Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 79 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 79 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


prospered. The business has grown steadily and his holdings now amount to more than two
hundred thousand dollars, clear of all indebtedness, and include a three-story cement build-
ing on his own ground on First Avenue, South, with more than one acre of floor space in the
bitilding. His property also includes a big sash and door factory in South Seattle, one of
the largest in the city, covering an acre of ground. He moved into his present business
quarters at No. 1943 First Avenue, South, in July, 191 1. As the years have passed his busi-
ness has grown along substantial lines and the results have been most gratifying.

Mr. Williams was married in Seattle to Miss Hannah Totten, a daughter of Benjamin
Totten, a farmer of Ventura, California, and they have a son, Lloyd. In his political views
Mr. Williams is a republican and has been somewhat active in party politics in city elections.
He is a Mason, belonging to Arcana lodge, and in club circles he is well known, holding
membership in the Arctic, the Erlington Golf and Country, the Automobile and the Seattle
Yacht Clubs and the Chamber of Commerce. He makes his business his chief interest, how-



650 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

ever, and, while he has met conditions that would have utterly discouraged a man of less
resolute spirit, he has worked his way upward, nor has his path been strewn with the
wreck of other men's fortunes. Integrity and enterprise characterize him in all of his
industrial and commercial undertakings and his success is the merited reward of his per-
sistent, earnest labor.



LOVETT MORTIMER WOOD.

Lovett Mortimer Wood as editor of The Trade Register was the first man to impress
upon the country the position of commercial supremacy which Seattle holds in relation
to the Pacific northwest. He was widely and favorably known in business circles of the
country and in 191 1 his knowledge of commercial conditions, his power of recognizing
business opportunities and his ability to deal with people gained him the appointment by the
federal government as commercial agent with the duty of investigating trade conditions in
eastern countries with a view of securing closer business relations between the United States
and those nations. As the oriental trade is becoming more and more important to this
country the value of his work in that connection is becoming increasingly apparent. Follow-
ing his return from his trip as government agent he organized the Turner-Wood Company,
an international trading and brokerage concern, and it was while he was in Shanghai,
China, on business, that his demise occurred on the loth of January, 1914.

Mr. Wood was born February 25, 1858, at Albert, Albert county, New Brunswick,
Canada, and there grew to manhood. After attending the common schools at Albert he
entered the Mount Allison Academy at Sackville, New Brunswick, where he further pre-
pared for the practical and responsible duties of life. In early manhood he established The
Maple Leaf, a weekly newspaper, published at Albert, but eight years later was compelled
to dispose of that journal and come west on account of his health. In 1889 he located
in Seattle, which city remained his home until his demise. For a few years he worked on
the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and was later connected with the Telegraph but in January,
1893. he founded The Trade Register and in July, 1898, he established the printing business
conducted in connection with that paper and controlled both properties luitil his demise,
although during the last three years of his life other interests prevented his taking an active
part in the management of those enterprises. It has been said of him that as an editor
he was a fearless advocate of what he believed to be right and an equally fearless opponent
of that which he believed to be wrong. He did not hesitate to condemn business practices
and trade theories, however popular they might be and however powerful might be their
advocates, when he was convinced that such practices or theories were contrary to the per-
manent interests of legitimate business or the public. He held that the fundamental interests
of the public were of paramount importance at all times, and that the permanent interests
of every legitimate business factor were identical with those of the public. He earnestly
endeavored to solve trade problems on their merits as they arose in a manner that would
be fair to every business factor concerned and the general public, and he worked for har-
monious cooperation among all legitimate interests engaged in transacting the lawful business
of the community.

