Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 111 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 111 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


names of Leesburg, Williamsburg, Seven Pines, Frayser's Farm,
Savage Station, Malvern Hill, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville,
Gettysburg and the Wilderness. After receiving the injuries in bat-
tle which have been mentioned, he returned to Richmond, and,
-when recovered went to New Orleans, where he was engaged until
1874 in the office of the New Orleans Crescent newspaper. Then
returning to Richmond, he embarked in the cigar and tobacco
retail trade, in which he is yet occupied.

Captain Levin Winder Lane, of Williamsburg, a veteran of Ros-
ser's cavalry, was born in Matthews county, Va., January 6, 1839,
the son of John H. and Ann (Ransom) Lane. He was reared upon
the home farm, on the shore of Chesapeake bay, and educated at
Matthews academy. In 1859 he began farming for himself in James
City county, and in i860, married Miss Mattie Spenser. He be-
came a member of the James City cavalry in April, 1861, first as a
private, and the command was assigned as Company H to the Fifth
Virginia cavalry regiment, Col. Thomas H. Rosser commanding.
Upon the reorganization he was elected a lieutenant, and, in 1863,
he was promoted captain. He participated in all the many engage-
ments and campaigns of his regiment and commanded his company
in the important battles of the Wilderness, Yellow Tavern, Tre-
vilian's, Winchester and Cedar Creek, besides many cavalry affairs
of less note. He was captured at Hanover Court House in May,



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 991

1863, but was immediately paroled; was wounded in the fight at
Kelly's Ford, and at Cedar Creek received a severe wound which
put an effectual stop to his military career and crippled him for
the remainder of life. He retained his rank as captain until the
close of the war, no successor being elected. When sufficiently re-
covered to do business, he acted two years as deputy sheriff of his
county and, being elected sheriff in 1869, served one term in that
office. In 1871 he was elected treasurer of James City and of the
city of Williamsburg, and such was his ability and the esteem of
the community for the gallant Confederate, that he was retained in
office by successive re-elections until 1886, when he declined further
election. Since then he has conducted a mercantile establishment
in the city of Williamsburg, on the site of the old Raleigh Tav-
ern, where the house of burgesses met after the body had been
dissolved by Governor Dunmore at the' old capitol in Williams-
burg. He has also been engaged in farming since the war and is
the owner of several profitable farms in the county. He is a mem-
ber of Magruder-Ewell camp. United Confederate Veterans. Cap-
tain Lane has seven children living: Levin W. Jr., his business
partner; Lucy, wife of Edwin T. Lamb, of Norfolk; Carrie D.,
wife of H. D. Cole, of Williamsburg; Mary Garnett, wife of B.
D. Peachy; Oscar; Spenser, a cadet at the Virginia military insti-
tute, and Walter Gardner.

Maurice D. Langhorne, of Pulaski county, a member of a patri-
otic Virginia family, was born in Roanoke county in August, 1847.
He removed to Montgomery county in 1858, and thence entered
the Virginia military institute in 1863. During his seventeenth year
he participated in the famous campaign of the cadet corps at New
Market, where they played an important part in winning a victory
over the Federal troops and fought side by side and with equal
distinction with veterans. He was subsequently in the reserve
forces at Richmond during the fighting on the Cold Harbor line,
and then, being sent back to the institute, reached there on the day
before the college buildings were burned by Hunter's raiders. He
served in the Confederate lines before Lynchburg when that town
was threatened by Hunter, and afterward was a member of the
cadet corps at Richmond when their time was divided between
study and service on the lines. After the evacuation of Petersburg
he, with other of his cadet comrades, formed a battery for the pro-
tection of Lynchburg, and, after the surrender at Appomattox, he
attempted to join Johnston's army. Since the war he has been en-
gaged in farming and in real estate agency. His brother, James
H. Langhorne, adjutant of the Fourth Virginia regiment, Stone-
wall brigade, was wounded at First Manassas, and before complete-
ly recovered went into the fight at Kernstown, where he was again
wounded and captured. After imprisonment at Fort Delaware and
exchange, he died from the effect of his wounds. Another brother,
J. Kent Langhorne, of the Second Virginia cavalry, was killed at
Raccoon Ford, near Brandy Station.

