Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 66 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 66 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Company, both Stone & Webster properties. In that position he served for several years
or until 1909, when he was transferred to Minneapolis as assistant to A. W. Leonard,
at that time vice president and manager of the Minneapolis General Electric Company.
During some of the trying times of that company and until 1912, when Stone & Webster
sold the company, which had then become very successful, Mr. McGrath held tlie position
of assistant general manager. In June, 1912, he returned to the Boston office and took
up expert work for the firm in connection with the examination, analysis and organization
of new properties and reports for other interests, banking houses, etc.

In November, 1913, Mr. McGrath came to Seattle as assistant to the vice president of
the Puget Sound Traction. Light & Power Company, which position he held until



548 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Mr. Leonard's election to the office of president, when he was appointed manager of
the company and in December, 1914, was made vice president in charge of all operations
on Puget Sound. He now has control of important interests, for the business of the
company is of extensive proportions in Seattle, Tacoma, Everett and Bellinghara. His
executive control and administrative direction are important forces in the successful
conduct of the business and he is thus prominently associated with one of the foremost
enterprises of this section of the country.

In October, 1906, in Houghton, Michigan, Mr. McGrath was united in marriage to
Miss Nan M. Turner, by whom he has two children, Marion and Katharine. He is a
popular member of the Rainier Club, the Seattle Golf Club, the Earlington Golf and
Country Club, the Seattle Tennis Club and the Harvard Club. Mr. McGrath is a typical
man of the age. He plays well and works well and both are equally essential in an evenly
balanced character. In a word, he has that concentration which enables him to give
his entire thought to the matter in hand and thus he brings to bear all of his force
and power upon the accomplishment of his purpose. He finds real pleasure in business
and has ever remained its master, never allowing it to master him. He has found that
activity does not tire but gives resisting force, and the exercise of effort keeps him alert.



ROBERT G. WESTERMAN.

Robert G. Westerman, a man of strict business integrity, who for a quarter of a cen-
tury was active in the upbuilding of Seattle, where for twenty-six years he made his home,
was instrumental in the establishment of the Westerman Iron Works and remained presi-
dent of the company until his demise. A native of Michigan, he was born in Coldwater, in
1843, and came of Swedish lineage. His parents, Peter and Peternella (Nystrom) Wester-
man, were both natives of Sweden but in 1841 left that country and sailed for the United
States. Making their way westward, the father engaged in agricultural pursuits in Michi-
gan until 1849, when, prompted by the discovery of gold on the Pacific coast, he went to
California, where he engaged in placer mining. In 1855 he returned with his wife to
Sweden. Both were of the Lutheran faith and closely adhered to that belief.

Robert G. Westerman acquired his early education under his mother's careful guid-
ance, having the privilege of attending school for only four months, this being when he was
in Sacramento, California. He was a little lad of but ten summers when he began learning
the blacksmith's trade with an uncle. In 1867 he went to Chicago, where for eleven months
he was employed in the shops of the Illinois Central Railroad Company and subsequently
he worked for the Central Pacific Railroad Company in California and in Nevada, also
holding responsible positions in large mines and iron works of those states. He became
chief engineer and blacksmith for the Consolidated Virginia mine and v/as associated with
other prominent mining interests. He afterward went to Arizona on a mining e.xpedition
and spent some time in the employ of the Contention Mining & Mill Company. He next
engaged in mining on his own account at Tombstone, Arizona, where he remained for a
year and a half. Disposing of his interests there he went to Mexico as representative of a
leading mining company, and in that country was engaged in erecting mining machinery
at various places. When he left the south it was for the purpose of going to ^Vlaska but
changing his plans he made his way to tlie mines of Idaho, at Eagle City, where he engaged
in mining for three years. For a time he met with substantial success there but after leaving
that countrj' he lost his entire earnings.

