Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 71 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 71 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


marriage to Miss Alice Maria Galloway, daughter of Edward H. and Maria H. (Adams)
Galloway, of that city. Her father, a banker and lumber-mill owner, passed away in
1876. Mrs. Shepard is a graduate of Northwestern University, completing a course in
that institution in 1870.

Mr. Shepard while living in Milwaukee belonged to the Alilwaukee Club, and is a
member of the Monday and University Clubs of Seattle, being a founder of the last named,
and is also a member of the Washington Chapter of the Society of the Sons of the Revolu-
tion. He likewise holds membership in the American Bar Association, and at its annual
meeting in 1914 was elected chairman of the section on legal education. He is also iden-
tified with the Selden Society of London, England. For thirteen years he filled the office
of junior warden in St. Mark's parish of Seattle, the largest Episcopal parish west of St.
Louis and St. Paul. He is now and has been for eight j'ears chancellor of the diocese
of Olympia and takes deep and helpful interest in the various branches of church work
and in plans and projects in other connections for the moral progress of the community.
He turns for recreation to literature and mountain climbing. A great pedestrian, he
loves life in the open and particularly where effort is required to learn interesting secrets
as manifest in those great upheavals which form the mountain peaks and ranges of the
continent. He has always been a close student of the science of government and of the
great political, economic and sociological problems of the country, at all times keeping
abreast with the best thinking men of the age. His advanced position upon many lines
of thought has made him a leader of public opinion and scholarly men of both the east
and the west recognize in him a peer.



HOWARD L. POLGLASE.



It is a trite saying that there is always room at the top but a real comprehension of this
truth should be a stimulus to many whose short sightedness prevents them from seeing
anything but the more crowded conditions of those lower steps which lead to the upward
climb. Howard L. Polglase recognizing that a wise utilization of opportunity will lead
to success, has built up a business which is today the most important of the kind in the
northwest. He conducts a surgical supply house and handles everything known to tlie
profession. A native of Detroit, Michigan, he was born August 21, 1870, and comes from
Holland ancestry, his great-great-grandfather, the founder of the American branch of the
family, settling in New York prior to the Revolutionary war. He is a son of William
Polglase, who was born in England but came to America about i860, settling in Detroit.
He was a ship carpenter by trade. He is survived by his wife, who bore the maiden name
of Amelia Austin. She is a native of New York and now a resident of Chicago and by
her marriage she became the mother of five children.

Howard L. Polglase, the youngest of the family, was educated in the public schools of
Detroit to the age of fifteen years and upon the death of his father he went to Chicago,
where he secured a position as errand boy in the Sharp & Smith surgical supply house.
That he was faithful, conscientious and diligent in his service is indicated in the fact
that he remained with the firm for twenty-two years, winning promotion from time to time
until he had passed through all the different departments and knew the business thoroughly.
In the fall of 1906 he came to Seattle and purchased the first business of the kind estab-
lished in this city, originally owned by George F. Spangenburg. He had a very small
stock at the outset, beginning business on a capital of a few hundred dollars but from that
point he has developed his present trade, which is today by far the largest of its kind
in the northwest. He handles a complete line of surgical instruments and supplies and has



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 589

among his patrons not only the leading ph3-3icians of Seattle but many from neighboring
cities and his annual sales approximate twenty-five thousand dollars.

On the 20th of September, i8g8, in Chicago, Mr. Polglase was married to Miss Eliza-
beth Meyer, a native of that city, and a daugliter of Mrs. Margaret Meyer. Their religious
faith is that of the Baptist church and its teachings guide them in the various relations of
life. Mr. Polglase belongs to the Masonic fraternity, his membership being in Arcana
Lodge, of Seattle. In politics he is a republican where national issues are involved but in
casting a local ballot he considers only the capability of the candidate and his fitness for
office. He started out in life a poor boy when fifteen years of age and his success is
attributable to his own efforts. He is truly a self-made man, for he has builded his success
upon industry, determination and perseverance. He thoroughly acquainted himself with
every phase of the trade and he is today one of the leading merchants of Seattle.



