Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 107 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 107 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

time to the work of education. Having preached at Buchanan
and Culpeper, he was appointed principal of the Alleghany insti-
tute at Roanoke in 1889, and in 1892 was elected president of the
Roanoke female college, at Danville, a position he still occupies.
He is also a trustee of Richmond college. In 1873 he was mar-
ried to Miss Alice Chamblin, of Loudoun county, and they have
seven children.

Lieutenant William Andrew Jamieson, of Boydton, Va., clerk of
Mecklenburg county, was born in North Carolina in 1841, the son
of Rev. James Jamieson, a minister of the Methodist church. He
was educated at Randolph-Macon college, which he left for Rich-
mond on the day of the secession of Virginia. He immediately
entered the military service as a private in the Danville Blues, a
volunteer company which had been organized some thirty years,
and was then under command of Capt. W. P. Graves. Later in the
war the organization was known as Company A, Eighteenth Vir-
ginia infantry, Pickett's brigade. With this command he served at
First Manassas, Yorktown and Williamsburg, and was then trans-
ferred to Company I, Fifth Virginia cavalry. Col. T. L. Rosser.
After this he was with Rosser, Fitz Lee and Stuart, to the end of
the war, earning warm commendation by his gallant and fearless
conduct. He was with the cavalry at Seven Pines, through the
Seven Days' fight ending at Malvern Hill, in the Second Manassas
campaign, the Maryland campaign, including Crampton's Gap and
Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, the raid into Penn-
sylvania and the cavalry fight at Gettysburg; in the cavalry fighting
of the fall of 1863 and the spring of 1864, at Yellow Tavern, where
Stuart fell, at Reams' Station, and at Winchester and Cedar Creek
with Early in the valley. At Chancellorsville, under orders of
General Fitzhugh Lee, he gave the signal for the opening of the
battle. By recommendation of Gen. R. E. Lee he was commis-
sioned, by special act of Congress, second lieutenant in the regular
army, for distinguished skill and gallantry on the field of battle.
On November i, 1864, he was captured, while in command of his
cavalry company, near Luray, in the valley, and was held as a pris-
oner at Fort Delaware until July, 1865. Upon his return to Vir-
ginia he gave his attention to farming. In 1887 he was elected to
the office of county clerk, which he still holds. He was married
in 1867 to Helen Yancey, a kinswoman of the famous Confederate
statesman of Alabama. Three of her brothers served in the army
of Northern Virginia, Armenius as a private and Hilary and Joseph
as lieutenants, and all were killed in the charge of Pickett's division
at Gettysburg.

Joseph R Janney, of Purcellville, Va., was one of the gal-
lant young Virginians who enlisted early in 1861 in the Eighth
Virginia regiment of infantry under the command of Colonel Hun-
ton. He was born in Loudoun county October 10, 1842, and was
reared and educated in his native county. When his State called for
his services he enlisted promptly in Company A of the Eighth regi-


ment, and a few weeks later was with Beauregard's army on the
plains of Manassas, preparing to meet the invasion of the Federal
troops. The struggle came on the 21st of July, when the North-
ern army, after a gallant fight, was sent flying in disorder
back to Washington. In this famous combat young Janney did a
soldier's duty, but had the misfortune to fall with a severe wound
by a minie ball which caused the amputation of his left leg. Thus
sadly mutilated, he returned to his home and did not re-enter the
service until eighteen months later, when, in the summer of 1863,
he reported for duty and was assigned to the quartermaster's de-
partment, where he rendered efficient service, notwithstanding his
disability, until the end of the war. Then going to his home he
was engaged for a time in teaching school, after which he became
occupied in (he jewelry trade, which he still follows. For a por-
tion of the period since the war he resided at Conway, Ark.,
where he was elected to the office of mayor of the city. Durmg
both of the administrations of President Cleveland he served as
postmaster at Purcellville, discharging the duties of that position
with entire satisfaction He is a member of Clinton-Hatcher camp
at Leesburg, and is a communicant of the Baptist church.

