Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 77 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 77 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


mond Lighterage Company.

In October, 1900, Mr. Hunt was married in Seattle to Miss Alma Leighton, and they
have many friends in the city where they reside and where Mr. Hunt has spent the greater
part of his life. He belongs to the Knights of Pythias fraternity, to the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows and the Royal Arcanum, and is likewise a member of the Transportation
Club.



JOHN W. EFAW.



John W. Efaw is secretary of the Seattle Mattress & Upholstery Company, in which
connection he has built up a large and important manufacturing plant that contributes to
the material development of the city. He is likewise interested in municipal progress and
cooperates actively in plans and measures for the general good. A native of Illinois, he was
born in Monmouth, on the i8th of December, i860, his parents being Jesse and Mary J.
Efaw, who at an early day removed from Indiana to Illinois and eventually came to the
northwest, establishing their home in Seattle, where the father passed away in January,
1893. His wife survived him for two decades, her death occurring in January, 1913.

John W. Efaw attended the graded schools of Illinois and of Kansas and in the latter
state took up the profession of teaching, which he followed from 1880 until 1890. In Octo-
ber of the latter year he brought his family to Washington and was a resident of Tacoma
until August, 1891, since which time he has resided in Seattle. He was in the employ of the
Pacific Lounge & Mattress Company from 1890 until 1897, when he organized the Seattle
Mattress & Upholstery Company, of which he has since been the secretary and manager. His
energies are chiefly concentrated upon his business and he has been largely instrumental in
developing an important manufacturing plant, in which he has been associated for the past
eighteen years with T. S. Lippy and A. G. Foster, while in recent years his two older sons.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 635

La Forrest and Rainier, have become connected with the enterprise. In addition to his
connection with the mattress manufacturing and upholstering business he is interested to
some extent in real estate in this city.

In Kansas in 1884 Air. Efaw was married to Miss Martha Wood, a daughter of L. S.
Wood. She was educated in the schools of Kansas and at the age of eighteen years was
married, since which time she has been her husband's able adviser and companion in all the
activities of his life. They have four children : Wilma, the wife of John E. Rieke, financial
secretary of the local Young Men's Christian Association ; La Forrest ; Rainier F. ; and
John.

The parents are members of the First Methodist Episcopal church and Mr. Efaw was
a member of the board of control of the Epworth League from 1908 until 1912, this board
of eighteen members having supervision of the membership of the organization, numbering
one million, throughout the world. In politics Mr. Efaw is a republican with progressive
views, and was chairman of the dry campaign committee during the successful contest for
statewide prohibition in 191 4. His influence has always been on the side of temperance and,
in fact, he stands for progress and improvement in all matters of public welfare and for the
betterment of the individual. He has been a member of the library board of Seattle since
191 o, during which time, as chairman of the building and grounds committee, he has had
much to do with the building of the Queen Anne, Yesler and Columbia branches. Since
1889 he has been a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and he belongs to the
Rotary Club, to the Commercial Club and tlie Municipal League. Aside from his business,
in which he has obtained honorable and well merited success, he has directed his activities
in connection with and support of such organizations and agencies as look to make the city
a healthy, happy place in which to live and rear children. He believes in surrounding the
individual with such an environment as will produce his best development, and to this end
lie lias supiiortcd the temperance movement and all moral agencies which look to tlie public
uplift.



CHARLES H. MORFORD.



Charles H. Morford, secretary and one of the stockholders of the MacDougall & South-
wick Company, has risen to his present enviable and creditable position in commercial cir-
cles from a most humble place, his close application and indefatigable energy gaining for
him the advancement that now makes him a leading figure in connection with mercantile
interests in this section of the country. When a man possesses determination, resolute pur-
pose and unassailable integrity, obstacles and difficulties in the business world vanish before
him as mists before the morning sun.

Mr. Morford is a native of Muscatine, Iowa, born March 24, 1868. His father. Remem-
brance Morford, was a native of Pennsylvania and removed to Iowa in 1835, when the
state was still under territorial rule, in fact was a part of the territory of Wisconsin. He
became a pioneer settler near Muscatine, which place was then known as Bloomington, and
there he followed farming successfully for many years. In 1887 he removed to Seattle and
during the intervening period has lived retired, enjoying the fruits of his former toil. For
one term he served as a member of the city council of Seattle. In early manhood he wedded
Katherine Rupp, a native of Ohio. Their marriage was celebrated in Muscatine and Mrs.
Morford also survives.

