Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 70 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 70 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


court of Wisconsin on the 25th of June of that year.

Mr. Martin spent the summer in Wisconsin but in October, 1890, removed westward
to Seattle, where he opened a law office and has since followed his profession, making
steady progress in connection with a calling where advancement depends entirely upon
individual merit, a calling that has always been regarded as conserving the rights of the
individual and establishing justice.

On the 23d of March, 1805. Mr. Martin was married to Miss J. R. Replinger and to
them have been born two children. Charlotte Isabel and Adelaide M., aged respectively
seventeen and fifteen years.



ALEXANDER C. RIDDELL.

Alexander C. Riddell, a marine engineer, who devoted his entire life to service on
the boats that ply the northern Pacific waters, was born in Nantucket, Massachusetts,
April 3, 1852, his life record covering the intervening years to the 23d of September,
1905, when he passed away at the age of fifty-three. He pursued his education in the
schools of his native state and in 1877, when a young man, came to the west, making
his way to San Francisco. After a brief period spent in that city he continued north-
ward to Seattle, where he arrived a few months after reaching the coast country. He
was a marine engineer and there was scarcely anyone on the coast who held a license of
a higher order. He helped bring the ship Queen around from the east coast to San
Francisco as assistant engineer and sailed on her for a number of years. For a long
period he was with the Ocean Steamship Company on boats sailing from Seattle to Cali-
fornia and to Alaska. He had a comprehensive scientific knowledge as well as a practical




WILLIAM MARTIX



'I.'.: :<)■'■•.• - ^AK-






HISTORY OF SEATTLE 581

understanding of his work, knew the responsibilities that devolved upon him and dis-
charged his tasks with a sense of conscientious obligation.

In Seattle, June 15, 1887, Mr. Riddell was married to Mrs. Dora (Denny) Mulford, a
daughter of Henry L. Denny. She has lived in Seattle since 1869, or for a period of
forty-seven years. By her marriage she became the mother of three children who are yet
living: Lydia Grace, the wife of W. E. Barton; and Elsie and Marion, twins, at home.
Mrs. Riddell is a member of the Pioneers Association and has a wide acquaintance among
the old residents of this part of the country. She is also very prominent in another
connection, being department president of the Woman's Relief Corps of the state. She
became a charter member of the first corps organized in Washington thirty-one years
ago and she was a member of the committee appointed to receive the Liberty Bell when
it reached Seattle on its way to the Panama-Pacific Exposition in San Francisco.

Mr. Riddell held membership with the Ancient Order of United Workmen and with
the Knights of Pythias. While he did not live upon the coast quite as long as Mrs. Riddell,
he was for twenty-eight years connected with the interests of the northwest and could
tell many a tale concerning the development of navigation. He never sought notoriety,
but lived a quiet, useful life, devoted to his business and to his family and his friends
appreciated him for his sterling worth.



ALBERT GARDNER KEENE.

Albert Gardner Keene is engaged in the real estate, loan and insurance business, along
which line he has directed his activities for almost a quarter of a century, meeting with
growing success in the undertaking. The width of the continent separates him from his
birthplace and his career illustrates what can be accomplished when New England thrift
and business sagacity are combined with western energy and enterprise. He was born
January I, 1854, at North Appleton, Knox county, Maine, a son of William Gardner and
Mercy A. Keene. The father engaged in merchandising and also in the cattle business.
He traced his ancestry back to Governor William Bradford, who was born at Amsterfield,
Yorkshire, England, March 29, 1588, a son of William and Alice Bradford and a kinsman
of John Bradford, probend of St. Paul's, London, who was burned at the stake in the
reign of Bloody Mary. William Bradford was married in Amsterdam, Holland, to
Dorothy May, who was drowned in Cape Cod Bay, December 7, 1620. His second wife
was Alice, widow of Ed Southworth. William Bradford was governor of Pljinouth
colony from 1621 until the time of his death in 1657 with the exception of a period of
five years when he declined to fill the office.

