Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 89 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 89 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


city as one of its teachers. He was born in Clinton county, Indiana, on Christmas Day
of 1852, of the marriage of William and Rosannah Hollenbeck, who came of Pennsylvania
and Virginia ancestry. The Hollenbeck family is of German extraction and was founded
in America at an early day. The parents spent their entire lives upon a farm. They
accorded their son liberal educational advantages, his public-school course being supple-
mented by three years' work, from 1873 until 1876, in the University of Illinois. His initial
step in the business world was made as accountant in connection with the United States
government interior department, being stationed at the Indian reservation in Malheur, Ore-
gon, from 1876 to 1880. He took up the profession of teaching at the age of sixteen years
and followed it at intervals for a quarter of a century. The last nine years were devoted
to high school work, si.x of which were passed in Seattle, beginning in 1884. After leaving
his work as a teacher, he went into the printing and publishing business, which he continued
for fifteen years. His identification with the Klickitat Irrigation & Power Company began
in 190S and he is now secretary of this corporation which owns and controls one of the
important public utilities of the northwest. In his present position he displays excellent
executive power, combined with a thorough understanding of the possibilities of the busi-
ness and the opportunity for further development along lines not only of success but of
general usefulness as well.

In Seattle, in 1886, Mr. Hollenbeck was married to Miss .A.nna Lima Penfield, a daugh-
ter of Captain Norman K. and Fannie Penfield, of this city. Her ancestors were seafaring
people for several generations and her father was captain in numerous merchant ships
sailing the Atlantic. He served in the United States navy during the Civil war and came
to Seattle by way of the Isthmus route in 1874. His wife's sister. Miss Carrie Parsons, mar-



HISTORY OF SEATTLE ' 729

ried Dexter Horton. His three sons took to the sea but the Captain became identified with
the Dexter-Horton Bank and later was superintendent of the Seattle Gas Company, which
position he occupied until incapacitated for further business activity. Mr. and Mrs. Hollen-
beck became the parents of four cliildren ; Norman K., who married Elizabeth Spenceley,
of Grandview, Washington; Harrold W., who wedded Kathyrine Brackett, of Seattle;
and Horace and Helen, both at home.

In his student days Mr. Hollenbeck had three years' military training at the University
of Illinois and afterward spent three years in the service of the Washington State Militia.
In his political course he has followed the dictates of his judgment. He voted with the
republican party from 1873 until 1893 and afterward maintained an independent course
until 1908. He then became identified with the democratic party, which he has since sup-
ported. He is connected witli several fraternal organizations, having been an Odd Fellow
since 1874, a United Workman since 1886 and a member of the Ancient Order of Foresters
since 1888. Mr. Hollenbeck is well known as a man fearless in support of his honest con-
victions, nor is he hasty in forming his conclusions. In his business career he has made
each day count for the utmost, improving the opportunity of the hour and thus advancing
steadily until he today occupies a position of responsibility and importance in connection
with one of the leading utilities of the northwest.



ROBERT A. DEVERS.



Robert A. Devers, member of the Seattle bar, engaged in general practice yet specializ-
ing to some extent in corporation law, was born at Yankton, South Dakota, October 21,
1876, his parents being W. J. W. and Margaret (Irving) Devers. The father, a native of
Ireland, came to America after the Civil war and settled in New York city, where he was
connected with mercantile interests. In 1873 he removed to Yankton, South Dakota, and
liad charge of boats that ran between Sioux City and Fort Benton, Montana. He was very
active in politics but never sought nor desired public office. In the community where he
lived he was an influential figure and his death was a matter of deep and widespread
regret. His widow is a resident of Mitchell, South Dakota.

