Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 102 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 102 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


signature of his loved commander, Robert E. Lee. Lieutenant
Haw has been engaged in the practice in Hanover county since
1867, and is now serving his fifth term as commonwealth attor-
ney of that county. He has also, since 1874, maintained an office
at Richmond, and holds an honorable position at the distinguished
bar of that city. He still keeps in touch with the veterans of the
army of Northern Virginia and maintains membership with Pick-
ett camp of the Confederate veterans.

Lieutenant S. H. Hawes, a prominent citizen of Richmond, who
served with distinction in the artillery of the army of Northern
Virginia, entered the State service on April 19, 1861, as a private
in the Richmond Howitzers. After thirteen months' service with
that command, as private and corporal, he was elected second
lieutenant in the Williamsburg artillery. With the latter organi-
zation he remained until the reorganization in the valley of Vir-
ginia, when he was assigned to Fry's, or the Orange county, bat-
tery, with the rank of lieutenant. He served with this command
until the historic 12th of May, 1864, when he was captured during
the successful assault of Hancock's corps upon the "Bloody
Angle," at Spottsyh-ania Court House. During the period of
service, thus briefly outlined, he participated with gallantry in the
engagements of his commands. Subsequent to his capture he
endured the deprivations and suffering of prison life until June i,
186s.

Surgeon William Hay, a patriotic Virginian, who entered the
Confederate service in the Stonewall brigade, was born January
19, 1833, in Clarke county. He was the grandson of William Hay,
a native of Scotland, who came to Virginia in 1777 and married
a daughter of Miles Cary, a brother of Col. Archibald Cary, a
famous Virginia patriot, known as "Old Ironsides," who took a
prominent part in the convention of 1776, which framed the con-
stitution of Virginia. His son, the father of Surgeon Hay, mar-
ried a daughter of Col. Nathaniel Burwell, the proprietor of the
celebrated "Carter Hall," in Clarke county, and a member of the
Virginia house of burgesses. William Hay enlisted in 1861 as
first lieutenant of Company C, Second Virginia infantry, and com-
manded his company in the famous battle of Manassas, July 21,
1861. In the fall of the same year, having had a medical educa-
tion, he was assigned as surgeon to the Thirty-third Virginia in-
fantry, of the same brigade. About the first of June, 1862, in the
midst of the Valley campaign, he was detailed by Gen. Edward
Johnson to take charge of the general hospital at Staunton. Upon the
opening of operations about Richmond and Petersburg in 1864,
he was ordered to field duty there, and, in the performance of
duty, contracted pneumonia, from which he died, June I, 1864, in
the thirty-first year of his age. During his hospital service he
performed many difficult operations and was regarded as one of



928 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

the most expert surgeons on duty in the department. By his mar-
riage, December 25, 1854, to Miss Emily Lewis, o£ Philadelphia,
he had four sons, all of whom are deceased save the eldest, James
Hay. James Hay was born January 9, 1856, in Clarke county, and
was educated in private schools of Maryland and Virginia, at the
university of Pennsylvania and the Washington and Lee univer-
sity, being graduated in law by the latter institution in June, 1877.
In the same year he began the practice of law, also engaging in
teaching school at Harrisonburg. Thence he removed, in 1879, to-
Madison, his present home, where he has met with rnarked suc-
cess in his profession, and in participation in the political aflfairs
of his county and State. Speedily attaining prominence as a
lawyer and winning the confidence of the people, he was elected
attorney for the commonwealth in 1883, and re-elected in 1887,
1891 and 1895. He was chosen by his county for the Virginia
house of delegates in 1885, and again in 1887 and 1889, and elected
to the State senate in 1893. He was a member of the Democratic
State committee four years, and, in 1888, was a delegate to the
national convention of his party. In 1896 he was elected to Con-
gress to represent the Seventh congressional district of Virginia,
and was re-elected in 1898.

