Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 80 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 80 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


crossed the Atlantic to Canada, settling in Ontario, where he engaged in blacksmithing for
three years. He afterward removed to Bay City, Michigan, where he again worked at his
trade in connection with a sawmill. He followed that pursuit until Kxxi, which year witnessed
his removal to Seattle, and in the intervening period he has conducted blacksmithing in the
employ of the Seattle, Renton & Southern Railroad, being an active representative of indus-
trial interests here.

At the usual age Dr. Christmann became a pupil in the public schools of Bay City,
Michigan, passing through consecutive grades until graduated from the high school with the
class of 1901. It was his desire to enter upon a professional career and he attended the
University of Michigan, where he studied medicine, completing the course with the class
of 1905. His high standing was indicated in his appointment to the position of interne in
the University Hospital at Ann Arbor, Michigan, and during his year's service there he
gained the broad, practical knowledge and experience which only hospital work can bring.
In 1906 he made his way to Seattle, where he has since continued in general practice,
making steady advance in a walk of life demanding strong intellectuality, keen sagacity,
sound judgment and conscientious service.

In December, 1909, Dr. Christmann was united in marriage, in Seattle, to Mrs. Mary
McAuley Gibson. They are Presbyterians in religious belief and Dr. Christmann is a
republican in his political views. Fraternally he is connected with the Loyal Order of Moose.
He prefers, however, to concentrate his attention largely upon his professional service and
in addition to .a large general practice he is now acting as examining surgeon for the Great
Northern Railroad Company and as medical examiner and physician and surgeon for the
Loyal Order of Moose.



LYMAN RALPH ANDREWS.

Lyman Ralph Andrews, the present assistant district engineer of Seattle, has been
connected with the .city engineering department since 1902 and his professional ability and the
conscientious discharge of his duties have won him the confidence of his colleagues and
superiors and of the general public. He is a native son of Seattle, his birth occurring on
the corner of Fourth and Madison streets, the present site of the Lincoln Hotel. September
14, 1870, and his parents were Lyman Beach and Jane (Rowley) Andrews. The line of



658 ■ HISTORY OF SEATTLE

ancestry is traced back to John and Mary Andrews, who emigrated from England to the
new world, settling in Connecticut in 1640. The parents of our subject removed in 1859
from New York state to the Pacific coast and located in Napa, California. The following
year the father came to Seattle and in 1861 the mother and children took up their residence
in this city. The father discovered and located the Issaquah coal mines in 1863 and
established the first real estate business in Seattle. He was well known and highly esteemed
in tlie city during the early days of its history.

Lyman R. Andrews was educated in the Seattle public schools and in the State University
of Washington. In 1892, upon leaving school, he began his engineering work and in 1893
and 1894 was deputy county surveyor of King county. He later went to San Francisco and
was connected with a printing establishment there for about three years. In 1898 he took
part in the great rush to the Klondike, but in 1899 returned to Seattle, where he has since
resided continuously. In 1902 he entered the employ of the city engineering department and
as his knowledge and ability have grown he has won promotion, being at present assistant
district engineer. He understands thoroughly the principles underlying his work and is
able to cope successfully with diiificult engineering problems. He has invested heavily in
Seattle real estate, especially in the Salmon Bay and Interbay districts, and has great faith
in the future development of the city.

On the 8th of September. 1901, Mr. Andrews was married, in Seattle, to Henrietta E.
Rehmke, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Rehmke. Her father being accidentally killed
in 1880. her mother afterward married Carl L. Beckman. Mrs. Andrews was born in this
city, of which her parents were among the pioneer settlers, and the family is well known
and highly respected. Mr. and Mrs. Andrews have two children : Helen Henrietta, eleven
years of age : and Winfield Rehmke. eight years old.

Mr. Andrews is independent in the exercise of his right of franchise and supports all
movements calculated to advance the interests of good government and to aid in adapting
our political machinery to the needs of the times. He is identified with the Pioneers
Association and also with the Native Sons and Municipal League and does all in his power
to further the development of Seattle along lines of material, moral and civic progress.



W ATKINS P. LOCKWOOD.