Captain George W. Jarvis, of Richmond, a gallant veteran of
the Richmond Blues, was born in Hanover county, Va., in
1832. About 1842 his parents removed to Richmond, which has
since beer his home He entered the service with the Richmond
Blues early in 1861, and was assigned with the company to the
Forty-sixth Virginia regiment, the Blues being then known as
Company A. Mr. Jarvis entered the service of the Confederate
States as corporal, was promoted for gallantry to first lieutenant,
and commanded his company during the closing months, though
he did not receive his commission as captain until it was given him
by Gen. W. A. Wise, at Appomattox, ^mong the engagements in
which he participated were the affairs at Aquia Creek, Charleston,
W. Va., Carnifex Ferry; the operations at Roanoke island twhere
he was badly wounded and fell into the hands of the enemy). He
was held as a prisoner six months and was disabled three months
by his wounds. Subsequently he served several months at Charles-
ton, S. C and during the siege of Petersburg he fought
in the trenches until the evacuation During the two months pre-
vious to the evacuation he was confined in the hospital at Rich-
mond, but on the retreat joined his command at Amelia Court
House. At the explosion of the Crater he was slightly wounded by
a piece of shell. After the end of the war he returned to Richmond
and resumed his occupation as a carpenter, which he has since been
engaged in. In 1866. when the Richmond Blues were reorganized.
Captain Jarvis w?s made second lieutenant of the organization, and
he served in this capacity until the company was disbanded by act
of Congress. On the subsequent reorganization he was elected lieu-
tenant, and afterward promoted captain, a rank he held for two
years. He is also one cf the chartc" members of the Blues' asso-
ciation and a member of R. E. Lee camp Confederate Veterans.

Captain Thomas D. Jeffress, of Boydton, Va., lieutenant-com-
mander of Louis A. Armistead camp. United Confederate Veterans,
entered the Confederate service early in i8fii as captain of Com-
pany G, Fifty-sixth Virginia infantry, brigade of Gen. John B.


Floyd. He served with his command in the Kanawha Valley cam-
paign of 1861, and then joining the western army of Albert Sidney
Johnston, participated in the four days' fight at Fort Donelson. Re-
turning to Virginia in the spring of 1862 he was attached to Pick-
ett's brigade and participated in the Seven Days' campaign before
Richmond under General Lee. Subsequently he was detached for
recruiting duty in Mecklenburg county and vicinity for some time,
and on his return to Richmond, was assigned to duty by General
Winder as commandant of Libby prison. After three months' ser-
vice in this capacity he was appointed provost-marshal at Lynch-
burg, under the command of Maj.-Gen. G. W. Smith. Six months
later he resigned his commission and took up the occupation of
farming, until after the close of hostilities. Captain Jeffress was
born in Charlotte coimty, in 1840, the son of Jennings M. Jeffress,
and was educated at Columbian university, Washington, D. C,
where he received the degree of Ph. D. in 1858. After the close of
the Confederate struggle he engaged for a few years in mercantile
pursuits, and then for some time edited the Clarksville "Virginian."
Finally taking up the study of law, he was admitted to the bar in
1876, a profession which has since claimed his energies, and in which
he has been quite successful. He has also been a liberal contrib-
utor to the periodical press. He was married in 1862 to Alice,
daughter of Robert J. Overby, and they have five children living,
Fleming J., principal of Blacksburg institute, S. C; Robert O.,
Clarence A., Alice F., wife of Henry F. Boswell, of Chicago, and

Tipton Davis Jennings, cashier of the National Exchange Bank
of Lynchburg, was born at that city in 1841, and was there reared
and educated. He was one of the members of the Lynchburg
Home Guard which left Lynchburg April 23, 1861, by order of the
governor of Virginia, and were mustered into the service of the
State April 24, 1861, becoming Company G of the Eleventh Vir-
ginia infantry. He served as a private until the last year of the
war, when he was made sergeant major. At the time of the sur-
render he was at Lynchburg, acting as adjutant under Col.
Kirkwood Otey, in command of the home troops. In the gallant
record of his command he participated throughout with honor, and
was twice wounded, on August 31, 1862, at the second battle of
Manassas, and on September 14, l8i52, at the battle of Boonsboro,
or South Mountain, Md. He surrendered and was paroled at
Greensboro, N. C, and subsequently resided at Richmond for a
year. Moving from there to Memphis, Tenn., he finally returned
to Lynchburg, where he has since made his home. During the first
administration of President Cleveland he held the office of post-
master at Lynchburg.