The year 1886 witnessed the arrival of Mr. Westerman in Seattle, where for a year
and a half he worked for wages but in 1888 he embarked in business on his own account,
starting his enterprise in a humble way. with only one forge. He closely applied himself
to the work of upbuilding the business and under his able control the trade grew steadily,
so that in 1889 he was obliged to seek more commodious quarters. The building into which
he then moved was completed on the 20th of May but on the 6th of June of the same
3'ear was entirely destroyed by the terrible fire that swept over the city, thus causing the
loss of th« savings of Mr. Westerman in a few moments. He was never discouraged in




ROBERT G. WESTKKMAX



K






HISTORY OF SEATTLE 551

the face of the gravest obstacles, however, and with undaunted perseverance and courage
set to work to again upbuild his fortunes. He built a shop and in a short time was alilc
to establish a plant larger than the one he had before. In fact he erected three different
shops in one year. In 1898 the business was incorporated under the name of the Wester-
man Iron Works, with Mr. Westerman as the president and A. T. Timmerman, secretary.
These two gentlemen owned the entire plant, which became one of the important industrial
undertakings of the city. It was well equipped with the latest improved machinery and
everything possible was done to facilitate the work. He was ever ready to put forth effort
to gain a start and to lend a helping hand or speak an encouraging word to those who were
endeavoring to gain a foothold in the business world.

In 1883 Mr. Westerman was united in marriage to Mrs. Harriet Ray Compton, who by
her former marriage had a son, John Ray Compton. By the second marriage there was
born one son, Frank. Mr. Westerman was a republican and his interest in politics was that
of a citizen who recognizes the duties and obligations as well as the privileges which come
to the American man. In Masonry he was well known. He belonged to Eureka Lodge,
No. 20, F. & A. M., Seattle Commandery, No. 2, K. T. and to Nile Temple of the Mystic
Shrine, and when he passed away, October 28, 1912, at the age of sixty-nine years, the funeral
services were conducted by his Masonic brethren. He had always been most loyal to the
teachings of the craft and his life exemplified its beneficent spirit. One who knew him
well said of him: "He was known as a man of seasoned judgment, large experience and
extreme fairness. His business integrity was unquestioned and he always showed a dis-
position and willingness to serve humanity, yet with quietness and unostentation. His
attitude toward younger business men with whom he was associated in various ways was con-
siderate far beyond the average man. He was glad to encourage them for the right, was
interested in their plans, a father in his kindness and tenderness. As such he will be remem-
bered by those who know him best."



JUDGE MORRIS BENEDICT S/\CHS.

Judge Alorris Benedict Sachs, a leading and able attorney of Seattle, was born in
Louisville, Kentucky, December i, 1859. His father, Benedict Sachs, a native of Germany,
became one of the early merchants of Cincinnati, Ohio, and subsequently of Louisville.
Kentucky. At a later date he returned to Cincinnati, where he engaged in the shoe
manufacturing business under the name of The Sachs Shoe Manufacturing Company,
and the house, maintaining an uninterrupted existence, is still one of the leading enter-
prises of the city, being conducted by two sons of the founder. Benedict Sachs died
in 1880. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Henrietta Lipstine, was born in
Germany and -passed away in Cincinnati, Ohio, in January, 1908.

Morris B. Sachs acquired his literary education in the public schools of Cincinnati,
completing a course in the Hughes high school of that city in 1878. He then entered
the law department of the Cincinnati Law College and was graduated therefrom in 1880
with the degree of Doctor of Law. The same year he was admitted to practice before
the supreme court of Ohio and there followed his profession until 1883, when he came
to Washington, locating at Port Townsend, where he practiced successfully until the
territory was admitted to the Union. In 1889 he was elected a judge of the superior
court of the state of Washington for Jefferson, Clallam, Island, San Juan and Kitsap
counties. A man of unimpeachable character, of unquestioned integrity, of patience,
urbanity and industry, with a profound knowledge of the law, he took to the bench the
very highest qualifications for that important office, and his course on the bench justified
the trust reposed in him by his election to the position. In January, 1893, on his retire-
ment, he resumed the practice of law at Port Townsend and there remained until
December, 1897, wlien he came to Seattle. In 1899 he formed a partnership with Julius F.
Hale for the practice of law, which continued until the death of Mr. Hale in May, 1908,
since which time he has continued alone in the practice of his profession at Seattle.
Judge Sachs was also one of the original promoters and owners of the Port Angeles
Vr.l. in— 24



552 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Mill & Lumber Company, which was among the first of the state to manufacture cedar
shingles on Puget Sound and ship them to the markets of the east. A sawmill was also
operated in connection, which was one of the first sawing clear cedar lumber tor the
manufacture of doors, sash and general finishing work. Thus the Judge was actively
connected with the development of an industry which has become very important in the
northwest, adding largely to the wealth of this section of the country.

