Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 113 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 113 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

eral Wharton, and died in 1877.

Lieutenant Lorenzo D. Lorentz, now a citizen of Washington,.
D. C, where he has achieved distinction as a business man, was
born in Upshur county, near the town of Buckhannon, in 1834.
In this locality, then a part of Virginia, but since included in the
new State of West Virginia, he resided until he had reached the
age of seventeen years, when he sought his fortune in Baltimore,
Md., where he entered mercantile life as a salesman for the house
of Lanier Bros. & Co. While thus engaged, in the ante-
bellum days, he was happily married, in 1854, to Libbie Burr,
daughter of John J. Burr. A few years later she died, leaving a
daughter, Libbie, now the wife of A. A. Simpson, of Buckhannon,
W. Va. After the war broke out, Mr. Lorentz returned to his old
home, where, his sentiments being known to favor the South, he
had the misfortune to be seized by Federal authority and held as
a prisoner of war about nine months, on suspicion of obtaining


information for the Confederate cause. When released from this
tedious detention, he went to Staunton, Va., late in 1862, and, in
co-operation with others, formed an artillery company, of which
he was elected first lieutenant. This was known as Lurty's bat-
tery and was assigned to the brigade of Gen. William L. Jackson..
With this command he served two years, participating in the cam-
paigns in the valley, mainly, and rendering effective aid to the
movements which kept the valley for so long a time from thei
hands of the Federals. Among other fights in which he took
part, may be mentioned Warm Spring Mountain, Winchester
(1863), Lynchburg, Droop Mountain, near Charleston, after the
campaign against Washington in 1864. During the action at
Beverly, Randolph county, in the fall of 1864, he fell wounded by
three bullets, which struck him almost simultaneously, and after
that saw no more active service in the field, though he was destined
to represent the Confederate cause in a less welcome capacity for
a long time after the surrender of Lee. He was taken prisoner
at Beverly, and, after lying in hospital at Grafton until he was
able to be moved, was taken to Camp Chase, Ohio, and there held
in the prison camp for six months. The remainder of his de-
tention, until June, 1865, was spent at Fort Delaware. After his
release Lieutenant Lorentz spent a few weeks at Baltimore and
then removed to Allegheny Springs, Va., and engaged in the lum-
ber business for three years. He subsequently resided at Christ-
iansburg, Va., until 1889, following the mercantile trade and rail-
road contracting, after which he made his home at Washington.
There he has met with a gratifying degree of success as a real
estate broker and promoter of various business enterprises. In
1866 Mr. Lorentz was married to Emma L. Wade, daughter of
the late John Wade, of Montgomery county, Va.

John F. Lotzia, now an influential citizen of Suflolk, achieved
before he had reached the age of twenty-one years the record of a
gallant veteran in the ranks of the Sixteenth Virginia regiment
He was born at Suffolk, December 16, 1844, and was orphaned
during infancy by the death of his father, John F. Lotzia. In the
spring of 1862 he enlisted as a private in Company A of the Six-
teenth regiment, just before the abandonment of Norfolk, after
which he accompanied the regiment to Gordonsville and Char-
lottesville, and then returned to Richmond in time to take part in
the Seven Days' campaign and fight at Malvern Hill, as a part
of Mahone's brigade. After being stationed for a short time at
Drewry's bluflf, he joined in the northward movement of Long-
street's corps and went into the battle of Second Manassas, where
his regiment lost heavily. Colonel Crump being killed and the
first lieutenant of Company A mortally wounded, and all the staff
officers wounded. During the Maryland campaign it was the duty
of his regiment and brigade to check Franklin's corps of the
Federal army at Crampton's Gap until Jackson could capture
Harper's Ferry. History records with what great fortitude and
sublime courage they performed this duty, inflicting tremendous
loss upon the enemy, said to be equal to the numbers of the regi-
ment in the fight. At last overpowered and surrounded, nearly
all of his regiment were taken prisoners, himself among them.
After a confinement at Fort Delaware, he was exchanged in time


