Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 60 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 60 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Perfection of the Scottish Rite Temple of Seattle. He belongs to the Arctic Club and
the College Club and has important membership relations with fellow representatives of
the profession with which he is connected, for he is a member of the Northwest Society
of Civil Engineers, an associate member of the American Society of Civil Engineers and
of the Engineers' Club of Seattle. There have been no unusual chapters in his life
record and no esoteric phases. Ability and industry have brought him to his present
position of professional prominence, while public spirit has prompted him to put forth
the earnest and strenuous effort that has gained him place with the leading residents of
his city. His insight is keen and while he has a vision he has based it upon practical
knowledge and a thorough understanding of situations and conditions.



JOHN KELLEHER.



John Kelleher is engaged in law practice in Seattle as a member of the firm of Wright,
Kelleher & Caldwell. He is a native of Fenton, Michigan, and a son of Daniel and Kath-
erine Kelleher, both of whom were born in Ireland. His professional training was re-
ceived in the University of Michigan, from which he was graduated with the degree of
LL. B. as a member of the class of 1891. In the meantime he had engaged in the profes-
sion of school-teaching in Michigan and thus provided for the continuance of his educa-
tion in the law school. Following his graduation, he came to Seattle, where he has now
engaged in practice for almost a quarter of a century. For a considerable period he was
a member of the firm of Wright & Kelleher, but in 1912 they were joined by a third part-
ner under the firm style of Wright, Kelleher & Caldwell. They have a good clientage.

On the 19th of October, 1897, Mr. Kelleher was married in Seattle to Miss Agnes M.
Conklin, a daughter of Bernard and Anna Conklin, and they have two children, John
aiid Marion J. In his political views Mr. Kelleher is a democrat but without ambition
for office. His religious faith is that of the Catholic church and in club circles he is
well known as a member of the College Club and the Earlington Golf & Country Club.
During his long residence in the northwest he has become thoroughly imbued with the
spirit of progress and enterprise characteristic of this section of the country and he stands
for that which is most progressive in relation to the public welfare.



ROLLIN VALENTINE ANKENY.

Rollin Valentine Ankeny, vice president of the Seattle National Bank, was born at
Freeport, Illinois, September i, 1865, a son of Rollin V. and Sarah (Irvine) Ankeny.
The family comes of French and German ancestry and was early established in Wash-
ington county, Maryland, while representatives of the name were conspicuous in pioneer
times as soldiers of the Revolutionary war. Ewalt Ankeny, the great-great-grandfather
of Rollin V. Ankeny, served in the colonial army and became captain of the fifth company
of Bedford county, Pennsylvania, militia. Peter Ankeny, his son, was born and reared
in Maryland, but removed westward, becoming one of the early residents of Ohio. It
was in that state that General Joseph Ankeny, the grandfather, was born and eventually
he became one of the leading and influential representatives of business activity in that



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 503

state, conducting a mercantile enterprise. His son, Rollin V. Ankeny, Sr., was born in
Somerset county, Pennsylvania, in 1830. He not only attended the public schools but
also a college in his native state and throughout life followed the occupations of mer-
chandising and farming. During the Civil war he served with distinction as a brigadier
general in the northern army and in times of peace held numerous public offices. In
politics he was a staunch republican and religiously was a consistent member of the Chris-
tian church. He was a Knight Templar Mason and was also identified with the Benev-
olent Protective Order of Elks. At Millersburg, Ohio, he married Miss Sarah Irvine,
a daughter of Dr. Samuel Irvine of that place, and to them were born five children, of
whom two are still living: Rollin Valentine, of this review; and Mrs. Mary B. Hunter,
a resident of Des Moines, Iowa.

