Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 104 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 104 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


He continued to serve as captain of his gallant company, with un-
failing courage and devotion to the cause, until the surrender at
Appomattox, Receiving his parole, he returned to Richmond, and,
on December 19, 1865, was appointed to the police force of the city
by David J. Saunders, then mayor under the military government.
In July, ia36, he was appointed roundsman, and in July, 1868, was
made acting sergeant, serving in that capacity until the military
commander superseded all such officers by his own appointments.
When, under the enabling act of 1870, Maj. John Poe, as chief of
police, organized the force, Captain Howard was appointed sergeant
and assigned to duty with eight men to guard the capitol and gov-
ernor's mansion. Subsequently assigned to the First district, he
was promoted captain, and finally elected chief of police of the city,
to succeed Major Poe. As the guardian of the peace of the city,
his conduct is marked by the same manly courage which charac-
terized his service as a Confederate soldier. As he obeyed orders
without question, he now enforces the laws as he finds them.

John Q. Hozier, now residing at Lambert's Point, near Norfolk,
did faithful service in the army of Northern Virginia. He was
born in Norfolk county, August 27, 1843. His grandfather, Samp-
son Hozier, a native of Scotland, was a soldier in the Revolution-
ary army of the colonies. His father, Joseph Hozier, born at Nor-
folk, September 21, 1805, died September 21, 1856, was for thirty
years captain of the watch at the Norfolk navy yard. His mother,
Harriet, daughter of James Godfrey, a farmer, was born in Cam-
den county, N. C, February 14, 1809, and died October 2, 1873.
At the age of sixteen Mi. Hozier was apprenticed to the car-
penter's trade, and had been thus engaged but a little over two
years when he enlisted in the Confederate service, July 15, 1861, as
a private in the St. Bride's artillery, commanded by Capt. George
A. Martin. With this command he served until the reorganization
in March, 1862, when he was transferred to the Floyd Guards, after-
ward Company K of the Sixty-first Virginia regiment of infantry.
In the campaigns and engagements participated in by this regi-
ment, he took part until November 3, 1863, when he was dis-
charged on account of sickness. His disability was such that he
was unable to re-enter the military service. As soon as sufficiently
recovered he resumed his trade, to which he has since given his
principal attention, with notable success. He was a good soldier
and is an upright citizen. March 11, 1864, he was married to Rob-
erta M. Cutler, and they have four children living, Leon, Hattie R.,
Ethel and Hazel. Two sons deceased were John C., killed by light-
ning at the age of twelve years, and Joseph E. Johnston. The
eldest son, a soldierly youth, is a member of the Fourth Virginia
regiment.



942 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

Edmund Wilcox Hubard, rector of St. Paul's church, at Salem,
Va., achieved an honorable record during the war of the Confed-
eracy as a private in the cavalry of the army of Northern Virginia.
He was born in Buckingham county in 1841, and there reared and
educated. In the fall of 1863 he entered the military service, be-
coming a member of Company K of the Fourth Virginia cavalry.
With this command he served during the remainder of the war,
his record embracing participation in the cavalry engagements at
Spottsylvania, from Spottsylvania to Yellow Tavern, Todd's Tav-
ern, skirmishes with Sheridan's cavalry from Spottsylvania to Rich-
mond, Hawe's Shop, Meadow Bridge, near Pole Green Church,
Opequan Creek, near Winchester, the fight at Winchester under
Early, Front Royal, Millwood, Weir's Cave and Waynesboro. At
. the engagement near Pole Green church he was struck on the head
by a musket ball and disabled in consequence about three months.
At the disastrous aflfair of Waynesboro he was again badly wound-
ed, in the left hip, and disabled from the last of September until
the spring of 1865. He was able to return to his command before
the evacuation of Petersburg, and he served faithfully at Five Forks
and during the retreat, at High Bridge and Amelia Springs. After
the latter encounter he went to his home to procure a fresh horse,
and, before his return was possible, the war came to an end. In
September, 1865, he entered the theological seminary at Alexan-
dria, Va., where he was graduated in 1868. In the same year he
was ordained deacon in the Protestant Episcopal church, and priest
in June, i86g. His service for the church, which immediately be-
gan, was rendered from the fall of 1868 until July, 1872, at Bote-
tourt parish; at Owensboro, Ky., during the following year, and
at Brandon, Va., from 1873 to 1875. Subsequently he was in
charge at Lynchburg a year, in Rappahannock county from 1877
to 1880, in Bedford county to 1890, and, since the latter date, at
Salem, Va. In 187S Mr. Hubard was married in Louisa county to
Julia L. Taylor and their home is blessed with three children. His
career in the army of peace has been no less true and devoted than
the performance of his duty in the army led by Lee in defense of
the homes and the rights of the South.

