Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 123 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 123 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

able family. He was born in Mecklenburg county in 1835, the
son of J. W. S. Northington, who had served in the war of 1812,
and had taken to wife Mary H., daughter of Capt. Thomas C.
Reeks, another soldier of the last war with the mother country.
John S. Northington was educated mainly by his father, who was
an accomplished teacher, and then went into business at Halifax,
N. C, where, at the outbreak of the war, he was mayor and mag-
istrate. Though this office exempted him from service, he enlisted,
on April 9, 1862, in the military service of North Carolina and tlie
Confederacy, and was sent to a camp of instruction at Raleigh,
where he was elected junior second lieutenant of his company.
Soon afterward he was sent to Norfolk, Va., where his company
and others were formed into the Twelfth North Carolina infantry
regiment. At the reorganization, in the spring of 1862, he was
elected first lieutenant of his company. After the abandonment
of Norfolk he served with his regiment in the defense of Rich-
mond, and participated in the battle of Hanover Court House,
May 2"}, 1862, and a few days later was detailed as acting quarter-
master, in which capacity he served until December, 1862. Then
returning to the line, he participated with his company in the
battle of Fredericksburg, in D. H. Hill's division of Jackson's
corps. After this fight he was transferred to the~stafi of his brigade
commander. Gen. Alfred Iverson, as acting assistant adjutant and
inspector-general, as which he served until the office was abolished
in the following spring. He then returned to his duties as lieu-
tenant of his company and took part in the battle of Chancellors-
ville and the Pennsylvania campaign, including the three days' con-
flict at Gettysburg. In the winter of 1863-64 he was appointed
captain and assistant quartermaster of the Twelfth regiment, and he
continued in that duty until the consolidation in the quartermaster's
department when he was assigned to the staff of Gen. R. D. John-
son, with whom he participated in the Valley campaign of 1864,
and finally surrendered at Appomattox. He then returned to his
civil pursuits at Halifax, N. C, and thence, in 1869, removed to


Petersburg, where, since i8go, he has been a partner in the extensive
dry goods house of George J. Morrison & Co. He is influential
in the community, has served upon the city council, and among his
old comrades is highly esteemed. He has held the rank of com-
mander of A. P. Hill camp, Confederate Veterans.

Thomas J. Nottingham., a loyal Southern man, was born in
Northampton county, Va., May 28, 1834, was a ship carpenter by
trade, and during the period of the war of the Confederacy, en-
gaged in blockade running in the vicinity of Norfolk and served
in a naval battalion, doing eflfective service for the cause. After
peace was restored he removed to Tarr Farm, Pa., but returned
to Norfolk in 1869 and died there, September 19, 1891, being at
that time and for many years previous, a member of the firm of
Nottingham & Wrenn, in which his son is now interested. His
wife, whose maiden name was Mary B. Tarrell, died in 1886.
Thomas J. Nottingham, son of the above, was born in Richmond
in September, 1864. He came to Norfolk with his parents in
1869, and in 1882, entered the Virginia military institute, where he
was graduated in 1886. He then became employed with the mer-
cantile house in which his father was a partner, and after the death
of the latter, on November 14, 1891, he joined in the incorporation
of a stock company to carry on the business under the name of
the Nottingham & Wrenn company. Of this company he was
made vice-president, a position he has since held, contributing in
no small degree to the success of the firm, which ranks among
the largest dealers in coal, ice, lumber, etc. He is also a director
of the Tidewater ice company and of the Hygeia ice company, and
secretary of the Southeastern building and loan company. For six
years he has served on the local board of improvement of his ward.
Of Grice commandery, Knight Templars, he holds the rank of
eminent commander. For three years he served in the Light Ar-
tillery Blues of Norfolk, for two years was commissary sergeant
of the Fourth Virginia regiment, and in October, 1895, was ap-
pointed captain and ordnance officer on the stafif of Col. C. A.
Nash. In February, 1897, he was elected captain of the Jackson
light infantry, Company E of the Fourth regiment, and in the war
with Spain was in the Third brigade. Second division. Seventh
army corps, Major-General Lee in command. Captain Nottingham
was married December 12, 1888, to Miss Minnie V. Mapp, of Bal-

