Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 84 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 84 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


born June 15, 1882, and is now deceased; John A., and Helen, who was born in Snohomish,
January 20, 1890, and is the wife of Charles R. Lewis, superintendent of schools of Kent,
Washington.

The family is one of prominence in Seattle, Judge Frater occupying a position of
distinction at the bar and in other connections. He is one of the best known Masons of
the state, is a Knight Templar, has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite and
is a past grand master of the Grand Lodge of Washington and past grand patron of the
Order of the Eastern Star of Washington. Along more strictly recreative lines he is
connected with the Arctic Club and the Seattle Athletic Club. A man of broad-minded,
liberal culture, he is usually found in those circles where intelligent men are met in the
discussion of problems vital to city, state and nation and his opinions carry weight.

John A. Frater, the only surviving son of the family, was born in Kansas, May 28, 1887.
.^fter attending the graded and high schools of Seattle he continued his education in the
University of Washington, completing a course in the academic department, winning the
Bachelor of Arts degree in 1910, while from the law department he was graduated in 1913
with the LL. B. degree. He at once entered the office of Charles H. Winders, general
attorney for the Northern Pacific Railway Company, and tlicre remained until February,
1915, since which time he has been associated with Edwin H. Flick in the general practice
of law, in which he is making steady progress. He closely studies every phase of every
legal question which comes before him and prepares his cases with great thoroughness.

Mr. Frater belongs to the Beta Theta Pi, also to the Phi Delta Phi, an honorary legal
fraternity. He finds recreation through his membership in the Seattle Athletic Club and
his interest in moral progress finds expression in his membership in the Congregational
church.



ARTHUR CHALMERS MARTIN, M. D.

Dr. Arthur Chalmers Martin, secretary-treasurer of the King County Medical Society
for the year 1915 and an active practitioner in Seattle, was born at Shelter Island, New
York, a son of William Allen and Caroline (Davis) Martin. The father, now deceased, was
born in England but became a naturalized American citizen and was publisher and business
manager of various weekly papers issued in New York city. His wife, a graduate of
Vassar, also held the degree of M. D. from a foreign university, although she never actively
engaged in the practice of medicine. She was also greatly interested in the study of zoology
and botany and- had broad scientific knowledge. She, too, has passed away.

Arthur Chalmers Martin won his professional degree on graduation from the Cornell
University Medical College in the class of June, 1907, and has since actively practiced.
He occupied an interneship in the Boston City Hospital at Boston, Massachusetts, from
1907 until 1909, in the Boston Lying-in Hospital from 1909 until 1910 and was assistant





Ljj\,/l^(t^tL



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 691

visiting physician of the out-patient department of diseases of women for the Boston City
Hospital in 1911. He also acted as assistant to Dr. Edward Reynolds of Boston in 1910
and in iqii and since April, 1912, has been connected with the profession in Seattle, his
practice being limited to gj'necology and obstetrics.

On the 15th of December, 1910, in.Tacoma, Washington. Dr. Martin was united in
marriage to Miss Gladys Lydia Laffin, a daughter of Captain A. H. and Eva (AlcKenna)
Laffin. The father, who is deceased, was a master mariner, serving as master of the United
States army transport and cableship "Burnside." To Dr. and Mrs. Martin was born De-
cember 6, 1915, a son, William Alfred.

Dr. Martin concentrates his efforts upon his professional duties and has won high
standing among the practitioners of the northwest, enjoying the respect and good will of
colleagues and contemporaries as well as of the general public. That lie is prominent
among his fellow practitioners in King county is indicated in the fact that he has been
elected secretary-treasurer of the King County Medical Society. He also belongs to the
Washmgton State Medical Society, the Washington Medical Library Association, the Seattle
Obstetrical and Gynecological Society and the Seattle Surgical Club and he is a fellow
of the American Medical Association.



MAJOR THOMAS J. CUNNINGHAM.

