Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 110 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 110 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

rejoined his command on the morning before the fight at Bristoe
Station in the fall of 1863, in which he participated, as well as in
the battle of Mine Run. During the bloody campaign of 1864
he was identified with the record of Mahone's brigade in the Wil-
derness and Spottsylvania Court House. During the fight at the
"bloody angle," he was again severely wounded and was subse-
quently for some time in hospital at Richmond. He rejoined
his command in October, 1864, and participated in the battles of
Burgess' Mill and Hatcher's Run, served with the brigade on the
Bermuda Hundred lines before Petersburg, and finally joined in
the retreat to Appomattox, where he was surrendered with the
army. Since that memorable April day of i86s he has been actively
engaged in the pursuits of business life at Petersburg, and since
1882 has conducted a prosperous business as a florist. He is a
faithful comrade to the veterans of the army, and maintains a
membership in the A. P. Hill camp, United Confederate Veterans.
In 1882 he was married to Martha, daughter of Edward Fenn, a
prominent contractor of Petersburg.

Major Thomas Jellis Kirkpatrick, of Lynchburg, Va., a dis-
tinguished artillery officer of the army of Northern Virginia, was
born in Cumberland county, July 31, 1829. At the age of seven-
teen he made his home at Lynchburg, and subsequently attended
the Washington-Lee college, obtaining as a part of his education,
a military training and proficiency in the artillery service. In 1861
he organized a company of artillery, thereafter known as Kirk-
patrick's battery, or the Amherst Artillery, and was commissioned
captain in September, 1861. This rank he held until January,
1865, when he was promoted major, and assigned to the command
of Nelson's battalion, of which his battery was the senior com-


pany. With his battery he had his first experience in battle dur-
ing the Peninsular campaign, participating in the fighting on the
retreat from Yorktown, and in the Seven Days' battles which fol-
lowed the accession of Lee to the command of the army. Sub-
sequently he took part in all the battles of the Maryland campaign
doing effective work at Sharpsburg, and also being engaged with
the enemy on the following day at Harper's Ferry, where he was
detailed to organize the artillery captured by General Jackson.
Four battle names follow in his record that will be forever famous
as gigantic and desperate struggles — Fredericksburg, Chancellors-
ville, Gettysburg and Spottsylvania Court House, in all of which
he was a gallant participant. Then the struggle was renewed be-
fore Richmond, and he fought with the victorious Confederates
at Cold Harbor. Immediately thereafter he went with his battal-
ion, attached to the Second corps, under command of General
Early, to the Shenandoah valley, where they drove out Hunter,
and then, crossing the Potomac, marched through Maryland par-
ticipating in the battle of Monocacy, where the battery was hotly
engaged and lost two of its lieutenants, and moving on the out-
works of Washington and joining in the demonstration against
the Federal capital, which included some brisk fighting. Then re-
turning to the valley, he was •engaged at Stevenson's depot, July
19, 1864, where the battery suffered severely, losing its four guns,
and two lieutenants. Here Captain Kirkpatrick's horse was killed
under him. Given another battery of guns, he rendered important
service in the action of August 17th, near Winchester, when Early
overwhelmed Torbert's division, and drove it from Winchester.
In this fight, which Gen. R. E. Lee pronounced one of the most
brilliant small battles of the war, Kirkpatrick's battery was hotly
engaged all day long, and the captain was wounded, but not seri-
ously. He continued in the campaign in the valley, fighting at
Strasburg, and at Waynesboro, and in the spring of 1865, after
the surrender of General Lee, started with a force to join General
Johnston, but disbanded at Pittsylvania when assured that further
action was in vain. From this long and dangerous service he es-
caped without injury except the wound at Winchester and another,
not serious, received at Spottsylvania. Returning to Lynchburg,
he resumed the practice of law, in which he had been engaged from
his adinission to the bar in 1849. to 1861, and though the oath of
allegiance was then required, concluded not to take it. During
the following years he again became prominent in civil affairs.
During four years he sat in the State senate for his district, and
was an influential member of that body.