Mr. Wood was at all times intensely interested in the commercial and industrial expansion
of Seattle and it is recognized that The Trade Register under his editorship was the means
of first gaining country-wide recognition of the importance of Seattle as a commercial
center. He kept fully in touch with the various business and industrial concerns of this
section and was thoroughly informed as to trade conditions. In 191 1 the federal govern-
ment appointed him a commercial agent and he was sent to the orient to determine what
might be done to secure a larger trade between the eastern nations and the United States.
He made a thorough study of conditions in their relation to the manufacturers and ex-
porters of the United States and after his return to this country early in February, 1912,
he visited the principal cities of the country and addressed many commercial bodies on the
situation. He was so favorably impressed with the possibilities of trade development between
the United States and the orient that he joined W. E. Turner in the organization of the




^^^^^^HjAJ^hi^^-^



-n



\ n^^^^'^



\.-^






HISTORY OF SEATTLE 653

Turner-Wood Company, an international trading and brokerage concern. Mr. Turner
a.ssunied charge of the business in this country with headquarters in Seattle, and Mr. Wood
went to Shanghai, China, to manage the affairs of the company in the east. He left
Seattle on the 25th of February, 1913, and in less than a year thereafter, on the loth of
January, 1914, his demise occurred. Although he was not permitted to accomplish all that
he might have done in bringing about closer commercial relations between the United
States and the orient he did much along that line, and his work was especially important
in that it impressed upon other business men of this country the great opportunities for
increased trade with the east.

Mr. Wood was married in 1878 to Miss Ella E. Starrett, who survives him, as does
their daughter, Mrs. William R. Saunders. Mr. Wood was a member of St. John's Lodge,
No. 9, F. & A. M., had taken the Scottish Rite degrees and was identified with Nile Temple,
A. A. O. N. M. S., of Seattle. He was also a member of Columbia Lodge, No. 2, A. O. U. W. :
and of Seattle Council, No. 82, U. C. T. He was president of the first Press Club established
in Seattle and was one of its most loyal supporters when its members were but few and its
meetings irregular. When the Seattle Press Club grew strong enough to have a home of
its own he was made one of the first trustees of the club and continued in that office until
he was called abroad. He was also a member of the Washington State Press Association.
The breadth of his interests is further indicated by his membership in the National Geo-
graphic Society.

In all that Mr. Wood did his work was of a high order and his foresight and initiative
enabled him to accomplish a great deal in promoting the business and industrial development
of Seattle and the Puget Sound country. He was respected for what he achieved and those
who knew him personally esteemed him as well for what he was, as in all relations of life
he measured up to high standards of manhood.



ALFRED THURLOW.



Alfred Thurlow was well known as a shipbuilder of Seattle for many years. He cast
in his lot with the pioneer settlers of the city, arriving in 1872, when Seattle was yet a
village of comparatively little industrial importance. He made his way to the northwest from
Peoria, Illinois, in which state he had lived for more than two decades. He was, however,
a native of England, his birth having occurred in London in 1828. There he remained to
the age of about eighteen years, when about 1846 he crossed the Atlantic and made his
way into the interior of the country, settling at Peoria, where he engaged in the confection-
ery and fancy goods business for several years. On leaving the middle west he traveled
by rail to California and thence northward to Seattle, where he arrived on the 28th of May,
1872. He remained for two months, but as he found no business opportunities here he went
to Whatcom. Later he returned but finally settled just across from Blaine, where he con-
tinued until 1880. He engaged in boat building in that district and also conducted a hotel.
In the meantime incoming settlers were creating a change in business conditions at Seattle
and he returned to this city, where he continued in the boat-building business on his own
account for two or three years. He then formed a partnership with Walter Harmon and
together they opened a shop on the water front, where they continued until the railroad
interfered with their business. They then closed their shop, but Mr. Thurlow continued
to do work along the same line. He built many metallic life boats, also tug boats and other
craft, but at length an accident caused him to retire from active life. The last work that
he did was at Bremerton, where he occupied a position for some time.

Ere leaving Peoria Mr. Thurlow was married in 1858 to Aliss Sarah B. Whiffin, a native
of England, and they became the parents of three sons and a daughter: .'\lfred Eugene, who
is connected with the Enterprise Brass foundry of Seattle; Ernest M., of Seattle; Horace
James, also of this city; and Mable V., the wife of Walter F. Clough, also of Seattle.

