Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 112 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 112 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

dren of Dr. Leigh are living: Mary E., wife of John Willis Hayes,
of the United States geological survey; John H. P., of Weldon, N.
C, whose wife is a granddaughter of the late Hon. Nathaniel Ma-
con, United States senator from North Carolina; Martha W., wife
of James D. Mason, son of Joseph T. Mason, former consul at
Dresden; and Hezekiah G. Jr., a graduate of the medical depart-
ment of the university of Virginia and the Bellevue medical col-
lege of New York, and now a practicing physician at Petersburg.
John H. Lewis, a prominent attorney of Lynchburg, Va., and a
native of that city, born in 1841, abandoned his law studies in the
university of Virginia, in April, 1861, to enter the active military
service of the State as a member of the Southern Guards. This
organization, formed of students at the university, was soon after-
ward disbanded on account of the draft made upon it, by General
Lee, of men to promote to rank in the army, and he enlisted as a
private in Company G of the Eleventh Virginia regiment of infan-
try. He served with this regiment from May, 1861, to May, 1862,
when he was transferred to the artillery and was commissioned lieu-
tenant of Company D of the Twentieth battalion of artillery, where
Va63 «


the remainder of his service was rendered. He participated in the
battles of First Manassas and Dranesville, the Seven Days' fighting
before Richmond, the action at Drewry's Bluff, in 1862, where he
was wounded, the fight with Dahlgren's raiders when their com-
mander was killed, and the disastrous action at Sailor's Creek,
where he was wounded in the right leg and captured by the enemy.
After this misfortune he endured life as a prisoner of war at John-
son's island until June 20, 1865. Soon after his release he returned
to the university of Virginia and completed his course of study in
law. In 1866 he embarked in the practice at Lynchburg, where he
has since resided and successfully practiced his profession.

Lieutenant John Henry Lewis, a well-known citizen of Washing-
ton, D. C, was born at Portsmouth, Va., in 1834, the son of Sam-
uel Morgan Lewis, also a native of the Old Dominion, who served
as a private in the war of 1812 and died in 1862, at the age of seventy-
seven years. Lieutenant Lewis was reared and educated at Ports-
mouth, and embarked in the business of a contractor and builder,
which took him, in the spring of i860, to Savannah, Ga., where he
perceived the growth of the apprehension of evil to result from
the political campaign of that year. He hoped that the evil might
be averted, but when, after a rapid succession of exciting events,
Virginia adopted the ordinance of secession, he was among the
first, as a citizen of Portsmouth and a private in the Third Virginia
regiment of militia, to answer the call of April 20. On the night of
the same day he witnessed some of the terrors of war in the de-
struction of the Gosport navy yard. While with the militia regi-
ment he participated in the affair at Pig's Point and in the occupa-
tion of Norfolk, and, on the disbandment of the regiment, was as-
signed to Company G of the Ninth Virginia infantry. With this
command he served, receiving promotion to lieutenant in the
spring of 1863, in the divisions of Generals Huger, R. H. Anderson
and Pickett, until captured while participating in the charge made
by Pickett's division at Gettysburg, on July 3, 1863. A long and
wearisome life as a prisoner of war followed this misfortune. He
was transported from the battlefield to Fort Delaware, and thence
with other officers to Johnson's island, Ohio, where he was held
until June, 1865. At that date he was started for Richmond for ex-
change, but was detained at the prison at Point Lookout until after
the surrender at Appomattox. Among the battles in which he par-
ticipated were Seven Pines, the Seven Days' fighting before Rich-
mond, the Second Manassas, White Sulphur Springs, Sharpsburg,
Harper's Ferry, Fredericksburg, Suffolk and Gettysburg. On being
paroled at Norfolk, in July, 1865, he returned to his family at
Portsmouth, and with a courageous spirit, manifested at this junc-
ture no less than in the heat of battle, endeavored to start in life
anew. After two years in Portsmouth he removed to Washing-
ton, where he has since resided, and has met with gratifying suc-
cess in his business projects. Lieutenant Lewis was married July
18, 1854, at Portsmouth, to Mary F., daughter of the late Thomas
Emerson, of Virginia, and they have five sons and one daughter,
Mrs. G. W. Talbert, of Washington. Lieutenant Lewis has pub-
lished the story of his military life in an interesting brochure, en-
titled, "Recollections from i860 to 1865," embracing, in mingled
prose and verse, a graphic account of the experiences of a private