Lieutenant Robert T. Knox, of Fredericksburg, Va., was born
in that city July 24, 1837, and was one of six brothers who par-
ticipated in the military operations of the Confederacy. The father
of this patriotic family was Thomas Fitzhugh Knox, a native of
Culpeper county, who conducted a large flouring mill and mer-
cantile business at Fredericksburg before the war. He was mar-
ried in 1832 to Virginia Soutter, daughter of Robert Soutter, a
native of Dundee, Scotland, who was prominent as a merchant
at Norfolk. She died June 19, 1886, her husband June 24, 1890.
Of their fourteen children, seven are yet living. Six of the
eleven sons served in the Confederate army — Robert T., James S.,


Thomas S., Samuel G., Alexander B., and Douglas H. All went
through the war without injury except Alexander, who was
wounded at Dinwiddie Court House, and died from the effects
of the injury soon after the close of the war. Robert T. Knox was
educated at Hanson's academy at Fredericksburg, and the Episco-
pal high school at Alexandria, and then found employment as a
bookkeeper. He was a member of the company organized at
Fredericksburg, under Capt. William S. Barton, at the time of
the John Brown affair in 1859, and he still treasures among his
relics a piece of the scaffold upon which Brown expiated his at-
tempt at insurrection, and recalls the singular circumstance that
the first victim of the foolhardy scheme in behalf of the colored
people was the shooting by Brown's men of a negro servant of
Colonel Beckham, who ran to warn his master of the invasion.
With his company, Mr. Knox was mustered into active service
April 19, 1861, and was sent to Aquia creek, where the company
was assigned to the Thirtieth Virginia infantry, of which he was
appointed sergeant-major. At the reorganization, in 1862, he was
elected second lieutenant of Company C, and during the last four-
teen months of the war he commanded the company in the ab-
sence on detail of Capt. C. Wister Wallace. He was identified
throughout the war with the record of Corse's brigade of Pickett's
division, army of Northern Virginia, and waig on duty in the battles
of First Manassas, Seven Pines, Malvern Hill, Frayser's Farm,
Harper's Ferry^ Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, First and Second
Cold Harbor, Gaines' Mill, Drewry's Bluflf, Dinwiddie Court
House, Five Forks and Sailor's Creek. In the latter disaster he
was captured and subsequently was imprisoned at Johnson's island
until June, 1865. He is now the senior member of the firm of
Robert T. Knox & Brother, of Frederickiburg, one of the lead-
ing business houses of the city. He has also held the office of
city treasurer since 1890. On November 10, 1868, he was married
to Miss Mary G. Brockenbrough, daughter of Col. MoDre F.
Brockenbrough, of the war of 1812, and sister of Col. John M.
Brockenbrough, who commanded a brigade in the opening fight
of the battle of Gettysburg. Three children of Lieutenant Knox
are living: Robert S., Austina B. and William U. Capt. James
S. Knox, another son of Thomas Fitzhugh Knox, who was in
the Confederate service, was born at Fredericksburg, February 2,
1842. He was educated at Hanson's academy and the Episcopal
high school at Alexandria, and two days before the passage of the
ordinance of secession of Virginia, enlisted in the volunteer com-
pany which was subsequently assigned as Company B to the
Thirtieth regiment Virginia infantry. He served in the rank of
orderly-sergeant until the reorganization, when he was elected
first lieutenant of Company B, and when Capt. Hugh S. Doggett
was disabled by wounds received at Sharpsburg, he took command
of the company. He received the commission of captain early in
1865. Captain Knox was one of the first to leave Fredericksburg
for the Confederate service, and one of the last to return home.
He was in all the battles of the Thirtieth regiment from the be-
ginning of the war, and his service was closed at the disaster to
Ewell's corps at Sailor's Creek. After his capture in this battle
he was imprisoned at Johnson's island, Ohio, until June, 1865.


Since the war he has been active in the comradeship of Maury
camp, Confederate Veterans, at Fredericksburg, in which he has
held the rank of lieutenant-commander. He has served twenty
years in the city council, and is prominent in business as a mem-
ber of the firm of Robert T. Knox & Brother, managing several
important enterprises. He is the owner of one of the most inter-
estmg relics of the war, which has been frequently illustrated, a
disc of lead formed by the impact in midair of a Confederate and
a Federal bullet.