The death of Mr. Thurlow occurred August 4, 1910, when he had reached the ripe old
age of eighty-two years. He attended the Congregational church and for fifty-five years was
a loyal member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He lived to see great changes



654 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

in the northwest and he had much faith in Seattle and its future, realizing that its advan-
tageous situation must eventually receive recognition and bring about an increase in trade
relations. His life was one of industry and unfaltering enterprise and he became prominently
known among those who for many years were connected with shipbuilding interests. He
possessed sterling traits of character and his salient characteristics were such as gained
for him the warm and enduring regard of those with whom he was associated.



ROWE FRANCE, M. E., M. D.

Dr. Rowe France, engaged in medical practice in Seattle, was born in Cobleskill, New
York, July ii, 1875, a son of Augustus S. and Lurena (Rowe) France. The France family
was e'stablished in America by Sebastian France (or Frantz). who was born in Wurtemburg,
Germany, in 1732, and landed in New York in 1753, there passing away in 1805. He came to
the United States with his wife, Anna Fritz, who was born in Wurtemburg in 1733, and
died in New York in 1816. Sebastian Frantz and his son Jacob, born in New York, July 17,
1760, were both soldiers in the Revolutionary war and were leading and active men of their
state, being prominently mentioned in the history of New York. The village of Frances
Corners, now Mineral Springs, was named in their honor. Christopher France, son of
Jacob France, was born in New York in 1798 and was the first inventor of implements
and a process of gumming saws. Augustus S. France, possessing much of the inventive
genius that has characterized different members of the family, became the inventor of the
wire bale tie, now marketed by the American Steel & Wire Company and found on every
bale of hay. This invention has superseded every other of like character m the world.
His wife, Lurena Rowe, was descended from General Sackett, of Sackett's Harbor, New
York on Lake Ontario. Dr. France is of the sixth generation of the France family m
America. There flows in his veins a strain of Scotch blood, being from the Hamiltons
of Scotland, and another strain from the Huguenots— these on the maternal side.

^fter acquiring his preliminary education in the public schools of New York, Dr.
France started out in the world at the age of fourteen and has since had no other home
than that which he has provided through his own efforts. He earned the funds which
enabled him to continue his education. He never borrowed money to aid him m work nor
had any given to him, but ambition prompted his efforts and he secured an educational
training that would well fit him for life's responsibilities and duties. In 1896 he was
graduated from the Marine Institute with the degree of M. E. and later prepared for
other professional activities as a student in the medical department of the University of
Vermont which conferred upon him his professional degree of M. D. m 1904. Upon
examination he was awarded certificates allowing him to practice medicine and surgery m
the states of Vermont, Massachusetts, Washington and California. By service and examina-
tion he was awarded a certificate by the United States government as chief engineer of
ocean steam vessels, unlimited; also another certificate as chief engineer, unlimited of vessels
of gas electric fluid, etc. ; and a certificate as master and pilot, limited. His early life was
devoted to marine engineering and he is now an honorary member of the Marine Engineers
Association, the Society of Marine Engineers and the Universal Craftstnan Council of
En<.ineers. His official service in connection with that profession covered duty as chief
en-ineer in the United States army transport service, chief engineer of the United States
submarine mine planter service, and engineer, officer and lieutenant in the preliminary
organization of the Washington Naval Militia. Determining however, to enter upon the
practice of medicine as a life work, he qualified for that calling, which he now follows,
being accorded an extensive practice which places him in a prominent position among the
able representatives of the profession in Seattle. He belongs to the State Medical Society,
thKng County Medical Society and the North End Medical Society and he has taken
post-graduate work in Canada and in New York. He is constantly striving to broaden
his knowledge and promote his efficiency and broad reading, study and investigation are
advanci^Wm far to the front. He has been a member of the police pension medical
boird r^^Seattle since 1914. He had previously served from 1908 until 1911 as examining



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 655

physician of the royal Italian consular service and from 1911 until 1913, inclusive, as physician
and surgeon for the United States federal prisoners of Seattle. He is also accorded a
large private practice, to which his ability well entitles him. In addition to his professional
interests he has real estate, mortgage and mining interests and his investments have been
judiciously made.

