Clement A. (Clement Augustus) Lounsberry.

North Dakota history and people; outlines of American history (Volume 3) online

. (page 22 of 121)
Online LibraryClement A. (Clement Augustus) LounsberryNorth Dakota history and people; outlines of American history (Volume 3) → online text (page 22 of 121)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


secretary. In politics he is a republican, active in support of the party, and he is now
serving as alderman from the seventh ward. He holds membership with the Brotherhood of




AXllRKW PEOERSOX



HISTORY OF NORTH DAKOTA 171

American Yeomen, witli the Sons of Norway and with tlie Commercial Club of Grand
Forks. He came to America a poor boy but actuated by laudable ambition to attain
success. He carried with him no false hope of rapidly attaining wealth but realized that
advancement in this country, as elsewhere, must be obtained by persistent, earnest effort and
capability. Gradually, therefore, he has worked his way upward and what he has
accomplished is the result of individual worth and merit. He may well be proud of what
he has accomplished, being today at the head of a firm which occupies a commanding posi-
tion in his chosen field of labor.



JOHN A. COEBETT.



.John A. Corbett, editor of the Williston Graphic, was born in Ontario, Canada, March
19, 1877, a son of John C. and Margery (Good) Corbett. The father was born, reared and
educated in Ontario and became a railroad man in Canada. He moved to the United
States in 1887 and followed railroading on the Great Northern at Fort Assinniboine,
Montana, and Williston and Minot, North Dakota. He and his wife are now residents of
Stanley, North Dakota.

John A. Corbett was educated in the schools of North Dakota and Illinois. He spent
some time as a pupil in the ilinot high school, from wliich he was graduated and after-
ward became a student in the North Dakota Agiicultural College at Fargo. Returning to
Minot, he engaged in newspapef w'Ork and in 190B removed to Williston, where he purchased
the Graphic, of which he is now the owner and editor. This paper has a good circulation
and is one of the bright and attractive journals published in that section of the state.

Ml'. Corbett has been married twice and he has three children. His political endorsement
is given to' the republican party and at one time he served as a member of the Williston
school board but has never been a politician in the sense of office seeking although he
keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day. Fraternally he is connected
with Williston Lodge. I. 0. 0. F.. of which he is a past noble grand, with the Elks lodge
and with the Modern Woodmen camp of Williston.



CHARLES J. HOOF.



Charles J. Hoof, who is engaged in general farming on section 30. Bryant township,
Logan county, was born in Nova Scotia on the 12th of January, 1861, and is a son of Julius
H. and Lucy J. (Veit) Hoof, natives of Prussia and of Quebec, Canada, respectively. They
were married in Nova Scotia, to which country they had removed in their youth. The
father was a painter and cabinetmaker and engiaver and devoted several years of his life
to the art of engraving. In 1878 he and his son Charles came to North Dakota, settling in
Traill county where he homesteaded eighty acres, residing thereon for six years. In 1885
he went to Logan county and a short time afterward homesteaded eighty acres, upon which
he lived until compliance with the law- concerning length of residence and improvements
gave him title to the pioperty. Subsequent to that he and his w-ife made their home with
their son Cliarles. In community affairs Julius H. Hoof took an active part, serving for
two terms as county clerk and for two terms as judge of the county court. For many
years he also occupied the position of justice of the peace and upon both the justice and
the county benches he rendered decisions which were strictly fair and impartial, his opinions
being based upon the law and the equity in the case.

Charles J. Hoof pursued a district school education and on the 4th of .June, 1884. home-
steaded a quarter section of land on section 20, Bryant township, upon which he still resides.
This, how-ever, constituted but the nucleus of his present holdings, for he has added to his
farm from time to time until he is now the owner of three hundred and twenty acres of
as valuable land as can be found in Logan county. The old homestead property is one of
the well improved farms of that part of the state, for his labors have converted it from



172 HISTORY OF NORTH DAKOTA

a tract of wild land into rich and productive fields, and while he has thus furthered his
business interests he has also been foremost in any movement for the upbuilding of his home
county.

In 1S89 Mr. Hoof was married to Miss Theresa B. Steidl, of Logan county, North
Dakota, who was born in Austria. They have become the parents of seven children: Anna,
the wife of Earl Janes, of Kidder county, North Dakota; Charles V., at home; Alice A.,
the wife of M. B. Fallgatter, a business man of Kintyre, North Dakota; Jessie, the wife of
Peter Nord, of Logan county; and Mabel, Joseph and Maud, all at home.