Watkins P. Lockwood is general agent in the west for the Minneapolis. St. Paul &
Sault Ste. :Marie Railway Company, known as the Soo Line, and is well known in railroad
circles in the northwest. His residence in Seattle dates from February, 1906. He was
born in Rome, Wisconsin, December 5, 1868, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel G. Lockwood,
who removed to Santa Maria, California, in 1873.

There Watkins P. Lockwood attended school through the succeeding decade, when in
1883 his parents took their family to Eugene. Oregon, where he continued his education
in the public schools until 1886, when he left the high school to become a factor in business
life. During the succeeding three years he devoted his energies to farming, after which
he went to Spokane, where he engaged in the real estate business until 1890. That year
witnessed his removal to Cottage Grove, Oregon, where he conducted a real estate business
for a year. He was afterward one of the organizers of the Commercial Bank of Cottage
Grove and was elected its cashier, in which capacity he largely directed the policy and
activities of the bank until the fall of 1893, when he sold his interest and turned his atten-
tion to the real estate business and to merchandising, his time being devoted to those pur-
suits until 1897, when he disposed of his interests at Cottage Grove and went to Spokane.
There he became cashier for the Spokane Falls & Northern Railroad Company, which
was absorbed by the Great Northern Railroad Company, and soon afterward he became
agent for that company at Nelson. British Columbia, where he continue.d for three months.
He was next appointed traveling freight and passenger agent for the same company, with
headquarters at Vancouver, British Columbia, and filled that position until February i, 1903,
when he resigned, accepting a similar position with the Wisconsin Central Railroad Com-
pany at Tacoma, Washington. On the 1st of Februarj', 1906, he was advanced to the posi-




WATKIXS P. LOCKWOOD






.-.••'-■-''' ,.>



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 661

tion of commercial agent for the same road with headquarters in Seattle, and on the ist
of April, 1909, the Soo Line absorbed the Wisconsin Central and appointed Mr. Lockwood
to the responsible position of general agent for tlie west. He is now acting in that capacity,
making a splendid record as an official of marked executive ability, capable of a wise
administration of the affairs of the road. The Soo Line has grown faster and extended
its line more than any railroad in the United States in the last eight years, now operating
nearly five thousand miles. Its lines extend from Chicago, Milwaukee, Manitowoc and
Sault Ste. Marie through northern Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Xorth and South
Dakota and during the last two years the company has been engaged on the construction
of a line west as far as Whitetail, Montana. Mr. Lockwood's position, therefore, is one of
constantly growing responsibility, but he has been found equal to every occasion and to
every demand made upon him.

On the 5th of June, igio, in Seattle, was celebrated the marriage of W. P. Lockwood
and Miss Frances A. Gillan and in this city they have many warm friends. Mr. Lockwood
is a republican in his political views. He is a Scottish Rite Mason and is the supreme
senior of the Hoc Hoo's. He is also a charter member of the Arctic Club, a member of
the Metropolitan Lumbermen's Club and is past president of tlie Transportation Club.
There are those who look to him for leadership along many lines, for he is farsightcd.
resourceful and public-spirited, and while he makes the interests of his position his chief
concern, he yet finds time and opportunity to cooperate in movements relative to the welfare
and progress of Seattle along material and social lines.



CALVIN CLARENCE SHAW.

Calvin Clarence Shaw is today the pioneer in his field of business in Seattle, where he
located as the second manufacturer in his line, conducting a business that is now carried
on under the name of the Shaw Show Case Company. He was born in Des Moines, Iowa.
October 7, 1869. His paternal grandfather, who was the founder of the American branch
of the family, was of Scotch birth and his wife was a German. His father, Nicholas Shaw,
was a native of Indiana, but removed to the Hawkeye state about 1865, following the close
of the Civil war. For many years he followed farming but is now living retired in Denver,
Colorado. He married Eliza Yeamon, a native of Indiana, who passed away in 1884. In
the family were five sons and two daughters.

