Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 9 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 9 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Street Railway, so remaining until the fall of 1906. when he was promoted to superintendent
and thus served until January, 1910.

At that dale Mr. Richardson came to the northwest, Seattle being his destination, and
his previous training and ability secured for him the position of assistant superintendent
of transportation of the Puget Sound Traction, Light & Power Company. He served in
that capacity for ten months and in November, 1910, was made superintendent of the
transportation department, while on the 1st of November, 1912, he was advanced to the
superintendency of railways. In this connection he is in charge of the whole car system,
employing fifteen hundred people and operating four hundred and ninety-nine passengers
and freight cars over two hundred miles of track within the city limits. His position,
therefore, is one of great importance and responsibility. His previous connection with
railroad work in all the different capacities well qualified him for his present duties and
he has been found equal to the occasion, ready to meet any emergencj- and capable of
coordinating seemingly diverse elements into a unified and harmonious whole.

In November, igo8. in Wichita, Kansas, Mr. Richardson was united in marriage to
Miss Frances Putnam, and they became the parents of two children, Martha and Robert.
In his political views Mr. Richardson is a stalwart republican but without aspiration for
office. He belongs to the Arctic Club and to the Chamber of Commerce, and, although he
has been a resident of Seattle for only a brief period, he has become thoroughly identified
with the spirit and the purposes of the northwest, realizing the wonderful opportunities
of the country and putting forth every effort to achieve the utmost in the development
and upbuilding of his adopted city.



WILLIAM ROBERT INGE DALTON. M. D.

Dr. W. R. Inge Dalton, practicing in Seattle, has as the result of broad investigation
and research, of wide study and of liberal experience in practice gained a position among
the eminent representatives of his profession in the northwest, while his name is known
in medical circles throughout the entire country. He was born in Livingston, Alabama,
December 6, 1841, a son of Dr. Robert Hunter Dalton and a grandson of General Robert



68 ■ HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Hunter, of Revolutionary fame, a magnificent statue of whom is to be seen in Raleigh,
North Carolina. Dr. Robert H. Dalton was one of the chief surgeons of the Confederate
army, serving under General Stonewall Jackson. He wedded Jane Martin, a great-grand-
daughter of Governor Martin, of North Carolina, who served for three terms as chief
executive of that state, and a granddaughter of Colonel Henderson, who won his title
by service in the Revolutionary war.

Dr. W. R. Inge Dalton was appointed to the United States Naval Academy in 1859
but resigned at the beginning of the Civil war and entered the Confederate navy, with which
he served throughout the entire period of hostilities between the north and the south. He
was engaged principally in bearing dispatches to London and Paris but was present at the
battles of New Orleans, Mobile, Drewry Bluff and others. He maintains pleasant associa-
tions with his old army comrades through his membership in John B. Gordon Camp, No.
1546, Confederate Veterans, of which he is the present commander. His naval experience
also covers a month's service in the Peruvian navy and four months in the Brazilian navy.

Dr. Dalton entered upon the study and practice of medicine in Virginia, beginning his
preparation for the profession there in 1866. In 1884 he was graduated from the St. Louis
College of Physicians and Surgeons and engaged in the practice of his profession in New
York city until 1903, when he came to Seattle. Here he has since continued and the promi-
nence which he had already won soon gained for him a position of distinction among the
members of the medical profession of the northwest. While in New York he was profes-
sor of dermatology and syphilology in the New Y'ork School of Clinical Medicine and was
dermatologist and syphilographist to the Metropolitan Hospital and the West Side German
Dispensary. He has written largely along the line of his specialty, skin diseases, and is the
author of a work entitled "Hyper-Acidity : a Cause of Skin Diseases ;" and another work
entitled "The Responsibility for Recent Deaths." He has also written a little volume under
the name of "Reminiscences" and he has been a frequent and valued contributor to various
medical journals.

Dr. Dalton has been married twice. On the 2d of April, 1867, he wedded Hattie Ursula
Walker, of Wentzville, Missouri, and on the 19th of January, 1907, Helen Louise Hillebrand,
of Honolulu, Hawaii, became his wife. Dr. Dalton has had two children. Mary Louise,
who inaugurated flag day, the 14th of June, died in St. Louis, Missouri, in 1907 and was
buried on flag day, the services being conducted by the Grand Army of the Republic
and the Confederate Veterans at Wentzville. The son, Warren R., is an attorney at law
now practicing at Wentzville.