In his political views Mr. Hoof is an ardent republican but has never been an office
seeker. He belongs to the Brotherhood of American Yeomen and in his religious faith is
a Piesbyterian, while his wife is a member of the Catholic church. Diligence and determina-
tion liave been the crowning points in his career and have enabled him to advance from a
humble financial position to one of affluence.



HENTIY G. LYKKEN.



Henry G. Lykkcn. a civil engineer of Grand Forks, was born December 9, 1880, in
Dakota county, JMinncsota, a son of Gilman H. and Ella (Thoreson) Lykken. The father,
a native of Norway, came alone to America when a youth of fifteen years and settled in
Minnesota but in 1879 removed to the territory of Dakota, establishing his home in Walsh
county, where he engaged in farming and where he is still living at the age of sixty-four
years. His wife, a native of Minnesota, was born in 1860.

Henry G. Lykken was the eldest of their family of nine children. In his youthful days
he attended the public schools of Auburn and afterward became a student in the University
of North Dakota, from which he was graduated in 1905 with the Bachelor of Arts degree.
He later pursued a course in mining engineering and won the M. E. degree in 1906. He
entered upon the practice of Municipal Engineering at Grand Forks in the same year and
has since done much engineering work in that city and in other parts of the state. In
1910 he became city engineer and so continued until 1914. In the line of his profession he
has connection with the American Society of Municipal Improvement. While city engineer
he instituted much of the splendid system of paving, of which Grand Forks is justly proud
and he was connected with other important improvements.

In December, 1911, Mr. Lykken was married to Miss Frances Hamilton, of Deer Lodge,
Montana, a daughter of William H. and Frances Hamilton, of Frankfort, Kentucky. They
have become the parents of three children: Margaret who was born in Grand Forks in
1912; Henry G., born in 1913; and William, in 1915. The parents are members of the
Lutheran church and Mr. Lykken is a well known and popular citizen and his professional
ability has enabled him to make a steady advance in his chosen field of labor.



THOMAS E. HAYWARD.



Thomas E. Hayward, cashier of the Golden Valley State Bank at Beach, was born in
Cambridge, Maryland, in 1879, a son of Charles E. and Emily (Eccleston) Hayward. who
were also natives of Maryland. The father, an attorney by profession, spent his entire life
in his native state, practicing at Cambridge. At the time of the Civil war he responded
to the call of the Confederacy and served for four years in the Twenty-first Virginia and
the Second Florida regiments with the rank of lieutenant. Both he and his wife are now
deceased. They had a family of four children, all of whom are living.

Thomas E. Hayward, who was the j'oungest, piirsued his education in the graded
schools of Cambridge and in Kenyon College at Gambler, Ohio. He afterward engaged in
teaching school at Decatiu'. Illinois, for three years and subsequently was employed as a
teacher of history in the high school of Aurora, Illinois, there spending two years. He next
went to Minneapolis, where he remained for five years, engaged in teaching throughout that



HISTORY OF NORTH DAKOTA 173

period, He became assistant principal of the West liigh school, in wliich connection he
remained for a period of three years. Later he entered the Soutli Side State Bank of
Minneapolis but after a brief period left tliat institution to accept a position with H. R.
Lyon, who was the principal stockholder in a company owning a line of banks through
North Dakota. Mr. Hayward became auditor of the company and entered the state in that
capacity in 1910. In December, 1915, he went to Beach and purchased an interest in the
Golden Valley State Bank, of which he became ca.shier and so serves. This bank is capitalized
at twenty-live thousand dollars and has a surplus of equal amount. The institution was
organized in ]!IO,"i by F. E. N'ear and from the beginning has enjoyed a continuous growth.
Mr. Hayward is proving a most competent ollieial whose courteous and obliging manner has
won him popularity with the patrons of the bank, while his loyalty to the interests of the
institution has gained for him the confidence and high regard of his fellow officials and
associates in the bank.

In 1909 Mr. Hayward was united in marriage to Miss Marjorie Farnum. a native of
Colorado who became a resident of Montana. Her father, Vinson Farnum, was a prominent
real estate num. He has passed away, but her mother, who is now Mrs. Joseph A. Baker,
i.s living in Jlontana. Mr. and Mrs. Hayward have become parents of a little daughter,
Sarah Elizabeth.

