Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 75 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 75 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tional Guard of Washington and was made a member of the investigating committee in
the session of 191 1. He afterward became a member of the joint committee to investigate
the method followed by the board of harbor line commissioners and the board of state
land commissioners in establishing harbor lines in the port cities of Washington. For
some time he owned and edited The Saturday Review, a political weekly newspaper pub-
lished in Seattle, but returned to the Post-Intelligencer in 1913 and after serving for a
time as night editor was made city editor, which position he now fills.

On the 14th of February, 1910, in San Francisco, California, Mr. Goss was united
in marriage to Miss Marie Antoinette Lieber, daughter of the late E. E. Lieber, of Antioch,
Illinois. Mrs. Goss' mother was Sofie Collier, of Buckinghamshire, England, a represen-
tative of one of the oldest families there. Mr. Goss was president of the Seattle Press
Club from 1910 until 1911, was one of its trustees in 1914-15 and was made first vice
president for the years 1915 and 1916. He is a member of Seattle Lodge, No. 92, B. P.
O. E. In politics a prominent and influential republican, he is a member of the King
county republican central committee for the years 1914 to 1916 and was a member of the
campaign committee during the election of 1914. His activities have had not a little to
do with shaping public thought and action throughout the west. He is imbued with the
spirit of progress along all the lines which lead to advancement in relation to municipal
and state affairs and to the improvement of social and civic conditions.



HON. RICHARD ACHILLES BALLIXGER.

Honored and respected by all. there is no resident of Seattle who commands in
greater measure the confidence and good will of his fellow citizens than Hon. Richard
Achilles Ballinger, for through momentous and trying periods in the history of the city
lie has borne himself with signal dignity and honor, carefully safeguarding the interests
under his control and in marking out his course has looked beyond the exigencies of the
moment to the opportunities of the future. His life has been so varied in its activities,
so honorable in its purpose, so far-reaching and beneficial in its effect that it has become
an integral part of the history of the northwest.

A native of Boonesboro, Boone county, Iowa, Mr. Ballinger was born on the 9th of
July, 1858. and comes of Welsh ancestry, the family having been founded in America
during the early settlement of Virginia, and from tliat state representatives of tiie name
removed to Kentucky. His father, Richard H. Ballinger, was a Kentuckian by birth but in
early life removed to Illinois and at the time of the Civil war served with the rank of
captain in the Third Illinois Cavalry and afterward became colonel of the Fifty-third
United States A. D. He took a firm stand in support of the cause of abolition long
prior to the outbreak of the war and did everything in his power to arouse the people
of the north to a realization of the conditions then existing in the south. In early man-
hood he was a law student in the office of Abraham Lincoln at Springfield and after the
war he engaged in the cattle business in Kansas. He married Miss Mary E. Norton,
a native of New York, and both are now deceased.

Richard A. Ballinger was in the saddle and on the range in Kansas in the early '70s,
but the interests and duties of ranch life were not allowed to interfere with his education
and after attending the State University of Lawrence, Kansas, and Washburn College at
Topeka he completed his education in Williams College of Massachusetts, from which he
was graduated with the Bachelor of Arts degree in 1884. A quarter of a century later
his alma mater conferred upon him the LL. D. degree. When liis more specifically liter-



620 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

ary course was completed he entered upon the study of law in the office of S. Corning
Judd, of Chicago, and following his admission to the bar at Springfield, Illinois, in 1886,
he opened an office at Kankakee, that state, and soon afterward received the appointment
to the position of city attorney. He afterward occupied the same position in Decatur,
Alabama, and on leaving the south removed to Port Townsend, Washington, since which
time he lias been a resident of the northwest, but is a man of too large interests to be
claimed only by one locality. In fact, his country has called upon him for important
service and numbers him among her distinguished sons.

