Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 86 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 86 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

the Royal Victoria Yacht Club and the Vancouver Club. In a word. Captain Gibson is a
well known figure in the northwest because of the extent and importance of his business
activities, because of the prominent part which he has taken in the development of naviga-
tion interests, because of his active association with important fraternal organizations and
clubs. His varied experiences, teaching him the lessons of life, have made him a broad-
minded man, liberal in his opinions. Progress has been his watchword and he is the advo-
cate and champion of advancement not only along business lines but in those connections
where tlie intellectual and aesthetic natures arc fostered and where social amenities obtain.


Otto Edward Sauter, who since his admission to the bar in 1881 has continued in the
practice of law and has followed his profession in Seattle since 1902, was born in Chicago,
Illinois, September 17, 1861, his parents being Jacob and Anna (Smith) Sauter. Tlie former
was of German descent, his ancestors having come to the United States in the latter part of
the eighteenth century. The mother was of French lineage. The grandfather served in
the French army and after the Napoleonic wars came to t)ie United States in the year 1818.
Jacob Sauter, the father of our subject, removed from Connecticut to Chicago in 1837,
the year in which the city was incorporated, and the mother removed from New York to
Chicago in 1840. They were there married in 184 1 and the father tliere passed away in
March, 1865, at which time he was captain of a company in charge of Fort Douglas, a mili-
tary prison in which Confederates were confined His widow long survived him and passed
I away in Chicago in October, 1893.

O. E. Sauter attended the public schools of his native city and in preparation for a
professional career entered the law department of the University of Michigan, in which
he won his LL. B. degree as an alumnus of 1882. He was admitted to the practice of
law in Iowa in 1881. Following his graduation he removed to North Dakota, where he
entered upon active professional work, so continuing until 1894. In that year he was elected
judge of the district court of the seventh judicial district of North Dakota and at the close
of a four years' terin was reelected, serving upon the bench for eight years, his record
Vol. m— 31


being characterized by strict fairness and impartiality and a masterful grasp of every prob-
lem presented for solution. He retired from the bench with the high regard and confidence
of the public and in July, 1902, removed to the northwest, establishing his home in Seattle,
where he has since resided and engaged in the private practice of law. He has here won a
good clientage and his name figures in connection with considerable important litigation.
Aside from his professional interests he is the secretary-treasurer of the Thunder Creek
Mining Company, operated developed placer property in the Yentna mining district of

On the loth of January, 1884, at St. .A.nsgar, Iowa, Judge Sauter was united in mar-
riage to Miss Mame M. McCarthy, daughter of Colonel D. F. and B. J. McCarthy. Colonel
D. F. McCarthy served as an officer in a Minnesota regiment during the Civil war, he and
his wife at that time being residents of Faribault, Minnesota. After the cessation of hos-
tilities he engaged in farming and milling at Faribault until his removal to St. Ansgar,
Iowa, where his time was similarly occupied. Subsequently he served as state auditor of
Iowa and also as state bank examiner. His demise occurred at Des Moines, Iowa, in the
year 1900. Mr. and Mrs. Sauter have two daughters, namely : Ruth Marie, who was gradu-
ated from the University of Washington with the degree of A. B. and is now the wife of
Clarence J. Dunlap, of Seattle ; and Jean, a student in the University of Washington,

Judge Sauter votes with the republican party and was active as one of its leaders in
North Dakota, serving as a member of the county and state central committees and as na-
tional delegate from 1883 until 1894. As a republican he was made judge of the seventh
judicial district of North Dakota and was reelected on that ticket. He is a firm believer
in the party principles and it is characteristic of Judge Sauter that he stanchly advocates
any cause which he espouses.


Edward Bailey Downing, secretary of the Greenwood Timber Company, was born
October 19, 1861, in Wilmington, Delaware, and is descended from English ancestry. The
family was established in America soon after William Penn tounded the city of Philadel-
phia and, like him, they were representatives of the Society of Friends. They settled in
the Chester valley, about thirty miles west of Philadelphia, at a place now known as Down-
ington, on the Brandywine river. One of the ancestors, George Downing, was a colonel of
a Pennsylvania regiment of the colonial army during the Revolutionary war. Samuel Spack-
man Downing, father of Edward B. Downing, became a leather manufacturer and con-
ducted business in partnership with his father, George S. Downing, having tanneries at
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, and at Wilmington, Delaware, The mother bore the maiden
name of Mary Stapler.

