Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 85 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 85 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the principal packing and storage business of the city and also have a liberal patronage in
the transfer business. The company has two fireproof storage houses, one being the John
Erickson building at First and University streets, while under the name of the Diamond
Ice & Storage Company business is conducted at the corner of Union street and Western
avenue. From the beginning the business has steadily grown, showing marked increase
month by month. An average of from ten to twelve men are employed throughout the year
and the company utilizes three auto trucks. The office is located in the Cheasty building at
114 Spring street.



69S HISTORY OF SEATTLE

On the 2Sth of December, 1913, Mr. Miller was married in Seattle to Miss Heldur
Branow, a native of Sweden. They reside at No. 741 Blewett street, where they own a
pleasant residence. In politics Mr. Miller is independent and belongs to no clubs or social
organizations. He has membership in the Lutheran church and he finds his greatest pleasure
at his own fireside. He is a selfmade man, his advancement being entirely due to his own
efforts and perseverance since he started out in life on his own account in 1899, then a youth
of seventeen years. Earnest work has been the basis of his advancement and his diligence
and determination have enabled him to surmount difficulties and obstacles and climb steadily
to the plane of affluence.



JOHN CARLTON EVANS.



John Carlton Evans, president of the Seattle Press Club and a member of the Times
staff of writers, was born in Macon, Georgia, March 26, 1876. and pursued his education in
the schools of Chicago and Minneapolis. His father, Luke C. Evans, a native of Georgia,
died in 1S90 at the comparatively early age of thirty-six years, while the mother, who bore
the maiden name of Sarah A. Clay, was born in Georgia and was a descendant of the old
and prominent family of that name. His father, who was a physician, discovered the
camphor and sugar treatment for cholera.

With the removal of the family to the north, John Carlton Evans took up his educational
training in the cities of the north. He made his initial step in the business world in connec-
tion with theatrical enterprises and later with newspaper publication. At different times
he has been identified with the Detroit Free Press, the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Salt Lake
Herald, the New Orleans Times-Democrat and the San Francisco Chronicle, and has been
.editor of papers in Bisbee, Arizona, and Goldfield, Nevada. Arriving in Seattle in February,
igi2, he became associated with The Times as a writer on aviation and military affairs. He
entered at once into the life of the city in its various public relations, becoming a member
of the house committee of the Press Club. He was chairman of this committee at the time
of the reorganization on June 30, 1914, and took an active part in the management of the
club during the period when radical changes were introduced. He was elected to fill an
imexpired term on the board of managers and was nominated by acclamation at the 1915
election for president of the Press Club, which position he now fills. Mr. Evans in his
newspaper career became qualified to take up the duties of his present position and in carrying
them forward is receiving the commendation and indorsement not only of the club, but
also of the general public. His political allegiance is given to the democratic party.

On March 2, 1913, Mr. Evans was married to Miss Anita Fitzpatrick. a native of
Kentucky. Their marriage was celebrated at Victoria.



COLONEL GEORGE G. LYON.

Colonel George G. Lyon, who figured prominently in political and newspaper circles in
Seattle, and left the impress of his ability and individuality upon public thought and opinion,
was born September 17, 1842. For some years he resided in Nevada, where he was well
known as a political leader and for some time occupied the position of private secretary to
the governor. Almost immediately after coming to Seattle he became an influential factor
in political circles, his opinions carrying weight throughout Washington in the councils of
the republican party. For several years he was chairman of the republican state central
committee and thus directed the activities and largely shaped the destinies of the party in
this state. His interest was never prompted by a love of office. On the contrary, he con-
tinually refused to become a candidate for any political position, although almost any office
that he might have desired would have been given him. He studied with great thoroughness
the questions and problems of the day and was ever ready to support his position by
intelligent ar.gument, well grounded in fact.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 699

In 1S83 Mr. Lyon formed a partnership with T. H. Dempsey in the newspaper business
and they became sole owners of the Seattle Times, Colonel Lyon giving his attention to the
editorial management and Mr. Dempsey to the business management of the paper, which
they carefully and successfully conducted. Eventually, however, they sold the Times,
which was later consolidated with the Press Publishing Company. Colonel Lyon's further
connection with newspaper interests in Seattle was that of editorial writer for the Post-
Intelligencer. After he withdrew from the newspaper field he became secretary for the
Seattle Cataract Company, in which connection he continued to the time of his death.

