Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 101 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 101 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


acted as assistant adjutant-general for over two months of his
service. Since the close of hostilities he has resided upon his
farm^ "Indian Grove," and has devoted himself entirely to its cul-
ture and improvement. He is widely known as a successful planter,
and a hospitable and public-spirited gentleman. As a director of
the Indian river and Campostella turnpike companies he has ma-
terially aided in the success of those desirable enterprises.

George N. Halstead, M. D., of Norfolk county, Va., gave the
Confederate States army his service, in professional and other
capacities, during the entire war of 1861-65. He was born in Nor-
folk county, April 17, 1840, the son of William N. and Elizabeth
(Murray) Halstead. The father was a native of Norfolk county,
the mother, of Princess Anne. He was reared upon the home
farm, which had long been in the hands of his ancestors, and was
given an academic education and some knowledge of military
affairs at the Virginia collegiate institute at Portsmouth. In 1859
and i860 he continued his studies at the university of Pennsyl-
vania,, devoting the latter year to the study of medicine, which he
subsequently completed in the Richmond medical college. April
17, 1861, signalized by the passage of the ordinance of secession
by the Virginia convention, was his twenty-first birthday, and his
first vote was cast to approve of that action. On April 19th, he
entered the Confederate service as a member of Company I of
the Fifteenth Virginia cavalry regiment, but was almost immedi-
ately afterward detached from that command and appointed med-
ical officer of the Third Georgia regiment of infantry. A few
months later he was assigned to duty as medical officer with the
naval battery at Fort Boykin, on the James river, where he re-
mained until the evacuation of Norfolk. He then rejoined the
Fifteenth cavalry and served with it during the campaign of 1862.
While -the army was in winter quarters, he returned to college at
Richmond, and, completing his studies, was graduated in medicine
in the spring of 1863. He then entered the regular service in the
Confederate States navy, with the rank of assistant surgeon, and
was .ordered to Charleston, S. C, as examining and recruiting
surgeon. In the fall of 1863, upon the conipletion of the ironclad
Charleston, he was assigned to her as assistant surgeon. This
vessel was the strongest and swiftest of the Confederate squadron
in South Carolina waters, .and was famous as "The Ladies' Iron-
clad .Gunboat," on account of the large contributions made by the
women of Charleston to the expense of its construction, in money,
jewelry, silverware and the proceeds of fairs and entertainments.
Upon this boat, the fla,gship of Commodore Tucker, Assistant Sur-
geon Halstead served until Septemiber 17, 1864, when he was de-
tached from the flagship Charleston and ordered as senior med-
ical officer of C. S. ironclad Richmond of the James river squad-



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 921

ion, Flag-officer J. R. Mitchell commanding. Here Assistant
Surgeon Halstead served upon the gunboat Richmond until the
evacuation, when he was ordered to the naval brigade, and was
with Tucker and his men in the division of General Custis Lee at
Sailor's creek, where, after a heroic resistance, the entire command
was compelled to surrender, with the exception of Assistant Sur-
geon Halstead and Lieutenants King and Cenas. Escaping this
calamitous field, he joined the remainder of the army, and sur-
rendered with it at Appomattox three days later. His faithful and
devoted service in the Confederate cause was now ended and he
returned to civil life. On December 14, 1865, he was married to
Margaret Wilson of eastern North Carolina, and he made his
home there, meanwhile practicing his profession with much suc-
cess, until 1874, when he returned to the old Halstead homestead
in Norfolk county, with his family. Here he has, since that time,
given his attention entirely to the management of his agricultural
interests and extensive estates. In 1883 he removed to his present
residence, in the neighborhood of the ancestral home. He is one
of the leading landholders and prosperous men of the county, and
is highly regarded by all. He is a member of the Methodist
church, and, among his comrades of the Confederate survivors, is
popular and influential, holding at present the position of comman-
der of Neimeyer-Shaw camp. United Confederate Veterans, at
Berkley.