Colonel Maurice Scaresbrook Langhorne, of Lynchburg, distin-
guished as an officer of the army of Northern Virginia during its
earlier campaigns, is a member of an old and honorable Virginia
family. His father, Maurice Langhorne, served as a lieutenant of
the Cumberland troop in the war of 1812, and his grandfather.



992 CONFEDERA TE MILITARY HISTORY.

William Langhorne, was a member of the house of burgesses. He
was born in Cumberland county, March 27, 1823. Brought by his-
parents to Lynchburg, in December, 1827, he was reared and edu-
cated at that city, and, in 1840, entered business life as a clerk there
in a dry goods establishment. Four years later he embarked in an
independent business career as a manufacturer of tobacco, which he
continued until the passage of the ordinance of secession. He was
then a well-informed militia soldier and held the rank of captain
of the Lynchburg Rifle Greys. With his command he immediately
answered the call of the State, and the company was mustered in
as Company A of the Eleventh Virginia infantry, on April 23, 1861.
As captain of his company he participated in the action at Black-
burn's Ford, July 18th, and in the battle of Manassas, July 21st. In
September he was promoted major, and, as a compliment deserved
by gallant service, was placed by Gen. J. E. B. Stuart in command
of ten companies, including his own and details from other regi-
ments, at Munson's Hill, overlooking Washington. In this posi-
tion, on September 29, 1861, he sustained an attack by a three-fold
preponderating force of Federals, and by fearless action and an ef-
fective use of the two pieces of artillery at hand, repulsed three as-
saults of the enemy. In November following he fought at Dranes-
ville, and on May 5, 1862, participated in the battle of Williams-
burg, in the Peninsular campaign. Promoted lieutenant-colonel,
May 31st, he did gallant service at Seven Pines in command of his
regiment, but fell severely wounded. Promotion to colonel prompt-
ly followed, but his injuries were of such a nature that it was im-
possible for him to return to the field and his career as a com-
mander, with its promise of rapid and high advancement, was
brought to a close. Determined, however, to do all that he could
for the cause, he accepted as soon as he was partially recovered, in
the winter of 1862-63, the command of the military post at Lynch-
burg and held this position until the following summer. Subse-
quently, being retired from active service by the medical board at
Lynchburg, he was assigned to the department of reserves, under
command of General Kemper, and remained upon that duty until
toward the close of 1864. He was then transferred to the en-
gineering department at Richmond, under General Gilmer, and
served in that capacity in the defense of the city until its evacua-
tion. Then returning to Lynchburg, by order of General Gilmer,
he was paroled there in April, 1865, terminating a highly creditable
and meritorious career in the service of the Confederate States.
On returning to civil life at the close of the war, he was engaged,
until 1867, as an insurance agent, and then returned to his original
occupation, the manufacture of tobacco, which he carried on for
six years, then retiring from business. Now, past the allotted
three-score and ten, he watches with great interest the rehabilita-
tion of his loved Virginia, and the promising efforts of the genera-
tion which has taken the burden from the shoulders of those who
fought in the war of the Confederacy.

John W. Lash, of Portsmouth, a native of that city, was one of
those patriots who enrolled themselves on the night of April 20,
1861, immediately following Governor Letcher's call for volunteers,
and were organized in a company called the "Virginia Defenders,"
under Capt. E. T. Blamire. As Company C it was assigned to the



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 993

Sixteenth infantry regiment and, in June, 1862, after being started
to the support of Jackson in the valley, was called back to Rich-
mond to participate in the Seven Days' fighting against McClellan.
At the battle of Malvern Hill he had in his pocket a picture of his
boy baby, which his young wife had sent him, and this checked
the course of a bullet so that he was not seriously hurt. Writing
home, he asked that the child's name be changed to Malvern Hill,
which was done. Mr. Lash continued to serve with his regiment,
in Mahone's brigade, sharmg the honors it gained at Crampton's
Gap and many other fields throughout the war. He was for a
great part of the time detached with the sharpshooters of the com-
mand. His son, Malvern Hill, above mentioned, now a prominent
citizen of Newport News, was born at Cherry Grove, Nansemond
county, June 13, 1862. He entered mercantile life at an early age,
became a partner in a furniture house at Hampton, in 1886, and,
since 1890, has been doing a very successful business in the same
line at Newport News. On November 7, 1887, he was married to
Flora C. Rauschert, and they have three children, Edward, Annie
^nd Flora.

