which he was graduated in the class of 1887.
When his college days were over he spent a year as clerk in the war department at Wash-
ington, D. C, after which he came to Seattle and has since been engaged in the real estate
and insurance business, operating largely along those lines, his clientage now being ex-
tensive. During the last ten years he has devoted most of his time to opening and devel-
oping properties in Alaska, including a copper and gold mine at Ellamar and a marble
quarry at El Capitan, Alaska. His bvisiness affairs are wisely directed and his sound
judgment finds expression in success.

On the 30th of March, 1897, in Salem, Oregon, Mr. Jordan was united in marriage to
Miss Ada M. Risdon, a daughter of Dr. A. D. and Caroline A. (Roe) Risdon. They have
one child, Helen Edes Jordan, who was born August 31, 1902. Mr. Jordan gives his polit-
ical allegiance to the republican party and is a member of the Seattle Commercial Club,
the University Club and the Athletic Club. He has been connected with Seattle through-
out the entire period of its development since the fire of 1889 and has been in hearty
sjTnpathy with the movement for the building of the city upon broader and more beautiful
municipal lines. He co-operates in various movements for civic progress and holds to
all those things which are a matter of civic virtue.



CAPTAIN SAMUEL JACKSON.

Varied, interesting and ofttimes exciting were the experiences which featured in the
life record of Captain Samuel Jackson, who sailed on the high seas in various parts of
the globe and was twice shipwrecked. The later years of his life were spent in Seattle,
where he passed away October 17, 1912, when in the eightieth year of his age. He was
born in Plymouth, Massachusetts, November 7, 1832, and at the age of ten years went with
his father on a fishing schooner, in which manner his time was passed for seven years,
when he became connected with deep sea interests. On one of his early voyages to the
Pacific coast the vessel was wrecked near the equator, but all hands escaped in a life
boat and reached land four days later. Captain Jackson afterward worked his way back
to Philadelphia by way of Valparaiso and later sailed out of Boston on one of the boats
of a packet line bound for Liverpool. He was connected with that line for five j'ears,
after which he shipped as boatswain on the Niagara and during the trip from New York
to Liverpool was wrecked in the Irish channel, on which occasion two of the crew were
lost. He spent the summer of 1856 on the Great Lakes, returning to New York in the
fall, after which he sailed as second mate on the ship Webfoot, which arrived in San
Francisco in May, 1857. Captain Jackson spent three months in the mines of California
and next sailed for Hongkong, China. In 1858 he reached Puget Sound on the ship
White Swallow and during the succeeding three years worked in the mines of California,
Nevada and Mexico.

In 1861 he returned to Seattle, where he continued to reside until his death. From
1861 forward he was identified with navigation interests of the northwest. He began
steamboating on the Ranger No. 2 and after a short time became pilot on the J. B. Libby.
From that boat he went to the steamer Idaho, which he commanded, and later he was
in charge of the Varuna until he went to the Columbia. He subsequently handled the
tugs Colombia and Blakely, after which the Fanny Lake and Otter were his next boats.
Subsequently he operated the New Tacoma, engaged in towing. For a long time he was
in the employ of the Washington Steamboat Company and was one of the last masters
of the steamer Washington. He retired about 1893 but indolence and idleness were utterly
foreign to his nature and, not content without occupation, he later secured employment
at the navy yard.

At Seattle, in 1892, Captain Jackson was united in marriage to Mrs. Rose (McLean)
Olney, who was born in Maine and is a daughter of Charles E. McLean, who made his
way across the plains to San Francisco in 1859 and in 1861 came to Seattle, where he
was actively and prominently engaged in the logging business until his death, which oc-
curred in 1888. He also took a prominent part in promoting the welfare and upbuilding