William B. Johnson, of Portsmouth, a worthy soldier of the
Sixth Virginia regiment of infantry, was born at Richmond, Va.,
in 1841, the son of Mosby and Frances (Chiles) John-
son. His father, a business man of Richmond, was the son of
Shadrach Johnson, of Virginia birth and English descent. His
mother, daughter of Elliott Chiles, of Chesterfield county, was the
granddaughter of Rev. Andrew Broadus, noted in the earlier an-
nals of the State as a pioneer minister of the Baptist church. At the
time of the secession of Virginia, Mr. Johnson, who had been


reared and educated at Richmond, was employed at Norfolk, and
had become a member of the Independent Grays, a well-drilled
company which was mustered into the service April 19, 1861. He
served with his company at Craney island during the Confederate
occupation of Norfolk, and witnessed the famous naval battles of
the Virginia in March, 1862. Subsequently, with his company he
joined the Sixth regiment (as Company H), whose first colonel,
William Mahone, was now commander of the brigade to which the
Sixth regiment was attached throughout the war. He was with
his regiment in the fight against the Federal fleet at Drewry's bluff,
thence the command moved to ChafTfin's blufT, and going into the
battle of Malvern Hill, lost heavily in the desperate assault upon
the enemy's works. His health was badly broken by the arduous
Peninsular campaign, and he was detailed on special duty and af-
terward honorably discharged. But subsequently recovering he
re-enlisted, becoming a member of a Richmond company, with
whicli he served in the fighting against Dahlgren's raiders in 1864,
and fought in the trenches before Petersburg until the evacuation,
taking part in the fierce battle of the Crater and other engagements.
During the retreat to Appomattox he was captured by the enemy
and sent to Manchester, where he was employed in attending the
sick and wounded prisoners. On being paroled he returned to
Norfolk and Portsmouth, and presently made his home at the lat-
ter city, where he has for many years been engaged in business with
notable success. He is highly regarded by the people of his city
and holds high rank among his professional associates, having been
honored by the presidency of the Virginia State board of embalm-
ing, and the same oflfice in the State association of funeral directors.
In 1866 Mr. Johnson was married to Mary E., daughter of Robert
A. J. Thompson, and she having died in 1888, he married in 1890 her
surviving sister, Anna R. .Thompson.

William Otis Johnson, of Lynchburg, a veteran of the Second
corps of the army of Northern Virginia, was born in Nelson coun-
ty, Va., October 18, 1841. He entered the service June 7, 1861, with
the New Market volunteers, which was assigned to Shafer's bat-
talion up to the battle of First Manassas, and subsequently was
Company C and later Company H of the Forty-ninth Virginia regi-
ment of infantry. Private Johnson was promoted corporal at Bull
Run, and at the close of his service was first sergeant of his com-
pany. His regiment was commanded in the first battle of Manas-
sas by Col. (formerly Gov.) William Smith, in Cocke's brigade.
Subsequently it served under the command of Early and Ewell on
most of the great battlefields of the army. Among the engagements
in which Mr. Johnson participated were First Manassas, York-
town, Williamsburg, Seven Pines, the Seven Days' battles. Second
Manassas, Bristoe Station, Harper's Ferry, Sharpsburg, Fredericks-
burg, Chancellorsville, the defeat of Milroy at Winchester, the
skirmish near Harrisburg, Pa., and the battle of Gettysburg. At
Sharpsburg he was slightly wounded in the eye by a spent ball,
but his most serious injuries were received while participating in
the hard fighting at Gulp's Hill on the morning of the third day at
Gettysburg. There he was shot in both hands and the breast, and
while in this condition fell into the hands of the enemy, at the
foot of South mountain, the second day after the battle. He
•was sent to the Federal hospital at Frederick City, and subse-


quently to Fort McHenry, and thence to Fort Delaware, where
he was held until October, 1863. Then being transferred to Point
Lookout he was held there until March, 1865, and was never able
to rejoin the army. Nearly two years were thus passed by him
amid the hardships of the military prisons of the North. On his
restoration to liberty he returned to Nelson county, Va., and was
there engaged in farming, teaching school and as deputy sheriff,
until 1870, when he engaged in mercantile pursuits in Amherst
county. Since 1881 he has been a resident of Lynchburg, and has
successfully conducted a grocery business. He is a popular busi-
ness man, an enterprising citizen, and socially is highly esteemed.
He is a member of the Masonic order with the rank of Knight

