Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 92 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 92 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


erected many residences and other buildings in Seattle and her activities have contributed
much to the development of the city. She is deeply interested in all that pertains to the
improvement and upbuilding of Seattle and is characterized by marked public spirit. The
business which she established fifteen years ago is still growing and is one of the important
real estate concerns of the city.

Mrs. Underwood has two daughters: Mrs. Julia U. Bonnor, whose husband is now in
the real estate office with Mrs. Underwood; and Nellie, the w'ife of C. L. Hartman, of
Prosser, Washington.



ROBERT KNIPE.



During the years of his active connection with business affairs in Seattle, Robert Knipe,
now deceased, largely gave his attention to real estate dealing and handled a considerable
amount of property. He established his home in this city in 187S, when it was a straggling
western frontier village. He came to the Sound country from Eau Claire, Wisconsin, and
first engaged in cutting and hauling wood. Later he ,was employed for a short time in a
sawmill on Whidby Island and afterward purchased a hardware business in Seattle, con-
ducting a store on First avenue for about a year. On the expiration of that period he
began buying produce from farmers and selling to the townspeople of Seattle but a little
later turned his attention to the real estate business, in which at various times he was con-
nected with difi'erent partners. He continued buying and selling throughout his remaining
days and was very successful in his undertakings, keeping in close touch with the property
upon the market and thoroughly informed at all times concerning property values. In
early days he lived on Union street but afterward moved the house away and erected three
buildings at Fifth and Union. He also erected the building where the Rainier Grand Hotel
now stands and his building relations contributed not a little to the improvement and
development of this city. The great fire of 1889 started in a store which was owned bv
him and which he rented. With the substantial development of the city following the fire
he was closely associated and his efforts yet bear fruit in the continued growth of Seattle.
On one occasion he went to Alaska on a prospecting trip but lost his health there.

In Seattle, in December, 1875, Mr. Knipe was married to Miss Amelia Marsh, who
was born in Honesdale, Pennsylvania, and came alone to the northwest in 1875, being almost



752 ^ HISTORY OF SEATTLE

as early a pioneer as her husband. To them was born a daughter, now Mrs. Irving Ben-
nett, who still resides in Seattle. The family circle, however, was broken by the hand of
death, when on the 7th of April, 1904, Mr. Knipe passed away at the age of fifty-six years.
He became one of the charter members of the Cedar Baptist church, which he erected,
and he was for some time a member of the First Baptist church. He took an active and
helpful interest in all lines of church work and his labors were of far-reaching and beneficial
effect. In politics he was a republican, loyally supporting his party and at all times mani-
festing a public-spirited devotion to the general good. He never sought office, however,
for he was a man of domestic tastes, finding his greatest happiness at his own fireside.
Thus it was that the blow of his death fell with greatest force upon the members of his
own family, leaving a widow and daughter bereft of the care and protection of a loving
husband and father. Mr. Knipe had long been identified with the city and had watched
its development from a small village to one of the great metropolitan centers of the west.
Mrs. Knipe has also seen most of the growth and progress of Seattle and is justly accounted
one of its prominent pioneer women.



HARRIET J. CLARK, M. D.

Dr. Harriet J. Clark came to Seattle in 1899 from Saginaw, Michigan. She had pur-
sued her early education there and was graduated from the Saginaw Valley Medical College
with the class of 1899. She then came to the northwest, locating for practice in Seattle,
where she has since remained, devoting her attention to the general work of the profession,
in which she has made steady progress, being now accorded a very liberal practice. She
belongs to the King County Medical Society, the American Medical Association, The
Woman's Medical Club and at one time was president of the Woman's Club of Seattle.



CALVIN H. HAGAN.