to participate in the battle of Fredericksburg. In the following
spring he fought at Chancellorsville, where his brigade opened
the battle; and in June and July he participated in the Pennsylvania
campaign and the battle of Gettysburg. On the second day of
the fighting in the Wilderness he was in the gallant attack of Ma-
hone's command which rolled up the Federal flank and would
doubtless have resulted in disaster to the Federal army had not
General Longstreet fallen at the critical moment from the fire of
his own men. At Spottsylvania he was in severe battle for two
days, on the second day participating in a gallant charge, in the
face of a destructive fire, which wrested from the enemy several
lines of breastworks. In this action two men were detailed from
each company to form an attacking party, and Mr. Lotzia was
one of these volunteers who faced death in a reckless assault upon
the enemy's fortifications. He went through the bloody battle of
Cold Harbor and subsequently participated in the almost inces-
sant fighting about Petersburg until the evacuation. In the battle
of Wilcox's Farm he was severely hurt by a bullet striking his
belt, but he remained on the field, though he was afterward for
thirty days unfit for duty, but remained with the command. He
fought in the trenches, took part in the battle of the Crater, where
thirteen of his company fell out of twenty-four, and was in the
engagements at Reams' Station, Burgess' Mill and Hatcher's Run.
As the war drew to a close his division took the place of Pickett's
division at Bermuda Hundred, and thence withdrew to Appo-
mattox, where he surrendered with his regiment. Returning at
once to the livelihood he had abandoned to enter the army, he
soon afterward established himself at Sufifolk as a merchant tailor,
in which he has since been quite successful. He has served as
member of the city council, as overseer of the poor for three years,
as chief of the fire department six years, and now holds the office
of city treasurer. He is also a prominent worker in the Masonic
and Pythian orders, and is adjutant of Tom Smith camp, U. C. V.
In 1868 he was married to Miss Eudora C. Jones, of Suffolk, and
they have three children living: Mabel J., wife of C. B. Leet, of
New York; Lottie B., wife of Joseph Crocker, of Suffolk, and
John F. Jr. , ■

James M. Love, a distinguished attorney of Fairfax, Va., was
born in Fairfax county in December, 1843. He was still in his
youth when the exciting events of i860 and 1861 absorbed the
attention of the country, and was attending the Virginia military
institute at the outbreak of hostilities. In the spring of 1862 he
•enlisted in the Black Horse troop, which became Company H of
the Fourth Virginia cavalry. With this gallant command he served
as a private and participated in the celebrated raid, made under
command of J. E. B. Stuart, around McClellan's army in 1862, and
subsequently in all the campaigns and battles of Fitzhugh Lee's
cavalry, until, in the spring of 1864, he was wounded severely,
causing the loss of an arm. Notwithstanding his injury, he re-
ported to duty at as early a date as possible, and was assigned to
the commissary department in Gen. Fitzhugh Lee's brigade. In
this capacity he served faithfully and efficiently until the close of
the war. Near the time of the surrender he was captured, in
Fauquier county, and brought to Fairfax Court House, where he


was paroled. When peace was restored he began the study of law
with his father, Hon, Thomas R. Love, who was for many years a
prominent lawyer at Fairfax and at one time represented the
county in the State legislature. A few years later he was admitted
to the bar, and in 1870 was appointed commonwealth's attorney,
an office which he held, through successive re-elections, during,
the subsequent twenty-seven years, only relinquishing it, in May,
1897, to accept appointment as judge of Alexander and Fairfax
counties. He is a member of the board of visitors of the Virginia
military institute and in various other ways is associated with
deserving public interests. Of Marr camp of Confederate Veterans
he is a past commander, having succeeded in that rank its first
commander, Gen. W. H. F. Lee. In 1873 he was married to
Miss Weaver, of Washington, a grand-niece of President Buchanan,
who died in 1880, leaving four children. Two brothers of Judge
Love served in the Confederate cause, one of whom, Robert T.,
was killed in the battle of Seven Pines; and the other, Thomas R.
Jr., survived the war, but was, at the close, a prisoner ■ at Fort

