Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 127 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 127 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

S. C, and assigned by Commodore Ingram to the Nashville,
commanded by his father, in which he served until the return to
Beaufort. He was then assigned to the ram Louisiana at New
Orleans, but before he could reach there the city was evacuated and
he returned to Richmond and experienced a short service on the
new Virginia, in the James river. Then making the voyage to
Liverpool he was assigned by Commodore Maury to the Rappa-
hannock. His cruise in this vessel was abruptly terminated by its
detention at Calais, France, after which he returned to the Con-
federate States, landing at Wilmington, and was afterward engaged
in running the blockade from Wilmington to Halifax, until Butler's
attack on Fort Fisher, when he participated in the defense of that
stronghold and was slightly wounded by the explosion of an Arm-
strong gun. During the succeeding attack by Generals Schofield
and Terry, he rendered gallant service and was seriously wounded
in the shoulder and head. On his recovery from these injuries,
which disabled him for a considerable period, he served for sev-
eral months in the gunboat Roanoke on the James river, until the
boat was sunk after an action with a Federal battery at Graveyard
Reach. He subsequently went to Greensboro, N. C., and partici-
pated in the surrender of General Johnston's army. This thrilling
and adventurous chapter of his life being finished with the down-


fall of the Confederate government, Mr. Pegram turned to the
duties of civil life and locating at Portsmouth, entered the service
of the Seaboard & Roanoke railroad company. In 1868 he left
this employment to become the agent at Portsmouth of the St.
Louis Mutual life insurance company, until 1871, when the Life in-
surance company of Virginia having been formed, with its office at
Petersburg, Va., he became its assistant secretary. A few years later
he was promoted secretary of the company and in 1880 the office
of the company was removed to Richmond, where he now resides.
He has effectively co-operated in the management of this organ-
ization, whose success is an eloquent illustration of the benefits of
home insurance in the South. Mr. Pegram maintains a lively inter-
est in the fortunes of his old comrades, and is a member of R. E.
Lee camp. Confederate Veterans, and one of the board of visitors
of Lee Camp Soldiers' Home.

Captain Richard Gregory Pegram, a captain of artillery in the
army of Northern Virginia, and since then prominent as an attor-
ney at Richmond, Va., was born at Petersburg, February 14, 1829.
His grandfather, John Pegram, a native of Dinwiddle county, who
died in 1832, held the office of United States marshal for Virginia
during the time of the famous trial of Aaron Burr, on the charge of
treason, at Richmond, in 1807. His father, Richard G. Pegram, died
in 1829 at the age of twenty-nine years, so that Captain Pegram
was reared without a father's care. His education was taken in
hand by his uncle, Robert Birckett, a graduate of Cambridge, and
famous in that day as a teacher. Being trained for the legal pro-
fession he was admitted to the bar in 1850, and at once embarked in
the practice at Petersburg. In August, 1861, he entered the service
of the Confederate States as a private in Company E of the Twelfth
Virginia infantry, and remained in that command until May, 1862,
when he was promoted first lieutenant of Branch's artillery. After
gallant service in that rank until 1863 he was promoted captain of
the battery, a command which he held with ability and faithfulness
in duty until he dismounted his six guns at Appomattox. Notable
among the engagements in which he took part were those at Har-
per's Ferry, the first Fredericksburg, Bottom's Bridge, Va., the
defense of the Petersburg lines, and the final action at Sailor's
Creek. His battery was stationed at that point of the Confederate
lines before Petersburg which were mined by the enemy, and at
the explosion of "the Crater" his battery was blown up, killing
two officers and seventeen men. After the close of the war Captain
Pegram resumed the practice of his profession, first at Petersburg,
and since 1881 at Richmond. Before the war he held the office of
commonwealth's attorney at Petersburg, and on his return was
re-elected, but was subsequently removed from office for political