In religious faith Mr. Hayward is a Christian Scientist, belonging to the mother church
at Boston, Massachusetts. While in Aurora, Illinois, he became a member of the Benevolent
Protective Order of Elks and now has membership in the Elks lodge at Mandan. His
political allegiance is given to the republican party, but while he exercises his right of
franchise in support of its men and measures, he does not seek nor desire office. While
engaged in teaching he displayed notable ability as an educator, imparting clearly and
readily to others the knowledge that he had acquired, and since entering the field of banking
he has made equal progress, being actuated at all times by a spirit of unfaltering determina-
tion and enterprise.



BERT G. Mcelroy.



Bert G. McElroy, publisher of the Dawson Press, issued at Dawson. Kidder county,
and accorded a liberal jiatronage, was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in 1875, a son of
Thomas H, and Ellen F. (Hawkins) McElroy, the former a native of Xew Briinswick and
tlie latter of Providence, Rhode Island. The father was a newspaper man and inaugurated
the first two-cent newspaper of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He established the sheet known
as the Milwaukee Evening Chronicle in 1879 and continued its publication for a period of
three years. He was afterward associated with Mr. Peek, at one time governor of the
state, as typesetter in his office. In early life he removed to Iowa, where the became the
owner and editor of the Waukon Democrat. He was thus connected with newspaper publica-
tion in Iowa until 18G1, at which time he returned to Wisconsin and enlisted for senice
with the Twenty-fourth Wisconsin Regiment of Volunteers. He served until the close of
the war. making a creditable military record through the loyalty and bravery which he
had displayed on the field of battle. Eventually he returned to Milwaukee, where he accepted
the position of foreman in the ofiice of the Milwaukee Sentinel and in that connection he
continued until 1886, when he went to ShuUsburg, Wisconsin, establishing the South-
western Local, a paper which he published until 1895. In that year he removed to Iron
Mountain, Michigan, where he began the i)ublication of the first daily to be established
in that town and for five years he continued in that business and made the paper an attractive
and growing one. He afterward removed to Wausaukee, Wisconsin, afterward to New
Holstein and later to Cudahy, Wisconsin. He was engaged in the newspaper business at
all three of these points and it was while at CMdahy that he retired from active life.
passing away in May, 1915. His widow still survives. The father died at the age of
seventy-seven years, while the mother has reached the age of seventy.-eight years.

Bert G. McElroy was the youngest of their five children, four of whom are now living.



174 HISTORY OF NORTH DAKOTA

William H., a brother, is connected with the editorial department of the New York Sun and
Sheridan V. is local editor of the Grand Rapids Leader of Grand Rapids, Wisconsin.

Bert G. JIcElroy was educated in the schools of Milwaukee and of ShuUsburg, Wisconsin,
being graduated from the high school in the latter place. He afterward learned the printing
trade there in the office of his father and afterward was associated with his father in different
printing offices. For a time they were connected in the publication of the Iron Mountain
Daily and following the retirement of the father Bert G. McElroy worked for three years
at Jlihvaukee. In 1902 he came to North Dakota and secured employment in the office of
the Bismarck Tribune, with which he was associated for a period of a year. After leaving
the office of the Tribune he managed a paper, the Linton Advocate, owned by C. A. Patterson,
who was a prominent man of that time. He continued to manage the business for a year,
after which he removed to Braddock and purchased the Braddock News, which he published
for three years. After disposing of that sheet he took charge of the Napoleon Homestead
of Napoleon, North Dakota, which was one of the oldest newspapers of the state. He
continued to acceptably fill that position until December, 1915, at which time he removed
to Dawson and purchased the Dawson Press, which has a circulation of more than six hundred.

In 1896 Mr.. McElroy was united in marriage to Miss Mary L. Jetty, was was born in
Montreal, • Canada, a daughter of Leon and Matilda (Laramee) Jetty, both residents of
Canada. Mr. and Mrs. JIcElroy have become parents of three children: Donald H., who
was born in December, 1898, and is now employed on the Bismarck Tribune; Mildred, born
in 1900; and Luttie, born in 1901.

Mr. and Mrs. McElroy attend the Presbyterian church. In politics he is a republican
aiul iiublishes his paper in the interest of that party. His attention largely centers upon
his newspaper work and he keeps in touch with the trend of modern journalism.