Charles H. Morford was the third in a family of five children and in the country schools
of Iowa he pursued his early education, while later he continued his studies in the city
schools of Muscatine. His boyhood days were spent upon the home farm until he reached
the age of eighteen years, when, ambitious to earn his own living, he started out in life inde-
pendently, turning his attention to the vocation of teaching. For a year he was connected
with the schools in Pottawattamie county, Iowa, after which he removed to Seattle and
immediately entered the employ of the Oregon Improvement Company, for which he did
clerical work for two years. He was afterward with the Seattle & International Railway
Company, now a part of the Northern Pacific system, for three years and afterward entered
mercantile lines on his own account, being associated with W. E. Burgess in a bazaar busi-



636 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

ness for a year. He then disposed of his interest in that undertaking and became connected
with the MacDougall & Southwick Company, which was organized in 1S91. He began with
the firm in a humble capacity but gradually worked his way upward, filling all kinds of posi-
tions, clerical and in connection with the buying force. Step by step he advanced until the
recognition of his marked ability led to his election to the position of secretary of the com-
pany, of which he is also one of the stockholders. This company is a corporation, one of
a chain of forty-two department stores located in diflferent parts of the United States and
Canada, one of the largest being the establishment in Seattle. They operate very extensively
in the commercial field and their undertaking is one of immense value to the district. Mr.
Morford has earned for himself an enviable reputation as a careful man of business and
in his dealings is known for his prompt and honorable methods, which have won him the
deserved and unbounded confidence of his fellowmen. In addition to his connection with the
MacDougall & Southwick Company he is the president of the Seattle Retail Credit Bureau
and is widely known and honored among leading business men of this city.

On the 4th of December, 1889, in Macedonia, Iowa, Mr. Morford was united in mar-
riage to Miss Lola Cale, a native of Iowa and a daughter of A. M. Cale. They have one
child. Naomi, born in Seattle. The family home is an attractive residence at No. 929 Nine-
teenth avenue, which Mr. Morford owns.

Fraternally Mr. Morford is connected with the Royal Arcanum and also has member-
ship with the Rotary Club and the Commercial Club. He belongs to St. Mark's Episcopal
church, in which he is serving as treasurer, and he gives his political allegiance to the
republican partj'. At the age of eighteen he was practically empty-handed, today he is a
prominent and prosperous business man of the northwest ; which leads one to reflect that it
is the enterprise and character of the citizen that enrich and ennoble the commonwealth.
From individual enterprise has sprung all the splendor and importance of this great west.
The greatest merchants have developed from the humblest origins. From clerkships have
emerged men who have built great enterprises. America is a self-made countrj^ and those
who have created it are self-made men. No influence of birth or fortune has favored the
architects of her glory. Among those who have achieved prominence as men of marked
ability and substantial worth in Seattle, Charles H. Morford now occupies a notable position.



TIMOTHEUS JOSENHANS.

As senior member of tlie firm of Josenhans & Allan. Timotheus Josenhans has become
well known as a leading architect of Seattle, with the business interests of which city he
has been identified for twenty-eight years. Many of the substantial and beautiful structures
of the city owe their existence to his efforts and ability. He was the architect of manj-
of the early buildings destroyed in the fire of 1889 and has been the builder of many which
have since been erected. He has back of him the ideals of old-world architecture and
possesses resourcefulness which enables him to meet the demands of the new world.

Mr. Josenhans was born near Stuttgart, in the province of Wurtemberg, Germany,
October 11. 1853, and in 1855 was brought by his parents to the new world. His father,
Jonathan Josenhans, who had previously been engaged in merchandising in Germany,
turned his attention to farming in Michigan on land now within the corporation limits of
Ann Arbor. He married Charlotte Weigle and both reached a very advanced age.

