Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 78 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 78 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

ing, the Schwabachen building and many other of the prominent structures of the city,
including most of the large municipal buildings which were erected during his time. In a
word, he was one of the foremost contractors of Seattle.

In Chicago, in 1892, Mr. Redward was married to Miss Emily Pryor, a native of that
city, and they became the parents of four children : Mrs. Elizabeth Ahlers ; Will Pryor, the
famous violinist; and Nellie and Charles, both of Seattle. The family circle was severed
by the hand of death on the 19th of January, 1915, when the husband and father passed away.
His loss was deeply felt in many connections, for he had been a valued member of the
Builders Association, the Seattle Athletic Club, the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks
and the Masonic fraternity, in which he attained high rank, becoming a Mystic Shriner. He
also belonged to the Christian Science church. In his political belief he was a republican
and for one term served as a member of the city council of Seattle, but always preferred
that his public duties should be done as a private citizen. He had great faith in the city
and cooperated in many ways in its upbuilding and development, both along the line of his
chosen vocation and in other ways, standing at all times for progress, improvement and


Throughout his entire life William J. Chisholm has been identified with the lumber
industry and is now vice president and general manager of the Merrill & Ring Lumber
Company of Seattle. Of Canadian birth, his natal day being March 30, 1857, he is a son
of James and Harriet (Barnum) Chisholm, the former a native of Scotland. Their
family numbered two sons, who were born in Toronto, Ontario. William J. Chisholm
acquired his early education in the schools of Canada but in 1868, when he was eleven
years of age, the family removed to Saginaw, Michigan, where he continued his education
as a public-school student. When a youth of sixteen, however, he started out in the
business world, securing employment in a shingle mill, and since that time he has been
continuously identified with the lumber mdustry. Thirty-five years ago he began work
for the Merrill Ring Company, Incorporated, then of Saginaw, Michigan, and as the
years passed he did all kinds of work in the woods and in the mills. In fact he became
acquainted with all branches of the business in the states of Minnesota, Michigan and
Washington, where the company operated. In 1907 he arrived in Seattle, when the pres-
ent office was established, and became general manager and vice president at this point
and also one of the stockholders in the business. There is no phase of the lumber trade
with which he is not thoroughly acquainted and he is thus able to carefully and wisely
direct the interests of the house. His sagacity is keen, his judgment is sound and his
enterprise unfaltering, and because of the possession of these qualities he is winning sub-
stantial success.

In 1889, in Saginaw, Michigan, Mr. Chisholm was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary
McPeak, a daughter of Richard McPeak and a representative of an old Saginaw family.
To them have been born two daughters, Margaret and Blanche. The family residence is
at No. 2712 Harvard avenue, north. The religious faith of the family is that of the
Presbyterian church, while in political belief Mr. Chisholm is a republican. In Masonic
circles he has attained high rank, having taken the degrees of the Scottish Rite and
become a Mystic Shriner in Seattle. He also has membership in the Elks lodge at Duluth,
while in clulj relations he is identified with the Cascade Club of Everett, the Metropolitan
and the Lumbermen's Clubs of Seattle. He is a man of broad and liberal views, un-
affected and unassuming in manner but possessing many sterling traits of character, as
his fellow citizens attest. He belongs to that class of men whose enterprising spirit is


used not alone for their own benefit ; he also advances the general good and promotes
public prosperity by his ably managed individual interests, thus placing this section of
the country on a par with the older east. He has excellent ability as an organizer, forms
his plans readily and is determined in their execution. This enables him to conquer ob-
stacles which deter many a man and has been one of the salient features in his success.


Frank Price Gardner, engaged in the practice of medicine at Seattle, is a native of
Pennsylvania, born November 7, 1868. His father, James H. Gardner, also born in the
Keystone state, died in 1893, at the age of sixty-five years. His mother, who bore the
maiden name of Harriet Kearns and was also a native of Pennsylvania, died in June,
1915, at the advanced age of eighty-nine years, having survived her husband for more
than two decades.

