Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 114 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 114 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Confederate Veterans, at Richmond. In 1863 he was married to
Frances H., daughter of the Iqte Russell W. Allen, of Richmond,
and they now have five sons and two daughters living.

Captain William McAnge, a native of South Carolina, was dis-
tinguished in the service of that State during the Confederate war.
Previous to 1861 he had been extensively engaged in the turpentine
trade, had laid the foundation for amassing considerable wealth


and was esteemed as a prominent and enterprising citizen, but, at
the call of his State, he abandoned his material interests, and, as
the captain of a company in the Tenth South Carolina regiment,
went into the war for Southern independence. His career was a
gallant and heroic one until it was terminated by death near Holly
Springs, Miss., where he fell in battle. William N. McAnge, the
only son of the above, was born in South Carolina in 1858, and
was educated in the schools of that State. In 1880 he moved to
Suffolk, Va., and, inheriting the remarkable business abilities of
his father, embarked in the lumber business, at the age of nineteen
years, and from that went into the culture and sale of oysters, in
which his success is widely known throughout the United States.
The business which he now controls was established before the
war. He took possession in 1880, and has been gradually extend-
ing the business and the scope of shipments, until he now has oys-
ter beds covering from 27s to 300 acres in Nansemond river and
Chesapeake bay, Va., Maurice river, N. J., and the sounds of
North Carolina, and he ships more fresh oysters to the South and
West, through the great territory between Chicago and New Or-
leans, than any other man in the States. His headquarters are at
Suffolk, and he keeps constantly engaged a fleet of his own oyster
boats, operating with such system and regularity that it is very
seldom an oyster remains in his packing house over a day. He is
also one of the extensive oyster planters on the coast. But this
business, notwithstanding the vastness of its development, does
not absorb his entire attention. He is also interested in the Nanse-
mond truck package company, and is heavily interested in the
manufacture of fertilizers for peanuts, selling about two thousand
•tons annually. Another very important enterprise, into which he
ventured in 1894, is the telephone business. He is the founder of
the Independent telephone system in southeastern Virginia, first
establishing a local exchange at Suffolk, and thence connect-
ing with Norfolk, Portsmouth, Berkley, Ocean View, Old Point,
Hampton, Newport News, Franklin, Courtland, and many minor
points. Of this independent system he is general manager and
represents a controlling interest in the company's stock. Mr.
McAnge is also a half owner of the Marine railway, recently com-
pleted at Suffolk, where light crafts are constructed and repaired.
His varied interests and progressive spirit make him a worthy
■scion of a Confederate veteran, one among the active business
men of tidewater Virginia. Declining all positions of official trust,
save to serve as city councilman for a number of years, he has
•given his talent and energy toward the furtherance of the interests
with which he is now identified. He was married, in 1879, to Cora
A., daughter of Thomas Riddick, a prominent North Carolinian,
-to which marriage there were born two children, Louise Kipling
and William N., now fifteen and seventeen years of age, respect-

James W. McCarrick, a prominent citizen of Norfolk and general
Southern agent of the Clyde steamship company, was born in
Norfolk, June 22, 1843. His father, Patrick McCarrick, who came
to America from Ireland when a boy, had a notable record in the
service of the Confederate States. He served as lieutenant in the
North Carolina navy and was subsequently commissioned lieu-