George W. Hubble, M. D., now a prominent physician at Chil-
howie, in southwest Virginia, made a gallant record as a private
of the Third Tennessee infantry. He was born in Cass county,
Mo., April 24, 1844, and was left an orphan at the age of four years
by the death of his father. His mother then removed with her fam-
ily to the home of her father in Giles county, Tenn., where he was
reared to the age of seventeen years. He then, on May 22, 1861,
entered the Confederate service, and was mustered in as fifth ser-
geant of Company D of the Third Tennessee infantry regiment,
at Nashville. While in camp at Camp Cheatham he was taken sick
and compelled to go home for six weeks, but he rejoined his com-
mand at Bowling Green, Ky., a short time before it was ordered to
Fort Donelson. In the battle of February 15, he was with his regi-
ment in Col. John C. Brown's brigade of General Buckner's divi-
sion, in the gallant attack upon Grant's army, driving back the
Federals and gaining possession of the road desired for the withr
drawal of the garrison. Unfortunately there were delay and errors
in the disposition of the forces and Grant received reinforcements
which made further attack hopeless. After the capitulation he was



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 943

held as a prisoner at Chicago for seven months, and then ex-
changed at Vicksburg, Miss. His command was reorganized at
Jackson, Miss., with Capt. Calvin H. Walker, colonel; Capt. C.
C. Clark, lieutenant-colonel, and Lieut. T. M. Tucker, major.
They were then ordered to support the army of Van Dorn and
Price, which they joined near Holly Springs about October lo,
1862. The regiment marched with this army to Grenada, en route
participating in a skirmish at Springdale, driving away a Federal
force which was about to destroy the railroad. They had been
then assigned to the brigade of General Tilghman and consolidated
with the Thirtieth Tennessee regiment, which had also just re-
turned from prison camp. On Christmas day, 1862, they reached
Vicksburg, and, under the command of Col. C. H. Walker in the
brigade of Gen. S. D. Lee, tgok a conspicuous part in the defeat
of Sherman's army at Chickasaw Bluflf. As general Pemberton re-
ported, "The Third, Thirtieth and Eightieth Tennessee regirnents
occupied the rifle pits in front and behaved with distinguished
coolness and courage " Walker's command killed and captured
about one thousand Federals, five flags out of the seven brought
on the field, and fifteen hundred stand of small arms; also killing
all the horses that appeared in their front. Their main loss,
aside from the killing of Major Tucker and Lieutenant Bass, was
caused by the explosion of a caisson, which did not injure any of
the Third Tennessee, but killed a staff officer of Gen. S. D. Lee.
Dr. Hubble, on January 7, accompanied his regiment to Port Hud-
son, where Gregg's brigade was formed, and his regiment now
being recruited was detached from the Thirtieth, and, under
Colonel Walker, continued on active duty throughout the Vicks-
burg campaign. While at Port Hudson, then under the command
of Gen. Frank Gardner, they witnessed the bombardment of the
post and the destruction of a Federal vessel by the water batteries.
Moving toward Jackson, May 2, Dr. Hubble took part in the gal-
lant fight of Gregg's brigade at Raymond, against the corps of
Sherman and Logan, his regiment losing two hundred out of six
hundred engaged. At Mississippi Springs they met General Gist, of
South Carolina, who covered the retreat to Jackson. This city they
evacuated after forty-eight hours and then moved to Yazoo City,
and returned to Big Black river, where they were encamped for a
few days. On Sunday, July 4, they drew and cooked three days'
rations, expecting to attack Grant's rear on the morning of the
5th, but, hearing of the surrender of Vicksburg, they marched at
an early hour for Jackson, where they stood a siege of ten
days, thence falling back slowly to Enterprise, and thence to
Chickamauga. At Pea Vine creek they were ordered into line of
battle, which they did not leave until the battle of Chickamauga
had been fought. In this conflict they were part of Bushrod
Johnson's division, Buckner's corps. It was here that Colonel
Walker made his famous address to the regiment. On Sunday
evening, September 20th, on Snodgrass Hill, the Confederate lines
had been pushed back twice. Steedman had arrived with his divi-
sion of Granger's reserve corps. There were no reinforcements at
hand and the day seemed lost, as the lines were shattered. It was
at this supreme moment that Col. C. H. Walker took off his cap,
exposing his bald head which glistened in the sun, and exclaimed:
"Boys, are you going to leave this old bald head? I'm going to