Calvin H. Hagan, financial agent and investment broker who is accorded a large clien-
tage and is doing a successful business in Seattle, is one of the worthy and substantial
citizens that Ohio has furnished to the northwest, his birth having occurred in Steuben-
ville, that state, March 21, 1867. His father, Jonathan Hagan, also a native of Steuben-
ville, was a descendant of another Jonathan Hagan who came from Ireland at an early
period in the colonization of the new world. The father of Calvin H. Hagan was a mer-
chant and banker of Steubenville, occupying a very prominent position in the business circles
of that city and also exerting considerable influence in molding public action. He served as
a member of the city council and was a prominent figure in civic affairs. At the time of the
Civil war he espoused the cause of the Union, serving with an Ohio volunteer regiment
at the time of the Morgan raid into his state. He married Margaret J. Halstead, a native
of Steubenville and a daughter of Robert Halstead, one of the old residents of that place.
One of Mr. Hagan's ancestors served as a lieutenant in the Revolutionary war. To Mr.
and Mrs. Jonathan Hagan were born seven children, two sons and five daughters, of whom
four daughters and our subject are living. Calvin H. and William Edward, the two sons,
were twins and the latter died in Seattle, February 17, 191 1. He had also been a financial
agent here and was engaged in the real estate business, a partnership existing between the
brothers until the death of W. E. The father passed away in 1895, at the age of fifty-four
years, and the mother still makes her home in Steubenville.

Calvin H. Hagan, leaving the high school in his native city at the age of seventeen years,
secured a position as clerk in the National Exchange Bank of his native city and was con-
nected therewith for four years, gaining experience in all departments of the banking busi-
ness. He then resigned and went with Bailej-, Farrell & Company, wholesale dealers in
plumbing supplies at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. His interest became centered on Seattle
while occupying that position and finally he resigned in order to remove to this city.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 753

where he arrived in August, 1889. It was then a tent city, for in June of that year the
great fire had devastated Seattle and it was in the process of rebuilding. His first posi-
tion was with the Washington Territory Investment Company, of which he became secre-
tary, serving as such for one year but leaving to become manager of the Seattle Trust
Company. Two years later he resigned and organized the Union Trust Company with
a paid up capital of a half million dollars, his associate in the undertaking being United
States Senator Watson C. Squire, who was president of the company, while Mr. Hagan
acted as manager for nine years. He then resigned to enter upon private business, turn-
ing his attention to financial affairs and investments, in which field he has since success-
fully labored. He is a prominent representative of that line of business and is a well
known figure in financial circles in Seattle.

On the 25th of August, 1891, in El Dorado, California, Mr. Hagan was joined in
wedlock to Miss Mary Rex Barrett, a native of Steubenville, Ohio, and a daughter of
James Barrett, who is deceased. Her mother survives and makes her home with Mr.
Hagan. Mrs. Hagan is quite active in the Century Club, of which she has served as
secretary. They have an attractive country home near Kirkland. Their religious faith
is evidenced in their membership in the Westminster Presbyterian church and in his politi-
cal views Mr. Hagan is a progressive. He is identified with several of the leading clubs
of the city, being a charter memlier of the Seattle Athletic Club, also of the Arctic Club
and a member of the Commercial Club. A public spirit prompts his aid and cooperation
in many plans and projects for the general good. Some of the largest buildings in the city
are the result of his initiative and he has left his stamp upon Seattle.



EDWIN JAMES BROWN.



Edwin James Brown, of Seattle, who is attorney for several important banks and manu-
facturing concerns and who is also agent and attorney for the United States bureau of fish-
eries, department of commerce, was born in Kansas City, Kansas, on the 30th of March,
1887. His parents, Edwin J. and Lelia Dell Brown, are represented elsewhere in this work.
The father received the degree of D. D. S. from the Western Dental College of Kansas
City, Missouri, and the LL. B. degree from the Kansas City School of Law.

Edwin James Brown was graduated from the Denny school at Seattle in 190J, and
from the Seattle high school in 1906 and in 1910 received the degree of Bachelor of Arts
from the University of Washington, which institution two years later conferred upon him
the degree of LL. B. Subsequently he spent one year in the Harvard Law School. While
attending the University of Washington he was very prominent in university social affairs
and in the student life generally and in 1910 was elected president of the student body, which
office is considered the highest honor in the bestowal of the university student body. When
but fourteen years of age, the year before his graduation from the Denny school, Mr.
Brown began his business career as a messenger boy in the employ of the Postal Telegraph
Company, whose offices were at that time in the old Safe Deposit Iniilding at the corner of
First and Cherry streets. Mr. Brown at one time thought of following the profession of
dentistry and began the study of that science but abandoned it to take up the liberal arts
course. Following the completion of his preparation for the bar he was admitted to prac-
tice and opened an office in Seattle. He has gained a high standing professionally and is
now attorney for a number of banking interests in the city and also for several large
manufacturing companies. His knowledge of the law is accurate and detailed and his
judgment is seldom at fault, while there has never been the slightest question as to his
integrity. He is also agent and attorney for the United States bureau of fisheries, depart-
ment of commerce, in which position he has drafted several laws for congress regulating
fishery and commercial problems and conditions.