tenant in the Confederate navy. He commanded the steamer Sea
Bird, flagship of Commodore Lynch, when that vessel was sunk
at Elizabeth City, N. J., and, with the entire crew, was captured
by Federal Admiral Rowan. After being exchanged he was de-
tailed as one of the officers of the Canadian expedition for the
relief of the prisoners at Johnson's island, and, upon the failure of
that enterprise through betrayal he ran the blockade with the
celebrated Capt. John Wilkinson. Upon the request of the latter,
Lieutenant McCarrick was detailed for several trips, after which
he served at Wilmington and other points until the close of the
war. Subsequently he served with the Old Dominion steamship
company, in command of several of its vessels, until his death.
James W. McCarrick was educated at Mount St. Mary's college
and Georgetown college, leaving the latter institution early in
1861 to enlist with the Norfolk Juniors of the Twelfth Virginia
regiment, commanded by Gen. William Mahone. He was one of
twenty-five volunteers from that company who manned one of
the guns which repelled the attack of the Federal steamer Monti-
cello upon the Confederate batteries at Sewell's Point. At this
fight he recalls that it was with difficulty that they prevented some
men of Colquitt's Georgia command, in their anxiety for trophies
of the war, from gathering unexploded shells as they fell. Soon
afterward receiving an appointment as master's mate in the North
Carolina navy, he was assigned to the steamer Winslow at Hatteras
inlet, and participated in the capture of merchant vessels along
the coast of North Carolina. After being transferred to the Con-
federate navy his first action was upon the Sea Bird under Com-
modore Lynch, in cutting out a Federal schooner from under the
guns of the Federal fleet in Hampton Roads, and successfully
bringing her into Norfolk, though pursued by four Federal gun-
boats. Still with the Sea Bird, he participated in the actions at
Roanoke island, where a few improvised gunboats held Burn-
side's fleet in check all day. He had charge here of a small Parrott
gun taken from the Federal gunboat Fanny. In the subsequent
engagement at Elizabeth City, he was wounded and captured on
the sunken steamer 'Sea Bird, by Captain Flusser, of the Federal
fleet, and while being hospitably entertained by the Federal
officers, was shown the base of a rifled shell from his Parrott gun,
which had disabled one gunboat and afterward done damage on
the boat on which he was held as a prisoner. This fragment he was
permitted to carry away, and still has in his possession. Subse-
quently, when with the Tuscaloosa, he met the English captain
who commanded the Federal vessel from which the Parrott gun
was captured, but that versatile sailor was then engaged in running
the Federal blockades. Being paroled under the "Wool cartel,"
he returned to Norfolk, and from the naval hospital witnessed the
Virginia or Merrimac, going down to the attack upon the Cum-
berland and Congress, attended by a number of small gunboats.
Upon one of these was his friend. Midshipman Charles Mallory,
whom McCarrick hailed and begged that he bring back a Federal
officer for whom he might be exchanged. It happened that Mr.
Mallory was one of the officers detailed to remove the prisoners
from the Congress, and he did bring back an officer in safety,
for whom McCarrick was exchanged later. He was then pro-
Va 84


moted master, and assigned to the navy yard at Selma, Ala., and
subsequently attached to the ironclad Tuscaloosa, in Mobile bay.
Thence he was sent by Admiral Buchanan to Jackson Miss., to
receive some guns which had been captured by Gen. Wirt Adams
on the Big Black river. Though cut off by the first Mississippi
raid of Sherman's troops, he managed later to bring the guns in
safety. He was then sent with orders from the secretary of war
to select men for the Mobile fleet from the commands of Generals
Loring and Pope, at Demopolis, Ala. During his visit a lexas
and a Mississippi command engaged in a mock battle with pine
burrs, in emulation of their Virginia comrades who fought with
snowballs, and some of his best men were selected from the scarred
heroes of this novel encounter. During the naval operations m
Mobile bay he was on the steamer Baltic in charge of the forward
division, at the outset of Admiral Buchanan's movement, and
was subsequently ordered to the flagship Tennessee, but being
taken sick was sent on shore to hospital just in time to escape the
capture of the Tennessee by Farragut. After his recovery he
served upon the gunboat Macon, guarding the ferries of the Sa-
vannah river against Sherman's advance. In this service he par-
ticipated in several encounters with troops and light batteries.
The Macon finally attempted to run down to Savannah, to support
the right of General Hardee's army, but was driven back by Fed-
eral batteries at Oak Grove, the Resolute, one of the tenders,
being disabled and left behind. To rescue this vessel McCarnck
with a small party started back in an open boat but were com-
pelled by firing from the Georgia side to land on the Carolina
shore driving off a number of foragers of "bummers. McCar-
rick's party found it necessary to seek shelter behind the dykes of
a rice field, when they were astounded to see one of the Resolute s
boats coming up the river manned by Federals. To prevent their
being cut off, McCarrick's little party bravely opened fire on the
boat, with success, and when nightfall arrived the Confederates
made their way back in safety, taking with them three "bummer"
prisoners they had captured. About this time an unprecedented
freshet filled the river, and the news arriving of the fall of Sa-
vannah, the Macon was run up the river to Augusta, where it was
then possible to navigate the streets in boats. Here the ship re-
mained until the end of war. Mr. McCarrick was detailed to com-
mand of a battery at Shell bluff, forty miles below Augusta, where
he remained until the close of hostilities. Then, on receiving ad-
vices of the general surrender he and Lieutenant Comstock, chief
engineer George W. City, and Major Brewer, of the quartermaster's
department, with two of the crew, went down the river in a boat,
reaching Savannah after an adventurous trip, whence they pro-
ceeded to Macon for parole. He then returned to Norfolk, and
soon became agent of the Old Dominion steamship company at
Portsmouth, and afterward general claim agent of the Atlantic
coast line and Seaboard air line and their water connections, which
positions he resigned in 1875 to assume the position he now oc-
cupies. He is a member of the Pickett-Buchanan camp, and a
faithful friend of the survivors of the Confederate armies and navy.
Lieutenant Daniel S. McCarthy, of Richmond, one of the gal-
lant veterans of the Richmond Howitzers, was born in that city in


