Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 6 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 6 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


paper life for thirty-five years. A Hoosier by birth, his experience has embraced the mid-
dle west, tlic east and the far northwest. His apprenticeship began at Indianapolis where
for seven years (1881-88) he served on the local press as reporter, political writer and
city editor. For seventeen years following {1888-05) continuously he was connected with
the Washington (D. C.) Post as news editor and managing editor. In 1906 he founded
and became the editor of the Washington (D. C.) Herald, and five years later came to the
coast to take his present position.

By reason of his long residence at the capital, covering five administrations, his
acquaintance is national, his duties having brought him into personal relationship with
presidents and public men of the last quarter of a century. He was president of the famous
Gridiron Club in 1910.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 43

A Seattle colleague recently wrote the following for a weekly publication regarding
Iiis identification with coast journalism: "Mr. Bone is equipped for newspaper work as
are few men in his profession, his long experience at the national capital having given him
extraordinary advantages. In Seattle as editor of the Post-Intelligencer, he has advanced
to instant favor on account of his broad views. As a newspaper man he takes the
position, 'Once a reporter, always a reporter.' In other words that the most powerful
and influential mission of the newspaper nowadays is to present facts: that the 'news in-
stinct' is always uppermost, no matter what the position with which a newspaperman may
be entrusted.

"The Post-Intelligencer, under Mr. Bone, gives ample expression, both in its news
columns and editorially, to the policies for wliich he has gained a national reputation."



ANDREW JEFFERSON NELSON, M. D.

Attracted by the glowing tales which he heard concerning the northwest. Dr. Andrew
JefTerson Nelson came to Seattle in 1907. nor did he find that the stories which he heard
concerning this country were exaggerated. He at once opened an office and from the
beginning has enjoyed a large and growing practice both in a private connection and as a
public official. He was born in Louisa county, Virginia. September 17, 1861. The Nelson
family traces its ancestry back to England, the founder of the American branch being
Thomas Nelson, who came to this country in 1746, landing at Yorktown. From this line
Dr. Nelson is descended. He is a son of Captain Andrew Jackson Nelson, who prior to
the Civil war was a prosperous and, in fact, wealthy planter and large slave owner. As
a result of conditions brought about through the war, however, he was reduced to straitened
financial circumstances. Advanced age and physical disability prevented him from joining
the Confederate army and participating in actual warfare, but he rendered service to the
southland in the care of the widows and orphans of his county, having received from
Jefl:'erson Davis a special appointment as commissioner in that capacity. His wife, Jane
(Crafton) Nelson, also deceased, was likewise a native of Virginia and her ancestors came
from England at an early period in the colonization of the new world, being among the
leading families that settled in King William county, Virginia. Jane C. Nelson was a woman
of very high ideals and exemplified the true spirit of the south. She was the mother of
ten children, four sons and six daughters. The eldest, James Nelson, A. M., D. D. LL. D.,
has been for twenty-five years and is now president of the Woman's College. Riclimond,
Virginia, and is known throughout the south as one of its foremost educators.

In early life because of the ravages of war Dr. Nelson was forced to suffer many
hardships and privations. He obtained his early education in the Gordonsville graded school
and the Rivana Academy, Fluvanna county, but ambitious to advance, utilized every oppor-
tunity that would enable him to add to his knowledge and in 1893 he was graduated from
Columbian University at Washington, D. C, having completed the medical course. After
his graduation he returned to Virginia and for fourteen years practiced in Richmond,
but the lure of the west was upon him and he made his way to Seattle, where he opened
an office for the general practice of medicine and has established himself as one of the
leading representatives of the profession in the city, enjoying a large and growing practice.
In addition he has served for five years in the United States quarantine department of the
public health service and for seven years on the health staff of the city of Seattle up to
and including 1914. He is now a member of the state medical examining board and for-
merly was treasurer of that body. He is also assistant surgeon in chief of the Sons of
Confederate Veterans, on the staff of Commander William N. Brandon.