William H. Haycock, now a prominent citizen of Georgetown,
D. C, is a native of Virginia, born in Fairfax county, in 1843, and
has an honorable record, as becomes a loyal son of the old com-
monwealth, of participation in several of the brilliant campaigns
and in many of the hard-fought battles of the array of Northern
Virginia. He was reared and educated in Fairfax county, and left
home in his seventeenth year to enter the Confederate service,
enlisting August 25, 1861, in Company H of the Second Virginia
cavalry, as a private, and serving in that capacity until his parole
at Appomattox, April 9, 1865. As a member of Gen. Charles S.
Winder's brigade, in Jackson's division, he served in Stonewall
Jackson's famous Valley campaign of 1862, sharing in the fatigues
of the rapid marching and the perils of the battles of Front Royal,
Winchester, Cross Keys and Port Republic, then marched with
the army to reinforce Lee before Richmond, fought during the
Seven Days' battles before Richmond, and, after the defeat of
McClellan participated in the successful campaign against Pope,
and the battles of Cedar or Slaughter's Mountain and the Second
Manassas. At the latter engagement he received a saber cut in
the arm in an encounter with the major of the Fourth New York
cavalry. He took part also in the Maryland campaign of that
year, fighting at Sharpsburg, and, after the return to Virginia, par-
ticipated in the desperate battles of Fredericksburg and Chan-
cellorsville. At Fredericksburg, Culpeper Court House and
Orange Court House, in 1863, he was entrusted with the duties
of courier for Gen. Fitzhugh Lee. In October, 1863, in a cavalry
engagement at Stevensburg, Va., he was badly wounded and his
horse was killed under him. This misfortune compelled him to
remain on the sick list for a month, after which he took part in
the expedition of the winter of 1863 against the Federals in West
Virginia under Averell. Subsequently he was detailed for duty
in the army postoffice at Richmond, where he remained until a
week before the evacuation, when he went to Appomattox on a
furlough. There he joined his regiment and took part in the final



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 929

transaction of the army. After the dispersal of the troops he went
to Washington, not quite penniless, as he had ten cents as a re-
serve fund with which to embark in a civil career, but with a
brave heart, which was quite as effectual as capital. He made
his home at once at Georgetown, and has remained there, with
the exception of a year at Baltimore, and has prospered in his
affairs. His home happiness was insured by his marriage, March
13, 1866, to Margaret W., daughter of the late Archer A. LeGrand,
of Appomattox county, Va., and they have eight children: W.
Hunter; Caroline M., wife of J. W. Marshall, of Charlottesville,
Va.; Mahlon L.. Marshall, Robert L., Louisa V., Susan B. and
Ira C.

William Dade Hempstone, clerk of the courts of Loudoun county,
is a native of Leesburg, born December 18, 1847. At the outbreak
of the war, in 1861, he was but a childish observer of the thrilling
■ events which opened the long and bitter struggle of which Vir-
ginia was the battle ground, but, before he had completed his six-
teenth year, his eagerness to participate in the war was rewarded
by appointment as special courier to the inspector-general of
the army of Northern Virginia. He enlisted for this service on
September 12, 1864, and served in that capacity during the remain-
der of the war, surrendering with the army at Appomattox Court
House in April, 1865. He then returned to Leesburg, and, after
some time spent in agricultural pursuits, turned his attention to
the law, in which he perfected himself and then practiced the pro-
fession for a number of years. On February 18, 1894, he was
appointed clerk of the courts of Loudoun county, a position he has
subsequently filled with much ability and to the satisfaction of
the bar and the public. His youthful but gallant service qualifies
him for membership in the Clinton Hatcher camp of United Con-
federate Veterans, where he is a valued comrade. In 1893 Mr.
Hempstone was married to Elsie Chichester Harrison, a daughter
of William B. Harrison, of Leesburg, who was the constructor of
Fort Harrison in the line of Richmond defenses north of the river
James, considered the strongest fortification in that long line,
which for so many months defied the attacks of the Federal army.
Mr. Hempstone and wife have two children, a boy and a girl.

Captain Edward M. Henry, a citizen of Norfolk, Va., where he
occupies a leading position in the community, achieved a gallant
record as a cavalry officer in the army of Northern Virginia, and
has since the close of the war period been active in the cause of
the Confederate soldier. He entered the service in the spring of
1861. being then about twenty-nine years of age, as a private in
the Stafford rangers, a cavalry company which was organized in
i860, under Capt. James Ashby, a brother of the lamented Turner
Ashby. The first duty of this command was intended to be guard
service at the execution of John Brown, the raider at Harper's
Ferry, but at that event it was detailed by Governor 'Wise on
other service. Subsequently, on account of the threatening cour
dition of affairs, the company was maintained, and was called out
by the State on April 21. 1861. It was then under command of
Capt. Thomas Waller, and was mustered into the Confederate
army as Company A of the Ninth Virginia cavalry. In this com-
mand Private Henry served gallantly throughout the war, being
promoted for bravery and meritorious conduct through the lieu-