C. E. FULLER, D. V. S.



Dr. C. E. Fuller, engaged in the practice of veterinary surgery at Beach, was born in
South Dakota in 188fi. His father, C. S. G. Fuller, a native of Bath, England, came to the
United States when fifteen years of age, settling at Syracuse, New York, w'here he remained
until he attained his majority. He then went to Chicago and was employed by the
jewelrj' firm of Otto Young & Company, in which business he eventually purchased an
interest. He was also employed at difl'erent periods by Marshall Field & Company and at
the Fair. The period spent in these connections covered twelve years, at the end of which
time he established Iiis home in Brookings, South Dakota, and there entered the hardware
business in partnership with a ilr. Dox. Later he established a store at De Smet, South
Dakota, and assumed the management of the business after retiring from the Brookings
partnership, selling his interest to his partner. Later he admitted his brother, G. C. R. Fuller,
to an interest in the De Smet store and that relation was maintained until 1891. To his
stock of hardware he added general merchandise and the establishment became famous
for miles around because of the quality and variety of the goods carried. He also took
up stock raising as a side line, dealing in horses and cattle, and was thus a most active
and enterprising business man up to the time of his death, which occurred March 20, 1905.
His wife, who bore the maiden name of C. T. Dow and was a native of Portage, Wisconsin,
died in September, 1916.

Dr. Fuller, who was the second in order of birth in a family of four children, tliree
of whom are living, pursued his education in the public schools of De Smet, in the South
Dakota Agricultural College at Brookings and in the Chicago Veterinary College, from which
he was graduated with the class of 1908. He then went to Bellevue, Iowa, where he began
practice, there remaining until .January 7, 1911, after which he returned to De Smet and later
practiced for a time at Isabel, South Dakota, where he also took up a homestead, to which
he secured his title by complying with the laws regarding occupancy and improvement.
On the 21st of February, 1913, Dr. Fuller arrived in Beach and in the intervening period
has built up a very extensive practice, being regarded as one of the most capable veterinarians
of his section of the state. He always keeps in touch with the latest experiments and



HISTORY OF XORTII DAKOTA IT.j

discoveries of a professional chanieter ami his labors Iiave been atteink-il witli notable
results.

On the 23(1 of December, 1914, Dr. Fuller was married to Miss Evangelyn Butterfiehl,
of Sparta, Wisconsin, a daughter of Mr. and llrs. .lell'erson Butterfield. early residents
of Wisconsin. To Dr. and Jlrs. Fuller has been hciiii a dauj;hter, Mereditli, wliose natal
day was January 10, 1916.

Dr. Fuller is a Mason belonging to the lodge at Bellevue, Iowa. His political allegiance
is given to the republican party and in 1914 he was appointed to the position of assistant
state veterinarian, in which capacity he is now serving, performing the duties of that office
in addition to an extensive jirivate jiiactice.



JAMES P. CAIN.



•Tames P. Cain, a memlier of the North Dakota bar practicing at Dickinson, is a native
of Iowa, his birth having occurred at Clare in 1882. His parents, Patrick and Marj' Cain,
are natives of Ohio and Iowa respectively and are now living in the latter state, where the
father follows the occupation of farming.

James P. Cain, the eldest in a family of eleven children, pursued his education in
Cieighton University of Omaha and in Georgetown University of Washington. D. C. where
he matriculated as a law student and won his LL. B. degiee upon graduation with the
class of IDOO. He then removed to St. Paul, Minnesota, where he opened an office and
practiced law for a j'ear and a half, but in Maj', 1911, came to North Dakota and established
an office in Dickinson. Here he has since followed his profession and is now accorded a
good clientage. He is also connected with a land business, being treasurer of the Western
Land Company of Dickinson, which was organized by .John Jloes, H. L. Eeichert and .Tames
P. Cain in 1915.

In 1915 ilr. Cain was married to Miss Mary JIcGinley. a representative of one of the
pioneer families of North Dakota. They hold membership in the Catholic church of Dickinson
and Jlr. Cain is also a member of the Knights of Columbus, in which he has filled all of the
offices and has become district deputy of the state. He also belongs to the Elks lodge of
Dickinson. His political allegiance is given to the democratic party and he was made its
candidate for the office of state's attorney in 1916. His course in his chosen profession
has been marked by steady progression since his arrival in Dickinson and his ability has
won for him a liberal clientage.



HUGH CASEMENT.



