Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 115 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 115 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


//.



L-u..^ Cx^t^




CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1019

five years in the service of the Seaboard air line railroad, and since
1893 he has been superintendent of the Portsmouth street railway.
Hunter Holmes McGuire, M. D., LL. D., one of the most dis-
tinguished surgeons of the South, and prominent in the medical
service of the Confederate States army as chief surgeon of the
Second corps of the army of Northern Virginia, was born at Win-
chester, October 11, 1835. He was the son of the late Hugh H.
McGuire, M. D., in his time one of the most noted physicians of
Virginia. His family has resided in the valley of Virginia since
the coming of his ancestor, Edward McGuire, from Ireland, in
the latter half of the last century. On the maternal side his an-
cestry is also of Irish origin, and in this line was Hunter Holmes,
whose name he bears, who fell in battle at Mackinaw, in 1814, his
gallantry eliciting the presentation of a sword to his family by the
legislature of Virginia. Dr. McGuire devoted himself to the study
of medicine from an early age and was graduated by the Win-
chester medical college in 1855. He continued his studies at the
university of Pennsylvania and Jeflerson medical college at Phila-
delphia, and became professor of anatomy at Winchester medical
college in 1856. Returning to Philadelphia, in 1858, he met with
success as an instructor in surgery until at the time of the John
Brown raid at Harper's Ferry, becoming justly oflfended by the
comments regarding that aflair, he organized a movement which
resulted in all the Southern medical students at Philadelphia, over
three hundred in number, leaving that city and entering the med-
ical college of Virginia. The expenses of this transfer were met
by the city of Richmond, whose people welcomed the students
with a great popular demonstration. On completing his studies
at Richmond, Dr. McGuire returned to Winchester, in i860, and,
in the following year he volunteered as a private in Company F
of the Second Virginia regiment, with which he marched to Har-
per's Ferry. In May he was commissioned surgeon and assigned
to duty as medical director of the department at Harper's Ferry,
then under command of Gen. T. J. Jackson. Upon the organiza-
tion of the Stonewall brigade. Dr. McGuire was assigned to that
command, at Jackson's request, as brigade surgeon, and he con-
tinued on the staff of that famous leader, next as medical director
of the army of the Valley, and finally as chief surgeon of the Second
corps of the army of the Virginia, until Jackson fell at Chancellors-
ville. He ministered to the beloved general in his mortal illness,
and was at his bedside when his heroic spirit passed away. During
this service under Jackson, Dr. McGuire took part in the arduous
but glorious Valley campaign of 1862, the battles before Rich-
mond, the Manassas and Maryland campaigns of 1862 and the
battles of Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. Early in this
career, at the battle of Winchester, he was presented with a sword
by Jackson, as a token of his appreciation, and his service through-
out was such as to justify his selection for important position by
the great leader. Dr. McGuire continued as chief surgeon of the
Second corps under General Ewell, serving in the defeat of Milroy
at Winchester, the battle of Gettysburg and the campaign against
Grant, from the Wilderness and Spottsylvania to Cold Harbor.
Subsequently he acted as medical director of the army of the
Valley under General Early, participating in the movement through



1020 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

Maryland against Washington, and in the battles at Winchester,
Fisher's Hill and Waynesboro. In the latter affair he was cap-
tured, but was immediately paroled for fifteen days and then re-
leased. He then rejoined the Second corps, under General Gor-
don, and served as medical director until Appomattox. His activity
and genius were manifested in various ways for the betterment of
the service during the course of the war. As early as the time of
the battle of Winchester, May, 1862, he released eight Federal
surgeons on the simple pledge that they would use their influence
to secure the release of Confederate surgeons, and, a few weeks
later, all the medical officers held as prisoners, North and South,
were released. As late as February, 1865, he released the medical
director of Sheridan's army, and, in consideration of his action,
he was himself released by Sheridan immediately after the disaster
at Waynesboro. He was the first to organize reserve corps hos-
pitals, and about the same time perfected the ambulance corps,
which rendered efficient service. In the reports of his generals
commanding, his zeal and ability are frequently commended. At
the close of the war Dr. McGuire made his home at Richmond,
having been appointed to the chair of surgery in the medical col-
lege of Virginia. This professorship he resigned in 1878, but, in
1880, accepted the emeritus professorship of surgery, which he still
holds. His practice became extensive and he was honored with
official positions in many professional organizations, State and
National. In 1877 the degree of LL. D. was conferred upon him
by the university of North Carolina and, in the following year, the
honor was repeated by Jefiferson medical college of Philadelphia.
In 1883 he established St. Luke's home for the sick at Richmond,
which has since continued under his management with great suc-
cess.

