Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 68 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 68 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


never forgets where his first duty lies and Seattle has reason to be proud to name him
as a representative of her citizenship.



PHILIP REXFORD WAUGHOP, M. D.

Dr. Philip Rexford Waughop is a leading physician and surgeon of Seattle who is
accorded an extensive and gratifying practice in recognition of his professional skill. His
birth occurred in Blue Island, Illinois, on the 1st of February, 1868, his parents being Jjhn
Wesley and Eliza Susan (Rexford) Waughop. He is a descendant of Captain James
Waughop, who in 181 1 escaped in his merchantman from a pursuing British man-of-war by
shooting down its main mast with his one cannon. John W. Waughop, the father of our
subject, built up the Western Washington Hospital for the Insane and served as its super-
intendent from 1880 until 1897.

Philip R. Waughop pursued his more advanced education in Harvard University, which
institution conferred upon him the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1890. He subsequently
entered the Harvard Medical School and in 1894 received the degree of M. D. While a
student there he was elected president of his class. From 1893 until 1895 he served as
house officer of the Boston City Hospital and in the former year also acted as house officer
of the Boston Lunatic Asylum. From 1900 until 1903 he discharged the duties devolving
upon him as Hawaiian government physician and health officer, having during the three
years previous to 1900 assisted his father if. the same capacity. During the period of his
residence in Seattle he has won and maintained an enviable reputation as a most able
physician and surgeon and has enjoyed a lucrative practice. He has made numerous contri-
butions to medical journals regarding skin affections, leprosj-, etc. His membership relations
are with the Harvard Club of Seattle, the Harvard Medical Alumni Association, the Boston
City Hospital Alumni Association, the King County Medical Society and the Washington
State Medical Society.



WILLIS A. CALDER.



Willis A. Calder, manager of the Rainier Printing Company, was born in Ogle county,
Illinois, December 15. 1S72. His father, Francis H. Calder. a native of New York, removed
to Ogle county in 1857. becoming one of the pioneer residents of that district. He devoted
his entire life to the work of the Methodist Episcopal ministry until he retired in recent
years. He is now a resident of Renton. Washington. .-Xt the time of the Civil war he
enlisted from Iowa, joining the army before he attained his majority and serving for three
years. He was under the command of General Phil Sheridan and was wounded at Cedar
creek. He married Jennie A. Rucker and they now occupy a pleasant home at Renton.
Mrs. Calder is a native of Illinois, her parents having been pioneer residents of that state.
She has a half brother who recently celebrated the ninety-ninth anniversary of his birth
and nearly all the people of Ogle county, Illinois, joined heartily in the celebration.

Willis A. Calder, an only son, was educated in the public schools of the west. The
itinerant custom of the Methodist minister led the family to reside in various places and
he attended school in several different towns in Nebraska, where his father was preaching.
He afterward became a student in Santion Academy, of Oregon, and was graduated with
the class of 1888. He also attended Willamette University at Willamette. Oregon, where
he completed a course by graduation in 1890. When his education was finished he entered
upon newspaper work in connection with the Brownsville Times at Brownsville, Oregon,



566 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

of which he was editor for three years. During the succeeding two years he was assistant
principal of the public and high schools at Brownsville and was then made principal, which
position he continued to fill for three years, the schools making steady advance under his
direction. In February, 1899, he came to Seattle and established business under the name
of the Rainier Printing Company. He began on a comparatively small scale but his patronage
has steadily increased and he today has one of the leading printing shops of the city,
employing on an average ten people. His success is due to strict attention to his business,
study of the trade and earnest effort to please his customers.

In politics Mr. Calder is a republican but has never sought nor filled public ofhce. He
is prominent in fraternal circles, holding membership with the Druids, the Modern Woodmen
of America, the. Knights of Pythias and the Dramatic Order of the Knights of Khorassan,
the Sons of Veterans, the Pressmen's Union and the Typographical Union. His religious
faith is that of the Methodist church, to which he also closely adheres. His has been an
active and well spent life, in which earnest purpose and honorable eiTort have carried him
steadily forward to success and have won for him the warm regard of all with wliom he
has been associated.