After becoming a resident of Port Townsend Mr. Ballinger formed a partnership
with John N. Scott, a brother-in-law of President Benjamin Harrison, and from the be-
ginning of his residence in the northwest took a prominent part in public ailairs. In 1894
he was elected judge of the superior court and served upon the bench for four years.
He then became identified with the Seattle bar, organizing the law firm of Ballinger,
Ronald & Battle, while later changes in the personnel of the partnership led to the adop-
tion of the firm style of Ballinger, Ronald, Battle & Tennant. He is today at the head
of the firm of Ballinger, Battle, Hulbert & Shorts, and without invidious distinction may
be termed the foremost lawyer of the northwest. He has been continuously in active
practice since his admission to the bar in Illinois in 1886 except while serving as judge
of the superior court and holding other public offices.

It would be impossible for a man of his ability and public spirit to remain in the
background. His fellow citizens have again and again demanded his services in con-
nection with the control of public aflfairs. In 1904 he was elected on the republican ticket
to the office of mayor of Seattle for a two years' term and in that position conducted
himself with signal dignity and honor in controlling interests and matters of public con-
cern, resulting from the rapid growth of the city following the discovery of gold in the
Klondike. He found a ready and correct solution for intricate municipal problems and
his course had the indorsement of the general public. In March, 1907, President Roose-
velt tendered him the appointment to the position of commissioner of the general land
office in Washington. A contemporary biographer has said in this connection : "He ac-
cepted under what w-as regarded as tlie administrative necessity of reorganizing the per-
sonnel and methods of business. His intimate knowledge of the public domain enabled
him to work out several valuable reforms in land-office methods. His most important
recommendation related to the manner of acquiring coal lands from the United States.
He declared that simply separating the right to mine from the title to the soil above
the coal deposits would prevent the fraudulent acquisition of coal lands. Other recom-
mendations relating to the stone and timber act, pasture and timber lands, etc., were
equally simple and effective. At the end of a year of fruitful work in the land office he
resumed the practice of his profession but continued to contribute time and eft'ort to the
service of his party."

Mr. Ballinger was a delegate to the convention which nominated William H. Taft
for the presidency and took an active part in the succeeding campaign as the western
member of the advisory committee. In the national convention he served on the subcom-
mittee of the committee on resolutions which reported the party platform. In 1909 he
was chosen liy President Taft for the office of secretary of the interior, for which posi-
tion he w-as splendidly quahTied liecause of his familiarity with public lands, timber,
mining, territorial and irrigation affairs as well as with law and legal proceedings. He
has made valuable contributions to the literature of the bar. In 1890 he compiled "Com-
munity Property," relating to the property rights of husband and wife, a work that is
accepted as authority on the subject of which it treats. In 1897 he brought out "Bal-
linger's Annotated Codes and Statutes," a compilation of the code of Washington. While
he'is not without that ambition which is so great an incentive to able public service he
has ever regarded the pursuits of private life as in themselves abundantly w^orthy of his
best efforts and has ever considered the practice of law as his real life work, in which
connection he has gained distinguished honors and an enviable reputation, his time being
now given almost exclusively to his extensive law practice.

In Lee, Massachusetts, in 1886, Mr. Ballinger was united in marriage to Miss Julia
A. Bradley, a daughter of George Bradley. Mrs. Ballinger pursued her education in



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 621

Wellesley College and abroad. By her marriage she has become the mother of two chil-
dren, Edward B. and Richard T., aged respectively twenty-three and sixteen years, the
former now married.

Mr. and Mrs. Ballinger hold membership in the Congregational church and he is a
prominent figure in various social organizations, including the Metropolitan, Chevy Chase,
University, Rainier, Golf and Country, and Arctic clubs and the Loyal Legion. He has
also been an active member of the Chamber of Commerce and he was the vice-president
of the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition. Mr. Ballinger has not escaped the criticism
which comes to all men in public life, but those who have known him longest and best
entertain for him the warmest regards. Every citizen of Seattle speaks of Richard A.
Ballinger with pride and looks upon him not only as a most distinguished lawyer but
as the foremost citizen of the northwest. His life has counted as a valuable asset for
progress in community as well as national affairs and, moreover, he is regarded as a
most able exponent of that profession which has ever been the stern conservator of justice
and to which life and liberty, right and property must look for protection.



RICHARD WARD.