Gottfried Krieg, of Washington, D. C, was born in Germany
in 1832, and at the age of twenty years immigrated to America,
making his home at first in the State of New York. Subsequently
he removed to Alexandria, Va., and during his residence there
before the war, became thoroughly identified with the State and in
sympathy with the sentiments of its citizens. When the State de-
termined to cast its lot with the Confederacy he promptly enlisted
for its defense, becoming a private of infantry in Company E of
the Seventeenth regiment of volunteers. With this command he
served in the hard fought battle and decisive victory at Manassas,
in 1861, and subsequently in the Peninsular campaign of 1862, at
Williamsburg and Seven Pines, besides a number of skirmishes at
various dates. At the battle of Seven Pines he received two
wounds of such severity that he was incapacitated for further serv-
ice, and was honorably discharged. Being removed to the hos-
pital at Richmond he lay there for six months, and on leaving
there in a convalescent condition he attempted to return to duty
in the guard service at the capital, but after two weeks' effort was
compelled by his physical condition to abandon the hope of further
service in the army. At the close of the war he returned to his old
home at Alexandria, and subsequently removed to Washington,
where he has been quite successfully engaged as an upholsterer
and as proprietor of Krieg's express. He is a member of the
camp ef Confederate Veterans, and is highly esteemed by his com-

William Sterling Lacy, D. D., a well-known minister of the
Presbyterian church, during the past decade stationed at Norfolk,
Va., is a member of a family distinguished in the divine calling.
His grandfather, Rev. Drury Lacy, of whom there are twenty
descendants in the Presbyterian ministry, was a son of William
Lacy, a Virginia planter, and a descendant of Normans who set-
tled in the north of Ireland in the service of William the Con-
queror. Drury Lacy, born in Chesterfield county, October 5, 1758,
was an instructor for many years in Hampden-Sidney college,
subsequently vice-president and, after the resignation of President
Smith, in 1788, acting president until 1796, when he retired to his
plantation known as Mt. Ararat; was the clerk for many years of
Hanover Presbytery and repea);edly a delegate to the general as-
sembly of the Presbyterian church, and moderator of that body
in 1809. An accident in youth, due to the explosion of a gun, de-
stroyed his left hard and required the protection of his wrist by
a silver cup, on account of which, and because he possessed a
voice singularly sweet and sonorous, he was frequently referred to
as "Lacy, with the silver hand and silver voice." He died in 1815,
and was interred in the grounds of the Second Presbyterian church


of Philadelphia. His son, Rev. Drury Lacy, A. M., D. D., was
born in Prince Edward county, August 3, 1802, was a graduate of
Hampden-Sidney college, pastor of the Presbyterian church at
New Bern, N. C, 1833-1837, pastor of the First Presbyterian
church of Raleigh, N. C, 1837-1855; president of Davidson
college, 1855-1861; served as chaplain in the Confederate serv-
ice, 1862-1865; and died at the residence of his son, William Ster-
ling, at Jonesboro, N. C, in 1884. One of his sisters married
Rev. Samuel Davies Hoge, son of Rev. Moses Hoge, D. D., pres-
ident of Hampden-Sidney college, and the father of Rev. Moses
Drury Hoge, D. D., LL.D., of Richmond, Va. The mother of
Dr. Wm. Sterling Lacy was Williana, daughter of Williarn and
Elizabeth (Smith) Wilkinson, was related to the Hawes family of
Richmond and to the Rev. B. M. Smith, D. D., professor in the
Union theological seminary at Hampden-Sidney. William Ster-
ling Lacy was born at Raleigh, N. C, March 25, 1842. At thirteen
years of age, when his father became president of Davidson col-
lege, he entered that institution as a student and was graduated
in 1859, after which he studied in preparation for the nlinistry at
the Union theological seminary, Virginia. When the Virginia
troops were called out in 1861 he was anxious to enlist, but his
father opposed such a step until after the fall of Fort Donelson,
when he gave his assent, and young Lacy became a member of the
Rockbridge artillery, in February, 1862. Early in April he and a
comrade, George H. Gilmer, a son of Governor Gilmer, of Virginia
who had been a fellow student, were summoned to Gen. Stone-
wall Jackson's headquarters and were granted by him a sixteen
days' furlough to obtain their ministerial licenses, after which they
rejoined the command just before the battle of McDowell. Here
he was transferred to the Danville battery, under Captain Wooding,
and with this command he participated in all the actions of the
memorable Valley campaign of Gen. Stonewall Jackson from
McDowell to Port Republic. During the Seven Days' fight before
Richmond he was on duty at Ashland in the signal service, but
later in the summer was again with the Rockbridge artillery, and
participated in the engagements of Cedar Run, Second Manassas,
Ox Hill, Chantilly, and afterward took part in the Maryland cam-
paign of 1862, fighting at Harper's Ferry and Sharpsburg. Dur-
ing the latter memorable battle his command was ordered to draw
the fire of the enemy during an important infantry movement, and
was soon the object of a storm of shot and shell, and here he was
in extreme peril, the horse on which he was leaning during a
in firing being killed by a solid shot. His exposure and hard serv-
ice in this campaign brought on an attack of rheumatism and lum-
bago, and he was sent back to the hospital. Thence he was subse-
Vjuently detailed as assistant chaplain to Rev. Dr. Hoge at Camp
Lee, and, after other service of this nature, was commissioned
chaplain of the Forty-seventh North Carolina regiment, in August,
1863, with which he served throughout the remainder of the war.
Then, returning to North Carolina, he taught at Raleigh until
1868, and. being ordained in 1869, served as pastor of Anchor-of-
Hope and Cove churches, Wythe county, Va., 1869-1873; of Buf-
falo and Euphronia churches, Moore county, N. C, 1873-1888; was
assistant editor of Davidson college semi-centennial catalogue, and,