with Lee and Jackson, Longstreet, Pickett and Armistead, and the
miseries of life as a prisoner of war. No one is better qualified to
tell the story from the standpoint of a private, and these "Recollec-
tions" are intensely interesting and of real historical value. A few
lines may well be quoted here to illustrate one phase of the Con-
federate soldier's life, quite as important to him as the clash of arms,
but not so often treated of: "I arrived home on the isth of June,
to find my wife on the verge of the grave. My little children did
not know me and wondered what right I had there, but, as their
mother made no objection, I remained and I have been there ever
since. Those little boys and that little girl are now married, and I
have numerous grandchildren. My wife suffered all that it was pos-
sible for a woman to suffer and live. I found her health broken,
with eyes impaired from constant sewing to obtain bread for her
children. We are now growing old, and, looking back and remem-
bering all our trials, the friends that are gone, we can say that
both of us were honest in our opinions. 'That we believed then
that we were right, and that we believe now that we were right
then.' "

Lieutenant R. Byrd Lewis, a distinguished cavalry officer of the
army of Northern Virginia, now residing at Washington, D. C, is
a native of Virginia, born in Westmoreland county in 1842. He was
reared in his native county and attended William and Mary col-
lege in the years 1859 and i860. Among the spirited youth who
sprang to arms at the call of the State, in April, 1861, he tendered
his services for the defense of the commonwealth and became a
member of Braxton's artillery. At first enrolled as a corporal, he
was promoted second sergeant in July, 1861, and served with this
command until April, 1862, meanwhile participating in artillery ac-
tions on Potomac Creek, at the time the Pawnee came down the
river, and at Fredericksburg, early in 1862. In April he re-enlisted
as a private in Company C of the Ninth Virginia cavalry, was pro-
moted sergeant a week later, and in January, 1864, was commis-
sioned lieutenant, in which rank he served during the remainder of
the war. With the cavalry command he participated in numerous
battles of importance and many affairs of less fame, but of no less
daring and adventurous character. He took part in the battle of
Cold Harbor of 1862, and in the subsequent Manassas campaign,
was one of the daring troopers who raided General Pope's head-
quarters at Catlett's Station and refreshed themselves from the
table set for the general's supper. In the Maryland campaign he
was in action at Boonsboro and Sharpsburg, and, on the return
to Virginia, foug'ht near Shepherdstown, where he was wounded in
the right ankle. Disabled for a time, he rejoined his command in
November, 1862, and was soon engaged in a skirmish near Leeds-
town, where, while leading a cavalry charge at night, he found
himself between two fires and in a storm of bullets. Fourteen balls
passed through his coat and six pierced his body. Four of these
balls were removed by the surgeons, in whose hands he remained
for some time. However, in the spring of 1863, he was on duty
again, not missing much campaigning, and on June 9th was in the
fight at Brandy Station and subsequently at Middleburg (where his
horse was killed under him), at Upperville, at Hagerstown, Md.,
during Stuart's raid, at Barbour house, near Brandy station, on the


plains of Manassas, in the cavalry fight at Buckland, Va., at Spott-
sylvania Court House, in a skirmish at Guinea's bridge, a skirmish
on the Telegraph road in Caroline county, at Old Church, Va.,
June 10, 1864, at Hawe's shop, near Nance's shop, June 24, 1864,
Saponey church, June 28th, Stony Creek station, and on July 29th,
in command of his troop in a reconnoissance in force at Malvern
Hill, wihere he was struck by a spent ball over the heart and badly
hurt. After this he fought at White House, White Tavern, August
i6th, and was slightly wounded in the fight at White Oak causeway,
where General Chambers was killed. October 27th he fought at
Hatcher's Run, and, in the following spring, was in the battle of
Five Forks and at Sailor's Creek, where he commanded the skir-
mish line on the left of the army. Subsequently he, with other
cavalrymen, started southward to join Johnston's army, but did not
reach that command before its surrender, and was paroled in West-
moreland county in May. Turning at once to a civil career, he
studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1866. After practicing
in his native county until 1881, he removed to Washington, where
he has had a prominent and successful career. He is a member of
the Washington association of Confederate veterans and served as
commander in 1896.