In a family of twelve children, seven sons and five daughters, Timotheus Josenhans was
reared, and he supplemented his public-school training in Michigan by a course in the Univer-
sity at Ann .^rbor, where he completed the study of civil engineering with the class of 1878.
He also took up the study of architecture under W. L. B. Jenny, now of Chicago, and for a
time he engaged in teaching German in the public schools of McGregor, Iowa. At the
end of a year, however, he removed to New Mexico, where he became connected with the
engineering corps in the construction of the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad, but ill health
obliged him to leave that district after a year and half and he removed to San Diego,
California, where he became interested in the construction of the California Southern
Railwav between San Diego and San Bernardino. From California he made his way north-




Y C/l-^i^^^^^^'"^^^^^"^^''^^




U.'Vv."\\c ^-'''^^



|.H\



;.■,».•. ^



&^\



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 639

ward to Portland, Oregon, and took his initial step as an architect by entering the oflice
of Mr. Sherwin, an Englishman who was a prominent representative of the profession
and with whom he remained until Mr. Sherwin's death. Later he was employed in the
oftice of W. H. Williams, the most prominent architect of the city, and since that time
he has been engaged more largely in following the profession of architecture than of
engineering save for the time when he had charge of the construction of the West Point
lighthouse in King county.

Mr. Josenhans became a permanent resident of Seattle in the spring of 1888 and entered
the employ of H. Steinman, whom he represented as foreman for three years. On the
expiration of that period he embarked in business on his own account and two years later
he entered into partnership with James Stephen, a connection that was continued until
the latter went to Alaska in 1895. During the following two years Mr. Josenhans was
again alone in business but in 1897 was joined by Norris B. Allan in forming the present
partnership. He was the builder of many of the early structures of the city and he de-
signed many of the warehouses of Seattle, the power houses for the cable and electric
railways and many blocks that are now standing. He erected the administration building
and dormitory of the Agricultural College, also the gymnasium and armory and the chemistry
building. He built two dormitories for the State University, the science hall and the power
house, and among the fine residences which he has erected are the homes of Alden J. Blethen,
Jr., at the corner of Highland Drive and Fifth avenue. West; that of Rev. \\'allacc Nutting,
now owned by Mary M. Miller; the homes of .\. M. Cadien and P. L. Runkle ; a doulile house
for A. Hancock and many others.

On the 15th of May, 1889, Mr. Josenhans was united in marriage to Miss Emma L.
Parsons, who was born in Sivas, Asia Minor, where her parents were missionaries at the
time, but she was educated at Ann Arbor, Michigan. Her father, Rev. Benjamin Parsons,
was a native of New Jersey. His son, Henry Parsons, who was also born in Sivas, became
a noted chemist and was connected with the agricultural department at Washington, D. C.
Later he was a professor in the university at Ann Arbor. Charles Parsons, another son, is
editor of the Pharmaceutical Era of New York, published by D. O. Haynes, of the Com-
mercial Advertiser, who was a classmate of our suliject while in college. Mr. and Mrs.
Josenhans have two children, Sarah Charlotte and Margaret Parsons.

Mr. Josenhans and his family hold memljership in the Plymouth Congregational church
and they have a wide acquaintance throughout the city. Theirs is a beautiful and attractive
home which is the center of many pleasing social functions. In politics Mr. Josenhans is
a republican, supporting the candidates best qualified for office at local elections, however.
He was appointed by Mayor Cotterill in February, 1914, as superintendent of buildings and
reappointed by Mayor Hiram C. Gill at the expiration of his term under Mayor Cotterill.
The only other public position he has ever filled has been that of building inspector. In
his career he has forged steadily to the front. He has not been actuated by the spirit of
vaulting ambition, neither has he been afraid to venture where favoring opportunity
has led the way. His native and acquired ability and the sterling traits of his character
have brought him into prominent relations with a profession which has had much to do
witli making Seattle tlie beautiful coast city that it is today.



JAMES VAN ALEN SMITH.