Major Thomas J. Cunningham, conducting an insurance brokerage business at Seattle
under the name of the Pacific Insurance Brokers Company, of which he is president and
manager and also operating under the style of Thomas J. Cunningham & Company, of
Portland, Oregon, has been a resident of Seattle since 1902. A native of San Francisco,
his parents, John and Ann Cunningham, were California pioneers. His youthful days
were devoted to the acquirement of a grammar and high school education in his native
city and when it became time for him to make his initial step in the business world he
chose the field of insurance, in which he has since labored, for he found that pursuit a
congenial one. Coming to Seattle in 1902, he founded the above firms in 1908, in which
connection he has since built up a fine business, writing a large amount of insurance in
both states.

Mr. Cunningham is a republican and has taken an active part in politics but has never
held nor sought public office. His military history covers service as major with the First
California United States Volunteers. He was commissioned immediately after the out-
break of the Spanish-American war as captain of Company K and was in active service
in the Philippines from the opening to the close of hostilities. He won promotion to the
rank of major and was placed in command of the Third Battalion of his regiment. On
the organization of the United American War Veterans he became a member and was
honored with election to the position of department commander for Washington and
Alaska for 1915 and 1916. His interest in matters vital to the welfare and upbuilding of
Seattle is indicated in his membership connections with the Commercial Club and the
Chamber of Commerce.



REV. CARTER HELM JONES.

Rev. Carter Helm Jones, pastor of the First Baptist church of Seattle, is one of the
widely known and distinguished representatives of that denomination and has three times
been elected president of the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society. He is a native
of Nelson county, Virginia, born on the 30th of November, 1861. His father was Rev. John
William Jones, D. D., an eminent Baptist minister, historian, lecturer and author. He was
chaplain to General Robert E. Lee and his first biographer. Dr. J. William Jones died
March 17, 1909. The mother of Carter Helm Jones was Miss Judith Page Helm, of Nelson
county, Virginia, a descendant of Carter Braxton, one of the signers of the Declaration of
Independence.



692 . HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Spending his youthful days in his parents' home, Carter H. Jones attended Richmond
College, from which he won the Bachelor of Arts degree, and later pursued a special course
of study in the University of Virginia. Having determined to follow in his father's footsteps
and devote his life to the ministry, he entered the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
of Louisville, Kentucky, from which he was graduated in 1885. Nine years later Washington
and Lee University of Virginia conferred upon him the degree of Doctor of Divinity, and he
was also thus honored by Baylor University in igop. In 1884 he was ordained to the ministry
and accepted the pastorate of the churches of New Castle and Burke's branch in Kentucky
in the same year. Since that time he has served successively as pastor of the Baptist
church at Mechanicsville and Berea, Virginia, in 1885 and 1886 ; the First Baptist church
at Elizabeth, New Jersey, from 1886 until 1889; the First Baptist church at Knoxville,
Tennessee, from 1889 until 1893; the McFerran Memorial church at Louisville, Kentucky,
from 1893 until 1897; the Broadway church at Louisville from the latter date until 1907;
the First Baptist church at Lynchburg, Virginia, from 1907 until 1908; the First Baptist
church in Oklahoma City through the succeeding four years ; and as pastor of the First
Baptist church in Seattle since 1912. He was formerly vice president of the Southern
Baptist Convention and in the present year, 191 5, has been elected for the third time as
president of the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society, being chosen for the position
at the annual Northern Baptist convention in Boston. Upon no other has been conferred
the honor of a third election to that position. Dr. Jones also served as a trustee of Richmond
College and of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

On the 7th of April, 1886, at Gordonsville, Virginia, was celebrated the marriage of
Rev. Carter H. Jones and Miss Anne M. McCown, who passed away in January, 1906. He
was again married August 20, 1908, his second union being with Mrs. Elizabeth D. H.
Christian, of Lynchburg, Virginia. He has a son. Carter Brooke Jones, who is engaged
in newspaper work in Seattle and lives with his father, and a daughter, Mrs. J. G. Low,
who also resides in Seattle.

Mr. Jones is a member of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity and in Masonry has attained
the Knights Templar degree. He is widely known as a lecturer and commencement orator
and his services as a public speaker on other occasions are in frequent demand. He has
hardly yet reached the zenith of his powers, yet he stands today as one of the most eminent
representatives of the Baptist ministry, and the far-reaching effects of his work are attested
in every community in which he has lived and labored.



