Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 76 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 76 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and H. N. Gaines, their reading being directed by the professor of physiology. He had
early formed the desire to become a member of the medical profession and in fact had
held to that ambition from boyhood. While pursuing his preliminary professional reading
he became acquainted with Dr. J. K. Miller, under whose direction he took up the stiidy
of anatomy and microscopy, to which he devoted three years before he entered a medical
college. As a result of this thorough preparation he was admitted to the second year's
work on examination. Through his college days he was associated with H. N. Gaines,
who later became state superintendent of education in Kansas. After pursuing the reg-



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 627

ular course in the Kansas City Medical College, now the medical department of the Uni-
versity of Kansas, at Kansas City, Missouri, Dr. Canfield was graduated with the class
of 1893. He had previously spent nine months, covering the previous summer and fall,
in the Municipal Hospital of Kansas City, thus putting his theoretical knowledge to the
practical test and gaining much broad and valuable experience.

In May, 1893, Dr. Canfield located for practice at Van Buren, Arkansas, where he
remained for six months, after which he removed to Siloam Springs in the same state,
practicing at that point for fourteen years. Later he removed to Seattle, where he ar-
rived in January, 1908, and has since successfully followed his profession. He has taken
post-graduate work in the Chicago Policlinic and in the hospitals of New York and
Boston and he now devotes his attention to the general practice of medicine and surgery.
He belongs to the King County Medical Society, the Washington State Medical Society
and the American Medical Association. During his residence in Arkansas he served as
president of the county organization and as vice president of the state organization. He
is now physician for the House of the Good Shepherd, in which connection he has re-
mained for the past five years. He was also founder and owner of the Fountain City
Hospital at Siloam Springs during his residence there.

On the 19th of November, 1889, Dr. Canfield was married at Foster, Missouri, to
Miss Ada Laughlin, a native of Iowa and a daughter of David W. Laughlin, a stockman
and farmer of Bates county, Missouri. To the Doctor and his wife have been born eight
children, as follows : Clearice, who was a teacher in the public schools of Centerville
and Argj'le, Washington, and is now pursuing a university course ; Virgil David, who
wedded Miss Emma Meyer, daughter of George Meyer, of Seattle; Herbert Florian, who
is a senior in the electrical engineering department of the University of Washington;
Damon R., who is now in his second year in that institution ; Iris Fern, a student in the
Lincoln high school; Charles, who passed away in October, 1914, when about thirteen
years of age ; Ruby R., and Evelyn E.

The family residence is at No. 1804 East Fiftictli street, where the Doctor owns a
commodious and very beautiful home, and his office is at No. 606 in the Joshua Green
building. Fraternally he is connected with the Masons, the Knights of Pythias and the
Woodmen of the World. In politics he is independent and his religious faith is indicated
in his membership in the University Methodist Episcopal church. He is a life member
of the Commercial Club and also a member of the Mountaineers. He finds his principal
diversion in hunting and fishing and turns to those sports when the duties of professional
life become too pressing. His is a most creditable record. He displayed the elemental
strength of his character in working his own way through college and then, prompted by
laudable ambition, entered upon his professional career, wherein conscientious service
and ability have won him notable success.



ALVIN HEMRICH.



Alvin Hemrich, of Seattle, is a prominent and successful representative of brewing
interests as president of the Hemrich Brothers Brewing Company, the Aberdeen Brewing
Company of Aberdeen, Washington, and the Claussen Brewing Association of Seattle.
His birth occurred at Alma, Buffalo county. Wisconsin, on the T4th of February, 1870, his
parents being John and Katherine (Koeppel) Hemrich, both natives of Germany, the for-
mer born in Nefiingen. Karlsruhe. Baden, and the latter at Schwarzenbach-am-Wald,
Bavaria.

In the acquirement of an education Alvin Hemrich attended the common schools of
Alma, Wisconsin, and also pursued a commercial course in the evenings. Brewing inter-
ests have claimed his attention throughout his entire business career. He was born and
reared in a brewery owned by his father and has been familiar with the business from his
earliest youth. As the years have passed he has steadily prospered and at the present time
acts as president of the Hemrich Brothers Brewing Company, the Aberdeen Brewing Com-
pany of Aberdeen, Washington, and the Claussen Brewing Association of Seattle. He is



628 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

likewise a stockholder in the Seattle Brewing & Malting Company and the Supply Laun-
dry Company. He is a man of keen discrimination and sound judgment, and his execu-
tive ability and excellent management have brought to the concerns with which he is
connected a large degree of success.