On the 6th of July, 1871, Colonel Lyon was married, in Nevada, to Miss Lucy Kinkead,
who still survives him and makes her home at No. 926 Second avenue West. The death
of Colonel Lyon occurred July 17, 1902. He possessed many attractive social qualities as
well as marked business ability and enterprise and he thus became firmly established in high
regard, so that when death called him he left behind many friends — friends who still cherish
his memory and feel a glow of the heart when they think of him.



JACOB L. GOTTSTEIN.



Jacob L. Gottstein is prominently known in Seattle as one of the organizers of the Greater
Theatres Company, which is now erecting the six hundred thousand dollar Coliseum, which
will be the finest moving picture house in the United States. The spirit of enterprise and
pro.gress characterizes him in all that he undertakes and in addition to his identification with
tlie theatre company he is a partner in the firm of M. & K. Gottstein.

A native of Poland, Mr. Gottstein was born January 15. 1879, and is a son of Kassell
and Rebecca Gottstein. The father was born in Poland, May 19, 1856, pursued his education
there and in 1880 came to the United States, making his way to Deadwood in the Black Hills
country of South Dakota. There he engaged in the grocery business until 1883 and for a
period was a resident of St. Paul, Minnesota, In 1887 he arrived in Seattle, where he formed
a partnership with M. Gottstein and engaged in the wholesale liquor business under the
name of M. & K. Gottstein. which enterprise is still conducted under that name. He also
contributed to the improvement of the city in a substantial way by erecting the first large
building, known as the Gottstein block, at tlie corner of First and Columbia streets. He also
purchased the first higli-priced building of the city, paying fifty-five thousand dollars for a
frame building. Later he erected other business blocks and also four double houses at Ninth
and Washington streets and thus his building operations constituted an important element
in the development and improvement of Seattle. Mr. Gottstein was a member of the Chamber
of Commerce and took an active and helpful interest in all of its plans and projects for the
improvement of the city. He belonged to the Jewish Club, the Concordia Club and the
Athletic Club and he gave his political allegiance to the republican party. He was a very
broad-niinded man, looking at vital questions from no narrow nor contracted standpoint,
and he was most charitable and benevolent, giving freely as his success increased for the
aid of the poor and unfortunate. He passed away March 17, 1912.

To Mr. and Mrs. Kassell Gottstein were born six children, of whom five are living:
Augusta, the wife of I. Brown; Sarah, the wife of A. Bastheim ; Ida, the wife of F. V.
Fisher; Jacob, of this review; and Rose, who is still at home. All are yet residents of
Seattle.

Jacob L. Gottstein was the only son of the family and was a little child of a year when
he was brought t6 the new world. After several years spent in South Dakota and Minnesota
the family removed to Washington and he continued his education in the public schools of
Seattle and in the University of Washington, from which he was graduated with the class
of 1899. Immediately afterward he entered business circles in connection with the firm of
M. & K. Gottstein, thoroughly acquainting himself with every phase of the business, and
in 1907 he was admitted to a partnership in the undertaking, in which he is still interested.
His progressive and enterprising spirit is further demonstrated in the fact that he became
one of the organizers and promoters of the Greater Theatres Company, which is now
erecting the six hundred thousand dollar Coliseum in Seattle, an undertaking of which the



700 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

city has every reason to be proud, for it will be one of the finest moving picture houses in
the United States. It will have equipments equal to if not superior to those found in any
photo-play theatre of the country and it will furnish the finest attractions that have been
placed on the films.

Mr. Gottstein. as a member of the Chamber of Commerce, indorses and cooperates in
all movements for the benefit and upbuilding of the city. He is an Elk and in his university
days he became a member of the Sigma Nu. He exercises his right of franchise in support
of the men and measures of the republican party and is conversant with the leading questions
and issues of the day, but does not seek office as a reward for party fealty. The name
Gottstein has become a synonym for business enterprise and progressiveness in this city,
where the work of father and son has constituted an important feature in general improve-
ment along material lines.