On the J2d of December, 1890, in Richmond. Virginia. Dr. Nelson was married to Miss
Gertrude Sydnor, a native of the Old Dominion and a daughter of the late Captain Thomas
White Sydnor, a representative of a prominent pioneer family of that state. Dr. and
Mrs. Nelson have become the parents of four children, Andrew Fristoe. Ophelia, Lutillus
Livy Sydnor and Josephine.

The family residence is at No. 1139 Twentieth avenue, North, and Dr. Nelson has his



44 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

office in the Railway Exchange building. Fraternally he is connected with St. John's Lodge,
No. 9, F. & A. M., of Seattle, and with the Woodmen of the World at Richmond, Virginia.
He is a devout Christian man, holding membership in the Baptist church, and guides his
life according to its teachings. His political allegiance is given to the democratic party.
In his professional relations he is a member of the King County Medical, the Washington
State, the State of Virginia and the American Medical Associations. He places his profes-
sional activities and duties before all interests of pleasure or any outside connections and
the worth of his work is widely recognized. During the bubonic plague Dr. Nelson was
one of the active factors in stamping out the disease and has done much toward dissemi-
nating a knowledge of health conditions and improving sanitary conditions in Seattle.
His professional service in public office has indeed been of value and the consensus of
public opinion places him in a prominent position among his co-practitioners in Seattle.



JOHN M. FRINK.



There are life histories so stimulating that none can read without feeling a desire to
follow a similar course, owing to the respect which is engendered by the strength of
character, the strength of purpose and the strength of will which have brought the sub-
ject perhaps from obscurity into a place of prominence and fame. Such a record is that
of John M. Frink. Empty-handed at the outset of his career and with a large family of
brothers and sisters dependent upon him, he not only managed to gain a competence but
to win his way to the heights of prosperity, establishing in Seattle one of its greatest
industries — that of the Washington Iron Works. He was in the seventieth year of his
age when, on the 31st of August, 1914, he passed away, terminating a life of great useful-
ness, activity and honor.

Air. Frink was born January 21, 1845, in Montrose, Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania,
a son of the Rev. Prentiss and Dudamia (Millard) Frink, both of whom were of Norman
French ancestry. His ancestors were Huguenots and settled on Roanoke Island in 1664.
His father, who was a minister of the Baptist church, removed with his family to Madison
county. New York, during the boyhood days of John M. Frink, who pursued his
education in the public schools from 1854 until his father's death in 1861. He was the
eldest in a family of eight children. There was little left for the support of the family
following the father's demise and upon the eldest son therefore devolved the necessity
of providing funds to meet the family needs. He made his start by work as a farm
hand. Ambitious to enjoy better educational opportunities than had thus been accorded
him, he managed to save from his earnings a sufficient sum to enable him to
attend Washburn College, at Topeka, Kansas, having previously removed to Brown county,
Kansas, with his father's family, who located upon a farm there. He applied himself
most assiduously to the mastery of his studies and made progress in his school work,
so that when he was twenty-one years of age he had qualified for teaching and taught
for a few terms in the district schools.

The year 1874 witnessed his arrival in the west. At that time Seattle was just emerging
from the lumber camps into an embryo city. Mr. Frink had no 'difficulty in finding employ-
ment in Seattle but the occupation was not such as satisfied his laudable ambition. After
working for a time in a coal bunker he turned his attention to carpentering and later
obtained a position in the public schools. He became principal of the Belltown school
and later occupied a similar position in the public schools of Port Gamlile, Kitsap county,
where he remained for two years. He then entered into partnership with L. H. Tenney
under the firm style of Tenney & Frink, and in 1882 they organized the Washington Iron
Works, which was the first establishment of its kind in Seattle. The beginning was small
and humble but under the guiding hand of Mr. Frink the trade relations of the house
were extended and today the establishment is one of the most important industries of
the city, the plant covering several blocks of land and giving employment to hundreds.
From the beginning Mr. Frink was president of the company and his business grew
with the settlement and development of the northwest. It met a need in the demands of




JOIIX M. FKIXK



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 47

the growing country and in the conduct of his business he never swerved from the
highest standards in the excellence of workmanship and the output was from the highest
standards of business integrity. In addition to his other interests he established the first
electric light plant on the north Pacific coast, under the name of the Seattle Electric Com-
pany, also constructed the Central Railway Traction Company, and his business affairs
were ever of a nature that contributed largely to the public prosperity as well as to indi-
vidual success. In 1886 he became president and manager of the Seattle Street Railway
Company, and he erected what is known as the Washington Iron Works block.

