Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 121 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 121 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ant places." "The running away," he says, "was not of our own choos-
ing, for the boys of our battery would have had it otherwise, and
we did not relish the paternal regard of the powers that were in
our behalf. It did seem, however, that the authorities studiously
avoided exposing us to danger and kept the battery continuously
on the move, so as to shield it from the enemy's bullets." In 1866
Mr. Mullen was appointed register of deeds for Perquimans county,
and during the two years he held this office he prepared himself
for the practice of law, to which he was admitted in January, 1869.
From that date until July, 1886, he was engaged in professional
work in Halifax county and, in 1885-86, he represented his county
in the State senate and held the honorable position of trustee of
the State university. Removing to Petersburg in 1886 he speedily
was recognized as a lawyer of deep learning and forceful as a pleader
at the bar. He was elected attorney for the commonwealth for the
city of Petersburg, and, taking office, July, 1888, was retained in
that position by popular vote until, in September, 1894, he was ap-
pointed by Governor O'Ferrall judge of the hustings court of the
city, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Judge D. M. Bennett.
Subsequently the legislature confirmed this action by electing him
for the term which will expire January i, 1901.

Robert Beverly Munford, a well-known municipal official of Rich-
mond, was born and reared in Hanover county, Va., a descendant
of a family which has long resided in the State and has been hon-
orably represented in its civil and military service. His grandfather,
William Munford, author of a translation of Homer's Iliad, born
August IS, 177s, died June 21, 1825, was clerk of the house of dele-
gates at the time of his death, and was succeeded by his son, George
Wythe Munford, who held that place for a considerable period and
then became secretary of the commonwealth until the evacuation
of Richmond. His great-grandfather, Robert Munford, served in
the war of the Revolution with the rank of colonel. In \%^ young
Munford was orphaned by the death of his father, Dr. Robert Mun-
ford, who lost his life by yellow fever in Cuba, at the age of twenty-
eight years. When he had reached the age of fifteen years his home
Va 67



1062 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

was made at Richmond, where he found employment as a clerk un-
til the outbreak of the war. In April, 1861, he enlisted with the
Richmond Grays, as a private, and became, with this command,
part of the Twelfth Virginia infantry regiment, of Mahone's brigade,
with which he served during the year's enlistment. At the reorgani-
zation he was elected corporal in his company and continued with
the regiment until after the Manassas campaign of 1862, when he was
transferred to Letcher's battery, with the rank of sergeant. In the
spring of 1863 he was appointed quartermaster of Pegram's bat-
talion of artillery, the capacity in which he served during the re-
mainder of the war. His military record includes honorable partici-
pation in such battles as Seven Pines, Frayser's Farm, Malvern Hill,
Second Manassas, Harper's Ferry, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville,
Gettysburg, Bristoe Station, Mine Run, Spottsylvania, Second Cold
Harbor, and the long and desperate defense of the Petersburg lines.
A few weeks after Appomattox he was paroled at Richmond, where
he resumed his occupation as a clerk. Soon becoming prominent
in municipal affairs, he was elected to the office of city treasurer in
1870, but a new election being ordered by the authorities, five months
later, he declined to be a candidate a second time. In 1872 the
esteem in which he was held was manifested by his election as com-
missioner of revenue of the State and city, a position which he has
continued to hold since that date, now a period of twenty-five years.
Mr. Munford is a member of the Lee and Pickett camps of Con-
federate veterans, the Richmond Grays association, Pegram's bat-
talion association and the army of Northern Virginia association.
John H. Munford, elder brother of the foregoing, entered the Con-
federate service as a private in the famous Company F of the First
Virginia regiment, with which he served until the organization of
Letcher's battery, of which he became orderly-sergeant and was
promoted to first lieutenant. At Malvern Hill he was seriously
wounded and left on the field for dead. Though he recovered suffi-
ciently to return to the battery, his condition was such that the ex-
ertion at the battle of Gettysburg brought on a fever which caused
his death at Richmond a few weeks later, at the age of twenty-four
years. R. B. Munford is a member of the Virginia historical soci-
ety and the Southern historical society, and a life member of Holly
memorial society.