Lieutenant John P. McGuire, of Richmond, a well-known edu-
cator, was born in Essex county, Va., in 1836. He resided in
that county until he had reached the age of fourteen years, and
then accompanied his parents to Fairfax county, Va., where his
father, Rev. John P. McGuire, a prominent minister and teacher,
took charge of the Episcopal high school of Virginia. He studied
for two years at the university of Virginia, and, returning in 1856,
assisted his father in the work of the school until the outbreak
of the war. After Virginia had united with the Confederacy, he
was appointed to a position in the .war department at Richmond,
which he filled with ability during a period of two and a half
years, at the same time being enrolled among the volunteer local
troops for the defense of the city. In the spring or summer of
1864 he entered the navy with the commission of first lieutenant
and instructor, and was assigned to the schoolship Patrick Henry,
under command of Capt. W. H. Parker. In this capacity he served
until the evacuation of Richmond. Then, with the officers and
crew of the Patrick Henry, and the C. S. midshipmen, armed as
infantry, he acted as special guard of the treasure of the govern-
ment, variously estimated between three and five hundred thou-
sand dollars in specie. This money, several times threatened with
capture and plunder, was safely conveyed from Richmond to
Washington, Ga., and thence back to Abbeville, S. C. because
of certain movements of the enemy. At Abbeville, President Davis



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1021

and certain members of his cabinet passing through, it was sur-
rendered to General Reagan, acting secretary of the treasury,
and by him again taken under guard to Washington, Ga. At that
point the silver coin, by order of President Davis, was paid out
to the remnant of the army which was escorting the president and
cabinet, and the gold was left to be distributed for specified pur-
poses by the acting treasurer of the Confederate States. The safe
guard, safe delivery and honorable distribution of this treasure
have been subjects of gratifying reflection to the officers and men
who had it in charge and to all Confederates. Captain Parker
and his company soon found it necessary to surrender; and, subse-
quently. Lieutenant McGuire returned to Richmond and resumed
the profession of teaching, in which he has since continued. His
school at Richmond ranges from 140 to 160 boys, and is well
known. He ranks among the best academic instructors of the
State.

H. M. Mcllhany, of Staunton, Va., formerly an efficient member
of the stafi of General Longstreet, was born in Loudoun county,
Va., in 1840. In April, i86j, he entered the Confederate service
as a private in the Warrenton Rifles, a volunteer organization
which was enrolled as Company K of the Seventeenth regiment
of Virginia infantry. In July, 1861, he participated in the battles
of Bull Run and Manassas, and, in the same month, was ap-
pointed ordnance quartermaster-sergeant, attached to General
Longstreet's headquarters. He continued to serve in this capacity
until February, 1864, when he was promoted captain and assistant
chief quartermaster of Longstreet's, the First army corps, of the
army of Northern Virginia. In August, 1864, he yielded this posi-
tion to become first sergeant in Company F of the Forty-third
Virginia battalion of cavalry under command of Colonel Mosby.
While with Mosby he participated in many exciting and spirited
affairs until December 21, 1864, when he was captured in Fauquier
county and sent to the Old Capitol prison. In the following Feb-
ruary, after a long regime of condemned beef and pork, he, and
eighty-six others of Mosby's men were handcuflfed, and, guarded
by twenty-eight armed soldiers, were transferred to Fort Warren,
in Boston harbor, where they were held until June 15, 1865. Since
his return to civil life he has been engaged in mercantile pursuits
at various places, including Staunton, where he has resided since

1873.

