Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 108 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 108 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Brook Turnpike, north of Richmond,
Second Cold Harbor, Dinwiddle Court House, Five Forks and
Sailor's Creek. He was severely hurt in the latter battle, and es-
caped the general disaster to surrender at Appomattox. After the
close of hostilities he was engaged in farming until 1872, when he
embarked in the drug trade, which has since been his occupation.
He is prominent in social life, influential in public aflfairs, and hon-
ored by his old comrades, who have retained him as adjutant of
Magruder-Ewell camp, Confederate Veterans, since its organiza-
tion in 1892. On June 10, 1867, he was married to Mary Fiske
Scuthall Fisher, who died in 1894. Their two children are living:
Marian Ambler and Hugh Williamson, the latter a student in the
university college of medicine at Richmond.

Lieutenant-Colonel Hilary P. Jones was, before the war, a prom-
inent educator of Virginia, having been for several years engaged
in the business of teaching, and standing high in his profession.
He entered the army as an officer of artillery and soon was major
of a battalion. He participated in the battles of Mechanicsville,
Gaines' Mill and White Oak Swamp Bridge during the Seven Days'
battles around Richmond, June 26th to July i, 1862. During
these operations his battalion was attached to Gen. D. H. Hill's
division. He shared also in the marches and battles of the Mary-
land campaign. Just before the battle of Chancellorsville he was
promoted to be lieutenant-colonel of artillery, and with his bat-
talion took an active part in that most wonderful of all Lee's long
series of brilliant victories. Colonel Jones was also in the Penn-
sylvania campaign and shared in the hardships and dangers that
culminated in the great conflict of Gettysburg. During Ewell's
march through the valley, while on the way to Gettysburg, Jones'
artillery of twenty pieces, by a sudden attack upon the enemy's
works near Winchester, prepared the way for the gallant advance
of the brigade of General Hays, which swept away all opposition.
The excellence of his work on this occasion is testified to by
Lieutenant-General Ewell and Brigadier-General Pendleton in
their reports of the Gettysburg campaign. General Early, in his
report of this same affair says: "All the arrangements of Colonel
Jones and the conduct of himself and his artillery, were admirable
and have not been surpassed during the war." Again speaking
of Gettysburg, General Early says: "The conduct of Lieutenant-
Colonel Jones and his artillery battalion at Winchester was ad-


mirable.'' At the opening of the campaign of 1864, Colonel Jones
was with his battalion under the command of General Beauregard
and participated in the battles near Drewry's Blufif, winning again
honorable mention from Generals Beauregard and Whiting. In
the fall of 1864 he was in command of all the artillery of Ander-
son's corps, four battalions, and had been promoted to the rank
of colonel. He participated also in the campaign which closed at
Appomattox. After the war Colonel Jones went back to his old
profession of teaching

Rev. John William Jones, D. D., a Virginian distinguished for
his contributions to the history of the Confederate era, was born
at Louisa, and is an alumnus of the State university. Devoting
himself in youth to the ministry of the Baptist church, he pursued
a theological course at the Southern Baptist theological seminary,
was ordained in June, i860, and soon afterward was appointed a
missionary to Canton, China. There his life might have been
spent, and doubtless his unbounded energies would have accom-
plished great good in that distant field, but the rapidly hastening
crisis in national aflfairs delayed and finally prevented his departure.
When Virginia called for the military service of her sons he
promptly enlisted as a private in Company D of the Thirteenth
Virginia infantry, under Col. A. P. Hill. After serving in the
ranks one year he was made chaplain of his regiment, and in No-
vember, 1863, he became missionary chaplain to A. P. Hill's corps.
He was present on every battlefield of the army of Northern Vir-
ginia from the occupation of Harper's Ferry in 1861 to Appomattox
Court House in 1865, shared the sufferings and privations and
the risk of battle with the soldiers, ministered to them in hos-
pital, encouraged them in the performance of arduous duty, and
was particularly effective in those famous religious revivals which
resulted in the religious profession of over fifteen thousand of
Lee's veterans. He himself baptized over four hundred soldiers,
and under his preaching thousands declared their acceptance of
the gospel of the "Prince of Peace." After the close of the war
he was for several years pastor at Lexington, Va., and one of the
chaplains of Washington college, under the presidency of General
Lee. Also laboring in the Virginia military institute, he did
effective work in both those famous educational institutions. Since
then he has acted as agent of the Southern Baptist theological
seminary, general superintendent of the Virginia Baptist Sunday-
school work, and assistant secretary of the home board of the
Southern Ba_ptist convention, and has traveled extensively through-
out the South. In Septerriber, 1893, he became chaplain of the
university of Virginia. In the midst of his work in behalf of the
church, he maintained a literary activity which has saved to history
many important contributions relating to the Confederate war.
For ten years, from 1876, he was secretary of the Southern his-
torical society, editing fourteen vohimes of "Southern Historical
Papers." By authority of the family of Gen. R. E. Lee, of whom
he was an intimate friend, he wrote after the general's death, "Per-
sonal Reminiscences and Letters of R. E. Lee." Other works
of his production are "The Army of Northern Virginia Memorial
Volume," an "Appendix to Cooke's Life of Stonewall Jackson,"
"Christ in the Camp, or Religion in Lee's Army," "The Memorial