since 1888, has been pastor of the Second Presbyterian church of
Norfolk. He is a trustee of the Assembly's home and school at
Fredericksburg, director of the Union theological seminary; was
trustee of Davidson college 1876-1888; stated clerk of the North
Carolma synod 1878-1886; clerk of the presbytery of Abingdon
1869-1873 and of the presbytery of Norfolk 1893-1898. With loyalty
to his former comrades he- maintains a membership in Pickett-Bu-
chanan camp U. C. V. In the field of general literature he has been
a frequent contributor to periodicals, in prose and verse, has com-
posed a number of pieces of sacred music, and has delivered sev-
eral lectures on literary and philosophical subjects. Dr. Lacy was
married October 10, 1888, to Mary C. Shepherd, of Gulf, N. C,
daughter of a Confederate soldier who died in service.

Captain John Lamb, of Richmond, was born June 12, 1840, in
Sussex county, where his father, Lycurgus A. Lamb, a man of
broad culture, was at that time engaged in teaching. The family
returned to their home in Charles county five years later, and there
the father died in 1835, leaving the children dependent upon their
mother, a* woman of high intellectual attainments, who had assisted
her husband in his school work, and continued the educational
work after his death. She was Ann Elizabeth Christian, daughter
of Rev. James H. Christian, and was descended from a prominent
family which includes among its ancestors Capt. Joseph Chris-
tian, a soldier of the revolution who greatly distinguished himself
in the assault on Stony Point, under Gen. Anthony Wayne, in 1776.
An orphan at an early age, young Lamb abandoned his academical
studies and worked manfully for the support of the family, devoting
his nights to the study of the science of civil engineering. This
work was terminated in 1861 by the call of the State for troops,
when he went to the front, in May, in the Charles City Troop,
which had been organized in 1858, and of which he had been a
member since 1859. The command was mustered in as Company
D of the Third Virginia cavalry, with Mr. Lamb as first sergeant.
Within the following year he was promoted second lieutenant and
captain, serving in the latter rank throughout the remainder of the
struggle. His service was distinguished by gallantry and a devo-
tion to duty which is one of the most conspicuous points of his
character. The list of engagements in which he participated in-
cludes the names of Big Bethel, the Seven Days' battles, Second
Manassas, Sharpsburg, Chancellorsville, General Stuart's raid
through Maryland and Pennsylvania, with numerous skirmishes,
in one of which he was wounded in the head, the last day's fight at
Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, where he received an-
other gunshot wound in the head; Hawe's Shop, where he was
seriously wounded in the thigh: Yellow Tavern, Mechanicsville,
Cedar Creek. Sailor's Creek, and Appomattox. During an action'
at Harper's Ferry in 1863 he was captured, but was exchanged a
week later. After laying down his arms at Appomattox Captain
Lamb returned to his home in Charles City county, and became
engaged as a farmer. But his distinguished military services and
the ability he at once displayed in civil life, soon led to his being
called to serve in an official capacity. He was first elected sheriff
of the county, and subsequently treasurer and surveyor. He also
acted for some time as chairman of the Democratic central com-


mittee. During the past decade he has been a resident of Henrico
county, where he has also been a prominent and influential citizen,
and as a public speaker has taken an active part in political affairs.
In August, 1896, he was nominated by his party as their candidate
for representative in Congress for the Third district, and was elected
after an exciting campaign. He was re-elected in 1898. The wife of
Captain Lamb is a daughter of the late Rev. Anderson Wade, of
Charles City county, who was the rector of Westover and Napsiea
parishes for twenty-five years.

