Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 130 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 130 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

ber of the Methodist church, in the Masonic order has member-
ship in the Knights Templar and lodge of perfection, and is prom-
inent in the Knights of Pythias. On May 22, 1862, he was mar-
ried to Aurelia M. Nicholson, daughter of Dr. Lemuel P. Nichol-
son, who died of yellow fever at Portsmouth in 1855.


John J. A. Powell, of Wytheville, now a prominent lawyer, and
distinguished in public affairs, enjoyed the honor, in his youth, of
service in two military commands of more than ordinary fame,
the cadet corps of the Virginia military institute and Mosby's
cavalry. He was born near Yellow Tavern, Henrico county, in
1846, and in 1863 entered the military institute, becoming a mem-
ber of the cadet corps commanded by Colonel Shipp. In May,
1863, the cadets were called out by General Breckinridge to meet
the invasion of the valley by General Sigel, and Powell shared
the exhausting march of the boys to New Market, where they
met the enemy, and after fighting all day in the mud and rain with
the pluck and intrepidity of veterans, had the satisfaction of utterly
routing the Federals. After the destruction of the college build-
ings by Hunter's raiders, he was with the cadets at Richmond,
studying and fighting in the trenches, until December, 1864, when
he enlisted in Company G, Forty-third Virginia cavalry battalion,
Col. John S. Mosby commanding. He participated in the ad-
venturous career of this noted, command through the winter of
1864 and spring of 1865, until 'it was finally disbanded at Salem,
Fauquier county, where Private Powell heard the farewell address
of the daring commander. With the return of peace Mr. Powell
busied himself for some time as a farmer, and then undertook the
study of law. Gaining admission to the bar he established himself
at Wytheville, where he has had a successful career in his profes-
sion. Before removing to that place he was a resident of Fluvanna
county, which he represented in the Virginia house of delegates
during the regular session of 1885-86, and the special session of

Lieutenant Robert Simmons Powell, M. D., now a prominent
physician and land-owner of Brunswick county, had embarked
in the profession of medicine a few years before the outbreak of
war, but readily abandoned this to enter the military service of
Virginia in her hour of need. He became second lieutenant of the
company of Capt. T. B. Robinson, which was assigned as Com-
pany G to the Twenty-first regiment Virginia infantry. Col. Wil-
liam Gilham. With this command he served in the West Virginia
campaign under Loring in the summer and fall of 1861, and in ad-
dition to the duties of 'his rank, devoted his medical training to
the amelioration of the suffering soldiers, who were terribly af-
flicted with measles and typhoid fever owing to the difficulty of
obtaining wholesome food and the incessant cold rains. At Val-
ley mountain, while in command of a guard for the ammunition
train, he was himself so exposed to the inclement weather that he
succumbed to the prevalent sickness and lay for some time in a
hut in the mountains. Gen. R. E. Lee finally came to his bedside,
and ordered him carried to Camp Lee, where and at Bath island,
he lay for some time in hospital. He then, on the advice of the
surgeon, sent in his resignation, and when sufficiently recovered
took charge of the sick of his home county, under the war regula-
tions. Two brothers of Dr. Powell were in the service: Charles,
of the same company, who was wounded at Chancellorsville and
captured at Spottsylvania and held as a prisoner of war at Point
Lookout and Elmira; and James W., who enlisted in 1864 at the
age of seventeen years and served to the end. Dr. Powell con-
Va 71


tinued his professional career for some time after the close of the
war, but gradually retired, giving his attention entirely to his very
extensive estates and milling industries. He has been active in
public affairs, but has not accepted office, save one term in the
Virginia house of delegates. In 1866 he was married to Ellen V.,
daughter of Col. Daniel Huff.