Calvin Clarence Shaw, the third in order of birth, supplemented a public school edu-
cation acquired in Polk county, Iowa, by a course in a business college at Des Moines. His
youth to the age of sixteen years was spent upon the home farm with the usual experiences
that fall to the lot of the farm lad, and when he started out independently he began learning
the carpenter's trade. Later he served an apprenticeship at cabinetmaking and afterward
took up the study of architectural drawing and designing. He followed cabinetmaking and
furniture manufacturing in Des Moines to the age of thirty years, during which period he
saved his earnings and then came to the west to try his fortune in the Sound country. He
arrived in Seattle on the ist of January, 1901, and immediately established his present
business, which he conducts under the name of the Shaw Show Case Company. There was
only one undertaking of the kind in the city at that time and that house has now passed
out of existence, leaving Mr. Shaw the pioneer in this field. Moreover, he is conducting the
most enterprising business of the kind in Seattle and his trade extends to many neighboring
cities and into Canada. One of the largest shipments of store fixtures and show cases
which he has made was to Henry Birks & Son, jewelers, of Vancouver, this being one of
the largest shipments of the kind ever produced in the Pacific northwest. The firm has
the largest jewelry store in the northwest and one of the largest on the -American continent.
This store and its fixtures were designed by H. B. Pearce, the leading designer of fixtures
of this kind in Seattle. The Shaw company also completed the equipment for the O. B.
Allen Jewelry Company of Vancouver and for other leading stores in that section. The
factory rovers ten thousand square feet and employment is furnished to thirty men. The

Vol. 111—29



662 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

business is now a large and growing one, constituting one of the chief industrial enterprises
of the city.

In his fraternal relations Air. Sliaw is a Alason and has attained the Knights Templar
degree, while he is also a Alystic Shriner of Seattle. In politics he gives his support to the
republican party where national issues are involved, but casts an independent local ballot.
His religious faith is that of the Methodist church. Mr. Shaw has not only been the
architect and builder of his own fortune but for many years gave financial assistance to
his people. Gradually, however, he has worked his way upward and has gained a creditable
place among the resourceful business men, now financially strong, in this city. He is an
enthusiastic supporter of the northwest and its opportunities and in all relations is actuated
by a public spirited devotion to the general good.



HON. JOHN F. VAN DE VANTER.

Hon. John F. Van de Vanter became a resident of Washington in 1887. He was
born in Penn township, Delaware county, Ohio, in May, 1819, and the family is recorded
as among the settlers enumerated in the first census taken in Huntingdon county. Penn-
sylvania, in 1790, in which year Peter Van Deventer (as the name was then written) was
named as the head of a family of five sons and two daughters. He was the grandfather
of John F. Van de Vanter and one of the early settlers on the Juniata river, liaving
removed to that locality from New Jersey. Although too old to serve in the Revolu-
tionary war he was an ardent patriot. He married Margaret Miller and they became the
parents of eleven children, of whom the second, Jacob, was born in Huntingdon county,
Pennsylvania, and followed farming throughout his life. In 1831 he removed to Indiana,
at which time the state was largely inhabited by Indians. He became an influential factor
in the public life of his community and was one of the commissioners who erected the
courthouse of Lagrange county at a cost of two hundred thousand dollars, his name being
inscribed in that building. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Lydia Fee, was a
daughter of John and Patience (Kelly) Fee, of Huntingdon, Pennsylvania. The former
was a loyal soldier of the American army in the Revolutionary war and liis widow was
afterwards granted a pension. His name is also on the census report of Huntingdon
county of 1790. After the death of his first wife he married Jane Jackson. His previous
military service as a soldier of the Revolutionary war made him a valued fighter in the
early Indian wars of his adopted state.

John F. Van de Vanter, the son of Jacob Van de Vanter, was educated in the district
schools and in a branch of the University of Michigan. He devoted two or three years
in early manhood to school teaching and afterward followed farming in both Indiana and
Michigan, becoming a resident of the latter state in 1857. There he resided for twenty
years and became prominent in political affairs, being called to serve in various public
offices, the duties of which he discharged with promptness and fidelity. He acted as
justice of the peace and superintendent of the poor and his early political allegiance was
given to the whig party but later he stanchly advocated the cause of abolition and when
the republican party was formed to prevent the further extension of slavery into the
north he joined its ranks. In 1887 he came to the northwest, settling on a farm in the
White River valley of Washington, but after two years he retired from active life and
established his home in Kent.