930 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

tenancies to the command of the company as captain, serving in
the latter rank from the fall of 1863 until the surrender at Appo-
mattox. He participated in the Seven Days' fighting before Rich-
mond in 1862, and during the vvrinter of 1862-63 was on the picket
line on the Rappahannock river. In the spring of 1863, with
Stuart's command, he encountered Stoneman's cavalry at Culpeper
Court House, and on June 9th he participated in the battle between
Stuart's and Pleasanton's cavalry corps at Brandy station, one of the
greatest and most spirited cavalry fights of the war. Here Capt.
Thomas Towson, of his company, was killed and Lieutenant Henry
was slightly wounded. Soon afterward he rode with Stuart on the
great raid around the Federal army through Westminster, Md.,
and Hanover and Carlisle barracks. Pa., to Gettysburg, and
after the return to Virginia of the army he served with his com-
mand on picket duty for some time. During the year 1864 he
participated in many engagements, including Spottsylvania Court'
House, and took part in the pursuit of the Wilson-Kautz raiders
and fights at Sappony church and Reams' station. In action near
Petersburg he was seriously wounded and disabled for duty for
two months. At Five Forks he participated in that last important
battle of the war in Virginia, but with the main part of the cavalry
he did not surrender at Appomattox, and was subsequently paroled
at Ashland, Va. In 1870 Captain Henry became a citizen of Nor-
folk, where he has since held a notable position among its people,
serving at one time as mayor of the city, and for several years as
president of the Business men's association, of which he was
one of the organizers. Since 1894 he has held the office of assist-
ant postmaster at Norfolk. At the organization of the order of
United Confederate Veterans, he took a prominent part, being one
of the charter members of Pickett-Buchanan camp, and its com-
mander for two years, with title of colonel. He also assisted in
the formation of the grand camp of Virginia, and during the first
year of the existence of the order held the position of aide-de-
camp, with the rank of brigadier-general, United Confederate Vet-
erans, upon the staflf of the general commanding, John B. Gordon.
This title of general is now usually accorded to him in civil life,
and is honorably borne. Mr. Henry was married in 1864 to
Indiana V. Kilby, of Suflfolk, a sister of the late Dr. John T.
Kilby, who was a captain in the Confederate army.

William Wirt Henry, of Richmond, was born February 14, 1831,
at Red Hill, Charlotte county, Va. His father, John Henry, was
the youngest son of the illustrious patriot, Patrick Henry, whose
wife was Dorothea Spottswood Dandridge, granddaughter of
Gov. Alexander Spottswood. His mother was a granddaughter
of Col. William Cabell, prominent as a Revolutionary soldier
and statesman. William Wirt Henry, named in honor of the
biographer of • his grandfather, was educated at .the university
of Virginia in letters, and in law as a student with Judge Hunter
H. Marshall, and was admitted to practice in 1853, settling at
Charlotte Court House, Va. In 1854 he was married to Lucy
Gray, daughter of Col. James Pulliam Marshall, a soldier of the
war of 1812. He was not an advocate of secession in 1860-61, but
vvhen Virginia allied herself with the Confederacy he gave the
highest proof of loyalty to her interests and those of the entire
South by volunteering as a private soldier in an artillery company



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 931

commanded by Capt. Charles Bruce. He served with this battery
on the coast of Georgia and North Carolina until the reorganiza-
tion of the army, when he was honorably discharged, being attor-
ney for the commonwealth of his county. Subsequently he con-
tributed in various ways to the cause of the Confederate govern-
ment until the close of the struggle for Southern independence.
Then continuing his law practice, he removed to Richmond in
1873, and speedily gained prominence at the bar of the supreme
court. He was tendered, but declined, the appointment of chan-
cellor of the city at the death of Judge Fitzhugh. He represented
the city two terms in the house of delegates, and two in the State
senate, with prominence as a debater and a wise political leader.
Since that service he has not held office, preferring to devote his
leisure to literary work. His contributions to historical literature,
principally on colonial subjects, are numerous and valuable, the
most famous being that monumental work, "The Life, Letters and
Correspondence of Patrick Henry." He has served as president
of the Virginia historical society and of the American historical as-
sociation; as a member of the Peabody board, as a commissioner
from Virginia to the centennial celebration of the national govern-
ment, was one of the orators at the centennial celebration of 1876,
and delivered the oration at the centennial of the laying of the
cornerstone of the Capitol. He is also prominent in the local
work and national councils of the Presbyterian church.