JOHN GRAF.



John Graf was prominently known in Seattle for many years as a successful hotel
man, and such was the measure of prosperity that he gained that a short time before his
death he retired from active business with a competence sufficient for all the necessities
of life and many of its luxuries. He was born in Switzerland and was but sixty-two
years of age when he passed away in 1901. In early manhood he bade adieu to friends and
fatherland and sailed for the new world, living for a time in Minnesota. About forty-two
years ago, however, he came to Seattle, where he began work at his trade — that of wagon
and carriage painting, which he had previously learned. After following his trade for a
period he turned his attention to the hotel business, becoming proprietor of the Minnesota
House and later of the Wisconsin House. He afterward ably and successfully conducted
other hotels until just before his death, when he put aside further business interests and
was planning to spend his time in the enjoyment of well earned rest. He had made judicious
investments in real estate which brought to him a gratifying financial return, owning the
Terrace apartments, containing eight or ten different apartments, together with farm land
on Black river.

While still a resident of Minnesota, Mr. Graf was united in marriage to Miss Wil-
helmina Seabright, who passed away in February, 1915, at the age of seventy-two years.
To them were born five children, three of whom survive, namely: Hugo, Otto and Mrs.
Ida Bosworth. The elder son was married in 1892 to Miss Effie Hansen, who came to
Seattle in 1890 from Minneapolis with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hansen, the
former becoming extensively engaged in the contracting and building business in this city.
There are two children of this marriage. Herbert A. and Gladys. Hugo Graf is now
engaged in the automobile business.

John Graf lived to witness remarkable changes in Seattle, for at the time of his arrival
it was a small town with comparatively little outlook for the future, yet he recognized its
natural advantages and believed that the day would come when it would be a great city.
He worked along lines that wrought for success and in the hotel business became a most
popular host, ever carefully looking after the comfort and welfare of his guests, while at
the same time he carefully watched over the business interests of the house.



JOHN WALLACE.



Notable business ability has been displayed by John Wallace and his associates, who
constitute the Smith Cannery Machines Company of Seattle, of which he is the president.
In ten years the business has been built up to its present extensive and gratifying propor-
tions and has become one of the most important industries of the city. Well defined plans,
carefully executed, discrimination between the essential and non-essential in relation to the
business and indefatigable industry have been the crowning points in this undertaking.



590 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

The president, Mr. Wallace, is a western man by birth and training and now by preference.
He was born on a farm in Trinity county, California, September i8, 1866. His father,
James Cubbage Wallace, was a native of Pennsylvania and became a California pioneer,
making the trip to the Pacific coast in the early '50s by way of the Isthmus of Panama.
He married Letitia Jane Robb, also a native of the Keystone state. She is now living in
Weaverville, California, where she has resided for sixty years, but in January, 1913, Mr.
Wallace passed away. Both were descended from ancestry represented in the Revolutionary
war.

John Wallace pursued his education in the common schools of Trinity county, Califor-
nia, concluding his studies at the age of eighteen years. His first work was teaching in
the same school where he received his education. He came to Seattle in June, 1888, and
was engaged as bookkeeper in an insurance office until the great fire of 1889. He afterward
accepted the position of bookkeeper for Harry White and subsequently became his private
secretary, holding that office during Mr. White's term as mayor of Seattle. He was in
public office from 1897 until 1901, when he acted as chief deputy under George M. Hollo-
way, county clerk.

It was not long after his retirement from that position that Mr. Wallace entered into
partnership with Benjamin R. Brierly and they became financial supporters of E. A. Smith
in the invention of what is now known as the "Iron Chink." They saw the wonderful value
of this invention and spent much time and money in bringing it to perfection. Later they
organized the Smith Cannery Machines Company and not long afterward Frank H. Osgood,
mentioned elsewhere in this volume, became associated with them, a connection that has
since been maintained. The business was organized with Mr. Wallace as president, Mr.
Brierly as secretary-manager, Mr. Osgood as vice president and S. S. Purvis as treasurer.
The "Iron Chink" is one of the most remarkable machines of the present day and a full
description of it, together with other patents owned and manufactured by the company,
follows the sketch of Mr. Brierly.