On the 8th of May, 1889, at Alma, Wisconsin, Mr. Hemrich was united in marriage
to Miss Wilhelmina Rutschow, a daughter of Charles and Wilhelmina Rutschow. She
was born in Ganchendorf, Germany, was brought to the United States when ten years of
age and settled in Alma, Wisconsin, where she acquired a common school education. By
her marriage she has become the mother of three children, namely: Elmer E., Andrew L.
and Walter A.

In politics Mr. Hemrich has always been a democrat, loyally supporting the men and
measures of that party. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the German
Lutheran Zion's church, in which he serves as a trustee. Fraternally he is identified with
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Fraternal Order of Eagles, of which he is a
life member, the Loyal Order of Moose, the American Masonic Federation, the Sons of
Herman, the Improved Order of Red Men and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.
He likewise belongs to the Seattle Liederkranz and Seattle Arion, Ladies Aid Society. In
his business dealings he has been ever straightforward and reliable, enjoying the full con-
fidence of those with whom he is associated, and has ever manifested those qualities which
stand for honorable and desirable citizenship.



CAPTAIN HARRY W. CROSBY.

Captain Harry W. Crosby has lived on the Pacific coast from the age of nine years
and at the time when most boys are enjoying the protection of sheltered homes and the
advantages of educational training he was the owner of a two-masted schooner and since
that time has commanded vessels plying in the Pacific waters. He was born May 24, 1878,
in Stearns county, Minnesota, a son of Clarence E. and Jennie M. (Woolhart) Crosby.
The father, a native of Maine, is now residing in Port Orchard, Washington, but the mother,
who was born in New York, now lives at Mount Baker Park.

.After attending the public schools of his native state to the age of nine years Harry
W. Crosby ran away to the west. The water always seemed to possess for him an irre-
sistible attraction and from the age of eleven years he has been connected in one phase
or another with the tug-boat business. After working in the employ of others until he had
saved sufficient capital he purchased his first boat, a two-masted schooner, Harry, and since
that time he has been master of a vessel. He bought a larger boat when he was but
fifteen years of age. In i8g6 he went to Alaska in the schooner Sea Light and his life on
the sea has brought him many varied and ofttimes exciting and dangerous experiences. On
one occasion he w-as bloVvn oflt the fishing banks in an open dory in a blinding snowstorm
and was out four days and nights before he could reach land. At length he made a little
island, where he secured a handful of raw mussels when the tide went out. He tied his
boat to a tree and when he awakened from the heavy sleep of which he was so much
in need the pounding of the surf had worn the rope by which the boat was fastened to a
single strand. He took the tree along as a drag and finally found a channel between two
islands near where the California was wrecked. There he came upon Indians who were
making a portage and they gave him food and shelter. One of the nights that he was
out he crawled under a canvas that he had had in the dory. It froze tight to him and he
heard the wolves howling around him all night. He stayed with the Indians for two months
and assisted them in logging. He was then caught by a tree which he was felling and his
leg was broken in four places. It was seven days and nights before he could reach a
•hospital and the result of his injury has been a stiff knee. For six months and eight days
he remained in the hospital, blood poisoning setting in, until it seemed that his life could
not be prolonged, but the untiring efforts of Dr. Simpson, combined with his strong consti-
tution, at length saved him.

In 1902 Captain Crosby went to Nome, .Alaska, in the smallest steamer that has ever