Major Thomas Lewis, of Roanoke, a gallant soldier of the war
of 1861-65, and since then prominent in the Confederate organiza-
tions, is a member of an old and worthy Virginia family of Scotch-
Irish origin. His grandfather. Gen. Andrew Lewis, of the Con-
tinental army, is remembered as particularly distinguished at the
battle of Point Pleasant. Mr. Lewis was born in that portion of
Botetourt county which is now included in the limits of Roanoke,
in the year 1833. He completed his education at the Virginia
military institute and took an active part in the militia organization
of the State before the war, holding the rank of lieutenant-colonel
of the One Hundred and Thirty-eighth regiment. Upon the seces-
sion of the State, he promptly engaged in those duties for which
his training had particularly qualified him, and, in April, 1861, or-
ganized and tendered to the State a company composed of young
men of Roanoke county, of which he was elected captain. But, on
account of the belief of Governor Letcher, that sufficient troops had
already been put in the field, the company was declined and dis-
banded. He then enlisted as a private in a company, organized and
commanded by his former brother militia officer in the One Hun-
dred and Thirty-eighth regiment. Col. Robert S. Allen, which be-
came Company I of the Twenty-eighth Virginia regiment of in-
fantry. Of this command he was appointed sergeant-major, and,
six months later, adjutant of the regiment. At the reorganization,
in May, 1862, the colonel, Robert T. Preston, having failed of re-
flection, went to the department of Southwest Virginia to become
lieutenant-colonel of a division organized by Gen. John B. Floyd,
and Adjutant Lewis accompanied him, receiving the rank of major.
In this rank he was detailed for six months on recruiting service
for the regiment, and then resigned. Returning to the army of
Northern Virginia, he was appointed adjutant of the Thirty-eighth
Virginia artillery by Mr. Seddon, secretary of war, and, in that
capacity he served during the remainder of the war. Major Lewis
participated with gallantry in the battles of Bull Run, First Manas-


sas, Fredericksburg, New Bern, N. C, Little Washington, N. C,
Plymouth, N. C. (at the latter place suffering the breaking of his
right arm, an injury which disabled him for thirty days), Suffolk,
Va., three days of battle at Gettysburg, Second Cold Harbor (where
his leg was broken by a ball, causing a six months' sojourn in hos-
pital, the engagements about Petersburg, and on the retreat to Ap-
pomattox. On the night before the surrender his regiment of
artillery was -cut off by the Federal cavalry and left Appomattox
for Lynchburg and he was paroled there in May, 1865. Return-
ing to Roanoke, he resumed the agricultural pursuits he abandoned
in the spring of 1861, and, several years later, entered the business
of insurance agency, in which he has since then been occupied
with much success. He is a member and past commander of
William Watts camp, U. C. V., and is past commander of the
grand camp of Virginia. Two brothers of Major Lewis served
in the Confederate cause: Andrew Lewis, now a resident of Flor-
ida, who was a sergeant in Company I of the Twenty-eighth Vir-
ginia regiment, served throughout the war and was twice wounded;
and Charles Lewis, who was a private in the Fourth Texas regi-
ment and died in 1862 at Dumfries on the Potomac river.

William E. Lipscomb, of Manassas, was born in Prince William
county, April 4, 18.33. He was educated at home, and at the age
of fifteen years was appointed to the position of deputy clerk of
the county. He continued in this official occupation, in the mean-
time studying and gaining a practical knowledge of the law, until
the time of the beginning of the war of 1861, at which time he was
in charge of both the clerks' offices. In the spring of 1861 he en-
listed in the Confederate service as a private in Company F of the
Forty-ninth Virginia infantry, and was promoted to the grade of
first lieutenant. In January, 1862, he resigned from the service
and reassumed his official duties in Prince William county, and
so continued until, in 1863, he re-enlisted, as a private, in Company
H of the Fifteenth Virginia cavalry- In this command he served
with the army of Northern Virginia until he was captured in 1864.
His life as a prisoner of war was passed at Fort Delaware, where
he suffered many hardships and deprivations and subsisted upon
provisions that were too scant for full relief from hunger and too
coarse not to excite disgust. After this wearisome experience, the
war being over, he returned to his home and, until 1870, busied
himself in agricultural pursuits. He then took charge of the clerk's
offices of the county, as a deputy, and served until 1876, when he
removed to Manassas and engaged in the practice of law, also
conducting a mercantile business. In 1884 he was elected judge,
a position he still holds through successive elections. As a lawyer
and judge he is held in high esteem by the bar and the public.
He maintains a comradeship in Ewell camp. Confederate Veterans,
and is a member of the Masonic order. In September, 1859, he
was married to Miss Henrietta Holland, of English parentage,
and they have five children.