WILLL^M R. BALLARD,



The life records of some men are inseparably interwoven with the history of Seattle
and its upbuilding and to this class belongs William R. Ballard. His entire career has been
intelligently directed, has been actuated by honorable principles and crowned by success.
He has never confined his efforts entirely to the purpose of advancing his own fortunes,
but has given time and effort to advancing the public welfare and has left the impress of
his individuality for good upon the industrial and commercial progress of the district.

Mr. Ballard is a native of Richland county, Ohio. He was born August 12, 1847, and
is descended from English ancestry. The family was early established on American soil
and for many years representatives of the name were respected and influential residents
of New Hampshire. In that state Dr. Levi Ballard was born, the place of his nativity being
Hillsboro county, while his natal day was December 21, 1815. In early manhood he went
to New Jersey, where he began reading medicine and later completed his preparation for
the profession by graduation from the Cleveland Medical College, of Cleveland, Ohio, with
the class of 1844. The same year, in Richland county, Ohio, he wedded Miss Phoebe A.
McConnell, and there they established their home. Dr. Ballard devoting his attention to
medical practice. After a happy married life of about six years his wife passed away,
leaving two sons, Irving and William Rankin. The former became an attorney of King
county, Washington, and died in 1880. In 1852 Dr. Ballard made the trip across the hot
stretches of sand and over the mountain passes to California, but after a few months spent



HISTORY OF SEATTLE e'Xi

on the Pacific coast, returned by way of the Isthmus route to the east. He again crossed
the plains in 1855, but in that year Oregon was his destination. He became a factor in
the pioneer life of the state and served as surgeon of a regiment of volunteers during
the Indian war. In 1857 he went to the east by way of the Isthmus of Panama and wedded
Miss Mary E. Condit. He then brought his wife and two sons, born of his first marriage,
to Oregon in 1858 and engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery at Roseburg for
seven years, removing in 1865 to Auburn, Washington, after which he lived retired. He
passed the eighty-first milestone of life's journey and died January 12, 1897, leaving behind
him an untarnished record for honor, integrity and usefulness. His life was in accord
with his principles as a member of the Presbyterian church. His political allegiance was
given to the republican party. In pioneer times he experienced all of the hardships and
made the sacrifices necessary in connection with professional work upon the frontier. But
in all his practice he was actuated by a spirit of broad humanitarianism and many there
were who had reason to bless his memory for his timely and able assistance.

From the age of eleven years, William Rankin Ballard has resided in the northwest.
He was a student in the academy at Wilbur, Oregon, and afterward in the Washington
State University, and having given special attention to civil engineering, he entered upon
the practice of that profession, being accorded various government contracts for surveying
public lands, including the Yakima Indian reservation. This was the largest government
surveying contract awarded in the state and three years were required for the completion
of the work. As complications arose in regard to his pay he found it necessary in 187.S to
go to Washington and attend to that and other business. In the summer of 1876 he became
a mate on the steamer Zephyr, which was owned by his brother, and sailed between Olympia
and Seattle. In 1877 he became its captain and in 1881 purchased an interest in the vessel,
Iiis partners being George Harris and John Leary. After five years he purchased the
interest of his associates and continued in command until 1887, when he sold his ship. Under
Captain Ballard's management she was very popular and made larger earnings than any
other local steamer then plying on the Sound.

It was while making the Sound trips that Captain Ballard became convinced tliat large
investments in Seattle property would prove profitable and in connection with Judge Thomas
Burke and John Leary he purchased, in 1883. seven hundred acres of land on Salmon Bay,
upon which now stands the prosperous city of Ballard, a suburb of Seattle. He subdivided
the property and from time to time sold lots, realizing a handsome return on his investment,
the property being purchased for a few dollars per acre, while today it is worth many
thousands. Captain Ballard has managed and controlled the affairs of the company in
liandling the property and from his efforts has resulted the notable and gratifying success
which has come to him and his associates.