In his political views Dr. Dalton has always been a stalwart democrat but never an
aspirant for office. As a Mason he belongs to Dan River Lodge, No. 129, F. & A. M.,
of North Carolina. He is a representative of many prominent clubs of the east and he
belongs to the University Congregational church, of which Dr. H. C. Mason is the pastor.
Along strictly professional lines his membership was with the New York City and County
Medical association, the New York State Medical Association and the American Medical
Association and he is now president of the American Medico-Pharmaceutical League.



REV. WILLIAM ALEXANDER MAJOR, D.D.

The builders of a city or state are not alone those who conquer the wilderness or
establish and develop commercial or industrial institutions but those who work for the
moral advancement of a community, who preach by word and deed the supremacy of
righteousness and justice over all desires and ambitions and who strive to cause Christianity
to prevail in our modern life are also builders and no work is more important than theirs.
Such a man is Rev. William Alexander Major, who was for two decades pastor of the
Bethany Presbyterian church of Seattle and who is now filling the important position of
field man for the Presbytery of Seattle. He is well known in church circles in the northwest
and has been a potent influence in the development of the finer things of life in the civilization
of this section.

Dr. Major was born in Pleasant Grove, Ohio, on the 20th of April. 1861, a son of




RE\-. WILLIAM A. MAJOR. D.D.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 71

John Alexander and Mary A. Major, who resided on a farm in Belmont county, Ohio.
The father was of Scotch-Irish descent and was a devoted member of the Presbyterian
cliurch. Throughout his life he stood for the best and highest in business, education and
religion. He passed away in 1885 but is survived by his widow, who is residing at the
old home and who has reached her eighty-seventh year.

Dr. Major received his early education in the public schools and later attended suc-
cessively Franklin College at New Athens, Ohio, from which he was graduated in 1884 ;
the Union Theological Seminary at New York city ; and Lane Theological Seminary, from
which he was graduated in May, 1887. In that year Franklin College conferred upon him
the degree of Master of Arts and in 1898 that institution made him Doctor of Divinity.
His first pastorate was in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he organized the Calvary Presbyterian
church. After remaining in charge for six years, during which time the church edifice
was erected, he resigned and accepted a call to the Second Presbyterian church of Seattle,
which is now known as Bethany church. He remained the pastor of that church for two
decades, the length of his connection with it proving beyond a doubt his efficiency and
popularity. He was recognized as one of the leaders in religious work in Seattle and took
a prominent part in many movements seeking the moral and spiritual advancement of the
city. He secured the full cooperation of his congregation in the furtherance of any
worthy cause and Bethany church became a power for righteousness. He is now field
man for the Presbytery of Seattle and in that connection is accomplishing much work of
importance. In October, i8q8, he was moderator of the synod of Washington which con-
vened in Spokane. He preached the sermon as retiring moderator on the steamship City
of Seattle, while sailing in Alaska waters, the steamer having been chartered for the use
of the Presbyterian ministers who at that time visited the Presbyterian mission stations
in southwestern Alaska.

Dr. Major was married on the 9th of June, 1887, at New Athens, Ohio, to Miss Emma
L. Day, a daughter of James Day, D. D., and Mrs. Isabella Day, of New Athens, Ohio.
Dr. Day was a pioneer in that town and owned the first oil lamp, the first sewing machine
and the first organ in his community. He was an ardent republican and quite prominent
in public affairs, representing his district in the Ohio legislature for two terms. His wife
was a relative of Martha Washington. They were the parents of ten children, of whom
Mrs. Major is the youngest. By her marriage she has become the mother of two sons,
Ralph Day and Archie Moyer.