of Jeflferson Davis," and a school history of the United States.
His miscellaneous contributions to newspapers and magazines
would make a series of volumes still more extensive.

Walter N. Jones, of Petersburg, a boy soldier of the army of
Northern Virginia, was born in Manchester, Va., in the year 1850,
the son of Rev. TThomas H. Jones. He is a member of one of
the oldest Virginia families, distinguished alike in war and peace,
and is connected with the Taliaferro, Nelson and other families of
historic importance. The founder of the Virginia line was Thomas
Jones, son of Capt Roger Jones, of the British army, who came
from England. Thomas married the daughter of Dr. William
Cocke, who was secretary of the colony and subsequently judge,
during the administration of Governor Spottswood. One of the
sons of Thomas Jones was Dr. Walter Jones, who served in the
United States Congress Another, William, was the father of
Thomas Jones, a wealthy planter of Gloucester county, two of
whose brothers served in the war of 1812. Thomas married a Miss
Roy, a direct descendant of the McGregors of Scotland, and con-
nected with famous French families. Their son. Rev. Thomas H.
Jones, married Rosa, daughter of Walter and Frances T. (Nelson)
Day. Walter N. Jones was a student in Smith & Cone's classical
school at Richmond during the early part of the war, being far
below military age, but on June 16, 1864, being about fourteen
years of age, he had his first experience as a soldier of the Con-
federacy, serving with the heroic little command of General Beau-
regard which manfully confronted Grant's army and saved Peters-
burg from immediate capture. He remained with the army at
Petersburg until winter, which he spent with his cousin. Dr. Francis
Jones, in Dinwiddie county. Returning to Petersburg in the
spring of 1865, narrowly escaping capture en route, he was as-
signed to the commissary department, and served in charge of
wagons during the retreat as far as Sailor's Creek, where his train
was burned by the Yankees. He surrendered at Appomattox, being
perhaps the youngest soldier on that field. After the war he re-
sided with his cousin. Dr. Jones, his parents having died before
he reached the age of twelve years, and at the age of nineteen years
he went into business at Richmond and subsequently moved to
Petersburg. He is now connected with two prominent firms of
the latter city and is an influential and enterprising citizen. He
was married in 187s to Miss Ada Virginia, daughter of Benjamin
Boisseau Vaughan, of Petersburg, and five children are living:
Walter N. Jr., Benjamin Vaughan, Thomas Catesby, Lemuel Roy,
and Robert Francis Jones. Mr. Jones is active in church and
fraternal work, and has served on the city school board.

William Atkinson Jones, of Warsaw, representative in Congress
from the First Virginia district, was born in Warsaw, Richmond
county, Va., March 21, 1849. In the winter of 1864-65 he entered
the Virginia military institute, where he remained until the evac-
uation of Richmond, serving, as occasion required, with the cadets
in the defense of that city. After the close of the war he studied
at Coleman's school in Fredericksburg until October, 1868, when
he entered the academic department of the university of Virginia,
from which institution he graduated with the degree of B. L., in
1870. He was admitted to the bar in July, 1870, and has continued