CAPTAIN HARRY \V. CROSBY



:&A^



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 631

made tlie trip from Seattle, called the King Hurst. On the long trip to Alaska the boat
in which he was sailing was frozen in the ice for eight days. In the summer of 1914 he
took his family with him in a tug boat to Alaska, finding it a much more pleasant journey
than many others which he had experienced. In 1907 he went to California, built The
Sentinel and ran her on the Sacramento river for two years but at the end of that time
returned to Seattle. He had sold out his business, which had been conducted under the name
of the Crosby Tug Boat Company when he left and he is now manager of the Washington
Tug & Barge Company and is a heavy stockholder in the Independent Towing Company
and is president of the Swift, Arthur, Crosby Company, owning a salmon cannery in Alaska
which has been in operation for three years. It is a splendidly equipped establishrnent.
There is a cold storage plant, the factory is equipped with iron chink machines and the
output is about thirty thousand cases per year. This business alone is a profitable venture
which might well claim his time and attention, but he is a resourceful man and has con-
ducted important and profitable undertakings along other lines. His company, with Captain
Crosby in charge, raised the Curaco, which was sunk in seventy-four feet of water at
Heceta island in 1914. The vessel, which weighed fifteen hundred tons, is now in Vancouver
being repaired. In twenty years Captain Crosby has owned forty-four steamers and he
was the first man to tow barges tandem, having taken as high as five barges from Seattle
to Vancouver, British Columbia. In addition to his other interests he is vice president
of the Nordby Fisheries Supply Company. Captain Crosby obtained his master's license
when twenty-one years of age. Efficiency would have given it to him when he was fifteen
had it not been for the law which placed the age limit at twenty-one. During the early
period of his residence in Seattle he saw the smuggler, the San Juan, which he said he would
iiwn some day. Eleven years later he realized his ambition by obtaining the boat for
eight hundred dollars. He brought her to Seattle and after her boilers blew up sold her
for twelve hundred dollars. There is no phase of seafaring life with which Captain Crosby
is not familiar. He loves the open sea and has made his natural predilection and tendency'
a source of his business success.

On the nth of January, 1898, Captain Crosby was married in Wayne county, Illinois,
to Miss Bertha L. McDaniel, a daughter of Mrs. Lydia L. McDaniel, who now resides
with them. They have two sons : Harold, aged fifteen ; and Forrest, aged thirteen.
Captain Crosby has built a fine tug boat for each of his sons and both of his boys show-
all of their father's fondness for boats and the water.

The life history of Captain Crosby if written in detail would present many a chapter
more thrilling than tliat of any tale of fiction. He has lived to see wonderful changes in
navigation methods and there is no phase of marine transportation with which he is not
acquainted. He has the spirit of independence which such a life engenders and the refresh-
ing quality of the salt breeze is in his conversation. Seafaring life relieves one of many
of the conventionalities which so largely seem to bind the spirit and keep the individual
in a groove where others have been. It is indeed a pleasure to spend an hour or two in
conversation with Captain Crosby, particularly when one can find him in a reminiscent
mood, ready to relate the tales of his e-xperiences.



CHARLES E. CONGLETON.

Charles E. Congleton, attorney at law, of Seattle, was born September 15, 1874, in
Du Page county, Illinois, his parents being James A. and Elma L. Congleton. The father,
a native of Pennsylvania, went to Illinois in his boyhood days and was there reared upon
a farm. After the outbreak of the Civil war he joined the Union army, becoming a
member of the One Hundred and Fifth Illinois Infantry, with which he participated in
many hotly contested engagements, remaining with that command until the close of hos-
tilities. He was with Sherman on the march to the sea, and although he was often in
the thickest of the fight, he escaped without harm and was honorably discharged after the
surrender of General Lee. At present he is retired from active business and is living at
Holland, Michigan, with his son Frank, who is vice president of the Bush & Lane Piano



632 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Company. His wife passed away about igio. In the family were but three children, those
besides our subject being the son already mentioned and Mrs. Harlan Hicks, whose hus-
band is a salesman residing in Chicago.

Charles E. Congleton pursued his early education in the public school of Wheaton,
Illinois, and afterward attended Wheaton College, from which he graduated in 1897. He
did clerical work in a law office in Chicago for two years, after which he entered the Chi-
cago Kent College of Law, from which he was graduated in 1901. The same year he was
admitted to the bar in Illinois and for twelve months thereafter remained in Chicago, hav-
ing charge of the legal interests and collections for the Consolidated Dental Manufacturing
Company. In the fall of 1902 he arrived in Seattle, where he has since remained in active
practice and is now accorded a liberal clientage. He prepares his cases carefully and the
strength of his argument is based upon a thorough understanding of the law and correct
application of legal principles to the points at issue.