Colonel William J. Pegram began his career in the Confederate
army as lieutenant of artillery. His first affair with the enemy was
near Marlboro point, at the mouth of Potomac creek, where the
Confederate batteries were engaged with two Union gunboats.
Col. William Cary of the Thirtieth Virginia commanded in this
affair and he reports as follows: "The officers in charge of the
pieces and the men behaved with proper calmness and deliberation.
They were Lieutenants Hagerty, Pegram and Dabney." In the


spring of 1862 Pegram had been promoted to the position of cap-
tain and had command of a battery which was engaged in the
battles around Richmond in June and July. In his report of the
battle of Malvern Hill, Gen. A. R. Wright says; "Meanwhile
Captam Pegram's battery was ordered up and taking position 200
yards to the left of Moorman opened a well-directed iire upon the
enemy, which told with fearful effect upon them. But this chivalric
commander, by the retirement of Moorman's battery was left alone
to contend with the whole force of the enemy's artillery. Man-
fully those gallant men maintained the unequal conflict until their
severe losses disabled them from using but a single piece; even
then, with one single piece, they firmly held their ground and con-
tinued to pour a deadly fire upon the enemy's line until, seeing the
utter hopelessness of the conflict, I ordered them to cease firing
until I could get more guns in action." Captain Pegram was
actively engaged at Cedar Run, Second Manassas, Harper's Ferry
and Sharpsburg, at which last named battle he was for the first
time wounded. He was again ready for the fray at Fredericksburg
and at Chancellorsville he was in the thickest of the fight, where
he commanded an artillery battalion, having now risen to the rank
of major. E. P. Alexander, brigadier-general of artillery, in his
report of this battle, pays a glowing tribute to "Col. Thomas H.
Carter, Col. H. P. Jones, Major Mcintosh, Maj. William J. Peg-
ram and Maj. Frank Huger, commanding battalions, and the offi-
cers and men of their commands." He adds: "To Major Pegram
and Lieutenant Chamberlayne is specially due the credit of the first
footing in the field on the right." When the campaign of 1864
began, Pegram had been promoted to lieutenant-colonel of artil-
lery. Through all the battles of the Overland campaign, and
around Petersburg and Richmond, Pegram was ever ready for the
performance of every duty, regardless of hardship or peril. Like
his gallant corps commander, A. P. Hill, he fell in the last desper-
ate fighting near Petersburg and did not live to see the starry
cross furled in defeat.

William Dorsey Pender, of Norfolk, prominent among the
younger attorneys of that city, is the son of Maj .-Gen. William
Dorsey Pender, of North Carolina, whose distinguished service in
the Confederate States army was terminated by mortal wounds
received in the second day's battle at Gettysburg, and a sketch of
whose life and services appears in volume IV of this work. He was
born in North Carolina, May 28, 1861, and received his academic
education at "Tarboro. Having determined to follow the legal pro-
fession he attended the law school of the university of Virginia
during one summer, and in the fall of 1887, having passed a suc-
cessful examination before the supreme court of appeals of Vir-
ginia, was licensed to practice. He made his home and the theater
of his future efiorts at Norfolk in 1888, and has since been actively
and successfully engaged in the practice of his profession. He
was married November 11, 1891, to Alice, daughter of Redden S.
Williams, of Edgecombe county, N. C, and they have one child,
who bears the honored name of William Dorsey Pender.

Colonel A. S. Pendleton began his military career with the first
organization of Virginia forces. At the first battle of Manassas
he was lieutenant and ordnance officer of the Stonewall brigade.


and was mentioned in Jackson's report o£ that battle for "valuable
services" rendered. When Jackson was assigned to the Valley
district with headquarters at Winchester, Lieutenant Pendleton was
on his staff as assistant adjutant-general. In that capacity he served
in the winter campaign to Bath, Hancock, and Romney, and was
again mentioned in terms of commendation by General Jackson
for the faithful performance of duty. The campaign was one of
great hardship and Jackson and his staff shared all the privations
of the men in the ranks. In the Valley campaign of 1862 Lieutenant
Pendleton was still Jackson's assistant adjutant-general and was
complimented in the official report of his chief as "an officer emi-
nently qualified for his duties." He was with Jackson in the mem-
orable Seven Days' fights and was again thanked in the official
report. Through the subsequent campaign in Virginia, ending
with Chancellorsville, he continued to serve on the staff of General
Jackson, having been promoted to the rank of captain at Fredericks-
burg and to that of major at Chancellorsville. When Jackson fell
J. E. B. Stuart was placed in command of his corps for the rest
of the battle and in the report he says that Major Pendleton
"acted with great heroism and efficiency when he joined me." He
was put in charge of the escort when the body of Jackson was
borne to Richmond and then to Lexington for burial. In the
Gettysburg campaign he served as aide to General Ewell, who said
in his report: "Colonel Pendleton's knowledge of his duties, his
experience and activity relieved me of much hard work." He sub-
sequently served on the staff of General Rodes and then on that
of General Early. At Fisher's Hill, September 22, 1864, Colonel
Pendleton was killed. During the winter of 1862 and 1863, while
Jackson was camped near Moss Neck, Colonel Pendleton met Miss
Kate Corbin. The young people formed a mutual attachment
and were married in the spring of 1863.

