Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 116 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 116 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Arundel county, Md., by the bishop of London, in 1728. This
founder of the. American branch of the family was the son of Sir
David Macgill, of Rankeillour, Scotland, Viscount of Oxford, and
his wife, Elizabeth Ruthven, great-granddaughter of William, sec-
ond Lord Ruthven. Sir David was a direct descendant of Sir
James McGill, provost of Edinborough in the reign of James V.,
who received a charter to lands in 1538, and was among the first
to embrace the reformed religion. His wife was Helen Wardlow,
of Fife. The famous Maj. James Breathed, of Maryland, was a
descendant of Rev. James MacGill, through his mother, Ann
MacGill Williams. The original parchment, showing the lineage,
was brought over by Rev. James MacGill, and is still in the pos-
session of the American family. Through their neglect, though
rightful heirs, the estates and titles of the family are now in the
possession of the heirs of Sir John Dalrymple, descendant of
Elizabeth MacGill Hamilton. Thomas Gennings, the last attor-
ney-general of Maryland, under George HL, was the great-great-
grandfather of the subject of this notice. James Macgill married,
February 12, 1868, Miss Mary Belle Prince, a niece of Gen. J. E. B.
Stuart, and settled in Pulaski county, Va., in January, 1870. He
has been prominently identified with the politics of his State since
the war, and has done all he could to uphold Democratic doctrine
as laid down by Thomas Jefferson.

J. B. Mack, D. D., a well-known Presbyterian evangelist, of
Georgia, and his father, William Mack, both served as chaplains
in the army of the Confederate States. A son of the former. Rev.
Edward Mack, pastor of the First Presbyterian church of Norfolk,
Va., is a worthy example of the young life of the South since the
war, the sons of those who endured the storm and stress of that
memorable period. He was born at Charleston, S. C, July 16,
1868, and was educated at Davidson college, where he received
the degree of A. B. in 1886 and A. M. in 1887. Then determin-
ing to follow the sacred calling he entered the Princeton sem-
inary, New Jersey, for theological studies, which he pursued for
two years. As a Fellow of the Princeton institution he continued
his studies at Berlin, Germany, for a year and a half, and after his
return in 1891, had charge for two years of the First Presbyterian
church at Charlotte, N. C. He was then called to the Central
Presbyterian church at St. Louis, where he served very acceptably
for four years, and until he was called to the pastorate of the First
Presbyterian church of Norfolk. His advancement in the sacred
profession has been notably rapid, and is justified by the depth of
his learning and the devotion he daily manifests to the cause of the
church and of humanity. In addition to his pulpit duties he has
contributed from time to time to the religious press. In 1892 Mr.
Mack was married to Miss Mary A. Kirby, of Goldsboro, N. C,
a daughter of Dr. George L. Kirby, late a surgeon in the army of
the Confederate States.

John H. Maclin, since the war a prominent manufacturer and
exporter of Petersburg, during the Confederate period served in


various commands of the army of Northern Virginia. He was born
in Brunswick county, the son of John F. Maclin, a well-known
farmer of that county, whose life ended before 1861. His great-
grandfather was a native of Scotland. After receiving his educa-
tion, at Randolph-Macon college, Mr. Maclin gave his attention to
farming at the family homestead in Brunswick county, his occupa-
tion at the time of the secession of Virginia. At the first call he
enlisted in the Brunswick Guards and went to the front, and, during
the first year of the war was stationed at Hardy's bluff on the James
river. He was subsequently transferred to the Petersburg Rifles,
but, on account of ill health, soon afterward received an honorable
discharge. About a year later he was sufficiently recovered to again
endure the service, and he became a member of the Petersburg
cavalry troop, in whose service he participated for about eighteen
months. In 1868 he became a citizen of Petersburg and entered the
tobacco trade, in which he is now conspicuous as the senior mem-
ber of the well-known firm of John H. Maclin & Son. Their manu-
facturing concern produces about three hundred and twenty-five
thousand pounds of plug and twist tobacco and four or five hundred
thousand pounds of leaf tobacco annually, large quantities of which
they export to foreign lands. His son, Thomas B. Maclin, is the
junior member of this firm. Mr. Maclin is an enterprising and
valuable citizen, and is highly regarded by his fellow-citizens. He
is active in political affairs and took a prominent part in the local
campaign of 1896.