James Van Alcn Smith, cashier for the Northwest Trust & Safe Deposit Company, doing
a general banking, safe deposit and trust business in Seattle, was born July 11, 1872, in
Grand Rapids, Michigan. His father, Eben Smith, was born at Penn Yan, New York,
December 20, 1832, and was a graduate of Hamilton College of Clinton, New Y'ork, in
which institution he studied law. On the 2d of April, 1861, he wedded Carrie Burr, of Grand
Rapids, Michigan, where they resided until October, 1882, when they removed to Seattle
with their family, numbering five sons and a daughter. The father died April 6, 1906, after
a residence of almost a quarter of a century in the northwest, and the mother passed away
on the 15th of January, 1914.

Vol. Ill— 28



640 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

In the public schools of his native city and of Seattle James Van Alen Smith pursued
his education, being graduated from the Seattle high school with the class of 1889. In
October of the same year he made his initial step in the business world as messenger in the
Puget Sound National Bank and by industry and fidelity worked his way upward through
the different clerical positions of the bank to that of paying teller. He resigned in 1902 to
accept the position of cashier with the Northwest Trust & Safe Deposit Company, of which
he has become one of the principal stockholders. In that position he has since worked
untiringly for the interests of the institution, bending his energies to administrative direc-
tion and executive control. His obliging manner, hs efforts to accommodate his patrons
when it can be done without hazarding the interests of others, have made him a popular
offcial and one whose labors have been of the utmost benefit to the company.

On the 2d of April, 1897, Mr. Smith was united in marriage to Miss Ellen B. Hubbard,
a daughter of Fred W. Hubbard, formerly of Middletown, Connecticut. She was graduated
with honors from the Washington State University in the class of 1895. Two children were
born to them, Sherwood Hubbard and Gertrude Burwell, but the family circle was broken
by the hand of death, the mother passing away as the result of tuberculosis April 26, 1902.

Mr. Smith is a member of Plymouth Congregational church, in which he is filling the
office of treasurer, and in its work he takes an active and helpful interest. He is treasurer
of the anti-tuberculosis league and chairman of the Red Cross Seal committee. He is thus
taking a deep interest in one of the vital problems which confront the country today and he
cooperates in various plans and measures which are of direct benefit to his city. Fraternally
he is connected with the Royal Arcanum. His political allegiance was given to the repub-
lican party until the organization of the progressive party, since which time he has been
identified with the latter. He believes that an advance step should be taken in politics just
as in other walks of life and feels that he is giving his allegiance where strenuous effort
is being put forth to purify and improve political conditions and thus advance the interests
of the nation.



PERRY POLSON.



Perry Poison, president of the Poison Implement Company of Seattle, was born at
Halmstad, Sweden, on the 8th of July, 1854, a son of Olof and Gunilla (Mattison) Poison,
both of whom were natives of the province of Halland, Sweden. There they were reared,
educated and married and in 1867, with their family of seven children, they emigrated to the
new world, settling in Iowa, where they lived for four years. In 1871 they became resi-
dents of Washington territory, bringing with them their family, then numbering eight chil-
dren. Another child was born in this state, making in all five sons and four daughters.

Perry Poison acquired his education in the common and public schools of Sweden and
of the United States. When attending school in his native land, between the ages of ten
and thirteen 3'ears, one hour of each day was devoted to carrying a wooden gun for drill and
gymnastic outdoor exercises. He was born and reared upon a farm, having the usual experi-
ences that come to the farm-bred boy. At the age of twenty years he engaged in gold min-
ing and in lumbering, devoting three years to that work for the firm of Meacham & Nason
at Barkerville and in adjacent towns in British Columbia. In 1878 he turned to the Puget
Sound country and engaged in farming near La Conner, where he continued until the fall
of 1881, since which time he has been engaged in the liardware and farm machinery business.
In 1886 he organized the present firm operating under the name of the Poison Implement
Company of Seattle and the business has grown to extensive proportions, with branches in
Portland, Oregon, and Spokane and La Conner, Washington. Its ramifying branches now
cover a wide territory and it is- one of the important commercial concerns of the northwest.
In 1905 he organized the Poison Realty Company of Seattle and has always been president
and manager of both corporations. In addition to his other interests he is a director and the
vice president of the Scandinavian-American Bank of Seattle.