DAVID J. MORRIS.



David J. Morris, geologist and mineralogist, was born October 8. 1851, in Niles,
Trumbull county, Ohio, a son of D, D. and Rasamond (Jarnes) Morris. Both parents were
natives of Wales and in the year 1851 came to the United States, settling in Niles, Ohio,
where the father engaged both in milling and farming, having followed those pursuits from
Iiis boyhood. In 1879 he located in Macon county, Missouri, where he carried on general
agricultural pursuits. He was also interested in coal and iron mining, operating in that
way in Trumbull county, Ohio. He died upon his farm in Missouri, September 23, 1888,
while his wife, long surviving him. passed away in McAlester, Oklahoma, in IQII. In their
family were nine children, five sons and four daughters.

David J. Morris acquired his early education in the common schools of his native state
and was graduated from the Iowa City College with the class of 1893. He pursued a law
course and was admitted to the bar, receiving his initial experience in the practice of law
when in the office of William A. Meese, of Moline, Illinois. He was also associated with
Liston McMillen, at Oskaloosa. Iowa, but he did not study law for the purpose of practicing
it as a means of livelihood, merely acquainting himself with legal principles in order that he
might thereby capably manage his business affairs. From 1873 until the present time he
has made a specialty of geology and mineralogy and has had broad experience along these
lines through his professional operations in the western states. He located the Boulder
oil fields of Boulder, Colorado, and also a number of coal mines in that state and he has
had experience in prospecting for coal and oil and in the operation of mines. At the present
writing he is superintending the oil business of the David J. Morris Developing Company,
operating at Ballard, Washington. He has made notable discoveries, having in the operation
of seventeen hundred feet passed through nine feet of oil sand containing paraffine oil.
He is now operating to reach the next vein, which promises to be very rich, and the discovery
of the vein is expected any day. The company is incorporated and maintains offices in the
Loman building in Seattle. Professor Morris' wide scientific knowledge and broad practical
experience well qualify him for the work which engages his attention. Further knowledge
of his career and development is given in the writing of a contemporary biographer, who
said :

"The life of Professor Morris has been an interesting one. Early in his childhood he
developed a taste for investigation as to clays and minerals, and at the age of ten years
spent his summer vacations under the tutorship of William Griffin, an expert in clays and a
student of geology. Early in life he spent eight years under his father's direction in search
of material best adapted for the iron trade, and when the Hayden expedition was formed,
he forunately had influence enough, through his father, with Congressman Garfield, after-
wards President Garfield, so that he was given the privilege of going along with this expe-
dition with a number of others, who accompanied Hayden, none of whom, excepting Hayden,
was connected with the government. This privilege of accompanying Hayden was very
valuable to Morris, and by reason of his energy, Hayden's charts and geological investigations
became very valuable and a stimulant to Morris in his further research. His father used



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 701

his influence to gain him the privilege of going with the Hayden expedition and paid his
expenses ; and ever since then he has been an ardent student of all kinds of mineral and the
constituent elements of the earth. In his early study of the earth and its productions, he
reached the conclusion that oil seepages were only the arteries through which the oil assisted
by the gas forced its way to the earth's surface, which was in reality knowledge he gathered
from Professor Hayden and his expedition, and has followed this line of investigation in
every well developed oil field in the United States. The knowledge acquired in the study and
actually in the field of study of geology has enabled him to discover a composition for the
making of artificial stone and marble for which he has been recently granted patents in the
United States and Canada. He is a student of the conditions in the state of Washington
as to oil and an enthusiast as to its future oil development."

In Jackson, Ohio, Mr. Morris was united in marriage to Miss Alartha A. Evans, her
father being Evan F. Evans, an agriculturist by occupation. Professor and Mrs. Morris are
the parents of four children, namely: Haydn D., who is thirty-two years of age and a
fireman ; T. S., thirty years of age, who is a machinist and chauffeur living in Seattle ; I. E.,
a young man of twenty-si.x. who is on the stage as a comedian : and Mrs. -\nn Elizabeth
Schachleiter.