It was at Greenfield Mills, in Lagrange county, Indiana, on the 25th of April, 1842,
that John F. Van de Vanter married Elizabeth Dayton Thompson, a daughter of Aaron
Thompson, a farmer of the Hoosier state. They became the parents of four children:
William D., now of Chicago; Edward, who is engaged in the real estate business in
Seattle: Aaron T., who passed away September 16, 1907; and Lizzie, the wife of W. W.
Watson, of Kent. In 1892 the parents celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary, on
which occasion thefe were present three of their children and many friends and rela-
tives. In February, 1898, Mrs. Van de Vanter was called to the home beyond and in
her death the family lost a devoted wife and mother and the community an earnest



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 663

Christian woman. Mr. Van de Vanter belonged to the Masonic lodge at Kent and also
took the Royal Arch degrees. He likewise held membership in the Presbyterian church
there, served as one of its elders and represented the church of Puget Sound at the
general assembly at Saratoga Springs in 1896. His life was ever the expression of high
and honorable principles and won for him the goodwill and confidence of all to the day
of his death, which occurred in 1908.



EDWARD VAN DE VAXTER, M. D.

Dr. Edward Van de Vanter. engaged in the practice of medicine in the White River
valley for many years but now retired from the profession, his attention being devoted
to the real estate business in Seattle, was born in Union Mills, Lagrange county. Indiana,
a son of John F. and Elizabeth D. Van de Vanter, mentioned elsewhere in this work.
His father was a brother of Isaac Van de Vanter, the father of Willis Van de Vanter,
associate justice of the United States supreme court.

Dr. Van de Vanter acquired his literary education in tlie higli school at Ann Arbor,
Michigan, and in the Micliigan State University. His professional training was received
in the University of Michigan and in the Atlanta Medical College at Atlanta, Georgia,
from which he was graduated with the class of 1882. He located for active practice at
Three Oaks, Michigan, where he remained for eighteen months, and then came to the west,
settling in White River valley, where he engaged in the practice of his profession. He
won prominence and success along that line, being accorded a very liberal practice. He
was also an extensive grower of hops during the time that industry was at its height
in the White River valley. He cleared and brought under cultivation over two hundred
acres of rich valley land, most of which he has sold off in small tracts. He is also quite
heavily interested in fruit raising in the Yakima valley. He opened a real estate office in
Seattle in 1913 and is now devoting his attention to the management of his property inter-
ests and in the sale of real estate he is meeting with excellent success.

On the l6th of August, 1884. -at White River, Dr. Van de Vanter was married to
Miss Annie Adair Ockford, a daughter of Cornelius and Julia A. Ockford, and to them
have been born five children, Louise, Rachel, Constance. Edward and .•\aron T.

Dr. Van de Vanter is a republican in his political views and has always taken an
active interest in politics since age conferred upon him the right of franchise. He was
justice of the peace in the White River precinct for twenty-five years, during which time
he used his best efforts and with much success to persuade the contending parties who
brought their cases before him to come to an amicable settlement of their differences with-
out resorting to litigation. He has also done effective work for the upbuilding of the
educational and material interests of the community in which he lives and his labors
have been attended with far reaching and beneficial results.



AARON T. VAN DE VANTER.

Aaron T. Van de Vanter was one of the prominent and representative citizens of
Seattle during his lifetime. Born and reared in the middle w-est, he attended the public
schools and spent his boyhood days on his father's farm, where he remained until 1883.
Arriving in Washington in that year, he purchased land in the White River valley, estab-
lishing his home in Kent. He was very successful in farming and dairying and in raising
fine horses and at the time of his demise was the owner of many valuable horses which
had made notable records on the track. In 1901 he became one of the incorporators of
the King County Fair Association, at the exhibits of which there were represented one
hundred and ten classes of manufacturers beside the mineral and fisliing industries and
all of the various departments of agriculture and horticulture. His efforts in that
respect certainly were productive of excellent results. Mr. Van de Vanter was a partner



664 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

of James F. McElroy in purchasing and subdividing three hundred acres of the old Page
farm at Black River Junction into five acre tracts.