His son, Joseph Bradford, by his second wife, married Joel, daughter of Peter Hobart,
first minister to Bingham, Massachusetts. Their son Elisha married Hannah Cole, by
whom he had a daughter Hannah, who became the wife of Joshua Bradford, of King-
ston, Massachusetts, afterward of Meduncook, Maine. By his second wife, Bethsheba
La Broche, he had several children, among them Deborah, who married Jonathan
Sampson and was the mother of the famous Deborah Sampson, who served for three
years as a private soldier in the Revolutionary war under the name of Robert Shurtleff.

Hannah Bradford and her husband, Joseph Bradford, living in Meduncook, Maine,
were killed by a party of Indians about 1756. Their children were carried to Canada
and held there until Wolfe captured Quebec, when they returned to Maine. The only
one of those who escaped was Sarah, who, hiding under the bed, was not carried away.
She afterward married a Mr. Davis and their son, John Davis, wedded Mary ]\Iartin,
and their daughter, Isabel Davis, became the wife of Robert S. Keene of Appleton, Maine,
who was born March 12, 1792. Their son, William G. Keene, born December 28, 1824,
married Mercy A. Jameson on the 6th of March, 1853.

Their eldest son, Albert G., was born January i, 1854, as previously stated, and is
the immediate subject of this review. He attended the public schools of Northfield, Min-
nesota, following the removal of the family to the middle west, also the Curtis Business
College at Minneapolis and Carleton College at Northfield. Early in his business career



582 HISTORY OF SEATTLE '

he served as yardmaster for the Great Northern Railway Company at Minneapolis for
twelve years and in 1888 he came to Seattle, where he conducted a grocery business with
success under the firm name of the Keene Mercantile Company. He was thus engaged
until 1891, in which year he withdrew from mercantile pursuits to enter the field of
real estate, loans and insurance, in which he has since been active, and the careful direc-
tion of his energies along those lines has brought to him a gratifying measure of pros-
perity. His business interests are now of large volume and his enterprise has been an
important feature in his success.

On the 8th of October, 1877, at Xorthfield, Minnesota, Mr. Keene was united in mar-
riage to Miss Lura Ella Kelley, a daughter of Franklin Kelley of that city. She is descended
from old New England ancestry and belongs to the Daughters of the American Revolu-
tion. By her marriage she has become the mother of two daughters, namely : Mamie Luella,
who is how the wife of Melvin Albert Weed; and Alberta Isabelle, who is the wife of
Martin Dwayain Ford. Both make their home in Seattle.

In his political views Mr. Keene is a democrat and served as councilman from the
second ward in 1907 and 1908. He is a charter member of the oldest improvement club
in the city, known as the Rainier Heights Improvement Club, and he is actively interested
in all those organized forces which look to the betterment and improvement of the city
along the lines of material advancement and civic progress.



WILLIAM DAVID PERKINS.

For a quarter of a century William David Perkins has been a resident of Washington
and since 1892 has made his home in Seattle, where he is well known as a prominent
banker, being at the head of the banking house of William D. Perkins & Company and
being connected as stockholder with various other important financial institutions of the
state. Massachusetts claims him as a native son, his birth having there occurred May 23,
1867, his parents being David and Hannah S. (Dunn) Perkins. He is descended in the
paternal line from Stephen Batchelder and John Cotton — two names that figure conspicu-
ously upon the pages of American history. In the maternal line he comes of Scotch
ancestry.

After attending the grammar and high schools of his native town, William D. Perkins
pursued a course in the Bryant & Stratton Business College of Boston, and in the early
part of 1883 he accepted the position of bookkeeper with the firm of Crocker & Blake, com-
mission merchants of Boston, with whom he remained, however, for only a few months.
The lure of the west was upon him and in September of the same year he reached Seattle.
He did not at that time, however, become a permanent resident of the state, for after sev-
eral months returned to the east and in 1884 secured a position in the office of the Erie
Railway at Boston. His industry and fidelity led to his advancement and eventually he
became cashier and chief clerk of the New England agency but in October, 1888, he severed
his connection with the railway company to accept an offer from the German National
Bank of Kansas City, with which he remained seven months, resigning to accept a position
with the People's Savings Bank, with which he continued until June, 1890, since which time
he has been a permanent resident of Washington.