Rollin V. Ankeny, Jr., was a young lad when his parents removed from Freeport,
Illinois, to Des Moines, and there he was reared and educated. He made his initial step
in the business world as collection clerk in the Citizens National Bank there. He remained
for five years, having attained the position of bookkeeper before he resigned. The oppor-
tunities of the growing northwest attracted him, and in 1888 he came to Seattle to accept
a position with the Puget Sound National Bank. In this institution his worth and ability
have found recognition in successive promotions, bringing him at length to his present
responsible and enviable position as cashier. When this bank was merged with the Seattle
National Bank he became cashier of the new institution, which is the largest banking
house of Seattle. Mr. Ankeny devotes his entire time and attention to the duties of his
position and is known as one of the most courteous, considerate and helpful bankers of
the northwest. He is ever ready to extend the aid of the institution as far as possible,
yet careful not to jeopardize the interest of depositors or stockholders. His judgment is
sound and he has been a keen student of human nature.

In 1890 Mr. Ankeny was married to Miss Eleanor Randolph, a daughter of Jacob
Randolph, of Des Moines, Iowa, and they have one son, Irvine. Fraternally Mr. Ankeny
is an Elk and a Mason, while politically he is a republican but not an active party worker.
Genial and obliging, his cordiality never descends into familiarity, and he has about him
that dignity that does not permit it. However, he is extremely popular and all who know
him entertain for him the highest respect.



WINSLOW H. LORD.



Winslow H. Lord, an electrical engineer and one of the early residents of Seattle,
was born in Kennebec county, Maine, July 10, 1857. His father, William Henry Lord,
also a native of the Pine Tree state, died at Tolt, King county, Washington, July 4.
1908. In the year 1859 he had removed with his family to Minnesota and in 1883 he
came to the northwest, settling at Seattle. He laid out the town site of Tolt and also
engaged in the hotel business and in general merchandising there. Until the direct pri-
mary law went into effect there was never a republican convention held in King county
that Mr. Lord did not attend as a delegate and he was largely instrumental in shaping
the policy and directing the activities of his party in this section of the state. That he
was a loyal American citizen was indicated by his service as a soldier in the Union army
in the Civil war. He married Rosilla A. Hall, also a native of Maine, who died at Mon-
ticello, Minnesota, in 1875. Among the close relatives of Winslow H. Lord were some
of the first settlers of Washington territory.

Winslow H. Lord was but two years of age when he accompanied his parents to
Minnesota and there he pursued his education in the public schools. When a young man
of twenty-nine years he arrived in the northwest and the first thing that he noticed on
reaching Seattle was a piece of timber two by four extending from one tree to another
and with ropes dangling from it, an execution having occurred. This was on the site
where the Pioneer building now stands. Mr. Lord entered the employ of the first elec-
tric light company of Seattle and the first west of the Missouri river, in charge of over-
head construction, and later turned his attention to the contracting business in electric



504 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

wiring and lighting. He did the electrical work on the old Hotel Denny and other im-
portant early buildings of the city. In 1891 he removed to Ballard, where he erected a
residence that is still occupied by and is the home of four generations. At the time of its
building it was in the midst of a wilderness but is now within one block of the best high
school in the world. At the time of the great fire of June, 1889, Mr. Lord assisted in
directing the first stream of water upon the flames. He has done much important elec-
trical contract work and his business has been a growing and extensive one. He raised
the first sixty foot electric light poles ever erected in Seattle and had just finished raising
the last one when he heard the alarm of fire which marked the beginning of the destruc-
tion of the city twenty-seven years ago.

On the 24th of March, 1883, Mr. Lord was united in marriage to Miss Alice E.
De Long. Her father was a native of Ohio and died in Seattle July 30, 1895. Her
mother, who bore the maiden name of AL A. Phillips, is a native of Vermont and now
lives with Mr. and Mrs. Lord at the age of seventy-three years. Mrs. Lord established
the millinery store known as the Ballard Bandbox on Ballard avenue in 1898 and there
continued in business until 1902, when the store was removed to the Felt block, where
the Hotel Newton now stands. The present location of the business is at No. 2005 Market
street, in a building erected especially for the purpose. She carries a complete and most
attractive line of millinery and also a line of hand-painted china, while beauty parlors are
also conducted in connection with the establishment. She also has the agency for the
White Sewing Machine. Mrs. Lord made the first flag that floated over the school of
Ballard. To Mr. and Mrs. Lord have been born five children : Elmo C, who was born
April 7, 1884, at French Lake, Minnesota ; Eunice, born September 7, 1885, at Champlin,
Minnesota; Earl, who was born April 30, 1887, and died on the 8th of July of the same
year; Hazel, who was born Alarch I, 1890, at No. y22 Lake View, Seattle; and Keith,
born in Seattle, November 13, 1891.