Dr. Gardner has been most liberally educated. He attended the schools of Pittsburgh,
Philadelphia and New York and is a graduate of the University of Western Pennsylvania,
the University of Pennsylvania and the Polyclinic University of New York, being thus
most liberally prepared for onerous professional duties. He practiced at Clarion, Penn-
sylvania, for four years, making his initial step in the profession at that place, and later
he engaged in the private practice of medicine in New York. For a time he was asso-
ciated with. John Wyeth and upon leaving the east in 1901 came direct to Seattle, open-
ing an office in the Mutual Life building, where he remained until the Cobb building
was completed. In the latter he now maintains well equipped and appointed olHces and
his practice has grown to substantial and gratifying proportions.

In Seattle Dr. Gardner was united in marriage to Miss Bertha Kahle. a native of
Pennsylvania. She is a graduate of the Mount Union, Overland and Clarion normal
schools. Dr. Gardner is a member of St. John's Lodge, No. 9, F. & A. M., of Seattle;
Chapter No. 19, R. A. M. ; Seattle Council, No. 6, R. & S. M. ; Seattle Commandcry,
No. 2, K. T., and has taken all of the degrees of the Scottish Rite up to and including
the thirty-second. He is likewise a member of the Mystic Shrine and is widely and
favorably known in Masonic circles. He is loyal to the teachings of the craft and its
purposes and he is, moreover, regarded most favorably in his profession by his colleagues
and contemporaries as well as by those who give him their professional patronage.


John Fortune, successfully conducting business as the president of the Fortune Trans-
fer Company, Incorporated, was born in Seaforth, Ontario, Canada, and in that place pur-
sued his education while spending his boyhood days in the home of his parents, Robert
and Margaret (Tully) Fortune, the former a native of Ireland. His residence in Seattle
dates from 1903. He established his present business during the widespread financial
panic and with practically no capital, but from a humble beginning has worked his way
steadily upward and in 1905 the Fortune Transfer Company. Incorporated, was organ-
ized. It was not incorporated, however, until 1913, at which time Mr. Fortune became
the president, with A. J. McMahon secretary and treasurer. In 1915 the latter sold his
interest to B. J. O'Reilly and these gentlemen are now members of the firm. They
conduct a general transfer business, catering largely to eastern business, and are as well
distributors to jobbers. When the business was started Mr. Fortune had but one horse
and the rig was driven by his brother. They now utilize six teams and three auto trucks
and employ from twenty to twenty-five men — a fact indicative of the steady growth and
success of the business.

Mr. Fortune was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Shea, a native of Seattle, and
to them have been born four children, as follows: Dan, whose natal day was May lu


1908; Evelyn, whose birth occurred December 29, 1909; John, born March 7, 1911; and
Donald, born June 25, 1913. The religious faith of the family is that of the Catholic
church and Mr. Fortune is also a member of the Knights of Columbus. He exercises his
right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the republican party and is
a believer in its principles but does not seek nor desire office. He is interested, however,
in Seattle's upbuilding and accordingly endorses many plans relative to the city's benefit
and improvement. He has become widely known during the period of his residence here
and is thoroughly satisfied with Seattle in that lie had found here the opportunities which
have led to substantial success.

\C'.: ' B. J. O'REILLY. •

B. J. O'Reilly, secretary and treasurer of the Fortune Transfer Company, Incor-
porated, was born in Ayton, Ontario, Canada, June 4, 1885, and pursued his education
in La Salle University of Toronto, from which he was graduated with the class of 1904.
He devoted five years in early manhood to stenographic work and bookkeeping and upon
removing to North Dakota followed court reporting for a year. He afterward became
connected with the wholesale grocery business and later went upon the road as a travel-
ing salesman for Nash Brothers of Grand Forks, North Dakota, whom he represented
for two years. He afterward filled a position with the Washburn-Crosby Company of
Minneapolis, being thus connected with the flour trade, and in 191 1 he came west to the
coast with Seattle as his destination. Here he represented the Bozeman Milling Company
of Bozeman, Montana, and is still connected with that business, traveling over Oregon
and Washington, with Seattle as his headquarters, also making his home in this city.
In 191 5 he purchased the interest of .A.. J. McMahon in the Fortune Transfer Company
and thus entered into partnership with John Fortune, who was the founder and pro-
moter of the business. They do a large transfer business, utilizing six teams and three
auto trucks and furnishing employment to from twenty to twently-five men.