944 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

die right here." His words were magical and, calling to his aid
Lieutenant Seymore of the Tenth Tennessee, both regiments were
quickly reformed and moved up to the crest of the ridge to stay.
Lieutenant Seymore was one of the Light brigade and was wounded
twice at the charge of Balaklava. The regiment called Colonel Walk-
er "Old Bailie." Dr. Hubble was severely wounded in this battle,
his right leg being crushed by two pieces of shell, and he was no-
longer able to serve on the field. Removing to Virginia after the
war, he studied medicine at Bellevue and Long Island college-
hospitals and established himself in the practice at Chilhowie.

Captain John M. Hudgin, Bowling Green, Va., was born in
Caroline county in 1839. His father was Robert Hudgin, who held
the ofHce of clerk of Caroline county about sixty years and died
at the age of ninety. His mother was Sarah Graham, daughter of
Walter Graham of Prince William, and Sarah Richards of Stafford
county, and closely related to the Grahams, of Prince William
county, Va., who were descended from John Graham of Hilern,
in the shire of Sterling, Scotland. John Graham was the grandfather
of Col. Thomas Montrose Graham of the Eleventh United States
infantry, who was killed at the city of Mexico; also James D.
Graham^ of topographical engineers, an officer of mark who grad-
uated with distinction in 1817; and Gen. Lawrence Pike Graham^
who distinguished himself in the Florida wars and fought in
the Federal army in the civil war between the States. These three
officers were descended from Dr. William Graham, of Prince Wil-
liam county, Va., who also served gallantly as an officer in the
Revolutionary struggle. By both ancestral lines Captain Hudgin
is connected with worthy colonial families. He was educated in
the private schools of his native county and at Lynchburg college,
and, in 1861, entered the law department of the university of Vir-
ginia, intending to prepare himself for the profession of law. Al-
most simultaneously, however, the State allied itself with the Con-
federacy, and, upon the call for troops, young Hudgin entered the
Confederate service as a member of the Thirtieth regiment of in-
fantry. In 1861 his command was stationed at Aquia creek under
General Holmes, guarding the Potomac river, thence reinforced
the army at Manassas, and subsequently did duty in North Caro-
lina and east Tennessee. In the campaign of 1862 he commanded
his company, and with his regiment occupied Loudoun Heights
during the investment of Harper's Ferry by General Jackson's com-
mand. At this time the regiment was part of the brigade of Gen.
John G. Walker, who had command of the division in which it
was placed. The company was actively engaged in the battle of
September 17th, at Sharpsburg, from beginning to end. As sharp-
shooters they held position, at the opening, on the extreme right of
the army, but about 10 a. m.. Walker's command was hurried to the
support of the extreme left (Hudgin's battalion of sharpshooters
following promptly), where the Confederates were being pressed
back. The regiment was falling back when Hudgin went into
battle. General Walker, in his official report, said,"The division ad-
vanced in splendid style, firing and cheering as they went, and, in
a few minutes, cleared the woods, strewing it with the enemy's-
wounded and dead. Colonel Manning, with the Forty-sixth and
Forty-eighth North Carolina and Thirtieth Virginia, not content
with the possession of the woods, dashed forward in gallant style.



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 945

■crossed the open fields beyond, driving the enemy before him like
sheep." Subsequently, in the report, Captain Hudgin's company
is mentioned as having remained on the field and fought hand-
somely throughout the day, after the remainder of the Thirtieth
had been disorganized under the severe fire of the enemy. Subse-
quently, in 1862, near Fredericksburg, Va., his regiment was as-
signed to Corse's brigade of Pickett's division, in which it served
during the remainder of the war. From his participation in the
campaign against New Bern, N. C, in 1864, he was called to the
defense of Richmond. The Thirtieth, with the Seventeenth Vir-
ginia, had a successful encounter with a Federal raiding party at
Mattoax Station, thereby saving an iron bridge of vital importance
to the Confederate capital, and he then with his command joined
Beauregard at Drewry's bluff, where the enemy was repulsed and
driven back to Bermuda Hundred. During the siege he partici-
pated in the defense of Richmond and in many engagements about
the city, fought conspicuously at Five Forks, and finally at Sailor's
Creek, where he was distinguished in a charge which resulted in
the recapture of a piece of artillery from the enemy. After the
surrender at Appomattox he returned to Bowling Green
and soon embarked in the practice of law, in which he
has been notably successful. He has been influential in
public affairs, and has occupied several positions of prom-
inence in civil life. He has served as county chairman of the polit-
ical organization of his county, and attended as alternate delegate
the National convention at Chicago which nominated Mr. Cleve-
land in 1884. For four terms he represented his county in the
State assembly, and has twice been strongly supported for the
nomination to Congress. In 1894 he was appointed to the impor-
tant position of United States marshal for the eastern district of
Virginia. His membership with the Confederate Veterans' associa-
tion is in Pickett camp of Richmond, Va. Captain Hudgin still
maintains his historic home at "Shepherd's Hill" in Caroline
county, noted as being at one time the headquarters of General
Hancock.