Soon after his arrival in the Evergreen state Mr. Perkins became identified with bank-
ing interests as the organizer of the Citizens National Bank at Dayton. The institution
was placed upon a substantial basis and was successfully conducted by him until June, 1892,
when he sold the controlling interest and became a resident of Seattle. In November of
the following year he organized the banking house of William D. Perkins & Company and
the institution has since taken a prominent position among the financial concerns of Seattle.
The business has grown steadily and the firm has bought and sold over twenty millions of
investment securities to eastern capitalists. Mr. Perkins thoroughly knows the value of
business paper and the conditions affecting all lines of business activity in the west. He
has himself become a stockholder in eight diiTerent banks and was the vice president and
one of the directors of the First National Bank of Sunnyside, Washington.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 583

On the i8th of November, 1891, Mr. Perkins was united in marriage to Miss Cora Ells
Chamberlin, a daughter of Albert Strong and Augusta (Ells) Chamberlin. They have
become the parents of three daughters and a son, Helen Josephine, Russell Chamberlain,
Sarah Jane and Polly.

Mr. Perkins is well known in club and social circles of the city. He belongs to the Seattle
Golf and Country Club and is a life member of the Arctic and Seattle Athletic Clubs. He
also has membership in the Seattle Chamber of Commerce, with the Sons of the Revolu-
tion, and the Knights of Pythias, and his interest along aesthetic lines is indicated by his
association with the Washington State Art Association. He fosters those things which
are a matter of cultural value and are a source of the city's upbuilding and beautifying,
and he stands at all times for cooperation and improvement for the individual and the
commonwealth.



RALPH HADLOCK OBER.



Ralph Hadlock Ober, a civil and consulting engineer of Seattle, was born at Beverly,
Massachusetts, May 20, 1871, his parents being Andrew K. and Sarah A. (Hadlock) Ober.
After attending the Beverly high school he continued his education in the Beverly Academy
and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology at Boston, and thus with thorough and
comprehensive scientific training he entered upon his chosen life work, while his powers
have increased through the exercise of eiifort in all of the years that have added their
experience to his technical training.

Mr. Ober was first employed on the location and construction of the Adirondack &
St. Lawrence Railroad in the state of New York during the years 1891 and 1892, and through
the succeeding year he engaged in the practice of civil engineering and surveying in Bev-
erly, Massachusetts. He then came to Seattle, where he arrived in the latter part of 1893,
being employed by tITe United States government, under the Indian department, in connec-
tion with certain surveys in the state of Washington. He engaged in surveying townships
on the Queets river, west of the Olympics, with J. L. McPherson, United States deputy
surveyor, in 1894. In his leisure hours he took up the study of law and was admitted to
practice before the supreme court of Washington in 1895. While he has never followed
that profession his knowledge of the law has been of the utmost value to him in connection
with his engineering projects. The work that he has been called upon to do has ever been
of an important character and of far-reaching efifect. He was employed on the survey
of the pipe lines for conveying water from the Cedar river to Seattle for the Seattle Power
Company and also employed on the construction of the foundations for a storage dam for
the same company at Cedar lake in 1895. In i8g6 he was engaged to make a survey of lands
in the state of Washington under the department of the interior, in the survey of the Cowlitz
river in Washington, and in the survey of the Clearwater and Snake rivers in Idaho and
Washington, under the war department. In 1897 he was employed in surveying the Skagit
river, Willapa harbor, Bellingham harbor, the Duwamish river and Seattle harbor, under
the war department, together with certain lands in eastern Washington under the depart-
ment of the interior. His time in 1898 and 1899 was devoted to engineering work in connec-
tion with the construction of fortifications at Forts Casey and Worden, under the war
department, and in igoo he became superintendent of construction of gun and mortar bat-
teries at Fort Worden. Still continuing under the war department, in 1901 he acted as
superintendent of construction of the mortar battery at Fort Flagler and in 1902 was engi-
neer and superintendent of construction of gun and mortar batteries at Forts Worden and
Flagler and of range finder stations at the latter fort.