Henry Frederick Munt, a prominent manufacturer of Petersburg,
Va., entered the Confederate service from Prince George county, in
1862, being then about eighteen years of age, as a private of the
Richmond Grays, was made corporal of Company F of the Twenty-
first Virginia infantry regiment. He served at Richmond for sev-
eral months after his enlistment. His first fight was at Williams-
port, following the Gettysburg campaign, and, during the following
winter, he was in camp at Orange Court House. He went into the
campaign of 1864 in Jones| brigade of the division of Gen. Edward
Johnson, and, after participating in the fighting during the early
days of May in the Wilderness, was captured with the greater part
of his division at the "bloody angle" on the field of Spottsylvania
Court House. From that. time he was held for a period of over
eleven months in the Northern prisons, at Point Lookout two
months, and Elmira, N. Y., one year. Finally being released after
the war was over, he reached home on the last day of June,



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1063

1865, and applied himself to the duties of civil life. He was busied
wtth farm work until the latter part of 1868, when he embarked in
mercantile business, in which he continued to be engaged until
1886. Since then he has given his entire attention to the manage-
ment of the Eagle Mills, in which he has met with notable success,
though suffering severe loss on two occasions by fire. Mr. Munt
was born in Prince George county in 1844, the son of John H.
Munt, a farmer and prominent citizen of that county, who died in

1866. H. F. Munt was married in 1870 to Miss Rosa, daughter of
Joseph R. Seward. He takes an active interest in the welfare of his
city and has served with efficiency four years on the city council.

Captain C. W. Murdaugh, a prominent attorney of Portsmouth,
was associated with the Confederate States, both in a military and
a civil official capacity, holding a seat in the Virginia legislature
through the struggle and also serving as a distinguished officer of
the Sixty-first regiment. He was born at Portsmouth, December
28, 1828, the son of James and Mary (Riddick) Murdaugh. He was
educated at William and Mary college, where he was graduated,
July 4, 1848, after which he entered the university of Virginia for
the study of law. After completing his professional studies he began
the practice at Portsmouth, in 1852, and continued laying the foun-
dation for a successful professional career until his work was in-
terrupted by the threatening events of 1861. On April 19th of that
momentous year, he entered the service of Virginia as commissary
of the Third regiment, but resigned that position and, on June i6th,
re-enlisted as lieutenant of Company I of the gallant Sixty-first in-
fantry. The fortunes of this command and its operations in Ma-
hone's brigade and Anderson's division, he shared until the close cf
the war, receiving promotion, in recognition of his faithful and
meritorious services, to the rank of captain in 1864. Prominent
among the engagements in which he participated were the battles
before Richmond, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and Salem
Church. In the latter fight. May 3, 1863, he was severely wounded.
Throughout the war he also served as a member of the legislature,
an official station which would have exempted him from military
service if he had cared to avail himself of the legal exemption. After
the close of the war he resumed his practice with notable success
and, in addition to his work as a lawyer in general practice, he has
served acceptably two years as commonwealth attorney and six
years as judge of the Hustings court of Portsmouth. He is a past
commander of Stonewall camp. Confederate Veterans, and is a
Scottish rite Mason, Knight Templar and member of the Elks.
Captain Murdaugh was married, August 13, 1856, to Eugenia Dick-
son, and of their fourteen children seven survive.

John Murphy, a_ well-known citizen of Richmond, Va., who ren-
dered gallant service as a private in several noted commands dur-
ing the war of the Confederacy, came to America, in 1850, from his
native city of Cork, Ireland. He made his home at Lynchburg until
1852, when he removed to Richmond and, in the succeeding years,
becoming a great admirer of the old commonwealth and thorough-
ly devoted to the cause of his adopted State, was among the first to
enlist in her defense in April, 1861. He became a member of that
spirited body of Irish soldiers, known as "The Emmett Guards,"
which was assigned to the Fifteenth Virginia regiment of infantry.



