Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 97 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 97 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


been born three sons, namely: Ralph, a native of Portland, Oregon; and Harris and
Arthur, both of whom were born in Seattle.

Harris Emmons was born in Seattle and attended the public schools until he passed
through consecutive grades to his graduation from the high school with the class of
1909. He then studied law with his father and attended the night sessions of the law
department of the University of Washington. In 1913 he was admitted to the bar and
has since been his father's associate in practice.

Mrs. Emmons belongs to St. Mark's Episcopal church and the family is prominent
socially, the hospitality of their beautiful home on Beacon Hill being greatly enjoyed by
their many friends. On attaining his majority, Mr. Emmons became a member of the
Masonic fraternity, of which he has since been an exemplary representative, and he
also belongs to the Sons of the Revolution. In politics he has ever been an active repub-
lican, believing firmly in the principles of the party. His interest centers upon his pro-
fessional duties, however, and in his profession, as well as in other relations of life, he
is ever a man of most courteous manners yet firm and unyielding in all that he believes
to be right.



ARTHUR HARVILLE GRAY, M. D.

Dr. Arthur Harville Gray, physician and surgeon of Seattle, where he has practiced
since 1908, was born in Hickman county, Tennessee, February 8, 1880. His father, William
Ervin Gray, also a native of Tennessee, is descended from Mayflower ancestry and is of
English lineage. He is now living retired in Nashville. His wife, who bore the maiden
name of Mary Elizabeth Harville, was likewise born in Tennessee and belongs to an old
family of that state. She is of Irish lineage in the paternal line and of English descent in
the maternal line. Her father, James Younger Harville, was one of the old Raleigh set-
tlers of Tennessee and was a direct descendant of the founder of the Raleigh settlement.

Dr. Gray belonged to a family of five children and was the only son, having four
sisters, one of whom is deceased. He was the second in order of birth and his early
instruction was received from a governess in his father's home, while later he had private
tutors. He also attended the public schools of Hickman county and later was a student
in the public and high schools of Nashville, where he afterward entered the University of
Nashville in the fall of 1899, taking the scientific course for three years. He did this
as a preparatory measure to studying medicine, which he was then contemplating, and
carrying out his plans, he entered the Vanderbilt University at Nashville, pursuing a course
in the medical department until graduated at the end of four j'ears as a member of the
class of 1906, the M. D. degree being then conferred upon him. He next took post-
graduate work in New York city, spending two years in the hospitals there. He was
connected with the Bellevue, the Willard Parker, the New York Lying-in and the New
York Infants Hospitals and in his studies and practice he has specialized in obstetrics
and the diseases of children. In the fall of 1907 he came to Seattle and on the 6th of
February, 1908, opened his office in the Lumber Exchange building, where he has been in
continuous practice since. He has won a reputation for marked ability along the line
of his specialty, confining his practice exclusively to obstetrics and diseases of children.
He lectures on those subjects in the local hospitals and his comprehensive knowledge
causes his opinions to be accepted as authority along those lines.

Dr. Gray is a member of the King County Medical Society, the Washington State
Medical Society and the American Medical Association. He is constantly studying along
professional lines and anything which tends to bring to man the key to the complex
mystery which we call life is of interest to him. His political allegiance is given the




DR. ARTHUR H. GRAY



V '•'



Y



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 793

democratic party and he belongs to the Seattle Athletic Club and the Seattle Automobile
Club, finding pleasant social relations therein. He is also a member of the First Presby-
terian church. His influence and aid are always given on the side of progress, reform
and improvement and he has high ideals concerning man's duty to the community and
to his fellows, while in his profession he displays qualities that indicate his conscientious
observance of the highest ethical relations of the profession.



AMUND AMUNDS.