Robert A. Devers completed his more specifically literary education in South Dakota
University, from which he was graduated with the class of 1897, after having completed
the high school course at Tyndall, that state. He then entered upon preparation for the bar
as a law student in the Southern Normal University, from which he was graduated with
the LL. B. degree in 1900; His first professional activity, however, was in the field of
teaching, to which he devoted two years, and he also engaged in newspaper editing and
publishing for a similar period. He was the owner of the News of Tyndall, South Dakota,
and he also edited the Mitchell Daily Republican of Mitchell, South Dakota, for a part of
two years. He has been engaged in law practice for thirteen years, entering upon the work
of the profession at Parkston, South Dakota, whence he removed to Seattle in June, 1902.
He has largely been engaged in the practice of corporation law and was instrumental in
having declared unconstitutional the Duwamish waterway law. He has been connected with
much other important litigation and his practice is now large and of a distinctively repre-
sentative character.

On the 14th of May, 1902, in Mitchell, South Dakota, Mr. Devers was united in mar-
riage to Miss Izora :Mae Glenn, a daughter of Washington Gleim, representing an old
South Dakota family. To them have been born four children, namely : Izora De Ette,
Margaret Kathryn, Dorothy Mae and Marjory Helen.

Fraternally Mr. Devers is identified with the Knights of Pythias and the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, while his religious faith is that of the Methodist Episcopal church.
He also belongs to the Seattle Commercial Club and has served as a member of its board
of directors for two terms. In his political views Mr. Devers is a republican but not an
office seeker. However, he is deeply interested in civic matters and cooperates in many
movements that are of direct benefit and value to his city. He purchased his home the
day he arrived in Seattle, well satisfied with the city, and he has never regretted the step



730 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

that he took upon removing to the northwest. He puts forth every possible effort to further
the vifelfare and progress of Seattle and his labors have been directly beneficial. He is a
man of resolute purpose, his determined character being shown in the way in which he
secured his education, earning the money that enabled him to pay his tuition and expenses
during his university days. Strong and purposeful, his efforts being directed along con-
stantly broadening lines of greater usefulness, he has become one of the valued citizens
of the northwest.



EARL PORTER JAMISON.

Watchful of the opportunities pointing toward success in his chosen line of business,
Earl Porter Jamison, handling iron and steel railway equipment, has made for himself a
place among the representative business men of Seattle. He was born in Waseca, Minne-
sota, January 24, 1879, a son of Alexander Porter and Arzelia (Hardin) Jamison. He
supplemented a public-school training by study in Monmouth College at Monmouth, Illi-
nois, and by a course in the University of Minnesota. His identification with Seattle dates
from 1899, and turning his attention to the iron and steel railway equipment business, he
has demonstrated his ability and resourcefulness by the manner in which he has handled
his interests. Studying every phase of the business, watching the changes and developments
of trade conditions, he has so directed his efforts that he has won the substantial success
which is the legitimate reward of persistency of purpose and intelligently directed effort.

On the 22d of February, 1908, in Seattle, Mr. Jamison was united in marriage to Miss
Gene Graham, a daughter of A. B. Graham, of this city, of whom extended mention is
made elsewhere in this work. Mrs. Jamison is a graduate of the Annie Wright Seminary
of Tacoma and of the National Park Seminary at Forest Glen, Maryland. Mr. and Mrs.
Jamison have a daughter, Mary Gene. They are well known in social circles of the city
and both hold membership in the Seattle Golf and Country Club, while Mrs. Jamison is
also a member of the Sunset Club. Mr. Jamison is likewise identified with the Rainier
Club, the University Club and the Arctic Club and is a member of the Chamber of Com-
merce, in which organization he is found as an active cooperant in all those measures
which tend to advance the interests of the city in its business connections and its welfare
along various other lines.



GEORGE R. MARTIN.



George R. Martin, the vice president of the Martin & Severyns Company, has during
the period of his residence in Seattle and in fact throughout the entire period of his busi-
ness career been actively identified with financial interests. He was born in Jacksonville,
Illinois, April i, 1884, and while spending his youthful days in the home of his father,
Robert Vincent Martin, he attended the public and high schools, pursuing his studies until
1902. He then left Jacksonville for Chicago, where he entered the University of Chicago,
remaining in that institution until 1905. in which year he crossed the threshold of business
life by securing the position of messenger with the Merchants Loan & Trust Company of
that city. He thus served for a year and later became manager of the transit department
of the Live Stock Exchange National Bank, which position he acceptably filled until 1908.
While thus engaged he was made a delegate from the Chicago Chapter of the American
Institute of Banking to attend the national convention held in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