1064 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

With this command he fought in 1861 and, upon the reorganiza-
tion, the following year, joined Letcher's battery of Pegram's bat-
talion of artillery and served the guns one year as a private, after
which he was transferred to the Second Kentucky regiment, en-
abling him to follow the gallant trooper, John A. Morgan, under
whose command he served until the close of the war, with the ex-
ception of his absence as a prisoner of war. He participated in the
battle of Big Bethel in June, 1861, and in stampeding the Federal
entrenchers and burning the village of Hampton in July, and subse-
quently fought at Mechanicsville, Malvern Hill, Cedar Mountain and
Warrenton Springs, where he was badly wounded. Among the
later actions in which he took part were Saltville and Tazewell
Court House, with Morgan's command. At Cloyd's Mountain,
Va., May 9, 1864, when the Confederate forces were attacked by
superior numbers under Crook, and Gen. A. G. Jenkins was mor-
tally wounded, Mr. Murphy was slightly wounded and fell into the
hands of the enemy. He was then sent to Camp Chase, near Colum-
bus, Ohio, and held there until the close of the war.. After being pa-
roled he spent about one year in the Western States, and then re-
turned to Virginia and made his home. at Richmond, where he is
now engaged in hotel management. He is an active member of R.
E. Lee camp No. i, Confederate Veterans, of which he was com-
mander in 1886-87. He is prominent in the work of the Catholic
church and of the organization of Catholic Knights of America, of
which he served as president in 1886-87.

Henry H. Myers, a prominent merchant of Lexington, Va., was
a student at Washington college at the beginning of the war of the
Confederacy and began his gallant career as a soldier with the
Liberty Hall Volunteers. He was born at Lewisburg, in what is
now West Virginia, in 1843, and at the age of six years was
brought with hi.s family to Lexington, where he has since that time
made his home. He left college in April, 1861, as a private in the
Liberty Hall Volunteers, an organization of seventy-one high spir-
ited students, which was incorporated in the Fourth regiment of
infantry and assigned to the brigade soon afterward famous
under the title of Stonewall, won at Manassas. With this brigade,
at first under the command of Thomas J. Jackson and later at-
tached to this division and corps, he fought in a skirmish near)
Winchester, then at the Manassas fight of 1861, through the Valley
campaign of 1862, including the battles of Kernstown, McDowell,
Cross Keys, Port Republic and Front Royal, and the defeat of
Banks at Winchester, through the Seven Days' battles before Rich-
mond, at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, the defeat of Milroy
at Winchester, and Gettysburg. In the fall of 1863 he was trans-
ferred to the First regiment of Virginia cavalry, with which he
served during the remainder of the war, taking part in many actions,
prominent among which were Kelly's Ford, Brandy Station, Yel-
low Tavern, Trevilian and the Wilderness. At Fredericksburg he
was captured by the enemy and was held as a prisoner three weeks
near Washington. During his cavalry service five horses were shot
under him, an indication of the activity and perilous character of
his duty. After the surrender his command was disbanded at Lynch-
burg and he returned to his home at Lexington. Soon afterward he
embarked in the hardware trade at that city, and, continuing in this
business ever since, has met with notable success.




'^"S'-'^.diy j.KM^phM.N,^'^"^-



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1065

Lieutenant L. C. Myers, of Harrisonburg, Va., was one of the
first of the sons of Virginia to rally at the posts of danger at the
time of the passage of the ordinance of secession. He was then a
member of Company H of the Tenth Virginia infantry, which had
been in training about twelve months as a volunteer militia organi-
zation, and was prepared to answer promptly when called into the
service at Harper's Ferry, on April 17, 1861, under the gallant Stone-
wall Jackson. Under the same commander he participated in the
battle of Manassas, in July, 1861, and in the campaign in the Shen-
andoah valley in the spring of 1862, until the battle of McDowell,
May 8th, when he received a wound in the thigh which incapacitat-
ed him for further service in the field. During his connection with
his regiment he held the rank of second lieutenant, to which he was
commissioned about the time of the organization of the command.
In 1863 Lieutenant Myers was appointed enrolling officer for his na-
tive county of Rockingham, and in this capacity he served until the
close of the war. He then engaged in mercantile pursuits until
1872, when he became connected with the First National bank of
Harrisonburg. Elected cashier of this institution in 1888, he has
since held that place and discharged its duties with credit to him-
self and to the advantage of the bank. He is a comrade of the local
camp of the United Confederate Veterans, and prominent in the
Masonic order as a member of the Knight Templars ancf Rocking-
ham chapter and lodge. Lieutenant Myers was born January 30,
1840, the son of Christian Myers, of German descent, and his wife
Melinda Gaines, a descendant of an old Virginia family. He was
married, first, to Miss Sallie Mauck, who died, leaving one child,
and subsequently to Mrs. Margaret L. (Newman) Yancey, by whom
he has a daughter living.

