Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 7 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 7 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


he was again appointed by Mayor George F. Cotterill for the three years' term. During the
year 191 2 he was chairman of the board of public works.

On the 14th of February, 1894, in Seattle, Mr. Valentine was joined in wedlock to Miss
Martha Alice Sidebotham, a daughter of Henry and Salina Sidebotham, who emigrated to
this country from England and became naturalized American citizens, settling at Hobart,
Washington, in 1881. Our subject and his wife have one son, Albert L. Valentine, Jr..
who was born in Seattle on the 13th of October, 1895.

Mr. Valentine has always been a republican and it is as a member of that party that
he has been elected and appointed to office. He is a Knight of Pythias and is a well known
Mason, having attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite in Lawson Consistory,
No. I. He was chancellor commander of Seattle Lodge, No. 51, K. P., in 1893, was a mem-
ber of the Pythian grand lodge of Washington in 1894 and 1895 and he is a member of
Lorraine Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star. He belongs to the Press Club, to the
Commercial Club and to the Chamber of Commerce and there is no line of activity relating
to the welfare and improvement of the city which does not call forth his interest and
usually his hearty cooperation. He has the technical skill and the practical experience needed
for the important duties which devolve upon him, and added to those qualities is a public-
spirited devotion that prompts his most effective work in behalf of the public welfare.



ALFRED BATTLE.



Alfred Battle is a member of the law firm of Ballinger, Battle, Hulbert & Shorts, of
Seattle, with offices in the Alaska building. He has long occupied a conspicuous position as
a leader at the bar of the northwest and the salient features of his law practice indicate that
he is capable of crossing swords in forensic combat with the best known members of the bar
throughout the length and breadth of the land. He was born in McLennan county, Texas, on
the 22d of March, 1858, and is descended from French ancestry although at an early period
in the colonization of the new world representatives of the name became residents of North
Carolina and Virginia. When the country became involved in war with England, the colonies
seeking independence, the Battle family sent several representatives to the front and in the
political history of Virginia the name figures prominently. Thomas E. Battle, grandfather
of Alfred Battle, was born in Virginia but removed to Georgia, and there married and reared
his familv. He was a member of the Methodist church, one of the early representatives of




J\jip^L^ ficMijL



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 53

that denomination in the south, and in church work took a most active and helpful part, doing
everything in his power to advance its growth and promote its influence. He reached tlie
very venerable age of ninety-six years and left behind the memory of an upright life and an
untarnished name.

His son, Nicholas William Battle, was born in Georgia but was educated in Virginia
and having arrived at years of maturity, he married Miss Ann Cabaniss, also a native of
Georgia. Born and reared in the south, he naturally joined the Confederate army at the time
of the Civil war and rose to the rank of colonel. Prior to the Civil war, however, he moved
to Texas, settling in Waco, where he engaged in the practice of law until he retired from
active life. He, too, reached a very advanced age, passing away when eighty-three years old.
He survived his wife, who died February 3, 1900, at the age of seventy-two. Both were con-
sistent, earnest and loyal members of the Baptist church and its teachings guided them in all
life's relations. Their many sterling traits of character gained for them warm regard and they
had an extensive circle of friends.

Alfred Battle was one of a family of eight children. Reared in Texas, he pursued his
education in Waco University, now Baylor University, completing his course by graduation
with the class of 1878, in which he won first honors and was made valedictorian. Whether
natural predilection, inlierited tendency or environment had most to do with shaping his
choice of a life work it is perhaps impossible to determine but tliat the choice was wisely made
is indicated m his present success and prominence. He studied law in the office of his father
for a time and afterward continued his reading in Vanderbilt University, at Nashville, Ten-
nessee. Following his admission to the bar at Marlin, Texas, he entered upon active practice
as the associate of his father in Waco, where he continued until March, 1887.