On the 25th of September, 1901, in Wheaton. Illinois, Mr. Congleton was united in
marriage with Miss Susan Wyckoff, a daughter of the late Rev. J. D. Wyckoff, who was
a minister of the Congregational church and well known throughout the Prairie state for
his good work and noble life. Mr. and Mrs. Congleton hold membership in the Prospect
Congregational church and they are widely and favorably known in this city.



THOMAS HUNTINGTON KOLDERUP.

Thomas Huntington Kolderup is vice consul for Norway at Seattle, where he figures
prominently in financial circles as the vice president and cashier of the Guardian Savings
Bank. He was born in Bergen, Norway, July 17, 1868. His father, P. M. Kolderup, now
deceased, was a very prominent and successful importer of Bergen, where he remained to
the time of his death. He married Rikke Behrens, also a native of Norway and now
deceased. They had a family of ten children, of whom Thomas Huntington was the eighth
in order of birth and the only one to come to America.

After studying in the public schools of Bergen, Thomas H. Kolderup continued his
education in the university at Christiania, Norway, from which he was graduated with the
Bachelor of Arts degree in 1888. The lure of the new world was upon him and the fol-
lowing year he crossed the Atlantic, settling in Chicago. He immediately secured employ-
ment in the office of the Columbia Rubber Company, later the B. F. Goodrich Rubber
Company. His position was a most humble one, but gradually merit and ability enabled
him to work his way upward until he became assistant manager, remaining with that com-
pany as one of its most trusted representatives from 1889 until 1906, when he resigned his
position and came to Seattle. For a short period he engaged in the real estate business in
this city and later he became assistant cashier of the Scandinavian American Bank, which
position he filled until 1914. On the nth of August, 1915, he became cashier and vice
president of one of Seattle's latest financial institutions, the Guardian Savings Bank,
located at No. Soi First avenue. He had aided in organizing this institution, which took
over the investment banking business of Joseph E. Thomas & Company, Incorporated,
which had been operating in Seattle for fourteen years. The president of the new institu-
tion is Joseph E. Thomas, who during his connection with the firm of Joseph E. Thomas &
Company had built up a reputable business, with a clientele of over seven hundred indi-
vidual and institutional investors in thirty-three states and three foreign countries. Dur-
ing this time his firm placed approximately four million five hundred thousand dollars in
Seattle bonds and mortgages. The new banking institution is operating along the same
lines and the men who are associated therewith as officers and heads of departments are
all young men of experience. The officers have chosen two words as their motto, "per-
sonal service," and believe that upon that basis they can establish a successful banking
business. Already they have gained recognition from the public and have obtained a liberal
patronage.

Mr. Kolderup also fills the important position of vice consul to Norway, having in T906



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 633

liecome successor of Andrew Chilberg, who has the distinction of being the oldest vice consul
in point of service in the northwest.

On the 4th of August, 1897, in Chicago, Illinois, Mr. Kolderup was united in marriage to
Miss Dina G. Behr, a native of Flekkefjord, Norway, and a daughter of Consul Anders
Behr. Mr. and Mrs. Kolderup reside at No. 3702 East Union street, where they own a beau-
tiful residence in which the spirit of hospitality reigns supreme. Mr. Kolderup is a mem-
ber of the Commercial Club but is identified with no secret or other social organizations.
He came to America a comparatively poor boy save that he had as the basis for success a
good education which had included instruction in the English language. He has made good
from the start, although he has had to meet the usual difticulties of the foreign-born in their
struggle for ascendency. He has worked his way steadily upward, however, and is today
one of the forceful and resourceful business men of Seattle, ready for any emergency, capa-
ble, farsighted and discriminating. His attachment for the city of his adoption precludes all
possibility of a permanent return to his native land.



JAMES EUSTACE BLACKWELL.