Edward Bailey Downing attended the orthodox Friends school at Ninth and Tatnall
streets in Wilmington, Delaware, also was a student in Rugby Academy of Wilmington and
later attended Phillips Academy at Andover, Massachusetts, from which he was graduated
with the class of 1881. He next entered the class of 1884 of the Sheffield Scientific School
of Yale University but did not graduate. Putting aside his textbooks, he came to Wash-
ington in October, 1883, and after spending several months in Tacoma removed to Seattle
in February, 1884. With the late Charles H. Kittinger he organized the firm of Edward
B. Downing & Company for the conduct of a private banking and mortgage business. The
undertaking prospered and the firm was the first one to make loans on the farms in the val-
leys on the west side of Puget sound and on the La Conner and Stanwood diked lands,
which were sold to investors in the middle Atlantic states. This firm also purchased the
first bonds issued by the city of Seattle and with the proceeds the first Grant street bridge
was built to give the farmers of the Duwamish and White river valleys a permanent and
good road at all seasons to Seattle. In 1887 the members of the firm, together with L. S.
J. Hunt, George H. Heilboon and David N. Baxter, incorporated the Guarantee Loan &
Trust Company, which took over the business. This bank was forced to close in May,


1896, from causes resulting from the panic of 1893. Mr, Downing is now the secretary of
the Greenwood Timber Company.

On the I2th of May, 1909, in St. Mark's Episcopal clnirch of Seattle, the Rev. J. P.
D. Lloyd performed the wedding ceremony which united the destinies of Mr. Downing
and Mrs. Clara Settemaier Adams, the widow of the late Albert I. Adams and a daughter
of Florenz and Clara (Tamm) Settemaier, of St. Louis, Missouri. She comes of a promi-
nent St. Louis family, her grandfather. Jacob Tamm, having been a leading merchant and
banker of that city from 1850 until 1880. He founded the St. Louis Woodenware Works,
with a branch at Memphis, Tennessee. He was a personal friend of General U. S. Grant
and Samuel Clemens. By her former marriage Mrs. Downing had a son, James Otis -Adams,
and by her second marriage has a daughter, Mary Elizabeth Downing.

Mr. Downing has always been a supporter of the republican party at state and national
elections but has never been active as a party worker. His military history covers service
as a member of the Home Guards under Captain George Kinnear. This was formed in
February, 1886, at tlie time of the Chinese riots, and he also served as special deputy sheriff
under John H. McGraw from November, 1885, till February, 1886, when the Chinese troubles
were on. Later he was a member of Company E of the First Regiment of the National
Guard of the Territory of Washington, under Captain E. -M. Carr, and so continued for
several years, being present with his company at the inauguration of Elisha P. Ferry, the
first governor of the state. He was also a member of the Hyack Hose Company of Seattle's
volunteer fire department from its organization until the formation of a paid fire department
after the Seattle fire. Mr. Downing was one of the early members of Rainier Club and
served as trustee and also as treasurer for one term but has withdrawn from connection
with the organization at the present time. He has been a member of the Seattle Golf
Club since its formation, is also a charter member of the University Club of Seattle and
his religious faith is evidenced in his connection with the Society of Orthodo.x Friends of
Wilmington, Delaware, attached to the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. His residence in
Seattle dates from the period of early development, when the city was little more than a
frontier town, but the rapid growth of the west seemed to promise much for the future
and his sagacity prompted his identification with its interests. He is actuated in all that he
does by the spirit that has made the west — employment of every availal)le opportunity and
faith in the future.


Joseph W. Gregory, engaged in law practice in Seattle, was born at Winona, Minnesota,
December 24, 1858, his parents being George and F. P. Gregory, the former of English
birth and the latter a representative of an old New York family. The name was originally
McGregor, but the paternal ancestors lived in Bristol, England, more than four hundred
years ago and adopted the present orthography. The mother is a direct descendant of two
Mayflower ancestors, and many of her people were prominent in connection with the Revo-
lutionary war.