Dr. Major is widely known in fraternal and club circles, belonging to the Masonic
blue lodge, the Royal Arch chapter, the various Scottish Rite bodies, having taken the
tliirty-second degree, Nile Temple of the Mystic Shrine, and to the Benevolent Protective
Order of Elks, the Arctic Club and the Rotary Club. His intimate knowledge of conditions
in Seattle and his recognition of the needs of the city led to his election as a member of the
charter revision committee in March, 1914, and he proved a most efficient member of that
body. His undoubted sincerity, his marked public spirit and his ability have gained him the
esteem of his fellow citizens, irrespective of their religious affiliations, and his personal
friends, who are found in all walks of life, hold him in the warmest regard.



WILLIAM HENRY BEATTY.

William Henry Beatty, enjoying a fine law practice in Seattle, was born January 14,
1874, at Fort Dodge, Iowa, his parents being James and Mary Anne (Brown) Beatty.
Tliey became pioneer residents of Washington, settling at Ferndale in 1877, and the father,
who has devoted his life to agricultural pursuits, is still living upon the old home farm,
but the mother passed away in 1884. The family comes of Scotch-Irish ancestry. Upon
tlie home farm with the father are two of his sons, David and James, and a daughter,
Mrs. Margaret Beatty McCourt.

William Henry Beatty is not only a self-made but a self-educated man — that is, he
lias through his own efforts provided the means whereby he has been enabled to continue
his education in the higher institutions of learning. He attended successively the Denny



72 ■ HISTORY OF SEATTLE

grammar school, the Central high school at Sixth and Madison and the University of
Washington, from which he was graduated in 1896 with the Bachelor of Arts degree.
Still later, in preparation for a professional career, he entered the Harvard Law School
and is numbered among its alumni of 1900. An eminent financier has said : "If you would
win success, you must be willing to pay the price of it, the price of earnest, self-denying
labor." This Mr. Beatty did. He arrived in Seattle in 1888, when a youth of but fourteen
years, and started out to earn his own living, working first as a newsboy and carrier and
later in the mailing room of the Post-Intelligencer. His ambition to secure an education
prompted him to put forth the most earnest effort and, as previously stated, he made his
way through the schools mentioned. Following his graduation he went to Alaska, where
he tried mining, but the success which attended his efforts was not sufficient to encourage
him to continue in that work. Accordingly he returned to Seattle, was admitted to practice
at the Washington bar in 1902 and since 1906 has continuously followed his profession.
He has no partner but has built up an excellent general law practice and his clientage
today, both in volume and importance, is a most creditable and enviable one. The thorough-
ness with which he prepared for life's responsible duties has characterized all of his profes-
sional activity and made him one of the strong and forceful members of the Seattle bar.

In his political belief Mr. Beatty is a republican, while his religious faith is evidenced
in his membership in the Plymouth Congregational church. Fraternally he is a Mason-
and he is identified with various clubs and societies. As an honor man of the University
of Washington he was elected to the Phi Beta Kappa, and he is a member of the Seattle
Athletic Club, the Harvard Club and the Seattle Yacht Club.



WILLIAM BREMER.



William Bremer, deceased, figured as one of the foremost real estate dealers of the
Pacific northwest, and Bremerton, in Kitsap county, stands as a monument to his enter-
prise and business ability, he having platted the town in 1891. This is but one of the
tangible evidences of his well spent life and intelligently directed effort.

Mr. Bremer was born on the I3th of June, 1863, in Seesen, in the duchy of Brunswick,
Germany, and his life record covered the intervening years to the 28th of December, 1910,
when he passed to the home beyond. His parents were Edward and Matilda (Mader)
Bremer, the former engaged in the banking business.

The son was educated in Jacobson Institute, and in his youth became identified with
the banking business, which he learned in principle and detail. After considerable connec-
tion with a banking house in his native town he removed to the city of Hamburg, where
he was identified with bankjng interests for two years and then came to America. He
engaged in agricultural pursuits in South Dakota until 1888 when he came to Washington,
where he became one of the active and extensive operators in real estate. With notable
prescience he foresaw the development of the northwest and realized that there was
destined to spring up a great empire in this part of the country. His activities were care-
fully directed and from that time until his death he engaged in the real estate business.
In 1891 he platted the town of Bremerton in Kitsap county, where are found the only dry
docks on the Pacific coast that will accommodate the largest war vessels. He sold to the
federal government eighty acres of land at fifty dollars per acre to insure the location
of a naval station at that point and a more desirable location for the navy yard on Puget
Sound could not be found. Because of the low price he put upon the land, however, he lost
forty-three hundred dollars in the immediate transaction but he always believed that the
sale was a politic one, as it indirectly led to the promotion of his individual success and
also contributed largely to the growth and development of the city. He was also a director
of the First National Bank of Bremerton and the enterprise and diligence which he mani-
fested in the conduct of his real estate business brought him substantial, gratifying and
well merited return.-