Captain Robert Dunn Mcllwaine, late of Petersburg, Va., is de-
serving of mention among the gallant soldiers contributed by
Petersburg to the Confederate armies. He was born at that city
in 1828, the son of A. G. Mcllwaine, a native of Ireland, who immi-
grated to America and became a business man of Petersburg, and
married Lucy Atkinson Pryor, daughter of Theodric Pryor, D. D.,
a Presbyterian minister of considerable repute. She was a sister of
Judge Roger Pryor, of New York. Captain Mcllwaine entered
the Confederate service as a private in the Petersburg cavalry. In
1863 he was elected captain of his company, and he served in this
rank until, toward the latter part of the war, his health failed and
he was compelled to retire from active service. The exposure and
arduous service he had undergone wrecked his health, and he died
in 1876. His son, Robert Dunn Mcllwaine, M. D., prominent



1022 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

among the younger physicians of Petersburg, was born in Dinwid-
die county, in 1864, and received his early education at McCabe's
school at Petersburg. Subsequently he pursued professional studies
at the university of Virginia and was graduated in 1885. He passed
the examinations of the State board in 1886, and, having also pur-
sued a course of study in New York, he entered upon the practice
at Petersburg. He is a member of the State and local medical as-
sociations, has made interesting contributions to the medical press,
and is physician to the city almshouse and the State colored school.
In 1887 he was married to Miss Mary Plummer, daughter of Wil-
liam T. Plummer.

Major William Cranch Mclntire, who has been professionally
engaged as a patent attorney at Washington since the war, has an
honorable record of prominent service, both in the army of North-
ern Virginia and the Trans-Mississippi department. He was born
at Washington, in the year 1841, and was reared and educated at
that city. In April, 1861, he made his way to Richmond and en-
listed as a private in the Thirtieth regiment of Virginia infantry.
In that command he served for nine months and was then pro-
moted lieutenant and assigned to duty as aide-de-camp on the staflf
of Brig.-Gen. John G. Walker, who commanded a brigade during
the Peninsular campaign. In this capacity he participated in the
Seven Days' battles and the engagement at Cedar Run, and
then, moving to join the main army in the Maryland campaign on
the staff of the division which General Walker then commanded,
he was promoted captain just before the battle of Sharpsburg. In
this battle he participated and was wounded. Soon afterward he
was ordered to the Trans-Mississippi department, where he re-
ported to Lieut.-Gen. Theophilus H. Holmes, commander of that
department. In a few weeks he resigned, but soon re-entered the
service with the rank of captain and quartermaster, as which he
served at Little Rock until the evacuation of that place, in Septem-
ber, 1863. He was then on duty at Tulton, Ark., establishing an
army repair shop, a few months after which he received orders to
organize the quartermaster-general's bureau for the department, at
Shreveport, La., and was commissioned major by Gen. E. Kirby
Smith, then in command of the department. He served in the
signal defeat of Banks' expedition against Shreveport, at Mans-
field, in the spring of 1864, and was wounded in that engagement.
He was then assigned to the duty of gathering the captured and
abandoned river and land transportation. In discharge of this
order Major Mclntire took a boat and followed the Federal fleet
down the river and seized all the hospital stores from a boat just
below the wing dam, constructed by the Federals for the passage
of their fleet over the rapids. Returning, his boat was the first to
make the passage of the famous dam up the current. Subsequently
he was sent from Shreveport, by General Smith, to convey to
Richmond more than forty battleflags which had been captured
by the Confederate army, also bearing a recommendation for his
promotion on account of gallant and valuable services. On this
journey, when about eight miles from St. Joseph, La., he was cap-
tured by a Federal scouting party, with all his flags and messages,
and sent to New Orleans. He was held at that city as a prisoner of
war until October, when he was sent by sea to Fort Lafayette and



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1023

imprisoned there until in December, 1864, he was released by order
of President Lincoln. After his parole he remained at Washington
and subsequently became engaged in practice before the patent
office, in which he has continued to the present time with pleasing
success.