Judge Adam Wade Nowlin, a prominent attorney of Lynch-
burg, Va., was born in Missouri in 1841, but was reared and edu-
cated in Virginia until he had reached his twentietli year, when
he entered the military service of the Confederate States. Before
the secession of Virginia he had become a member, in 1S60, of the
Lynchburg Home Guard, and with this command he was mustered
in in April, 1861, as Company G of the Eleventh Virginia infantry,
and with this regiment became part of the First Virginia brigade
of Beauregard's army, under command of James Longstreet, then
brigadier-general. He was introduced to the realities of war on
the plains of Manassas, participating in the action at Bull Run
and the main battle, called the First Manassas. Transferred then
to the peninsula, he fought at Williamsburg, early in May, i8(52,
and received a severe wound in the left leg. Upon the advance of


the enemy he was captured and sent to the Old Capitol prison, at
Washington, where he was held until paroled in the foUowitig
August, when he returned to his home. On being exchanged in
November, he at once reported to his regimental officers for duty,
and although unable to walk without the aid of crutches — which
in fact was his condition for four years after the injury was re-
ceived — he pleaded for permission to follow the flag, but was dis-
charged on account of disability in December. Thus ended his
service with the Eleventh regiment, but he was able, in the summer
of 1864, when Federal General Hunter was threatening Lynchburg,
to serve as second in command of the volunteer force of one
hundred and sixty men who annoyed Hunter no little during his
advance. At the end of the struggle, in April, 1865, he was paroled
at Rustburg, Campbell county, Va., and then quietly accepted the
verdict of war and devoted himself to the study of law. Two years
later he was admitted to the practice at Rustburg, Va., and earnestly
turned his whole energy into the professional channel in which
he has in the succeeding thirty years become so distinguished. In
1872, removing to Dallas, Tex., he was engaged there in profes-
sional duties for twelve years, within this period filling the position
of city attorney from 1872 to 1875, and the office of district judge,
by appointment of Gov. O. M. Roberts, from 1875 until his
resignation in 1876. He returned to his old home and his life-long
friends at Lynchburg, in 1884, and has successfully continued his
professional practice. He held the position of general counsel for
the Lynchburg & Durham railroad, from 1886 until its consolida-
tion with the Norfolk & Western, in 1892, since which date he has
acted as local attorney of the Durham division of that system.
For several years he has served as city attorney of Lynchburg.
Judge Nowlin is the son of Peyton W. Nowlin, a highly respected
planter, who died in i860, at the age of fifty-six years. The latter
was a native Virginian and a son of James Nowlin, who served in
the war of 1812 with the rank of major. The wife of Judge Nowlin
is Lutie M., daughter of the late Rev. Joseph Spriggs, of the Vir-
ginia conference. They were married in 1868, and have three
children: Percy C, Elmo P., and Viva M.

S. Walker Nowlin, a leading business man of Lynchburg, Va.,
was born at Oakville, Appomattox county, in 1843, where he passed
his childhood and youth until he had reached his eighteenth year,
when he entered the military service of the Confederacy. He be-
came a member, in February, 1861, of the Appomattox Invincibles,
a militia company formed for such service as the State might be
in need of, and with this command was mustered in as a private in
the Forty-fourth Virginia volunteers, the Invincibles being known
as Company A. His early service was in the West Virginia
<;ampaign of 1861, in which he acquitted himself with credit and
fought at Rich Mountain, July nth. After the latter engage-
ment he was taken sick with typhoid fever and confined two months
at the hospital in Staunton. Then being sent home during con-
valescence, he was unable to rejoin his command until March, 1862,
when he and his company re-enlisted for the war, and being trans-
ferred to Richmond, were ordered to Norfolk and there assigned,
as an independent company, to garrison duty at Craney island.
After the evacuation of the Norfolk district he went with his com-