Hugh Casement, dealer in farm machinery at Inkster, was born June 16. 1856, at
I/akefield. Ontario. His father, Thomas Casement, however, was a native of Ireland and
about 1832 crossed the Atlantic to Canada, becoming a pioneer settler of Lakefield, where
he engaged in business as a baker, having served a seven years' apprenticeship at the trade
in Belfast. Ireland. His work in that connection was of a high standard and he conducted
a profitable bakery business for some time. Later he successfully followed agricultural
pursuits and was thus engaged to the time of his death, which occurred in March, 1897,
when he was seventy-si.x years of age. In early manhood he wedded Sarah Nelson, a native
of Canada and a representative of one of the pioneer families of that country. By her
marriage she became the mother of ten children, of whom Hugh was the second. She
survived her husband for more than a decade, passing away in July, 1908, at the age of
eighty-two years. In tracing the ancestral line of Hugh Casement it is learned that his
great-grandfather was the richest landowner of Ireland but through the rebellion lost his
entire estate. His grandfather. Philip Casement, served as a colonel in the English army
for twenty-one years and took part in all the wars in West India. His uncle. Robert Case-
ment, became the first postmaster of Lakefield, Canada, and was also a prominent merchant



176 HISTORY OF NORTH DAKOTA

of that town. Some member of the family since that day, covering a period of almost one
hundri'd years, has occupied the position of postmaster, W. H. Casement, an elder brother
of Hugh Casement, having served in that position for the past forty-three years.

Hugh Casement pursued his education in the public schools of Lakefield, Ontario, and
in early life was busily employed at farm work assisting in clearing one hundred acres
of land. His youth was fraught with many trying experiences and was a period of earnest,
unremitting toil. On the 1st of July, 1884, he arrived at Inkster and purchased a farm
covering four hundred and sixty acres of land in Wheatfield township, Grand Forks county.
This he still owns and for many years personally carried on the work of cultivating and
develoj)ing that property but in recent years has rented it to others. In 1904 he left the
farm and took up his abode in Inkster, where he began dealing in farm machinery and in this
business is still engaged, having one of the largest establishments of that kind in Grand
Forks and Walsh counties. He deals in all kinds of farm machinery, including the John
Deere plows and manure spreaders, the McCormick binders and mowers and the R & V
gasoline engines. His trade has now assumed extensive proportions and he also conducts a
branch store at Fordville, Walsh county.

In November, 1887, at Inkster, Mr. Casement was married to Miss Emma Brodie, a
native of Canada and of Scotch descent. Her father. Dr. Brodie, became a prominent
physician of Millbrook. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Casement, of whom
two are deceased: one who died in infancy; and Watson, who died when six years old.
The surviving son is Thomas Henry Hulbert, whose birth occurred in Wheatfield township,
Grand Forks county, and who married Hazeltine Currier, a native of Inkster and a daughter
of Mrs. Hattie Currier, one of the first settlers of Inkster. There is one child of this
marriage, .Jean Casement, born in 1914, at Fordville, where the father is manager of his
father's business.

Politically Mr. Casement is a stalwart republican, taking an active interest in the party.
His worth and ability have been widely recognized and he was made the first treasurer
of Wheatfield township, which position he filled until 1904. He is now serving for the second
term as mayor of Inkster, his incumbency in the office covering four years. Fraternally
he is connected with the Independent Order of Foresters and the Modern Woodmen of
America. He also belongs to the First Presbyterian church, of which he is a trustee. He
likewise has membership in the Commercial C'liib, which further indicates his interest in
community affairs and his devotion to the general good. His has been an active and well
spent life, his labors bringing their just reward in a most substantial success.



W. A. HUGHES.



W. A. Hughes, a well known merchant of Deering, McHenry county, was born on the
Mason and Dixon line at Cardifl', Maryland, April 23, 187G, a son of Hugh E. and Isabelle
(De JIoss) Hughes, both of whom were natives of Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. The
father was an expert slate miner and followed that occupation throughout his entire life save
for the period of his service in the Civil war. He enlisted with a New York regiment and
after his first term had expired he rejoined the array as a member of a Pennsylvania regi-
ment. For nine months of the time he was held as a prisoner of war in Libby prison,
meeting all the hardships of such an experience. He died in October, 1912, while his wife
survived only until 1913.

W. A. Hughes spent his youthful days in Pennsylvania and early began working in
the slate mines, being thus employed until eighteen years of age. Thinking to find other



Online LibraryClement A. (Clement Augustus) LounsberryNorth Dakota history and people; outlines of American history (Volume 3) → online text (page 22 of 121)