Herbert M. Nash, a distinguished physician and surgeon of Nor-
folk, Va., who served in the army of Northern Virginia through the
war of the Confederacy, is a native of Norfolk, in the immediate
vicinity of which his family have resided for more than two cen-
turies. Among the first houses erected upon the original plat of the
city, about 1680, were one by Thomas Nash and another by Thomas
Walke. It is an interesting coincidence that, at the present time,
the only surviving surgeons of the Confederate army residing in
the city are Dr. Nash and Dr. Frank A. Walke. It was a Thomas
Nash, a native of Wales, who was the first of this family
in Virginia; and, with his wife Anne, he settled in Lower
Norfolk in 1665. The name was transmitted with filial respect, and
his grandson, Thomas Nash, was for many years a vestryman of
St. Bride's parish, Norfolk county, a position in the colony of Vir-
ginia, held by gentlemen only, and, including as it did the func-
tions of a magistrate, was one of responsibility. The grandfather
of Herbert Nash, the fourth Thomas in descent, took part in the
battle of the Great Bridge (ten miles from Norfolk), December 9,
177s, and was severely wounded. This battle, in which the troops
of North Carolina and Virginia, under Colonel Woodford, re-
pulsed the British troops of Lord Dunmore, slaying their com-
mander. Captain Fordyce,and killing and wounding between 100 and
200 men, was the first decisive battle of the war, compared to which
the affairs at Concord and Lexington were insignificant. Continu-
ing in service, Capt. Thomas Nash was captured in a hazardous en-



1066 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

terprise toward the end of the war, and was confined in a prison
ship until the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown, when he was
released. During the last war with Great Britain — 1812-14 — he con-
structed the gunboats that, with the U. S. S. Constellation and the
State troops on Craney island near the mouth of the Elizabeth
river, signally defeated Admiral Cockburn's combined land and
water attack upon that post, June 22, 1813. One of his sons, Abner
Nash, served with the artillery in that action. The father of our
subject. Dr. Thomas Nash, was noted for his suave manners, his
guileless disposition and his unaffected Christian character. He
honored the loftiest ideal of his calling, by devoting himself fear-
lessly, though when in broken health, to the care of the afiflicted
during the terrible yellow fever scourge of 1855, and met death
calmly and honorably in the discharge of duty. His wife, the moth-
er of the subject of this sketch, was Lydia Adela Herbert. Tlie
Herberts settled in Lower Norfolk about 1650 and were generally
men of affairs and large land holders. Her father was sent to Eng-
land in his youth, where he studied the higher mathematics and
scientific shipbuilding. This industry he subsequently successfully
conducted for some years near Norfolk, converting the timber from
his own lands into the shipping, for which the port was celebrated
in the busy earlier years of this century. Dr. Herbert M. Nash,
whose lineage has thus been briefly mentioned, was born in 1831.
After obtaining an academic education in the schools of the city, par-
ticularly the classical school of James D. Johnson and the Norfolk
military academy, he repaired to the university of Virginia, from
which he received the degree of doctor of medicine, June 29, 1852.
After some time spent in the study of clinical medicine and surgery
in New York city, he began the practice of his profession in Nor-
folk in the fall of 1853. Two years later he was called upon to face
the appalling epidemic of yellow fever that destroyed a third of the
people who remained in the city, including those nearest and dear-
est to him. He did his duty, fighting the unseen deadly foe with
a steadiness which was subsequently again manifested in his minis-
trations to the wounded on the battlefield. He is now the only
survivor of the medical men who were on duty in Norfolk in 1855.
In 1861, immediately after the secession of Virginia and its adher-
ence to the Confederate States, he was commissioned an assistant
surgeon in the State forces and subsequently transferred to the pro-
visional army. Confederate States. He was stationed at Craney
island until that post was evacuated in May, 1862. Here he wit-
nessed the naval battle of March 9, 1862 — in which the Confederate
States ironclad steamer Virginia destroyed the U. S. S. Cumber-
land and Congress — and the scattering of the remaining U. S. naval
ships from Hampton Roads; and also the battle of the next day
between the Virginia and the Monitor, the latter withdrawing into
shallow water, out of the reach of the Virginia, which ship, being
of heavier draught, could not again force the Monitor into close
quarters. Nor did she ever subsequently accept the challenges of
the Virginia for another combat. In the evening of the day of this
battle he attended to the wounded of the Confederate States gun-
boat Raleigh, Capt. W. H. Parker, which was engaged in the fight.
Dr. Nash was with his command at the battle of Seven Pines and
later in the Seven Days' battles around Richmond, ending at Mai-