Amund Amunds, who at his death was vice president of the Scandinavian-American
Bank of Seattle, first came to this city in 1869, when a little village occupied the site of the
present great metropolitan center. He made his way northward from California and had
removed to the coast from Wisconsin, his native state. After making his way to Seattle
he worked along various lines, accepting any employment that he could secure. He was
one of the first to engage in the dairy business, which he conducted on Broadway and
Madison street, being there located until a fire destroyed his business. He did not resume
dairying but removed to a farm at Spring Hill owned by his wife's brother, now a part of
the Henry Stone place. There he remained for about four years, after which he returned
to the city and embarked in the hotel business, conducting the Wisconsin House in part-
nership with Peter Wickstrom until about the time of the great fire of 1889. He after-
ward became one of the organizers of the Scandinavian-American Bank and later was
elected to the vice presidency, in which position he continued until his death.

In Cowlitz county, Washington, in 1872, Mr. Amunds was united in marriage to Miss
Belle Stone, a daughter of Noyes Stone, who came to the northwest from Indiana by
wagon in 1854 and lived in Cowlitz county, where he entered land from the government
and became a pioneer settler, contributing to the development of that district during fron-
tier days. In 1872 he removed to Seattle, where he spent his remaining days, living retired
for some time. In the family were but two children : Mrs. Amunds ; and Henry, who
became an engineer, following that business for a time. He was also for a period con-
nected in business with Mr. Amunds but afterward went to California. Mr. and Mrs.
Amunds had one child, a daughter. May, now deceased. It was on the 6th of May. 1896,
that Mr. Amunds passed away, his death occurring when he was fifty-four years of age.
Fraternally he was connected with the Ancient Order of United W'orkmen. In politics
he was a republican with independent tendencies and was very active in the affairs of the
city, taking a deep interest in all that pertained to public growth and progress from the
time of his arrival here in 1869 until death claimed him more than a quarter of a century
later. His life proved one of usefulness to the community in which he lived. His breadth
of view not only saw possibilities for his own advancement but for the city's development,
and his lofty patriotism prompted him to utilize the latter as quickly and as effectively
as the former.



WASHINGTON SAVINGS AND LOAN ASSOCIATION.

A financial institution which has been most conspicuously identified with the history
of Seattle is the Washington Savings and Loan Association, located at 810 Second avenue.
Organized on September 21. 1889— twenty-seven years ago— this institution has adhered
strktly to the program laid down in its articles of incorporation, which articles define as
the first object of its existence the offering to its patrons of "a safe, profitable and con-
venient manner of investing their savings," and the loaning of such funds on real estate

security.

Among those who organized this company, which has now grown to be one of the
most imponant factors in the financial organism of the northwest, are found such names
as those of Robert Moran, the shipbuilder; James Hamilton Lewis, formerly of Seattle



79-t HISTORY OF SEATTLE

and now United States senator from Illinois; E. O. Graves, for many years president of
the Washington National Bank, now the National Bank of Commerce; and Dr. P. B. M.
Miller, during his lifetime a noted physician and well known to all old-timers. The official
witnesses to the signatures on the articles of incorporation of this institution were Hiram
Charles Gill, present mayor of Seattle, and Percy W. Rochester.

Soon after the incorporation of the Association other men, whose names are not only
familiar to old residents but to all of our citizens at the present time, were elected trustees
of the society. Among them may be mentioned William E. Bailey, builder of the Bailey
building; M. F. Backus, now president of the National Bank of Commerce; William A.
Peters, the well known lawyer; C. E. Vilas, formerly superintendent of the United States
assay office ; E. A. Strout, the well known insurance man ; and Warren L. Gazzam, the
steamship owner. It is an interesting fact that a number of the trustees of the association
have served continuously during nearly the whole period of the society's activities. Among
them may be mentioned William A. Peters, Herman Chapin, C. E. Vilas and F. B. Finley.

Among others of the present board of fifteen men who have been more or less closely
identified with the work of the association for nearly a quarter of a century are William
Thaanum, Dr. James Shannon, Hans Pederson, and L. O. Janeck of North Yakima. The
present board of trustees are : Herman Chapin, E. G. Ames, manager of the Paget Mill
Company; George Donworth, lawyer; Raymond R. Frazier, president of the association;
F. B. Finley, general appraiser; W. F. Geiger, superintendent of schools of Tacoma; Ivar
Janson, physician and surgeon ; L. O. Janeck, of North Yakima ; Hans Pederson, con-
tractor ; William A. Peters, general counsel ; William Thaanum, vice president and treasurer
of the association; James Shannon, physician and surgeon; C. E. Vilas, superintendent of
the United States assay office ; Eugene B. Favre, of Murphy, Favre & Company of Spo-
kane ; and H. D. Campbell, secretary of the association.