Captain Benjamin F. Hudgins, a native of Elizabeth City county,
Va., entered the service of Virginia and the Confederacy in corn-
mand of the Hampton Grays, a gallant company of volunteers,
with whom he served as captain during the first two years of the
war. He then was detailed for duty on the staff of Gen. J. E. B.
Stuart, and during the remainder of the struggle he served in this
capacity, with gallantry and efficiency, on the staffs of General
Stuart and other commanders. Upon the close of hostilities he
•engaged in farming for a time, and then embarked in business as
a dealer in coal and wood. From 1882 he conducted this business
with rnuch success, at Hampton, until his death, March 21, 1894.
His wife, Rebecca Bland Worsham, a native of Dinwiddle county,
died February 22. 1884. Their son, Astley Cooper, was reared upon
the farm in Elizabeth City county, where he was born March 24,
1871, to the age of twelve years. Since then he has been a resident
of Hampton. He was educated at the Virginia military institute
and William and Mary college, leaving the latter institution in
1889 to assist his father in business. From October, 1889, to 1896
he was connected with the bank of Hampton in various impor-
tant and responsible positions, and resigned this employment to



946 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

form a partnership with his brother, K. W. Hudgins, as the suc-
cessors in business of their father. Tliese two worthy sons of a
gallant Confederate officer are very successful in business and
socially popular, and have before them a useful career. Mr. Hud-
gins is a member of Hampton camp, Sons of Confederate Veterans,
and is a communicant of St. John's Episcopal church.

Lieutenant Henry C. Hudgins, a veteran of Armistead's brigade,
Pickett's division, army of Northern Virginia, now residing at
Portsmouth, was born in Matthews county, Va., September 19,
1841. His father, Capt. Robert K. Hudgins, married Sarah J.
White, granddaughter of Major Davenport of the Continental
army of the Revolutionary war. When Virginia seceded. Captain
Hudgins resigned his commission as captain in the U. S. revenue
marine service, and entered the service of the Confederacy, and
was assigned to duty in the heavy ordnance department, in which
capacity he served throughout the war. He now resides at Nor-
folk. The outbreak of the war found Lieut. H. C. Hudgins, a
youth of nirveteen years, at New Orleans, where he accepted in
January, 1861, the position of secretary to Commodore Rousseau of
the Confederate States navy, which he resigned when his State
seceded and promptly returned to Virginia and entered the service
as a private in the Old Dominion Guard, one of the finest com-
panies of the Virginia volunteers. He served with this company
at Pinner's point until the evacuation of Norfolk, after which the
company was assigned to the Ninth Virginia infantry as Com-
pany K. With his regiment he participated in the battles of Seven
Pines, Malvern Hill, Second Manassas, Harper's Ferry, Sharps-
burg and Fredericksburg. Having previously been promoted to first
sergeant, he was unanimously elected by his company as first
lieutenant in 1862. He took part in the Suffolk and New Bern
expedition of Longstreet's corps and Pickett's division, and par-
ticipated in the battle of Gettysburg in the historic assault of Pick-
ett's division upon Cemetery hill, where he was wounded, but es-
caped capture. Captain Allen, commanding Company K, having
been captured at the "stone wall," on the same field, Lieutenant
Hudgins, after he was able to return to duty, assumed command
and acted as captain during the remainder of his active service until
the end of the war. After the Pennsylvania campaign. Lieutenant
Hudgins was sent with his company to "Camp Lee" Richmond, to
recruit, and while stationed there as senior officer in command of
"Camp Lee" battalion, co-operated with the local defense in pro-
tecting the city against the raid of Kilpatrick's cavalry. Having
rejoined his regiment he participated in several engagements
around Richmond and at Bermuda Hundred finally surrendering
to General Wright's army corps near Danville; was paroled and
returned home. Since the war he has been engaged in the trans-
portation business at Norfolk; first with steamship companies, and
since 1881 as general freight and passenger agent of the Norfolk
& Southern railroad. At the reorganization of his old company in
1875, he was elected captain, and upon the organization of the
Fourth Virginia regiment, he was chosen its first colonel. He has
served as commander of Stonewall camp, Confederate Veterans, of
Portsmouth. In public affairs he has been active as a member of
the city council, Portsmouth; and is a director in the board of
trade and business men's association of Norfolk. In 1867 Colonel