To the time of his death Richard Ward remained at the head of the well known
shipbuilding firm of R. Ward & Sons, which was organized in Seattle in 1888. He was
among the worthy citizens that England has furnished to the northwest. His birth oc-
curred April 8, 1857, in Cornwall, and he came to America on attaining his majority,
having in the meantime learned the shipbuilder's trade in his native country. He was
a son of William and Eliza (Dennis) Ward, the father a shipbuilder of England, so
that from early boyhood Richard Ward was more or less familiar with the trade. On
coming to the new world he settled in Savannah, Georgia, where he worked as a ship-
builder for several years and then made his way to the Pacific coast, spending some
time in San Francisco before coming to Seattle in 1888. Almost immediately after his
arrival in this city he organized the R. Ward & Sons Shipbuilding Company, built the
dry dock here and engaged in boat building throughout his remaining days. He also
raised the steamer Kitsap when it was sunk some years ago. He was thoroughly familiar
with every phase of shipbuilding and remained the active head of the business until his
death, since which time it has been carried on by his sons under the style of Ward &
Sons at No. 24 Colman dock. They do all kinds of shipbuilding, from small crafts to
large boats, and are also builders of racing boats.

On the l6th of December, 1884, in Savannah, Georgia, Mr. Ward was married to Miss
Martha Jane Moyle, who was born in Cornwall, England, and became a resident of
Savannah when a young lady of twenty-four years. To this marriage were born the
following children: Eugene Rollin, Montague R., Edith Irene, Mrs. Gertrude E. Marble,
James H., Thomas Edward, and Dora E. and William Newton, both of whom are
deceased.

Mr. Ward was a member of the First Methodist Episcopal church of Seattle and
died in that faith on the 4th of April, 1914, when fifty-seven years of age. He possessed
strong, sturdy qualities of manhood, manifest in loyalty in citizenship, reliability in busi-
ness and honor in all his relations with his fellowmen.



JOHN GOODFELLOW.



John Goodfellow was for many years a prominent business man of Seattle and at
the time of his demise was the head of the firm of John Goodfellow & Sons, financial
agents. His birth occurred in Hedgeham, near Edinburgh, Scotland, and his parents were
William and Isabel Goodfellow, of Hedgeham House. He received his education in
Howick Academy, Scotland, and when nineteen years of age he entered the employ of



622 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

the Bank of British North America, becoming connected with their London branch. When
twenty years of age he went to Montreal, Canada, in the employ of that bank and in
1867 was sent to their San Francisco branch by way of Panama. Later he was made
manager of the branch at Caribou, British Columbia, and was there during the great
mining excitement at that place. In 1872 he was manager of the Bank of British North
America at Victoria, British Columbia, and continued to hold that responsible position
until 1877, when he went to Portland, Oregon, and there established a branch of the
bank. In the spring of 1884 he came to Seattle as cashier of the First National Bank
and retained his connection with that institution until 1892. He then went into business
for himself and established the firm which was afterwards known as John Goodfellow &
Sons, financial agents. He had a wide acquaintance and a high standing in financial cir-
cles, was very successful in floating stocks and bonds, acted as financial agent for many
important concerns and made John Goodfellow & Sons one of the leading firms in this
field.

Mr. Goodfellow was married on the 27th of November, 1876, at Ferry Coombe House,
Agassiz, British Columbia, to Miss Florence Eliza Agassiz, a daughter of Lewis Agassiz,
an officer in the British army. He removed with his family from eastern Canada to British
Columbia in 1862, going by way of the Isthmus of Panama. To Mr. and Mrs. Goodfellow
were born nine sons and two daughters, namely: Hugh A., who is now conducting the
business of John Goodfellow & Sons ; Jack A., Aleck S., L. Arthur. Richard, Forrest,
James B., George Herbert, H. Malcolm, Mary Florence, now Mrs. Charles H. Burnett, Jr.,
and Constance Maud.

Mr. Goodfellow gave his political allegiance to the republican party and his religious
faith is indicated in the fact that he was a communicant of the Trinity Parish church, of
which he served as vestryman throughout his entire residence in Seattle. His influence
was always cast on the side of justice and moral advancement and in all relations of life
he measured up to high standards of manhood. He was greatly interested in the devel-
opment of Seattle , and did all within his power to promote its growth and expansion.
His demise occurred on the 28th of November, 1912, the city thus losing a citizen whom it
could ill spare.