Joseph W. Gregory acquired liis early education in the public schools of Adrian, Miclii-
gan, and afterward attended the Terre Haute Normal College. He then prepared for the
bar and has since been engaged in the practice of law. In 1882 and 1883 he followed his
profession in Indianapolis, Indiana, and for a short time in Tacoma, Washington. In the
spring of 1884 he came to Seattle, but the following summer removed to Olympia, where
he remained until August, 1887. He then returned to Seattle, moving the land office from
Olympia to this city. He has devoted thirty years to law practice, mostly in land ofifice and
departmental work, and a large portion of the titles in Washington and Oregon have gone
through his hands. He is an expert in these lines, having comprehensive knowledge of the
principles of jurisprudence applicable thereto. He has become the owner of timber lands
in Western Washington and fruit lands in eastern Washington, and his property holdings
contribute materially to his success.

On the 19th of January, 1888. at Olympia. Washington, Mr. Gregory was united in mar-


riage to Miss Annie C. Ellis, a daughter of I. C. and Martha Ellis. Mr. Gregory is a repub-
lican, giving unfaltering allegiance to the party, and in politics he takes an active interest,
doing everything in his power to promote republican successes because of his belief in
party principles. He is a member of Chamber of Commerce and a life member of the
Arctic Club, and he attends the Methodist church.


George W. Scott, senior partner of the firm of George \V. Scott & Son, owners of large
greenhouses in Seattle, is a native of New York. He was born in Jefferson county, October
i8, 1843, his parents being Asa A. and Irene (Rawls) Scott. The former was a son of
Jonathan Scott, who served as a captain in the War of 1812. The same military spirit was
manifest by George W. Scott during the Civil war. He was a young man in his teens at
the outbreak of hostilities and was but twenty years of age when on the 23d of December,
1863, he enlisted as a private in Company D, First Regiment of Michigan Engineers and
Mechanics, under Captain Joseph C. Herkner and Colonel William P. Innes, who was
afterward succeeded by Colonel John Yates. He enlisted in Ottawa county, Michigan, to
serve for three years or during the war and was mustered into the United States service
at Grand Rapids, Michigan.

The organization of this regiment was specialh' authorized by the war department, being
composed principally of engineers and mechanics. It was recruited in the summer and fall
of 1861 and left the state on the 17th of December under orders to report to General
Buell, commanding the department of detachments, and was stationed at Munfordville,
Lebanon, New Haven and Bacon, Kentucky, where they performed various duties. On
the 28th of February, 1862, the regiment was concentrated at Franklin, Tennessee, and
was engaged in building railroad bridges at different points, with headquarters at Nash-
ville. On the 3d of April they started on the march with Buell's army for the field of
Shiloh and on the way built several road bridges which enabled General Buell to reach
Shiloh in time to rescue the army of General Grant. Companies A and K marched from
Nashville with General Mitchell's division to Huntsville, Alabama, and were employed in
running trains during the month of May. The other companies moved to Corinth, Missis-
sippi, and were employed in building corduroy roads and placing siege guns in position.
In July the whole regiment, at Huntsville, Alabama, was engaged in bridge building, track
repairing and the operation of trains. In detachments it took part in the pursuit of Bragg
through Kentucky and participated in the battle of Perryville. Returning to Nashville, the
regiment continued bridge building and similar work until the 31st of December, when it
was ordered to La Vergne, Tennessee, where it engaged in a battle with a force of Wheeler's
cavalry outnumbering it ten to one on the 31st of January, 1863. The engineers performed
an immense amount of mechanical work which reflected great credit upon themselves and
the state, their services being especially valuable to the government and highly appreciated
by the commandin.g generals under whom they served. Beside the work of building bridges,
repairing railroads, building fortifications, etc., it took part by detachments or as a regi-
ment in engagements at Mill Springs, Kentucky, Farmington, Mississippi, the siege of
Corinth, Mississippi, Perr>-ville, Kentucky, La Vergne and Chattanooga, Tennessee, the
siege of Atlanta and the battles of Savannah, Georgia, and Bentonville, North Carolina.
The regiment was with Sherman on his celebrated march to the sea and participated in the
Grand Review in Washington on the 24th of May, 1865. Early in June the command was
ordered to Louisville, Kentucky, and from there to Nashville, where the men were employed
upon the defenses until September 22d, when the regiment under command of Colonel
Yates was mustered out and Mr. Scott was honorably discharged at Jackson, Michigan,
October i. 1865, He enlisted as a recruit and took part in all the service of his company
during 1864 and 1865, rendering faithful and valuable aid to his country.