Fraternally Professor Morris is a Mason, an Odd Fellow and a Knight of Pythias. He
is a strong believer in the Christian religion, but believes as well in religious liberty and
does not seek to force others to accept his opinions. In his political views, too, he is very
liberal and votes rather for the man than the party, supporting the candidate whom he
thinks best qualified for office. His professional duties have carried him over a wide
territory. He has traveled greatly, not only in this, but in other states and in foreign
countries, but he has found no place where he considers the climate more delightful nor the
advantages better. He believes that there is an excellent outlook for the future and he is
ready and willing to bear his part in developing the northwest. Already he is accorded
marked professional prominence in this section of the country and his work is proving a
vital force in the field of geologic and mineral discovery, operation and developrnent.



JOSEPH BURTON CHAPMAN, M. D.

Dr. Joseph Burton Chapman, who has been successfully engaged in the. practice of
medicine in Seattle since the fall of 1890, is a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and his
natal year was 1863. His father, William Chapman, was born in Tewkesbury, England, in
1837, but emigrated to America when a youth of eighteen years. He has resided succes-
sively in New York city; Philadelphia; Cresco, Iowa; Goldendale, Washington; and
Seattle, which has remained his home since 1890. In all of the above named places he
followed his two professions, that of medicine and of the Christian ministry. For two
terms he was a member of the Seattle city council. He was married in 1854 to Miss Eliza-
beth Susanna Newman, of Birmingham, England. She was born in 1837 and died in
Seattle in 1913.

Dr. Joseph B. Chapman received a public school education and then entered the Wash-
ington Biochemic Medical College, from which he received his professional degree in 1889.
Previous to taking his medical course, in 1884 and 1885, he taught in the government
Indian school at Fort Simcoe, Washington. Immediately after his graduation in 1889 he
located at North Yakima, where he engaged in the practice of medicine until the fall of
the following year, when he removed to Seattle. He has made a creditable place for him-
self in the medical profession of this city and has gained a large and lucrative practice. He
is careful in diagnosis and keeps in touch with the latest developments in medical science,
as he desires to give his patients the benefit of all new methods of treatment which have
proven of real value.

Dr. Chapman was married at Fort Simcoe, Washington, on the 26th of June. 1884,
to Miss Etta Idolette Hedges, a daughter of Captain A. F. Hedges, who removed to Oregon
territory in 1844. During the Civil war he served as recruiting officer, and he was at one
time a member of the Oregon legislature. He owned and operated the first steamboats on



702 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

the upper Willamette river and was well known in his locality. His wife was a daughter
of Samuel Barlow, the founder of the famous Barlow road from The Dalles to Oregon
City, Oregon. His residence in that state dated from 1845. To Dr. and Mrs. Chapman
have been born the following children : Burton Lee Waite, a resident of Seattle, who mar-
ried Miss Maggie McCallister ; Ouida Elizabeth, the wife of Earl C. Moulton, of Mabton,
Washington; Gerald Dean, deceased; and Aleta Elva and Merna Louise, at home.

Dr. Chapman is a prohibitionist and does all in his power to bring about the abolition
of the liquor traffic. His religious faith is that of the Advent Christian church and he has
been honored by election to the office of president of the Advent Christian Conference of
Western Washington and British Columbia. Along professional lines he is identified
with the King County Homeopathic Medical Society, the State Homeopathic Medical Society
and the American Institute of Homeopathy. His professional ability has gained him the
respect of those who know him, and his many admirable personal qualities have enabled
him to make and retain a liost of warm friends.



CAPTAIX JAMES S. GIBSON.

Seattle with its splendid harbor offers a profitable field for the successful conduct of
important navigation interests and kindred lines of business. Captain James S. Gibson is
now at the head of the International Stevedoring Company as president and general man-
ager and has made his home in Seattle since 1905. For more than thirty years he has
been connected with the coast country of the northwest. He was born in Mobile, Alabama.
September 7, 1856, a son of James S. and Antoinette J. (Powers) Gibson, the former a
native of Alabama and the latter of New York. The father is descended from Scotch
ancestors who figured prominently in connection with the military history of the land of
hills and heather. The mother is a direct descendant of Aneke Jans, a native of Holland,
owner of the Trinity church property on' Broadway in New York. For many years James
S. Gibson was a southern planter and at the time of the Civil war he served in the Con- •
federate army.