At Tacoma, in 1904, Mr. Wallace was united in marriage to Miss Edith Persis Mark-
ham, a daughter of Sidney F. Markham, a grocery merchant of Tacoma, and they have a
son, Frank Markham Wallace, nine years of age. Mr. Wallace has been a democrat since
1896 but has taken no active part in politics since leaving the county clerk's office. He is a
member of the Arctic Club and his wife is a prominent member of the Daughters of the
American Revolution, holding the position of state vice regent. Both are widely and favor-
ably known in Seattle, where they have a circle of friends almost coextensive with the
circle of their acquaintance. In the parlance of the day Mr. Wallace has "made good."
His keen insight enabled him to see the value of an invention and its worth to the business
world and entering upon his present business, he has so directed its affairs in connection
with his associates that the enterprise has enjoyed what seems to be almost phenomenal
profits in the last few years. Their success, however, is the legitimate, logical and merited
result of carefully executed plans in placing upon the market an output which is of value,
meeting a want in that direction.



BENJAMIN R. BRIERLY.



Benjamin R. Brierly is the secretary-manager of the Smith Cannery Machines Com-
pany, in which connection he has gained a most creditable position among the successful
and enterprising business men of Seattle. The spirit of rapid development and enterprise
which has been the dominant factor in the upbuilding of the western empire finds exempli-
fication in his career. He was born in San Francisco, April 19, 1866. His father, Frank
A. Brierly, a native of New Hampshire, died in 1870. He was descended from ancestry
represented in the Colonial army during the Revolutionary war and the line of descent
was traced still farther back to England. His father was a minister in one of the first
Baptist churches in San Francisco. Frank A. Brierly removed to California in the early
'SOS and was chief engineer on the Pacific Mail boats plying between San Francisco and
Panama. He died when his son Benjamin was four years of age. His wife, who bore the



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 591

maiden name of Almira M. Harmon, was a native of Machias, Maine, and died in 1898.
She made the trip over the Isthmus of Panama before a railroad had been built across the
continent and was married in San Francisco. Her father was one of the early settlers of
the Puget Sound country and was connected with the lumber industry. Mrs. Brierly was
also of English descent, her ancestors having come to the new world long prior to the
Revolutionary war, in which representatives of the name participated, thus aiding in
founding the American republic.

In the year 1871 Mrs. Brierly removed to Port Gamble with her son Benjamin, who
acquired his education in Sackett's school in Oakland, California. He made his first step
in the business world as purser on Puget Sound boats in 1885 for the old Washington
Steamboat and Transportation Company, which was afterward sold to and became a part
of the Alaska Steamship Company. Still later he engaged in the real estate business for
three years and then aided in organizing the Northwest Steamship Company, with which he
remained as secretary until i8g6. He then turned his attention to mining and went to
Caribou, British Columbia, where he remained during the years 1896, 1897 and 1898. In
1901 he entered into partnership with John Wallace in the organization of the Smith
Cannery Machines Company for the manufacture of a machine known as iron chink and of
this company he became the secretary-manager. He has since been active in control of the
business, which in the past eight years has developed rapidly until its output is now sent
over a wide territory where canning machines are in use. The excellence of the machine
insures a rapid sale and its worth is its own best advertisement.

In November, 1912, Mr. Brierly was married in Seattle to Miss Annie E. Gatter, a
daughter of Captain Gatter, now deceased, who was a sea captain and pilot on coast vessels.
Mr. Brierly is a democrat in his political views and has been a delegate to various county
and state conventions, while for four years he served as secretary of the King county
democratic central committee. He has a military record as a member of Company B, First
Washington Regiment, with which he was associated from 1887 until 1896, when he resigned.
During his period of enlistment he was appointed first lieutenant on Colonel Joe Green's
staff, in charge of the commissary department. He is chairman of the Washington Divi-
sion of the United Metal Trades Association of the Pacific Coast and he is a member of
the Arctic Club. His activities and his interests cover a wide range, showing him to be a
man of public spirit as well as a successful factor in business circles.