Major John W. Lawson, of Smithfield, Va., a soldier and sur-
geon of the army of Northern Virginia, and since the war a mem-
ber of Congress from the Second district, wis born in James City
â– county, September 13, 1837, the son of James S. and Sallie (Han-
Mns) Lawson. Dr. Lawson was reared at Williamsburg and edu-
cated at William and Mary college, after which he pursued medical
studies in the university of Virginia and the university of New
York, with graduation in March, 1861. Returning home, he im-
mediately enlisted in the Confederate service as a private in the
Williamsburg light artillery, under Capt. W. R. Garrett, and served
in this capacity under General Magruder in the early operations on
the peninsula, including the battle of Big Bethel. Later, in the
army of General Johnston, he took part in the battles of Lee's
Mill, Williamsburg and Seven Pines. After the latter battle he was
transferred to the medical department as assistant surgeon and
promotion to surgeon followed a few months later, with the rank
of major. He was assigned to the Twelfth North Carolina regi-
ment, commanded by Col. Henry Eaton Coleman, and was with
this command throughout its many engagements, including the
Seven Days' battles, Boonsboro, Sharpsburg, Falling Waters,
Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Winchester, Gettysburg, the Wil-
derness, Hanover Junction, Cold Harbor, the Maryland campaign
under Early, including the battle of Monocacy and the demonstra-
tion before Washington, and continued with his regiment during
the long siege of Petersburg and the retreat to Appomattox, where
he surrendered. His entire service was in the field, except when
Tie was detailed by General Early to remain upon the battlefield of
Winchester to care for the wounded, a work which occupied him
three months. After the conclusion of hostilities he practiced med-
icine for sixteen years in the county of Isle of Wight and then re-
tired from professional life to reside on his farm, "The Rocks,"
upon the James river. Since 1893 he has made his home at Smith-
field. He has rendered distinguished service in public capacities,
though not desirous of political honors and invariably declining
re-election. Thus he served his county in the house of delegates



994 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

four continuous sessions and one term as senator from his district
by election in 1873, and in 1883, was re-elected to the house of
delegates. In 1890 he received the honor of election to Congress
from the Second district and served one term in this capacity. He
has twice served on the board of visitors of the agricultural and
mechanical college of Virginia, and for many years occupied the
same relation to the Virginia military institute and William and
Mary college, of which institution he is now president of the board
of visitors, also as the president of the Smithfield alliance company.
January 30, 1877, he was married to Miss Margaret Norileet Urqu-
hart, of Southampton county, and they have six children.

Lieutenant James I. Lee, of Lynchburg, Va., a gallant cavalry-
man of the Second Virginia regiment, is a native of Tennessee,
born in 1843. When he was two years old his parents removed to
Lexington, Mo., where the father died in 1846, after which his
mother brought him to Bedford county, Va., where he was reared
and educated. Upon the first call to arms, in April, 1861, he en-
listed in the service of the State as a private in Company F of the
Second Virginia cavalry. His soldierly qualities were soon mani-
fested and he received promotion in a few months to the grade of
corporal, subsequently to orderly sergeant and finally to second
lieutenant of Company F, which was his rank at the close of the
war. As a daring and devoted cavalryman he participated in a host
of encounters with the enemy, from Manassas to Appomattox.
Most prominent among the engagements in which he served are
the first and second battles at Manassas, Sharpsburg, all the fights
on the Rappahannock river, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Brandy
Station, the cavalry raids of General Stuart in Maryland and Penn-
sylvania, the Cold Harbor engagement of 1864, where he was
wounded and two horses were killed under him successively; the
actions about Richmond and Petersburg and the retreat to Appo-
mattox, where he did not surrender, having escaped with the cav-
alry. He was paroled at Bedford City, Va., and then returned to
civil life. In October, 1865, he removed to Lynchburg, where he
has since resided and attained business distinction in the wholesale
grocery trade. He is one of the popular and useful citizens, the
estimation in which he is held by his fellow-citizens being evidenced
by his election on four occasions to the city council.