On the 25th of March, 1891, in Seattle, Air. Bremer was united in marriage to Miss
Sophia Hensel, who was born in Portage, Wisconsin, a daughter of William Hensel, who



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 73

became a well known business man of Seattle. Three children have blessed this marriage,
Matilda, William and Edward.

In his political views Mr. Bremer was an earnest republican but not an office seeker.
He became a life member of the Arctic Club and he belonged also to the Rainier Club
and to the Seattle Golf and Country Club. He was public spirited and he took a genuine
and deep-rooted interest in public afifairs, cooperating heartily in many measures from
which he expected to derive no personal benefit.



FREDERICK C. PARKER, M. D.

Dr. Frederick C. Parker, engaged in general medical practice in Seattle, is a self-
educated, self-made man who deserves much credit for attaining to his present enviable
position in professional circles. He was born in New York city, August 21, 1870, and is
a representative of an old New England family founded in America during the colonial
epoch in the history of the country. Among his ancestors were those who fought in the
Revolutionary war and in the War of 1812. His father, Charles Francis Parker, is a vet-
eran of the Civil war. He is a native of Maine and after the outbreak of hostilities with
the south joined a Maine volunteer regiment, with which he served for three years, begin-
ning in 1862. He is now living retired in Kansas. His wife, who bore the maiden nams
of Sarah Wells Fuller, is a native of Vermont and also resides in Kansas. She, too, rep«
resents one of the early American families.

Dr. Parker is the eldest of three sons and following the removal of the family from
the east to southern Kansas acquired his education in the public and high schools of thaf
state. He also attended the University of Chicago and in preparation for a professionai
career entered the medical department of the Illinois State University, from which he wai
graduated with the M. D. degree in 1910. Prior to that time he engaged in the drug busi-
ness in Oak Park, a suburb of Chicago, from 1888 until 1910 and was very successful
After completing his medical course he disposed of his drug store and removed to Seattle
where during his first year's residence he was appointed city physician. During two yean
of his college work he served as an interne at the Home for Destitute Crippled Children
in Chicago and thus added to his theoretical knowledge practical training and skill. In
191 1 he resigned his position as resident physician of the Seattle City Hospital and entered
upon the private practice of his profession, in which he has since been successfully engaged.

On the 26th of April, 1895, in Columbus, Oliio, Dr. Parker was united in marriage to
Miss Nannie Coffman, a native of Louisville, Kentucky. Dr. Parker belongs to Ionic
Lodge, No. 90, F. & A. M., of Seattle, while his professional connections are with the
King County, North Side, State and American Medical Associations. He deserves much
credit for wliat he has accomplished, for from the age of eleven years he has been depend-
ent upon his own resources for education and for all the material things of life. Ambitious
to advance, he put forth persistent, earnest effort, wisely utilizing his time, talent and
opportunities, and as the years have gone on he has gained recognition as one of the rep-
resentative medical and surgical practitioners of his adopted city. His life record might
well serve as the text of a valuable lesson.



FRANK H. KILBOURNE.



frank H. Kilbourne is at the head of the Cascade Laundry, one of the largest enter-
prises of the kind in Seattle, utilizing thirty thousand square feet of floor space in the
conduct of the business. He is now enjoying a substantial measure of success and to his
present position has worked his way steadily upward from a humble place in business circles.
He was born in St. Johnsbury, Vermont, in November, 1858, a son of E. H. Kilbourne.
His parents removed to Aurora, Illinois, in 1859. and he was therefore reared and educated
in the middle west, attending the public and high schools of that city. Following his