1



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 497

of the city in pioneer times. He married Jeannette McKenzie, of New Brunswick, and
they became the parents of a son and four daughters: Georgia, the wife of C. H. Bur-
nett; Mrs. Jackson; Charles E. and Alice, who have passed away; and Mrs. Jennie Davis,
of Seattle. The daughter Rose was married in Seattle to Captain H. J. Olney, who was
born in Franklin county, Iowa, and for years was one of the best known men on the boats
on Puget Sound. He was employed on many of the early craft and in 1879 built the
twin propeller Susie. In 1882 he was interested with D. R. Jackson in the organization of
the Washington Steamboat Company and after severing his connection with that corpora-
tion he purchased the old Columbia river steamer Gazelle, which he operated until he
secured the Irving. He was thirty-eight years of age when he passed away in January,
1888. Four years later his widow became the wife of Captain Jackson and to this union
was born a daughter, who is now Mrs. Chester Campbell and who has one daughter,
Rozellna Helen.

A long life of activity and usefulness was that of Captain Samuel Jackson, who
passed away on the 17th of October, 1912. Practically seventy years had been devoted to
sailing or kindred interests and there was no phase of life on the high seas or on the
inland waters with which he was not familiar. He watched the development of marine
transportation in the northwest and was among those whose efforts contributed to the
improvement of the service.



JAMES BEATY EAGLESON, M. D.

The tendency toward specialization along all professional lines is more and more mani-
fest. It is a well recognized fact that the highest degree of efficiency is when one after
mastering general b*ic principles concentrates his energies upon a particular field, thereby
gaining a more accurate and comprehensive knowledge than he could otherwise hope to
attain. Following this trend of the times. Dr. Eagleson has during the past fourteen years
limited his professional work to general surgery and his marked ability in that field is
recognized by the laity as well as the public. He is now in the prime of life, having
hardly reached the zenith of his powers. He was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, August 30,
1862, a son of \^'illiam and Elizabeth (Hodsen) Eagleson. The father was born in Bally-
meny, County Antrim, Ireland, in 1802, and during his infancy was brought to America by
his parents. He lived in southern Ohio and in Indiana in pioneer times, settling on a farm
at the edge of Chillicothe, Ohio, in 1840 and there continuing until his death, which occurred
in 1886. He was a lifelong democrat and an ardent admirer of President Andrew Jackson.
while of Senator (afterward governor) William Allen, of Ohio, he was a warm personal
friend. His wife was of Scotch descent, so that the mingled blood of Scotch and Irish
ancestry flows through the veins of Dr. Eagleson.

After attending public and private schools Dr. Eagleson became a student in the Col-
lege of Physicians and Surgeons of Chicago, the medical department of the University
of Illinois, from which he was graduated with the M. D. degree in 1885. His early environ-
ment was the home farm and for four years he taught school before qualifying for the
practice of medicine. After his graduation he entered at once upon his professional
duties and since 1887 has been engaged in practice in Seattle. Almost immediately after
his arrival in the northwest he was accorded a liberal practice that has gained in volume
and importance and his superior skill in surgical work, leading to greater and greater
demands upon his time and energy in that connection, has led him in the past fourteen
years to concentrate his attention upon general surgery. He formerly served as surgeon
general for the Washington National Guard but is now retired. He is, however, a member
of the Medical Reserve Corps of the United States Army. He has filled the office of presi-
dent of the state medical examining board and of the state board of health and was in
the United States Marine Hospital service in Seattle from 1887 until 1S98, or for a period
of eleven years. Aside from his profession he has business interests as a trustee and
medical director of the Northern Life Insurance Company.

On the 1st of July, 1889, at Seattle, Dr. Eagleson was married to Miss Blanche Mills,



498 HISTORY OF SEATTLE ; . '

who was born in Michigan and in early childhood removed to California. She afterward
lived at Walla Walla and attended Whitman College, while later she became a student in
the University of Washington. She is a daughter of E. W. and Helen Mills, who removed
from Walla Walla to Seattle in 1888. Dr. and Mrs. Eagleson have four children, James
M., Helen E., Margaret E. and Jean M.