The west has ever been regarded as the land of opportunity and to this section of the
country Mr. Battle was attracted, becoming a resident of Seattle in 1888. In the years which
have since elapsed he has made steady progress in his profession, practicing alone until 1889.
He then formed a partnership with S. M. Shipley and when that connection was dissolved
eight years later Mr. Battle joined the firm of Ballinger, Ronald & Battle. A subsequent
change has led to the organization of the present firm of Ballinger, Battle, Hulbert & Shorts.
The court records bear testimony to Mr. Battle's position as a prominent member of the
Seattle bar. He came into notable prominence in connection with much of the litigation in
which the city was involved following the fire of 1889, when the streets were remodeled
and regraded. He was employed to assist the corporation counsel and when the Seattle Gas
& Electric Light Company brought suit against the city to recover one hundred thousand
dollars for damages alleged to have been sustained by reason of the change in street grading,
Mr. Battle took charge of the case and won the victory for the city. He was equally success-
ful in defending Seattle's interests in the suit brought by the Oregon Improvement Company,
involving the right and title to a portion of certain street property. Again and again cases
of widespread interest in which he figured brought him prominently before the public and the
recognition of his superior ability caused him to be sought as a candidate for the office of
corporation counsel. He had made such an excellent record that he ran several hundred votes
ahead of others on the democratic ticket but the entire republican ticket was elected. He
later was also nominated by the democratic party for the position of one of the supreme court
judges of this state. Among important cases with which Mr. Battle has been connected was
that of Dexter Horton & Company versus Sayward, involving the Port Madison Mill prop-
erty and the franchises of the Consolidated Street Railways in Seattle, in which suit he repre-
sented the petitioners. Beginning with the month of February, 1896, he has been connected
with possibly four-fifths of the litigated cases and proceedings relating to the Seattle tide
lands and in fact has made a study of tide land litigation, his practice being largely confined
thereto and to corporate and municipal litigation. He has won wide reputation as a most
able land lawyer. He has studied broadly, thinks deeply and his conclusions are sound and
logical. The court recognizes the wisdom of his reasoning and his correct application of legal
principles to the points at issue.

In June, 1900, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Battle and Miss Madge Fowler, a
native of Newton, Kansas, and a daughter of E. B. Fowler, of Brighton Beach, Washington.
Mr. Battle holds membership in the Rainier Club, the Seattle Athletic Club and the Bar Asso-
ciation of Seattle. He has always voted with the democratic party and in matter of citizenship



54 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

his influence is found on the side of progress, reform and improvement. A contemporary
writer has said of him : "He has ever occupied a prominent position in the legal ranks of
the practitioners of Seattle. His life has been one of untiring activity and crowned with a
high degree of success, yet he is not less esteemed as a citizen than as a lawyer, and his
kindly impulses and charming cordiality of manner have rendered him exceedingly popular
among all classes. The favorable judgment which the world passed upon him in his early
years has never been set aside nor in any degree modified. It has, on the contrary, been
emphasized by his careful conduct of important litigation, his candor and fairness in the
presentation of cases, his zeal and earnestness as an advocate, and the generous commmenda-
tion he has received from his contemporaries, who unite in bearing testimony as to his high
character and superior mind."



, GEORGE W. HOFFMAN.



George W. HofTman is an active factor in industrial circles of Seattle, being at the head
of the George W. Hoffman Company, manufacturers of auto bodies. They also do paint-
ing and trimming, acetylene welding, brazing and forging and they manufacture auto and
heavy truck springs and wheels. He who is now directing the activities of this business was
born in Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, in September, 1861, his father being Simon Hoflf-
man. He attended the public schools in Shamokin, Northumberland county, Pennsylvania,
until he reached the age of seventeen years, when he acquainted himself with the black-
smith's trade and was employed as a blacksmith in the mines until 1888, He then took
his first step toward the west, going to Cleveland, Ohio, where he worked as a blacksmith
in a shipyard for a year. At the end of that time he came to the coast and, taking up
his abode in Seattle in 1890, worked in the McDonald blacksmith shop for two years. At
the end of that time Mr. McDonald admitted him to a partnership in the business, located
at Fifth and Main streets, under the firm name of McDonald & Hoffman. After a year they
erected their own building at the corner of Fourth and Main streets and in 1899 Mr. Hoff-
man purchased the interest of his partner and has since conducted the business alone under
the style of the George W. Hoffman Company. lii 1902 he sold his building to the Great
Northern Railroad Company and erected a three-story building at No. 544 First avenue.
South. The building, ninety by one hundred and fifty feet, stands on leased ground and
there he does general automobile repair work. He also conducts a horseshoeing place at
No. 1718 First avenue. South. In July, 1915, his new two-story building and basement was
completed at Tenth avenue and East Union street and there he manufactures auto and
heavy truck springs and wheels, also manufactures automobile bodies and does painting
and trimming. He likewise has a welding plant where he does acetylene welding, brazing
and forging. He owns all three places, so that he is now at the head of important indus-
trial interests, having built up a good business through unfaltering energy and close
application.