In 1903 Mr. Ober married Miss Mattie E. Shattuck, of Port Townsend, Washington.
In the same year he was made engineer in charge of the work in the United States engineer's
office in Seattle under Major John Millis and again was superintendent of construction of
gun and mortar batteries at Forts Worden and Flagler. The following year as engineer and
superintendent of construction he built the gun and mortar batteries, the range finder sta-
tions and the power houses at Forts Worden and Flagler, and in 1905 was employed as



584 , HISTORY OF SEATTLE

engineer and superintendent of construction of gun and mortar batteries, range finder sta-
tions and power houses at Fort Worden until June, after which he was engaged on surveys
under the department of the interior, and later on the survey of the Victoria, Vancouver &
Eastern Railroad in British Columbia. In 1906 he was engineer in charge of the construc-
tion of the substructure of the steel bridge over the Columbia river at Wenatchee, Wash-
ington, under Alexander Stewart, chief engineer, and later was engaged on the survey of
lands under the department of the interior. He afterward became engineer in charge of
the construction of the substructure of the steel bridge over the Columbia river at Beverly,
Washington, under E. J. Pearson, chief engineer of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul
Railway Company. In 1907 and until June, 1908, he vias employed as engineer in charge
of the construction of the substructure of the steel bridge above referred to. In 1908,
after the completion of the work on the bridge at Beverly, he was engaged in making exami-
nations of certain work along the line of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, and
later became terminal engineer for the Milwaukee Terminal and Railway Company in con-
nection with the work being carried on by that company in Seattle, Ballard, Everett and
other Puget Sound ports. In September, 1908, he became assistant city engineer of Seattle,
in charge of court work, and in 1909, as court engineer, he was connected with work on the
condemnations for many streets, avenues and park boulevards, and in connection with the
condemnation of the land in the Cedar river watershed. In 1910, as court engineer, he was
employed in connection with many condemnations for street widenings, improvements and
regrades. He also made preliminary studies and surveys for the Cedar river masonry dam,
the design and location of a new high line conduit and aqueduct from the Cedar river to
the city of Seattle, the storage and distributing reservoirs on Newcastle mountain, and
carried on much other work in connection with the condemnation of the lands in the Cedar
river watershed and the sanitation of the watershed.

In 191 1 Mr. Ober completed the work of acquiring the lands and timber in the water-
shed as far as was possible at that time. In April, 191 1, he was appointed by Mayor Dilling
to the position of superintendent of buildings and member of the board of public works,
occupying that position until February, 1914, during which period he opposed at all times
the construction of the Cedar river masonry dam and the expenditure of the city's money
on that project. He also opposed the sale of the city's timber at Cedar lake, and other
projects which resulted in loss to the city. Since April, 1914, he has been engaged in
the practice of his profession as a civil and consulting engineer with offices at 1011-12-13
Alaska building. The work accomplished by him has ever been of a most important char-
acter and he has solved many difficult and intricate engineering problems.

In 1910 and 191 1 Mr. Ober served as a member of the Municipal Plans Commission,
which prepared a comprehensive plan for the laying out and development of Greater Seattle.
His professional knowledge enables him to give expert judgment on such matters, and he
has studied tlioroughly questions relating to the work of improving and beautifying the
city along the lines of modern city building. In 1913 Mr. Ober was elected president of the
Pacific Northwest Society of Engineers and served in that capacity for a year. In 191 5
he was elected president of the'Seattle Association of Members of the American Society of
Civil Engineers, which position of honor he still fills. He is a member of the American
Society of Civil Engineers ; the Pacific Northwest Society of Engineers ; an associate of the
American Institute of Electrical Engineers ; and a member of the Alumni Association of
tlie Massachusetts Institute of Technology'.



CHARLES EDWARD SHEPARD.

Charles Edward Shepard, lawyer and author whose writings have made him well
known in professional circles, is a representative of that higher type of the profession
who recognize the relation of the law to the grave civic and political problems of the
country and therefore direct their reading and thought along those lines which affect the
general interests of society and promote the welfare of the nation at large. He was
born March 14, 1848, in Dansville, Livingston county, New York, the eldest child of





<M/auiL



I

I






HISTORY OF SEATTLE 587

1 harles and Katherine Shepard, the former a native of Dansville, born March 15, 1818,
and the latter born in Rochester, New York, December 27, 1825. The family was
intmded in America by Ralph Shepard, who was born in England in 1603. Persecuted on
arcount of his religious opinions by the court of high commission under Archbishop
Laud, he came to America with his wife. Thanks Shepard, and their daughter Sarah,
on the 30th of June, 1635. Making his way to Massachusetts, he settled at Dedham, and
among his direct descendants in the sixth generation was Joshua Shepard, the grand-
father of Charles E. Shepard of this review. In 1812 the grandfather removed to Dans-
ville, New York, then a tiny hamlet in the midst of a western wilderness.