Dr. Eagleson is public spirited in citizenship and in all matters of civic welfare and
was a member of the charter revision committee. His interests and activities have always
been such as touch the highest things of life, as is indicated in the fact that he is a trustee
of Adelphia College, that he is vice president of the Young Men's Christian Association
and that he has membership with the Municipal League and the Chamber of Commerce,
organizations which are seeking to better conditions in Seattle along many lines. He is
also a member of the M^estminster Presbyterian church and in club circles he is well
known as a member of the College, University and Arctic clubs. His investigation and
researches have largely been along scientific lines, attested by the fact of his membership in
the County, State and American Medical Associations, the Northern Pacific Surgical
Association, the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States, the American
Society for the Advancement of Science, the American Academy of Political and Social
Science, the Western Surgical and Gynecological Society, and the American College of
Surgeons. His studies have thus had to do with the line of his profession and also with
those broader subjects which touch community life in general and have to do with the
world's progress.



PAUL PAGE W'HITHAM.



There is perhaps no resident of Seattle who has studied more closely public conditions
bearing upon the welfare, upbuilding and progress of the city than Paul Page Whitham.
Recognizing the value of the splendid natural resources of the northwest and of this city,
with its harbor facilities, in particular, he believes that there is a wonderful future before
Seattle and his efforts are proving a practical and effective force in bringing about general
development. He has here resided since the summer of 1902, coming to the northwest
in early manhood. He was born in Champaign, Illinois, May 30, 1878, and comes of a
family originally from England, although settlement was made by representatives of the
family in Virginia in 1775. His father, Robert F. Whitham, a native of Ohio, was a civil
engineer by profession and in the year 1880 drove with a team and wagon from Salt Lake
City to Olympia prior to the advent of the railroads in the northwest. He left behind
him his wife and children. Mrs. Whitham bore the maiden name of Martha E. Page
and was a representative of the Page family that was established in Massachusetts in
1630. In the spring of 1881 Mrs. Whitham, with her two children, Paul, three years of
age, and John, aged six months, traveled from Omaha, Nebraska, to Olympia by way of
the Southern Pacific to San Francisco, thence on the old side-wheel steamer Idaho to
Seattle and on the historic Sound steamer Willie from Seattle to Olympia, the trip
requiring in all sixteen days. Several years later Mr. and Mrs. Robert F. Whitham
went to live on the old Wiley donation claim, at Gull Harbor, about four miles north of
Olympia, and Mr. Whitham still occupies his farm at South Bay. His wife, however,
passed away in April, 191 5, survived by her husband, her sons, Paul, Carl and Lynn,
and a daughter, Ruth.

Paul P. Whitham has spent practically his entire life in the northwest. He completed
his public-school studies in the Olympia high school, from which he was graduated in
1898, after which he studied engineering in the University of Illinois, leaving that school
in 1901. He entered upon active work in the field of surveying and engineering and
after spending a year in surveying and mining work in eastern Washington and British
Columbia came to Seattle in the summer of 1902 and obtained the position of draftsman
in the city engineer's office. He passed through various grades of work in that office,
finally becoming assistant franchise inspector, which position he filled until the formation




PAUL P. WHITHAM



<ri.Tr



fUiiS






HISTORY OF SEATTLE 501

of the department of public utilities, when he became field assistant superintendent of
public utilities, having charge of engineering, inspection and construction work, this
department being organized in 1908. The position was later designated as that of chief
engineer of the department of public utilities. During 191 1, while still acting in that
capacity, he spent some time with Virgil G. Bogue in the preparation of the Plan of
Seattle, having particular charge of the transportation and water front features of the
plan. He also obtained a short leave of absence in 1911-12 and worked as principal
assistant to Mr. Bogue in the preparation of the harbor plans for Tacoma.