Captain Andrew J. Jones, of Newport News, commander, during
a large part of the war, of the Pamunkey artillery, was born in
Warwick county March 20, 1838, the son of John and Maria D.
(Hughes) Jones. He wa? reared upon his father's farm in War-
wick county, receiving an "old field school" education, until he
was seventeen years of age, when he was apprenticed to the ma-
chinist's craft at Richmond. Subsequently he was in charge of an
engine in the Gosport navy yard for a year, after which he was
employed as a mercantile clerk at Richmond until the outbreak
of the war. In April, 1861, he joined a company of infantry organ-
ized at Richmond, but soon afterward disbanded, after which he
went to West Point, on the Pamunkey river, and enlisted in the
company of heavy artillery, organized and commanded by Capt.
Robert Elliott. 'This was known as the Pamunkey artillery, the
members being chiefly drawn from the counties of New Kent.
Hanover, Henrico, James City and Charles City. Entering the
service as a private he was promoted first lieutenant in the spring
of 1862, and captain in 1863. He was .on duty with the command
throughout the war, principally being stationed at Chaffin's bluflf,
commanding the James river approach to Richmond. Here he
was several times engaged with the enemy's fleet and artillery, and
participated in the battle of Chaffin's Bluflf. During the retreat
to Appomattox he took part in the battle of Sailor's Creek, where
he was twice wounded, and surrendered with his entire command
at the time of Ewell's capitulation. He was carried to Petersburg
and held in hospital there for a few weeks and then paroled. This
faithful officer then found himself compelled to accept any honor-
able employment for a livelihood. Finally, in 1866, he embraced
a good business opening in partnership with his brother-in-law,
Thomas Curtis, and was for several years engaged in buying and
shipping wood. Having prospered in this employment he secured
a tract of land in 1871, near the present site of Newport News,
and established a mercantile business, which he has since con-
ducted, also having a lease of a profitable oyster farm in the James
river. Now comfortably_ situated in life, this worthy Confederate
veteran has the satisfaction of knowing that he is enjoying the
reward of industry and duty honorably performed. His genial
heart and sturdy manliness are appreciated by a host of warm

Caius J. Jones, of Norfolk, was born in Nottoway county, Va.
May 22, 1842. He is the son of Capt. F. J. E. Jones, who was


born in Nottoway county February 5, 1812, was a farmer by occu-
pation, a captain of militia, and died in 1865. His ancestors are
from the Greenhill family of England and the Jones family of
Wales. In 1834 Captain Jones married Elizabeth, daughter of
Archer Dunavant, of Nottoway county, who was born in 1814 and
died in 1890. Of their eight children, two sons and a daughter
survive. One son, Frank Jones, served throughout the war in the
Confederate army, and now resides in Dinwiddle county. The
other son, Caius J. Jones, was about six years old when his
parents removed to Dinwiddie county, where he was reared and
given his academic education. At sixteen years of age he entered
Randolph-Macon college, whence he received the degree of M. A.
in June, 1861 Soon afterward he enlisted in the Dinwiddie cavalry
as a private, and was subsequently promoted sergeant. In 1862.
after the evacuation of Williamsburg, he served for a short time
as courier for Gen A. P. Hill. Among the battles in which this
gallant cavalryman was engaged were the Seven Days' fight, in-
cluding Seven Pines, Fredericksburg, Antietam, Chancellorsville,
Gettysburg, Cold Harbor, Yellow Tavern, and all the campaigns
and engagements of J. E. B. Stuart's cavalry. He used up nine
horses during his service, and was twice wounded, but was never
captured. During the siege of Richmond he was in the saddle
for sixty days in succession. After the battle of Reams' Station
he was the only surviving officer of his company and commanded
it until the command was recruited. Illustrating the strange for-
tunes of war Sergeant Jones recalls that on one occasion in 1864.
he was called on to name a detail to guard at night the tent of
General Wickham. He selected Corporal Frazier, but the latter
having an excuse, he acted in his stead. Next day another detail
was called for — a non-commissioned officer with ten men to join
a detachment sent against a negro garrison. Again he detailed
Frazier, and again was asked to take the duty on himself. But
this time, he and Frazier being the only non-commissioned offi-
cers, he insisted that the corporal should serve, which he did and
was killed, and the sergeant doubtless would have been had he not
taken upon himself the service of the previous night. He was on
detached duty at the time of the surrender at Appomattox and
started to join the army in North Carolina, when hearing of its
capitulation, he returned to Dinwiddie Court House and gave
his parole. He became occupied with agricultural pursuits, and
from 1869 was for ten years engaged in teaching in Norfolk county.
He then engaged in tobacco manufacturing and afterward as a
salesman, removed to Norfolk in 1883, and in 1888 embarked in
the grocery business which he has since successfully conducted
He is a vestryman of St. Peter's P. E. church and a member of
Pickett-Buchanan camp. He was married October 8, 1873, to
Fannie H., daughter of the late Thomas H. Browne, of Norfolk,
and descendant of Lord Willoughby, of England. They have
three sons living; Junius H., Thomas A., and Reverdy H. The
eldest son was appointed to the United States naval academy in
1892, but was compelled to resign his cadetship on account of ill
health and then entered the Colorado school of mines. The second
son graduated from the Virginia military institute, June 23, 1898,
at the head of his class and received the first Jackson-Hope medal


;given to the most distinguished graduate. The third son is pur-
-suing his studies under Rev. Robert Gatewood.