Mr. Lord has been a member of the Odd Fellows lodge of Seattle for twenty-six
years and also belongs to the Knights of the Maccabees. In religious faith he is a Protestant,
while his political belief is that of the republican party, in which he was reared. He has
never seen occasion to change his political opinions, for he believes that the best interests
of the party are conserved through the adoption of a republican policy. For three decades
he has been a resident of Seattle and is familiar with most of the important events which
have shaped its history and directed its course during this period. All who know him
esteem him highly, for he has pleasant and attractive moral and social qualities which gain
him warm friendships.



WATSON C. SQUIRE.



There are few pages of the history of the development of the northwest upon which
the name of Watson C. Squire is not found. As governor and senator he guided the
political history of the state and as a business man he aided in utilizing the natural resources
of the west and in bringing about the era of empire building which has made Seattle a great
center of domestic and foreign trade. His activities were so important and so far-
reaching in their effect that he became known as one of the representative American citi-
zens with wide acquaintance throughout the nation.

It was at Cape Vincent, Jefferson county. New York, that Watson C. Squire first
opened his eyes to the light of day on the i8th day of Maj', 1838. His father was the
Rev. Orra Squire, a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church, who married Eretta
Wheeler. Both were natives of New York and were descended from English families
established on American soil during the colonial epoch in the history of this country.
The maternal grandfather, Ebenezer Wheeler, served as an American officer in the War of
1812.

In the acquirement of his education Watson C. Squire attended the public schools of
Oswego county. New York, until he reached the age of more than eleven years and then
became a student in Falley Seminary at Fulton, New York, which he attended at inter-




WATSOX C. SQUIRE



\ V" - ;
i



HY



... >.rii.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 507

vals for five years and still later spent a year in Fairfield Seminary in Herkimer county.
He had the advantage of the usual academic training and became well grounded in
Latin, Greek, Spanish and mathematics. He later entered Wesleyan University at Middle-
town, Connecticut, and was graduated from that institution with the class of 1859. He
has always felt a deep interest in the university and for thirty-eight consecutive years has
been one of its trustees. Following the completion of his college course, he began read-
ing law in Herkimer, New York, and later was made principal of the Moravia Institute at
Moravia, New York.

In the meantime the feeling between the north and the south was becoming more and
more strained over the question of slavery and the right of the states to settle such ques-
tions for themselves. Eventually war was declared and Mr. Squire was the first man in
his home town to enlist, becoming a member of Company F, Nineteenth Regiment of New
York Volunteer Infantry. He was elected to the captaincy of his company but refused to
serve, urging the selection of an older man, while he accepted the position of first lieu-
tenant. In the conflict which occurred ni Maryland and Virginia during the first six
months of the war, he took an active part and was also in Washington, D. C. He then
received an honorable discharge and returned to Cleveland, Ohio, for the purpose of
becoming a lawyer, believing, as did the great majority of the people of the north at the
time, tiiat the war was practically at an end. He had just been admitted to the bar at
Cleveland in 1862 when there was issued another call for troops and again Mr. Squire
responded without delay. He organized an independent company of sharpshooters, was
elected captain and joined General W. S. Rosecrans, of the Army of the Cumberland, in
Tennessee. The company remained in active duty until the close of hostilities and because
of exceptional meritorious service in the field was selected and acted as headquarters'
guard with General Sherman on his march to the sea. Captain Squire, after command-
ing his company and later serving at the head of the battalion of sharpshooters, was
made trial judge advocate of the department court under General Thomas. Later he
became judge advocate of the district of Nashville, middle Tennessee and northern Geor-
gia and Alabama on the staff of General Rousseau. He was the reviewing officer of all
military courts in the district, passing upon all findings and sentences and supervising the
work of twenty-one separate courts, twenty-seven' hundred cases coming under his atten-
tion, a record which received special mention from the judge advocate general. He was
also on active duty on several of the most hotly contested battlefields, being present at the
engagements of Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Resaca and Nashville, and was mus-
tered out of the service after the close of the war, on the loth day of August, 1865. He
was brevetted colonel by Secretary of War Stanton in recognition of his gallantry.