the year 1842. When a youth of nineteen years, he enlisted in
April, 1861, with one of the companies of Richmond Howitzers and
served faithfully and gallantly with that command until the last
shot was fired. Soon after the battle of Cold Harbor his efficiency
and intrepid conduct won for him promotion to the rank of junior
first lieutenant. After being paroled at Richmond, after the sur-
render, he returned to the duties of private life. He is held in
high esteem by his former comrades of the army of Northern

William H. McCarthy, a citizen of Richmond, highly esteemed
for his worth as a man and his honorable service in the army of
Northern Virginia, was born in that city in the year 1842. He
was there reared and educated and, in April, 1861, as soon as the
State called her loyal sons to her defense, he enlisted as a private
in the Second Richmond Howitzers. With this famous artillery
command he served throughout the entire war, winning promo-
tion to the rank of corporal. He took part in the first repulse of
the Federal invaders at Big Bethel, on the peninsula, and subse-
quently participated in all the important actions of his command,
which won its laurels upon some' of the most famous and desper-
ately contested battlefields of the war. He fought with honor at
Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, the
Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, Petersburg, Sailor's
Creek, and finally at Appomattox, where he was surrendered and
paroled with the army whose glory and hardships he had so long
shared. At the close of this devoted and highly meritorious serv-
ice, he returned to the duties of civil life, and since then has
rounded out a life so honorably begun by a successful business
career. He still cherishes the old army, and the cause for which
it fought, and is a valued member of the R. E. Lee camp. Confed-
erate Veterans, and of the Howitzer association.

Lieutenant Robert McChesney, a member of a prominent family
of Rockbridge county, was one of the first martyrs of the war and
perhaps the first Virginia soldier killed in combat. He was a
native of Brownsburg, and, previous to secession, was a lieutenant
of the cavalry company of Capt. J. R. McNutt, attached to the
One Hundredth and Forty-fourth Virginia militia regiment. His
company was one of the first called into service, in 1861, and was
sent across the mountains to operate with General Garnett's com-
mand in Barbour and Tucker counties. He was ordered, on June
29th, with a scouting party of ten men, into Tucker county, to
break up an election to be held under Federal protection, but,
when near his destination, received such advices of the strength of
the enemy as to persuade him to turn back. At this moment the
Yankees developed from an ambush in his rear and opened fire.
Lieutenant McChesney gallantly determined to cut his way out
and all of his party but two escaped. He was, unfortunately, killed
upon the spot. His body was tenderly cared for by the friends of
the Confederacy in that region, and, after the close of hostilities.
Colonel Irvine, who commanded the Federal party, sent the dead
hero's sword and persona! eflects to his brother, J. Z. McChesney,
with a letter expressing his admiration of the bravery of his former
enemy. He was twenty-nine years old when he fell and had al-
ready manifested soldierly qualities which promised a brilliant


