Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 73 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 73 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

record covered periods of long connection with different firms which he represented, was
for many years foreman for the Jacobs & Trenholme Warehouse & Storage Company of
Seattle. He was born in Cumberland county. West Virginia. January 25, 1855, and pursued
his education in the schools of that state. He afterward removed to the middle west,
settling in Stillwater, Minnesota, whence, in 18S6, he came to the Puget Sound country,
arriving in Seattle on the 8th of August. A little later he made his way to Alaska, where
he remained for a year, after which he returned to Seattle and assisted in opening up the
Queen Anne addition to the city, now one of the most beautiful sections of Seattle. He
afterward engaged in the wood and coal business, but his yard was destroyed during the
great fire of 1889. He next purchased a lot of D. T. Denny in his third addition to the
city and there resumed connection with the coal and wood business, but in 1893 traded this
business for a farm in Whatcom county, to which he removed. After a brief period devoted
to general agricultural pursuits he returned to Seattle and became connected with the
Gordon Hardware Company, with which he remained until they went out of business. He


then accepted the responsible position of foreman with the Jacobs & Trenholme Warehouse
& Storage Company, with which he continued until the business was sold to Daniel Bekins,
and he remained with Mr. Bekins until his death.

In Minnesota, October 22. 1881, Mr. Baker was united in marriage to Miss Mary J.
Whelan, and to them were born three children : George Francis, Mary Belle and Margaret
Grace. The family circle was broken by the hand of death when, on the 24th of Novem-
ber, 1908, David A. Baker was called to his final rest. He had become well known in the
city and was an enthusiastic supporter of Seattle and its possibilities, never losing faith in
its future. He believed that the future, however, depended upon the wise use of the present
and felt that every citizen should do his full duty in supporting the plans and projects
for the general good. He never failed in any obligation in that connection and his work
brought good returns.



Daniel Johanson, wholesale dealer in fish conducting business under the name of the
National Independent Fish Company, was born in Sweden, March 4, 1877, a son of J. Peter-
son Johanson, who was a farmer of Sweden and continued in business up to the time of his
death in 1893. There were four children in the family, of whom Daniel is the youngest.
His early education was acquired in the schools of his native country, where his steady
advancement brought him to the completion of a course in the School of Mines in 1900,
at which time the degree of Mining Engineer was conferred upon him. He had graduated
from a course in civil engineering in 1899 "ind thus well equipped for a professional career
he came to the new world.

It was in February, 1901, that he crossed the Atlantic and passed over the country, mak-
ing his way to the Klondike, where he devoted a year and a half to mining. In the fall
of 1902 he came to Seattle, where he entered upon practice as a civil and mining engineer.
In 1905 he was employed by the United States Smelting & Refining Company and did engi-
neering at Kennett, California, remaining with that company for two years. He afterward
went to the gold fields of Nevada and had charge of the interests of the Goldfield Merger
Mines Company up to and including the year 1909, He afterward took a trip to Europe,
spending twelve months abroad, but in 1910 returned to America and again settled in Seattle,
where he has since remained. He followed his profession of mining and civil engineering
until 1912 and was a consulting engineer, traveling in Alaska, British Columbia and Mon-
tana. In 1913 he took charge of the Welding & Independent Fisheries Company, now
operating under the name of the National Independent Fishing Company. This company
handles all kinds of fish, selling to the wholesale dealers, and the trade extends throughout
the entire United States and also into parts of Europe. The business is one of growing
proportions, developing under the management and business acumen of Mr. Johanson, whose
enterprise and keen sagacity are factors in the growth and prosperity of the undertaking.