His company of Ohio Sharpshooters were remembered by General Sherman, who in a
complimentary order addressed to each officer and private soldier in this command,
attributed to them his own personal safety in the long and arduous campaigns. Colonel
Squire's name appears on the battle monuments at Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge.

When Colonel Squire returned to the north he settled at Ilion, New Y'ork, where he
accepted a position with the Remington Arms Company and eventually in that connec-
tion worked his way upward until he became secretary, treasurer and manager. His
work there brought him in contact with the representatives of many foreign powers and
he became recognized as an authority on firearms. He made sales to France, Spain,
Denmark, Sweden, Egypt, Mexico and other foreign governments and his efforts were a
vital force in winning the world-wide reputation for American-made arms. It was also
during the period of his connection with the Remington Companj' that the first type-
writer was invented and Colonel Squire signed the first contract ever made for the manu-
facture of these machines, thus being one of the original promoters of the new industry.

The pleasures of home life also came to him about this period. He was married Decem-
ber 23, 1868, to Miss Ida Remington, granddaughter of the founder of the Remington
Arms Company and tliey became the parents of four children, of whom the two sons.
Remington and Shirley now reside in Seattle. The younger daughter, Marjorie, is now the
wife of John F. Jennings, an attorney of Springfield, Massachusetts, and the elder daugh-
ter, Aidine, is the wife of A. V. White, of Toronto, Ontario.

During the Franco-Prussian war in 1870 the Remington Arms Company supplied the

Vol. m— 22



508 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

French government with arms and ammunition and in eight months dispatched twenty
shiploads of war material. Colonel Squire had charge of the immense business in New
York and received, principally through the Rothschilds and Morgan & Company, of Lon-
don, about fourteen million dollars in gold. In company with Mr. Remington he went to
Paris to meet the grand committee on contracts at Versailles and was tendered the thanks
of France by the Duke d'Audifret Pasquier, president of the grand committee of sixty
members. He was also received with marked favor by M. Leon Garabetta, then the
leading statesman of the French republic. Afterward Colonel Squire again went abroad,
spending nearly two years in England, Germany, Switzerland, Russia, Sweden, France,
Italy, Spain, Turkey and Greece. Colonel Squire improved his time to good advantage,
not only winning many friends during his residence abroad but also gaining wide and
intimate acquaintance with the life of the European capitals, with the works of art and
with international politics. He studied the military situation of the different countries and
while he was in Europe he commenced to study the plans of coast defense, which he
was later instrumental in embodying in the laws of this country. After returning to
America Colonel Squire spent the winter in the City of Mexico, where he lived on terras
of business and personal friendship with President Porfirio Diaz and members of his
cabinet.