C ONFEDERA TE MI LIT A R Y HIS TOR Y. 1067

vern Hill and the retreat of McClellan's army to the protection of his
ships at Harrison's landing on James river; was detailed to care
for the wounded in the skirmishes on the Rappahannock after the
battle of Cedar Mountain, and only rejoined Lee's army after the
battle of Sharpsburg or Antietam. Promoted surgeon, he was now
ordered to the Sixty-first Virginia infantry, and was with it at the
battles of Fredericksburg,C^ancellorsville,Salem Church and Gettys-
burg. Now ordered to the artillery of Hill's corps, he was present
with it at the battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House,
Hanover Junction, Second Cold Harbor, and, after Grant's change
of base, at Petersburg. During the siege of Petersburg he was
placed in charge of the medical department of the artillery of Hill's
(Third) army corps, as its chief surgeon, and reorganized some of
its field hospitals, and was with his command when the army re-
tired from Petersburg after its lines were broken, and was cap-
tured after being disabled in a cavalry dash near Appomattox
Court House, but was paroled with the army of Northern Virginia
the next day after its surrender. May 9, 1865. Dr. Nash's brother,
Thomas Nash, was an officer of artillery and ordnance in the Con-
federate States army. Resuming the practice of his profession, in
Norfolk, after the close of the war between the States, his inde-
fatigable devotion to professional work, regardless of fatigue or ex-
posure, soon secured for him a reputation of merited distinction.
He was for some years the quarantine medical officer of the district
of the Elizabeth river, an appointment unsolicited, made by the
governor in view of his familiarity with the subject of infectious
fevers. This position he was forced to resign by the demands of
his practice. He was for some time the president of the Norfolk
board of health, and systematized its operations. He was for sev-
eral terms the president of the City medical society, of which he
was one of the original members. He has for many years been a
member of the American medical association, the American
public association. Southern surgical and gynecological associ-
ation,_ a member and vice-president of the medical examining board
of Virginia, and ex-president and honorary member of the State
medical society. He was the pioneer in his city in gynecological
work, a branch of surgery that has occupied no little of his time.
His contributions to medical literature have been made principally
in the city and State societies. He is visiting physician to St. Vin-
cent's hospital and consulting surgeon to the Retreat for the Sick in
Norfolk. In 1867, Dr. Nash was married to Mary A., daughter of
Nicholas Wilson Parker, Esq., who, under the "ancient regime" in
Virginia, had long been a member of the old corporation court,
the justices of which served without remuneration, and whose de-
cisions were seldom reversed. Her grandfather, Copeland Parker,
held a position in the customs department of the first union of the
States, and, subsequently, surveyor of the ports of Smithfield and
of Norfolk. Her great-grandfather, Nicholas Parker, inherited and
resided at his seat, Macclesfield, Isle of Wight county, Va., which
subsequently became the property of his eldest son. Col. Josiah
Parker, who was a distinguished officer of the Virginia line in the
Revolution, and the first member of Congress from his district,
under the present Constitution of the United States. Another
brother of her grandfather, Nicholas, was a lieutenant in the Vir-



1068 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

ginia line and died at Leesburg while en route to join Washington's
army at the North. The Parker family held a prominent position
in England before the settlement of some of its members in Vir-
ginia. Dr. and Mrs. Nash have two daughters, Elizabeth Parker
and Mary Louisa. Dr. Nash is both by hereditary proclivity and
conviction an adherent of the Protestant Episcopal church and has
been for years a vestryman of old St. Paul's church, erected in 1739.
John L. Nash, of Norfolk, a veteran of the Fifteenth Virginia
cavalry, was born in Norfolk county, March 4, 1840. Early in 1861
he abandoned his studies for the legal profession to become a mem-
ber of a company known as the Chesapeake light cavalry, under
command of Capt. Edgar Burroughs, who was subsequently pro-
moted major of the battalion to which his company was assigned.
During the occupation of Norfolk this battalion did picket duty on



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 121 of 153)