Mr. Frink was twice married. In 1870 he wedded Hannah Phillips, who died in 1875,
and in 1877 he was united in marriage to Miss Abbie Hawkins, a daughter of Almon
Hawkins, of Illinois. His children are: Egbert, treasurer of the Washington Iron Works
Company; Gerald, assistant superintendent and master mechanic of the works; Francis
Guy", secretary of the company; and Helena and Ethena, twins. Helena is the wife of
Hamilton Coffin, a banker of Seattle; and Ethena is the wife of H. L. McGillis, a civil
engineer of Seattle.

Mr. Frink held membership in the First Presbyterian church, to which Mrs. Frink
still belongs, and his life was guided by its teachings and his Christian faith. There
was an interesting military chapter in his life record, for in 1863, at the time the Indians
perpetrated a massacre in Kansas, he enlisted in the Twenty-second Regiment of Home
Guards. His political allegiance was always given the republican party, and he was called
to a number of local offices. He was serving as a member of the board of aldermen of
Seattle when the first cable and electric street railway lines were installed. He was also
a member of the board of education and in 1890 he was elected to represent the Twenty-
fifth district in the state senate, where he remained for eight years, his capability in office
leading to his reelection. He studied closely the momentous questions which came up for
settlement before the assembly, and his influence was a progressive element in that body.
He was appointed by the mayor of Seattle a member of the board of park commissioners
in 1905, was reappointed in 1909 and for three years acted as its president. He belonged
to the Rainier, Arctic and Commercial Clubs and also the Seattle Golf Club and the
Earlington Golf Club of Seattle, and in those organizations was widely known and popular.
As a public-spirited citizen he made an unassailable record, but he was most widely known
perhaps as a thoroughly reliable, progressive, enterprising and substantial business man.
Men came to know that what he promised he would do and that his word was thoroughly
trustworthy. Moreover, he had the capability to develop and handle a mammoth enter-
prise, using constructive methods in the upbuilding of his business, so that his path was
never strewn with the wreck of other men's fortunes.



EDWARD H. WAUGH.



Edward H. Waugh is superintendent of the Smith Cannery Machine Company, one
of the important concerns of Seattle, and is also an inventor of ability, who has patented
a number of improved machines. He was born in the north of Ireland on the 26th of May,
187J. a son of Walter and Harriet Waugh, the former of whom died in Ireland at the age
of forty-five years, while the latter died in Kansas when thirty-nine years of age. Our
subject was brought to this country by his mother in 1884 and they located in Kansas. After
devoting a number of years to the machinery business in various parts of the United States
he came to Seattle in 1897 and twelve years later accepted the position of superintendent
of the Smith Cannery Machine Company, which was built in 1908. the plant is the best
equipped one for precision work west of Chicago and it has a large volume of trade,
covering the northwest. Mr. Waugh has proved very efficient as superintendent, discharg-
ing the responsible duties devolving upon him to the satisfaction of all concerned. He
understands machinery thoroughly and this technical knowledge, combined with his admin-
istrative ability, fits him admirably for his present office. In addition to his work as super-
intendent he has designed and patented a weighing machine, a cutter head for woodworking
machinery and also a canning machine called the auto cream wafer machine.
Vol. m— 3



48 HISTORY OF SEATTLE ' -

Mr. Waugh was married in February, 1898, to Miss Celia Durham, who was born in
Kansas but came to Seattle in 1889. They are the parents of two sons : Edward, whose
birth occurred on Christmas Eve, 1898; and John Horton, born May 23, 1903.

Mr. Waugh is a republican but as his business requires his entire time and attention
he has not taken an active part in politics. He is a Protestant in religious faith and has
taken the higher degrees in Masonry, belonging to Lawson Consistory, No. i, at Seattle, and
Medinah Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Chicago. He also holds membership in the Seattle
Athletic Club and is well known in this city, where he has won a place for himself as an
irnportant factor in its industrial development.