James P. Hambleton, M. D., who was engaged in the practice of
medicine at the National capital during the latter part of his life,
was born in 1828 in Pittsylvania county, Va., where his ancestors
had resided during the past two centuries. His grandfather, David
Hambleton, held the rank of captain during the war of 1812, and
his great-grandfather, David Hambleton, served in the same rank
in the war of the Revolution. He received a thorough education
in his youth, completing his study of the liberal arts at the univer-
sity of Virginia, and then took up the study of medicine in prepara-
tion for his life work. His professional study was begun at the
Richmond medical college and continued at the university of
Pennsylvania, where he was graduated in 1850. He then removed
to Atlanta, Ga., in 1851, and entered upon the practice, which he
continued with much success until the outbreak of the war. On the
organization of the Thirty-fifth Georgia regiment he entered the
command as surgeon, and remained with the regiment from 1861
until the surrender at Appomattox, sharing its fatigues and priva-
tions, its perils in battle and its sufferings in camp, and throughout
all rendering such aid as only a true and faithful surgeon can to
the men of his command. When the war was over Dr. Hambleton
returned to Atlanta and resumed his medical practice, but in 1869
removed to Washington, D. C, where he continued to reside until
his death in March, 1897. Long before this sad event he had at-
tained a high station among the medical men of the District, and
a warm place in the hearts of his clientele. Dr. Hambleton was
married in 1851, in Dade county, Ga., to Martha L., daughter of
the late Col. Benjamin Easely, who organized the Twenty-first
Georgia regiment. She died in April, 1893, leaving three sons:
Benjamin E., engaged in government service in Florida; Oliver E.,
and Poindexter, of Texas.

Jesse A. Hamilton, of Norfolk, a gallant veteran of Mahone's



922 CONFEDERA TE MILITARY HISTOR V.

brigade, was born near Somerton, Nansemond county, October
23, 1842. His parents, Jethro and Susan (Phelps) Hamilton, were
natives of the same county, his father of the same plantation. His
grandfather, John Hamilton, was one of three brothers who came
to Virginia from Scotland before the war of the Revolution and
fought through that struggle in the Continental army, one of
them falling a martyr in the sacred cause of liberty. Early in
April, i86t, before the passage of the ordinance of secession by the
Virginia legislature, Mr. Hamilton, at the age of eighteen years be-
came a private in the Marion Rangers, an organization at Suflolk,
which subsequently was assigned to the Sixteenth Virginia regi-
ment of infantry as Company A under the command of Capt.
Richard O. Whitehead. With this regiment Private Hamilton
served throughout the war, sharing the campaigns and battles of
Mahone's brigade, and Anderson's division. His experience was
rich with adventure and danger, through which he bore himself
as a manly and intrepid soldier. He participated in the battles of
Malvern Hill, Second Manassas, Crampton Gap, Fredericksburg,
Chancellorsville, Salem Church, Gettysburg, Bristoe Station, Mine
Run, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, Anderson's
Farm near Hanover Junction, the Crater, and Hatcher's Run. He
went through these battles without injury until the last year of the
war, when he received three serious wounds: First at Hanover
Junction May 27, 1864, by a minie ball in the right shoulder joint;
second at the Crater on July 30, 1864, where he was struck by a
piece of rifled shell in the left hip, which disabled him until Jan-
uary 18, 186s ; third, a wound in the right hand and wrist, by a
ten-pound rifled shell, received at Hatcher's Run, February 7, 1865.
On account of the last injury he was given a furlough for sixty
days, from February 22, 1865, and saw no more service, the few
remaining weeks of the continuance of the war being spent by him
with friends in the country, as he was unable to reach his home.
He was paroled at Portsmouth, in July, and resumed his civil oc-
cupations. In 1869 he removed from Nansemond to Norfolk coun-
ty, where he has since been engaged in market gardening. He is
a member of Tom Smith camp of Confederate Veterans of Suffolk,
and of the fraternities of Knights of Pythias and the Royal Arca-
num. On December 31, 1874, he was married to Anna H. Love,
and they have five children.

James W. Hammond, of Alexandria, a survivor of Mosby's
command, was born in St. Mary's county, Md., June 16, 1843, but
since 1855 has resided at Alexandria, where he was reared and ed-
ucated after the age of twelve years. At twenty years of age he
entered the service of the Confederate States, making his vvay
through the Federal lines for the purpose, and enlisted as a private,
in June, 1863, in Company B of the Forty-third Virginia cavalry,
under command of Colonel Mosby. Previous to this time he had
been a member of Kemper's battery, but, on account of physical
disability, was rejected when that command was mustered into
the Confederate service. His service with Mosby's command was
brief but active. He participated, in the space of two months, in
twenty-five or thirty skirmishes, and in the important raid at Fair-
fax Court House, where 29 of Mosby's men captured nearly 400
Federal soldiers and a large supply train. On the 17th of August,
following his enlistment, he was wounded and captured, and, after