Major Robert Nelson Pendleton, an influential citizen of Wythe-
ville, who rendered efficient service to the Confederate cause as an
officer of the Sixth Virginia cavalry, was born in Louisa county,
February 4, 1842. From that county his parents removed when
he was four years old to Jefferson county, and tlience to Wythe
county. He is a great-grandson of Gen. Thomas Nelson, of Vir-
ginia, a signer of the declaration of independence, member of the
continental congress, brigadier-general and commander-in-chief of
Virginia forces in the Revolutionary war, and successor of Thomas
Jefferson as governor of Virginia. Mr. Pendleton's grandmother
was Alice Grymes Page, daughter of Gov. John Page, of Vir-
ginia, whose first husband was Dr. John Augustine Smith, of
Yorktown, who became chief surgeon of General Nelson's brigade
in Washington's army. He was the nephew of Daniel and Mary
Moore, of Yorktown, whose residence was occupied by Lord Corn-
wallis as headquarters during his occupation of that town. The
chairs used by Cornwallis and Washington at their meeting to ar-
range terms of capitulation, and many other articles of great his-
toric interest from that house, are still treasured by the members
of the family. Major Pendleton is a nephew of Gen. William N.
Pendleton, chief of artillery, army of Northern Virginia. Another
nephew, Capt. Dudley D. Pendleton, served as adjutant-general of
artillery under his uncle. Major Pendleton went into the Con-


federate war as a member of the Liberty Hall volunteers, an in-
fantry company, but did not serve on account of poor health. On
March ip, 1862, he enlisted as a private in the Sixth cavalry regi-
ment, and during the remainder of the war was identified with
the brilliant record of his command, under Stuart, Fitzhugh Lee,
Munford, Rosser and Payne. While a private he discharged for
some time the duties of a captain, and in the fall of 1864 he was
commissioned first lieutenant, regular Confederate States army,
from which he was promoted major, just before the surrender at
Appomattox. During his service he participated in forty-four cav-
alry engagements, and five horses were killed under him, but he
was never wounded, his only serious injuries being occasioned when
he was thrown to the ground by the killing of his horse at Stras-
burg, during Jackson's Valley campaign, and ridden over by the
cavalry and knocked senseless. He did not surrender at Appo-
mattox, but escaped from that field with his brigade. After the
conclusion of hostilities Major Pendleton resided in Jeflferson
county, W. Va., until 1871, when he removed to Wytheville. There
he has served as magistrate, and under Governor O'Ferrall's ad-
ministration received the appointment of director of the State
asylum. He was married in 1869 to Miss Fannie Gibson, and they
have four children: Lucy, Sue, Kate and William.

Charles Clifton Penick, a gifted son of Virginia, now of Rich-
mond, Va., a bishop in the service of the Protestant Episcopal
church, entered the army of Northern Virginia June 15, 1861, a
few months after his seventeenth birthday, and shared the fortunes
of his command during the entire four years of warfare. He was
born in Charlotte county, Va., December 9, 1843, and passed his
boyhood days mainly in Pittsylvania county, near Danville. At
the latter place he attended the military academy a year, going
from there to enter Hampden-Sidney college, where he had been
studying but three months when the great unrest in the South
culminated in the ordinances of secession of some of the States. He
went to his home in December, i860. On April 10, 1861, when it
became evident that Virginia would be involved in the impend-
ing struggle, he enlisted in the service of the State and was mus-
tered in as a private in Company D of the Thirty-eighth Vir-
ginia infantry. The spirit which animated these rapidly gath-
ering Virginia regiments, a spirit that he fully shared, has
been eloquently expressed in his own words: "We fought not
for greed, nor gold; but in deepest conviction to principles
and for what we thought were assuredly our rights." In the
organization of his regiment Mr. Penick was appointed quar-
termaster-sergeant of the Thirty-eighth Virginia regiment,
and in this capacity he served during the whole of the
war. During the major part of the four years the regiment served
in Armistead's brigade of Pickett's division and made a glorious
record for endurance and bravery. Among the battles in which
Mr. Penick participated in this command, the most prominent are
these: First Manassas, Seven Pines, Malvern Hill, Warrenton
Springs, Second Manassas, Harper's Ferry, Sharpsburg, Fred-
ericksburg, the Suffolk expedition, Gettysburg, Williamsport,
Drewry's Bluff, May 10 to 16, 1864, the Second Cold Harbor, Five
Forks Sailor's' Creek and Appomattox, where he joined in the