In November, 1913, in Los Angeles, California, Mr. Johanson was united in marriage
to Mrs. Tekla Nelson. He is prominent in chili circles as a member of the University, Ath-
letic and Swedish Clubs of Seattle. He has a wide acquaintance .in the city and much
influence among his friends, who esteem him highly because of his ability and sterling


Death called Charles Baker on the 19th of December, 1906. and thus was terminated
a long residence in Seattle covering almost forty-four years, during which he had seen
the city emerge from villagehood and take on the conditions and opportunities of a great
and growing western metropolis. He was well known to its citizens and all who were
acquainted with him spoke of him in terms of higli regard. Born in Cleveland, Ohio, on the
i8th of November, 1840, he came of English ancestry, his parents being John O. and Char-


lotte Helen (Hopewell) Baker, the former a native of Portsmouth and the latter of London,
England. In early life they crossed the Atlantic to tlie new world, hecoming residents of
Cleveland, Ohio, where their marriage was celebrated. The father was a physician and
surgeon and devoted his life to practicing medicine. He lived for a time at St. Stephens,
New Brunswick, and afterward at Collis, at Robbinston and at East Machias, Maine, while
in 1875 he came to the northwest, establishing his home in Seattle, where for twelve j-ears
lie continued as an able, active, honored and successful member of the medical profession,
his life's labors being terminated in death in October, 188", when he was in the sixtj'-seventh
year of his age. Of him a contemporary writer has said: "He was very devoted to his pro-
fession and attained eminence in his chosen calling, both because of his remarkable ability
in the diagnosing of diseases and also because of his skill in applying correct remedies and
in the use of surgical implements. He was a gentleman of broad humanitarian principles
and his deep human sympathy made it a pleasure to him to carry on his professional work
and alleviate the suffering of his fellowmen. He never stopped to consider whether his
patients were poor or rich but gave his services to the former as to the latter and many
a family had reason to bless him for his helpfulness in the hour of need." His wife
departed this life some time previous to the death of her husband, being forty-three years
of age when called to her final rest. Both were members of the Episcopal church and their
Christian faith was exemplified in their noble and helpful lives. They were the parents of
a son and daughter.

All of this family have now passed away, Charles Baker having been the last survivor.
He was christened Charles John Frederick Beverly Baker in honor of friends who bore
those names, but always said that he could not find time to write that lengthy name and
dropped all of it save Charles. In early life he attended the Washington Academy of
Marine and when fourteen year.« of age went to sea, spending seven years as a sailor before
the mast, during which time he visited many of the ports of the civilized world and gained
broad and interesting knowledge concerning foreign lands and the manners and customs
of various peoples. In December, 1862, he reached Seattle, which was then little more
than a hamlet, but had possibilities for development because of its advantageous position
on the coast. He became engaged in the lumber business, getting out logs for various saw-
mills, and at the time of the mining excitement at Cariboo, British Columbia, he made his
way to that district. However, after a brief period he returned to the Puget Sound coun-
try and for a number of \-ears was proprietor of a grocery store at Lowell in Snohomish
county, building up a good trade and carrying on the business successfully until 1880. He
tlien disposed of his interests there and opened a grocery store in north Seattle, where he
was not long in building up a profitable business, which he conducted with growing success
for fourteen years, or until 1894. He then retired and spent his remaining days in the
enjoyment of well earned rest, having acquired a competence sufficient to supply him with
all of the comforts and some of the luxuries of life. He erected an attractive residence
at No. 2344 East Lake avenue and was the owner of other city property which returned
him a good rental.

Mr. Baker was most pleasantly situated in his home life. He was married on the 8th
of February, 1871, to Miss Emma Seavey, of East Machias, Maine, a daughter of Sylvanus
and Cynthia Seavey, both of whom were of English lineage, although both families have
been represented on this side of the Atlantic through many generations, while at the time
of the Revolutionary war members of the family aided in winning American independence
The father of Mrs. Baker was eighty-five years of age at the time of his demise, while his
widow reached the notable old age of ninety-one years. They were honest and industrious
farming people and guided their lives according to the teachings of a Christian faith. Mr.
and Mrs. Baker became the parents of six children : Edward H.. who is engaged in the
coffee trade in Seattle ; Charlotte H., who was born in Snohomish but lives in Seattle ;
Cynthia Elma, who became the wife of R. G. McCausland and has passed away; Julia,
the wife of W. S. Riggs ; Charles, who was born February 8, 1873, and died March 25,
1877; and Albert, who died December 9, 1879. The family attend the Congregational