The northwest marks the month of May, 1879, as the moment in its history at which
Colonel Squire made his first trip to the Sound country, proceeding from San Francisco
whither he had gone on business, to Washington territory. Three years before, he had
made some investment in property in the Sound country and when he visited this region in
1879 he saw the possibilities for the development of its natural resources and decided to
become a factor in its development. His wide training and experience as a business man
and as a student of national and international affairs led him to the belief that there would
be a great empire builded in this section of the country and he resolved to make his home
here. In 1880 Henry Villard, who had obtained an option on the property of the Ore-
gon Steamship Navigation Company and had made plans for the building of the Oregon
Railroad & Navigation Company lines along the south bank of the Columbia from Port-
land to Wallula, brought to the country eastern capitalists, hoping to secure their coopera-
tion in his plans. Colonel Squire was invited to join the party. The result of this trip
was that the Oregon Railroad & Navigation Company line was constructed and Colonel
Squire induced Mr. Villard to purchase the narrow gauge line from Seattle to Newcastle,
now the Columbia & Puget Sound and the coal mines at Newcastle. From these purchases
the Oregon Improvement Company was formed, afterward changed to the Pacific Coast
Companj', controlling coal lines, railroads and ocean vessels, all of which became import-
ant elements in the early development and improvement of the northwest. The railroad
line to the coal mines was known as the Seattle & Walla Walla Railroad and it was
expected at that time to extend the railroad across the mountains to connect with the
Northern Pacific, which, however, did not cross the Cascades until eight years later. It
was not until 1883 that Portland was connected with the east by rail, joining the Northern
Pacific, at which time Villard extended the line to Wallula to connect with the Oregon
Railroad & Navigation. This move seemed to leave Seattle hopelessly out of competition
with Portland. Then followed the dearth in the activity of Seattle's upbuilding but Colonel
Squire never lost faith in the country and its future and concentrated his energies upon
building operations in the city and the improvement of farm lands, which he acquired
in the White river and Black river valleys. His vi'ise investment in real estate made him
in 1890 the largest taxpayer in King county.

Colonel Squire was especially interested in public affairs and before removing from
the east had served in New York on the state central committee. He also attended
many conventions and had a wide acquaintance with the foremost statesmen of that sec-
tion of the country, including Grant, Conkling, Garfield, Arthur, while Theodore Roose-
velt was just coming into prominence. Colonel Squire made frequent trips to the east and
has maintained his acquaintance and friendship with the leaders of that section of the
country. He was also active in affairs relating to the territory and in 1884 President
Arthur appointed him governor of the territory, which position he filled under President
Cleveland for two years after tendering his resignation, because his successor was not



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 509

appointed by the democratic administration. History was at that time in the making in
the great northwest and many and arduous were the duties which devolved upon the
chief executive : as there came up to him questions for settlement relative not only to the
welfare of the territory at the moment but also affecting its later destiny. His published
reports to the secretary of the interior reflect clearly the conditions which he met; and his
lucid and systematic reports of the great opportunities of Washingon had large influence
in bringing home makers westward. His earlier experiences enabled him to establish many
branches of the territorial government on a practical basis, new buildings were erected
for public institutions, such as the penitentiary at Walla Walla, the insane hospital at
Steilacoom and the school for defective youth at Vancouver.

Under his direction great improvements were made in the territorial university, the
militia of the state was put upon a sound footing and the system of coal mine inspection
was inaugurated. Colonel Squire recommended to the administration at the national
capital that Washington be made a state at the earliest opportunity but this was not done
until 1889. Because of his thorough understanding of conditions Colonel Squire's advice
and recommendations proved of the utmost value when substantial laws were drafted for
the territory — laws which would be adequate to the needs of the territory in later years,
with its increasing wealth and population. Much of the legislation enacted during his
term has since remained in force on the statute books of the state.

Among the most memorable occurrences of Colonel Squire's term was the anti-Chinese
riots in the fall of 1885 and in February, 1886. Already large numbers of Chinese had
become residents of Seattle and their number was constantly augmented through the
operation of smugglers in defiance of the somewhat loosely drawn exclusion acts. The
white population resented the entrance of the yellow race and feeling ran very high, so that
a movement was started to forcibly drive the Chinese from the territory. Many of their
number voluntarily left for Portland and San Francisco. Tacoma, with its race war, drove
all the Chinese out of the town on the 3rd day of November, 1885, and riots occurred at
the mines in King county, where several Chinese were killed. Sherififs in the two coun-
ties whom Governor Squire had ordered to swear in a sufficient number of deputies to
maintain the peace, declared that they could handle the situation.

In February, 1886, Governor Squire issued two proclamations, called out the national
guard and eventually decided to proclaim martial law, which act was at once approved
by President Cleveland and was followed by the arrest of numerous rioters. His firm
stand soon put an end to the delicate situation that had attracted the attention of the
nation. His later reports to the government embodying a complete list of the losses of



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 60 of 142)