Mr. O'Reilly was married to Miss Anna E. Donahue, a native of Minnesota. Fra-
ternally he is connected with the Elks Lodge, No. 92, of Seattle, and with the Knights
of Columbus, a fact which indicates his connection with the Catholic church. In politics
he is a Wilson democrat, greatly admiring the policy and attitude of the president and
seeking to secure the success of the principles for which he stands.


judge Hiram Elwood Hadley, former chief justice of the Washington supreme court
and now an active practitioner at the bar of Seattle, was born January 16, 1854. at Sylvania,
Indiana, and is descended from Quaker ancestors who settled in Pennsylvania at an early
period in the colonization of the new world. Later a removal was made to North Carolina,
thence to Ohio and afterward to Indiana. The parents of Judge Hadley were Jonathan
and Martha (McCoy) Hadley, both of whom were natives of Indiana, where the father
followed the occupation of farming. He was also active in settling up estates and was a
man in whom the public had marked confidence and one who never in the slightest degree
betrayed a trust. Both he and his wife have now passed away.

Their son, Hiram Elwood Hadley, began his education in the Rush Creek school, a
Quaker school situated just at the outskirts of his native town of Sylvania. He afterward
attended the Bloomingdale Academy at Bloomingdale, Indiana, and later the Earlham
College, also a Quaker institution, at Richmond, Indiana, remaining there to the junior
year. In 1908 that institution conferred upon him the honorary LL. D. degree. He left
Earlham to enter the Union College of Law in Chicago, which was then the law department _
of the old Chicago University and of the Northwestern University but is now the law jj
department only of the latter. He was graduated therefrom with the class of 1877 and:



located for practice in the same year at Bloomington, Illinois, \vhere he remained until
1881. He then removed to Rockville, in Parke county, Indiana, his native county, there
continuing in active practice until 1889, which was the year of his arrival in the Sound
country. He took up his abode at Bellingham Bay, Washington, where he engaged in active
practice until January, 1897, when he entered upon his duties as judge of the superior court.
In 1891 he became a partner in the firm of Dorr, Hadley & Hadley. his associates being
Charles \V. Dorr and Lin H. Hadley, the latter being his brother, with whom he had for-
merly been in partnership. This connection was maintained until Judge Hadley retired
to go upon the superior court bench. The law firm was recognized as one of the strongest
and ablest in northern Washington. During the course of the partnership Mr. Dorr was
a member of the state senate during the sessions of 1895 and 1897. He was one of Wash-
ington's strong men, his comprehensive kno'wledge of the law and his ability to accurately
apply its principles making him one of the foremost lawyers of the west. In 1900 he weAt
to San Francisco as general counsel for the Alaska Packers .'\ssociation and there remained
until Judge Hadley retired from the bench, when he came to Seattle and the old partnership
relation between them was resumed. The third member of the old firm, Lin H. Hadley,
continued the practice of law at Bellingham until 1914, when he was elected to congress
from the second district of Washington and still holds that position.

It was in 1896 that Hiram E. Hadley was elected superior judge for a term of four
years and in 1900 he was reelected. At his first election, as the nominee of the republican
party, he was opposed by one who was made the candidate of the democratic, populist and
fusionist parties. There was a revulsion of opinion in his favor during his first term, so
that in 1900 all those who opposed his nomination voted for him and he easily won the
office. He served during his second term until March, 1901, when the supreme court was
relieved of its work, the legislature passing a law giving the governor power to appoint
two more judges from the dominant political parties, which he did. Judge White was
appointed from the democratic party, while Judge Hadley was the republican appointee. In
the fall of 1902 he was nominated by the republicans as the successor of Judge Reavis and
entered upon a six years' term which began in January, 1903, and extended until January,
1909. In January, 1907, he became chief justice of the supreme court of the state and
continued in that position of honor and responsibility to the close of his term. It is
generally known by the bar of the state that Judge Hadley voluntarily retired, preferring
to resume the private practice of law. He then came to Seattle, where he entered into
partnership with his former Bellingham associate. Senator Charles W. Dorr, who is now
deceased. At the time when Judge Hadley left the supreme court bench he was also joined
by his son, Clyde M. Hadley, who had been graduated from the Washington Law School.
A year later Frederick W. Dorr, son of Charles W. Dorr, also a graduate of the law school,
was admitted to the firm after the death of his father.