surrender of the army. After this event he went to Halifax county,
Va., and engaged in teaching school one year. But having de-
termined to pursue the sacred calling, he then entered the theo-
logical seminary near Alexandria, Va., where he was graduated in
June, 1869, and ordained in the Protestant Episcopal church. Sub-
sequently he officiated as rector of the church at Bristol, Tenn.,
until August, 1870. Thence he was called to Maryland, and offi-
ciated at Mt. Savage until March, 1873, and at the church of the
Messiah, Baltimore, as rector, until 1877. Profoundly impressed
with the duty of the church toward the negro race, and realizing
deeply the situation of the colored people, suddenly endowed with
the potency of citizenship without training, and placed in compe-
tition with the magnificently endowed industry of the North with-
out a knowledge of its methods of work, he determined to enter
this field of labor. First, he accepted the appointment of bishop
of "Cape Palmas and parts adjacent," and went to West Africa
and served in that region until October, 1883, when he resigned
on account of ill health in the tropics. On his return he ofificiated
as rector of St. Andrew's church, at Louisville, Ky., until June i,
1893, when he was appointed general agent for the church com-
mission for work among the colored people of the United States.
In November, i8g6, he went as rector to St. Mark's church, Rich-
mond, Va. Amid his other occupations he still cherishes the
memories of the associations of 1861-65. As he well said in a
memorable address at the decoration of the Confederate graves
at Louisville in 1888, "We strip off the armor from those heroic
bosoms, and way back of the battle-heated steel, we find hearts —
hearts that we knew and loved, for they were tender and lovable."
But he endeavors to teach that "War is an incident in the history
of man; love is his eternal nature and destiny." The father of Mr.
Penick, Edwin A. Penick, was born in Prince Edward county, Va.,
in 1821, and was a farmer by occupation. He entered the Con-
federate army in April, 1862, as a private in Company D of the
Thirty-eighth Virginia infantry, and laid down his life for the
cause, dying two days after the battle of Sharpsburg from wounds
received in that action. The maternal grandfather of Mr. Penick,
Clifton Hamner, also a native of Virginia, served in the war of
1812 as a lieutenant of cavalry.

Lieutenant James G. Penn, a prominent leaf tobacco dealer and
exporter, and a business man of Danville, Va., was born in Patrick
county, November 14, 1845, the son of Thomas J. and Lucinda C.
Penn, of that county. After preparatory studies at the Greenville
academy, which was named in honor of his maternal grandfather,
he entered the Virginia military institute in September, 1861. He
was connected with that institute as a cadet until the fall of 1864,
participating in all the military operations of the cadet corps, in-
cluding their famous fight at New Market, and was with General
Early at Lynchburg, afterward serving in the trenches at Peters-
burg. A regiment being formed of Federal prisoners who had
taken the oath of allegiance, it was officered mainly by the cadets,
and young Penn received a commission as first lieutenant in this
command. Ordered into South Carolina the regiment joined the
army under Gen. J. E. Johnston, fought at Bentonville and was
surrendered at Greensboro. Lieutenant Penn was paroled at Dan-


ville in May following. For this service he and his comrades were
awarded a diploma by the institute. Subsequently he studied law
and was admitted to the bar, but did not engage in the practice,
turning his attention to commercial pursuits, first at Green.vboro,
N. C, and then at Danville, where in 1872 he formed a partnership
in the leaf tobacco business and trade with J. H. Pemberton. In
this line of industry he has become one of the leading spirits,
and has one of the most extensive factories in the South. He is
also vice-president of the Commercial bank, a director of the famous
Riverside cotton mills, and is prominently associated with other
firjancial and manufacturing institutions. In 1872 he was married
to Sallie E. Pemberton, daughter of Thomas W. Pemberton, of
Richmond, Va., now deceased, and after her death in 1882 he mar-
ried Sallie M. Johnston, of Madison, Ga., in 1885. Four children
are living: Mary K., wife of Barnes Rucker Penn; John Pember-
ton, James G. Jr. and Annie Lee.

