Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 83 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 83 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Nova Scotia, January 15, 1872, a son of John and Miriam M. (CoUett) Gould. His father,
a general contractor, lumberman and farmer, and also his paternal grandfather, were natives
of Nova Scotia. His mother was born in England, of an old family of that country.

Mr. Gould received a public school education in Nova Scotia and Boston, Massachusetts,
also pursuing private studies in architecture under professors of the Massachusetts Insti-
tute of Technology. His first employment was in connection with the enterprises of his
elder brothers in the contracting and building business in Boston. At the age of twenty-two
he embarked in that city independently in professional work. He continued there twelve
years, gaining marked reputation and success. During that period he executed the designs
for many public and private buildings, including the Women's Prison on Deer Island, Boston
Harbor, the Phillips Brooks school, the Benjamin Gushing school and the city stables for
the city of Boston ; the Dudley Club at Roxbury, and the Women's Club at Dorchester,
Boston, Massachusetts.

Removing to Seattle in 1904, Mr. Gould continued his individual practice here until
igoo, designing, among other structures, the American Bank and Empire buildings, tlie
Standard Furniture Company's store building, the Georgian Hotel, etc. From June i, 1909,
a partnership with E. Frere Champney under the firm style of Gould & Cham])ney existed
for two years, during which period the Young Women's Christian Association building.
New Richmond Hotel and Seattle Electric Company's building were designed. Since dis-




A. WARREX GOULD



■.AX






HISTORY OF SEATTLE 683

solving this partnership Mr. Gould has received many additional commissions, chief among
which is the new King County courthouse. He originated and by his active and persever-
ing efforts was chiefly instrumental in bringing to success the very notable measure of city
policy known as the "Municipal Plans" idea, resulting in the adoption of the necessary
charter amendment and the creation of the municipal plans commission. In a letter
addressed to the Seattle Chamber of Commerce early in January, 1909, he made the first
definite proposal on this subject. "I wish to bring to your attention," he wrote, "the
desirability and the urgent need for a comprehensive plan for the development of our city.
There have been petitions filed with the city council asking for franchises to construct
tunnels and subways, which franchises should not be granted until a full and complete study
by competent experts has been made and a plan prepared. And this gives rise to the many
other questions of city planning that have for a number of years been agitated by our
citizens, namely : playgrounds, civic center, harbor front improvement, boulevards, etc.
Up-to-date and progressive cities all over our country, as well as cities of the old world,
have been engaged in (and many have already succeeded in adopting) making complete
and comprehensive plans for tlieir future development. In many instances in old cities
costly readjustment of improvements of the past have to be made to procure reasonable
results, which would readily have been avoided had such a plan as I am advocating been
adopted early in their upbuilding." The suggestion being favorably received by the Cham-
ber of Commerce, Mr. Gould delivered an address at a meeting called by that body, in which
he carefully outlined his idea, submitting diagrams and drawings which he had prepared
bearing on certain phases of the matter. The movement was approved by the citizens gen-
erally, a charter amendment for the creation of a municipal plans commission of twenty-one
members was passed by the council, and on the 8th of March, 1910, at the city election
this amendment was ratified by the people. Wlicn the project for a new county building
was under discussion in the fall of 1909, involving the proposal that a combination structure
should be erected with offices to let, he opposed that plan, setting forth objections in an
able communication to the Chamber of Commerce, and it was soon afterward abandoned.
He served as one of the members appointed by the Chamber on the special committee on
courthouse site.

Mr. Gould is a member of the Rainier Club, Seattle Golf and Country Club and Seattle
Commercial Club. He also belongs to the Masonic fraternity. He married, December 25,
1892, at Camden, Maine, Susie A. Arey.



IVAN LANSDALE HYLAND.

Ivan Lansdale Hyland, member of the firm of Tucker & Hyland, attorneys of Seattle,
was born at Port Townsend, Washington, April 9, 1872, a son of the Rev. P. Edward
and Mary A. (French) Hyland. The father was the first Episcopal clergyman in the
Pacific northwest, arriving in Portland, Oregon, in 1858. After 1862 he was stationed
at Olympia, his parish extending from there to Victoria, British Columbia. He remained
in the work in this country until 1876, when he returned to the east, hut again came
to Washington in 1889, both he and his wife continuing residents of this state until
called to their final rest. The death of the Rev. P. Edward Hyland occurred in October,
1909, while his wife passed away in 1906.