ARTHUR HERBERT DIMOCK.

Arthur Herbert Dimock has held the important position of city engineer in Seattle
since November, 191 1, and in that connection has given highly satisfactory and capable
service. His birth occurred in Windsor, Nova Scotia, on the 17th of May, l86s, his
parents being Isaiah S. and Jane A. (Marshall) Dimock. The family traces its American
ancestry back to Elder Timothy Dimock, who settled in Barnstable, Massachusetts, in 1639.

Arthur H. Dimock pursued his more advanced education in Kings College of Windsor,
Nova Scotia, which institution conferred upon him the degrees of B. A. and B. E. in 1885.
He was first engaged in railroad engineering in Quebec, Cape Breton and California and
subsequently was employed by the city of Seattle from 1897 until 191 1, serving in various
capacities from draftsman up to principal assistant city engineer. As sewer engineer he
designed and constructed practically all of the main trunk sewers of the city. In November,
191 1, he was chosen city engineer and in that capacity has ably served to the present time,
making a highly creditable and commendable record. He is likewise a director of the Moses
Coulee Fruit Land Company and the Pacific Products Companj- and has long been numbered
among the substantial and representative citizens of Seattle.

On the 2d of June, 1890, in Tulare, California, Mr. Dimock was united in marriage to
Miss Annie Bishop, by whom he has three children, namely : Dorothy, Stuart Marshall
and Everett Paul. In politics he is a republican, while his religious faith is indicated by
his membership in the First Baptist church. He also belongs to the Arctic Club and enjoys
an extensive and favorable acquaintance throughout the city.



HERBERT EUGENE PECK.

Herbert Eugene Peck, engaged in the practice of law since 1900 has been closely
identified with important public interests in the northwest for more than two decades,
figuring in connection with educational interests and municipal affairs. His influence has
always been on the side of justice and improvement and his work has been directly
resultant and forceful in bringing about better conditions,

Mr. Peck is a native of New York, his birth having occurred at Kinderhook. Febru-
ary 28, 1863, his parents being Edward R. and Mary A. Peck, the former a lawyer by
profession. In the paternal line the ancestry can be traced back to William Peck, who
was the founder of the family in America. The Peck genealogy gives the following:
"William Peck was one of the founders of the New Haven colony in the spring of 1638.
With his wife Elizabeth and his son Jeremiah, he emigrated from England to this country



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 567

in company of Governor Eaton, Rev. John Davenport and others, in the ship Hector,
arriving at Boston from London, June 26, 1637." Others in the ancestral line have lived
in Xew England and New York, figuring more or less prominently in public affairs and
standing at all times for progressive measures in citizenship.

Herbert Eugene Peck prepared for college at Troy Conference Academy, located
in Poultney, Vermont, and afterward entered Wesleyan University, from which he was
graduated with the class of 1886, winning the Bachelor of Philosophy degree. He entered
upon preparation for the legal profession as a law student in the office of Robertson,
Foster & Kelly, of Troy, New York, and was admitted to the bar of the Empire state.
The year 1892 witnessed his arrival in Washington. He did not at once enter upon the
practice of law here but turned his attention to the profession of teaching, securing the
position of high school teacher at Port Townsend, where he continued from 1892 until
1894. In the latter year he accepted a position in the high school at Ballard, where he
taught until 1897. The following year he was made superintendent of the Ballard schools,
filling that position for two years, at the end of which time he retired from the educational
field and entered upon the general practice of law. In 1901 he was elected city attorney
of Ballard and was again called to office when in 1907 popular suffrage placed him in
the mayoralty chair of Ballard. He was filling that position at the time of the annexation
of the town to Seattle, since which time he has been engaged in the active practice of
law. He does not specialize along a single line but gives his attention to general practice.
The success which he has attained is due to his own efforts and merits. He displays
integrity, ability and industry and these qualities are the basic elements of his growing
•luccess. Moreover, he is faithful to every interest committed to his care.

;Mr. Peck voted with Bryan on the free silver issue but since that time has given
his political allegiance to the republican party. He exemplifies in his life the beneficent
spirit of Masonry and holds membership in the Occidental Lodge, F. & A. M., of which
he is a past master. His religious faith is that of the Methodist church and his life
conforms to its teachings.