Early in 1912 Mr. Whitham resigned as chief engineer of the public utilities department
and became principal assistant engineer under R. H. Thompson, chief engineer of the port
of Seattle. During 1912 he obtained leave of absence for a short time and prepared a
report and harbor plan for the port of Astoria. Upon the resignation of Mr. Thompson,
chief engineer of the port of Seattle, in May, 1912, Mr. Whitham was appointed acting
and later chief engineer, which position he held until October i, 1914, when he retired,
associating himself with George Watkin Evans, a noted mining engineer and coal expert,
with whom he entered upon private practice as consulting civil engineers. Since that
time he has made investigations and prepared reports for various important enterprises
in Alaska and the northwest and most recently, in connection with other work, made a
trip throughout the east and middle west, studying industrial development matters for the
Industrial Bureau of the Seattle Chamber of Commerce. The Seattle Times in an editorial
under the caption "A Wonderful 'Vision' " wrote : "Announced by the speaker as a
'vision,' but deserving classification as a constructive suggestion of great worth, Paul P.
Whitham presented to the Industrial Bureau of the Chamber of Commerce yesterday a
comprehensive plan for industrial expansion that deserves every consideration. He urges
not Seattle alone but all of western Washington to 'take stock,' to summarize the advan-
tages that can be offered factories, the opportunities for investment and the trade field
that will be open to exploitation. His suggestion that the 'industrial district' of Seattle
includes practically the entire Puget Sound basin is attractive. His demonstration that a
benefit to one section is a certain benefit to all the others is convincing. As a basis of
a campaign for more factories, his plan is comprehensive, far-reaching and based on the
experience of other cities, which have confronted the same problems and met them, in
part, at least. Seattle cannot do better than take advantage of their labors and achieve-
ments. There is no question that the time to plan for new work along this line is now.
The conclusion of war should see for this city and section, in company with the whole
world, an onward movement toward prosperity. Preparations made at this time will
enable Seattle and adjacent territory to take the fullest advantage of every opportunity
offered for expansion industrially."

Mr. Whitham has visited twenty-one of the leading cities of the east and upon his
return took as his text for his speech before the Industrial Bureau, "Seattle Needs More
Factories," and oft'ered suggestions as to how they might be obtained. He said: "This
work includes seeing that the industries are provided with proper transportation and
shipping facilities, that the rates which they must pay on incoming and outgoing shipments
are equitable and that new and growing enterprises, when investigation warrants such
aid, are given needed financial backing and encouragement. They are also helped to
extend their markets. The slogan, 'More factories for Seattle,' sounds good to everybody,
but many are not very hopeful. I believe, however, that during the next period of general
prosperity Seattle will have an opportunity for industrial expansion greater than we can
now appreciate. If that is the case, now is the time to lay a foundation that will insure
our ability to grasp the opportunities as they come along. Activity in the search for new
factories is an important feature in any campaign for industrial development." He
declared that the big problem in this work is the preparation of an attractive field for
industrial enterprises; that the matters of organization, labor, power and financing are
important but in a sense are only details. He pointed out that in order to prepare the
field it must first be known what Seattle has to offer locally and in foreign market possi-
bilities, and that these advantages must be pressed home to the prospective industries. In
speaking of the foreign market he declared that Seattle may sell to the entire world such
primary products as timber, grain, fish and fruit, and advocated that the new fields in



502 • HISTORY OF SEATTLE

the Orient and Russia be visited by advance industrial agents of the Chamber of
Commerce to an effort to develop the trade with that territory.

On the 29th of June, 1905 Mr. Whitham married Miss Blanche Marie Evans, a
daughter of J. J. Evans, of Tacoma, Washington, who was of Welsh descent and as a
young man served with distinction in the Civil war. For many years he was a successful
contractor and builder of Minneapolis and later of Tacoma. He died May II, 191 1,
being survived by his wife, Mrs. Virginia Evans, now residing in Seattle.

Mr. and Mrs. Whitham are members of the West Seattle Congregational church and
he is a Mason, holding membership in Eureka Lodge at Seattle and in the Lodge of



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 59 of 142)