pany to Richmond and was assigned to the artillery, forming part
of the Twentieth battalion, with which he served until, in 1864, he
was promoted ordnance-sergeant and assigned to duty on the
Brook road in Henrico county with the care of about 325 pieces
of artillery and large military stores. Here he remained until
January, 1865, having occasion meanwhile to be actively engaged
in defending the depot from an attack by Kilpatrick. In 1865 he
served at Fort Harrison, near Drewry's bluff, in defense of Rich-
mond, until the fort was evacuated, April 2d, when he joined in the
retreat as far as Sailor's Creek. In the battle at that place he was
captured, and subsequently suffered detention at Point Lookout
until June 19, 1865. After his release he returned to his home in
Appomattox county, and in the succeeding October, removed to
Lynchburg, where, with the exception of another brief stay at his
former home and at Baltimore, . he has continued to reside. In
1870 he went to Baltimore and was engaged in the wholesale grocery
business there until 1873, after which he established a branch store
in the same trade at Lynchburg. In January, 1874, he joined in
establishing the house of Nowlin Brothers & Bigbee, wholesale
grocery, liquor and commission merchants, establishing a business
which has been continued to the present day, and in which he has
been actively engaged from the beginning, though changes have
occurred in the membership of the firm associated with him, which
is now entitled Nowlin & Gibbs. Mr. Nowlin is an enterprising
and valuable citizen of Lynchburg and socially popular. He is a
member of the Masonic order and of St. Paul's church.

Addison N. Nuckols, M. D., of Danville, Va., was born in Han-
over county, June 20, 1844, the son of Rev. Harden D. Nuckols,
a Baptist clergyman. He is the youngest of five brothers who
served in the Confederate army. His brothers, Samuel R. and
Pettus H., were privates in the Hanover troop. General Wickham's
old cavalry company, and though wounded in the service, are still
living. This company was also known as the "Nuckols' command,"
thirty-four of the family being members. James M. was a quarter-
master-major, and Alpheus B. served in the Ashland artillery,
Longstreet's corps. Addison N. was educated at the Huguenot
Springs and the Green academies, but left school in the spring of
1862 to enlist in the Hanover artillery under Captain Nelson. He
fought with this command at Malvern Hill, but later in the year,
upon the consolidation of several batteries, he was transferred to
the Amherst artillery. Captain Kirkpatrick, with which he served
in the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Bristoe Station,
the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, Monocacy and all
the fights of Early's expedition against Washington, and the Shen-
andoah valley battles of Winchester, Middletown, Cedar Creek and
Fisher's Hill. At the latter battle he was one of three men, his
comrades being Frank Kinkle and Logan Lackey, who rescued
one of the guns from the Federals in the midst of a destructive fire.
After the fall of 1864 he served as courier, attached to the staff of
General Long. He was twice slightly wounded and several times
narrowly escaped capture. In 1869 Dr. Nuckols was graduated
in medicine at Richmond medical college, and during the next two
years he served as surgeon with the 'construction force of the
Chesapeake & Ohio railroad. Since 1879 he has been a prominent


physician of Danville. He is a member of Cabell-Graves camp,
Confederate Veterans. In 1873 he was married to Sallie Adams, of
Pittsylvania county, and they have seven children.

William A. O'Brien, of Lynchburg, now conspicuous in the
business and financial affairs of his city, had a gallant career in the
Confederate army as a member of the Latham <battery. He was
born at Lynchburg in 1842, and on April 23, 1861, left his home
as a member of the Lynchburg artillery, under Capt. H. G. Latham,
to participate in the Confederate war. His service continued until
the close of hostilities and was marked by fidelity and intrepid per-
formance of duty. He participated in the first battle of Manassas
with his battery, which was distinguished in the fighting against
the fiank movement of the Federals, and after taking part in the
battle of Williamsburg, in the spring of 1862, was disabled by
illness until just after the battle of Sharpsburg. He served with
the battery at Fredericksburg, then commanded by Captain (after-
ward General) Bearing, and subsequently was on duty with the
First corps of the army in the department of North Carolina and
Southeast Virginia, taking part in the actions at Plymouth, Little
Washington and New Bern. During the fight at Plymouth, N. C,
he and a comrade, Biyant Kelly, were distinguished for volunteer-
ing to cut away an embrasure in the face of a heavy fire from the
enemy, a deed performed with coolness and intrepidity, and for-
tunately without injury to themselves. Private O'Brien took part
in the fighting at Bermuda Hundred and Cold Harbor, in 1864,
and at the latter battle received a wound in the right hand which
disabled him for further service with his battery. He was on
detail with the quartermaster's department at Lynchburg for a
time, and subsequently acted as independent scout in that vicinity,
under General Colston, until the close of the war. Then returning
to civil life, he soon became interested in business enterprises, in
which he had notable success, and is now one of the most influ-
ential men of the city. He is connected with the Lynchburg cotton
mill company as a member of the executive committee, is vice-
president of the First National bank; was chairman of the finance
committee of the Commercial bank, now merged in the former;
and is a director of the Industrial society of Lynchburg.