Dr. France was married in Whitehall, New York, on the 14th of March, 1899, to Miss
Katherine Agnes Mansfield, a daughter of John Mansfield, and a lineal descendant of the
Mansfield family of England. Of this union there is one daughter, Georgia A., who was
born in Seattle, February 22, 1912.

Dr. France gives his political allegiance to the republican party and belongs to the
Young Men's Republican Club of Seattle and also to the Municipal League. He is identified
with the Delta Mu, one of the fraternities of the University of Vermont, and he is a life
member of Phoenix Lodge, No. 96, A. F. & A. M., and Oriental Chapter, No. 19, R. A. M.,
of Seattle ; Seattle Commandery, No. 2, K. T, ; the United Artisans ; and the Knights of
Pythias. He is also a member of the H. A. Club, of Burlington, Vermont, and of the
Sons of the American Revolution. There is something stimulating in the history of such a
man as Dr. France, who carved out for himself the path of opportunity — a path leading to
success and distinction.



RAFAEL SARTORI.



Rafael Sartori, conducting an investment, mortgage and loan business and thus well
known in financial circles of Seattle, was born in Switzerland in 1849. His father, James
Sartori, was a contractor, who died several years ago. Rafael Sartori was the ninth in
order of birth in a family of eleven children and, reared under the parental roof, he
acquired a good education in Switzerland, pursuing a high school course there. In 1866
he arrived in California, then a youth of seventeen years, establishing his home in San
Francisco, where he embarked in the milk business. In 1872 he removed to Nevada, where
he became connected with mining interests, remaining in that state until 1878. In the latter
year he returned to California, where he engaged in farming and dairying for more than
a decade. In 1889, however, he came north to Seattle, where he turned his attention to
merchandising and also engaged in dairy farming. Later, however, he sold out and has
since figured in financial circles, conducting an investment, mortgage and loan business. He
thorouglily understands the value of commercial paper and, in fact, has familiarized himself
with every phase of the business, so that he is able to make judicious investments and place
his loans where there is certainty of little risk.

In 1877 Mr. Sartori was married in Nevada to Miss Mary Scanlon. Fraternally he is
connected with the Elks and with the Knights of Pythias and he belongs also to the Arctic
Club and the Seattle Athletic Club. In politics he is a republican, having voted the ticket
since age conferred upon him the right of franchise. He has become well known in business
circles of the city during the twenty-seven years of his residence here and at all times he
has been found reliable, progressive and trustworthy. He has never regretted his deter-
mination to come to the new world to seek his fortune, for here opportunities have unfolded
before him and with each forward step he has gained a broader outlook. He has wisely
used his time and that he is now in a creditable business position is due entirely to his own
efforts.



P. C. ELLSWORTH.



P. C. Ellsworth, banker and broker of Seattle, was born January 18, 1S46, in the state
of New York, and when he had mastered the branches of learning taught in the public
schools, he continued his education by an academic course in Auburn and in Moravia, New
York. He then entered upon the study of law in the office and under the direction of
Judge Bateman at Auburn and following a thorough course of preliminary reading he



656 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

was admitted to the bar in 1870. He afterward spent some time in mercantile pursuits,
entering upon the active practice of his chosen profession in 1873 at Benton, Iowa, where
he remained for about five years. In the fall of 1878 he removed to Nebraska, where he
continued in the practice of law until April, 1879, when, on the occasion of the mining
excitement at Leadville, Colorado, he removed to that place. He did not meet with the
success that he anticipated there, however, and soon left Leadville for Buena Vista, where
he resided for five years, being engaged in the private practice of law and also serving as
city attorney and as county attorney at Buena Vista. He was likewise associate attorney
of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad until it went into the hands of a receiver. In 1884
he left the middle west for the Pacific coast, removing to southern California. He there
became an active factor in political circles and occupied the position of judge. In June, 1889,
he arrived in Seattle and at once opened a law office in this city, where he continued to
follow his profession until 1892, when he put aside his law practice to engage in business
as a private banker and broker. He has since continued active in that field and his name
is now an honored one in financial circles in the Sound country.