Mr. Scott was married on the 24th of December, i86q, in Ottawa county, Michigan,
to Miss Mary Jane Brittain and to them was born a daiishter. Lora Louise. Subsequently
Mr. Scott wedded Mrs. Mary Isabelle Babcock, nee David, their marriage taking place in


Aluskegon county, Michigan, January i, 1882. Tliey had a family of three children:
Georgia Winifred, Mary Grace and Walter Asa.

Mr. Scott continued his residence in the middle west until 1885, when he removed to
North Yakima, Washington, and during the same year rode over the Cascade mountains
and over the Snoqualmie toll road on a broncho to Seattle, arriving in the month of
August. After looking over the country he decided to settle here and returned to North
Yakima for his family. They were compelled to make the trip by way of Portland. Ore-
gon, along which route lay the only railroad to the coast. It was completed only as far as
Tacoma, from which point they had to proceed by boat to Seattle. For many years Mr.
Scott followed the carpenter's trade and his first employer in Seattle was Clarence B.
Bagley, the editor of this history. For a short time he was engaged in the grocery business
and for ten years was employed as a ship joiner at the navy yard in Bremerton. About 1900
he purchased a small piece of acreage where his home now stands and this has since been
developed into one of the most beautiful sections of the city, overlooking Lake Wash-
ington and the mountains. On this property now stand several greenhouses and Mr. Scott
and his son are conducting an excellent business as florists under the firm style of George
W. Scott & Son. Their patronage is steadily growing and their trade has already assumed
gratifying proportions.

Mr. Scott belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic, holding membership in Stevens
Post, No. I. He is also identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Camp
No. 69 of the Woodmen of the World, and his wife is an honored member of Stevens
Corps, No. I, W. R. C, and of Palm Circle, No. 66, W. O. W. Both are now widely and
favorably known in Seattle, where they have made their home for almost three decades.
Arriving here before the fire, they have witnessed almost the entire growth and develop-
ment of the city and have ever manifested the keenest interest in its welfare and upbuilding.


Charles McGuire, one of the most accurate and capable of timber cruisers, having
been engaged in the business for more than twenty years, is now the representative of
the Menasha Woodenware Company of Menasha, Wisconsin, as general manager and
timber cruiser, buying and selling timber in the northwest. He makes his home in Seattle
and is an enthusiastic advocate of the city and the Sound country. He was born in St.
Genevieve county, Missouri, July 23, 1871, and is a son of Barton A. McGuire, a native of
Illinois, who was also a lumberman and won substantial success in that field of business.
He established and built the first sawmill in Idaho, near Moscow, and also had a very large
farm there, becoming a resident of that state in 1874. He spent the greater part of his
life in Idaho but died in Walla Walla, Washington, in 1909, at the age of seventy-one years.
He was always active in politics and served as territorial commissioner and as county
commissioner for a number of years. He was also a veteran of the Civil war, having
done active service at the front as a member of the Twenty-second Illinois Volunteer In-
fantry, with which he remained for three years and three months, participating in the
battles of Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain and Knoxville. He was with the Army of the
Cumberland in all of its operations and was twice wounded. He served as commander of
the Grand Army post of Moscow from its organization in 1885 to the time of his death
and was ever a loyal citizen, as true to his country in days of peace as in times of war. He
made the trip westward in 1871, driving across the country with teams to Idaho, and was
one of the honored pioneer settlers there, his efiforts contributing much to the development
and progress of the state in the early days. He married Sarah Elizabeth Dillman, a native
of Missouri, born in St. Genevieve county, and a daughter of John Dillman, one of the
early pioneers and successful farmers of that state. Mrs. McGuire passed away in Mos-
cow, Idaho, in 1891, at the age of fifty-one years, and is survived by four of her children,
the family originally numbering three sons and two daughters.