Alexander D. Perrow, for many years tobacco inspector at
Lynchburg, Va., was born in Campbell county, Va., in 1837. He
was reared and educated in that county, and there, a year before
the outbreak of the war, became a member of the Southern Guard,
a volunteer military organization. With this company he entered
the active service of the State April 21, 1861, the company being
assigned to the Eleventh Virginia infantry as Company B, under
Col. Samuel Garland. With this regiment, in the brigade com-
manded successively by Beauregard, Longstreet, A. P. Hill and
J. L. Kemper, Private Perrow did a soldier's duty in the engage-
ments at Blackburn's Ford, Seven Pines (where he was slightly
wounded), the Seven Days' campaign before Richmond, and the
battle of Fredericksburg in December, 1862. At the battle of
Frayser's Farm, during the campaign Ijefore Richmond, he was
captured by the enemy, and subsequently was sent from the field
to Fort Delaware, where he was held as a prisoner of war for the
period of three months. Then, being exchanged, he rejoined his
regiment in September, 1862. In December, 1863, he was exchanged
to Company G of the Second Virginia cavalry, commanded by
Col. T. T. Munford, and during the remainder of the war he par-
ticipated in the operations of this regiment, a part of Fitz Lee's
division. Among the cavalry battles in which he took part, were
the affairs at Edenburg and Covington, Va., and the battle of
Kelly's Ford, March 17, 1863, when he received a severe gunshot
wound through the leg. At the time of the surrender he was de-
tailed to obtain horses in his native county, each soldier furnishing
his own horse, and consequently was never paroled. He engaged
in farming in Campbell county until 1881, and then removed to
Lynchburg, where he has subsequently resided, and is a valued
citizen. He has served as tobacco inspector since i88i, and has
also held the positions of school commissioner, magistrate and
other minor offices, and is connected with the Masonic order._

Colonel William E. Peters, a distinguished cavalry soldier of
the Confederate service, was born in Bedford county, Va., August
18, 1829, the son of Elisha and Cynthia (Turner) Peters, and was
educated at Emory and Henry college, university of Virginia and
the university of Berlin, Prussia. On the 17th of April, t86i, he
enlisted as a private in the cavalry troop known as Smyth Dra-
Va 70


goons, which became Company A of the Eighth Virginia cavalry
regiment. He was elected first lieutenant of ^ this company imme-
diately afterward, and upon his company's joining the forces of
General Floyd in southeast Virginia, he was appointed in August,
1861, adjutant-general of Floyd's command. In this capacity he
served during the campaign in the Kanawha valley during the fall
of that year. He did not accompany this command to Kentucky, ■
but in the winter of 1861-62 was promoted lieutenant-colonel of
the Forty-fifth Virginia infantry, a part of Heth's old brigade. He
fought a successful engagement at the mouth of the Blue Stone,
West Virginia, February 8, 1862, also participated in the aflair at
Princeton, May ist. In his report of the battle of Giles Court House,
May loth, General Heth, commanding the army of New River,
reported that "Lieutenant-Colonel Peters, commanding Forty-
fifth Virginia regiment, displayed much coolness and gallantry,
leading his men in the thickest of the fight." Subsequently he
commanded a regiment of the Virginia State line under General
Floyd in southwest Virginia, which he recruited and reorganized
in the spring of 1863 and it was mustered into the regular service
as the Twenty-first Virginia cavalry, of which he was given com-
mand, with the rank of colonel. This was assigned to the brigade
of Gen. W. E. Jones, and took part in the operations in southwest
Virginia, and Longstreet's campaign in Georgia, and from 1863
was a part of the army of Northern Virginia. He fought with
Jones at Piedmont, where the latter was killed, and the brigade
was next commanded by Gen. Bradley T. Johnson, with whom he
served in the raid through Maryland to Washington. During the
raid to Chambersburg, Pa., he occupied the town with his regi-
ment, and was ordered to burn it, upon the failure of the citizens
to pay the levy made, but refused on the ground that the town was
filled with non-combatants. He was put under arrest, but released
within the hour. In the disaster which overtook this expedition
at Moorefield, August 6th, he was distinguished for gallantry, in
command of the line which checked the pursuit of the enemy, but
fell with a shot through both lungs. He was reported as mortally
wounded by General Averille, and in consequence was left upon the
field. Nevertheless, with the help of a robust constitution, he was
about again in a month, and resumed command of his regiment in

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 127 of 153)