The year 1908 witnessed the arrival of Mr. Martin in Seattle and, entering the Seattle
National Bank, he was made collection teller in charge of the collateral securities and was
also at the head of the publicity department until 1913. He withdrew from that connection
to embark in business on his own account and organized the Martin & Severyns Company,
of which he is the vice president. This company deals in stocks and bonds and the mem-
bers have become well known as investment brokers of the city.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 731

Mr. Martin is identified with a college fraternity, the Sigma Nu. He gives his political
allegiance to the democratic party and he is numbered as one of the progressive members
of the Commercial Club. That he is deeply interested in Seattle and its welfare was
plainly evidenced in an article from his pen which he prepared for the Bankers' Magazine
of New York, appearing in the September issue before the national convention of bankers
was held in this city. The article, entitled "Seattle, a World Port and Financial Center,"
was well handled from a literary standpoint and presented various wisely chosen illus-
trations. The subject of Seattle, her business enterprises, her beautiful homes and fine
parks was treated most thoroughly and entertainingly by the writer and contained many
vital facts of great value to the hundreds of bankers and financiers who met in conven-
tion here. His article was given first position in the magazine and was made the subject
for the cover design. Beginning with the Panama Canal in its relation to the Pacific coast
country, Mr. Martin showed the commercial importance of Seattle in its relation to the
world trade, and every fact which he cited is substantiated by statistics. He also spoke
of the scenic beauties of the city, its parks and playgrounds and its many attractions for
the tourist and also gave evidence of the importance of the city in relation to the Alaska
trade. Mr. Martin is a young man thoroughly wide-aw-ake, alert and energetic and while
developing his private business interests is also mindful of the opportunities which he has
to further Seattle's growth.



JOHN LESTER McLEAN.



John Lester McLean, secretary of 1915 of the executive committee of Nile Temple,
A. A. O. N. M. S., is one of the prominent Masons of Seattle, popular in the order, the
basic principles of which he exemplifies in his life. He was born May 14. 1871, at Bowling
Green, Pike county, Missouri, a son of William D. and Laura (Mosley) McLean. The
father was a wholesale and retail grocer of St. Louis and of Louisiana, Missouri, and
retired about 1902 but still makes his home in St. Louis. His mother, however, passed
away about 1883. The father served throughout the Civil war as a member of the Union
army, volunteering as a private but winning promotion to the rank of first lieutenant. He
also held other important and responsible positions, including that of chief clerk in the
provost marshal's office and he had many narrow escapes during the war. On two occasions
his horse was shot from under him and at one time he was captured and held as a prisoner
at Andersonville. He was born in Scotland and came from a very sturdy family that
emigrated to America about 1857. settling in Canada. His wife, however, was American
born, belonging to an old Virginia family, representatives of which removed from the old
Dominion to St. Louis, Missouri.

Mr. and Mrs. McLean became parents of seven children, four sons and three daugh-
ters, of whom five are living and of whom John Lester McLean is the second in order of
birth. His early education was acquired in the public schools, after which he attended
Pike County College at Bowling Green, Missouri. He started in business life as a clerk
for his uncle, Thomas K. McLean, a prominent railroad contractor, building branch lines
throughout the state of Kansas for the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company. Later he was
employed as bookkeeper, cashier and assistant superintendent of the Wichita Kansas Street
Railway System and subsequently went to Denver, Colorado, where he was chief dis-
patcher of the Denver Tramway Company for several years, or from 1889 until 1S95, pro-
moting a system of car dispatching. During that period he was sent by the company to
Portland. Oregon, to install his telephonic method of dispatching street cars. In 1894 he
made a trip to New York city, covering a period of eight months spent in organizing the
American Car Dispatching Company in conjunction with Patrick Eagan, formerly United
States minister to Chile under the Harrison administration and T. Callahan, inventor of the
stock ticker. In the beginning of the year 1896 he Jiad a special call to Los .A.ngeles, Cali-
fornia, where he also installed a street car dispatching system for the Los Angeles Rail-
way Company, after which he was appointed superintendent of the system and remained
in that city until the spring of 1898. Feeling that he needed a rest he then took a vaca-