In 1889 Judge Sachs was united in marriage to Miss Mattie Landes, a daughter of
Colonel Henry Landes, of Port Townsend, Washington. She passed away in the year
1891 and on the loth of March, 1893, Judge Sachs was again married, his second union
being with Miss Annie L. Storey, who was born in Victoria, British Columbia. Her
father, Thomas Storey, was a pioneer of that country and a representative of an old
English family, while his wife belonged to a prominent Irish family. The Judge has two
children, one a daughter, by his first wife, and the other a son, by his second wife, both
of whom reside with him at Seattle, Washington. Mrs. Annie L. (Storey) Sachs died
at Seattle in the year 1901.

Politically Judge Sachs is a republican, active and earnest in his advocacy of the
principles of the party, and has attended as a delegate the county, territorial and state
conventions. He served as city attorney and city treasurer of Port Townsend, also
acted as a member of the city council and was assistant prosecuting attorney of Jefterson
county under Hon. Charles M. Bradshaw, his former partner in Port Townsend. He has
cared little for office outside the path of his profession, for he is devoted to his chosen
calling and has therein attained honorable and enviable distinction.



FRANK J. ENNESSER.



Frank J. Ennesser, manager of the Eureka Silk Manufacturing Company, with offices
in the Pacific building at Seattle, was born October 9, 1870, in Chicago. Illinois, a son of
Lewis and Catherine (Schott) Ennesser. The parents were natives of Strasburg, Ger-
many. Frank J. Ennesser, the tenth in order of birth in their family, acquired his early
education in the public schools of Chicago and when but eleven years of age entered
the employ of a silk company of that city, learning the business. He has been with the
present company since 1912. He came to Seattle in 1905, taking up his permanent abode
here. The company deals in spool silks over the territory that embraces Oregon, Idaho,
Washington and Montana and in fact the entire United States. The interests of this
company in the northwest are represented by two traveling salesmen and the business
is well known in the field which they cover and is growing rapidly. The Eureka Silk
Manufacturing Company is one of the oldest in the line in America, having been estab-
lished in 1840, and throughout all the intervening years has enjoyed an unassailable repu-
tation for business enterprise and reliability. Mr. Ennesser now has entire charge of its
affairs in the northwest and from his headquarters in Seattle directs the interests and
expansion of the business in this territory.



FRED L. RICE.



Fred L. Rice, member of the Seattle bar, was born at Butler Center, Iowa, Novemlier
4, 1858. His father, Orson Rice, was a native of New York and a lawyer by profession,
becoming one of the most prominent attorneys of northwestern Iowa. He settled in
that state in the early '50s and for four years filled the office of prosecuting attorney,
at which time in his office he had jurisdiction over one-third of the state, covering all
of northwestern Iowa. He was the founder of the Spirit Lake Beacon of Spirit Lake,
which was the first newspaper established in that section, and he continued to conduct
and publish it for about five years. His efforts were a most potent element in developing
his section of the state and promoting its material progress. He died in Bussey, Iowa,



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 553

in November, 1897, when seventy-seven years of age, and his wife, Mrs. Anna L. Rice,
passed away at the home of her son George in Flandreau, South Dakota, at the age of
eighty-five years, after which her remains were taken back to Spirit Lake for interment.
She was born in Devonshire, England, April 17. i8j8. and when four years of age was
brought to America, residing on Long Island and in central New York until she accom-
panied her parents to Illinois, her father securing government land near Kankakee. The
family was in limited financial circumstances and through her own efforts she secured a
good education, after which she taught school for five or six years. At Joliet, Illinois,
on Christmas day of 1851, she became the wife of Orson Rice and they resided at Kan-
kakee until 1833, when they went to Butler county, Iowa, and in July, 1864, removed to
Spirit Lake. There Mrs. Rice spent the greater part of her time until she went to the
home of her son in South Dakota, where she passed away. Her husband had been
previously married and had two children: Clara E.. of St. Paul; and Orson, who died in
Hudson, South Dakota, in 1912. The children of the second marriage were five in number:
William H., of Bussey, Iowa; George, of Flandreau. South Dakota: Fred L., of this
review; Adeline, who died in infancy; and Eva, who died at the age of twenty years.
The mother of these children was a woman of most admirable and lovable character.
She possessed many sterling traits worthy of all praise, was a kind neighbor, a faithful
friend and a devoted wife and mother and was one of those brave pioneer women who
do so much to make life on the frontier endurable. She had friends because she was a
friend to everybody and she won love because she loved all mankind.