Thomas Lowery, of Ocean View, Va., a veteran of the Norfolk
Light Infantry, entered the service in 1861, being then about four-
teen years of age, as drummer boy of his company, which was
organized promptly upon the secession of Virginia, under Capt.
John R. Ludlow. The organization was assigned to the Sixth
regiment, Mahone's brigade, as Company D, and served faith-
fully throughout the four years' struggle. This service was shared
from beginning to close by Musician Lowery. He was stationed
with his command in the vicinity of Norfolk during 1861, and at
Great Bridge early in 1862, and later was transferred to Chaffin's
bluff. The first considerable battle was Oak Grove, opening the
Seven Days' fighting, on the last day of which, at Malvern Hill,
the regiment suffered severely. Then followed the battles of Second
Manassas, Crampton's Gap, and the bloody engagement at Sharps-
burg, where the regiment, reduced almost to the dimensions of a
company, fought with distinction in repelling the last Federal
attack on the left. There were few of the company left after that
battle, but a season of recruiting followed, and other great battles
were added to their roll, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettys-
burg, Bristoe Station, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House,
Cold Harbor. Mr. Lowery was with his command on the Peters-
burg lines, took part in the gallant fight which followed the famous
and fiery blow-up at Elliott's salient, was in several minor skir-
mishes during 1864, in the spring of 1865 fought at Hatcher's
Run, and during the withdrawal from Petersburg up to Appomat-
tox, where he surrendered with the remnants of his company. On
his return home he served an apprenticeship as a ship's smith,
and was so erhployed until he was appointed custom house in-
spector, a position he held eight years under the administration
of Grant. He has since held the office of boarding officer four
years in the customs service, and was high constable of Norfolk
in 1882-84. In 1896 he removed to Ocean View to accept an im-
portant position in the management of that resort. Mr. Lowery
was born at Norfolk in 1846, the son of Thomas Lowery, who was
engaged in business as a contractor until 1855, when he was a
victim of the yellow fever epidemic.


Lieutenant Arthur L. Lumsden, a well-known and responsible
business man of Richmond, was born at Petersburg, Va., in 1842,
where he was reared and educated. In i860 he made his home at
Richmond and there entered the Confederate service. The Vir-
ginia Life Guards were organized in January, 1861, under Capt.
John Stewart Walker, and the commission was issued by Gov-
ernor Letcher, February 9th. Of this company Lumsden became
a member, with the rank of sergeant, on May 14, 1861. On May
21, 1861, he went with his command to Camp Lee and was as-
sign;ed to the Third Virginia regiment of infantry, under com-
mand of Col. Thomas P. August. On the 24th of May he
left, with his regiment, for the peninsula, and from that time
until Appomattox fought gallantly through all the campaigns, his
bravery and coolness in action leading to continual promotion.
After July 10, 1863, he held the rank of second lieutenant, and
soon afterward was promoted adjutant of the regiment. At
Sailor's Creek he commanded the regiment. He participated in
the initial battle at Big Bethel, and, subsequently, at Lee's Mill,
Dam No. 2, Williamsburg, Cold Harbor, Mechanicsville, Gaines'
Mill, Frayser's Farm, Malvern Hill, Cedar Mountain, Bachelors'
Creek, N. C, Fort Craig, N. C, New Bern, N. C, Drewry's Blufif,
Fort Harrison, Ashland, Chester Gap, the recapture of Howlett
House, Five Forks, Sailor's Creek, and Appomattox, and was in
Tennessee with Ransom's division. After being paroled at Appo-
mattox, he returned to Richmond and embarked in the jewelry
trade, which he abandoned in 1872 to conduct a grocery and com-
mission business at Petersburg. In 1881 he returned to Richmond
and soon afterward again engaged in the jewelry business, in which
he has continued with much success, being now associated with
his brother as successors to his father. Since the war he has
served conspicuously in the State military forces as aide-de-camp
on the staff of Gen. A. L. Phillips. He is a member of the George
E. Pickett camp. Confederate Veterans.

Captain Warren Seymour Lurty, now a prominent attorney at
Harrisonburg, Va., is a native of Clarksburg and a cousin of Gen.
Stonewall Jackson. He entered the Confederate service in the
spring of 1861, at Harper's Ferry, as a private in the Staunton ar-
tillery. Subsequently he became adjutant of the Nineteenth Vir-
ginia cavalry regiment and was promoted adjutant-general on the
staff of Gen. William L. Jackson. He held for some time the rank
of captain of Lurty's battery and served as such on the Petersburg
lines. Upon the fall of Major Jackson, of Tennessee, he was
promoted, as senior captain, to the command of the artillery bat-
talion, and two hours later was captured by Custer's division.
From that time until June 17, 1865, he was confined as a prisoner
of war at Fort Delaware. Resuming the practice of law, he was
appointed by President Grant United States attorney, the duties
of which office he performed with ability for a period of ten years.
He also served for a time as the first United States marshal for
Oklahoma, resigning that position to return to his Virginia home.