John Lee, of Danville, a veteran artilleryman of the army of
Northern Virginia, was born in Maryland, September 12, 1832, the
son of John and Ann (West) Lee. Coming to Virginia in boy-
hood, he followed the carpenter's trade in Fredericksburg and
Richmond and was employed in planing mills at Georgetown and
Culpeper until he enlisted at the latter place, April I7,_ 1861, as a
private in the Culpeper Minute Men, an organization which was as-
signed to the Thirteenth Virginia regiment as Company B. With
this command he took part in the battle of First Manassas, and,
upon its disbandment in February, 1862, joined Sturdivant's bat-
tery, with which he served as a gunner until the close of the war.
Among the principal battles in which he participated were those
of the Seven Days' campaign. Cold Harbor, Stony Creek, the Cra-
ter and Sailor's Creek. He also took part in the siege of SuflEolk
and the long-continued fighting on the Petersburg lines. In 1864,
on Pagan Creek, near Smithfield, he took part in the capture of a



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 995

Federal gunboat, with two pieces of artillery, and, on the previous
day he was engaged in a lively fight four miles from there, in which
he fired the first gun. During his experience in the Petersburg bat-
teries there were many interesting incidents illustrating the life of
an artilleryman. On one occasion he dropped a very successful
shot upon a wood-pile, behind which were a number of sharpshoot-
ers intent on picking him off; on the same day with one gun he put
out of action a four-gun Federal battery, blowing up its caisson; at
another time he caused great havoc in a Federal line which per-
mitted him to enfilade it at a distance of 200 yards. Since the war
Mr. Lee has been engaged in the management of a planing mill at
Danville, has served repeatedly as councilman, and is a valued
member of Cabell-Graves camp. He was married in 1869 to Flo-
rence M. Jeffries, and they have six children.

Robert E. Lee, youngest son of Gen. R. E. Lee, was, at the time
of the secession of Virginia and the appointment of his father as
commander of the military forces of the State, a student in the uni-
versity of Virginia. He at once asked permission to enter the
army, but, in a letter of April, 1861, to his wife. General Lee said:
"I wrote to Robert that I could not consent to take boys from
their schools and young men from their colleges and put them in
the ranks at the beginning of the war, when they are not needed.
The war may last ten years. Where are our ranks to be filled from
then?" From the same correspondence it appears that, in July,
"Rob" was made captain of Company A of the university, and the
general had sent him one of his own swords. Early in 1862 the
young man, then eighteen years of age, made up his mind to leave
the university and enter the army. The general did not encourage
him in this. "I told him," he wrote, "of the exemptioiT granted by
the secretary of war to the professors and students of the univer-
sity, but he expressed no desire to take advantage of it. As I have
done all in the matter that seems proper, I must now leave the
rest in the hands of our merciful God. I hope our son will make
a good soldier." He enlisted as a private in the Rockbridge artil-
lery after the battle of Kernstown and was soon in the thickest of
the fight. Just after the battle of Sharpsburg the general wrote to
Mrs. Lee: "I have not set eyes on 'Rob' since I saw him in the
battle of Sharpsburg, going in with a single gun of his battery, for
the second time, after his company had been withdrawn in conse-
quence of three of its guns having been disabled." In December,
1862, he was appointed aide-de-camp on the staflf of his elder
brother, Gen. W. H. F. Lee, and about the same time was ap-
pointed a cadet in the Confederate States army by President Davis.
He continued in the service until the close of the war and partic-
ipated in all the battles of the army of Northern Virginia under
General Lee, except Gettysburg and Appomattox. He was wound-
ed in the body at Spottsylvania Court House, and again in a fight
with Hancock on the north side of the James river. After the close
of hostilities he was engaged in farming at White House from May
to December, 1865, and in the following year took possession of
his farm in King William county, where he remained until 1892,
when he made his residence at Washington, D. C, and engaged
in business.