C. HARRY DODD.



C. Harry Dodd holds the responsible position of manager of the credit department of
the Dexter Horton National Bank. He was born in Girard, Kansas, April 6, 1873, a son
of George A. and Lillian (Armstrong) Dodd, who in the early '80s removed to Bloomington.
Illinois, where their son became a pupil in the public schools. He had entered the higli
school ere he began preparation for a business career, becoming at the age of fourteen years
a student in a business college, which he attended for six months. He started out in life
on his own account as a messenger in the employ of the Chicago & Alton Railroad and
later was made a bill clerk in the freight department, where he remained until 1888. He
next went to Chicago, where he entered the employ of the Santa Fe Railroad Company
as assistant cashier in the freight department, occupying that position until 1889. He after-
ward became accountant in the freight department of the Pennsylvania Railroad and filled
that position until 1803, when he became accountant with the meat packing firm of Armour
& Company. He was afterward advanced to the position of traveling auditor for that
corporation and so continued until 1905, when he was transferred to the credit department
in Chicago and so remained until 1908. In that year he was transferred to the Fort Worth
plant of Armour & Company as office manager, but a year later left the south and came
to Seattle, where he accepted the position of credit man with the Seattle National Grocery
Company. Two years later he resigned that position to become manager of the credit
department of the Dexter Horton National Bank, in which position he has since continued.
This brief account indicates that every step in his career has been a forward one, bringing
him a broader outlook and wider opportunities. He has wisely used his time and talents
and his developing powers have carried him into important relations. His advancement has
resulted from effort intelligently applied and all who meet him recognize in him a man of
well balanced capacities. He possesses a strong character that inspires confidence in others.



568 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

and while he may not have genius or any phenomenal characteristics, yet he is capable of
mature judgment of his own capacities and of the people and circumstances that make up
his life's contacts and experiences. His judgment and even paced energy have carried him
forward to the goal of success.

On the 4th of Alarch, igog, in Fort Wortli, Te.xas, Mr. Dodd was united in marriage
to Miss Louise Alexander Smith, by whom he has three children, namely: C. H., Jr., and
Louis Smith, who are six and five years of age respectively, and Lloyd, one year old. Air.
Dodd belongs to the Seattle Athletic Club and is well known in Masonic circles, havin?
taken the degrees of the York Rite and become a member of the Mystic Shrine. He exempli-
fies in his life the beneficent spirit of the craft. In his career he has never been unmindful
of duties and obligations outside the strict path of business and his cooperation can be
counted upon for the public welfare whenever aid is needed. He is, however, preeminently
a business man and his business career balances up with the principles of truth and honor.



CHARLES T. CONOVER.



Charles T. Conover came to Seattle in the spring of 1888 as city editor of the Post-
Intelligencer and the same year he and Samuel L. Crawford, also of the Post-Intelligencer
staft', engaged in the real estate business under the title of Crawford & Conover. This
concern, now a corporation, is, with one exception, the oldest existing business house in
Seattle in any line of retail trade, continuously in business without change of title. Their
operations during the past twenty-eight years have been on an extensive scale and they have
been intimately connected with the progress and development of the city. In the earlier
days, when there was no public organization for promotion purposes, they carried the entire
burden of eastern publicity for Seattle and at that time Mr. Conover christened Washington
"The Evergreen State." He was born in New York in 1862, is of Dutch colonial stock,
is a member of the Holland Society of New York and president of the Washington Society
of Sons of the Revolution.



WILLIAM T. BUTLER.