William L. Lushbaugh, of Staunton, Va., is a native of that
city, born September 29, 1829. His grandfather was a native of
Germany. His father, Adam Lushbaugh, was born in Staunton
in 1799 and died there in 1879. Mr. Lushbaugh was reared and


educated at Staunton and had reached his thirty-second year when
the war broke out. He entered the service as a private in the
Staunton artillery, on the night before the battle of Manassas,
July 21, 1861, which he witnessed under fire, though not yet mus-
tered into the service. He served with this artillery command for
one year, participating in the actions at Little West Point, on the
York river, and at Piedmont, and was subsequently put upon de-
tailed service and sent to Staunton, Va., where he was engaged in
the employment of the Confederate States government, in the
manufacture of shoe pegs, until the government ceased to be
through the arbitrament of war. At the end he was paroled at
Staunton and resumed the civil occupations which he had aban-
doned four years before at the call of his State. He engaged in
contracting and building, and continued in this occupation until
1890, meeting with notable success, financially, in his enterprises,
and taking rank with the substantial and influential men of the

Richard D. Luttrell, of Culpeper, who returned from Appo-
mattox a veteran of Stuart's cavalry at the age of eighteen years,
was born in Culpeper county, January 13, 1847. He came of patri-
otic ancestry, his grandfather having been a soldier of the Revo-
lution and his father a participant in the war of 1812. His half-
brother, John M. Monroe, was a member of Company C, Forty-
ninth Virginia infantry, and died from a wound received at Seven
Pines. Mr. Luttrell left his studies at the Jeffersonton academy to
enlist, March 9, 1862, in Company D of the Fourth Virginia
cavalry. He was then but fifteen years of age, but, in the three
years' fighting which followed, he did the full duty of a soldier,
such as rode with Fitzhugh Lee, Stuart and Hampton through the
contested territory of Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania. On
May 9, 1862, he was wounded while fighting in the rear guard, on
the retreat from Yorktown, and was disabled until the following
September. After that he participated in all the engagements of
Fitzhugh Lee's brigade until the end. He did not participate in
the surrender at Appomattox, but left camp the night before and
returned to his home, where he subsequently took the usual oath
of allegiance. After teaching school for a time, he engaged in
commercial, clerical and farming pursuits, to which his energies
have been principally devoted since then. In 1893 be was ap-
pointed deputy clerk of Culpeper county. He is a member of
A. P. Hill camp, Confederate Veterans, at Culpeper, and has held
the office of adjutant. On January 16, 1873, he was married to
Miss Annie E. Newman, of Fauquier county.

Frank Lynch, of Montgomery, Ala., served with honor upon
the stafT of Gen. Joseph Wheeler during the war of the Confed-
eracy, his father. Commodore William F. Lynch, serving illus-
triously in that cause at sea. His grandfather, John Shaw, at one
time held the rank of commodore in the United States navy, and
the family is one of the oldest in Alabama. His wife, Mary Knox
Buford, was the daughter of William K. Buford, a prominent
lawyer of that State. Dr. Junius F. Lynch, son of Frank Lynch,
was born December 2, 1865, in Alabama, and was educated at
Richmond, Va., being graduated from the medical college of Vir-
ginia in 1888. Going at once to Chattanooga, to embark in the


practice, he was appointed quarantine commissioner of the State
of Tennessee during the epidemic of that year. In 1889 he ac-
cepted the position of assistant chief surgeon of the Plant system
of railroads, having charge of the Plant system hospital, which
position he held until his removal to Norfolk, Va., in 1896. He
is a member of the Norfolk medical society, of the State profes-
sional societies of Virginia and Florida, and is president of the
Seaboard medical association of Virginia and North Carolina.
He was married in December, 1891, to Miss Lucy Kemper, daughter
of James L. Kemper, ex-governor of Virginia.