The association has an enviable record for solidity and conservative management. It
passed unscathed through the panic of the '90s and was unharmed by the later financial
stringency of 1907. The society has been a most important factor in the development of
this community and has done more, perhaps, to encourage the upbuilding of our residence
districts than any other single agency operating in Seattle. The association is progressive
in the best sense of the word. It has not only in recent years adopted the most improved
and modern methods of receiving and investing the savings of the people, but it has at the
same time so improved its plan of loaning money that it has attracted the attention of all
of our citizens. The association rightfully claims now the distinction of offering a loan
to home builders which is not surpassed by any real estate loan plan anywhere in this
country.

That the people approve of these modern, progressive methods is well illustrated by
the fact that in recent years the association has grown enormously, having assets at the
present time of more than five million dollars. The credit for the growth and increased
usefulness of this old financial institution is given in large measure to the active man-
agement of Messrs. Raymond R. Frazier and William Thaanum, the president and vice
president of the association, who have been enthusiastically supported in their work by the
entire membership of the board of trustees. During its existence the association has had
but three presidents: E. O. Graves, who served during the first eight years of the society's
history; Herman Chapin, who served for the next seventeen years; and Raymond R.
Frazier, the present executive.

Mr. Chapin, in a recent letter addressed to President Frazier, .states in a concise man-
ner his conception of the work of the society, as follows : "It is an interesting business,
and, unlike most business, it gives one the feeling that he is doing something worth while
and is assisting people to carry out their ambitions in the way of owning their own homes
free of debt, and at the same time assisting them not only in investing their savings, but
in showing them that saving itself is a good thing and is a habit easily acquired."

Mr. Frazier became the active general manager of the association in 1908, soon after
the appointment of C. E. Vilas as superintendent of the United States assay office at
Seattle; and William Tliaanum, the then assistant cashier of the Scandinavian American
Bank, was shortly afterward elected to the office of vice president and trustee. At that
time the assets of the association were three hundred and twenty-five thousand dollars.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 7i)5

Messrs. Frazier and Tliaanum recommended to the board the adoption of a new set of
by-laws, providing for the abolition of all fees, fines and forfeitures of every description
and placing the association on a strictly modern basis. In less than eight years the business
of the company has increased more than sixteen hundred per cent, and is now classed as
one of tlie most important and powerful financial institutions in the city.

The association is strictly local, having no branches, and is devoted solely to the propo-
sition of encouraging thrift in the community. First by serving as a safe, profitable and
convenient medium for tlie investment of one's savings ; and secondly by loaning money on
improved real estate or for building purposes, giving the privilege to the borrower of
repaying his loan in small monthly installments. A remarkable feature of tlieir real estate
loan is that a borrower may pay more than his required monthly payment, thus enabling
liim to get out of debt just as fast as it is possible for him to do so.

The association maintains sjjacious offices at 8io Second avenue in the Seattle Xational
Bank building. Its active officers are: Raymond R. Frazier, president; William Thaanum,
vice president; H. D. Campbell, secretary; G. A. Bruce, assistant secretary; \V. S. Darrow,
assistant secretary ; William A. Peters, general counsel ; A. P. Redman, attorney ; F. B.
Finley, general appraiser.



CLARK DAVIS.