to practice law ever since, although also engaged in farming oper-
ations. He was for several years commonwealth attorney for his
county and was a delegate in 1880 to the national Democratic con-
vention in Cincinnati. He was elected to the Fifty-second, Fifty-
third, Fifty-fourth and Fifty-fifth congresses, and was re-elected to
the Fifty-sixth Congress as a Democrat, receiving 8,844 votes,
against 4,270 votes ior Bristow, Republican, and 230 votes for
Crockett, Prohibitionist. Mr. Jones is a representative of a family
long distinguished in the history of Virginia. His great-grand-
father. Gen. Joseph Jones, of Dinwiddle county, born August 23,
1749, was prominent in the Revolutionary period, and, at the time
of his death, February g, 1824, held the office of collector of the
port at Petersburg. It was said in his memory, by a leading Vir-
ginia newspaper of that day: "During the Revolutionary war
General Jones was amongst the firmest asserters of his country's
independence, and, in every vicissitude of that eventful and glori-
ous struggle, he never wavered in his course, but steadily main-
tained the high character of an American patriot. In subsequent
life, amidst all the trials of political warfare, General Jones has
pursued but one course. A Republican in the strictest acceptation
of the word, he has ever been on the side ot the people, maintaining
their just rights and ready at all times to oppose the encroach-
ments of power, whether of foreign or domestic origin." This
worthy patriot married Jane, daughter of Roger Atkinson (born
February 18, 1764, died February 15, 1814), and one of their chil-
dren was Thomas Jones (born August 18, 1781, died at Bellevue,
November 9, 1866), who wedded, on December 11, 1804, Mary
Lee, daughter of Richard and Sally Lee, of Lee Hall, county of
Westmoreland. She was born February 12, 1790. Her father
was the uncle of Gov. Henry Lee, known as "Light Horse
Harry" Lee. Of Capt. Thomas Jones, son of Thomas and Mary
Lee Jones and father of Hon. W. A. Jones, it is appropriate in
this connection to give an account, in illustration of the career of
a brave and modest Confederate soldier. Capt. Thomas Jones was
born at Bellevue, on the Appomattox, river, in Chesterfield county,
September 8, 1811, and was educated in the famous school of Gov.
William B. Giles and at the university of North Carolina.
After his graduation, he took charge of the large landed estate
of his mother in Westmoreland county and took up the study of
law with his mother's half-brother, Hon. Willoughby Newton,
with whom he was subsequently associated in practice for a short
time after admission to the bar. October 21, 1843, he was married
to Ann Seymour Trowbridge, daughter of James and Cornelia
Trowbridge, of Plattsburg, N. Y., and shortly afterward he made
his home in the adjoining county of Richmond. There he held
for a number of years, and until the outbreak of the war, the po-
sition of commonwealth's attorney. In 1859, soon after the dis-
turbance at Harper's Ferry, he became a member and first sergeant
of the Totuskey Grays, a volunteer company of light infantry, or-
ganized at Warsaw, under command of Capt. A. Judson Sydnor.
This company, including about ninety-five men, was mustered into
the service of Virginia, May 23, 1861, and Sergeant Jones, though
then in his fiftieth year, was among the most vigorous and devoted
of the patriotic band. On the 7th of June the company was or-
dered to Mathias Point, on the Potomac, where, on June 27th, they


participated in an engagement with the forces landed from the U.
S. steamers Pawnee and Freeborn, in which Captain Ward, of the
Freeborn, commanding the Potomac flotilla, was killed. In the fol-
lowing August the Grays became Company B of the Fortieth Vir-
ginia regiment. Col. John M. Brockenbrough, and subsequently
Sergeant Jones was advanced to the rank of third lieutenant. The
first general engagement in which he participated was in the cam-
paign before Richmond. In the battle of Gaines' Mill, in com-
mand of his company, all his superior officers having been either
killed or wounded, he received a severe and dangerous gunshot
wound in the head, which necessitated his removal to a hospital
at Richmond. Subsequently he was taken to the home of his
brother, Richard Lee Jones, at Bellevue, and later was under the
care of his wife at Warsaw. He was not able to rejoin his com-
mand until shortly before Lee's army crossed into Maryland, and
then participated in all the engagements of the Sharpsburg cam-
paign in which Field's brigade took part, the brigade being then
under the command of Colonel Brockenbrough. He also fought
in the December battle at Fredericksburg and in the Charfcellors-
ville engagement of May, 1863, after which he was made quarter-
master of the Fortieth regiment and in that capacity accompanied
his command to Gettysburg. In December, 1863, the brigade, now
under the command of Gen. H. H. Walker, moved to the valley
of Virginia to reinforce Early, and, while in winter quarters. Cap-
tain Jones wrote and caused to be read to his regiment a series
of patriotic and inspiring addresses, which had the happy efifect
of causing the enthusiastic re-enlistment of the entire command
for the full period of the war. In March, 1864, the regiment re-
turned to Lee's main army, and in May was engaged in the bloody
fights of the Wilderness and Spottsylvania. Thence it moved to a
point below Petersburg and suflfered great losses in the engage-
ments at Fort Archer and Fort MacRae. From the middle of De-
cember until the evacuation, the regiment served at Chaffin's
Farm, under command of Gen. G. W. C. Lee, and it moved thence
to Appomattox. Captain Jones did not share in the surrender,
but made his way into North Carolina and joined Johnston's army,
returning to his home only after all hope had died. Though the
oldest man of his regiment, Captain Jones shared to the last the
privations and perils of his comrades. He was inspired by a deep
faith in the righteousness of his cause. Reverses did not discour-
age his dauntless spirit, and to the very end he confidently be-
lieved in the ultimate triumph of the Confederacy. These qualities,
joined to his heroic bearing, conspicuous unselfishness and indom-
itable courage, were of great influence in the encouragement of
his comrades, with whom he was ever popular. When he returned
to his family at the close of the struggle, he found his fields wasted
and his home in ashes, but he patiently began the cultivation of a
crop, and, when civil government was restored and courts opened,
he resumed the practice of law. With the exception of some eight
or ten years, when he was judge of the counties of Richmond and
Westmoreland, he continued in the practice, with that great in-
dustry and vigor which marked the whole course of his life, up to
the time of his death, which occurred from typhoid fever, De-
cember 2T, 1893.