Captain William B. Lynch, a well-known journalist of Leesburg,
and a veteran of Pickett's division, was born in Frederick county,
Md., December 23, 1827. He was reared in his native State, and
in iSSP removed to Virginia and made his home at Leesburg,
where, in the following year, he took charge of "The Washing-
tonian" newspaper. This journal he conducted successfully until
the beginning of the war of the Confederacy. He then abandoned
his business and enlisted in the Virginia forces with the rank cf
lieutenant. In this rank he served until the reorganization of the
army in the spring of 1862, when he was promoted captain of his
company, the rank in which he served during the remainder of the
war. As a member of Corse's brigade of Pickett's division of the
army of Northern Virginia, he participated, with very few excep-
tions, in all the engagements of that command, whose record em-
braced much arduous service, and gallant action on many famous
fields. While on the skirmish line, when Lee was following Grant's
army on to James river, he received a gunshot wound in thei
shoulder. After the end of the war he returned to his home at
Leesburg and resumed the publication of "The Washingtonian,"
which he has conducted throughout all the subsequent period, ex-
erting through this paper a potent and beneficial influence, and
aiding greatly in the development of the city and county. During
the period of the war he also represented his county in the State
legislature. He is a member of Clinton-Hatcher camp, and is a
true comrade of all Confederate veterans.

Captain William F. Lynch, of Virginia, a gallant officer of the
Confederate States navy, was born in Virginia in 1801 and entered
the United States service as a midshipman, January 26, 1819. He
was promoted lieutenant in May, 1828, and subsequently orig-
inated the famous United States expedition to_ the Dead Sea and
River Jordan. He sailed on this enterprise, with the naval store-
ship Supply, in the latter part of 1847, and, after visiting Con-
stantinople to obtain the necessary passports, made an overland
journey on camels to the valley of Jordan, during the year 1848.
A thorough exploration of the famous region was made and the
depression of the Dead Sea below the Mediterranean was deter-
mined with accuracy. The narrative of the expedition, published
by Lieutenant Lynch, became very popular and is regarded as a
standard work. On his return he was promoted commander.
He prepared for an expedition of exploration into Africa, which
was abandoned. In 1856 he was promoted captain, a commission
he resigned in April, 1861, to enter the service of Virginia. He
was first assigned to duty on the Potomac river and coast defenses,
in May he erected the battery at Aquia creek, and in June, 1861,


he was commissioned captain in the Confederate States navy. He
succeeded Commodore Barron in command of the coast defenses
of North Carolina and hoisted his flag on a small passenger
steamer. The six remaining vessels of his force were of the same
flimsy character, but with them he made a heroic stand against
the great Federal fleet accompanying Burnside's expedition, and
fought gallantly against inevitable defeat. In May, 1862, he was
assigned to the command of all the naval forces in western waters.
In the winter of 1864-65 he was assigned the duty of preparing an
account of the service of the Confederate States navy. His death
occurred at Baltimore, October 17, 1865.

Lieutenant Bushrod W. Lynn, a survivor of the First Virginia
cavalry regiment, was born in Loudoun county, Va., in the year
1842. His father was a teacher by profession and was occupied
at various points in Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and Penn-
sylvania, in which latter State the son received his education prin-
cipally. In 1857 his home was again established in Loudoun
county, and he there enlisted in a company which became part of
the First Virginia cavalry, subsequently distinguished for gallant
service under the command of the famous leader, J. E. B. Stuart,
then colonel in rank. His service with this regiment began July
9, 1861, and he soon afterward participated with his regiment, as
a part of the army of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston, in the battle of
Manassas of July 21, 1861. Here he took part in the spirited
charge which was afterward wrongly credited to the Black Horse
cavalry. In this action his horse was shot and fell upon him,
causing severe injuries, which disabled him for service during
the succeeding two months. On his recovery he rejoined his com-
pany, but, there being only a few men remaining in it, they were
detailed as couriers, his detail being as courier to Gen. Gustavus
W. Smith, who commanded the Second division of the army under
Johnston, and the left wing at the battle of Seven Pines. In this
important engagement Lynn participated, also in the aflfair at
Neuse River Bridge, N. C, and continued as courier until General
Smith's resignation, in February, 1863, when he was appointed
ordnance-sergeant and assigned to duty at Richmond. In July,
1863, he was made assistant inspector in the laboratory at Rich-
mond, with the rank of lieutenant, a position which he held until
the close of the war. Though entitled to a commission as captain,
he failed to receive the commission during the confusion of the
final period. After his parole at Winchester, he returned to
Loudoun county and engaged in farming until 1891, when, having
attained prominence and a wide influence in political affairs, he
was elected to the position of _ superintendent of the State peni-
tentiary. Since then he has discharged the duties of that office
with his residence at Richmond. He is a member of both the
Clinton-Hatcher camp at Leesburg and the R. E. Lee camp, of

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 113 of 153)