Galium B. Jones, of Ashland, Va., late of the Fifteenth Virginia
infantry, army of Northern Virginia, was born in Hanover county,
near Ashland, May 15, 1842. His father, Dr. Galium B. Jones, Sr.,
a descendant of Gen. Galium B. Jones, of the British army, was
born in Hanover county in 1812, and in 1838 married Mary M.
Wingfield, daughter of Capt. William Wingfield, who died in 1848,
leaving one son, the subject of this sketch, and three daughters:
Columbia W., wife of John Newton Gary, deceased; MoUie Kidd,
•wife of Nathaniel M. Taylor, of Bristol, Tenn.; and Ida Burton,
wife of Richard Ruflfus Griffin, of Richmond. Dr. Jones in his
youth received an old-field schooling, his principal instructor
being St. George Tucker, subsequently captain of Company E,
Fifteenth Virginia infantry regiment, in which Dr. Jones enlisted
as a youth of nineteen on April 23, 1861. He was identified with
the career of his company and his regiment throughout the entire
war. During 1861 he was in Gen. Lafayette McLaws' division of
the troops under Magruder on the peninsula, and subsequently he
shared the record of Corse's brigade of Pickett's division in Vir-
ginia, Maryland, North Carolina, and Tennessee. Among the
principal battles were: South Mountain, Sewell's Point, Sharps-
burg, Union, Tenn., Drewry's Blufi, Five Forks and Chester Gap.
At Drewry's Bluff, May 15, 1864, he was seriously wounded in the
left leg. The year after the surrender at Appomattox, in which he
was a participant, he began the study of medicine, which he con-
tinued in the medical college of Virginia, graduating in Marcli,
1869. He was surgeon of the Quantico railroad in 1870-71-72,
practiced his profession at Richmond until 1882, and in December
of the latter year began his professional career at Ashland, Va.,
which he has continued with much success to the present time. He
is a member of the alumni association of the Virginia medical
college, is physician to the Hanover county infirmary, and among
liis comrades of the army holds the rank of surgeon of W. B. New-
ton camp, Confederate Veterans. Dr. Jones was married Janu-
ary 29, 1885, to Sallie P., daughter of Capt. Walter N. Newman,
of Richmond, and they have six children: Mary Newman, Galium
B. Jr., Joseph Moore, Walter Kidd, Willie Carpenter and Sallie

Lieutenant Henley T. Jones, of Williamsburg, a veteran of the
Thirty-second regiment, Virginia infantry, was born in Jafnes City
•county, April 10, 1842. He is the descendant of a York county
-family of which several generations have been worthy citizens of
Virginia. His father, Henley T. Jones, a wealthy planter, was
born in York in 1814, married Mary Ann Henrietta Jones in 1835,
and died in 1872, his widow surviving until 1881. Of their thirteen
children the subject of this mention is the eldest son, and two
beside himself, William L. and Daniel S., served in the Confed-
erate army. He received his academic education in a classical
school at Williamsburg in which there was, a class of eighteen
boys of nearly the same age, all of whom bore arms for the Con-
federacy, and most of whom are yet living. In 1859 he entered
William and Mary college, with the ultimate purpose of pursuing
;the study of medicine at Paris, but the movement for Southern


independence changed all plans of young men at that period. In
April, 1861, he entered the Confederate army as a private in the
Williamsburg Junior Guard, and gave his first year's service with
that command, in the vicinity of Williamsburg, and under the
command of General Magruder in the Peninsular campaign. For
the first seven months he served in the engineering department
under Col. Alexander Rives, At the reorganization of the Con-
federate army in May, 1862, he was elected third sergeant of Com-
pany C, Thirty-second Virginia infantry, and after the first battle
of Fredericksburg he was promoted second lieutenant of this com-
mand. He was in all the battles of his regiment, in Corse's brigade
of Pickett's division, except the fight at Fort Harrison, in 1864,
when he was disabled by illness. The important actions in which
he took part were, Seven Pines, Savage Station, Harper's Ferry,

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 107 of 153)