Charles McGuire, the third in order of birth, was educated in the public and high
schools of Moscow and spent his early life upon a farm and in the lumber mill of his


father, beginning work quite early. He labored in the fields and in the forest, driving an
ox team in the woods at logging. Starting in business for himself, he took a logging con-
tract near Moscow and afterward devoted two years to the livery business at that place.
He then sold out and turned his attention to stock raising in Whitman county, Washington,
near Texas Ferry, having two hundred and fifty head of horses and fifty head of cattle,
which he pastured upon the unlimited range. There he remained from 1894 ""til 1896,
after which he removed to southeastern Washington, becoming a resident of Asotin county
in 1898. There he engaged in stock raising and logging in connection with the Blue Moun-
tain Lumber Company for a number of years. Operations were conducted under the name
of the Farrish Mill & Logging Company and in 1903 Mr. McGuire removed to Spokane and
engaged in the lumber business in Idaho and eastern Washington until 1905, in which year
he entered the employ of Sheblin & Carpenter as a timber cruiser. Subsequently he was
transferred to the Milwaukee Railroad Company as timber cruiser, remaining with the
railroad until 1907. The next year he was engaged as expert timber inspector by the
United States government in Washington, Oregon and Alaska, filling that position for a
year, at the end of which time he became connected with the Menasha Woodenware Com-
pany, which he still represents as general manager and timber cruiser, buying and selling
in the northwest. He has spent over twenty years in timber cruising and has done work
of that character for the largest lumber companies in the west and northwest, being recog-
nized as an expert. He has represented the Haybrook Lumber Company, the Merrill Ring
and dozens of other lumber companies. At the present time he does no more cruising but
devotes all of his time and attention to the firm which he represents.

On the 15th of March, 1897, in Colfax, Washington, Mr. McGuire was united in mar-
riage to Miss Nettie Jasper, a native of Tillamook county, Oregon, and a daughter of
Thomas and Marie (Boothby) Jasper, who crossed the plains in a caravan in 1849. Both
are now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. McGuire have one son, Ralph, who was born in Anatone,
Washington, on the 6th of June, 1899. The family residence is at No. 1428 Thirty-sixth

In politics Mr. McGuire has ever been a stalwart republican. He was reared in the
faith of the Christian church and fraternally he is connected with the Red Men, the Royal
Arcanum, the Moose, the Foresters of America and the Knights and Ladies of Maccabees.
He belongs to that class of men who owe their success and advancement to hard work and
perseverance. He carefully and earnestly directed his labors from his boyhood to the
present and diligence and determination have gained for him the creditable place which
he occupies as a representative of the lumber interests of the northwest.


Dr. Carl Stockbridge Leede received his professional training under some of the most
eminent physicians and surgeons of the old world and, well qualified in his profession, has
met with notable success since coming to Seattle in September, 19T2. He is still a
young man but has already achieved professional prominence that many an older practi-
tioner might well envy. He was born in Washington, D. C, August 8, 1882, a son of
Julius Lecdc, a native of Germany, who on coming to America in 1870 settled in the nation's
capital. He was a successful mining engineer but his life's labors were terminated by death
in 1909, when he was but fifty-six years of age. His wife, who bore the maiden name of
Dora Bergmann, was born in Washington, D. C, of German parentage, and still resides
in her native city. She became the mother of two sons and a daughter, of whom the eldest,
Dr. William Hermann Leede, is a prominent physician and surgeon of Bremen, Germany.

Dr. Carl S. Leede attended the grammar schools of Minneapolis, Minnesota, to the
age of fourteen years, when he accompanied his brother. Dr. Hermann Leede, to Germany
and there entered the Imperial College at Osnabriick. He was graduated on the com-
pletion of the literary course in 1903, after which he went to Freiburg, Germany, to study
medicine, entering the University of Freiburg. He subsequently attended the University
of Gottingen in 1905. He then returned to America for a short visit, after which he again


went to Germany and entered the University of Berlin, where he pursued various courses
of study. Later he was a student in the University of Munich and was graduated in 1908,
winning the doctor's degree. He then located at Hamburg, where he entered the Eppen-

Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 86 of 142)