Fred L. Rice acquired his education in the public schools of Spirit Lake and at the
age of eighteen years began teaching, which profession he followed in the same school in
which he had received his education. While thus engaged he devoted his leisure hours
to the study of law and was admitted to the bar April 9, 1880. after which he practiced
with his father at Spirit Lake under the firm style of Rice & Rice, there remaining until
March, 1884, during which time he acted as attorney for the Des Moines & Northern
Railroad, a branch of the Wabash & Missouri Pacific. In the year mentioned he removed
to Flandreau, South Dakota, where he entered upon the practice of law witli his Iirothcr
George, that connection continuing under the firm style of Rice Brothers until 1891.

In 1891 Fred L. Rice arrived in Washington and practiced law at South Bend until
1901, when he came to Seattle, where he has since continuously followed his profession
with increasing success. At South Bend he served for two years as prosecuting attorney
and on the 1st of June. 1899. was appointed by Governor J. H. Rodgers as one of two
commissioners to determine the boundaries of the state and through his efforts and work
saved to the state several millions of dollars. His law practice has been largely along the
line of corporation law and titles and has been of an important character. He has liad
many prominent clients and his business has established him in a conspicuous and creditable
position at the Seattle bar. He is now a member of the King County Bar Association.
In April, 1904,' he went to Europe, spending six months abroad in promoting a prominent
deal for a local corporation, which he effectually completed. In addition to his other
interests he has large realty holdings in Seattle and he resides at Auburn. Washington,
where he conducts a ranch.

On the 31st of October, 1883, at Spirit Lake, Iowa, Mr. Rice was united in marriage
to Miss Ella J. Phillips, a native of Maryland and a daughter of Richard E. Phillips,
who was an old settler of Seattle, acted as superintendent of the Oregon Improvement
Company and became prominent in social and commercial circles. His demise occurred
when he had attained the age of eighty-four. To Mr. and Mrs. Rice have been born
seven children, one daughter and six sons, three of whom are deceased. Clifford, a resi-
dent of Seattle, married Miss Althea Parshal, of Seattle, by whom he has two children,
Althea Lavilla and Charles Raymond. Fred, a stockman and rancher of King county.
wedded Miss Henrietta Pero, by whom he has one child, Leslie. Ralph is thirteen years
of age and a thorough musician on the piano, having played before audiences and now
teaching a large class in Seattle. Enid E. Rice lives at home.

In his political views Mr. Rice is an earnest republican and lias been an active party
worker in both South Dakota and Washington. Fraternally he is a Royal Arch Mason and
a member of the Knights of Pythias and for three terms he served as chancellor com-



554 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

mandL'i of Willapa Lodge, No. 72, K. P., of South Bend. His Masonic connections are
with Gavel Lodge, No. 48, F. & A. M. ; and Orient Chapter, No. 19, R. A. M., of Flandreau,
South Dakota. His religious faith is indicated in his membership in the Methodist
church and his life has exemplified high and honorable purposes and principles whicli
have guided him in all of his relations public and private.



LEO S. SCHWAEACHER.



In Seattle, the city of his nativity, Leo S. Schwabacher has won for himself a credit-
able position in business circles as the vice president of the Schwabacher Hardware Com-
pany and also of the Gatzert-Schwabacher Land Company. He was born December 26,
1871, a son of Sigmund and Rose Schwabacher. The former came to Washington in
1861 and the latter ten years later. In 1882 they removed to San Francisco, where they
have since made their home. Leo S. Schwabacher is a nephew of Mr. and Mrs. Bailey
Galzert, who arrived in Seattle in 1869, the latter being the only sister of the Schwabacher
brothers. Mr. Gatzert was the founder of the business of Schwabacher Brothers, which
is now Schwabacher Brothers & Compam-, Incorporated, and was also the founder of
the Schwabacher Hardware Company. In fact he was a pioneer business man of the
city who contributed in large and substantial measure to the growth and development of
the material interests of Seattle.