On the loth of March, 1881, in Seattle, Mr. Poison was married to Miss Kate H.
Hinckley, a daughter of Jacob Carr and Margaret (Dunn) Hinckley, of Shasta City, Cali-



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 641

fornia. Her father was born in Belleville, Illinois, and was a brother of T. D. Hinckley,
of Seattle. He became editor and proprietor of a newspaper in Shasta City, but was a law-
yer by profession and at one time served as judge of the superior court of Shasta county.
His wife was born in Dublin, Ireland. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Poison are: Olof
Hinckley, now secretary of the Poison Implement Company; Minnie Elizabeth, secretary
of the Poison Realty Company; Helen Gertrude, the wife of Royden J. Gibson, book-
keeper for the Poison Implement Company; and Harold Leonard, who is attending the
Queen Anne high school.

Mr. Poison is a republican and voted for William Howard Taft both in igo8 and in 1912.
He is a protectionist and also a believer in liberal immigration laws. He has held minor
offices, such as road supervisor and school director, and while in La Conner, Washington,
was also a member of the city council and mayor. Fraternally he is connected with the
Masons and the United Workmen and is also identified with the Rainier and Arctic Clubs. He
is also a member of the Seattle Chamber of Commerce and president of the Seattle Mer-
chants' Association, while his religious faith is that of the Methodist Episcopal church. He
has been a close student of business situations, is a farsighted and sagacious man, and in
handling important public problems brings to bear sound judgment, combined with the deep-
est interest in those projects which are basic elements in a city's growth.



A. EDWARD GERHARDT, M. D.

Thorough preparatory training and hospital experience as an interne qualified Dr. A.
Edward Gerhardt for the practice of his profession in Seattle, where he has made a spe-
cialty of surgery. He was born in Fayette county, Illinois, October i, 1882, a son of Julius
and Caroline (Berg) Gerhardt. The father was born in Germany and during his very early
boyhood was brought by his parents to the United States, the family settling in Fayette
county, Illinois, where, after arriving at years of maturity, Julius Gerhardt turned his atten-
tion to farming, which he followed throughout his remaining days, passing away in 1886.

His son, Dr. A. Edward Gerhardt, obtained his early education in private schools and in
1905, when a young man of twenty-two years, he went to Chicago, where he became a stu-
dent in the medical department of Northwestern University. He completed the full four
years' course and was graduated in 1909, his high standing in his class securing him appoint-
ment to the position of interne in St. Luke's Hospital at Chicago, with which he was thus
associated for two years. On the expiration of that period, or in 191 1, he arrived in Seattle,
where he has practiced continuously since. He is particularly skillful in the field of surgery,
having comprehensive knowledge of anatomy, the component parts of the human body and
the onslaughts made upon it by disease.

On the 17th of July, 1912, Dr. Gerhardt was married in Kirkland, Washington, to Miss
Elizabeth Walsh. He is a republican in his political views and his military experience came
to him through service as a first lieutenant of the Medical Reserve Corps of the United
States army. Along strictly professional lines his connection is with the King County
Aledical Society, the State Medical Society and the American Medical Association and he
also belongs to the Seattle Surgical Club. His contemporaries recognize his skill in his pro-
fession and his ability is further attested by the liberal patronage accorded him.



JOHN C. REDWARD.



Many monuirients to the skill and ability of John C. Redward as a builder are yet to be
seen in Seattle and indicate that he stood in the foremost rank of those who are accorded
important public contracts. He was a native of London, England, born in 1848, and in the
world's metropolis learned the carpenter's trade. The year 1873 witnessed his arrival in
Chicago and in 1875 he became a resident of San Francisco. He also lived at Portland,
Oregon, for a time before removing to Seattle in 1882, after which as a contractor and



642 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

builder he was prominently identified with the business interests of this city. The excellence
of his work, his thorough understanding of the scientific principles underlying construction
and his reliability in carrying out all business transactions brought to him almost immediate
success. He built the Bank of O'Connor at O'Connor, Washington, the marine barracks at
Bremerton, did all of the work at Port Orchard and built the power houses at Snoqualmie
Falls. In Seattle he erected the Arlington Hotel, the Snoqualmie Hotel, the Hussey build-



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 77 of 142)