Mr. Brown was married on the nth of June, 1912, in Seattle, to Miss Frances Phillips
Stevenson, daughter of Captain John Stevenson, of the Stevenson-Blekum Tugboat Com-
pany. The Stevenson family came to Seattle in 1889, arriving just after the great fire
while the ruins of the city were still smouldering, and they have resided here continuously



.754 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

since. To Mr. and Mrs. Brown have been born a son and daughter, Robert Stevenson and
Elizabeth Jane.

Mr. Brown is a member of the Sigma Nu and Phi DeUa Phi college fraternities, the
George Gray Law Club of Harvard University, St. John's Lodge, A. F. & A. M., of Boston,
Massachusetts, the oldest Masonic lodge on the American continent, having been founded
in 1732, Seattle Lodge, No. 92, B. P. O. E., and the Seattle Athletic Club. He is quite
prominent in the affairs of the last named organization and is enthusiastic over bowling,
tennis and golf, finding in those sports a great deal of enjoyment and recreation. He is
also identified with the Seattle Commercial Club and gives his hearty support to the plans
of that body for the expansion of the city. His religious faith is that of the Baptist church.
He possesses a vigorous mentality and is fitted by natural ability and by training for the
legal profession, in which he has gained a gratifying measure of success. However, his
interests are not confined to the practice of law and he is recognized as a broad-minded
and public-spirited citizen.



J. S. McBRIDE, M. D.



Dr. J. S. McBride, who has engaged in the practice of medicine in Washington since
September, 1903, maintaining an office in Seattle since 1904, was born near London, Ontario.
Canada, on the 23th of July, 1874, a son of Alexander and Robena McBride. His choice
of a life work fell upon the practice of medicine and when his public and high school edu-
cation was completed he made arrangements to enter the Detroit College of Medicine,
from which he was graduated with a professional degree in 1897. He then spent one year
as interne in a hospital, which proved a valuable training to him, for no other field of
work brings such wide and varied experience. He afterward opened an office in Milwaukee,
where he remained in active practice until September, 1903. when he left the middle west
and came to the coast. The following year he took up his abode in Seattle, where he has
since maintained his office and where he is now accorded a liberal patronage. He is very
careful in the diagnosis of cases, is constantly promoting his efficiency through study and
investigation and has won a well merited reputation as a conscientious and able physician.
He is, moreover, a director of the Mutual Loan & Savings Association of .Seattle.

On the 23d of September, 1903, in Washington, Pennsylvania, Dr. McBride was united
in marriage to Miss Minnie B. Reynolds, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Reynolds. In his
political views Dr. McBride is a republican and was appointed commissioner of health
for the city of Seattle on the 17th of March, 1914. He has never sought office outside the
strict path of his profession, preferring to concentrate his energies thereon, with the result
that his close application, indefatigable energy and honorable purpose have won him the
respect of his professional brethren and the confidence of the laity.



FRANK M. HAWKES.



Frank M. Hawkes is president of the Relialjle Transfer & Storage Company, one of
the largest and most completely equipped transfer and storage concerns in Seattle, repre-
senting an investment of fifty thousand dollars. He was born in the Catskill mountains
of New York, January 17, 1876, and is a son of Daniel Hamilton and Evelyn Hawkes.
The father was also a native of New York state and after starting in active business life
became connected with the New York house of H. B. Claflin & Company, later entering
business on his own account. He met with substantial success and built up a trade of
large proportions. In 1889 he came to Seattle.