Ivan L. Hyland pursued his early education in the public schools of Ontario, Canada,
and was graduated in 1891 from the Strathroy Leigh Institute at the head of his class.
From there he went to the University of Toronto, where he was graduated in 1895 with
the degree of Bachelor of Arts. During the final year he was president of his class in
the University of Toronto and on the day of his graduation he left that city for Seattle.
On the 23d of June of the same year he entered the office of Blaine & De Vries to study
law and was admitted to practice on the 15th of October, 1896. He immediately entered
upon the active work of the profession in this city and about January i, 1908, entered into
partnership with Wilmon Tucker, the association having since been continued under the
firm style of Tucker & Hyland, covering a period of more than seven years. They are



684 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

accorded a liberal and distinctively representative clientage and are regarded as strong
and able members of the bar.

At Seattle, on the 27th of June, 1900, Mr. Hyland was married to Miss Helen Holmes,
a daughter of H. E. and Kate T. Holmes. Her father is a pioneer druggist of the
northwest, a member of the firm of Stewart & Holmes, who in 1872 came to Washington,
taking up his residence in Walla Walla. He carried on business there until about 1888,
when he removed to Seattle. His daughter Helen was born at Walla Walla and by her
marriage she has become the mother of three children, Edward Holmes, Marianne French
and Kate Louise.

The parents are communicants of St. Mark's Episcopal church and !Mr. Hyland
is serving as a member of its vestry. In politics he has always been a republican since
age conferred upon him the right of franchise and in 1899 he was city attorney of the
city of Ballard, where he also served as president of the school board. He is well known
in Masonic circles, belonging to Arcana Lodge, No. 87, F. & A. M., and to Lawson Con-
sistory of the Scottish Rite. At the present time he is senior warden of Washington
Lodge of Perfection, No. i, and is chancellor of the Council of Kadosh. He is also high
priest and prophet of the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He
likewise belongs to the Arctic Club, the Canadian Club and the Seattle Yacht Club and
these different associations indicate much of the nature of his interests and the rules
which govern his conduct in his relations with his fellow men.



FRANKLIN ROBERTS.



Franklin Roberts, a prominent painting contractor of Seattle, conducting business
under the name of the Standard Paint Company, was born in Chicago, Illinois, December
18, 1854, a son of William Roberts, a native of England, who in 1842 came to America,
first settling at Charleston, South Carolina. A decade later he removed to Chicago,
taking up his abode there in 1852 and becoming a well known boot and shoe merchant
of that city, successfully conducting his business enterprise. He was also an active figure
in political circles there, served as one of the aldennen of the city and was a warm per-
sonal friend of Governor John L. Beveridge, John C. Haines, John Wentworth, Senator
Charles B. Farwell and many other of the most distinguished and honored residents of
that city. At the time of the Civil war Mr. Roberts joined the army as a member of an
Illinois regiment and participated in the movement against Morgan's raids in Kentucky
and in other engagements in that section. He died in Chicago in 1878, at the age of si.xty-
four years. His wife, who in her maidenhood was Ann Finnigan, was born in Shrop-
shire, England, and by her marriage became the mother of nine children, of whom Frank-
lin Roberts was the sixth in order of birth. Three of the children were born in England
ere the parents sailed from that land to the new world. Mrs. Roberts also passed away in
Chicago, her death occurring in 1867 when she was forty-five years of age.

After attending the pitblic schools of his native city to the age of fifteen years,
Franklin Roberts started out to earn his own living and has since depended entirely upon
his own efforts. He was early apprenticed to the painter's trade, which he followed as a
journeyman for a number of years. On the nth of July, 1883, he arrived in .Seattle
and almost immediately secured a contract (his first) to paint the Bailey Gatzert resi-
dence at the corner of Third and Cherry streets. His second contract was for painting
the Bells Hotel, then a very prominent hostelry. Since his arrival in the nortlnvest he
has continued successfully in the painting contracting business and he and C. H. Dalham
are today the oldest contractors in their line in Seattle. In 1898 Mr. Roberts organized
his business under the name of the Standard Paint Company, of which he is the sole
proprietor. Under that style he has since continued in contracting work and employs from
four to six skilled workmen throughout the year.