William T. Butler, vice president of the Butler Contracting Company of Seattle, largely
engaged in building construction, has gained an enviable position in business circles, the
firm enjoying an extensive patronage, as is evidenced in the fact that they have erected many
of the large buildings of the city. He came to Seattle in the fall of 1907. having previously
resided in the middle west. He was born in Franklin, Ohio, November 6. 1868, a son of
Charles and Mary (Schenck) Butler, both of whom have now passed away. The Butler
family is of English extraction, John Butler the first, Mr. Butler's fourth great-grandfather.
came from the Island of Guernsey, England, and settled in Ipswich, Massachusetts. Mr.
Butler's fifth greatgrandmother on his mother's side was Catherine Van Brough and was
married in 1719 to William Tennent, a Presbyterian minister from Holland, who located
in Connecticut. Our subject's father was a native of Massachusetts and in 1843 removed
to Ohio, becoming a pioneer settler of the district in which he took up his abode. For a
considerable period he carried on business as a successful merchant and at the time of the
Civil war he served on the sanitary commission. His wife was born in Franklin, Ohio, a
daughter of John C. Schenck, and a representative of one of the old families connected
with Franklin from 1800. He was an agriculturist. Throughout her entire life Mrs. Butler
remained a resident of Franklin. The death of Mr. Butler occurred in 1904 at the age of
eighty-four years, while his wife passed away in 191 1 at the age of eighty-six.

William T. Butler acquired his preliminary education in the schools of Franklin, Ohio,
and afterward attended the University of Illinois, pursuing a four years' course, during
which period he studied civil engineering. After completing his education he spent three
years with the Purdy & Henderson Engineering Company of Chicago and one year with



I



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 569

C. L. Strobel in the same line in Chicago. Going to Indianapolis, Indiana, he was for eleven
years connected with the structural steel shops of that city, becoming chief engineer and
manager of the Noelke Richards Iron Works, and afterward spent a half year in St. Louis
with the Westlake Construction Company as chief engineer. In the fall of 1907 he came
to Seattle and established a branch of the Westlake Construction Company, which he here
represented as general manager for two and a half years. In igio he formed a partnership
under the name of the Butler Construction Company, and in ion incorporated the business
under the same name, becoming its vice president. The firm is engaged in steel construction,
building bridges and erecting large steel buildings. They were the builders of the auditorium
of the University of Washington, the chemical building and also several other university
buildings. They have erected many of the large and leading office buildings of Seattle and
in fact their business is the most extensive of its kind in the city, while important contracts
have been awarded them in other cities and states.

On the i6th of May, 1892, Mr. Butler was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Phil-
brick, a native of Illinois, a classmate at the University of Illinois, and a daughter of Mayo
Philbrick, who was one of the early settlers of Freeport. Illinois. Five children have been
born of this marriage: Ruth, who was born in Chicago in icSg6. deceased; Mayo Philbrick,
who was born in Indianapolis, February 26, i8y8; Robert Schenck, born in Indianapolis,
November 10, 1900; William Tennent, born in Indianapolis, April 16, 1903; and Van Brougli,
born in Seattle, November 25, n.wS.

The religious faith of the family is that of the Baptist church, while in political belief
Mr. Butler is a republican. He belongs to St. John's Lodge, F. & A. M.. of Seattle, and is
identified with the Seattle Yacht Club and the Seattle Athletic Club. His interest in
community affairs is indicated in his membership in the Commercial Club and the Municipal
League, and he has more strictly professional connections as a member of the Engineers'
Club. His constantly expanding powers and ability have brought him into important
relations, so that he is today recognized as one of the foremost representatives of building
construction in the northwest, having a business of large and gratifying proportions, which
is the legitimate and logical outcome of his enterprise, his laudable ambition and his thorough
understanding of each phase of the work.



WILLIAM PENN HARPER.

William Penn Harper, who for twenty-three years has been engaged in the real estate,
loan and insurance business in Seattle, while his residence in the city covers twenty-eight
years, has long figured prominently as a business man and as a factor in financial circles of
the northwest. He was born near Landenberg, Chester county, Pennsylvania, December 6,
1845, a son of John and Mary Ann (Key) Harper. The former was a lineal descendant
of John Harper, ensign in the Fourth Pennsylvania Battalion at its formation in 1776,
under Colonel Anthony Wayne, and rose to the rank of major after the battle of Brandy-
wine, serving with that rank ujider his old colonel, then General Anthony Wayne, luitil
September 11, 1777. The mother of William P. Harper was a lineal descendant of John
Key, the first white child born in the city of Philadelphia, in honor of which fact William
Penn deeded him a city lot. which deed is now in possession of the Pennsylvania Historical
Society of Philadelphia.