William T. Jones, a gallant soldier of the Nineteenth Virginia
regiment, Pickett's old brigade, was born at Charlottesville, Va.,
October 27, 1839. He enlisted in Company A, Nineteenth Vir-
ginia infantry, about July 18, 1861, and on the 21st was under fire
at the first battle of Manassas. The succeeding fall and winter he
passed with his regiment mainly at Centreville and Fairfax Court
House, and, early in 1862, was transferred to the peninsula, where
he did picket duty about Yorktown. After the evacuation of that
post he took part in the battle of Williamsburg, May S, 1862, and
received a terrible wound in the head, a ball entering the left side
of his face and passing out to the right of his right eye, shattering
all the bones of the face in its course. He was left on the field,
and cared for in the Federal hospital until he could be removed to
Washington, where he lay in hospital for some time, afterward
being held as a prisoner of war at the Old Capitol prison and
Fort Delaware. He was one of the first prisoners exchanged under
the cartel, when about five thousand prisoners were brought to
Richmond. He then returned to his home, with an honorable
discharge. In October, 1876, he had the additional misfortune of
a fall from a scaffolding which broke both his legs and caused
the amputation of one of them. He is an influential and highly
respected citizen; held the office of collector for the town, and
after its incorporation as a city was made treasurer, an office he
yet holds. In John Bowie Strange camp, Confederate Veterans, he
holds the rank of paymaster.

James Dawley Jordan, of Smithfield, who rendered devoted
service in his youth to the Confederate cause, was born in Isle of
Wight county, October 30, 1845, the son of Col. Josiah W. Jor-
dan, and Fanny Dawley, his wife.' Colonel Jordan, born Sep-
tember I, 1801, died January 8, 1852, was the son of William and
Martha Jordan, and the grandson of John Jordan, who was born
December 17, 1776, and died January 6, 1814. Colonel Jordan had
six sons and four daughters. One of the sons was too young
during the war to enter the service in any capacity, but the other
five were given cheerfully to the cause of Southern independence.
Alonzo B., the oldest, served as captain of the Newtown Rifles,
a company of the Third Virginia infantry; Walter B. was in the
Petersburg cavalry. Thirteenth Virginia cavalry regiment; Opie
D. was a member of the Old Dominion Guard, Third Virginia in-
fantry, and later of the signal corps; and Josiah W. served in the
Portsmouth light artillery and the Petersburg cavalry of the Thir-
teenth Virginia cavalry regiment. James Dawley Jordan, next
younger, made his home at Petersburg in 1861, and was employed
as a drug clerk until 1863, when, being seventeen years of age, he
became a member of the Petersburg Juniors, a boy company, or-
ganized as a home guard. Soon afterward he enlisted in the signal
corps, and served in that capacity until the close of the war, being
stationed on the Appomattox river and with the army about Peters-
burg, and finally surrendering at Appomattox. After the conclu-
sion of hostilities he engaged in farming in his native county. In
1891 he was elected secretary and business manager of the Smith-
field alliance company, a stock organization formed by the farm-
ers of Isle of Wight county, and since then he has managed their
business at Smithfield. In 1893 he was elected mayor of Smith-


