Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 105 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 105 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


to the rank of colonel and command of the battalion when Alex-
ander was made brigadier-general and chief of artillery under
Longstreet. Under his command the battalion maintained the high
reputation it had achieved under Stephen D. Lee and E. P. Alex-
ander. His war service embraced all the campaigns of the First
corps of the army of Northern Virginia, including Chickamauga
and east Tennessee. At the disastrous battle of Sailor's Creek, a
few days before Appomattox, he was captured by General Custer,
a former comrade at West Point. After the close of the war he
was employed as secretary of the Norfolk & Petersburg railroad,
was subsequently superintendent of the Atlantic, Mississippi &
Ohio railroad, and at the time of his death he was superintendent
of transportation of the Norfolk & Western railroad. He was mar-
ried to Miss Julia Trible, of Lynchburg, who with four children,
survive him.

John T. Hughes, sheriff of the city of Richmond, is a native of
Gloucester county, where his ancestors have resided for several
generations. His father, John W. Hughes, was born there in 1817,
the_ son of John Hughes, whose father served with the rank of
major in the war of the Revolution. Sheriff Hughes was born in
March, 1847, and when four years of age went with his family to
Richmond, where he received his education. At the outbreak of
the war he was still too young for service, but, in the last year of
the struggle, when approaching his seventeenth birthday, he en-
listed as a private in Company C of the Twenty-fourth Virginia
cavalry, in February, 1865, and was engaged, in hard fighting on
"the Charles City road below Richmond and on the retreat from
Richmond to Appomattox, where he surrendered and was paroled
with the army. Having done what he could for the Confederate
cause, he returned home and began business life as a wagon
â– driver in Richmond. In 1866 he secured employment with the
Mutual building fund and dollar savings bank, and was subse-
quently promoted to assistant cashier, serving in that capacity for
three years. He then embarked in the commission business, meet-
ing with success and at the same time became prominent in munic-
ipal affairs and in political life. For four years he served in the
lower branch of the city council, and, in 1890, was elected alderman
for a term of four years. The latter office he resigned in 1892 to
accept the position of sheriff, to which he was re-elected for a term
of four years in 1894. He maintains his comradeship with the sur-
vivors of the army by membership in both the R. E. Lee and
George E. Pickett camps of Confederate Veterans, and is con-
nected with the civil orders of the Mystic Shrine, the Red Men,
the Elks, the Ancient Essenic order and the Good Fellows and
Heptasophs. He is a member of the Methodist church South. He
was married in 1871 to Julia S., daughter of the late William
Stoakes of Matthews county, and they have five children; William
McCaw, Harriet C, John T. Jr., Lucy C. A., and Walter C.



CONFEDERA TE MI LIT A R Y HIS TOR Y. 949

Robert W. Hughes, judge of the United States court for the
eastern district of Virginia, was born June 6, 1821, upon an estate
known as Hughes' Creek, in Powhatan county, Va. This planta-
tion, upon the south side of the James river, was established in
the closing years of the seventeenth century, by Jesse Hughes and
his wife, Huguenot immigrants. Here David, the grandfather of
Judge Hughes, was born and passed his life, taking to wife Judith
Daniel, a member of a well-known and distinguished Virginia
family. Their son, Jesse, the father of Judge Hughes, was edu-
cated at William and Mary and Hampden-Sidney colleges, and in
addition to managing the plantation engaged in the practice of
law. He married a beautiful woman, the belle of her college,
known among her affectionate friends as "Pretty Betty Morton,"
the daughter of Capt. Hezekiah Morton, who was one of the six
sons that joined the company of their father, John Morton, which
marched from Prince Edward Court House to join the army of
George Washington in the North. She and her husband were
carried away by a malignant fever, at nearly the same date, when
Judge Hughes, the youngest of five children, was but one year
old. On being advised of the sad circumstances. Gen. Edward C.
Carrington of Halifax county, an intimate college friend of Jesse
Hughes, came with his carriage to Hughes' Creek, and prevailed
upon Captain Morton to allow him to take Robert to rear and
educate. At the home of this generous friend of his father he
passed his childhood and youth, and at eighteen years of age was
placed in Caldwell college, at Greensboro, N. C. Here only two
years had elapsed when General Carrington had the misfortune to
lose his property, and young Hughes, thrown upon his own re-
sources, became a tutor at the Bingham classical school at Hills-
boro, N. C. After two years of this occupation, during which he
also studied law, he went to Richmond and embarked in the
profession. During these early years of his practice, from 1846 to
1853, he became intimately associated with the distinguished John
M. Daniel, editor of the Richmond Examiner, whom he assisted
by editorial contributions during all this period. When Mr. Daniel
became minister to Italy by appointment of President Pierce, Judge
Hughes succeeded to the editorship, and was in sole charge until
November, i8s7, when the editorial direction went into the hands
of B. M. Dewitt, who was succeeded by William Old, Jr. While
editor of the Examiner, Judge Hughes was married June 4, 1850,
at the governor's mansion at Richmond, to Miss Eliza M. Johns-
ton, the adopted daughter of Gov. John B. Floyd. She was
the niece of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston and daughter of Hon. Charles
C. Johnston, who was accidentally drowned at Alexandria while
a member of the national House of Representatives. Her mother
was Eliza Mary Preston, daughter of Gen. John Preston of Bote-
tourt county and cousin of both Governor Floyd and his wife.
When Judge Hughes retired from the Examiner it was to accom-
pany Governor Floyd to Washington, the latter having been called
to the secretaryship of war by President Buchanan. There, on
account of the illness of Mrs. Floyd, Mrs. Hughes performed the
gracious duties of hostess, for which nature had eminently endowed
her, at the home of the secretary of war, and Judge Hughes became
the principal editor of the Washington Union, then the organ of
the administration. In the winter of 1859-60, on account of failing