His son, Captain Gibson, one of a family of seven brothers now scattered in different
parts of the world, completed his education in the University of Mississippi at Oxford
with the class of 1874 and was engaged in the cotton classing business thereafter until 1879.
He. went to sea from Mobile in the Trans-Atlantic cotton trade, shipping before the mast,
and in 1884 came to the Pacific coast, taking command of the ship Spartan, engaged in
general trade. He afterward commanded the ships Beividere and America and the barks
J. D. Peters and Colorado. Retiring from the sea in 1896, he settled in British Columbia,
at Chemainus, and was United States consul for that district from 1897 until 1905. He
was also president of the Vancouver & Victoria Stevedoring Company and was surveyor
for the San Francisco board of underwriters. His important business connections brought
him into close association with the development and material upbuilding of the coast
country. In 1905 he removed to Seattle, where he conducted business under the name
of the Washington Stevedoring Company. In 1908 he bought out the firm of McCabe &
Hamilton and consolidated the Washington Stevedoring Company with the newly acquired
interests under the name of the International Stevedoring Company, of which he is now
the president and general manager. He has other business interests, is the owner of val-
uable real estate in British Columbia and has important gold mining properties in Alaska
Captain Gibson has visited all parts of the world and possesses intimate and interesting
knowledge concerning the history, manners and customs of various countries and people.
His life has been fraught with many varied experiences. In 1886 he lost his ship Beividere,
which went ashore where the Valencia was lost on the west coast of Vancouver Island.
In 1880 he was shipwrecked in the Bay of Fundy when on the ship City of Brooklyn, of
w-hich he was the third officer. He has had other minor experiences of like nature and
there are few phases of life at sea with which he is not familiar. That he possesses marked
executive ability and administrative power is indicated in the successful conduct of his
present business interests.



y^'




"iP^^K ^1%



^IB f^""




■%;



CAPTAIX JAMES S. GIBSOX



i\"\ '



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 705

Oil the 26th of November, 1884, at East Orange. New Jersey, Captain Gibson was
united in marriage to Miss Corrine M. Masson, her father being Captain Thomas L. Mas-
son, of Essex, Connecticut, who passed away in 1893. The latter was one of the com-
manders of the Trans-Atlantic ships. Mrs. Gibson's brother is the editor of Life, and
she comes of an old New England family of French descent that was represented in the
Revolutionary war. Our subject and his wife have a son and daughter, namely: Thomas
Masson, who is an architect of Boston; and Mildred, of Seattle.

In his political views Captain Gibson is a democrat but not an active party worker,
although he has made a few trips east on public missions in connection with the port and
shipping interests of the northwest. He is president of the Puget Sound Shipping Associa-
tion, is a member of the Alaska Bureau of the Chamber of Commerce and is a member
of committees on insular and foreign commerce. He naturally takes the deepest interest
in questions of this character and has done much to further a general knowledge of con-
ditions relating to shipping and has promoted the welfare of the city through his wisely
directed efforts for improvement along those lines.

Mr. Gibson is a thirty-second degree Mason, belonging to Vancouver Consistory at
Vancouver, British Columbia, to the Knight Templar commandery at Victoria, British
Columbia, and to Gizeh Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Victoria. He is also a member of
Port Townsend Lodge, No. 317, B. P. O. E., and the Independent Order of Foresters. In
clubdom he is a well known figure, holding membership with Rainier, Seattle Golf and
Country, Arctic, Transportation, Rotary, Press and the Seattle Yacht Clulis. He is also
a member of the Automobile Club and the Pacific Highway Association and has a life
membership in the Washington State Art Association. He is a member of the Chamber
of Commerce of Seattle and is well known through business and social connections else-
where, holding membership in the Union Club of Tacoma, the Union Club of Victoria,



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 85 of 142)