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 947

Hudgins was married to Miss Lulie Langhorne, and they have
seven children living.

Robert S. Hudgins, first commander of R. E. Lee camp, United
Confederate Veterans, at Hampton, was born in Elizabeth City
county, May 28, 1842. His ancestors, originally of Scotch origin,
were for many years identified with the history of the colony and
State, and several members of the family participated in the war
of the Revolution. His father, Robert Hudgins, born in 1799,
in Matthews county, died in i860, was a wealthy planter and slave
owner. He married Harriet Jones, daughter of Col. Thomas Jones,
a prominent planter of King William county, whose wife was a
daughter of Colonel McDowell, of the British army, and of an
ancestry running back to the Howards of England. Mrs. Robert
Hudgins had two brothers and one sister — Anderson; Franklin,
who married Alice Monroe, sister of President Monroe, and Susan,
who married Dr. Dew. Robert S. Hudgins was the youngest
of five children: Benjamin F., who served during the Confederate
war as captain of the Hampton Grays and died in 1894; Ella, who
married James W. Downey, and now resides at Houston, Texas;
Salina, who married Sidney S., son of Judge Philip Norbon
Nichols, of Richmond, and now resides at New York city; and
Annie, wife of Robert W. Drewry, of Richmond, now deceased.
He was reared upon the farm and educated at John B. Cary's mili-
tary academy at Hampton. He rendered his first service to Vir-
ginia and the Confederacy as a member of a volunteer company, on
picket duty at Old Point Comfort as early as February, 1861. After
the secession of the State he became a member of the Old Dominion
Dragoons, organized at Hampton, and subsequently attached to
the Third Virginia cavalry, Fitz Lee's brigade of Stuart's cavalry.
His battles, begun at Big Bethel, were numerous, and the minor
encounters with the enemy still greater in number. There was
not a battle of the army of Northern Virginia in which the Third
Virginia did not have some important part, either in the actual
encounter or in the collisions which preceded or followed the main
fight. He rode and fought with Fitzhugh Lee and Stuart to the
end, and was within sight of the lamented Stuart when he fell at
Yellow Tavern He was finally paroled at Appomattox, having
escaped without serious wounds, though he was struck several
times by the enemy's missiles, and had his clothing frequently
pierced. Since the return of peace he has given his attention to
agricultural pursuits at the old home in Elizabeth City county, re-
siding upon one of his farms until 1893, when he made his home
at Hampton. He was one of the principal organizers of the Con-
federate camp at Hampton, and served as its first commander, pre-
viously having been a member of R. E. Lee camp. No. i, at Rich-
mond. On December 12, 1876, he married Mrs. Frances Ann
Causey, widow of William Norris Causey, and daughter of Francis
Schmelz, late of Hampton. They have a son, Robert S. Hudgins,
Jr. Francis F. Causey, son of Mrs. Hudgins by her former mar-
riage, is a promising young attorney of Hampton.

Colonel Frank Huger, born at Fortress Monroe, September 29,
1837, died at Roanoke, Va., June 11, 1897, was one of the most dis-
tinguished artillery officers of the First corps of the army of North-
ern Virginia He was a son of Gen. Benjamin Huger, of the
United States and Corifederate States armies, and a member of
the noted South Carolina family of that name. Colonel Huger
was graduated at West Point in i860, in a class which included



•948 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

Gens. Horace Poiter, Wesley Merritt, James H. Wilson and
Pennington of the Union army and Ramseur of the Confederate
army. In 1861 he resigned his Federal commission and entered
the Confederate service, becoming captain of a company _of artil-
lery known as "Huger's Battery." He served at Norfolk, and sub-
sequently was attached to the division of his father under Long-
street's command during the Seven Days' battles. Promoted major
of Alexander's battalion of artillery of Longstreet's corps, he rose



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 104 of 153)