Captain Ballard has also figured prominently in financial circles and in other business
connections in Seattle. He became one of the organizers of the Seattle National Bank,
which was opened for business in 1890, with a capital stock of two hundred and fifty thousand
dollars. He was elected its vice president and his keen business judgment and enterprise
proved important factors in the successful management of the institution. The company
erected a six-story bank building, one of the finest of the kind in the northwest, and for
three years Mr. Ballard remained manager of the bank. He was also one of the organizer.s
of the Seattle Savings Bank and continued as its president until 1897. He was also president
of the First National Bank of Waterville, Washington, and was one of the directors of
the North End Bank of Seattle and the Fairhaven National Bank. In the organization of
the West Street and North End Electric Railway Company he took a helpful part, pur-'hasnig
much of the stock and became vice president of the company. He likewise held considerable
stock in the Terminal Railway & Elevator Company, of which he was a director and his
business activities have ever been of a nature that have contributed much to the city's
improvement and upbuilding along material lines. He is now president of the Mutual Land
Company and its interests are being actively fostered by him.

Captain Ballard was married in 1882, when Miss Estelle Thorndyke became his wife.
She was born in Rockland, Maine, and they became parents of five children, but four died
in infancy, the surviving son being Stanley who two years ago married Miss Ruth Gilmore,
daughter of Captain and Mrs. Gilmore. Mr. and Mrs. Ballard have an attractive social



694 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

position, for their friends are numbered among the best residents of Seattle. Mr. Ballard
holds membership in the First Presbyterian church, of which he has served as an elder for
many years. In 1871 he joined St. John's Lodge, F. & A. M., of Seattle, and has guided
his life in accordance with the basic principles of the fraternity. His interests have never
centered along a single line but have reached out to those activities which have most to do
with the material welfare of Seattle and with its intellectual, social and moral progress.
His life is well balanced and his is a well rounded character. One to meet him is at once
impressed with his power and resourcefulness, and yet he never boasts of his own accom-
plishments and is inclined more to modesty than self praise. His business and personal
worth are acknowledged by all who know aught of his history.



DANIEL WEBSTER McMORRIS.

Daniel Webster McMorris, court engineer of the city of Seattle, occupies a position
of importance in the city government and is discharging his duties with faithfulness and
ability. He was born on the i8th of November, 1864, in Coles county, Illinois, a son of
Elias James and Martha Ellen (McKenzie) McMorris. His ancestors on the paternal
side emigrated from Scotland to America before the Revolutionary war and settled in
Virginia. Subsequently members of the family removed to Ohio, where the birth of
Elias James McMorris occurred. His wife was also of Scotch descent, her ancestors com-
ing to this country from the same section of Scotland as the McMorris family. The
McKenzies also settled in Virginia, whence representatives of the family removed to
Indiana, where Mrs. Martha Ellen McMorris was born. She died July 2~. 1913, when
seventy-one years of age, and Mr. McMorris died on the 27th of April of that year, when
seventy-four years old. Both passed away on the Pacific coast, where they had resided
for many years, as they emigrated to California in 1871, parsing through Chicago during
the great fire.

Daniel W. McMorris received his education in the grammar schools of California and
in the high school at Dayton, Washington. In 1887 he was draftsman in the office of the
chief engineer of the Oregon & Washington Territory Railroad Company, and during
the two succeeding years was chief draftsman for that company. In 1890 he was engineer
in charge of bridges and in January, 1891, he became connected with the engineering depart-
ment of the city of Seattle. For two years he was draftsman but in 1893 became inspector,
which office he held for the following two years. In 1895 he entered the employ of the
engineering department of the federal government and was instrument man on topographical
surveys at Forts Flagler, Worden and Casey. In 1896 he was made assistant city engineer
of the city of Seattle and relocated the Cedar river pipe line from Swan lake to Beacon Hill.
From 1898 to 1904 he was junior engineer in the United States engineering department
and from 1905 to 1906 was United States assistant engineer in that department. While
connected with the engineering work of the federal government he was engaged in the
construction of fortifications at Forts Flagler and Ward, on Puget Sound, and in 1906
was in charge of fortification construction on Corregidor island in the Philippines. He
was given leave of absence and returned to Seattle and on obtaining a position as district
engineer in the city engineering department he resigned as United States assistant engineer.
He was later appointed field engineer and superintendent of construction and in November,
1907, was made principal assistant city engineer. He was executive officer for the engineer-
ing department of the city during the years of greatest construction activity. In 1910 and
igii he was principal assistant to V. G. Bogue, engineer of the municipal plans commission
of Seattle, and in 1912 he was promoted court engineer of Seattle, which position he holds
at the present time. He is not only an excellent engineer but he also has a detailed knowl-
edge concerning the problems that confront the engineering department of this city and
the needs of the city. The various promotions which he has gained have been the reward
of proven ability and of sincere devotion to the public interest, and his record in his
present position is one of which he has every reason to be proud.