It is imperative that mention be made of Clark Davis, else a history of Seattle and
the northwest would be incomplete. Through many years he has lived on the Pacific coast,
although he is a native of the mitUllc west. His labors have been of direct influence in
the moral progress of this section of the country and in its educational development. At
tlie present time he is interested in oil lands in Alaska, having an office in the New York
block in Seattle. He knows the northwest thoroughly, its resources, its advantages and its
opportunities and his labors are proving an effective force in the utilization of those things
which make for the upbuilding and progress of this section of the country. .\ man of
strong mental force and discernment he also has those social qualities which have made
him one of the best known, best liked residents of Seattle. He has been closely identified
with both the material and the moral progress of the northwest and has left his impress
upon its educational advancement. He was born in the "old i6 mile house" midway between
Savannah and Maryville, in northwestern Missouri, .'\pril 15, 1858, a son of the Rev. Hiram
Addison Davis, who was born in Virginia and died in Seattle in 1912. For forty years he
was a member of the annual conference of the Methodist Episcopal church. South, and his
influence was a potent force in advancing the interests of his denomination. He married
Hulda Elizabeth Glaze, a native of Missouri, and they became the parents of four sons and
two daughters, three of whom are living: Clark; Dr. Charles Davis, of Seattle; and Isaac
Rush Davis, of Andrew county, Missouri. After losing his first wife Rev. Davis wedded
Hattie Clark Humber, a native of Kentucky, and they became parents of three sons and
five daughters, all of whom are residents of this slate, except one son who died in infancy.

After mastering the branches of learning taught in the public schools near his father's
home in Missouri, Clark Davis continued his education in the Presbyterian College at
Stewartsville, where he spent four years as a student. For a year he engaged in teaching
in the public schools and then joined the Methodist Episcopal church. South. He deter-
mined to devote his life to the ministry and two years later was ordained by Bishop Gran-
berry, at Richmond, in the year 1S82. At the conference he was granted a supernumerary
relation, his leave of absence being given him on account of ill health. He at once started
for California, arriving in San Francisco on the iSth of October, 1882, at which time he
had but ten cents in his pocket. Meeting an old Methodist minister, Rev. J. C. Simmons,
he borrowed thirty dollars and with that sum started for Portland, Oregon, where he
arrived in November, T8S2, the steamer having been held up for two days on the bar because
of rough weather. The expenses of the trip consumed the money which he had and at
Portland he pawned his gold watch for ten dollars. He secured accommodations at a
boarding house on First street in Portland, where there were a number of young men



796 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

among whom he formed many pleasant acquaintances. Of the twenty yoinig men there
quartered, Frank Spinning, now head of the public service commission of Washington, Dr.
Vandevanter of Kent, Charles Seals, of Dungeness, and Mr. Davis have been lifelong
friends. While in Portland the last named became interested in the Young Men's Chris-
tian Association and accepted the position of assistant secretary under E. C. Frost. His
work here was so signally successful that in 1884, through the influence of H. J. McCoy,
Y. M. C. A. secretary in San Francisco, who had been sent to arouse interest in the work in
Seattle, he received an offer to come to Seattle as secretarj-.

On the night that Mr. Davis was to leave Portland he met Dexter Horton of this city,
who was then visiting in Portland, and with him Mr. Davis made the trip to his new home
and the first night was the guest of Mr. Horton at his residence on University and Third
streets. He arrived in this city just at the time of the collapse of the North Pacific boom
and hard times followed. There was forced retrenchment along many lines of expense and
for three months Mr. Davis supplied the pulpit of the Plymouth Congregational church.
Early in 1885 he began supplying the pulpit of the "little brown church" of the Methodist
Protestant denomination and so successful was his work that he was offered the pastorate.
That church was founded by the Rev. Dr. Daniel B. Bagley, father of C. B. Bagley, men-
tioned elsewhere in this work. Among his parishioners were such well known men as Dex-
ter Horton. Hillary Butler. Judge Thomas Mercer, Henry Van Assalt, D. B. Ward and
others. Mr. Davis continued to fill the pastorate there until 1896, when he resigned. The
year following he had become secretary of the board of regents of the University of
Washington and was also registrar of the university. He remained in that connection for
four years but resigned in 1901 and accepted a position with James A. Moore, with whom
he remained for a year.

Mr. Davis then became interested in oil lands in Alaska and for the development of
his business opened an office in the New York block, where he still remains. A company
was formed and oil lands were acquired in Katilla, Alaska. Mr. Davis filed on the site
of Katilla with script — soldiers' additional homestead — and the tract is patented in his
name, bearing the signature of Richard M. Ballinger, secretary of the interior, and the
date 1907. By 1005 the interests of the company in oil and coal lands had grown so great
that Mr. Davis went to Alaska and took charge of affairs in that district, remaining there
until IQII, Then the government took up its radical conservation work and after spend-
ing half a million dollars in cash and years of labor the company was forced to retire and
plunged into litigation with the government, in which it is still engaged. Associated with
Mr. Davis were such well known men as Thomas S. Lipy, John Schram, John and James
Campbell, C. F. White, Charles Cobb and other equally well known men of Los Angeles,
San Francisco and Portland.