732 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

tion, visiting his father at the old home iu Louisiana, Missouri. Attracted by the gold
discoveries he later started for the northwest, expecting to join the gold rush to Alaska
in 189S, but while in Portland, Oregon, he was induced by his former business associates
and friends to accept a position as ' purchasing agent and financial man for the Pacific
Bridge Company, of Oregon and California that had just been awarded the contract for
-building Seattle's Cedar river water system, with offices in Seattle. After the consolida-
tion of the various independent street railway lines of this city he installed his system of
telephonic dispatching, which has been continued to the present time. During the period
that he was with the company he was sent to open the Seattle-Tacoma Interurban System.
Later he returned to the Seattle Electric Company, with which he served in various capaci-
ties in the operating department of the company. Subsequently he resigned and engaged
in the real estate business until 190S. at which time he was appointed chief accountant in
the city treasury department under Colonel William F. Prosser, there continuing until
igio, at which time he was appointed to the office of chief deputy by Ed L. Ferry, who at
that time was city treasurer. He remained in the office until February, 1913, when he
resigned to accept the position of cashier of the National City Bank of Seattle, with which
institution he was associated for about a year, when he resigned to take over the manage-
ment of the J. D. Frenholme mayoralty campaign. When that work was concluded he
entered upon a vigorous campaign to bring to the city of Seattle the great Shrine conven-
tion, one of the greatest in the United States, which was held in this city in Jul}', 1915.
The street parades were viewed by more than a quarter million people and pronounced to
be the greatest event ever witnessed in the city of Seattle.

Mr. AIcLean is both a York Rite and Scottish Rite Mason and a past potentate of Nile
Temple of Seattle. He is also a member of the Masonic board, having in charge the erec-
tion of the new Masonic Temple of this city. He was also the organizer of the famous
Shrine Band of Nile Temple numbering forty pieces. In politics Mr. McLean has always
been a republican, taking an active part in the work of the party and doing everything in
his power to further its success in connection with municipal, state and national affairs.

On the 31st of August, 1904, Mr. McLean was married in Seattle to Miss Birdie M.
Anderson, a daughter of James and Caroline Anderson. Her father was a merchant of
Seattle for several years and for a number of years has been connected with the treasury
department of the city. To Mr. and Mrs. McLean has been born a daughter, Laura Muriel,
now in her tenth year. Since first coming to this city Mr. McLean has had the greatest
love for Seattle, appreciating her climate and her opportunities and her many excellent ad-
vantages. He has labored untiringly to advance the public welfare and his work has ever
been of a nature that has largely touched the general interests of society. He has splendid
powers of organization and executive force, keen discrimination and unfaltering energy
and it is well known that he carries forward to successful completion whatever he un-
dertakes.



GEORGE W. WARD.



There are various reasons why George W. Ward should be mentioned in a history of
Seattle. He was not only a pioneer resident here but was an active and leading business
man for many years and, moreover, exerted a strongly felt influence on the moral develop-
ment of the community, being for four decades a deacon in the Baptist church. New York
claimed him as a native son, for he was born in Cattaraugus county, March 23, 1838. He
came of English and Irish ancestry, the family being founded in America during the
colonial epoch in the history of the countrj-, his grandfather having served as a soldier
in the Revolutionary war. He was born in Massachusetts, as was his son, C. H. Ward, and
after the removal of the family to Cattaraugus county. New York, the latter was united
in marriage to Miss Mary Hofstadter. In 1854 the family became residents of Illinois and
as members of the Baptist church Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Ward took an active interest in the
moral development of the community. His life was devoted to mechanical pursuits and
he passed away in Chicago in his seventy-seventh year, while his wife died at the age of
forty-five years. Their family numbered two sons and two daughters, of whom William H.




GEORGE W. WARD



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 735

liecame a resident of Snohomish, Washington. Mary E. is the wife of C. E. Brown,
of Seattle.