Lieutenant Allen Washington Magee, a prominent business man
of Clarksville, Va., was mustered into the service of Virginia
early in 1861, as a volunteer in the "Petersburg Grays," under
Capt. T. H. Bond. His company was stationed at Norfolk during
the first year of the war, and was assigned to the Twelfth Virginia
infantry, Mahone's brigade, as Company C. With this gallant
command he fought at Seven Pines, Malvern Hill, Second Manas-
sas, Crampton's Gap, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville,
Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, on the Petersburg lines,
including the battle of the Crater, and at Reams' Station and other
fights about Petersburg. After the battle of Spottsylvania he was
promoted from private to ensign with the rank of first lieutenant.
He was wounded at Spottsylvania and was once captured, but man-
aged to turn the tables on his guard and take them in tow as his
prisoners. On the retreat from Petersburg he was again captured
but escaped and rejoined the army and was paroled at Appomattox.
Mr. Magee is a native of Prince George county, and son of Joseph
Magee, a lumber merchant. He was educated at Petersburg, and,
after the close of hostilities, entered the mercantile business and the
tobacco trade, first at Petersburg and, since 1872, at Clarksville,
where he is now the owner of a large warehouse, and is also pro-
prietor of Magee's chlorinated lithia springs. He was married in
1873 to Jeannette C, daughter of William Taylor, of Petersburg,
and they havR four children: William Allen, Stewart L., Emmett F.
and Archibald Preston.

Daniel W. Mahone, of Hampton, Va., a veteran of the Nottoway
Light artillery, was born at Hampton, October 3, 1837. His father,
Daniel Mahone, born in 1797, in James City county, died in 1844'
and was survived by his widow, Judith Robinson Armistead, until


1864, her life passing away on the same day that her son fell wound-
ed on a Georgia battlefield. Young Mahone was educated at Hamp-
ton military academy, under Col. John B. Gary, until the age of
fifteen, when he entered mercantile life. When the war broke out
he had been, for three years or more, engaged at Richmond as a
clerk in a drug store, an employment which he abandoned in July,
1861, to enlist as a private in the Nottoway artillery, commanded by
Capt. W. G. Jeffress. With this command he served throughout
the war, with promotion to the ranks of sergeant and corporal.
During 1861 and 1862 his battery was connected with the command
of Gen. Humphrey Marshall in Kentucky, eastern Tennessee
and southwest Virginia. After serving under circumstances of pe-
culiar hardship in the Cumberland mountains, during the winter of

1861, he participated in the battle of Middle Creek, Ky., in which
the Confederates repulsed the attacks of the Federals under Col.
James A. Garfield. Subsequently Mr. Mahone served under Gen-
eral Marshall in southwest Virginia, fighting at Princeton in May,

1862. In the following summer he marched with his command in-
to Kentucky again, co-operating with Bragg, and then returned
to southwest Virginia. During 1863 he was attached to the forces
under General Buckner, operating in Tennessee and Georgia, and
participated in the battle of Chickamauga and the many battles of
the Atlanta campaign, in one of which he was wounded, August 9,
1864. A month later he rejoined his command, near Macon, Ga.,
and continued in the service until the battery surrendered its guns
at Hamburg. Subsequently he resumed his occupation as a drug
clerk, in Macon, Ga., Hampton, Va., and Baltimore, Md., until
1883, when he embarked in the same business at Hampton, a busi-
ness venture which has been quite successful. He is loyal to his
comrades and is past lieutenant-commander and treasurer of R. E.
Lee camp. No. 3. In 1882 he was. married to Mary Theresa Rear-
don, who died September i, 1884.

James A. Maloney, M. D., late of Washington, D. C, was a na-
tive of Baltimore, Md., born in 1846, the son of Daniel Maloney,
also a native of that State, who served as a private in the Maryland
Line during the war with Mexico. The mother of Dr. Maloney
was the daughter of Anthony Grady, who was born in Ireland and
participated in the Revolution of 1798 in that country, and, on im-
migrating, became a member of the Second company. Fifty-first
regiment of infantry, Maryland Line, and fought at North Point and
Fort McHenry in the war of 1812. When the Northern troops
were brought to Baltimore, on April 19, 1861, young Grady, though
but a youth at the time, and receiving his education at St. Joseph's
academy, shared in the popular demonstration against the invasion
of the city, and, during the melee, received a gunshot wound in the
leg. This was not so serious, however, as to prevent his leaving
two days later for Richmond, where he eagerly sought service in
the Confederate ranks. He was enlisted in the company of Capt.
Joseph Forrest, in the Virginia military, at Mathias Point, in June,
1861, and he remained with that command until it was disbanded
in the following September. In October he became a member of
the Baltimore light artillery, with which he served until, in Febru-
ary, 1862, he was stricken with typho-pneumonia and sent to hos-
pital at Front Royal. He was transferred to the hospital at Rich-