W. D. McKemy, now a distinguished jurist of Dayton, Ohio, is
a native of Virginia and served that State and its cause with un-
swerving fidelity, in field and camp and prison pen, during the long
war of the Confederacy. Born in Rockbridge county, Va., in 1843,
he passed there his childhood and youth until, at the age of eigh-
teen years, he enlisted, in August, 1861, in the military service. He
became a private in the Twenty-fifth Virginia infantry regiment and
served in that command until he fell into the hands of the enemy
in 1864. He participated first in the operations in West Virginia,
fighting at Cheat Mountain, Allegheny Mountain and McDowell,
after which he was overcome with sickness and was not capacitated
for service until after six or eight months, spent in hospital. On
his recovery he immediately rejoined his command at Gordonsville,
Va., in time to take part in the battle of Cedar Mountain, and
share in the Maryland campaign, fighting at Harper's Ferry and
Sharpsburg. During the Pennsylvania campaign he took part in
the encounter at Chambersburg and the famous three days' struggle
at Gettysburg, and, in the desperate fighting of 1864, did his duty in
the bloody struggles at the Wilderness and Spottsylvania. During
the fighting on the latter field, in May, 1864, he was captured by
Hancock, with a large part of the division of Gen. Edward Johnson,
in which he served. Then began a long and wearisome imprison-
ment, which was not terminated until June 30, 1865, long after all
hostilities had ceased. He was held at Point Lookout, Md., until
December, 1864, and the remainder of his confinement was at El-
mira, N. Y. Upon his release he returned to his Virginia home,
whence, in October, 1866, he removed to Darke county, Ohio.
There he attended school and was graduated at the high school, and
after supporting himself for some time by teaching school, he
removed to Dayton and entered the clerical force at the court
house. In this service he remained for several years, two in the office
of the probate judge, two in the recorder's office, three as deputy
sherifif and three as deputy treasurer of the county of Montgomery,
winning the popular favor in each position, and all this time being
also engaged in reading law and fitting himself for the profession
which he ultimately intended to adopt. In 1878 he was admitted to
the bar, and, in the fall of the same year, was nominated for the
office of probate judge. Defeated by a small majority at that time,
he continued in the law practice and, in 1881, was the successful
candidate for the probate judgeship. Subsequently he was twice re-
elected, serving upon the bench in all nine years. Since leaving that
position he has resumed the practice, in which he has attained high
rank. As a gentleman and an influential citizen, he does honor to
his martial alma mater, the army of Northern Virginia, which he
represents, with others, in that handsome Ohio city.

John McLees, of Williamsburg, a veteran of the Charles City
Gruard. a gallant organization, which shared the historic career of
Pickett's division, army of Northern Virginia, enjoys the distinc-
tion of having been the only officer of the company, either com-



1024 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

missioned or non-commissioned, who was permitted by the for-
tunes of war to serve with the company from enlistment to the end.
He was born in Ireland, June s, 1833, the son of Dennis and Sarah
Jane (Patton) McLees, with whom he came to America in 1837, and
settling first at Brooklyn, removed to Charles City county, Va., in
1852. There his father died in 1872 and his mother in 1878. He
assisted in the organization of the Charles City Southern Guard, in
May, i860, and entered the active service on May 9, 1861, as cor-
poral of this command, which was assigned as Company K to the
Fifty-third Virginia regiment of infantry, of Armistead's brigade,
Pickett's division. His first service was at Jamestown, until Aug-
ust, 1861, then at Mulberry Point until the evacuation of the penin-
sula, when his company was called to Richmond and participated
in the battle of Seven Pines and the Seven Days' battles. Subse-
quently he fought at Second Manassas, Harper's Ferry, Sharps-
burg, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Chester Station and Five Forks,
and every other engagement of Pickett's division, except at
Drewry's Bluff, when he was in hospital at Richmond on account
of wounds received at Gettysburg and Chester Station. After being
wounded at Gettysburg he was captured on the retreat and was held
as a prisoner of war for seven weeks. He was again captured at
Five Forks and was imprisoned at Point Lookout until June 15,
1865. At the time of capture he held the rank of orderly-sergeant
of his company. The killing of the color-sergeant of Mr. McLees'
company, in the charge at Gettysburg, with the colors in his hand,
has been a subject of historical mention, and the name of this hero,
according to Mr. McLees' recollection, is Blackburn. Since the
close of hostilities Mr. McLees has resided in James City county
and, since 1882, at Williamsburg. He is a member of Magruder-
Ewell camp, United Confederate Veterans.