On the 3d of June, 1884, Mr. Davis was married in Seattle to Miss Cleo C. White, a
daughter of Mrs. Susan White, of Salem, Illinois, the ceremony being performed by the
Rev. Taylor of the Plymouth Congregational church. Two children were born of this union,
Charles D. and Addison J. Charles D. Davis was born June 6, 1885, in Seattle, in the
parsonage attached to the "little brown church" at the corner of Second and Madison
streets. The schools of the city accorded him his educational privileges and in 1907 he
was married to Miss Blanche Cooper, of Chicago, by whom he has a daughter, Mary Irene,
born in 1908. Addison Jennings Davis, born September 23, 1890. at the family home on
Tenth street, near Virginia, is now a resident of Seattle. The wife and mother passed
away in Seattle in 1910, while Mr. Davis was in Alaska, necessity for an operation arising
suddenly and her death occurring on the operating table. On the loth of September,
191 1, Mr. Davis was again married, his second union being with Mrs. Bertha A. Crowell.
They have a beautiful residence in Southworth, Kitsap county, Washington, an hour's
ride from Seattle. There Mr. Davis makes his home, going to and from the city each day.

In his political views Mr. Davis has always been a democrat and in 1906 made a cam-
paign through the state for W. J. Bryan, who is a cousin of his first wife, he being accom-
panied by John Rogers, who in that year was elected governor of Washington. Mr. Davis
has been closely identified with Seattle's history and has played an important part in con-
nection with many prominent events. He was deputy sherifT under Captain John Kinnear
durin" the anti-Chinese riots in Seattle and many events which have aided in shaping the



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 797

annals of the city bear his impress. Fraternally he is connected with the Woodmen of
the World and the Woodmen of America. There is perhaps no resident of Seattle more
widely known in Washington and in Alaska and it is to be hoped that he will live to reap
the rewards of his investment in the north. During the years which he has spent on the
coast he has witnessed remarkable changes as pioneer conditions have given way before
an advancing civilization and none rejoices more sincerely than he in what has been accom-
plished along the lines of progress, advancement and improvement.



WILLIAM HENRY BAXTER.

William Henry Baxter, conducting business under the name of the Baxter Transfer
Company, was born at Derby Line, Vermont, May 25, 1876, a brother of Portus Baxter,
in whose sketch on another page of this work mention is made of the family history.
He was a youth of but thirteen years when in March, 1889, he arrived in Seattle, and
during the greater part of his life he has been identified with the teaming business. He
is now at the head of the Baxter Transfer Company and has a well organized business,
using both horses and autos. He makes a specialty of distributing carload lots of fruit
and vegetables for commission merchants on Western avenue and has seen the transfer
business grow into a great industry. He says that no one living here now that has not
been identified with the business can realize what a change has occurred in connection
with the transfer business since the early days when they were compelled to drive through
streets of mud and sawdust. The city has done all in its power to work hand in hand
with the transfer men for the betterment of the condition of its thoroughfares and Mr.
Baxter believes that Seattle is second to no city in the world in the point of its street
improvements, where great, wide avenues well paved, offer excellent facilities for hauling,
greatly lessening the tax made upon the strength of animals. Honorable business methods
and close application have brought to Mr. Baxter growing success and he is today at the
head of an enterprise of large and satisfactory proportions.

In early manhood Mr. Baxter was united in marriage to Miss .Mice .-Mien, a native
of Port Gamble, Washington, and a daughter of Alexander Allen, a shipbuilder and
former partner of Bob Moran. Fraternally Mr. Baxter is identified with the Benevolent
Protective Order of Elks, belonging to Lodge No. 92 at Seattle. He is president of the



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 97 of 142)