CHARLES E. NELSON.



Charles E. Nelson is well known as president of the Nelson Iron Works of Seattle,
which he organized for the manufacture of marine and railway equipment and in which
connection he has built up an extensive and successful business. His birth occurred Feb-
ruary 6, 1874, ill Sweden, in which country his parents passed away. The schools of his
native land afforded him his educational privileges and it was in the year 1893 that he
crossed the Atlantic to the United States and in 1903 he came to Seattle, Washington. He
was engaged in blacksmithing most of the time until he organized the Nelson Iron Works
and has since developed an extensive enterprise as a manufacturer of marine and railway
equipment. Prosperity has come to him in gratifying measure and he now owns an at-
tractive home in beautiful West Seattle as well as other property.

On October 18, 1900, Mr. Nelson was united in marriage to Miss Hannah Lindstrom,
of Rhode Island. They have one child, Beatrice Sylvia Alma, who was born in Med-
ford, Massachusetts, August 6, 1901. Mr. Nelson gives his political allegiance to the repub-
lican party and is a Protestant in religious faith, while fraternally he is identified with the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Brotherhood of American Yeomen. His busi-
ness ability is demonstrated in the success which he has won. He had no special advantages
to aid him at the outset of his career but he realized that energy, determination and honest
dealings are indispensable concomitants of. success. Through the employment of these
agencies he has constantly advanced and his business is one which adds to the industrial
activity and consequent prosperity of the city as well as to his individual prosperity.



JOHN MUELLER.



John Mueller, deceased, was the vice president of the Seattle Brewing & Malting Com-
pany and was long identified with that line of business in the city in which he made his
home. He w'as born in the Rheinpfalz, Germany, on the 4th of November, 1861, and his
•death dccurred in Seattle on the 23d of September, 1914, when he was in the fifty-third
year of his age. His parents were Adam and Elise (Blaesi) Mueller, in whose family were
eight children, all of whom came to America.

From the age of twelve years John Mueller depended upon his own resources. He
left home and was apprenticed to learn the brewer's trade, serving for a two years' term.
He came alone to America when a lad of but seventeen years, hoping to find better business
opportunities than he believed could be secured in his native country. After reaching the
Atlantic coast he made his way across the country to Chicago, where he joined two brothers
who were already located there. He first went to work at his trade in Blue Island, Illinois,
where he continued for two years, after which he removed to Ottawa, that state, becoming
foreman of a brewery there. In 1880 he returned to New York to enter the Brewers
Academy, where he pursued a year's course of general study in connection with the study
of the technique of the brewer's trade. Later he acted as foreman in the Ernst Brothers
brewery of Chicago for four years and for three years was foreman in the brewing house
of Lutz & Sons, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 49

The spell of the west was upon him, however, and in i8gi he arrived at Seattle, where
he entered the employ of the Clausson & Sweeney Brewing Company as foreman. Not
long afterward he purchased an interest in the business, which in 1893 was consolidated
with two other enterprises of similar character, thus forming the Seattle Brewing & Malt-
ing Company, of which Mr. Mueller was chosen superintendent and for some time was
the vice president, acting in both capacities at the time of his death. He thoroughly under-
stood every phase of the brewing business and thus contributed in large measure to its
success. He was also financially connected with the firm of Mueller Brothers, of Chicago.

It was during his residence in Chicago, in 1889, that Mr. Mueller was united in mar-
riage to Miss Bertha Diesing, a native of that city, and they became parents of three
children, Minnie, Chester and Marguerite. Mr. Mueller was a member of the Fraternal
Order of Eagles, of the Seattle Turnverein and of the German Club. From the time of
his arrival in Seattle he was deeply interested in the upbuilding and welfare of the city and
of the suburban town of Georgetown, where he maintained his residence. He served there
as a member of the school board and did much to further the interests of public education.
He was also chief of the old volunteer fire department of Georgetown, was a member of the
city council and for si.x years was mayor of the city, exercising his official prerogatives in
support of various plans and measures which have contributed to municipal progress and
all matters of civic virtue and civic pride. One who knew him well, himself a prominent
business man, said : "During the years I have known him, John Mueller has always appealed
to me as a fine type of manhood, one of the finest of those who came to Seattle when
the city was young and grew up with it." He was highly esteemed by the people of George-
town and deep and sincere were the expressions of sorrow heard on all sides when the
news of his sudden death was received.