Va 60



950 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

health, he removed to Washington county, _Va., became occupied
as a farmer, entered into a railroad enterprise, and attended in
i860 the Charleston convention as a supporter of Stephen A.
Douglas. Mr. Daniel returned from Europe in February, 1861, and
again assumed editorial charge in May following, of the Richmond
Examiner, Judge Hughes at the same time becoming joint editor,
and continuing in this position until A.pril, 1865. In this capacity
he entered most heartily into the cause for which the South, with-
out regard to former political affiliations, was so remarkably
unified. The Examiner became a great power, and read in the
homes of the South, as well as in the camp, alike cheered the hearts
of the non-combatarts and inspired the soldiers to renewed sac-
rifice?. In its files the history of the great struggle is truthfully
recorded, and a complete record of the period could not be written
without a consideration of the influence of the Examiner upon
the actors in political and military affairs. After the war Judge
Hughes became very prominent in the political affairs of the State.
Joining the Republican party in 1869 he edited the Richmond Re-
public in 1869 and 1870. In 1871 he was appointed United States
attorney, and subsequently became the candidate of his party for
governor, against James L. Kemper. In 1872 he contributed to
give the electoral vote of Virginia to General Grant by making a
canvass of his district as candidate for Congress. In appreciation
of this service the re-elected president tendered Judge Hughes, un-
sought, the office of district attorney for" the western district of
Virginia. In January, 1874, he visited the president to urge the
appointment of Gen. W. C. Wickham as United States judge of
the eastern circuit but Grant replied after hearing him patiently,
"Colonel, when that vacancy occurred you were the first man I
had thought of for the place." In the following week, at his home,
Judge Hughes read the news of his elevation to the bench. This
honored position he has continued to occupy, performing its duties
with unflagging industry and distinguished ability, though now
past the age of seventy years, at which it is permissible for United
States judges to retire from active work. During his twenty-three
years upon the bench many causes of great importance have been
passed upon, and he has made many and enduring contributions to
the fabric of American law. One of the most noted matters brought
before him was the suit of G. W. P. Custis Lee, devisee and
grandson of G. W. Parke Custis, against the United States gov-
ernment for possession of the Arlington estate. The government
held under a tax title, having got possession of the whole property
for $92, and had a tenant in possession. The defense was that the
government could not be sued, and that there was no judicial rem-
edy for the plaintiff. But Judge Hughes held that such an action
as this could be maintained, and gave judgment for the plaintiff.
The case wa'5 appealed to the United States supreme court, and
that court affirmed the judgment of the court below, returning
Arlington to the possession of the Lees. Presiding in the ad-
miralty court of Norfolk, perhaps next in importance to that of
New York, Judge Hughes has been called upon to render judg-
ment in many cases of importance, the most celebrated of which
was that which grew out of the wreck of the British steamer Sand-
ringham, off the coast below Cape Fear. Property valued at
$200,000 was involved in the suits brought for salvage, and the