FRANK T. MAXSON, M. D.

Dr. Frank T. Maxson, numbered among the alumni of the University of Pennsylvania
and classed since 1902 with the representative physicians of Seattle, was born in Washington,
D. C, November 8, 1879, a son of Captain Frank O. and Evelyn (VanDoren) Maxson. The
father, a native of Connecticut, became a civil engineer and entered the United States Navy
with the rank of lieutenant in 1880. He served for about thirty-five years, was promoted
to a captaincy and is now living retired at his old home in Washington, D. C. His wife
is a native of Indiana and they became the parents of three children. In the maternal line
the ancestry came from Holland in 1630, in which year the VanDorens settled in New Jersey.

Dr. Frank T. Maxson, the eldest of his father's family, was educated in the public
schools of his native city and in the University of Washington, which he attended for a
year before entering the University of Pennsylvania, in which he pursued his professional
course, being graduated therefrom with the M. D. degree in 1902. Immediately afterward
he came to the northwest, settling at Seattle, and for one year he served as resident phy-
sician at tlie General Hospital. Tlirough tlie remainder of the time he has engaged in the
private practice of medicine and surgery. He worked his own way through college without
financial aid and by reason of his merit and ability has gained a position among Seattle's
leading physicians. He has his office at No. 517 Cobb building, and his residence at No. 4036
Evanston.

On the 5th of January, 1904, Dr. Maxson was married in Seattle to Miss Anna C. Boyd,
a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James M. Boyd. They have become parents of four children:
Ruth, Frank T., Margaret and Frances Evelyn, all born in this city. The religious faith of
the faniily is that of the Congregational church. Dr. Maxson is connected with various




<ji{lL^^^(, \J. l^^V^-iXyy: ^>7^ l^t.<Jq^



r'"^''%'



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 625

fraternal organizations, belonging to Doric Lodge, No. 92, A. F. & A. M., and to the various
branches of the Scottish Rite. He is also connected with the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, is a member of the Seattle Athletic Club, the Seattle Commercial Club, the Wash-
ington Art Association and the Seattle Auto Club. In politics he is a republican but has
never been a party worker, his time being fully occupied with his professional duties, which
are of constantly growing importance. The public and the profession both recognize the
■ fact that his ability places him among the distinguished representatives of the medical
fraternity of the northwest.



HENRY E. DOMINY.



Henry E. Dominy, operating in the field of real estate in Seattle, in which line he
has been active for eight years, was born in Hilliard, Ohio, August 19, 1877, a son of Ezra
and Anna M. Dominj'. His education was acquired in the schools of Columbus, Ohio,
and early in his business career became connected with a furniture manufacturing enter-
prise at Urbana, Ohio, which experience gave him intimate and accurate knowledge of the
business and led in logical sequence to his engaging in the retail furniture business at a
later period. He opened a store of that character at Denver, Colorado, but after some
years there passed the lure of the west was upon him and he came to Seattle, where for
eight years he has engaged in the real estate business, handling city property and eastern
Washington farm lands and orchards. He is one of the most active, energetic and en-
terprising business men in the real estate field in Seattle and it is said that, while others
in his line are experiencing a dull season, he is always busy. He has negotiated some
very important and extensive realty transactions and during the period of his residence
in Seattle has advanced step by step until he stands in a foremost position among the
city's real estate dealers and progressive, resourceful business men. He holds to the old
line of republican principles, but is not an active political worker, concentrating his efforts
upon his business affairs, which, wisely directed, have gained for him a most creditable
position. There is Scotch, Welsh and Irish ancestry back of him and the fusion has
brought forth a strong American character and seems to have taken the best in each and
brought forth a new type that is ready to cope with new world conditions where com-
petition is rife but where opportunity is open to all.



CLAUDE A. PHILBRICK.