mond at the evacuation of Manassas, and, as a convalescent, in
June, 1862, he took part in the battles of Seven Pines and Gaines'
Mill, receiving a wound in the left arm at the former battle. His
physical condition, however, would not permit of continued service
in the field and he was assigned to duty in the laboratory at Rich-
mond, where he remained until August following, when he received
an honorable discharge on account of physical disability. In the
following October, however, he re-enlisted, and entered the ord-
nance department under Colonel Dimmock, with whom he re-
mained at Richmond until the fall of 1863, when Dr. Maloney re-
ceived severe injuries in the explosion of the laboratory, which
unfitted him for further service. Still anxious to be of some util-
ity in the cause, he refused a discharge and asked for some detailed
duty. As a result of this application he made his way to Washing-
ton and served during the remainder of the war in collecting in-
formation for the Confederate government. It was dangerous em-
ployment, but his tact and shrewdness availed to preserve him from
arrest until the night following the assassination of President Lin-
coln, when he was seized as a suspect but released on the next day.
After the establishment of peace he took up the study of law at
Washington, and, being admitted to practice in 1876, followed that
profession with success until 1883. Then feeling a greater natural
inclination toward the pursuit of scientific studies, he devoted him-
self to the study of applied physics, and, after taking a course of
chemistry at Georgetown university, entered the medical depart-
ment of the university in 1886. He continued his professional
studies, in 1888, at the university of Maryland, and, in 1890, in
Columbia university, where he was graduated in 1891. After that
date he continued in the practice of medicine at Washington and
attained distinction as a well-grounded and skillful practitioner.
Dr. Maloney was an active member of the Washington camp of
United Confederate Veterans, of which he was surgeon in 1894
and commander in the year 1895.

Michael Maloney, who has been a resident of the national capital
during the past ten years, and, during the war was a gallant soldier
of the army of Northern Virginia, serving during the entire war,
was born in Ireland in 1832. When a boy of thirteen years he came
to America and made his home in Allegheny county, Va., where he
found employment in agricultural pursuits during the subsequent
fifteen years. When the State, of which he had become a loyal and
devoted citizen, determined to sever her connection with the Fed-
eral government, he promptly enlisted for her military defense and
was enrolled as a private in the Twenty-seventh Virginia infantry.
His valor and meritorious conduct were rewarded by promotion to
the rank of orderly-sergeant during his subsequent career in the
campaigns and battles of the army. He took part in the battles of
Harper's Ferry, First Manassas, Kernstown, Port Republic, Cedar
Creek and the Wilderness, among others of less importance. After
the battles of the Wilderness, he was detailed for special duty and
ordered to Babb county, Va., where he was employed in the manu-
facture of saltpeter for the army, until the close of the military
operations. During his service he escaped without further injury
than a slight wound received at Kernstown. Owing to this occu-
pation at the time of the surrender of the army he was not paroled


at the close of the war. When assured that the Confederacy was
dissolved, he returned to his home and soon afterward was able to
purchase a farm in Augusta county, where he was engaged for sev-
eral years in farming. In 1887 he removed to the city of Washing-
ton, where he has since been quite successfully occupied in the
business of a contractor.