74 ' HISTORY OF SEATTLE

graduation he removed still farther west, becoming a resident of Sheridan, Wyoming, where
he engaged in stock-raising for ten years. On, the expiration of that decade he came to
Seattle and became collector with the Old Home Electric Light Company. His ability won
him promotion to the position of manager. In 1895 he took charge of the Cascade
Laundry, which he had purchased in 1894, and which had been established in 1888 by
Henry Stummer. The business was located at No. 807 First avenue and in 1900 the present
company erected a three-story building with basement at No. 38 Main, where they have
thirty thousand square feet of floor space and the plant is equipped with all modern
machinery which gives them the best methods of handling laundry. At No. 817 Second
avenue is a branch office which is used exclusively as a bundle office. At the outset they
employed thirty people and today on their payroll the names of one hundred and sixty
people are found. They operate seventeen wagons in collection and delivery and theirs
is a most extensive enterprise. It was incorporated in 1898, at which time Mr. Kilbourne
was elected president.

While preeminently a business man, concentrating his efforts upon his industrial
interests, Mr. Kilbourne is known in social circles as a genial gentleman, always compan-
ionable. He belongs to the Arctic Club and the Seattle Athletic Club. His political
allegiance is given to the republican party, but the honors and emoluments of office have
no attraction for him. His business record is most creditable, for through persistent
effort, keen insight, unfailing energy and ability, he has worked his way steadily upward
until he has reached the plane of prosperity.



MAURICE McMICKEN.



With the practice of law in Seattle Maurice McMicken has been continuously con-
nected since 1881 and gradually has advanced to a position of leadership. For a number
of years he has been accorded a place of prominence in the legal profession, his ability
being attested by the high regard of his colleagues and contemporaries. A native of
Minnesota, he was born in Dodge county, October 12, i860, his parents being General
William and Rowena J. (Ostrander) McMicken. The father, who was long a resident
of Olympia, Washington, was of Scotch lineage, while the mother was descended from
ancestors who early settled in New England and Pennsylvania. The parents removed
to the northwest when their son Maurice was a lad of thirteen years. General McMicken
had already been employed for a year or more on the building of the Northern Pacific
Railroad between Kalama and Tacoma and had become surveyor general of the territory,
with residence in Olympia. He was joined by his family, and the son, who had begun
his education in the public schools of Minnesota, continued his studies in Olympia. In
1877 he became a student in the University of California at Berkeley with the class of
1881. A review of the broad field of business, with its countless avenues and oppor-
tunities, led him to the decision of making the study and practice of law his life work
and for some time he read in the office of Dolph, Bronaugh, Dolph & Simon in Portland,
Oregon.

The late fall of 1881 witnessed the arrival of Mr. McMicken in Seattle and at that
time he became a law clerk in the office of Struve & Haines, prominent attorneys, the
firm being composed of Judge H. G. Struve and J. C. Haines. Thorough preliminary
reading prepared Mr. McMicken for admission to the bar in July, 1882, and that he had
won the regard of his former preceptors is indicated in the fact that he was admitted
to partnership on the 1st of July, 1883, under the firm name of Struve, Haines &
McMicken. That relation was maintained until 1890, when Colonel Haines withdrew
to become attorney for the Oregon Improvement Company, and the firm became Struve
& McMicken. Up to that time Mr. Struve had been employed almost exclusively as
counsel by the firm's clients, while Colonel Haines had attended to the work of the
courts. Mr. McMicken also devoted his attention to office practice, but as there was
necessity for some one to care for the court work of the firm they employed other
lawyers from time to time, one of these being E. C. Hughes, who was then a member of




MAURICE McMICKEN



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 77

the firm of Hughes, Hastings & Stedman. As time passed a constantly increasing share
of the court work was sent to him. Senator John B. Allen, after failing of reelection
in February, 1893, decided to remove from Walla Walla to Seattle and on the 1st of
October of that year there was a new partnership formed under the style of Struve,
Allen, Hughes & McMicken, the existence of the firm continuing uninterruptedly until
the death of Senator Allen in February, 1905. Soon afterward Judge Struve withdrew
and with the admission of two new members the firm style of Hughes, McMicken, Dovell
& Ramsey was adopted. In all these different partnership relations Mr. McMicken has
enjoyed a large clientage, that has placed him with the eminent lawyers of the state.
He is ready and resourceful, thoroughly knows the law and in its application is seldom,



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 9 of 142)