Claude A. Philbrick, who since 1913 has been cashier of the First National Bank of
Seattle, was born at Lone Pine, Ivy county, California, August 12, 1879. He is therefore but
thirty-seven years of age and is occupying a position of notable responsibility for one of his
years. His parents were G. T. and Addie F. Philbrick, who in 1880 came to Seattle, where
for a considerable period the father engaged in the sawmill business. Eventually, how-
ever, he sold out and was afterward connected with the Stetson-Post Mill Company until
1894, since which time he has been employed by the city in the department of police.

While a native of California, Claude A. Philbrick has practically spent his entire life
in Seattle, where he became a public-school pupil at the usual age, passing through con-
secutive grades to his graduation from the high school with the class of 1897. He then
started in business life as clerk with the Postal Telegraph Company, with which he re-
mained for two years. He afterward pursued a stenographic course in Acme Business
College, being graduated after six months. He then engaged as messenger and stenog-
rapher in the First National Bank and his ability and trustworthiness won him promo-
tion two years later to the position of general clerk and bookkeeper. He served in that
capacity for two years and was then promoted to receiving teller, thus serving for three
years. His next promotion advanced him to the position of paying teller and four years
later he became assistant cashier, so continuing until 1914, which year brought him ad-



626 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

vancement to his present position and he now occupies a prominent place in financial cir-
cles of Seattle as the cashier of the First National Bank,

On the 27th of February, 1906, in Seattle, Mr. Philbrick was married to Miss Edith
Harrah, and to this union have been born two children : Harold C, who is eight years of
age and is a public school student; and Margaret E., four years of age.

Mr. Philbrick is a republican, with firm belief in the principles of the party but with-
out desire for office as a reward for party fealty. He holds membership in the Episcopal
church and along social lines is connected with the Rainier and Seattle Athletic Clubs, in
which organizations his attractive qualities have won him wide popularity.



HERBERT H. CANFIELD, M. D.

Dr. Herbert H. Canfield, an able and successful member of the medical profession
in Seattle, was born near Parma, in Jackson county, Michigan, July 4, 1869. His paternal
ancestors came from England and the family was founded in Milford, Connecticut. The
ancestral line is traced back to James De Philo, a French Hugenot, who fled from
Normany to England in 1350 and in return for service to the crown was given a land
grant on the Cam river. To distinguish him, he became known as the Cam De Philo,
the name of De Philo being retained until the last of the seventeenth century. In Mil-
ford and in Norwalk, Connecticut, in the church and court records, the name appears
with the "de" dropped, and further change in 1760 led to the present style of Canfield.
In the maternal line Dr. Canfield is descended from English ancestry and later gener-
ations of the family became early residents of Michigan. His father, Edward F. Can-
field, a native of New York, removed to Michigan about 1865 and there conducted a
profitable business as an architect and builder. He became one of the supporters of the
republican party at its organization, attended the Pittsburgh convention and cast his first
vote for John C. Fremont. After living for a long period in Michigan he removed to
Kansas in 1883 and settled in Republic county. He homesteaded in Sheridan county,
Kansas, at the age of sixty-five years and died in Republic county when seventy-five
years old. In his passing the community in which he lived lost one of its representative
and valued citizen. After removing to Michigan he had married Caroline O. Howe, a native
of Poughkeepsie, New York, who died July 4, 1887. at the age of forty-six years — on
the eighteenth anniversary of the birth of Dr. Canfield.

In the family were four children, of whom Dr. Canfield was the second. He at-
tended the public schools of his native town, passing through consecutive grades until
he became a high-school pupil, and later he continued his studies in Republic county,
Kansas. His early training was that of the farm and when still in his youthful days
he worked for neighboring farmers. As a young man he was employed at railroad con-
struction work on the Rock Island line. When but seventeen years of age he began
teaching in the schools of Republic county, Kansas, following the profession from 1886
until the fall of 1888, when he became a student in the Central Normal College at Great
Bend, Kansas, pursuing a special scientific course, from which he was graduated in 1889.
He then went with Professor William Sryker, the president of the college, to the Hodge-
man County Teachers Normal Institute as an instructor and served on the board of
examiners at the Teachers' Normal. Subsequently he organized a graded school and
served as principal for a term of two years at Jetmore, Hodgeman county, Kansas. Dur-
ing his college days he entered upon the study of medicine, together with S. J. Steinmetz



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 75 of 142)