Mr. McMorris was married Jaiuiary 4, 1888, at Dayton, Washington, to Miss Ella N.




UAXIEI. \V. M. MORRIS



:'U.i^- i



\.-:i...::^A



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 697

Edington, a daughter of James A. and Ellen (Scott) Edington. Mrs. McMorris is a native
of Marshfield, Missouri. The Edingtons came from Tennessee and the Scotts from Vir-
ginia. To Mr. and Mrs. McMorris have been born five children. Alfred William, twenty-
four years of age, was born in Seattle and was graduated from the civil engineering depart-
ment of Washington University with the class of 1915. In October, 1914, he became second
lieutenant of Company F, Wasliington National Guard, and is now serving as first lieu-
tenant and adjutant of the first battalion. Edith Adell, who is twenty years old, was mar-
ried January 4, 1914, to Albert John Krekeler on the twenty-sixth anniversary of the
marriage of her parents. Harold Ednigton is fifteen years old, James is five years of age
and Daniel Webster Jr. is three years old.

Mr. McMorris has supported the republican party since shortly after reaching his
majority although his father was a democrat. He is well known in Masonic circles and
lias been identified with the order since 1900, when he became a member of the blue lodge
at Fort Blakely, Washington. He was successively senior deacon and master of Renton
Lodge, No. 29, A. F. & A. M. He is also a member of Seattle Chapter, No. 3, K. A. M.;
Seattle Council, No. 6, R. & S. M. ; Seattle Commandery, No. 2, K. T. ; Nile Temple,
A. A. O. N. M. S. ; Lodge of Perfection, No. i, A. & A. S. R. ; Washington Council,
Knights of Kadosh, No. i ; and Washington Chapter, No. i, Rose Croix. He has taken a
very active part in the work of the commandery and Shrine, being a member of the drill
teams and having also held a number of subordinate offices in the commandery. He is also
identified with the Arctic Club and the Municipal League of Seattle and along strictly
professional lines is a charter member of the Pacific Northwest Society of Engineers and
a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers. Mr. McMorris has a wide
acquaintance in this city and those who know him most intimately esteem him most highly
not only for his ability but also for his uprightness and consideration for others.



ROBERT CHARLES MILLER.

Robert Charles Miller, who in 1910 established the Miller Transfer, Packing & Storage
Company, of which he is the president and the principal stockholder, was born June 5, 1882,
at Visby, Gotland, Sweden. His father, Charles A. Miller, also a native of Sweden, came
to America prior to the Civil war and enlisted in the United States navy, being in active
service for seven years. On the expiration of that period he returned to Sweden, was there
married and in 1890 came again to the new world, settling in Seattle. For a number of
years he was a sea captain, sailing on the Atlantic. He married Olivia Gotberg, also a native
of Sweden, and now occupying the old home in Seattle. They became the parents of five
children, three of wliom are yet living. The father, however, passed away in 1907, at the
age of sixty-five years.

Robert Charles Miller attended school in his native country to the age of seventeen
years and then came with his mother and the other members of the family to the new world
in 1S99. They made their way direct to Seattle and almost immediately he secured employ-
ment with the Frederick & Nelson Dry Goods Company as a clerk in the shipping department,
continuing with that firm until 1910, or for a period of eleven years, during which time he
worked his way steadily upward. His ability and trustworthiness won him promotion and
through his industry and economy he secured capital sufficient to enable him to embark in
business on his own account. He then established the Miller Transfer, Packing & Storage
Company, Incorporated, of which he is the president and principal stockholder. They do



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 84 of 142)