ALBERT LORAIN VALENTINE.

Albert Lorain Valentine, superintendent of public utilities at Seattle, is a representa-
tive of one of the old American families of English origin. The first of the name to cross
the Atlantic was Richard Valentine, who emigrated from England and settled at Hempstead,
Long Island, about the year 1644. Obadiah Valentine, the third child of Richard Valentine,
who was a great-grandson of Richard the progenitor, fought in the Revolutionary war,
serving in the New Jersey state line under Captain Jonathan Summers. The parents of
A. L. Valentine were James K. and Catherine (Smith) Valentine, the latter a daughter of
Erastus Smith, who went to California in 1850 and died there.

Albert L. Valentine was born at Fontanelle, Adair county, Iowa, June 18, 1868, and
in 1875 accompanied his parents to California, where the mother died a few weeks later,
and the boy then came to Seattle to reside with his uncle, S. G. Benedict, who for many
years lived at Second avenue and Stewart street. He attended the Seattle public schools,
becoming a pupil in the grammar school under D. B. Ward at Third avenue and Pine street,
where the fire engine house now stands. He afterward attended high school under the
instruction of Miss Bean and Major E. S. Ingraham at the northeast corner of Third avenue
and Madison street. From the age of sixteen years he has depended upon his own resources
for a living, taking up engineering work. In 1886 he was employed by the Puget Sound &
Grays Harbor Railroad Company as a member of a surveying party and his work in that
connection probably gave course to his future career. He occupied a position in the office
of the city engineer of Seattle from 1887 until 1890 and subsecjuently was associated with
the Port Townsend Southern Railroad Company at Port Townsend as engineer in charge
of terminals. Later he was associated with the Northern Pacific Railway Company in
connection with the Seattle terminals and from 1892 until 1897 was assistant engineer of the
Oregon Improvement Company and chief clerk to the superintendent of the Columbia &
Puget Sound Railroad Company, one of the subsidiary companies of the Oregon Improve-
ment Company. In 1897 he was employed by the Northern Pacific Coal Company but in
the fall returned to the Oregon Improvement Company as manager of the store at Frank-
lin. Washington, where he remained until iSoo. During the summer of that year he was



50 ■ HISTORY OF SEATTLE

engaged in engineering work by the Great Northern Railway Company and in 1900 he went
to Nome, Alaska, where he remained for three years as manager of the Nome Trading
Company, a mercantile enterprise which under his direction soon acquired a splendid repu-
tation for the integrity of its business methods and the high grade of goods supplied to
the patrons. In April, 1902, Mr. Valentine was elected to the Nome council and by that
body was unanimously chosen mayor, in which office he discharged his duties with remark-
able ability and punctuality. He became recognized as one of the most progressive and
public-spirited citizens of the town, honest, sincere, enterprising.

Another office which he has held is that of county engineer of King county, in' which
capacity he served from 1905 until 1908 inclusive. His work in Seattle has been of an
equally important and valuable character. He laid out the North Trunk highway, Bothell
boulevard and the new road between Kirkland and Redmond, together with many others
of the principal highways. In fact the era of road building began during his incumbency
in office and his administration was the first to establish roads on grades instead of along
section lines regardless of grades. In 1906 Judge Hanford appointed him a member of
the Lake Washington canal commission. He became a member of the board of engineers
that investigated and reported on the Duwamish and Puyallup flood problem in April, 1907,
and he was a member of the board of engineers that laid out the Duwamish waterway, being
associated with R. H. Thomson and J. M. Clapp in that work in April, 1909. He was
appointed to the position of superintendent of public utilities on the 29th of September,

1909, by Mayor John F. Miller to fill out an unexpired term and on the ist of January,

1910, was reappointed for a full term of three years, while on the ist of January, 1913,



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 6 of 142)