Captain Connally Trigg Litchfield, of Abingdon, Va., was born
at that city, June S, ,1829.. and resided there until he entered the
military service of Virginia, early in 1861. He became a member
of Company L, First Virginia cavalry, as sergeant, and, going
from Richmond to Winchester, during the occupation of the Tower


valley by the forces under Gen. J. E. Johnston, served under Col.
J. E. B. Stuart in the engagements which took place after the
advance of Patterson from Pennsylvania. Going thence to Ma-
nassas, he participated in the famous battle of July 21, 1861. He
served on picket duty on the Confederate line in northeast Vir-
ginia during the remainder of that season and, at the reorganiza-
tion in the follovifing spring, was elected captain of his company.
From that time till Appomattox he was in all the cavalry fights
and campaigns under Stuart, Hampton and Fitz Lee. He was
wounded at Shepherdstown, in the arm, again in the eye at Brandy
Station, was hit in the face by a 42-caliber pistol ball, which he
carried in his head until July, 1897, and was again wounded at
Jack's shop, in the hip. At Appomattox he succeeded in saving
his regiment from capture, and rode away from the field with
Rosser. After remaining at home for some time following the
surrender, he went to Lynchburg, in 1866, and embarked in busi-
ness there in 1867. Three years later he returned to Abingdon,
where he has since resided. During the administration of Presi-
dent Cleveland he held the office of postmaster.

Captain Hardin Beverly Littlepage, who has for the past decade
been engaged officially at Washington in the collection of the
naval records of the war of the Confederacy, was born, March 8,
1841, in King William county, Va. He was reared in that county
and educated at the Rumford academy, preparatory to his entering
the United States naval academy at Annapolis, where he was en-
rolled in 1858. He would have been graduated at this institution
in June, 1861, but resigned on April 19th, immediately after the
secession of Virginia, and tendered his services to the State. He
was appointed to the rank of midshipman, by Governor Letcher,
and assigned to duty at Fort Norfolk, and ten days later to com-
mand of the battery at Town Point, opposite Newport News.
This command continued for eight months, when he was assigned
to the Virginia, or Merrimac, with the rank of midshipman. He
was identified with the entire career of this famous naval battery
and participated in the encounters in Hampton Roads, receiving
promotion, after the fight with the Monitor, to the rank of master.
After the destruction of the Virginia by her own crew, he served
at Drewry's blufl in the repulse of the attempted landing from
the Federal fleet, one of the most important Confederate victories
of that period. In the fall of 1862 he was promoted second lieu-
tenant, and, with ten of the Virginia's crew, served on the gun-
boat Chattahoochee, in Florida waters until the following Decem-
ber. He was then with the ironclad Atlanta at Port Jackson,
in the Savannah river, until May, 1863, when he was ordered to
report to Capt. M. F. Maury, at London. He remained abroad
until September, 1864, attached, first to one of the rams intended
for Confederate service and later to the Texas, but his cruise with
that vessel was prevented by her capture as she was about to sail.
Returning, he ran the blockade from Halifax to Wilmington,
N. C, and joined the new Virginia, a powerful ironclad, modeled
after the first of that name, as first lieutenant. This vessel, served
as the flagship of the James river squadron, but there was no op-
portunity for effective service, and, when the naval forces were
subsequently organized for land duty, he was appointed captain


of Company A, naval brigade. With this command, after the
evacuation of Richmond, he joined the army in North Carolina,
at Greensboro, and surrendered with Johnston and was paroled
at Danville, Va. Subsequently Captain Littlepage was engaged in
farming in his native county and later in the commission business
at New York and Baltimore, until 1880, when he went to Wash-
ington as private secretary for Senator Johnson of Virginia. He
afterward served in the same capacity with Senator Call, and, in
1889, \yas appointed to his present position, that of agent for the
collection of naval records in the war department, in which his
prominent service during the war of the Confederacy has peculiarly
fitted him for efficient and valuable activity. He maintains a mem-
bership in the Washington camp of Confederate Veterans.