field, and in May, 1897, was re-elected. Josiah W. Jordan, another
of these patriotic brothers, was born in Isle of Wight county, June
24, 1843. In i860 he entered mercantile pursuits as a clerk at
Portsmouth, where, at the breaking out of war, he was among the
first to respond to the call to arms. He enlisted in the Ports-
mouth light artillery April 17, 1861, and served with that command
until August 9, 1862, when he was transferred to the Petersburg
cavalry, a company of the Thirteenth Virginia cavalry regiment,
whose operations he shared in Virginia, Maryland and Pennsyl-
vania until the close of the war. He was wounded at Kelley's
Ford, May 2, 1863, and at Mattaponi river, May 17, 1864. Since
the war he has engaged in agriculture and mercantile business in
his native county, and since 1878 has held the office of postmaster
at Carrollton. He was married in 1877 to Miss Martha A. Black-

Robert L. Judkins, of Petersburg, Va., a Confederate soldier,
had the good fortune to be associated during his military career
with the immortal cavalry leader, J. E. B. Stuart, and his famous
successor. Wade Hampton. He was born in Surry county in 1832,
a native of Virginia, and when fourteen years of age he came to
Petersburg to reside. There he enlisted in 1861 in the Petersburg
Rifles, subsequently assigned to the Twelfth Virginia infantry as
Company E, and with this command served for some time at Nor-
folk and vicinity. He was then transferred to the Thirteenth Vir-
ginia regiment of cavalry, and soon afterward was detailed as
courier to Gen. J. E. B. Stuart. He continued to be attached to
the headquarters of the brilliant cavalry general until he received
his mortal wounds at Yellow Tavern, and participated in all the
famous raids and campaigns of the cavalry division of the army
of Northern Virginia in the Old Dominion, Maryland and Penn-
sylvania. After the death of Stuart he was for a time attached to
the headquarters of General Lee, and then ordered to report to
Gen Wade Hampton, with whom he served in the campaign
against Sherman, and finally surrendered at Greensboro, N. C.
During his service with General Hampton's command he was de-
tailed for a few weeks as assistant quartermaster of the cavalry.
During the period since the close of hostilities Mr. Judkins has
been a portion of the time in mercantile business, and since 1886
has held the position of secretary of the South Side manufacturing
company of Petersburg. He is an influential and popular citizen,
and is a member of the A. P. Hill camp, Confederate Veterans, and
highly regarded by his comrades. In 1867 he was married to Miss
Rebecca Spratley, of Surry county, and they have two daughters
living: Viola and Rebecca-
William Kail, of Petersburg, Va., an artillery soldier of the Con-
federacy, and now a valued member of A. P. Hill camp, United
Confederate Veterans, was born at Petersburg in 1844. Orphaned
during infancy by the death of his father, W. M. Kail, he was serv-
ing out the years of an apprenticeship when the war broke out, and
he continued in this employment until 1863. He then enlisted in
Bradford's Mississippi battery, and after service in the vicinity of
Petersburg and at Drewry's Bluff, was ordered into North Caro-
lina. There, in April, 1864. he participated in the movement under
General Hoke, which resulted in the capture of the entire Federal


garrison at Plymouth, and continued to be successful until the
forces were recalled from New Bern, where they had gained pos-
session of the outer works, to rein'force the army in Virginia.
Subsequently he served at Weldon and Hick's Ford, in defense of
the Weldon railroad, until after the evacuation of Richmond, when
his command fell back to Warrenton. In the latter part of April
he came to Petersburg and was paroled. He then embarked in
business, in which he has subsequently continued, meeting with
much success as the result of his rommendable energy. In 1873.
Mr. Kail was married to Miss Alice O. Mingee, of Petersburg,
and they have five children: Katie Eva, Herbert Stanley, Lulu
Cora, Willie C. and Frank L.

Colonel Robert G. H. Kean, of Lynchburg, Va., chief of the
bureau of war of the Confederate States during a large part of the-
existence of that government, was born in Caroline county, Va.,
October 7, 1828. His grandfather, Andrew Kean, was a distin-
guished physician in his day and was offered by Mr J"efferson the
first chair in the medical department of the university of Vir-
ginia. The subject of this sketch was prepared for college at the-
Episcopal high school, under the charge of Rev. (afterward Gen-

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 108 of 153)