James Eustace Blackwcll, an architect and civil engineer whose professional ability has
been called into play in connection with the construction of many important public works
of Seattle and the northwest, was born in Fauquier county, Virginia, on the gth of Septem-
ber, 1855. His father, Moore Carter Blackwcll, traces the family ancestry back to Joseph
Blackwell, an Englishman by birth, who was sent to the new world by King Charles I. as
king's surveyor in 1636 and settled at "The Poplars," in Northumberland county, Virginia.
The line is traced down through Samuel Blackwell, who was born in 1680 and married Mar-
gery Hudnall, nee Downman. Their son, Joseph Blackwell, born in 1715, wedded Lucy
Steptoe and their son, Major Joseph Blackwell, born in 1750, married Anne Eustace, widow
of Captain Hall. The direct ancestor in the fifth generation was James Blackwell, who
was born July 4, 1805, and married Elizabeth Carter. They became the parents of Moore
Carter Blackwell, who was born in April, 1833. He wedded Sarah Alexander Foote, who
was of Scotch and English descent. Moore C. Blackwell served in the Confederate army
with the rank of captain.

His son, James E. Blackwell, was educated in the Betliel Military .'\cademy, in Fau-
(|uier county, Virginia, and took up the profession of civil engineering, engaging in land
surveying and engineering on the James river and Kanawha canal, Virginia. After finish-
ing the survey of the canal he entered the office of the government supervising architect at
Washington, D. C, gaining broad and valuable experience there. Later he began contract-
ing in the line of his profession at Rochester, New York. In 1890 he became identified with
the northwest and continued in the practice of architecture at Tacoma until 1892. During
the succeeding four years he was engaged in building the United States dry dock at Port
Orchard and in 1897 he came to Seattle, where he has since made his home and where he
lias won a creditable position in the practice of his profession. He has done considerable
public work. He now owns his own home and other property in Seattle, also property in
Charleston, Washington, and mining interests in Okanogan county.

His military experience came to him through training in the Bethel Military Academy,
from which he was graduated as first lieutenant. His political allegiance is given to the
democratic party, but he is more impressed with the necessity for honesty, efficiency and
economy in government than in the preponderance of party. While at Charleston, Wash-
ington, he filled the offices of councilman and of mayor and while he has never sought nor
desired office he has always been unanimously elected whenever he has consented to become
a candidate, his fellow townsmen recognizing his ability and his public spirit.

On the 24th of June. 1879, at Alexandria, Virginia, Mr. Blackwell was married to Miss
Lucretia Virginia McLean, of the Old Dominion, a daughter of Alajor McLean, who was
the owner of the house at Appomattox in which General Lee surrendered to General Grant.
On the 8th of April, 1891, Mr. Blackwell was married, in Washington, D. C, to Eleanor
Semmes Riggs, of that city. His children are: Wilmer Carter, who married Pauline Black-



634 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

well, of Hot Springs, Virginia; Frances Grayson, the wife of F. B. Talbott, of Chaneyville,
Maryland ; and Lenore Riggs, at home. The family are communicants of St. Mark's Episco-
pal church.

Mr. Blackwell is connected with the Woodmen of the World, a benevolent insurance
organization, and he belongs to the Rainier Club and also to the Municipal League of
Seattle. He was formerly a member of the Chamber of Commerce and a director of the
Commercial Club and he is now identified with the Washington State Chapter of the
American Institute of Architects and the Pacific Northwest Society of Engineers. He is
interested in all that tends to raise the standards of his profession and promote the efficiency
of its representatives, and he keeps in close touch with the progress that has been made along
architectural lines in the new world.



J. DURAND HUNT.



J. Durand Hunt is the secretary of the Drummond Lighterage Company, in which cor.
nection he is now actively associated in one of the important business enterprises of this
character on the Sound. A son of A. B. and Sarah J. Hunt, he was born at Petrolia,
Ontario, Canada, in Jul}', 1881, and pursued his education in the public schools there until
1890, when the family removed to Seattle and he continued his education in the public
schools of this city, completing his course by graduation from the high school as a member
of the class of 1899. At the beginning of his business career he was employed as shipping
clerk by the Chlopeck Fish Company, acting in that capacity for two years, when in 1901
he was transferred to their San Francisco branch to act as cashier. He remained in that
position at the Golden Gate until 1902, when he returned to Seattle and engaged in the
fish business on his own account. After a year, however, he sold out, and entered the
service of the Northern Pacific Railway Company as weigh master and later became
chief clerk to the terminal superintendent, remaining with the company for a decade, or
until 1913, when he became secretary, trustee and one of the stockholders of the Drum-



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 76 of 142)