On the 24th of June, 1900, was celebrated his marriage, at Kent, to Miss Martha
May Triplett, a daughter of F. A. Triplett, of that place. He was identified with various
fraternal and social organizations, including the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the
United Workmen, Knights of Pythias, Woodmen of the World, Royal Arcanum and
Seattle Lodge, No. 92, B. P. O. E., of which he was a life member. He was also prominent
in Masonry as a Knight Templar and he held membership in Afifi Temple of the Mystic
Shrine at Tacoma. Politically he was a stalwart republican, served as mayor of Kent
and was elected by his party to the state senate, serving for two terms and acting as
chairman of the committee on appropriations. Before the expiration of his term he was
nominated for sheriff but was defeated. Later, however, he was elected to that office
although only two republicans were victorious in that election and after an intervening
period of two years he was reelected. He was the president of the first live-stock board
of the state and in various ways he contributed to public progress and advancement.



STEPHEN BERG.



Stephen Berg has won distinction as a prominent factor in the mammoth building
operations of Seattle during the past few years, a period marked by an entire revolution
in the style of architecture. He entered upon his varied duties with admirable equipment,
having learned the carpenter's trade in Norway and gaining broad practical experience
ere starting business for himself in the northwest, where he has carried out his projects
with such industry that within the last five years he is credited with the erection of
one hundred and twenty-five buildings.

Mr. Berg is a native of Norway, his birth having occurred in Trondhjem, March 17,
1887. He was educated in public and private schools of his native country, while spending
his boyhood days under the parental roof. His father. Christian Berg, spent his entire
life in the land of the midnight sun, there passing away at the age of forty years, while
the mother died at the age of forty-three. The latter, Mrs. Anna Berg, was also a native
of Norway.

Stephen Berg was a young man of eighteen years when in 1905 he arrived in Boston,
Massachusetts. He had learned the building trade in his native country under the direc-
tion of his father, who devoted his life to the building business. He secured work at
his trade in Boston but remained there only a brief period, after which he removed to
Seattle in 1905 and here worked at his trade in the employ of others for some time. He
entered business on his own account in 1909, since which time there have been constant
demands upon his energy in the erection of the many homes that have come into existence
through his efforts. He has built and sold over one hundred and twenty-five residences,
among his purchasers being many government employes. He was also the builder of
the residence of E. E. Davis, contractor for the steel construction of the L. C. Smith
building, the residence of Fred Wagner, editor of the auto department of the Seattle
Daily Times, and many other homes which form the principal ornaments of their respec-
tive neighborhoods, pleasing to the eye and constructed with a conscientious regard for
real utility and the comfort and health of their inmates. He has not only been a large
contributor to the wealth of the city through the erection of much valuable property,
but aside from his personal activities has afforded public service of far-reaching and
enduring value. His efforts have resulted in an advance in real estate in the different
sections where he has operated, unsightly vacancies being occupied by attractive edifices.
His work as a contractor has met with cordial and general appreciation.

In 1910 Mr. Berg was married to Miss Rachel Tjentland, who was born in Stavanger.
Norway, and they have two children, a son and daughter: Arnold, born May 21, 191 1;
and Lillian, November 12, 1912. Mrs. Berg came to the United States in 1904.

In his political views Mr. Berg is a republican, supporting the party since receiving
his naturalization papers in 1913. He belongs to the Lutheran church and also holds



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 665

membership in the Seattle Real Estate Association and Leif Erikson Lodge, No. i. Tlie
success which has come to him has been won since his arrival in the new world and his
holdings are principally improved and unimproved real estate. He believes that tile city
offers a field for profitable investment and as his operations in the field of contracting
bring him success he adds to his property holdings. He is a typical young business
man of the present age, alert and enterprising, and his career has been marked by steady
progress.



HEMAN C. PETTIT.



Heman C. Pcttit is a Seattle capitalist wlio has found that real estate is a safe



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 80 of 142)