James O'Connor, of West Point, Va., a veteran of Longstreet's
old brigade, army of Northern Virginia, was born in Ireland,
April 8, 1839, the son of John and Margaret (Vandelieu) O'Connor.
Coming to America with his parents in 1851, they settled at Rich-
mond, where the parents passed the remainder of their lives. Dur-
ing the war the father was frequently on duty with the home guard
at the Confederate capital. In April, 1861, James O'Connor en-
listed as a private in Company C of the First Virginia regiment
of infantry. Col. P. T. Moore commanding. This regiment was
assigned to the Fourth brigade. Gen. James Longstreet command-
ing, of Beauregard's army at Manassas Junction, and Private
O'Connor participated in the battle of Blackburn's Ford and
shared the duties of his brigade during the succeeding battle of
Manassas, July 21st. With this brigade, subsequently known by
the name of its later commander. General Kemper, he served until
near the close of the war, his prominent battles being Williams-
burg the Seven Days' battles. Second Manassas, Fredericksburg.


Spottsylvania, Culpeper and Chapin's Farm. After the latter fight
before Richmond, in September, 1864, he was put upon detailed
duty, and during the remainder of the Confederate occupation of
Richmond, was connected with wharf construction on the James
river. After the end of the conflict, until 1869, he had employment
upon a steamer running to Philadelphia, but since then he has been
in business for himself, since 1881 at West Point. He is a member
of John R. Cook camp. In 1862 Mr. O'Connor was married to
Catherine Murphy, and they have a son and two daughters living.
Colonel Charles Triplett O'Ferrall, thirty-ninth governor of Vir-
ginia, was distinguished in the Confederate service as an officer of
cavalry, as well in the more important encounters with the enemy
as in many daring forays and expeditions. He was born on a
farm in Frederick county, Va., October 21, 1840. His father, John
O'Ferrall, of Irish descent, was a soldier in the war of 1812, a
prominent business man and native of Berkeley county, and took
an active part in political affairs, representing his county several
terms in the house of delegates, and at the time of his death, holding
the office of clerk of the county and circuit courts. His mother,
who was a woman of great force of character, was of Scotch-Irish
descent and a daughter of John C. Green, a distinguished physician,
who married Eliza Campbell, of the well-known Scotch-Irish family
of that name, of the Shenandoah valley. In his childhood Gov-
ernor O'Ferrall manifested the active habits of mind and body
that have characterized his career, and in early manhood he was
distinguished for manly bearing and superb horsemanship, as well
as a remarkable aptitude for business and public affairs. In 1856, at
the age of fifteen, he was appointed clerk pro tempore upon the
death of his father, and two years later was elected by the people
for a term of six years. Long before this official trust had expired,
Virginia summoned her brave sons to arms for the defense of the
commonwealth, and young O'Ferrall, in the face of a strong Union
sentiment in his county, and though exempted from military duty,
promptly abandoned his official position and enlisted as a private
in the cavalry service. He was soon promoted sergeant, and then
lieutenant and then captain of Company I of the Twelfth Virginia
cavalry, Ashby's famous brigade. He participated in the opera-
tions of this command during a considerable part of the war, and
was in the battles or engagements of Kernstown, McDowell, Mid-
dletown. Mount Jackson, Harrisonburg, Cross Keys, Port Republic,
Cedar Mountain, Catlett Station, Groveton, Second Bull Run,
Poolesville, Brandy Station and Upperville, as well as innumerable
fierce skirmishes. At Poolesville he was wounded in the right
arm and shoulder in a saber fight, and at Upperville he was shot
through the left lung, while rallying his squadron under a heavy
fire of the enemy, and left for some time on the field for dead, and
his death was announced in the papers of the State. In the fall of
1863 he was made a major and soon a lieutenant-colonel in the
Twenty-third Virginia cavalry and took part in the operations in
the Shenandoah valley during 1864 and the spring of 1865, partici-
pating in the battles of Charlestown, New Market, Piedmont,
Lynchburg, Monocacy, the attack on Forts Stedman and Reno!
Opequon Creek and Fisher's Hill, in which last named battle he
-was seriously wounded in the right knee. In April, 1865, he was