His son, Frank M. Hawkes, was a student in Delaware Academy at Andes, New
York, until 1889, in which year he accompanied his parents on their removal to the north-
west, and has since been a resident of Seattle. He entered the employ of the brokerage
firm of Boman & Rochester on the day of his arrival in the city and continued in the



:;^v r:.r,K I



..';?'. (U



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 757

brokerage and banking business for eigbt years. During tbe Spanish-American war he
entered the government service and received an appointment in charge of the army trans-
port Wilhelmina for service in China and the Philippines. Upon the completion of that
service he was ordered to proceed to Alaska to facihtate the transportation of government
supplies on the Yukon river, being later employed by the war department at Seattle. In
1906 he decided to again enter commercial life and upon resigning his position with the
war department purchased an interest in the Reliable Transfer & Storage Company, of
which he became president. While Mr. Hawkes has been the dominating spirit in the
conduct and success of that undertaking it does not represent the entire scope of his activ-
ities, for he is the president of the Packard-Velie Taxicab Service, which operates taxi-
cabs, limousines and touring cars, as well as being interested in manufacturing pursuits.
These enterprises are growing concerns and the success attained is gratifying.

In Spokane, Washington, Mr. Hawkes was united in marriage to Miss Ainiette B.
Knapp and has one son, Robert Neely Hawkes, who was born in 1915. Mr, Hawkes was
selected for membership to represent his field of endeavor in tlie Rotary Club of Seattle
shortly after its organization and is quite properly proud of this honor. His diversion is
fly fishing for trout in the mountain streams of the Cascades and he has made many
enviable catches of speckled beauties. He is a very courteous, genial gentleman, which
qualities, combined with indefatigable energy, have placed him in a substantial position in
the business circles of his adopted city.



HERBERT ALFRED SCHOEXFELD.

Herbert Alfred Schoenfeld, one of the partners in the Standard Furniture Company
and thus a prominent representative of commercial activity in Seattle and the northwest,
represents a house that for over fifty years has been in existence, ever maintaining the
highest reputation for promptness and reliability. He was born at Virginia City, Nevada,
July 20, 1874, a son of Louis and Hannah Schoenfeld. The father was born November
30, 1840, and died November 18, igio, twelve days before the seventieth anniversary of
his birth. He laid the foundation for the Standard Furniture Company in 1864 at Vir-
ginia City, Nevada, and in 1887 the business was removed to Seattle, where it is recog-
nized today as one of the foremost mercantile establishments on the Pacific coast. The
enterprising policy and straightforward methods established by the founder have been
continued by his successors, who are his three sons, Ralph A.. Berman and Herbert A.
The father was a prominent Mason, having attained the thirty-second degree of the
Scottish Rite, and in all relations of life he enjoyed the full confidence and high regard
of colleagues and contemporaries.

Herbert A. Schoenfeld pursued his education in the schools of San Francisco and
of Seattle before entering the University of Washington, from which in due time he
was graduated. He then became connected with the Standard Furniture Company and
directed the publicity of the firm, contributing in large measure to its success by judicious
and attractive advertising, setting forth the merits and advantages of the house. He is
associated with his brothers in the ownership of this business, which for fifty-one years
has been a synonym for progressive commercialism in the west. Their establishment
today occupies one of the large business blocks of Seattle and the line of goods carried
includes the finest products of foreign and domestic furniture manufacture.

Mr. Schoenfeld was married in 1002 to Miss Bessie Barman of Portland, Oregon,
and they have three sons : Louis Kenneth, Herbert A. and Ralph A., aged respectively
twelve, eleven and five years. Mr. Schoenfeld is a thirty-second degree Mason, holding
membership in Lawson Consistory and also in Nile Temple of the Mystic Shrine of
Seattle. He is likewise a charter member of the Elks Lolge, No. 92, and he was chairman
of the publicity committee for the forty-first annual session of the Ancient Arabic Order
of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. In club circles he is equally prominent, belonging to
the Arctic, the Rotary, the Seattle Athletic and the Press Clubs, and being also active
in the Seattle Ad and Automobile Clubs. He is president of the Seattle Dad's Associa-



758 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

tion, one of the most unique organizations in the country, and known for its unique annual
celebration. President Wilson and ex-Presidents Taft and Roosevelt are honorary mem-
bers as well as many distinguished "Dad Americans." He is likewise connected with the
Chamber of Commerce and the Commercial Club and is in full accord with the objects
of those organizations for promoting the business development and trade relations of the
city. In fact, he stands for progress along all lines contributing to Seattle's greatness and
upbuilding and can be coimted upon as a cooperant factor in many measures for the public
good.