W. P. Manning, M. D., of Washington, D. C, a veteran of the
army of Northern Virginia, was born in Jeflerson county, now a
part of the State of West Virginia, December 8, 1844. He was edu-
cated at Charlestown until, when a little past sixteen years of age,
he enlisted, in April, 1861, in Company G of the Second Virginia
regiment of infantry. This regiment was assigned to the brigade
of Gen. T. J. Jackson and soon became famous at the first battle of
Manassas, where Private Manning did his duty and received two
wounds. At the end of his year's enlistment he became a member
of Company B of the Twelfth Virginia regiment of cavalry and
served in this command, in all its engagements, until the close of
the war. He then undertook the study of medicine and matricu-
lated at the university of Maryland, where he received the degree of
doctor of medicine in 1869. After practicing at Shepherdstown,
W. Va., until 1882, he made his home at Washington, where he has
established a large practice and enjoys the well justified confidence
of the public. He is a member of the Washington association of
Confederate veterans, with the rank of surgeon. '

Lieutenant Richard A. Mapp, during the war a member of the
signal corps, was the son of John D. Mapp, a native of Northamp-
ton county, Va. He made his home at Norfolk in the decade pre-
ceding the war, and, engaging in the hardware business, became a
prominent business man and a valuable citizen. For a consider-
able period he served upon the city council. He was a member of
one of the first companies organized at Norfolk for the Confederate
service, Company F, Sixth Virginia regiment and he subsequently
was attached as an officer to the signal corps, organized at Norfolk
in March, 1862, under the command of Maj. James F. Milligan. It
was a service requiring special intelligence, and membership in the
command was considered much of an honor. The corps rendered
services of great value throughout the war, on the James river, and
was relied upon by the Confederate government for information re-
garding the movements of the Federal fleet and of troops near For-
tress Monroe. Lieutenant Mapp survived the war and continued
his business career until his death in 1884. His wife was Mary V.,
daughter of Jacob Ashby.

Robert Thomas Marable, a veteran of the Forty-first Virginia in-
fantry, was born at Walnut Hill, his father's farm home in Sussex
county, and now, with his wife, whose maiden name was Alice H.
Dillard, resides at Newport News. He enlisted in 1862 in Company
A, Forty-first Virginia infantry. Col. J. R. Chambliss, at Norfolk,
and served under the command of General Huger and later of Gen-
eral Mahone. With the famous career of Mahone's brigade he was
identified part of the time as a non-commissioned officer, until he
was captured at Burgess| Mill. He then suflfered the hardships of
prison life until a short time before the surrender, when he was pa-
roled. Subsequently he was engaged in farming at his old home,
until he entered the service of the Chesapeake & Ohio railroad. His


brother, John H. Marable, was a member of the Thirteenth Vir-
ginia cavalry, Col. J. R. Chambliss, throughout the war, and at the
time of the death of General Stuart was acting as his courier. An-
other brother, David Marable, was color-sergeant of Company A,
Forty-first regiment, until he was killed at Malvern Hill. Three of
his uncles and many others of his family were in the service, and
his wife's father, Thaddeus Edward Dillard, was also a brave sol-
dier. Robert Edward Marable, son of the foregoing, was born at
Oakleigh, Sussex county, September 25, 1870, and was reared in
that county and in Surry, where in youth he was employed in the
office of the county clerk. Removing to Newport News in 1892 he
became a deputy in the office of the clerk of the corporation court,
and pursued the study of law, being admitted to the bar May 11,
1893. His duties as deputy clerk, however, debar him from active
practice. He was married November 14, 1893, to Miss Helen
Branch, of Isle of Wight county, daughter of James Branch, a Con-
federate veteran, and they have two children: James Edward and
Helen Inez.

Henry Clay Marchant, a prominent manufacturer of military
goods, at Charlottesville, Va., was born at that city, April i, 1838. At
the time of the secession of Virginia he was a resident of Peters-
burg, and, a few months later, he entered the Confederate service as
a private in Company A, Twelfth Virginia infantry, then a part of
Mahone's brigade of Huger's division. He was with his regiment
in the occupation of Norfolk and the adjacent region, apd, after
the evacuation, he took part in the fighting that followed before
Richmond, first being in battle at Drewry's Bluflf. Later he took
part in the battle of Seven Pines. At the opening of the Seven
Days' campaign under General Lee he received a severe wound in
the left leg, from a minie ball, and was so disabled that he was un-
able to return to the service and the close of the war found him yet
on crutches. During the period of peace and industrial progress,
which has followed, he has taken an active and influential part in
business and manufacturing affairs, having been, since its organi-
zation in 1869, thoroughly identified with the building up of that
important and progressive industry, the Charlottesville woolen
mills, which to-day stands at the, head of the list for producing
goods of the highest quality and finish.