On the 8th of February, 1868, at Washington, D. C, Mr. Ellsworth was married to Miss
Alice Gregory, and they became parents of two sons, one of whom, Gregory, died in 1892.
The other son was for about ten years engaged in the publication of a paper called the
Telegram at San Luis Obispo, California, and he now conducts an extensive job printing
plant at that place. He lives in the old home which was occupied by the family there before
their removal to Seattle.

Mr. Ellsworth has been a Mason since 1871 and has even been a loyal adherent of the
teachings and tenets of the craft. He became identified with the Royal Arcanum in 1888,
was connected with the Foresters for two years and with the Order of the Golden Shrine
for a year. He is ever faithful to any cause which he espouses and has become widely
recognized as a man of integrity, reliability and honor as well as of progressiveness and
enterprise in business affairs.



CHARLES H, BAMBERG.



In a history of the building interests of Seattle the name of Charles H. Bamberg
figures as one who was prominently and actively connected with the work of public building
and improvement for a long period. He came to the northwest from Saginaw, Michigan,
arriving in Seattle on the 6th of January, 1889. The family name, however, indicates his
German nativity and ancestry, but he was only a year old when the family left the fatherland
and sailed for the new world. Settlement was made in Michigan and his boyhood days
were spent in that state. The opportunities of the growing west, however, attracted him
and he arrived in Seattle a few months before the great fire which swept away the business
section of the city. The excellence of his workmanship as a builder and his knowledge of
methods of construction and the scientific principles which underlie the work won him almost
immediate recognition in a growing patronage. He erected the first government building
in the state of Washington, at Port Townsend, and in fact located that place. He also
built the Masonic Temple there during the years 1900 and 1901. For three or four years
he maintained his home at Port Townsend and then returned to Seattle. Throughout his
entire life he engaged in the contracting business and he erected various office and store
buildings in Seattle, including a number of the large structures of the city and also apartment
buildings. He was a man of undaunted energy and carried forward to successful completion
whatever he undertook, allowing no obstacles or difficulties to bar his path. If he saw
that one avenue of advancement was closed he sought out another path which would lead
him to the desired goal.

On the 14th of August, 1892, at Saginaw, Michigan, Mr. Bamberg was united in marriage
to Miss Elizabeth Dehmel, who was born in that state and continued her residence there
until 1899. She then joined her husband in the west and is now well known in Seattle, her
home being at No. 1515 East Republican street. There were two children born of that
marriage, Lottie and Helen.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE (j57

Mr. Bamberg passed away December 29, 1914, at the comparatively early age of fifty
years, and deep regret was felt at his death, for he had many friends in the northwest.
He was a prominent Mason, having taken the Knights Templar degree of the York Rite
and the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite. He joined the order at Port Townsend
and, advancing through its different branches, eventually became a Mystic Shriner, with
membership in Nile Temple. He belonged also to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks,
while in trade relations he was connected with the Builders' Association and in religious
faith with the German Lutheran church. He voted with the republican party and was ever
well versed on the questions and issues of the day. To him it was just as much a duty
to discharge the obligations of citizenship as to provide for his family. He believed in
Seattle, was willing to link his interests with hers and at all times aided in the support
of movements which would tend to promote her welfare. In his family he displayed the
attractive qualities of a loving and devoted husband and father and in social relations was
a most loyal and faithful friend.



O. CHARLES CHRISTMANN, M. D.

Dr. O. Charles Christmann, a practicing physician of Seattle, was born in Bay City,
Michigan, September 2, 1882, his parents being J. and Emma Christmann. The father, a
native of Germany, was born in 1856 and there pursued his education, after which he learned
the blacksmith's trade, which he followed in the fatherland until 1874. In that year he



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 79 of 142)