career. James Z. McChesney, a brother of the foregoing, was
born in Rockbridge county, in 1843. After attending one session
of Washington college he entered the Virginia military institute
in January, 1862, and, in May following, accompanied the corps
of cadets to the battlefield of McDowell, where they participated
in the fight, attached to the Stonewall brigade. Returning to the
institute, he left there in July and, just before the second battle
of Manassas, enlisted as a private in the Seventeenth battalion of
Virginia cavalry, afterward the Eleventh cavalry regiment, Rosser's
brigade. In August, 1863, he was transferred to the Fourteenth
Virginia cavalry, in the brigade of Gen. A. G. Jenkins. Among
the battles in which he participated in the course of his military
career were. Second Manassas, Gettysburg, Monocacy, the skir-
mish before Washington, D. C, Hagerstown, Brandy Station,
Moorefield, Fairmount, Petersburg, North Mountain Station, and
the operations against the Lynchburg raid of Hunter. With the
latter engagements was begun a period of constant fighting, which
lasted until October, 1864, when, in an exhausted condition, he
was seized with typhoid fever, which put an end to his service.
In the summer of 1865 he was paroled at Staunton, and then re-
turned to his home in Rockbridge county and was engaged in
farming until his removal to Charleston, W. Va., in 1869.

Tazewell M. McCorkle, since 1891 pastor of the Third Presby-
terian church at Lynchburg, served with credit as third lieutenant
in Hampden-Sidney Boys, and afterward as private in First Rock-
bridge artillery, Confederate army. He was born at Lynchburg,
June S, 1837, and was reared at that city and educated at the
Washington-Lee and Hampden-Sidney colleges. In May, 1861,
he left college with the students to enter the Confederate ser-
vice, their company being assigned to the Twentieth Virginia
infantry regiment, as Company G. With this command he served
in the West Virginia campaign of 1861, under General Garnett
and Colonel Pegram, until he was captured at Rich Mountain,
early in July. He was held as a prisoner in the barracks at that
post two or three weeks and then paroled. During the period of
his parole he entered the Union theological seminary in Prince
Edward county and studied in preparation for the ministry until
the spring of 1863, when, having been regularly exchanged, he
re-entered the Confederate ranks as a private in the First Rock-
bridge artillery, the old company of Gen. Stonewall Jackson. In
this command he served until the close of the war, participating
in the fighting of his battery, including the battles of the Wilder-
ness, Spottsylvania, Second Cold Harbor, Tilghman's Gate (where
their guns were captured), and Fort Harrison. He was subse-
quently sent to Farmville with a detail of sick soldiers, and, when
the army was surrendered, was on duty at Rough Creek, Charlotte
county. Upon the close of hostilities he made his home at Lynch-
burg, and, after farming for a time in Roanoke county, he entered
the Presbyterian ministry. _ In this work his ability and zealous
devotion are widely recognized and he enjoys the love and esteem
of his people.

Captain William N. McDonald, during life a distinguished edu-
cator, was born in Hampshire county, now within the limits of
West Virginia, February 3, 1834. He is a son of Col. Angus Mc-


Donald, distinguished in the early organization of Confederate
forces in the lower Shenandoah valley, who raised the regiment
which was the nucleus of Ashby's cavalry command. Five other
sons of Colonel McDonald, as well as two sons-in-law, entered
the Confederate service. Few families were more distinguished
and none more thoroughly devoted to the cause of Southern in-
dependence. In the quiet years preceding the great war, Captain
McDonald was educated at the university of Virginia, taking the
master's degree, after which he accepted the position of professor
of rhetoric and principal of the high " school at Louisville, Ky.
That position he subsequently resigned to enter upon the practice
of law at Charlestown, Jefierson county, which was his occupation
when the swift current of events in 1861 swept the Old Dominion
into the great Confederacy of the South. He enlisted on April 19,
1861, as a private in a company which became Company G of
the Second Virginia infantry, and was assigned to the brigade of
Gen. T. J. Jackson, soon to become famous as "Stonewall" through
the firm stand made by his men under his command at the battle
of Manassas. Private McDonald took part in that engagement
and continued with the Second regiment a year, after which he
was transferred to the engineer corps, with the rank of second
lieutenant. Soon afterward resigning that position, he joined
Company D of the Eleventh Virginia cavalry, a command with
which he served one year, participating in the cavalry operations
under Gen. Turner Ashby in the valley and the battles of Slaughter
Mountain and Sharpsburg. He was then promoted captain of
artillery and assigned to ordnance duty, in which he continued
until the end of the struggle. Subsequent battles in which he par-
ticipated were Gettysburg and the second day's fight in the Wil-
derness, May 6, 1864, when he received a severe wound in the side.
He returned to his profession of teaching after the close of hos-
tilities, and, after conducting a boarding school in Clarke county
three years, was recalled to his former position of superintendent
of the Louisville high school, which he held for four years. This
position he resigned to establish the Rugby school at Louisville,
which he conducted with much success for seventeen years. After
that he was in charge of the Shenandoah university school, estab-
lished by him at Berryville, one of the best preparatory schools
of the State. In conjunction with John S. Blackburn, of Alex-
andria, in 1867, Captain McDonald prepared and subsequently
published a school history of the United States. For two years
he edited the "Southern Bivouac," at Louisville, and at the time
of his death, was engaged in writing a history of Ashby's cavalry.
He was a member of J. E. B. Stuart camp. No. 24, at Berryville.
In 1867 he was married to Miss Catherine S. Gray, of Leesburg,
and they had eight children. The eldest son, William N. Mc-
Donald, Jr., is a civil engineer of the Nashville, Chattanooga &
St. Louis railroad. Captain McDonald died at his home in Berry-
ville in 1897.