CONFEDERA TE MILITARY HISTOR V. 923

he had sufficiently recovered to leave the hospital, was sent to the
prison camp at Point Lookout, where he was confined until May,
1865. The deprivations and discomforts of this long and weari-
some imprisonment made a vivid impression upon him and he
will never forget what it meant to be a prisoner of war at Point
Lookout. After his release, May 27, 1865, he returned to Alexan-
dria and soon afterward went to sea on a merchant vessel bound
for Texas. On returning home in the following autumn, he be-
came engaged as an iron moulder, an occupation in which he con-
tinued until compelled to desist by failing health. During the past
seventeen years he has been quite successfully engaged in the ice
business, for three years as manufacturer, and supplying both the
wholesale and retail trade. He is a member of R. E. Lee camp
No. 2, of Alexandria, and of John S. Mosby camp. Confederate
Veterans. On December S. 1866, he was married to Sarah Vir-
ginia Kirk, of Alexandria, and they have three children living.

James Stuart Hanckel was a brave son of South Carolina and
served as corporal in the First South Carolina volunteer regiment
until he lost his life at Sharpsburg. Allan R. Hanckel, judge of
the corporation court at Norfolk, and brother of the above, was
born at Camden, S. C, December 14. 1861, a younger member
of a family which contributed in due measure to the maintenance of
the Confederate government, two having served in the field — one,
James S., mentioned above, the other Louis T., surviving and now
a prominent lawyer and ex-mayor of Charlottesville, Va. Judge
Hanckel is the son of Rev. James Stuart Hanckel, D. D., for sev-
eral years rector of St. Michael's church at Charleston, S. C, and
of the Episcopal church at Charlottesville, Va., from 1869 until his
death, August 23, 1892. He wedded Fannie Trapmann, who was
educated in Scotland during the consulate of her father at Liver-
pool. The grandfather of Judge Hanckel was Rev. Christian
Hanckel, a native of South Carolina and descended, according to
the traditions of the family, from a member of the bodyguard of
Frederick the Great of Prussia, served many years as rector of the
leading church at Charleston, S. C. Judge Hanckel received his
academic education at Charlottesville and was graduated in law by
the university of Virginia in 1883. He came to Norfolk to embark
in the practice in August, 1884, and speedily took a high rank
among the younger members of the bar at that city. In 1886 he
was appointed United States commissioner by Judge Hughes, and
held that position until 1895, when he received from Governor
O'Ferrall the appointment of judge of the corporation court of
Norfolk. During the session of 1895-96 he was elected to the same
position by the legislature for a term ending January i, 1901. This
elevation to the bench at the age of thirty-five years is a high com-
pliment to his legal ability, but is considered by his friends as a
fully deserved honor. On December 11, 1890, he was married to
Alice, daughter of Judge W. J. Robertson, formerly a judge of the
supreme court of appeals of Virginia, one of the most distin-
guished lawyers of the State, who was counsel for the Lee heirs in
the famous Arlington estate case and argued as such before the
United States supreme court, and is now a prominent corporation
attorney representing the Chesapeake & Ohio and Shenandoah &
Norfolk railroads.
Louis T. Hanckel, of Charlottesville, Va., served gallantly wioa



924 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

the South Carolina troops during the great war. He was born at
Charleston, S. C, June 3, 1847, and, in 1864, at the age of seventeen
years, enlisted at Spartanburg in Company B of Major Ballinger's
First battalion South Carolina reserves. He was engaged in active
service along the coast, guarding the Charleston & Savannah rail-
road, and had his first experience in battle at Honey Hill. He par-
ticipated in the battle of Tulifinny Bridge, where the arsenal cadets
fought behind the railroad embankment as breastworks, was
wounded in the leg at the Combahee river and was in several skir-
mishes on the Coosawhatchie and Pocotaligo rivers. J. Stuart
Hanckel, brother of the foregoing, enlisted in 1861 in the Palmetto
Guards of Charleston, S. C, first stationed at Morris island and,
after the fall of Fort Sumter, permitted by the governor, as a
mark of special distinction, to occupy the fort. Subsequently the
company was divided and Hanckel served with the part which en-
tered the army of Northern Virginia, fighting at First Manassas,
and giving up his life at Sharpsburg.