Leo S. Schwabacher was a lad of eleven years when he accompanied his parents to
San Francisco, where he attended school. His early business training came to him in
the line of the hardware trade and, making good use of his time and opportunities, he
has advanced steadily step by step until he now occupies a prominent place in com-
mercial circles of the city. His interests are extensive and important, for he is con-
nected with corporations that figure prominently in the business life of Seattle, being
vice president of the Schwabacher Hardware Company, vice president of the Gatzert-
Schwabacher Land Company and a trustee of Schwabacher Brothers & Company,
Incorporated.

On the 1st of January, 1902, in San Francisco, Mr. Schwabacher was united in mar-
riage to Aliss Edna Blum, a daugliter of Moses and Bertha Blum, of California. They
have two children, Morton and Bertha, who are twelve and seven years of age respectively.
Mr. Schwabacher holds to the faith of the Jewish race. He is a non-partisan in politics,
supporting measures and movements which he deems of value and benefit to the public
without regard to party afiiliation. He is a Mason of high standing and has crossed the
sands of the desert with the Nobles of Nile Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He is also a
member of the Native Sons of Washington. While a portion of his youth was spent in
California, the greater part of his life has been passed in Seattle and his ability and
worth have brought him to a prominent place in the foremost ranks of the business men
of his native citv.



C. BENSON WOOD, M. D.



Dr. C. Benson Wood, physician and surgeon of Seattle, possesses those qualities from
which success comes as a logical sequence. Deep and continuous interest in his profession
has led to the acquirement of broad knowledge and skill and a recognition of his professional
powers on the part of the profession and the public has gained for him an extensive
practice. He born in Kensington, New York, December 11, 1876, a son of Benson B. and
Christina (O'Neil) Wood, and a direct descendant of Hugh O'Neil, lieutenant governor of
Ireland.

Dr. Wood began his education in the public schools, passing through consecutive grades
until after leaving the high school, and he completed his studies in the University of
Pennsylvania. In preparation for a professional career he entered Hahnemann Medical



HISTORY OF SEATTLE ' 555



College at Philadelphia and has since studied in the New York Medical College and Hospital,
the Ophthalmic College of New York, Flower Hospital of New York and the Metropolitan
Hospital of New York. His broad experience in these connections have brought him into
close relation with the most advanced methods and thought of the profession, and his
ability is acknowledged by his contemporaries and his colleagues. He became a resident
of Seattle in February, 1904, and in his practice he has specialized in the field of otology,
rhinology and laryngology and his practice has assumed very extensive proportions. Along
professional lines he has important membership connections, belonging to the King County
Medical Society, Tri-State Medical Association, the American Medical Association, the
Pacific Coast Society of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology and Puget Sound Academy of
Oplithalmology, Rhinology and Laryngology. He is now rhinologist, laryngologist and
otologist for the Seattle City Hospital and the King County Hospital. He is a member of
the Swedish Hospital Clinic Society.

Dr. Wood was married on the 12th of June, 1907, to Miss Alignon Edwards, at Seattle,
where tliey maintain an attractive home, justly celebrated for its warm hearted hospitality.
Dr. Wood has a military record as lieutenant in command of the First Division of N. M. W.
He was executive officer of the U. S. S. Concord from July 15, 1911, to March id. 1914,
at which time he was commissioned surgeon in chief of the United States Naval Reserve
of Washington. Along strictly social lines his connection is with the Seattle .'\lhktic and
Seattle Yacht Clubs, in both of which he has been an oflicial, and has also held office in
the University of Washington Golf Club and the Automobile Club.



C. C. BRAS.



Since 1890 C. C. Bras has devoted his attention to the publication of educational
jotirnals and in this connection his work has been of a most important character, as his
purpose is to uphold the liighest and best interests of education. He was born in Louisa
county, Iowa, August 2, i860, a son of C. W. and Hannah Mary Bras. The father, a
native of Ohio, became a member of the bar and attained prominence in his profession



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 66 of 142)