Mr. Hoffman has attractive social qualities which have rendered him well known and
popular. He belongs to the Masonic blue lodge, commandery and Shrine and is a member
of the drill corps and patrol. He is also affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows and the Knights of Pythias fraternity, is a life member of the Arctic Club and
also holds membership in the Seattle Automobile Club, the Tillikums and the Turnverein.



EDGAR BATTLE.



Edgar Battle, postmaster of Seattle under appointment of President Woodrow Wil-
son, assumed the duties of his present position on the ist of October, 1912. He has not
been an active politician in the usually accepted sense of the term and his appointment
was the recognition of business ability and fitness for the ofiice. He was born in Waco,
Texas, his parents being Nicholas W. and Mary Ann (Cabaniss) Battle, the former a



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 55

native of North Carolina and the latter of Georgia, and both representatives of prominent
families of their respective states. Nicholas \V. Battle went to Texas in the early '40s,
when that state was practically a frontier region. He acquired much land there and
developed an immense cotton plantation. He was a colonel in the southern army, enlisting
from Texas and serving to the end of the conflict. He afterward practiced law in the
Lone Star state and for many years was district judge at a time when his district com-
prised many frontier counties. In 1889 he arrived in Seattle, where he engaged in the
practice of law up to the time of his death in 1905. His wife's brothers also saw serv-
ice in the Civil war and one of them, Tom Cabaniss, was United States congressman from
Georgia, while another brother, Henry Cabaniss, is one of the owners and the editor of the
Atlanta (Ga.) Journal. Both the Cabaniss and Battle families are descended from English
ancestors, while representatives of the name were members of the Continental army
during the Revolutionary war. The brothers and sister of Edgar Battle are : Judge
Alfred Battle, an attorney of Seattle, mentioned elsewhere in this work; Thomas E.
Battle, who is operating an extensive cotton plantation at Marlin, Texas ; and Mrs. Alice
Goodrich, also living at Marlin.

Edgar Battle completed his education by graduation from Baylor University of Texas
with the degree of Master of Arts and afterward studied law in the office of his father
for two years. He became traveling claim agent for the Houston, Texas & Central Rail-
way and while holding that position was appointed by President Grover Cleveland to the
position of United States consul in Mexico, with headquarters at Acapulco. There he
remained until after the Spanish-American war, continuing in the office during two years
of President McKinley's administration. At that time it was the policy of the govern-
ment to keep all foreign representatives in office when it was thought advisable, because of
tlie trouble with Spain. Following his retirement from the consulate Mr. Battle joined his
parents in Seattle and during the first summer of his residence here was appointed agent
for the Pacific Mail Steamship Company with headquarters at Acapulco, Mexico, where
the company maintained its great supply depot south of San Francisco, all their steamships
plying south to Panama. The company at Acapulco furnislicd supplies to ships of all
nations coming through that port and employed from five hundred to one thousand men
continuously in the coal yards and shops. Mr. Battle resigned his position on account
of a long attack of fever resulting from injury received while in the company's service.
The company held the position open for him for two years, making no permanent api)oint-
ment of his successor until his resignation was forwarded.