Colonel William Lamb, of Norfolk, the "hero of Fort Fisher,"
was born at that city, September 7, 1835. In youth he was under
the instruction of General Mahone at the Rappahannock military
academy, in mathematics and tactics, and in 1855 he was graduated
in law at William and Mary college, delivering the valedictory
address. In the following January he became editor of the Daily
Southern Argus, of Norfolk, an influential democratic journal,
and began an active career in politics as alternate delegate to the
national convention which nominated Mr. Buchanan and as assist-
ant elector. He was a candidate for mayor in the same year and,
though defeated, caused the election of councils which introduced
the modern public school system. In i860 he was the only presi-
dential elector successful on the Breckinridge ticket, but, on ac-
count of his illness the electors at their meeting cast the State's
full vote for Bell and Everett. In 1858 he became captain of the
Woodis Riflemen, one of the crack companies of Norfolk, which
served at Harper's Ferry in 1859, and was first on duty in 1861 on
March 7th, guarding the streets of Norfolk that night. He was called
out with his company, April i8th, and was soon afterward sent to
Ocean View, part of the company sei-ving under Captain Lamb in
the defense of Sewell's Point in May, when his conduct was highly
complimented by Captain Colquitt. He was authorized to organ-
ize a battalion, of which his company should be part, and he raised
two companies accordingly in Princess Anne and Norfolk coun-
ties, but his organizations were assigned to the Sixth regiment.
Colonel Lamb thereupon resigned and accepted from the governor
of North Carolina a commission as colonel of State troops. He
was first assigned to the staff of Gen. Joseph R. Anderson and,
when the Thirty-sixth North Carolina regiment of Second artillery
was organized he became its commander. On July 4, 1862, he as-
sumed command of Fort Fisher, then an inconsiderable earthwork,
which he developed into a large and powerful fort, the key to the
Cape Fear river defenses and Wilmington, the great importing
depot of the South. Here he was in command for two years and a
half, maintaining a gateway between the Confederate States and
the outside world, until all other channels had been closed. In
December, 1864, he and his North Carolinians in garrison were
assailed by the most powerful fleet ever assembled in the western
world. A ship containing two hundred and fifty tons of powder
was exploded near the fort, December 23, and, during the next two-
days Porter's fleet kept up a terrific bombardment, notwithstand-
ing all which, the gallant defenders repulsed the attack of the land
forces under Butler. On January 12, 1865, another attack was be-
gun in which the six hundred guns afloat were aided by Terry's
division of eight or ten thousand infantry. Lamb had less than-


two thousand men and forty-four guns. After three days and
nights of incessant bombardment the assault was made, in which
the enemy lost almost as many as the garrison numbered. The col-
umns of Federal marines were driven back with heavy loss, but
meanwhile other columns of the enemy gained a foothold in the
fort, and after a bloody and desperate struggle, the remnant of the
garrison, driven out upon the peninsula, surrendered at lo o'clock
at night. As General Whiting reported, the gallant resistance of
Fort Fisher was entirely due to the "untiring energy, dauntless
resolution and brilliant courage of Colonel Lamb, devotedly sup-
ported by his men." He was desperately wounded, so that he was
upon crutches for seven years afterward. While he was a prisoner,
his promotion to brigadier-general of artillery was approved by
General Lee. After the war he became a merchant and devoted a
fortune to the founding of the present importance of Norfolk as an
exporting point for cotton. He was a delegate to the Democratic
national convention of 1876, in 1877 was at the head of the Con-
servative State campaign, in 1880 was an elector on the Hancock
ticket, in 1881 supported Governor Cameron, and subsequently has
been a prominent leader of the Republican party, becoming the
head of the organization, and leading the electoral ticket in 1888.
He has declined all official honors save that of mayor of Norfolk,
to which he was elected in 1880, 1882 and 1884.

Joseph Benjamin Lambert, of Richmond, who has a gallant
record as a member of the First Richmond Howitzers in the service
of the Confederate States, is a native of that city, born in 1836. In
his sixteenth year, in the month of October, 1861, he enlisted in the
Howitzers and served faithfully and efficiently until he received
severe wounds in the right arm in the battle of Cold Harbor, in
1864, which put an end to his participation in the war. In the list
of encounters with the enemy, in which he took part, are the famous

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 110 of 153)