At Dansville, Charles Shepard. was born and reared and, having arrived at years
of maturity, wedded Katherine Colman, a daughter of Anson and Katherine Kimball
(Rochester) Colman, the latter a daughter of Nathaniel Rochester. The Rochester
family was established on American soil in 1689, when representatives of the name settled
in Virginia. Nathaniel Rochester of that family participated in the Revolutionary war
and was active in civil as well as military life. When the colonies had achieved their inde-
pendence he removed to Hagerstown, Maryland, taking with him his family, his slaves
and his cattle. Later he removed to Dansville, New York, afterward to the falls of the
Genesee and there aided in organizing a settlement which was named in his honor and
lias become the modern metropolitan city of Rochester, New York. Like other slave
owners of that period, he emancipated his slaves and supported the aged and non-earners
for life.

Charles E. Shepard prepared for college in the Dansville Seminary and in the
Canandaigua Academy, after Avhich he entered Yale and was graduated therefrom with
the degree of Bachelor of Arts, his scholarship being indicated in the fact that he was
called upon to deliver an oration at the graduation exercises. He also won various
honors: the first composition prize in the second term of the sophomore year; the second
composition prize in the third term of the sophomore year; the junior rhetorical prize;
honorable mention for compositions written in the first two terms of the senior year ;
and the Townsend premium for English composition. He was an editor of the College
Courant and was a member of the Brothers, the Kappa Sigma Epsilon, the Phi Theta Psi
and the Psi Upsilon. Following his graduation he became a student in law offices in Dans-
ville and in Rochester, New York, and in November, 1872, went to Fond du Lac, Wis-
consin, where he was admitted to the bar and engaged in law practice in connection
with his younger brother, T. R. Shepard, a Yale graduate of 1874. Their partnership
relation continued until July, 1883. During his residence in Fond du Lac, Charles E.
Shepard served as library commissioner for three years and in 1881 was elected to rep-
resent his district in the lower house of the state legislature for a two years' term. His
personal popularity is indicated in the fact that he was elected on the republican ticket
in a district that was ordinarily democratic. In July, 1883, he left Fond du Lac and
removed to Milwaukee, where he continued in active law practice until 1891, when ill
health compelled him to abandon a large clientage and seek a change of climate. .-Xccord-
ingly in the fall of that year he arrived in Seattle, where he has since remained.

In the intervening years Mr. Shepard has not only regained his health but has also
won an enviable standing as a representative of the bar in city and state. For eleven years
he filled the responsible position of library commissioner and largely through his instru-
mentality a gift of two hundred thousand dollars was secured from Andrew Carnegie
for a library building, in the erection of which Mr. Shepard exercised the principal oversight;
Since June, 1905, he has been a uniform law commissioner of the state of Wash-
ington. Having been appointed by the governor as a delegate to the uniform law confer-
ence at Narrangansett Pier, Rhode Island, he was there elected vice president of that body.
In February, 1906, he was appointed delegate from Washington to the divorce congress
in Washington, D. C. In 1910 he was a candidate for supreme court judge on the non-
partisan judiciary ticket, and although defeated, he ran well against a partisan element
which had gained control of tlie courts of the state. Mr. Shepard is the author of "A
Digest of Wisconsin Reports." in two volumes, which was published by him in collabora-
tion with Thomas R. Shepard, brought out in 1884. Among his other published writings
is an address which was delivered in 1900 before the State Bar Association on "Limita-



588 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

tions of Municipal Indebtedness ;" an address before the State University of Washington
at Seattle on "John Marshall," delivered at the John Marshall day celebration, February
4, 1902; lectures before the law school of the State University on "Bailments" and on
"Patents, Trademarks and Copyrights ;" and a booklet which he privately published in
1905. entitled "Golden Lives."

On the isth of June, 1881, at Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, Mr. Shepard was ninited in



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 70 of 142)