Mr. Roberts also has a brother who is one of the old residents of Seattle, A. Roberts,
who is a skilled painter, and a sister, Mrs. T. S. Couch, whose husband is holding an
official position in King county. They are very prominent people socially and otherwise.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 685

Mrs. Couch has a married daughter, Mrs. T. A. Kurtz, whom her uncle, Franklin Roberts,
regards with all the affection and love of a parent.

In his political views Mr. Roberts is an earnest republican but has never sought nor
filled office, preferring that his public service shall be done as a private citizen. He took
an active part in the Chinese riots and he has ever fearlessly stood for law and order
and for all those measures and movements which he deems of benefit to the community.
He was a member of Company D, National Guard of Washington, at the time the Chinese
riots occurred and for three years was identified with that military organization. His
religious belief is indicated in his membership in the Episcopal church and along business
lines he has connection with the Master Painters Association. He was also a charter
member of the Seattle Turnverein and he recalls with much pleasure the enjoyment of
social affairs in which he participated in the good old days of yore. For almost a third
cf a century he has been a resident of Seattle, witnessing the greater part of its growth
and progress and at all times maintains a position among its reliable business men and
progressive citizens.



GEORGE W. SAMPSON.



For a considerable period George W. Sampson was engaged in the practice of law in
Seattle. He was also one of the most active and helpful factors in all of those larger
undertakings which have contributed to the present greatness and have made certain
the continued supremacy of the city. His life was ever characterized by loyalty to duty
and his public-spirited citizenship found expression in many movements for the public
good. A native of Massachusetts, he was born March 25, 1864, at the historic old town
of Lexington, where was fired the first shot of the Revolutionary war. There he pursued
his education and was graduated from the high school when sixteen years of age, having
displayed special aptitude in his studies. Starting out upon his business career, he spent
nine years with the freight department of the Chicago & Alton Railroad at Boston and
while there residing his ability and public spirit led to his selection for public office. He
was chosen for a number of posts of honor and trust and continued active in the public
life of his city until coming to the west, having served as selectman, as lil)rary trustee, as
overseer of the poor and as member of the school board.

It was the condition of his health that caused him to remove to the Pacific coast.
Following his arrival he took up the study of law and was admitted to the bar, after
which he formed a partnership with Edward Judd under the firm style of Judd & Sampson
and continued in the practice of the profession until his death. In this as in other relations
of life he manifested the same thoroughness, preparing his cases most carefully and
presenting his cause in a clear and forcil)le manner so that he won many verdicts favorable
to the interests of his clients. His practice constantly grew in volume and in importance
and his devotion to his clients' interests was proverbial.

On the 26th of December, 1892, Mr. Sampson was married, in Lunenburg, ]Massa-
chusetts, to Miss Anna A. Kilburn, a daughter of David Nelson Kilburn, who came to
Seattle from Lunenburg in 1892. He was born in that city and at the age of twenty-three
years he enlisted for service in the Civil war as a member of the Twenty-third Regiment
of Massachusetts Infantry, with which he continued throughout the period of hostilities,
taking part in many hotly contested engageinents. He married Ellen Augusta Stahl and
they became the parents of three children, of whom two are now living: Fred William
Kilburn, a resident of Kirkland ; and Mrs. Sampson. After removing to the west Mr. Kil-
burn lived retired save that he held the office of bailiff and did other work at the court-
house, passing away in 1907, at the age of sixty-nine years.

Mr. and Mrs. Sampson became the parents of two children : Grace S., now the wife
of George M. McDermott ; and George K., who is on the boat Jefferson, running out of
Seattle. Mr. Sampson had a very wide acquaintance in Seattle and was active in all things
pertaining to the welfare and upbuilding of the city. He stood at all times for progress
and improvement, not only for the community but for the individual, and one of his



686 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

marked characteristics was that he saw good in all people. He helieved that if the right
chord were touched it would result in uplift and henefit and he was constantly extending
a helping hand to someone traveling on life's journey.