Richard L. Herbert, an active and enterprising citizen of Ports-
mouth, who served from 1894 as postmaster of the city, was born
there July 12, 1846, the son of Francis C. and Mary E. Herbert,
both natives of the city. He was educated at the Webster insti-
tute until he had reached the age of fifteen years, when, in the
latter part of 1862, he determined to join the Confederate forces.
With two companions, W. C. Nash and W. H. Morris, he made
his way through the lines of the Federals, who then held the city,
and started for Wilmington, where they hoped to get aboard a
blockade runner. But meeting, at Murphy's station, Capt. John R.
White, provost marshal, who advised them to go to Richmond
and join the Light Artillery Blues or Grimes' battery, they changed
their course, and at Richmond fell into the friendly hands of Capt.
John H. Thompson. The latter did not favor the wish of the
runaway boys to go to the front, but, on account of their youth,
secured them positions in the shops at Richmond, where their
work would be as important to the success of the cause. Young
Herbert was enlisted in Company A of the naval battalion, but
throughout the war he continued in the machine department at
Richmond, devoted to the production of war material. During
this service he became a thorough machinist and engineer, and
when he returned to Portsmouth, after his parole in 1865, he read-
ily found ernployment. He was connected with the Seaboard &
Roanoke railroad until 1868 as machinist, and then until 1870 as
locomotive engineer. In the latter year he became an engineer in
the fire department of the city of Portsmouth, a position he re-
signed in 1883 to accept that of general superintendent of the elec-
tric light and gas company. This post he held for ten years,
during which period the first electric light plant in that region
was installed and other important improvements made. During
all this time he had taken an active part in municipal and political



S32 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

■affairs, serving as chairman of the Democratic city committee from
1873 to 1893, holding a seat in the city council two terms, and
representing Portsmouth in the legislature in 1887-88. On March
1, 1894, having retired from his previous position on account of
failing eyesight, he received from President Cleveland the appoint-
ment as postpiaster of Portsmouth. In this important station he
has been zealous in the interests of the public, and has succeeded
in putting the ofKce in the front rank of its class in character of
administration and improved conveniences. Mr. Herbert was
made a Mason in 1869, is a past master and Knight Templar, and
is also a member of the Odd Fellows, Royal Arcanum and Hepta-
sophs. He was married. May 25, 1870, to Mary E. Brown,
daughter of Benjamin W. Brown, of Portsmouth, and they have
four children: Caldor H., J. Pendleton, Richard Ainsworth and
Ethel Brown.

Captain James E. Herrell, a gallant veteran of the Seventeenth
Virginia infantry, was born in Fauquier county, Va., March 24,
1843. He was educated in the public schools of Marshall, Va.,
and in 1857 removed to Prince William county, where the remain-
der of his youth was spent until the spring of 1861. Then, at the
age of eighteen years, he enlisted in the Prince William Rifles,
which was mustered into the Confederate service as Company F
-of the Seventeenth regiment. Enlisting as a private, he was made
a first lieutenant at the reorganization and in 1864 was promoted
captain, the rank he held at the close of the war. His service
in the field embraced the entire war, except a period when he was
■detailed upon conscript duty, from just subsequent to the Seven
Days' battles until after the Maryland campaign. Among the
noted engagements in which he participated with his command
were Blackburn's Ford, Williamsburg, Manassas Gap, Seven Pines,
Frayser's Farm, Fredericksburg, Suffolk, Flat Creek Bridge,
Drewry's Bluff, Dinwiddle Court House, Five Forks and Sailor's
Creek. After the surrender of the army of Northern Virginia he
returned to his home in Prince William county and was engaged
in mercantile pursuits until 1888, during several years also acting
as magistrate. In 1891 he was appointed to the office of deputy
sheriff and discharged the duties of that position with ability until
1893, and was then appointed deputy clerk, an office he has since
filled. He is an active member of Ewell camp. United Confeder-
ate Veterans, and is its present commander. He is also prominent
in the Masonic order. In 1867 he was married to Miss Jane S.
Hatton, of Richmond, and they have eight children.