In igo3, after he had sufficiently recovered from his injuries, Mr. Battle entered the
fire insurance and real estate business in Seattle with Claude C. Ramsey and T. H. McGough,
They were in active business until the time of Mr. Battle's appointment as postmaster of
Seattle by President Wilson in 1912. He entered upon the duties of the position on the
1st of October of that year and has since capably served as Seattle's postmaster, care-
fully directing the interests of the office in a manner highly satisfactory to his fellow
townsmen. His military record covers three years' service as a member of the Texas
State Militia, In politics he is a democrat but not an active party worker.



HARRY \V. CARROLL.



Harry W. Carroll, city comptroller of the city of Seattle, was born in Sacramento,
September 4, 1858, a son of John H. and Hester H. Carroll, both of whom have passed
o'er life's divide. His father was born in Lynn, Massachusetts, and in 1849 went around
Cape Horn to California, where he attained prominence as a business man, merchant and
manufacturer. He was president of California Pioneers and president of the Pacific
Mutual Life Insurance Company of California. He died in the year 1887, while his wife
had preceded him in 1883. She was a native of New York city and noted for her statewide
hospitality and charitable works.

Mr. Carroll received his education at the University of California, graduating with
the degree Ph. B. from the School of Mines in the class of 1880. In his earlier manhood



56 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

he led a busy life in connection with mining, railroading, box manufacturing and the can-
ning industry. His activities have brought him in contact with eminent men and relation-
ships. He is vice president of the Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants and
treasurer of the Modern Woodmen of America Hall Association of Seattle.

Of late years Mr. Carroll has been in the municipal public service along lines making
for economy, efficiency and progress. In his political opinions he has always been republi-
can, in California as well as in Washington. He represented Sacramento county in the
twenty-seventh session of the California legislature in 1887-8; served as reading clerk
of the house of representatives of the Washington state legislature during the third, fourth,
sixth and seventh sessions thereof; was appointed a member of the state board of account-
ancy of Washington in 1903, filling this membership until 191 1; is at this time city comp-
troller and ex-officio city clerk of the city of Seattle. Mr. Carroll was elected to this
office in March, 1906. and served until March, 1910, was again elected in March, 1912,
and will serve until March, 1916.

His military history in the National Guard of California began with his connection
with the University Cadets, in which he received his first commission as captain. He
thereafter served as major and engineer officer and major and brigade inspector on the
stafifs of the brigadiers general commanding the Fourth Brigade ; lieutenant colonel on the
staffs of George Stoneman and Washington Bartlett, governors and commanders-in-chief
of the California National Guard. He is a life member of the Associated Retired Officers,
N. G. C, at San Francisco.

In Seattle, Mr. Carroll was united in marriage to Mrs. Carrie M. Deverell, having a
son, H. W. Carroll, Jr., who is now a young business man. His religious faith is that
of the Episcopal church, while fraternally he is past master of Masons, past regent in the
Royal Arcanum, an Elk and a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. He also
holds memberships in the Seattle Chamber of Commerce, the Seattle Commercial Club,
the Tillikums, the Municipal League, the Ad Club and Local 202, Seattle Typographical
Union (honorary).

His life has been one of accelerated activity and usefulness, touching many lines affect-
ing the general interests of society and the welfare of the municipality and the state.



ALFRED LEE PALMER.



Alfred Lee Palmer was for a third of a century a resident of Seattle and was recog-
nized as one of the most esteemed and honored citizens of the metropolis of the northwest.
He came well equipped by college training and broad experience for professional activity
in the field of law and won distinction at the bar, but gradually his investments in real
estate claimed his interests and in the later years of his life his attention was given to
the management and control of his property. His activities in the real estate field con-
stituted an important factor in the city's improvement, and his genuine personal worth
gained him the sincere and unqualified respect of all who came in contact with him.