SIMEON T. TOBY.



Simeon T. Toby is honored and respected by all as a successful man whose business
advancement has been won by methods that neither seek nor require disguise and at the
present time he occupies the position of president of the Rainier Valley State Bank. A son
of Edward and Mattie Toby, he was born in New Orleans, Louisiana, October 29, 1857, and
after attending a private school in the acquirement of the preliminary branches of learn-
ing he entered the Sewanee Military Institute at Sewanee, Tennessee, from which he
was graduated at the age of nineteen years. He afterward went to Chicago and sold
law books for six months, at the end of which time he made his way to New York
city, where he was employed as a salesman in a stationery store for a year. Still later
he removed to New Orleans. Louisiana, where he took charge of a grocery store, con-
ducting it for two years. At the end of that time he went to Georgetown, New Mexico,
where he worked in the mines, and later drove cattle upon the range until 1880, when he
opened a retail meat market and bakery. A year and a half later, however, he disposed
of that business and went to San Francisco, where he engaged in the sale of sewing
machines for a few months. Later at El Paso, Texas, he worked as a laborer on the Texas
Pacific Railroad but was advanced to the engineering corps, with which he was associated
until 1883, when he went to Fort Worth, Texas. He was connected with the drafting-
department of the same company for a few months and for two months was correspondent
for the Louisiana Lottery. At Laredo, Mexico, he became connected with the engineering
corps of the Gould Railroad system and also acted as assistant paymaster for a year,
after which he operated a ferry on the Rio Grande river for six months.

Still later Mr. Toby was connected with the operating department of the International
Railroad at Laredo, Texas, and also utilized a few teams for delivering freight to mer-
chants. When another half year had passed in that connection he accepted the position
of manager of the Sanders Brothers grain elevator, of which he had charge for two
years, when he went to Butte, Montana, and engaged as cashier and bookkeeper with the
Butte Daily Miner, a newspaper, with which he was associated for two years. As a repre-
sentative of that paper he was sent to Alaska to write up the country and after a month
there spent came to Seattle, where for nine months he was engaged in the grain and
produce business on his own account. He then sold out and made his way 'to Coeur
d'Alene, Idaho, and to Colville, Washington, where he spent a few months in prospecting
and then entered the drafting department of the Northern Pacific Railroad Company at
Spokane. Later he was transferred to Tacoma, Washington, where his work was that
of making maps in the land office of the Northern Pacific Railroad until 1888, when he
traveled through Oregon, Washington, Montana, Idaho and North Dakota, introducing
a system for collecting accounts. In 1889, however, he returned to Seattle, where he
became bookkeeper and salesman with the Northwestern Cracker Company, which he
represented until 1895, when he resigned and accepted the position of bookkeeper and
credit manager with the Schwabacher Hardware Company, of which he became a stock-
holder. On resigning that office he went to Alaska, where he prospected for three
months. He afterward returned to Seattle and on the loth of December, 1909, established
the S. T. Toby Bank at Columbia, Washington, and in April. 1910, further continued his
efforts in the banking field by opening the Valley State Bank at Georgetown. When
Georgetown was annexed to Seattle in May, 1910, he transferred his charter to his private
bank in Columbia and named it the Rainier Valley State Bank, of which he continues as
the president. This institution is capitalized for twenty-five thousand dollars and is build-
ing up a substantial business.

Mr. Toby married Miss Cora Carpenter, of Seattle. He has a son, Thomas S. Toby,
who is associated with his father in business, holding the office of assistant cashier of the



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 687

Rainier Valley State Bank. He married Miss Elizabeth Anderson, and they have a daugh-
ter, Elizabeth.