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 951

intricate questions arising were discussed by Judge Hughes in
an opinion, recorded in the tenth volume of the Federal Reporter,
which has become a classic authority in admiralty law. Amid his
absorbing duties Judge Hughes has found opportunity to produce
several works of great value from both literary and legal point of
view. He is the author of the biographies of Gen. John B. Floyd
and Gen. Joseph E. Johnston in the volume styled, "Lee and
His Lieutenants;'' of a volume entitled "The Currency Ques-
tion," published in 1879; of "The American Dollar," i88s; and five
volumes of law reports entitled Hughes' Reports, in 1879 to 1885,
being reports of cases in the United States district and circuit
courts, of the circuit embracing the two Carolinas, the two Vir-
ginias and Maryland. Robert M. Hughes, eldest son of the fore-
going, was born at Abingdon, Va., September 10, 1855. At the
age of fifteen years he was sent to William and Mary college,
where he became a member of the Phi Beta Kappa fraternity, won
the debaters' medal in the Phoenix literary society, and was grad-
uated as A. B. in 1873. He then entered the university of Vir-,
ginia, and there remained four years, receiving the degree of
master of arts and completing a course of law. In November,
1877, he began the practice of his profession at Norfolk, and has
since then become one of the most distinguished lawyers of the
city. In 1878 he became a member of the legal firm of Sharp &
Hughes, a partnership which still exists. He is a prominent mem-
ber of the Virginia bar association, of which he was elected presi-
dent in 189s, being the youngest lawyer, it is believed, upon whom
that honor has been bestowed. Literature has also been with him
a favorite occupation, since college days, when he was chosen as
one of the editors of the university magazine. Among the articles
which he has published upon legal subjects, the best known are
the reports of the committee on library and legal litera-
ture of the State bar association. In 1891 he accepted
a commission from Gen. Joseph E. Johnston to prepare
his biography for Appleton & Co.'s series of "Great Com-
manders." The book was issued in 1893, and has been
highly commended both North and South. On February 19,
1879, Mr. Hughes was married to Mattie L., daughter of Hon.
Sydney Smith, of Williamsburg, and they have two sons, Robert
M. and Sydney Smith. Floyd Hughes, a son of Judge Robert W.
Hughes, was born at Abingdon, Va., .A.ugust 19, 1861. He was
reared in his native town and educated at William and Mary col-
lege, where he studied for two years, and at the university of Vir-
ginia, where he remained five years, completing a full classical
course and a course in law, and was graduated in 1883. He then
located at Norfolk for the practice of his profession and in 1884
entered the partnership of Whitehurst & Hughes. This legal firm
is still maintained, and occupies a high rank at the bar. Mr.
Hughes is a member of the Virginia bar association, and is well
known throughout the State. Since leaving college he has retained
interest in his fraternity, the Phi Kappa Alpha, and now holds the
position of grand high councilor of that organization in the United
States. On April 8, 1885. he was married to Anna M., daughter
of James R. Ricks, of Southampton, an officer in the late war.
She died in 1891. On November 15, 1893, he was married to Vir-
ginia A., daughter of Dr. C. W. P. Brock, of Richmond, general



952 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

surgeon of the Chesapeake & Ohio railroad, and local surgeon of
the Southern system and the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Po-
tomac railroad, and the city police force. Three children are liv-
ing: Floyd, Charles Brock and Virginia Floyd.

Captain Walter Q. HuUihen, rector of Trinity church, Staun-
ton, Va., did conspicuous duty in the army of Northern Virginia
during the war of the Confederacy. He was born at Wheeling,
W. Va., in 1841, and at the outbreak of hostilities was a student at the
university of Virginia, ^s a substitute for his room-mate he went
with the Southern Guards from the university for the occupation
of Harper's Ferry, in April, 1861. Returning to Richmond he
joined the Second Richmond Howitzers as a private. Soon after
the battle of Seven Pines he was commissioned a cadet in the
regular army and assigned to the staff of Gen. J. E. B. Stuart,
with rank of second lieutenant. By subsequent promotions he
became second lieutenant and captain, Confederate -States army,
and was assigned to duty by Gen. R. E. Lee, as inspector-general
with Lomax's brigade, and afterward to the stafi of Gen. W. H.
Payne. Among the prominent battles in which he took part were
Big Bethel, Chancellorsville, Tom's Brook, Sharpsburg, Gettys-
burg, Yellow Tavern, Brandy Station, Fredericksburg, Petersburg,
Five Forks, Appomattox. At Chancellorsville and Tom's Brook
he was severely wounded. Just before the battle of Fredericksburg
he went through the Federal lines to escort Miss Mary, daughter
of General Lee, a service which is mentioned in several historical
works. At Sharpsburg his gallant conduct received special men-
tion from General Stuart, and at Yellow Tavern his participation
has received historical mention. He was paroled at Appomattox
and on his return home entered upon study for the ministry. He
was ordained priest in the Protestant Episcopal church in 1868 and
after a temporary service at Old Christ church, Baltimore, in 1872,
was called to Staunton, where he has since resided.