Mr. Palmer was born in Mina, Chautauqua county. New York, June II, 1835, his par-
ents being Joseph and Mary (Hill) Palmer. The ancestral history of the family is traced
back to England, but representatives of the name settled in the colony of New York prior
to the Revolutionary war and when the country became involved in a conflict with Eng-
land, David Palmer, grandfather of Alfred Lee Palmer, joined the army and rendered val-
iant aid to the cause of liberty. At one time he was the owner of a farm that is now
embraced within the city limits of Rochester, New York. His son, Joseph Palmer, was
born on the old family homestead there and continued a resident of the Empire state until
1840, when he removed with his family to Andrew, Iowa, his son, Alfred L. Palmer being
at that time a little lad of five years. The father, who was a man of influence and promi-
nence in Iowa, filled the office of probate judge and was also elected superintendent of
public instruction. In the latter connection particularly he left the impress of his indi-
viduality upon the progress of the state. He was also the owner of considerable farm




ALFRED L. PALMER



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 59

land. He wedded Mary Hill, who was born in Vermont, her mother being a member of
the celebrated Lee family of Virginia.

Alfred Lee Palmer acquired his early education in the district schools of Andrew,
Iowa, and pursued his more advanced studies in the Mount Morris (111.) Academy and
also at Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio. Deciding upon the practice of law as a life
work, he then matriculated in the Albany Law School at Albany, New York, pursuing a
complete general course of law in that institution, after which he was admitted to the bar.
Returning to Iowa, he engaged in the practice of his profession in Jackson county, but in
the fall of 1861, soon after the outbreak of the Civil war, he closed his office, sold his
books and donned the blue uniform of the nation, going to the front as a member of
Company I, Twelfth Iowa Volunteer Infantry. Though sworn in as a private, his com-
rades elected him to the position of second lieutenant. He was afterward detached for
recruiting duty and enlisted one hundred men for the service. In the meantime his regi-
ment was captured by the Confederates and he was assigned to the Eighth Iowa Volunteer
Infantry, in which he was promoted to the rank of first lieutenant. At the battle of
Corinth he was shot through the right lung. Being incapacitated by this wound, which did
not heal for twelve years, he was honorably discharged in 1863. He then returned to
Jackson county. Iowa, and as soon as his health would permit resumed his law practice,
which he prosecuted with success, advancing steadily in his chosen calling, his ability at
length leading to his nomination to the office of county judge. He was elected and
reelected, serving for two terms, and upon the bench made an excellent record as a
faithful and impartial jurist. When Lincoln was made the capital of Nebraska he
removed to that city and made land investments which resulted profitably. For fourteen
years he continued his residence in Lincoln, devoting his attention to the practice of law
and to the management of his real estate investments, and during that period he also occu-
pied the office of county judge for two terms.

The fall of 1882 witnessed the arrival of Mr. Palmer in Seattle. At that time no
railroad had been extended to the city, but he recognized its favorable geographic posi-
tion and felt that the future must hold something attractive in store for it. His enter-
prising activity became an element in the later development and progress of the city and at
all times he was quick to foster and further any plan or measure for the public good.
For a number of years he was occupied largely with professional business at the bar but
was quick to note and take advantage of favorable opportunities for real estate investment
both in Seattle and Tacoma, thus acquiring substantial property interests. The growth of
his business in that connection at length forced him to discontinue his law practice and
give his undivided attention and energy to his real estate business, in connection with
which he did considerable building and otherwise improved his property. For a third of
a century he took a prominent and helpful part in Seattle's development and progress,
giving tangible demonstration of his own faith in the city which led others to follow his
example. The Palmer House sprang into existence as a result of his efforts and busi-
ness enterprise and following the disastrous fire of 1880 he erected the fine York Hotel
on First avenue, a si.x story brick structure, which for many years was one of the most
notable buildings of the northwest. Among other buildings erected by him in recent years
are the three story building at the corner of Fourth and Pine streets ; the si.x story
brick structure on First avenue South, now occupied by the Western Electric Company ;
the two story brick apartment house in Ballard ; and various residences. He also erected
the A. L. Palmer building, a six story brick structure on First avenue South, now used for
manufacturing purposes. He also owned a number of other valuable city properties. It
is acknowledged that Seattle has had no more loyal citizen than Mr. Palmer. His faith



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 7 of 142)