The third member of the family to become a resident of this state was George W.
Ward, who after attending the public schools of Illinois took up the insurance business,
which lie there followed for a number of years. He was married in early manhood to
Miss Louise Van Doren, a daughter of C. M. Van Doren, a representative of an old .Amer-
ican family. They became the parents of two children, who were born in Illinois, Arthur C.
and Susie E., while a daughter, Malile V., was born following the removal of the family to
Seattle. The son wedded Helen McRae and they became the parents of two children,
H. Loring and Lenore. The elder daughter married Henry D. Temple and has a son,
Cecil O. The younger daughter became the wife of W. M. Olney, of Seattle, and they
have five children, Doris M., Lucile, Lawrence V., .'Vrthur L. and \'irginia L.

Mr. Ward continued a resident of Illinois until 1871, when he brought his family to
Washington and for two and a half years resided upon a farm sixteen miles south of
Seattle. Wishing to give his cliildren the benefit of the educational advantages offered
by city schools, he removed to Seattle and turned his attention to contracting and building,
also engaging in the manufacture of sash and doors. After five years devoted to industrial
pursuits he turned his attention to the real estate, insurance and loan business as a partner
of William H. Llewellyn. His business aflfairs were carefully and systematically managed
and in the control of his interests he displayed marked ability and enterprise. In his
vocabulary there was no such word as fail and his persistency of purpose and intelligent
direction of his investments brought to him gratifying success.

Mr. Ward never allowed the pursuits of business, however, to warp his kindly nature
nor so monopolize his interest that he had no time for activity along lines relating to
municipal progress or to moral development. He stood for high ideals in citizenship and
with firm belief in the value of republican principles supported that party and its candi-
dates. For a number of years he filled the office of justice of the peace and his decisions
were strictly fair and impartial. He was perhaps best known and best loved, however,
through his church relations. He continued throughout the greater part of his life a most
active and earnest Christian worker, serving for forty years as a deacon in the Baptist
church. Both, he and his wife were active in the Baptist Japanese mission for twenty years.
He guided his life by the teachings of Christianity and yet made no parade of his religion,
neither was there about him a shadow of mock modesty. He was a man true in all things,
respected and honored because his life merited the honor that was universally accorded
him. He passed away in Seattle September 24, 1913.



PACIFIC AMMONIA AND CHEMICAL COMPANY.

The Pacific Ammonia and Chemical Company, of which Robert P. Greer is the general
manager, established its plant in Seattle in 1908, following the destruction of their San
Francisco plant by fire during the earthquake of 1906. They are large producers of am-
monia used for refrigerating machines and the trade has quickly recognized the exceptional
purity of the company's products and their unequaled facilities for manufacturing and
shipping. The plant of the company is now an extensive one, situated on Lake Union at
the foot of Blewett avenue. In 1914 the company built its factory extensions and installed
the most recent improvements and innovations in ammonia manufacture. They have a
branch warehouse in San Francisco and concentrating plants in Tacoma, Bellingham,
Spokane and Aberdeen. They supply much of the trade on the entire Pacific coast from
Alaska to South America and also make extensive shipments to the orient.

Mr. Greer has been manager of the business since 1901 and the success of the under-
taking is largely attributable to his efforts. All of the ammonia produced in the United
States is obtained from ammoniacal liquors resulting from the distillation of coal, which
liquor is used principally in the manufacture of sulphate of ammonia and aqua ammonia.
The process employed by the Pacific Ammonia and Chemical Company represents the
experience of chemists through more than thirty years. The rapid growth of the fish



736 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

freezing industry as well as other branches of business on the Pacific coast where ammonia
refrigeration is employed make the maintenance of a supply of pure ammonia on the
western coast essential. Moreover, the plant has excellent shipping facilities both by rail
and water. It is situated on Lake Union, in the heart of Seattle, and the low temperature
of the lake water for condensing purposes is one of great advantage. The plant has a
capacity of five million pounds of 26° aqua ammonia and one million pounds of anhydrous
ammonia per annum. In order to readily meet the demand of its trade the company in
addition to having concentrating plants in the cities above mentioned has established stock



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 89 of 142)