Frank Hume, a wholesale merchant of Washington, and a vet-
eran of the army of Northern Virginia, is a native of Virginia,
born July 21, 1843, at Culpeper, where his family has resided for
many generations. The family of Humes in America was estab-
lished by George Hume, second son of Sir George Hume, the laird
of Wedderburn, Scotland, who was a direct descendant of the
fourth earl of Dunbar and March. George Hume came to Cul-
peper in 1721, engaged in land surveying, being the principal sur-
veyor of the great Lord Fairfax grant, and died in 1760, leaving
six sons. His great-grandson, Charles, born in 1814, married
Frances Virginia Rawlins, of Culpeper county, a first cousin of
Gen. John A. Rawlins, chief of staflf of Gen. U. S. Grant. Charles
Hume was employed in the second auditor's department of the
United States treasury department at Washington for nearly forty
years, and died June 25, 1883. Thirteen children were born to
him, the fourth of whom, Charles Connor Hume, born February 2,
1842, was distinguished for important and daring service in the
Confederate States army, earned promotion from the ranks to
major in the regular army, and enjoyed the friendship of Generals
Lee and Stuart. He was killed in Charles county, Md., May 20, 1863,
by a squad of Federal soldiers who had broken their parole. 'The
next elder son was Frank Hume, who, at five years of age, was
taken by the family to Washington, where he was reared, and
educated at the Bladensburg academy. At the outbreak of the



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 953

war he was clerking in a store at Washington, and abandoned this
position in August, 1861, to enter the Confederate service. He left
Washington on the stage bound for Port Tobacco, and made his
way to Manassas, where, in September, he became a private in the
Twenty-first Mississippi regiment of infantry,of Barksdale's brigade.
He served with this command until March 3, 1864, when he was
transferred to Company A of the First Maryland cavalry regiment,
with which he served about six months as a private and was then
detailed by Gen. J. E. B. Stuart on scouting duty. At the tiiiie
of Stuart's death at Yellow Tavern, Hume was on special service
for him and, returning through the lines at Spottsylvania Court
House, reported to Gen. R. E. Lee in person. He was paroled at
Washington, D. C, in June, 1865. His record embraces the battles
of Seven Pines, Savage Station, Malvern Hill, Maryland Heights,
Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg (December 11 and 13, 1862), Marye's
Heights and Fredericksburg (May, 1863), Gettysburg, July 2d and
3d, Falling Waters, Chester Gap, and in the western campaigns
under Longstreet, in 1863, he fought at Chickamauga, September
2oth, Chattanooga, October 23d, Campbell's Station, November
nth, and in the siege of Knoxville, November 2Sth. Subsequently
he served as a scout for Stuart's cavalry. At Gettysburg, he re-
ceived a wound in the right hip which disabled him for three weeks.
After his parole he farmed for a time in Orange county, and then
secured a position in the business house of Hall & Hume, of which
his brother was a partner in Washington. In April, 1870, he
formed a partnership with Richard Poole, in the wholesale grocery
trade, and since 1873 has conducted the business alone. This en-
terprise has been eminently successful, as have others with which
he has been connected. Though a business man of Washington,
he maintains his home in Alexandria county, Va., upon a beautiful
estate, and, as a citizen of this county, was honored, in 1889, by
election to the legislature of the State. In June, 1870, he was mar-
ried to Emma P., daughter of the late John E. Norris, a native of
Virginia, and for forty years a prominent member of the Wash-
ington bar. Warwick, the home of Mr. Hume, is situated on the
south bank of the Potomac river and in full view of the cities of
Washington and Alexandria, and commanding a view of the Po-
tomac valley from Georgetown to Fort Washington, where his
friends will always meet a hearty welcome, and the humblest a
patient and respectful hearing.