George W. R. McDonell, of Portsmouth, Va., a veteran of the
Portsmouth light artillery, is a native of that city, born in 1844.
On April 17, 1861, he enlisted in the Light Artillery, then the
oldest artillery company in Virginia, with a record of gallant
service at the battle of Craney Island in 1812. Under Capt. Cary F.


Grimes, it went into active service April 20, 1861, and during
that night witnessed the burning of the Gosport navy yard. The
company was stationed at Hoffler's creek, protecting the shore
from Craney island to the Nansemond river, until the spring of
1862, when on the 2d of May, having been ordered against the
Federal forces operating from Roanoke island, one section of
the battery defeated two United States gunboats on the Pasquo-
tank river. Soon afterward Norfolk was abandoned and the bat-
tery joined the army of Northern Virginia and was attached to
Anderson's division. Grimes and his men were engaged in the
opening fight of the Seven Days, and at Malvern Hill were con-
spicuous for gallantry, holding their position at close range,
losing heavily in men and horses, fighting about forty Federal
guns behind breastworks. They took part in the fight at Warren-
ton Springs in August, at Second Manassas charged in line with
Mahone's brigade in the final assault which broke the left wing
of Pope's army, and one section of the battery, in which Private
McDonell served, fought with Colonel Parham at Crampton's Gap
against great odds until driven over the mountain. At Sharps-
burg, Captain Grimes was in command of a battalion consisting of
his battery, Huger's and Moorman's and the Norfolk light artil-
lery, and at a critical moment rendered effective assistance in the
defeat of Sumner's corps. In this fight Captain Grimes was struck
from his horse by a rifle ball, wounded through the bowels and
while cared for by his men, one of them was killed, and Grimes
received another ball through the thigh and died in about one
hour. He was a splendid officer and under his daring leadership
his brave men gained the praise of their division commander.
Lieut. John H. Thampson succeeded him, but soon afterward, on
account of the lack of horses, this battery and a number of others,
were disbanded and the members assigned to other commands.
Private McDonell was with the detachment assigned to Moor-
man's battery, Lynchburg artillery, of the horse artillery of Fitz-
hugh Lee's command, and soon afterward, as gunner of a rifle
gun, he was distinguished in the defeat of Federal gunboats on
the Rappahannock river, December 4th. After fighting at Fred-
ericksburg he was detailed for a time as mail carrier, while the army
was in winter quarters at Culpeper Court House. At such times
the army received mail with some regularity, and many letters
from home cheered the hearts of the soldiers. The postage stamps
bearing the face of President Davis, made his appearance familiar
to the whole army. In 1863 Private McDonell fought through
the campaigns including Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and Brandy
Station; from May, 1864, was in the desperate struggle from the
Wilderness to Cold Harbor, then was with Fitzhugh Lee's cavalry
in Early's Valley campaign against Sheridan, and in the spring of
186s was engaged in continuous fighting on the retreat until the
surrender at Appomattox. He escaped with the cavalry, and with
his comrades, leaving their guns at Lynchburg, attempted to unite
with Johnston's army, but was delayed at the Catawba river by
Stoneman's cavalry until after the surrender at Greensboro.
"Throughout the war he was valiant in duty and received honorable
wounds at Malvern Hill, Brandy Station, the Wilderness, and
Petersburg. Since the war Captain McDonell has been for twenty-

^-Vh« CKoovosts.HY

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 114 of 153)