In his political views Mr. Baker was an earnest republican and in 1902 his party named
him as its candidate for supervisor of King county. He was elected and at the time of


his demise was serving for a second term, making a most creditable record in office. He
was an exemplary representative of the Masonic fraternity, having been initiated into the
order in Warren Lodge, No. 2, A. F. & A. M., at East Machias, Maine. In 1871 he joined
Eureka Lodge, No. 20, A. F. & A. M., of Seattle, and continued one of its valued repre-
sentatives until his demise. His life record will not be of interest to one in search of a
sensational chapter, but his entire career showed forth those traits of character which are
substantial and worthy of emulation, he being recognized as a reliable business man and a
progressive citizen.


Bernard D. Voris, making steady advancement in his business career, eventually became
the head of the Pioneer Sewing Machine Company, in which connection he built up a large
and profitable business, in which he continued until his death on the 19th of October,
1914. He had then passed the sixty-second milestone on life's journey, his birth having
occurred in New York city, May 3, 1852. His education was pursued in the east, after
which he made his way westward to California and thence proceeded northward to Seattle.
In this city he entered the employ of the firm of Lohman & Hanford, dealers in sewing
machines, and later, having carefully saved his earnings until his capital was sufficient,
he bought out the business of his employers and for twenty-three years continued in that
line under the name of the Pioneer Sewing Machine Company, being accorded a very
liberal patronage.

It was in Seattle, in 1892. that Mr. Voris was united i_n marriage to Mrs. Betsy Ann
McMillin, a daughter of Godard Keller, who came to the west in 1859, making his way
from Maine to Port Gamble. He was a sea captain, but after long connection with marine
interests turned his attention to the logging business and afterward purchased a farm
on the White river, on which he lived until his death. In early womanhood Miss Betsy
Ann Keller gave her hand in marriage to Louis McMillin, the wedding being celebrated
on the 6th of September, 1863. He was born in Peoria county, Illinois, and in the year
1852 accompanied his parents on the long journey across the plains with ox teams to Marion
county, Oregon. In 1862 removal was made to Kent, Washington, and Louis McMillin
came to Seattle with the Denny family. For some time he was engaged in the cattle busi-
ness on the White river. He followed butchering there and then brought the meat to
Seattle in canoes. He was also interested in farming at Kent, cultivating land on which
the town now stands. His fraternal relations were with the Masons and he was an exem-
plary representative of the craft. He died in the year 1887. After a widowhood of five
years Mrs. McMillin became the wife of Bernard D. Voris and she still makes her home
in Seattle.

Mr. Voris was a most public-spirited citizen and manifested his faith in Seattle by
investing in city property. His political allegiance was given to the republican party and
fraternally he was connected wth the Woodmen of the World and the Ancient Order of
United Workmen. He also belonged to the Pioneer Association, for he was numbered
among those who in the early days came to the west and bore an active and helpful part
in bringing about the advancement and progress of this section of the country.


Dr. James F. Hill, an alumnus of Columbia University of New York, completed his
preparation for medical and surgical practice by graduating from that institution in 191 1.
He has since had broad experience and during the period of his residence in Seattle, although
it covers little more than a year, he has won a substantial and gratifying professional posi-
tion. He was born in Montgomery, Alabama, January 26, 1889, a son of Walton W. Hill,
a native of the same state and a representative of one of its early families of English


' -.^aS 5.


lineage. The first representatives of the name in America settled in Massachusetts and
members of the family served with the Continental army in the Revolutionary war, aidins:
in winning independence for the nation. Walton W. Hill, now deceased, became a promi-
nent figure in public life in Alabama, serving as a member of the state legislature, while for
three terms he was a member of the state senate and largely aided in molding public thought
and action there. He married Alice Fitts, a native of Tuskaloosa, Alabama, and a daugh-'
ter of James H. Fitts, one of the early settlers of that state, who was also of English
lineage, tracing his ancestry back to Robert Fitts, who came to the new world in 1622, set-
tling in \"irginia. James Harris Fitts, the grandfather of Dr. Hill, was a veteran of the
Civil war, serving with the Confederate army throughout the period of hostilities. He was
a lawyer by profession and also engaged in the banking business, establishing and conduct-
ing the oldest bank in Alabama, in 1850. He figured very prominently in business and social
circles and also in connection with public affairs in his state. For a period of forty years
he was treasurer of the bishop's fund of the Episcopal church and was also treasurer of
tlie University of Alabama. In the family of Walton W. Hill were two sons, the elder being
Walton H. Hill, a lawyer now residing in Montgomery, Alabama.