SMITH CANNERY MACHINES COMPANY.

The Smith Cannery Machines Company is the patentee and owner of the "Iron Chink,"
which has revolutionized the salmon packing industry. It is the only machine of its kind
in existence used in salmon canneries. It butchers and cleans salmon ; removes the head,
tail, fins, entrails and blood at the rate of sixty fish per minute and does the work of
fifty men when running to capacity ; in addition saving ten per cent of the fish over the old
method of hand labor. No sorting of the fish is necessary, as the machine is self-adjusting,
fitting itself to the various sized fish. Practically every up-to-date salmon cannery has
one or more of these machines. They are run by small power.

This company was organized for the purpose of perfecting inventions, manufacturing
the articles and placing them on the market. In addition to the "Iron Chink" they are
also patentees and owners of the automatic weighing machine used in packing plants to
guarantee full weight, made necessary under the pure food act, which requires net contents
marked on each package. This new machine takes the place of the old way, by hand, which
never was and never will be accurate. It separates the light cans from the pack within
one-sixteenth of an ounce and does it at the rate of eighty-four cans per minute. It is
used by all up-to-date plants other than salmon canneries.

The company is also the patentee and manufacturer of the Winningham Cutter Head,
which is used in planing mills and is in general use in mills on the coast.

The company's latest invention is the sanitary candy making machine for making cream
candies. They are not touched by hand from the time the raw material is placed in the



592 • HISTORY OF SEATTLE

machine until completed. The sugar is placed in one end of the machine, dissolved in
water, cooked to the required temperature, beaten, flavoring and coloring added and dropped
on a rubber belt, ten vifafers at a time, with five different flavors. At the other end of the
belt the candy drops into a stacker made to accommodate each row of wafers. When the
stacker is full it is removed from the machine and another put in its place. The candy
is then removed from the first stacker with a pair of tongs and placed in boxes for the
trade. The only ingredients used are sugar, water and certified flavoring and coloring.
It is entirely sanitary, as no hand touches the candy at any time.

The company manufactures only its own articles and has had a wonderful success
and would be a credit to any city in the United States. Its history goes to show that man-
ufacturing enterprises may succeed in Seattle with judicious management and careful
supervision.



WILLIS B. HERR.



Willis B. Herr has been a successful practicing attorney of Seattle during the past
fifteen years and has won merited recognition as an able and learned member of the legal
fraternity. His birth occurred in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, on the 24th of August, 1863,
his parents being Theodore W. and Annie (Musser) Herr. His great-grandfather, Rev.
John Herr, was the founder of the Reformed Mennonite church in eastern Pennsylvania.
Theodore W. Herr, the father of our subject, is a lawyer by profession. In 1873 be
removed with his family from Lancaster, Pennsylvania, to Denver, Colorado, where he
engaged in the real-estate business and made his home until a few years ago. He is now
residing with his son, Edwin M. Herr, president of the Westinghouse Electric & Manu-
facturing Company, at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Following his graduation from the East Denver high school, Willis B. Llerr entered
Yale University, which institution conferred upon him the degree of Bachelor of Phil-
osophy in 1886. Subsequently he pursued a course in law in Columbia University, now the
George Washington University, and in 1887 was graduated therefrom with the degree of
LL. B. Two years later he began the practice of his chosen profession in Denver, Colo-
rado, and there continued until 1899, when he came to Seattle. Here he has remained
throughout tlie intervening si.xteen years. His practice is largely confined to real-estate
and corporation interests and he enjoys a most gratifying and extensive clientage. He is
likewise a stockholder and trustee in the Title Trust Company and a stockholder in the
National City Bank.

On the 6th of July, 1904, in Seattle. Washington, Mr. Herr was united in marriage to
Miss Jean Elizabeth Holmes. In his political views he is a republican, loyally supporting
the men and measures of tliat party. He is connected with several college societies, is
a life member of the Arctic Club and also belongs to the University Club. Mr. Herr has
attained a creditable position in professional circles, and the salient characteristics of his
manhood are such as have brought him the warm regard of those with whom he has been
associated.