In the public schools of his native county William Penn Harper began his education
and for one term attended Eaton Academy and also for one term was a student in Short-
lidge's Academy in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, becoming valedictorian of each of the
schools at the conclusion of his term in each. His youthful days were spent on his father's
farm, on which his birth had occurred, and the experiences of his early life were such as
usually fall to farm lads. On attaining his majority he took charge of the farm, which he
purchased after the death of his father on the 3d of December, 1872. He then continued
the further cultivation and improvement of the farm until February, 1877, when he sold that
property. In July of the same year he removed to Mansfield, Ohio, where he engaged in
merchandising for a decade, and in December, 1887, he arrived in Seattle. In March of



570 HISTORY OF ShATTLE

the following year he took charge of the collections and of the meters of the Seattle Gas
Company and also of the collections of the Seattle Gas & Electric Light Company, an
electric light plant owned as a separate corporation by the stockholders of the Seattle Gas
Company. He resigned both positions on the 1st of January, 1892, and in June of the same
year engaged in the real estate, loan and insurance business. He has since operated along
those lines and in 1906 incorporated the business, admitting his son, Paul C. Harper, to a
partnership. In this connection he has won a large clientage, the various branches of his
business having long since been placed upon a safe and substantial basis. Many important
realty transfers have been negotiated by the firm, large loans have been placed and the work
of the insurance department is also represented by a gratifying figure annually. Mr. Harper
was president of the First Mortgage & Savings Bank, organized March 5, 1910, taking over
the business of William P. Harper & Son, and is president of the Mortgage Trust & Savings
Bank, into which the First Mortgage & Savings Bank was converted for a broader charter
on the 24th of April, 1914.

On the iSth of April, 1S77, Mr. Harper was married to Miss Evangeline Coates, of
Westgrove, Chester county, Pennsylvania, a daughter of Simmons and Emeline Coates,
both of Westgrove. In the maternal line she comes of one of the early families of Chester
county. Mr. and Mrs. Harper have but one child, Paul Coates, who married Alice Lovejoy
Dickinson, of Denver, Colorado, and who is now his father's partner and associate in
business.

Mr. and Mrs. Harper hold membership in the Plymouth Congregational church of Seattle
and he is connected with the Plymouth Men's Club of that organization, and is also
identified with the Sons of the American Revolution. He has consistently supported the
policies of the republican party save as to the liberal republican issues of 1872, when he
opposed further military dominance over the southern states then lately in rebellion. He
is a man of studious habits, diligent in his business and interested in those things which
have to do with the welfare of state and nation and which affect the sociological, economic
and political status of the country.



JOHN C. GOSNELL. M. D.

Dr. Jolni C. Gosncll, who for eleven years has been continuously in the practice of
medicine and surgery in Seattle, was born in Lake Beauport, province of Quebec, August
8, 1854. His father, John Gosnell, started in business in the city of Quebec in partnership
with his brother-in-law, Alexander Learmonth, in a foundry and machine works. Dis-
posing of his interest in the business to his partner, he engaged in the timber business
and in farming at Lake Beauport, in the seignory of St. Francis, near the city of Que-
bec and as a farmer he continued for the rest of his life successively in the counties of Grey
and Kent in the province of Ontario, Canada, and in the province of British Columbia.
Naturally, however, his genius was for mechanics. John Gosnell, himself of English,
Irish and Welsh descent, married Margaret Fachne}', who was born in the Brig of Allen,
in the old parish of Logic, near -Stirling, Scotland, where her forbears had lived for
centuries. Her father, James Fachney, architect and stonemason, a man of extraordinary
mechanical skill, was for a long time factor of the Duke of Buccleigh, one of whose
castles he spent nine years in restoring. Under ducal auspices he received a grant of
land in the western part of Upper Canada, as Ontario used to be called, and emigrated
to America. Landing at Quebec he was induced to remain there and followed his pro-
fession as an architect and contractor until he retired to a farm in Lake Beauport, where
he also built and ran a sawmill, never claiming his land. John Gosnell, Sr., died at Vic-
toria, British Columbia, aged seventy-seven years, and his wife, the Doctor's mother,



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 68 of 142)