The younger son, Dr. James F. Hill, was provided with good educational opportuni-
ties, attending private schools in Alabama and St. Mary's College at Belmont, Xorth Caro-
lina. He did preparatory work in Sewauee, Tennessee, as a student in the University of
the South, and afterward entered Columbia University at New York city, in connection
with the department known as the College of Physicians and Surgeons, from which he was
graduated with the class of 191 1. For two years thereafter he was connected with the
Roosevelt Hospital and attended many clinics in New York city, thus gaining broad and
practical experience upon which has been built his later success. He located for practice
in Seattle, in August, 1914. and has since here remained, giving his attention exclusively to
surgery. All the male members of the Hill family for three generations have been profes-
sional men, largely figuring in connection with law and with medicine.

On the 2ist of December, 1910, Dr. Hill was united in marriage at Montgomery, Ala-
bama, to Miss Elizabeth M. Baldwin, who was born at that place, a daughter of Dr. B.
T. Baldwin. They now reside at No. 3629 Harvard avenue, North. In politics Mr. Hill
is independent and believes in supporting men rather than party. Fraternally he is con-
nected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Eiks at Seattle. He is a member of the
Seattle Commercial Club, the Rainier Club and St. Paul's Episcopal church, in which he
is serving as a vestryman. He is thoroughly satisfied with the change which he made in
his residence, is enthusiastic concerning Seattle and has already become well established in
professional circles here.


In the period of eight years Burton R. Stare, in connection with his business associates,
has built up a most extensive and important enterprise under the name of the Northwestern
Supply Company, which is a Washington corporation, operating both in Seattle and Tacoma.
Not by leaps and bounds but by steady progression has this business been developed and
carried forward, and the life record of Mr. Stare has been in harmony therewith, for
throughout his entire business career he has made steady advancement, winning liis promo-
tion at every point. A native of Decatur. Illinois, he was born October 3, 1873, of the
marriage of Elias A. and Elizabeth H. Stare, the former born in York, Pennsylvania,
October i. 1844, and the latter in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, January 23, 1845. They
are now residents of Waukesha, Wisconsin. During the boyhood of their son Burton
they made their home at Sibley. Illinois, where he attended the public schools, and after-
ward pursued a course in the State University at Champaign, Illinois. During the period
of his early manhood he was engaged in the canning business for a number of years
at Webster City, Iowa, He afterward turned his attention to electrical engineering work,
with which he was connected until 1896, when he removed to Bangor, Maine, to accept
the position of general superintendent of the Penobscot Central Railroad. In 1897 he


superintended the building of that road and continued its operation until January i, igoo,
when he resigned to accept the position of general superintendent of the Peckham Manu-
facturing Company at Kingston, New York. He remained there until the fall of 1903, when
he removed to Chicago, where he entered the electrical supply business on his own account,
dividing his time between Chicago and New York, having business interests in both cities
until the fall of 1907. The foregoing will indicate that every step in his career has been
a forward one, bringing him a broader outlook and wider opportunities. Advancement
has been his watchword from the beginning of his business career and laudable ambition
has ever characterized his course.