in command of his regiment and all the Confederate cavalry in the
lower valley, and just at dawn on the morning after the surrender
of Lee, with forty-eight men, he attacked a Federal camp of over
three hundred cavalry near Woodstock, completely routing them
and capturing many horses and some prisoners. His regiment
with him in command held the last line, fought the last fight and
captured the last prisoner on Virginia soil; and when he received,
under a flag of truce from General Hancocli, commanding the Fed-
eral forces at Winchester, news of the surrender of Lee, with vol-
unteers from his regiment, he started to join Johnston's army, but
before he could reach it Johnston surrendered. During his ad-
venturous career he was eight times wounded. After the close of
hostilities he prepared himself for the practice of law, graduated
at Washington college, of which Robert E. Lee was president, and
began his professional labors at Harrisonburg. At the same time
he gave much of his time and energy to those political duties which
the commonwealth in her distress required from her sons, who
could eflfectively assist in the solution of the difficult problems of
that period. In this field his abilities were promptly recognized
and he was called to positions of the highest importance. He was
elected to the legislature from Rockingham county in 1871, subse-
quently was chosen judge of the county court for six years, and at
a later date was six times nominated for Congress, virtually by
acclamation, and returned each time by a large majority. During
the Forty-eighth Congress he was assigned to the committee on
commerce; in the Forty-ninth he was chairman of the committee
on mines and mining, and through four congresses was on the
elections committee, of which he was chairman for two terms and
when he resigned to become governor. Speaker Crisp was his as-
sociate on the commerce and elections committees for six years,
and a warm friendship existed between these two distinguished
representatives of the South. On August 17, 1893, he was nom-
inated by the Democrats for governor of Virginia, was elected by
an overwhelming vote and took his seat January i, 1894. Four
years later he retired from the office, after a successful administra-
tion, and resurned the practice of law at Richmond.

Captain William W. Old, a prominent attorney of Norfolk, ren-
dered conspicuous service throughout the entire war in the armies
of the Confederacy. He is a notable example of the sons of the
old families of Virginia, thoroughly American and devotedly Vir-
ginian, whose intelligence and bravery adorn the record of the
great struggle. He was born in Princess Anne county, November
17,1840, the son of Jonathan Whitehead Old, and a lineal descend-
ant of Edward Ould, who settled in Lower Norfolk county, Va.,
early in the seventeenth century. During the Indian wars previous
to the Revolution, and in that struggle itself, members of his family
gallantly served the commonwealth. Thomas Old, of that period,
and his kinsman, James Tooley, were members of the committee
of safety in Princess Anne county during the war of independence.
His mother, Elizabeth Anne Whitehurst, connects him with another
old and honorable Virginia family. Her father. Col. William White-
hurst, was for many years the presiding justice of Princess Anne
by commission from the governor. Captain Old studied in his
youth at the Norfolk academy, then under the superintendence!


of John B. Strange, who afterward lost his life, as a colonel in the
Confederate service at Sharpsburg. In i8ss, on account of a yellow
fever epidemic, Colonel Strange left Norfolk and established the
Albemarle military institute, where young Old studied three years.
In October, 1858, after a few months at the Broun & Tebbs
school in Albemarle county, he entered the university of Virginia,
where he was graduated as M. A., July 4, 1861. Already the war
had begun and the university volunteers had been organized at
the university, in which he held the rank of junior second lieu-
tenant. On the day of graduation they were mustered into the
Confederate service, and assigned to Wise's brigade, then operating
in West Virginia, where the company was on duty until disbanded
in the following December by order of the secretary of war.
Captain Old, determined to remain in the service, acted a short
time as volunteer aide upon the staff of General Wise, and then
enlisted as a private in the Fourteenth Virginia regiment, com-
manded by Colonel Hodges. He was wounded in the second day's
fight at Seven Pines, June ist, and in August was commissioned
captain and assistant quartermaster and assigned to Battery No. 9,
of the Richmond defenses, under command of Col. James Howard.
He served there until May, 1863, when he was ordered to Jack^
son's old division, then commanded by Maj.-Gen. Edward John-

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 123 of 153)