Colonel George Alexander Martin, of Norfolk, a gallant Con-
federate officer who, in the spring of 1861, led to duty one of the
companies of brave men contributed to the cause by Norfolk coun-
ty, was born in that county, September 3, 1833. His family is one
of the oldest in America. The ancestor in England married a sister
of Lord Fairfax, and their sons, Thomas, Denny and John, emigrat-
ing to America, established in the new world a lineage which has
included many who were conspicuous for patriotism, statesmanship
and good citizenship. The colonel's great-grandfather, Gen. Joseph
Martin, after rendering illustrious service in the war which estab-
lished the independence of the colonies, spent his latter days in an
equally brave and heroic struggle against the untamed forces of
nature and the savagery of the red men, being no less conspicuous
than Daniel Boone in winning Kentucky for civilization. This
worthy ancestor had four sons, one of whom settled in Kentucky,
two in Virginia, and one in Elizabeth City, N. C. One of these


sons was George Martin, whose son, James Green Martin, of Nor-
folk county, was a soldier in the war of 1812, a prominent citizen
and extensive planter, and for many years chief of the justice court.
He married Maacah, daughter of Alexander Foreman, who was one
of the first settlers of Norfolk county; served, it is believed, in the
Revolutionary war and became wealthy and influential. The Fore-
man family is of pure English descent and is one of the oldest in
Virginia. Capt. Nehemiah Foreman, brother of Mrs. Martin,
served as a captain of cavalry in the war of 1812 and afterward was
distinguished for wealth and influence. George Alexander, son of
James Green and Maacah Martin, was educated at the university of
Virginia, where he was one of the foremost of his class, and after
finishing his course, he turned his attention to preparation for the
profession- of law. He began the practice in Norfolk county in 1857,
but was hardly well launched in this career when the crisis of 1860-61
arrived, and he responded to the call of his mother State with his
best efforts for her preservation from armed invasion. He took
an active part in the organization of a company for the artillery
service in St. Bride's parish, of which he was elected captain. This
company, called the St. Bride's light artillery, was mustered into the
Confederate service, June 26, 1861, but, on account of lack of ord-
nance, did not find the desired service. and was assigned to heavy
artillery duty at Lambert's Point until early in 1862, when it was
in charge of a battery on the Nansemond river, at Suffolk, until
May Captain Martin and his men were then transferred to
Richmond, where the heavy guns were- also taken, and there being
no field battery for them, they were armed with some old muskets
and temporarily attached to the Fourteenth Virginia regiment of
Armistead's brigade, with which they took part, poorly equipped as
they were, in the battle of Seven Pines. In June they participated in
the Seven Days' battles, including Malvern Hill. The company
was then detached from the infantry and assigned to the Twentieth
battalion, heavy artillery, under Major DeLagniel, for duty in the de-
fense of Richmond. Captain Martin during this service had command
in defense of Brook's Pike, where he had some severe skirmishes with
liahlgren's raiders in February, 1864. April 25, 1864, the company
was relieved from artillery duty and attached as Company I to the
Thirty-eighth Virginia regiment, Stuart's brigade, Pickett's divi-
sion. In this command Captain Martin led his company in the two
important battles of May loth and i6th, near Drewry's bluflf, and,
in the battle of Chester's Station, on June l6th, between Pickett's
division and the Federal forces, when the latter were foiled in
their advance toward the Richmond & Petersburg railroad and
driven back to their entrenchments. In the latter fight, the colonel of
the Thirty-eighth was killed, and, on March 28, 1865, Captain
Martin was commissioned lieutenant-colonel, a well-deserved pro-
motion, to date from December 2, 1864. In these ranks he partic-
ipated in all the battles of his command. When the army was
surrendered at Appomattox he was in_ the hospital at Lynchburg,
and, notwithstanding his feeble condition, he was placed in com-
mand of regular infantry by General Colston. After the surrender
he made his way South, and, being prevented from reaching Dan-
ville by the Federal advance, rode through to Charlotte, N. C,
where he joined the forces accompanying President Davis. At


Charlotte a council was held by the officers present to determine
their future course, and it was decided to surrender with General
Johnston. But Colonel Martin, not approving this course, left
the council, followed by several other officers, and they tendered
their services to the president as a bodyguard. They were ac-
cepted. Colonel Martin to be in command, and accordingly armed

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 116 of 153)