Mr. Toby is connected with the Woodmen of the World, was identified with the
United Workmen for twenty years and has also been alfiliated with the Masonic blue lodge.
His political allegiance is given to the republican party. He has seen much of the coun-
try as he has traveled from place to place and has had many interesting experiences which
have enriched his life and brought to him a wide fund pi interesting anecdotes. He is
now concentrating his efforts upon his banking business, which is enjoying a substantial
growth. He has been very active in the development of the Rainier valley district and
is now president of the Rainier Valley Commercial Club.



EMANUEL MYER.



Emanuel Myer, a highly esteemed resident of Seattle who has been engaged in the
hotel business for a number of years, has lived in the city since 1881 and has found much
enjoyment in watching the continual growth of the city during the intervening years. He
was born in Thalfang, Rhein Province, Germany, a son of Leopold and Clara Myer, and
received his education in the common schools of Germany, remaining in his native land
until July, 1865, when he emigrated to the new world, locating in New York. He resided
there and in Canada for about three years, but on the gth of August, 1868, sailed from
New York, having determined to try his fortune in California. He went by way of the
Isthmus and arrived at his destination on the 2d of September. He engaged in different
lines of business and for about thirteen years resided in the Golden state, but in 1881
removed to Seattle, arriving here on the 28th of December, He has since resided here,
with the exception of the time that he has spent in Alaska, to wliich place he has made
several trips. When he first started out in business for himself lie followed mercantile
pursuits, dealing in men's furnishings and hats. Later he turned his attention to the res-
taurant business and for a number of years has been in the hotel business, in which he
has met with gratifying success.

Mr. Myer is an ardent republican but lias never aspired to public office, being con-
tent to perform his civic duties as a private citizen. Since about 1874 he has been identi-
fied with the Order of Bnai Brith. .Although not one of the early pioneers who, through
much hard toil and privations, laid the foundation for the present greatness of Seattle,
Mr. Myer has witnessed a remarkable transformation in the city. When he arrived here in
December, 1881, it was nothing but a village, a mere trading post upon the Sound, and
today it is the commercial center of the northwest and is growing by leaps and bounds.
Thirty-four years ago the chief means of illumination was lanterns, although there were
better lights on a very few blocks. Almost all goods were delivered by wheelbarrow
and the stores of that day were of the type usually seen in small country towns. The
business at the postoffice was handled by a postmaster and one assistant. Mr. Myer has
taken great pleasure in watching the growth and development of Seattle and has done
all in his power to further the advancement of the city. He is generous in his praise of
the work of the first settlers, realizing that all who have followed them owe much to
their courage and unremitting labor. Although he is very unassuming, his genuine worth
has made itself felt, and his ready appreciation of the good in others has gained him the
warm friendship of many.



ARCHIBALD W. FRATER.

Prominent on the list of lawyers and jurists of Seattle, whose names add signal dignity
and honor to the records of the state bar, is Archibald W. Prater, judge of the superior
court. He is a native of Belmont county, Ohio, and is of Scotch descent. Early representa-
tives of the name in America settled in West Virginia near the Ohio line. On leaving Oliio,



688 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Archibald W. Frater became a resident of Crow Wing county, Minnesota, where he practiced
law for five and a half years. He then made his way to Kansas, where he engaged in
practice and where he was for nearly two years interested in the Bank of Webster, after
which he came to Washington, May I, 1888. He lived in Tacoma one year and then removed
to Snohomish, where he continued in law practice for some time and in i8gi was elected to
the state legislature from that district. He became a resident of Seattle on the ist of
April, 1898, and his ability in his profession led to his election for the office of judge of the
superior court. He has been a prominent figure in both local and state political circles in
Minnesota and in Washington, recognized as one of the leaders in republican ranks. He
belongs to the University Congregational church of Seattle, in which he is serving as deacon
and his influence is ever on the side of progress and uplift, his efforts being an effective force
for the benefit of his community along material, intellectual, political and moral lines. He
married Emma Brooks, a native of Seneca county, Ohio, and a daughter of William and
Hannah Brooks, who became early settlers of that state. The father was a Civil war
veteran and was a representative of an old New England family of English extraction.

The marriage of Judge and Mrs. Frater was celebrated near Mount Gilead, Ohio, on
the 29th of June, 1881, and they became the parents of three children: Ralph P., who was



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 83 of 142)