Major David Humphreys, a prominent citizen, since 1869, of
Norfolk, fought in the army of Northern Virginia from Manassas
to the Wilderness, adding lustre by his soldierly qualities to a
family record adorned by chivalrous service of various ancestors
in the wars of the past. His father, John Humphreys, born in
Jefferson county, Va., in 1797, though only a boy during the war
of 1812, served upon hospital duty in that conflict. The latter's
father. Col. David Humphreys, a native of Pennsylvania who mi-
grated to Virginia in his youth and amassed a fortune in trade,
served as captain in the war of 1812, in the regiment of which his
brother was colonel, and was severely wounded in the defense of
Washington. The next ancestor, John Humphreys, was a Conti-
nental soldier, and his brother, David, served as aide-de-camp to
General Washington. The mother of Major Humphreys was Mary,
daughter of Dr. Joseph Davis, an eminent physician of Jeflferson



954 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

county, and granddaughter of Robert Rutherford, a member of
Congress. She is a distant relative of the late Judge L. Q. C.
Lamar. Major Humphreys was born in Jeflferson county,' now a
part of West Virginia, May 2, 1832, received his education from
tutors, and on account of delicate health traveled much in youth,
spending one winter on the island of Cuba. In 1850 he accom-
panied a brother-in-law on the overland journey to California, driv-
ing a herd of a thousand horses, mules and cattle. Six months
after starting and after many encounters with hostile Indians they
safely reached the coast, and thence returned by way of Nicaragua
and Cuba, arriving home in 1853. He then engaged in the devel-
opment of some land in his native county until the first call to
arms, when he enlisted as a private in Company G of the Second
Virginia infantry, under Col. Thomas J. Jackson. The one hundred
and ten men of his company were mainly spirited young South-
erners who were unaccustomed to hardships, but Jackson soon
made veterans of them, and under such training of chivalrous
natures it is not surprising that sixty-nine of the company after-
ward rose to considerable station in the rank of the army. First
stationed at Harper's Ferry, the regiment moved with Jackson's
brigade to Manassas, and there formed part of the "stone wall"
which stood so firmly that McDowell could neither batter it down
with artillery nor run over it with infantry. It is conceded that
the great Confederate victory of July 21, 1861, was made possible
by the stand which Jackson's men made at a critical hour. After
this afifair and while camped at Centreville, Major Humphreys was
severely injured during drill, and disabled several months, and
meanwhile General Jackson received orders to move to Winchester
and in presence of his brigade was christened "Stonewall," and
the men were complimented for their bravery by the war depart-
ment. During this disability he received his discharge, and re-
turned home until the spring of 1862, when he enlisted as a private
in Company B, Captain Wingfield, of the Seventh Virginia cav-
alry, under General Ashby. "He was immediately appointed or-
derly-sergeant and soon afterward third lieutenant, and at the battle
of Jack's Shop, when the captain was killed, he was promoted
captain over his ranking lieutenants. At one of the battles at
Brandy Station his saber-plate intercepted a bullet and saved his
life, though he was disabled some time by the wound that was re-
ceived. Again, on the Rappahannock, receiving permission to
cross the river on a cold, dark night, to capture some of the enemy's
horses, he and his detail waded the river and advanced on hands
and knees, when a sentry was aroused and a bullet struck Hum-
phreys and apparently killed him. Carried back by his men the
cold water of the river revived him. and it was found that a button
and a knot in his belt had diverted the deadly force of the missile.
On recovering from this injury he was attached to General Stuart's
cavalry command, and participated in the subsequent movements
of that body during the campaigns of Second Manassas and Get-
tysburg, and in all their actions up to the battles of the Wilderness.
There, in command of the first squadron of the Seventh regiment,
of Rosser's or the "Laurel" brigade. Captain Humphreys charged
the Veedersville road and drove the enemy steadily until about
4 p. m., when they encountered a regiment and battery intrenched
which suddenly delivered a volley which cut his command to



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 955

pieces. He was in the act of firing his revolver when a bullet
struck his bridle arm and another plowed a furrow across his
breast and pierced his other arm. He was carried back by his
men to Veedersville and thence conveyed to Culpeper, where he
passed a weary night amid the cries of about three thousand fellow



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 105 of 153)