John T. Hargrove, a well-known business man of Norfolk, was
born in Princess Anne county, Va., September 29, 1842. He is the
son of James Hargrove, a native of the same county, born in 1803,
who died in 1880, and was the son of Daniel Hargrove, a soldier
of the war of 1812. His father and grandfather were both farmers
in Princess Anne county. His mother, Martha Fentress, daughter
of Slope Fentress, of the same county, was born about 1821 and
died in 1887. He entered the Confederate service in the spring of
1862 as a private in Company C of the Fifteenth Virginia regiment,
subsequently incorporated in the Fifth regiment. He served in
the campaigns and engagements of his command until he was cap-
tured at the battle of Luray in September, 1864, after which he was
confined at Point Lookout until a considerable time after the close
of the war. He participated in the battles of the Peninsular cam-
paign against McClellan, Second Manassas, Chancellorsville,
Brandy Station, the Wilderness, Cold Harbor, Yellow Tavern,
Luray and other minor engagements. He was twice wounded —
once in the leg on the day that Gen. J. E. B. Stuart was fatally
wounded at Yellow Tavern, and again in the side at Brandy Sta-
tion. He reached home from the military prison camp, June 27,
1865, and during the next few years found occupation upon the
farm. Then he was employed for a time in a grocery store at
Princess Anne Court House, after which he removed to Norfolk
and embarked in the grocery trade independently in 1873. Since
then he has devoted himself entirely to this business, with, it is
pleasing to note, gratifying success. Mr. Hargrove maintains a
membership in Pickett-Buchanan camp. He was married March
27, 1879, to Miss Mollie E. Frost, of Norfolk, and they have six
children.

Isaac R. Harkrader, of Wytheville, was in the Confederate ser-
vice throughout the war, associated with the Twenty-third Virginia
battalion and the brigade of Gen. John Echols. He was born near
Wytheville, May 29, 1834, and, at the secession of Virginia, enlisted
as a private in Company B, Twenty-third battalion, Virginia infan-
try. He was assigned to duty as wagonmaster for the battalion
and he served faithfully and efficiently in this capacity until the
final disbandment of his command. His point of view of the mili-
tary operations was somewhat different from that of the boys in



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 925

the front, but he had his dangers to apprehend and fatigues to en-
dure. The wagon train was a vital point against which the enemy-
directed frequent attacks, and while it was the wagonmaster's duty
rather to escape than fight, provided he escaped with his stores,
the ingenuity and coolness in circumstances of danger, which his
position required, developed in him excellent qualities of soldier-
ship. Mr. Harkrader, in the course of his service, participated in
the Maryland campaign in 1862 and then, returning to Virginia,
went under General Echols' command down the Kanawha valley
to Charleston, W. Va., returning to the narrows of the New river
for the winter. After the Gettysburg campaign he accompanied
his battalion to Richmond, where he was on duty during the severe
fighting of the spring and summer of 1864. He shared the perils
and hardships of the army in the valley during Early's campaign
against Sheridan, and passed the winter of 1864 at Fisher's hill. On
March 2, 1865, he was in the fight at Waynesboro, where the brave
remnant of Early's army made a gallant stand and was almost en-
tirely destroyed. Then, returning to Lynchburg from that place,
he accompanied General Echols in his attempt to unite with Gen-
eral Johnston's army. But it was impossible to make the junction
and the command was disbanded at Mount Airy, N. C. After the
war he returned to his home, near Wytheville, and engaged in
farming. On November 23, 1855, he married a daughter of Henry
Copenhaver and they have one child, Frances B., the wife of Walter
S. White. Mr. Harkrader has served twelve years as sheriff of his
county. He and his wife are members of the Lutheran church and
honored and well respected citizens of the community.

Lieutenant William F. Harrison, of Madison, Va., a veteran of
Kemper's brigade, Pickett's division, was born at the town where
he now resides, September 12, 1840. He completed his education
at Richmond college and, in his twenty-first year, entered the ser-
vice of Virginia and the Confederacy, enlisting as a private in the
volunteer organization, formed in April, 1861, which was assigned
as Company A to the Seventh Virginia infantry, commanded by
Colonel Kemper. In the brigade of General Early, in Beauregard's
army, he took part in the action at Blackburn's Ford and the first
famous battle of the war, the route of the Federal army at Manas-
sas, July 21, 1861. His brigade was subsequently commanded by
General Kemper and, with it, he shared the record of Pickett's
division until the close of the war. He took part in the battles of
Williamsburg, Seven Pines and Frayser's Farm, on the peninsula,
and received a slight wound at Williamsburg. He also par-
ticipated in the battles of Fredericksburg, the Sufiolk and
North Carolina campaigns, including the capture of Plymouth, the
immortal action of his division at Gettysburg, aided in the repulse
of Butler at Drewry's Bluflf and fought many months in the
trenches before Petersburg. His last battles were at Milford Sta-
tion (where he received a severe wound in the left breast). Five
Forks and Sailor's Creek. Being captured with many others in
the latter disastrous encounter, he was held as a prisoner at the
Old Capitol prison and Johnson's island until some time after the
close of hostilities. During the last three years of the war he held
the rank of second lieutenant. Since his return to Madison he has
given considerable of his time to mercantile pursuits, but has alsO'
had a prominent career as a county official. He was first elected