James Christian Hill, who rendered distinguished service, with
promotion to the rank of major, in the army of Northern Vir-
ginia, and since the war has been prominent in public affairs, was
born in Charles City county, Va., in 1831. At the age of six years
he was taken by his parents to their new home in New Kent
•county, where he received his education. Removing to Richmond
about 1849 he resided there until i860, when he came to Albemarle
county, which has subsequently been his home. On May 9, 1861,
he entered the service in Company E of the Forty-sixth Virginia
infantry. Joining the ranks as a private, he was soon afterward
promoted captain, and in the latter part of 1863 was promoted
major, the rank he held during the remainder of his service. His
military record was a gallant one, embracing participation in the



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 933

Seven Days' battles before Richmond, the operations about
Charleston, S. C, and the engagements around Richmond and
Petersburg in 1864. While fighting in the defense of Petersburg,
Jime 17, 1864, he received a wound which caused the loss of his
right arm, and disabled him for further duty with the army. He
was paroled at Palmyra, Va., in June, 1865, and then returned to
home life in Albemarle county. Becoming prominent in public
affairs and in political councils, he was elected 10 the legislature
from Albemarle county, and served with efficiency from 1869 to
1873. Subsequently, in 1877, he was elected to the position of
sergeant of arms of the house of delegates, and by re-election
held this position during the following ten years. He was then,
in March, 1877, elected railroad commissioner of Virginia, and
continued in that office until the present time by five successive
re-elections. He is one of the prominent men of the State and
possesses wide influence. His membership in the Confederate
veterans' association is in Henry Gantt camp, of Albemarle county,
of which he is commander. Major Hill's maternal grandfather,
Joseph Christian, a native of Charles City county, served as a
captain in the war of the Revolution, and with such gallantry as
to win the soubriquet of "Fighting Joe Christian." His brother,
Allen Hill, served in the Confederate cause, as orderly sergeant of
Major Hill's company, and suffered the loss of his left arm at
Petersburg in 1865. He now resides at Roanoke, Va.

Captain Thomas M. Hodges, a prominent civil engineer of
Portsmouth, Va.. was a gallant soldier of the army of Northern
Virginia, and identified in his military career with the altogether
worthy record of Company A of the Third regiment of Virginia
infantry. Of this company, which was organized under the title
of the Dismal Swamp Rangers, at Deep Creek, Norfolk county, in
1856, he held the rank of first sergeant at the outbreak of the war,
and, in addition to this military experience, he had had the advan-
tage of training at the Webster military academy at Portsmouth.
On April 19, 1861, Capt. James C. Choate then in command, appre-
hending trouble at the Gosport navy yard, mustered his command
under arms and marched to Portsmouth, where the governor's
orders the next day found the men ready for action. In the fall
of 1861 Captain Choate resigned and Lieut. John R. White became
captain. The latter soon afterward taking the position of commis-
sary of the regiment, Hodges, who had been promoted through the
lieutenancies, was elected captain, the rank he held during the re-
tflainder of the war. At the battle of Five Forks he had command
of the regiment and surrendered it at Appomattox. On June 7,
1861, his company left Hospital battery, with the Third regiment,
for Burwell's bay, where it remained until ordered to the reinforce-
ment of Magruder on the lines at Yorktown, in March, 1862. It
took part in the repulse of McClellan at Dam No. 2, and fought
at Williamsburg until withdrawn on the retreat toward Richmond.
The company took part in the two days' fighting at Seven Pines
and all the Seven Days' battles except Malvern Hill, when it
was held in reserve, suflfering severe loss at Frayser's Farm, losing,
out of sixty-eight men. five killed, including two lieutenants, and
seventeen wounded. It fought at Second Manassas, Harper's
Ferry and Sharpsburg, terminating the campaign of 1862 by hon-
-orable action at Fredericksburg. At the battle of Gettyslaurg
Va 59



934 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

Company A was deployed as skirmishers, and, under command of
Captain Hodges, led the charge of Kemper's brigade of Pickett's
division up Cemetery hill. Captain Hodges and Lieutenant
White were wounded, and Lieutenant Gary was captured. On
recovering from his wounds, Captain Hodges returned to his com-
mand and served during the campaigns of 1864 and 1865, at the
last leading the remnant of the Third regiment. It is an interest-
ing fact regarding the service of Company A at Gettysburg, that,
though it was in the skirmish line .and received the fire of the



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 102 of 153)