On the i6th of January, 1879, «^t Bloomingdale, Indiana, Judge Hadley was married to
Miss Martha Musgrave, a daughter of John and Catherine Musgrave, who was born at
Hutsonville, Illinois. Her people resided in Indiana, where her father engaged in farming
and was also an extensive dealer in live stock. Both parents, however, are now deceased.
Judge and Mrs. Hadley have become parents of five children, to whom they have given
liberal educational opportunities. The three sons are graduates of Stanford University
and the daughters were educated in the University of Washington. The eldest son, Roy O.,
who was married in San Francisco to Miss Bertha Shaw of that city, resides on Queen
Ann Hill of Seattle and has two children, Elsie Jane and William Hiram. Roy O. Hadley
is assistant secretary of the Chamber of Commerce of Seattle. Clyde M., as previously-
stated, his father's law partner, married Edna Trueblood, of Indianapolis, Indiana, and they
reside at the Palisades on Lake Washington in Seattle. They have one daughter, Katharine
Trueblood. Earl J., who is now connected with the Evening Sun of New York, in which
city he resides, was there married to Jean Disbrow and they have a daughter, Phyllis.
Inez is well known in literary circles, devoting her time to writing. Katharine is the wife
of Bruce M. Farris, a lumber merchant of Bellingliam, Washington, and they have a
daughter, Louise.

In politics Judge Hadley has been a stalwart republican since age conferred upon him
the right of franchise. He was secretary of the Young Men's Garfield Club back in Bloom-


ington, Illinois, in the old days and he has always been a stalwart champion of party prin-
ciples. It was also while he was residing in Bloomington that he was made a Mason in i8Si.
It was because of his marked admiration for Garfield, who was a Mason, that he decided
to join the order and also because he learned that the fraternity never solicited membership.
He has proven an exemplary representative of the craft, in which he has attained the Knight
Templar degree, and he has held the position of presiding officer in all of the different
bodies with which is affiliated. He is now president of the Seattle Bar Association. He
belongs as well to the Chamber of Commerce of Seattle and to the Arctic Club, while his
religious belief is evidenced in his membership in the Presbyterian church, in which he is
serving as elder. His career reflects credit and honor upon the state which has honored
him with election to its highest judicial office. He has remained continuously a resident of
Washington for twenty-seven years, during which period he has upheld the legal and
political status of the commonwealth and contributed to the advancement of the state along
intellectual and moral lines. Never content to choose the second best in anything and
actuated at all times by high purpose and creditable ambition, he has worked as earnestly
for the benefit of his city and state as for his individual interests and, not seeking honor
but simply endeavoring to do his duty, honors have yet been multiplied to him and prosperity
has followed his undertakings.


Daniel Bertrand Trefethen, a member of the law firm of Trefethen, Grinstead &
Laube of Seattle, was born December 28, 1878, at Portsmouth, New Hampshire, his
parents being Daniel H. and Annie (Walker) Trefethen, whose ancestors settled in Maine
in 1720. He acquired a public-school education in his native city and afterward entered
Amherst College, being graduated therefrom with the degree of Bachelor of Arts as a
member of the class of 1898. Afterward he matriculated in the Harvard Law School
and received the degree of Bachelor of Laws upon graduation with the class of 1901.

On the 1st of November, 1901, Mr. Trefethen arrived in Seattle and was admitted
to practice before the Washington supreme court, the United States circuit courts and
the United States circuit court of appeals in January, 1902. He became associated in
law practice with Ira Bronson, the partnership continuing until 1908, after which he
formed a law partnership with Loren Grinstead under the firm name of Trefethen &
Grinstead, with offices at 314-319 Colman building. This relation was maintained until
July, 191 5, when William T. Laube was admitted to the partnership, and the firm occu-
pies a prominent position at the Seattle bar. Mr. Trefethen enjoys the highest respect
of the lawyers of Seattle because of his ability and his close conformity to the highest
standard of professional ethics. He is a prominent and popular member of the Seattle
Bar Association, has been a member of the board of trustees and chairman of its mem-
bership committee and at the present writing is chairman of the entertainment committee.
Aside from his connection with the bar he has important business interests, being president
of the Cannel Coal Company of Washington, president of the Loa Company and presi-
dent of the Treken Investment Company.