S96 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

Willis J. Lee, a citizen of Nansemond, who gave four years of
his youth to the service of the Confederate States as a soldier of
the army of Northern Virginia, was born in the county where he
now resides, January 12, 1846. His father, P. H. Lee, a native of
Virginia, was engaged in dealing in naval stores in Georgia be-
fore the war, and, at the outbreak of the conflict between the North
and South, entered the Confederate service as captain of Company
I of the Thirteenth Virginia regiment. . He continued to hold this
rank until he was compelled to retire on account of a severe injury
to his foot, which disabled him for further service. Since then he
has given his attention to farming and the commission business at
Norfolk. Though Willis J. Lee was but fifteen years of age when
his State united with the Confederacy and was invaded by the Fed-
eral forces, he enlisted, in 1861, and, during the four years which
followed proved himself a thorough soldier, enduring great fa-
tigi^es and hardships and manifesting the courage of a hero on
many bloody fields. He became a private in the company com-
manded by his father, and served in the ranks until the dose of the
war, participating in all the engagements of his regiment from
the Peninsula to Gettysburg, and from the Wilderness to Appo-
mattox. Finally being paroled when the army of Northern Vir-
ginia laid down its arms, he returned to his home to begin the
duties of civil life, having achieved the honors of a veteran at the
age of nineteen years. For two years he was engaged in the pro-
duction of turpentine and naval stores in Georgia, after which he
returned to Nansemond county, and, purchasing land, began his
career as a farmer, in which he has been notably successful. It is
pleasing to note that he has now one of the handsomest residences
in his region, delightfully located upon a farm of three hundred
and fifty acres on Hampton Roads, at the mouth of the Nansemond
river, with conveniences for shipping his products to the great
markets. He is also a director of the Farmer's bank of Nanse-
mond, is a member of the Christian church, and is a comrade of
Tom Smith camp. United Confederate Veterans, at Suffolk. Soon
after the war he was happily married to Mary J., daughter of Wil-
liam H. Jones.

Hezekiah Gilbert Leigh, M. D., since 1857 a prominent physician
of Petersburg, Va., except during the period in which he served as
a surgeon in the Confederate army, was born in Mecklenburg
county, March 12, 1833. His family, of English descent, has long
been resident in the South, first settling in eastern Virginia and
thence removing to North Carolina. In the latter State his great-
grandparents, Gilbert and Elizabeth Leigh, were born. Their son,
Richard Leigh, born in Perquimans county, 1773, died in 1833,
married Charlotte Spruill. Their oldest son. Rev. Hezekiah G.
Leigh, D. D., father of Dr. Leigh, was born in 1795. He gave his
life to the service of the Methodist church, and being a man of
splendid physique and high scholarly attainments, and gifted with a
remarkable power of eloquence, he became one of the most distin-
guished and widely known ministers of his period. He also is en-
titled to honorable fame as the founder of the celebrated Randolph-
Macon college. He died in 1853, leaving surviving him his wife,
Mary Jane, the daughter of Col. Richard Crump, of Northampton,
N. C, and six children: Richard Watson, a gallant Confederate



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 997

soldier, who served as lieutenant-colonel of the Forty-third Mis-
sissippi regiment, until he fell while gallantly leading his
wing of the regiment in the charge upon the Federal
lines at Corinth, October 22, 1862; Hezekiah Gilbert; Louise
C, who married Judge J. B. Sale, of Mississippi, in 1859, and
died in 1864; Joseph Edward, who became a prominent attor-
ney of Columbus, Miss., and died November 7, 1891; Mary Alice,
who married James Craddock, of Columbus, Miss.; and Frank M.,
now a commission merchant at Columbus, Miss. Dr. Leigh was
educated at Randolph-Macon college, and after his graduation, de-
voted two years to the duties of assistant professor of languages
at his alma mater, subsequently holding a professorship for a short
time in a female college at Aberdeen, Miss. He then began prep-
aration for the medical profession, and, after graduation by the
New York medical college, in 1856, and a period of service as as-
sistant physician at Randall's island hospital, he made his home at
Petersburg. During about three years of the war of the Confed-
eracy he held the rank of surgeon in the Confederate service. He
was assigned to the Sixth Louisiana regiment, Hay's brigade,
Jackson's division, in June, 1862, and he continued in active duty
in the field until January, 1864, when, after being disabled by an at-
tack of fever, he was detailed in charge of the principal hospital at
Raleigh, N. C, where he remained until the close of hostilities.
Since then he has devoted himself, without interruption, to his pro-
fessional work at Petersburg. In 1870 he was appointed coroner
at that city by Governor Walker, a position he has held for twenty-
seven years. He is a member of the American, State and local med-
ical associations, and has made valuable contributions to medical
literature. In surgery particularly he has attracted attention by his
skill and success. In 1859 Dr. Leigh was married to Martha Alice,
daughter of Colonel Moody, of Northampton, N. C. Her father
was prominent as a member of the North Carolina legislature and
the secession convention of 1861, and belongs to one of the oldest
families in the State, the land-grants made to her ancestors, by
George II., being now in the possession of Mrs. Leigh. Four chil-



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 111 of 153)