Charles T. Loehr, of Richmond, Va., a gallant veteran of the
Old Dominion Guards, and very prominent since the war in the
organizations of surviving Confederate soldiers, is a native of Ger-
many, born in Westphalia, August 8, 1842. His residence in Rich-
mond began in 1853 and, early in 1861, he signalized his patriotic
devotion to his adopted State by rendering valuable aid in the
organization of the Old Dominion Guards, one of the gallant vol-
unteer organizations at Richmond. The Guards was assigned to
the First Virginia regiment as Company D, and with its record
as such he was identified during the entire war, with an effi-
ciency that was recognized by promotion to corporal, in February,
1863, and to sergeant in the winter of 1864. Mr. Loehr participated
in twenty well-known battles, besides many skirmishes and minor
engagements. The list includes Bull Run, Manassas, Williams-
burg, Seven Pines, Gaines' Mill, Frayser's Farm, Second Ma-
nassas, South Mountain, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Suflolk,
Gettysburg, Plymouth, Drewry's Bluff, Howlett House, Milford,
Cold Harbor, Clay House, Dinwiddle Court House and Five
Forks. At Gettysburg, on the third day, while in charge of the
skirmish line of his command, he was slightly wounded; at How-
lett House and Cold Harbor was wounded a second and third
time; and at Five Forks became a prisoner of war. He was im-
prisoned at Point Lookout until June 27th, many weeks after the
surrender. On his release he returned to Richmond, and, in the
years that have since intervened, has lived the life of a useful and
respected citizen. For twenty-eight years he has held the impor-
tant position of actuary of the Virginia fire and marine insurance
company. He is also secretary and treasurer of the Virginia
building and loan company. He was one of the organizers of
George E. Pickett camp, Confederate Veterans, and was its first
commander. He was active also in the reorganization of the Old
Dominion Guard, which was effected, August 6, 1896, and was
elected secretary and treasurer.

Colonel Robert H. Logan, a prominent attorney of Salem, Va.,
where he has for twenty years served as city attorney, was born
at that city in 1839. In 1857 he was appointed to the United States
military academy and continued his studies there until April, 1861,
when he resigned his cadetship and returned home to offer his
services to Virginia, in the crisis then at hand. He was commis-
sioned second lieutenant ' and assigned to duty at Lynchburg as
drill-master, for a few months, then being appointed adjutant of


the Forty-second Virginia infantry. In December, 1861, he was
promoted first lieutenant and assigned to the staff of Gen. John
B. Floyd, with whom he served through West Virginia and Ken-
tucky, and in the defense of Fort Donelson, where he was in
command of the artillery. Here he had his horse shot under him
and was slightly wounded, and, after the capitulation, was taken
with pneumonia, a disease by which he was so prostrated as to be
unfit for duty until the fall of 1862. He was then assigned to the
command of a battery of horse artillery, with which he participated-
in the Kentucky campaign, under Bragg, and with the cavalry
commands of Gen. Joseph Wheeler and General Forrest, taking
part in the raid around Rosecrans' army. He was recommended
for promotion by Generals Wheeler, Hardee and Forrest, and
received the rank of captain. Being transferred to the field of
struggle in Virginia, he served on the staff of Gen. G. C. Wharton
during the campaign through Maryland against Washington, and
the fighting against Sheridan in the valley. Being promoted lieu-
tenant-colonel for gallantry in battle, he received command of the
Forty-fifth Virginia infantry regiment, which he led until the end
of the war, distianding his regiment at Christiansburg just after
the surrender of Lee. In addition to numerous skirmishes and
cavalry affairs, he took part in the fighting at Fort Donelson,
Perryville, Ky., Charleston, Tenn., Chickamauga, New Market,
Va., Second Cold Harbor, Lynchburg, Va., Monocacy, Winchester,
Fisher's Hill, Blue Ridge and Waynesboro. He was wounded
slightly in three engagements, the last time at Waynesboro, where
he was also captured but managed to escape. In another valley
battle he received a slight wound, and at Winchester two horses
were shot under him. The war over, he returned to Salem, and,
taking up the study of law, was admitted to the bar in 1867, be-
ginning a professional career which has since been continued with
much success and honor. In addition to his long service as city
attorney, he has twice held the office of mayor of the city, and, in
1893-94, represented the county in the legislature. The twa
brothers of Colonel Logan were in the Confederate service: James
Logan, lieutenant in the Fourth regiment, Stonewall brigade, wha
was killed at First Manassas; and Addison Logan, who served
from 1863 to the close of the war as lieutenant on the staff of Gen-

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 112 of 153)