B. F. McLemore, of Courtland, Va., since 1883 clerk of the
county court of Southampton county, rendered efficient service dur-
ing the Confederate war as an officer of Company G, Third Vir-
ginia regiment. He was born in Southampton county in 1843, the
son of James and Mattie M. (Barclay) McLemore. His father,
James McLemore, a farmer and native of Virginia, was the son of
James McLemore, a native of Scotland, who served with the
American troops in the war of 1812. His mother was the daughter
of John Barclay, of North Carolina, a man of much prominence in
his county and a member of the State senate. Mr. McLemore re-
ceived an education in the schools of his county, but abandoned his
studies, in the spring of 1861, and enlisted as third sergeant in Com-
pany G of the Third Virginia regiment. During 1861 he was sta-
tioned with his company in the vicinity of Smithfield and left there
in March, 1862, to reinforce General Magruder at Yorktown. He
participated in the fighting with ■ McClellan's army, including the
battles of Williamsburg, Seven Pines, Mechanicsville, Gaines'
Mill, Savage Station and Frayser's Farm, and then took part in the
Second Manassas campaign, the capture of Harper's Ferry and the
battle of Sharpsburg. At Fredericksburg, in December, 1862, he
participated in the final repulse of Burnside's troops and, in Febru-
ary following, accompanied Longstreet's corps to southeastern Vir-
ginia and North Carolina. In the charge of Pickett's division, on
the third day of the battle of Gettysburg, he, having been previously



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1025

promoted first sergeant, was left the ranking officer of his company
by the killing or wounding of all his superior officers. Among the
heroic band which entered the Federal lines on Cemetery ridge,
he was taken prisoner and afterward confined at Fort McHenry
and Point Lookout until May, 1864. He was soon afterward ex-
changed, and he then rejoined his command at Dutch Gap and
continued to serve in the defense of Richmond and Lynchburg
until the evacuation, also during the winter of 1864 holding the
position of chief clerk of an official examining board. He took
part in the battle of Hatcher's Run and, after fighting at Dinwiddie
Court House and Five Forks, marched with his company to Ap-
pomattox and at the time of the surrender was its ranking officer.
Though participating in many fierce engagements, he escaped with
but two slight wounds. After the war he engaged in farming in
Southampton county, until 1887, when he was elected clerk of the
county court. He has also served as deputy treasurer and deputy
sheriff. He is a member of the camp of Confederate Veterans and
of several fraternal orders. In i8i6s he was married to Rosa,
daughter of James D. Westbrook. She died in 1894, leaving six
children: J. L., an attorney at Suffolk; William T., a student of
medicine; H. B., Mattie, wife of Thomas H. Birdsong; Josephine,
wife of H. W. Bowen; and Pearl.

James Macgill, since the war a resident of Pulaski City, Va., is
a native of Maryland, born at Hagerstown, December 24, 1844.
He was one of those spirited sons of Maryland who, with his three
brothers, C. G. W., William D. and David G. E., enlisted in arms
for the defense of their sister State, Virginia, when their own
commonwealth was overrun by the Federal armies. The two latter
enlisted in Company C, First Maryland cavalry, and Dr. C. G. W.
was surgeon of the Second Virginia infantry, Stonewall brigade.
Dr. Charles Macgill, the father of the four boys, was arrested, with
the Maryland legislature, in 1861, as he was major-general of the
Maryland militia at the time and was looked upon as a dangerous
man by the secretary of war of the United States. He was kept in
prison at Fort Warren, Boston harbor, until early in 1863, when he
came South and served as full surgeon in the C. S. A. until the sur-
render. In June, 1861, James Macgill became a private in Com-
pany C, First Maryland cavalry, under Capt. Robert Carter Smith,
who later succeeded Col. Ridgely Brown in command of the
regiment. Private Macgill was identified with the record of that
chivalrous band of troopers throughout the war, serving in many
battles and skirmishes. He was with Jackson in the famous Valley
campaign of 1862, rode under the leadership of the gallant J. E. B.
Stuart in many raids and heroic charges, participated in the Get-
tysburg campaign, and shared the service of the Maryland Line
in 1864, with Early in the valley and through Maryland, and with
Hampton at Trevilian's. While the army was lying in the Peters-
burg lines, during the latter part of 1864 and until the evacuation
of the Confederate capital, he was detailed for duty with the topo-
graphical engineers, and rendered important service in that capac-
ity in Henrico, Chesterfield, Hanover, Amelia and Dinwiddie
counties. After the evacuation of Petersburg, he returned to
Baltimore and was there imprisoned during the excitement which
followed the assassination of President Lincoln, from April i8th



1026 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

until the ist of May, when he was released and furnished a pass
to Richmond, by way of Fortress Monroe. Since then he has been
a citizen of Virginia. Mr. Macgill is a direct descendant of Rev.
James Macgill, who was sent to Queen Caroline parish, Anne



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 115 of 153)