F. C. BRADEN.



For three years F. C. Braden has been connected with the firm of Barnhart Brothers
& Spindler, type founders, of Chicago, as manager of their Seattle interests and his identifi-
cation with this firm covers sixteen years. He dates his residence in Seattle from 1884, so
that practically his entire life has here been passed. He was born at Bognor, England.

Reared in Seattle F. C. Braden is indebted to its public-school system for the educa-
tional privileges he enjoyed. He entered the firm of Barnhart Brothers & Spindler and in
this connection has worked his way steadily upward until for three years he has occupied
the position of manager. The company utilizes eight thousand feet of floor space on the
third floor of the Poison building in Seattle and their territory in the northwest covers
Oregon, Washington, British Columbia and Alaska. They employ twelve men besides two
traveling salesmen and their investment in the Seattle business is one hundred thousand
dollars. This branch was established in 1898 and the trade has grown proportionately with
the development of the city. Mr. Braden is thoroughly familiar with every phase of th6
business, which is that of handling printing presses, type and all kinds of printers' supplies.

In 1904 Mr. Braden was united in marriage to Miss Crystal A. Wright, a native of Wis-
consin, and they have become parents of two children : Sherald F.. who was born August
2, 1905; and Ralph W., born February 11, 1913. The religious faith of the family is that
of the Episcopal church and in addition to his membership therein Mr. Braden holds mem-
bership in the Arctic Club. His political allegiance is given to the republican party but he
does not seek nor desire office, preferring to concentrate his energies upon his business
affairs, whicli are capably directed and are bringing him substantial and well merited
success.



WILLIAM B. OLSON.



William B. Olson, who is engaged very successfully in the general contracting business
at Seattle as the president and treasurer of the Olson & Nicholson Company, was born at
Frederiksstad, Norway, January 23, 1861. His father, Ole Bjurstrom, was a citizen of Nor-
way, conducted a profitable business in the manufacture of agricultural implements and
spent his entire life in that country. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Eva Peterson,
also born and reared in the land of the midnight sun, has passed away.

William B. Olson was the eldest in their family of seven children, six of whom are
yet living. He pursued his education in the schools of his native town and at the age of
nineteen years put aside his textbooks, after which he entered upon an apprenticeship to
the builder's trade, his term of indenture covering four years. Thinking that better
business opportunities might be secured in the new world, he crossed the Atlantic in 1880
and made his way to Minneapolis, Minnesota, where he continued to work at his trade until
1881. The lure of the west, however, was upon him and he left that city for Montana. He
worked all through the state in connection with construction work on the Northern Pacific
Railroad, being engaged in the building of bridges, warehouses, depots and elevators. In
1883 he reached Spokane and there first entered the contracting and building business
on his own account, remaining a resident of that city for seventeen years, or until 1900,
when he removed to Seattle, Washington. Since that time he has here been engaged very



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 759

successfully in the general contracting business and his steady advancement has brought
him to a foremost position in the ranks of those who follow the same line. The business
has been incorporated and is conducted under the firm name of the Olson-Nicholson Com-
pany, of which Mr. Olson is the president and treasurer, Frank Oleson, secretary, and
W. J. Nicholson, vice president and manager. He is thoroughly conversant with all of the
scientific as well as the practical phases of the business, is prompt and reliable in the
e.xecution of his_ contracts and his strictly honorable dealings have gained for him high
regard in business circles. In the last few years he has acquired an interest in the largest
house-moving equipment on the coast, and most of the largest undertakings in alteration
work in this city have been done by that company.

On the 26th of October, 1888, Mr. Olson was united in marriage in Spokane, Washing-



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 92 of 142)