He has had much to do with Seattle's improvement and progress along various lines
and since 1908 has served as a member of the library board, filling that position under
the administrations of Mayors Miller, Gill, Dilling and Cotterill. At the present time
he is president of the library board and has done much to improve this public institu-
tion. His political allegiance is given the republican party, and he has served as president
of the Young Men's Republican Club of Seattle, while since 1901 he has been a participant
in every state and King county republican convention.

On the 2ist of September, 1906, in Waverly, Massachusetts, Mr. Trefethen was mar-
ried to J^Iiss Anna Gertrude Annable, whose family settled at Portsmouth, New Hamp-
shire, early in the seventeenth century. Mr. and Mrs. Trefethen have two children:
Daniel, six years of age : and Everett Annable, two years- old.

Fraternally Mr. Trefethen is well known in Masonic circles, belonging to Arcana


Lodge, No. 87, F. & A. M. He is also past commander-in-chief of Lawson Consistory
No. I, and knight commander of the court of honor, Scottish Rite Masons. He belongs
to Seattle Commandery, No. 2, K. T., and is past illustrious potentate of Nile Temple,
A. A. O. N. M. S. He is also most puissant sovereign of St. Alban's Conclave, No. 18,
of the Order of the Red Cross of Constantine. He also belongs to the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows. In club circles, too, he is prominent and popular, holding mem-
bership in the University, Rainier, College and Seattle Athletic Clubs.


Industrial activity of Seattle finds a well known representative in O. B. Williams, who is
today controlling a business of extensive proportions as a manufacturer of sash and doors.
All days in his business experience have not been equally bright, but he has never allowed
difficulties and failure to dishearten him, but with resolute spirit has recognized the fact
that each day holds its opportunity and that advancement goes hand in hand with energy,
enterprise and determination. He was born in Plymouth, Michigan, July 19, 1870, a son of
Hopkins and Emogene (Bulis) Williams. The father, a native of Wales, came to America
in early life and served as a private of the Union army in the Civil war. He died in Octo-
ber, 1914, at Plymouth, Michigan, where his widow still resides.

In the common schools of his native town O. B. Williams pursued his education and in
his youthful days worked with his father on the farm, but at the age of fourteen years he
ran away from home and spent sixteen months in the employ of another farmer. During
that period he carefully saved his earnings and was thereby enabled to reach Tacoma in
1887. His life in his business experiences has been a strenuous one, but he early learned
the eternal principle that industry wins and industry became his beacon light. After reach-
ing Tacoma he shovelled sawdust under a mill and later engaged in piling lumber. He
afterward spent a year and a half in the employ of a glazier, cutting glass and setting big
windows. Subsequently he conducted business on his own account in setting large glass
windows for the mills, in which way he made about ten dollars per day. In i88g he estab-
lished a store in Fairhaven and purchased a lot for forty-four hundred dollars, erecting
thereon a store building. The west was then in a boom era and eleven years afterward the
lot was sold for twelve dollars. In 1894-95 he engaged in placer mining in the Big Bend
country north of Revelstoke, British Columbia, and made a very decent fortune, but traveled
extensively in search of other profitable business ventures and lost much that he had. He
sold his interest in his mining claim for one hundred and fifty dollars and in 1895 came to
Seattle practically empty handed. Afterward he went to Rossland, British Columbia, and
made a fortune in the contracting business, but afterward again suffered heavy losses. He
returned to Seattle in 1902, at which time his capital consisted of one hundred and fifty dol-
lars, which he invested in a stock of sash, doors and glass and opened a store. He feared
that he had made a mistake in this venture, but put an advertisement in the newspaper, quot-
ing honest prices, and the next day sold out his entire stock. He at once restocked his
establishment and, continuing in the business of dealing in paints, glass, sash and doors, he

Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 78 of 142)