JOHN WILSON.



John Wilson, owner of Wilson's Boat and Shipyard in Seattle, demonstrates in his
life record the fact that industry and determination are substantial qualities to serve as the
foundation upon which to build the superstructure of prosperity. No matter in how much
fantastic theorizing one may indulge as to the cause of success, careful analysis of the life
records of those who have won legitimate success will show that their advancement has
been gained through persistency of purpose and effort intelligently directed. Such has
been the record of John Wilson, a native son of Connecticut, who was born November 15,
1879, his parents being Robert and Sarah Wilson, natives of Ireland, whence they came to
America in 1871. They removed with their family to New York and John Wilson was



■ R^UX



t>i'l^Ofi'



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 595

educated in the public schools of that state. His father had been a shipbuilder in Belfast
and the son followed in the same line of business, devoting his entire life to shipbuilding.
Making steady advance in the line of his trade, he became superintendent for the Stamford
Yacht & Engine Company of Stamford, Connecticut, which position of responsibility he
occupied for six years, or until 1907, at which time he came to Seattle and organized the
Pacific Yacht & Engine Company, taking over the plant of the old glass works at Smith's
Cove, where he remained for two years. He then formed a partnership with C. H. Markey
and bought the plant, continuing operations there for two years under the firm style of
Markey & Wilson. In 1912 Mr. Wilson erected his present large and thoroughly equipped
plant which he has since operated. It is supplied with all necessary machinery and every
facility to promote the work, and he is now making a specialty of building fishing boats,
halibut schooners and cannery tenders. He also engages in building fishing dories. He
thus meets the demands of the trade in supplying the kind of boats used in connection
with different industries tliat feature on the Pacific coast. His plant was the first upon the
coast to make a specialty of the small fishing dories. Hitherto all of the boats used in
connection with the vast fishing industry of the northwest had been manufactured in the
east and shipped to Pacific waters. Mr. Wilson is a most thorough shipbuilder, knowing
every phase of the work from the practical standpoint of broad personal experience, and
thus he is well qualified to superintend the efforts of those whom he employs and turn out
boats of the most substantial workmanship. Moreover, he is thoroughly acquainted with
the fishing industry and its needs on account of his constant contact with men engaged
in that business.

Mr. Wilson is deeply interested in the city's uplniilding and progress, to which end he
holds membership in the Commercial Club and supports all of its plans and projects for
the public good. He belongs also to the Seattle Yacht Club and to the Seattle Athletic
Club. He brought to the west the thorough training of the east and in conditions in this
part of the country found a stimulus for indefatigable industry and enterprise which have
led to his present business success.



DONNELL GEORGE FISHER.

Donnell George Fisher, division manager at Seattle for the Shell Company of Califor-
nia, controls in this connection a most important industry, furnishing employment to two
hundred and fifty people. He carefully manages the interests of the business under his
direction, displaying keen sagacity, unfaltering enterprise and a ready discrimination in
deciding upon essential elements and discarding all the nonessential features of the business.

Mr. Fisher was born in Maryville, Missouri, March 27, 1879, and pursued his education
in successive grades of the public and high schools and the Manual Training School of
Chicago. He afterward entered the Armour School of Technology at Chicago and was thus
well trained for important duties and responsibilities. His field of business activity has
always been the Pacific coast. Removing to Los Angeles, California, he there engaged in
railroading and afterward became salesman for a large oil company in San Francisco, in
which connection he steadily won advancement. In 191 1 when the Shell interests organized
on the Pacific coast he associated himself with that company and in February, igi2, was
transferred to Seattle as division manager of the northwestern territory, which position he
now holds. His territory covers Oregon, Washington, British Columbia and Idaho and he
employs two hundred and fifty people, who are connected with thirteen branch houses
in the territory over which he has supervision. The company has its headquarters in San
Francisco, with their oil properties at Coalinga, California and a large refinery in Martinez,



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 71 of 142)