926 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

sheriff in 1874, an office tie held four years. At a later date he was
deputy county treasurer four years, deputy county clerk two years
and, for a time, held the office of county clerk by appointment.
Since January, 1891, he has conducted a successful mercantile es-
tablishment at Madison. He is a member of Kemper-Strother-
Fry camp of Confederate Veterans. On June 30, 1867, he was mar-
ried to Miss Gussie Gordon, of Greene county, and they have eight
children.

Ephraim E. Hathaway, of Norfolk, who enlisted in youth in the
Confederate cause, was born at Norfolk, Va., in 1844. His father,
Ephraim E. Hathaway, Sr., a farmer of Norfolk county, served
with Virginia troops in the Seminole war in Florida, and fell mor-
tally wounded in one of the conflicts with the Indians. He was
educated in the Norfolk schools until he had reached the age of
twelve years, when he entered the printing office of his uncle, John
R. Hathaway, owner and editor of the Norfolk Day Book. In
April, 1861, he joined at Lambert's Point, the St. Bride's light
artillery, under Capt. George A. Martin, but was soon required to
forego his dream of military service. On account of his youth his
uncle secured his release, much to young Hathaway's chagrin.
When Norfolk was abandoned by the Confederate forces, and oc-
cupied by the Federals, he attempted to pass through the lines and
join the Confederate army, but was captured and imprisoned at
Fort Norfolk about three months, after which he was released on
the hard condition that if he again attempted to leave the city he
would meet the fate of a spy. For several years after the war he
was occupied in various ways, mainly as a printer and publisher
in southeastern Virginia and New York, and during this period
established the Norfolk News and the Berkley Daily News, and
was associated with the Suffolk Herald and the Observer. He then
purchased a good printing and publishing plant at Norfolk, where
he and his associates have since conducted a successful business,
in connection with other work publishing a travelers' guide, which
is quite popular. He has taken an active part in political affairs,
and among the veterans of the Confederacy is valued as a friend
-and active comrade. He holds the rank of adjutant in Neimeyer-
Shaw camp, at Norfolk. He was married, in 1869, to Miss Virginia
Butt, who died in 1888; and in 1890 to Miss Emma C. Butt.

Lieutenant George Pitman Haw, a prominent attorney of Rich-
mond, Va., was born in Hanover county, Va., in 1838. He enlisted
in the military service of Virginia, April 23, 1861, as a private in
the Hanover Grays, an organization which was mustered into the
service as Company I of the Fifteenth Virginia regiment. A month
later he was promoted corporal and at the end of the year he was
called to the rank of first lieutenant by (with but one exception) the
unanimous vote of his company. He participated in the early en-
gagements at Young's Mill and Dam No. i, and in the first day's
fight at Williamsburg. Subsequently, at Fair Oaks or Seven Pines,
he did honorable duty, participating in the two days' battle and a
•night attack on the enemy. At Malvern Hill he was also engaged.
Then, participating in the Maryland campaign, he went into the
battle of Sharpsburg with a furlough in his pocket, of which he had
decided not to avail himself while a battle was impending. This
decision was almost fatal, for, in this desperate fight he lost his
left arm and was, in consequence, for some time disabled for any



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 927

active duty and crippled for life. Here, also, he became a prisoner
of war, but was exchanged a month later. Subsequently he was
detailed for duty in the enrolling service and in this work ren-
dered efficient service for one year in Hanover county and, during
the remainder of the war period, in King William county. At
the close of hostilities he took up the study of law and, in 1867,
received a professional diploma from Washington and Lee uni-
versity, which he particularly prizes on account of its bearing the



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 101 of 153)