On the loth of October, 1907, Mr. Stare came to Seattle to visit his wife's parents,
Mr. and Mrs. F. A. Braymer, who were living at No. 10450 Waters avenue and who had
been residents of the city for two and a half years. Pleased with Seattle and its prospects,
Mr. Stare determined to remain and became a factor in the business activity of this city.
At first he shared office room with Mr. Braymer in the Pacific block, but in the fall of
1908 removed to No. 113-115 Third avenue, South, where he organized the Northwestern
Supply Company, a Washington corporation, of which he became the president with A. T.
Rautenberg as secretary and treasurer. In 1910 a further removal was made to the Exchange
building, No. 115 Prefontaine Place. In 1913 they removed to the Prefontaine building at
No. 102-108 Prefontaine Place, where they now have eight thousand square feet of floor
space. They carry a stock valued at about si.xty-five thousand dollars and their trade
amounts to about three hundred thousand dollars annually. Since 1912 they have also
conducted a branch establishment at Tacoma and enjoy a good share of the electric busi-
ness in that city. From the beginning the undertaking which Mr. Stare established has
enjoyed a rapid but substantial growth and is now one of the foremost enterprises of the
kind in Seattle and the northwest.

Mr. Stare has been married twice. At Bangor, Maine, on the 30th of April, 1900, he
wedded Rosa B. Berry, a native of that city. He was married December 14, 1903, to Ruth
Braymer, a native of Chicago, and they have two children : Rosa Elizabeth, born March
2, 1905; and Helen Louisa, born March 8, 1913. Mr. Stare belongs to the Seattle lodge
of Elks, No. 92, and to all the Masonic bodies in the York and Scottish Rites and the
Mystic Shrine. He also has membership in the Seattle Athletic Club and is a life member
of the Arctic Club. He is thoroughly imbued with the spirit of the northwest, a spirit that
is accomplishing wonderful things in the upbuilding of a great empire in this section of
the country where trade and business conditions have now been placed upon a most sub-
stantial and permanent basis and where the work of development and upbuilding has been
carried steadilv forward.


James C. Ford, vice president and manager of The Pacific Coast Company, was born
in Marshall county, Illinois. January i, i860, a son of Patrick and Mary (Gannon) Ford.
The family removed to Chariton, Iowa, and he there attended the public schools. Later he
took up the study of telegraphy and became an operator on the Chicago, Burlington &
Quincy Railroad. He devoted several years to work as a telegraph operator, station agent
and train dispatcher on various railroads and was also employed as commercial telegrapher
in the offices of the Western Union Telegraph Company at Kansas City. Missouri, and
Chicago. Leaving the latter city he removed to Des Moines, Iowa, in 1884 and became
identified with the Chicago Great Western Railroad as stock claim agent, while later he
was advanced to the position of superintendent of telegraphy. For several years he filled
the position of division superintendent at Kansas City, Missouri, and at Oelwein, Iowa,
and was also assistant to the general superintendent in St. Paul.

In the spring of 1899 Mr. Ford left the Chicago Great Western Railroad Company and
came to Seattle, since which time he has been connected with The Pacific Coast Company,
first as superintendent of rail lines and now as vice president and general manager. He is
president of the Pacific Coast Steamship Company and the Pacific Coast Coal Company,


which owns several mines in King county. He is also president of the Columbia & Puget
Sound Railroad Company and a director of the American Savings Bank & Trust Company
of Seattle and his business connections are thus extensive and important.

In Osceola, Iowa, on the 24th of January, 1883, Mr. Ford was united in marriage to
Miss Mary E. Houston, a daughter of John Houston. Mr. Ford has ever been an active
political worker and has always made it his policy to support the candidates that he
believes will best serve the interests of the people. He has held no public office save that
of park commissioner for the city of Seattle during the year 1910-11. He holds member-
ship with the Knights of Columbus, the Elks and the Foresters. He has been chief ranger
of the Catholic Order of Foresters at Seattle and was first grand knight of the Knights
of Columbus. His social nature finds expression in his connection with the Arctic Club,
the Earlington Golf Club, the Rainier, the Seattle Athletic and the Seattle Golf Clubs. He
is also a member of the Transportation Club, the New Seattle Chamber of Commerce, the
Seattle Commercial Club, the American Anti-Boycott Association and the Chamber of
Commerce of the United States. All these connections indicate how deeply interested he
is in the questions affecting the business situation of the country as well as of his adopted
city and that he is making a close and systematic study of those things which are an indi-
cation of trade and which point the way for retrenchment or expansion.


Edgar K. Worthington. identified with important navigation and lumber interests at

Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 73 of 142)