Captain Robert J. i'reston, of Marion, Va., was born near Abing-
don, Washington county, January 25, 1841. At the time of the
secession of Virginia he was a student at Emory-Henry college,
but he immediately left his studies and repairing to his home en-
listed in Capt. James Campbell's company and was elected first
lieutenant of this organization. The Washington Independents
and another company being ordered to Richmond, he resigned his
lieutenancy and, with several of his company, re-enlisted as a pri-
vate in the Washington Independents. The Independents were as-
signed to the Thirty-seventh Virginia infantry regiment of Gen-
eral Taliaferro's brigade, Col. Samuel V. Fulkerson commanding,
which he accompanied to northwest Virginia, joining the com-
mand of General Gamett. He participated in the fight at Laurel
Hill, and the skirmishes on the retreat, including that near Car-
rick's Ford, in which Garnett fell, finally reaching Monterey,
where the command was reorganized. The next engagement was
at Alleghany mountain, after which the regiment joined the army
under Gen. Stonewall Jackson at Winchester, took part in the
Bath expedition, and fought at Kernstown and the succeeding
battles of the Valley campaign of 1862, in which Taliaferro's bri-
gade participated. Under Early he marched through Maryland,
participating in the fights at Monocacy and the attack on Wash-
ington, etc. On the return to the valley he was transferred to
Company C of the Twenty-first Virginia cavalry, commanded by
Col. William E. Peters, which he had assisted in organizing. In
the rank of first lieutenant of this company he participated in the
southwestern Virginia and east Tennessee campaigns of Gen. W.
E. Jones, until the latter was killed at Piedmont in June, 1864.
After this battle Lieutenant Preston was promoted captain. He
took part in the operations of McCausland's brigade in the expe-
dition through Maryland against Washington, and the raid to
Chambersburg, where Colonel Peters, with the Twenty-first, oc-
cupied the town, but refused to apply the torch. Escaping the
disaster at Moorefield, Captain Preston served under Rosser in
Early's Valley campaign and around Richmond, and after the re-
treat to Appomattox was among those who cut their way through
the Federal lines with General Rosser. Later he was paroled at
Abingdon, closing a gallant military career in which he participated
in fifty-four engagements. Two years afterward, having taken up
the study of medicine, he was graduated at the university of Vir-
ginia. He practiced in a New York hospital nearly two years, 1867-
1868, and then made his home at Abingdon until 1887, when he
was elected first assistant physician of the Southwestern State hos-
pital for the insane, at Marion. The following year he was elected
superintendent. Dr. Preston was married in 1875 to Miss Martha
E. Sheffey, and they have two children: Eleanor Fairman and
Robert Sheffey.

Walter C. Preston, a veteran of the artillery of the army of


Northern Virginia, was born in Greenbrier county, now within
the borders of West Virginia, in the year 1841. He was reared
in his native county and given a good education at the university
of Virginia, whence he entered the military service in July, 1861,
as a member of the University Volunteers, an organization
which was assigned to the Fifty-ninth Virginia regiment of in-
fantry. He served as a private with this command until Decem-
ber following, when the company was disbanded. He then en-
listed as a private in the Albemarle artillery, and continued with
that organization until disabled by wounds. He participated in
the battles of Cold Harbor and Malvern Hill, of the Peninsular
campaign, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Winchester and Get-
tysburg, and Spottsylvania Court House. In the course of the
several days' battle at the latter point in May, 1864, he received
a wound in the left arm which necessitated amputation, and put
an end to his service in the field. He was at the same time cap-
tured, and was afterward confined at the Old Capitol prison, El-
mira, and Point Lookout, until December, when he was trans-
ported by ship to Savannah and exchanged. After the close of
hostilities he engaged in teaching school, but two years later he
began farming and continued in that occupation until 1889, since
when he has given his attention to educational work again, making
his home at Orange Court House. In 1872 he was married to Miss
Sidney Davis, daughter of Gen. A. W. G. Davis, of Mississippi,
and they have two sons grown to manhood: Alfred and John

J. B. Prince, judge of the Southampton county court, was one
of the gallant cadets of the Virginia military institute who par-
ticipated with credit in the war of the Confederacy. He was born
in Southampton county, August 18, 1844, the son of Joseph H.
Prince, an attorney who represented Southampton county in the
Virginia house of delegates and was descended from one of the
oldest families of Virginia. The wife of the latter, and mother of
Judge Prince, was Elizabeth B., daughter of Joseph W. Claud, also
a native of Virginia. At the outbreak of the war Judge Prince
was pursuing his youthful studies and he received a military train-
ing at the Virginia military institute, which fitted him, in 1864,
for important service in the Confederate army. He was assigned
to ordnance duty on the staff of Gen. Wade Hampton and was
associated with that officer during his command of the cavalry
of the army of Northern Virginia and his participation in the op-
erations against Shennan in die Carolinas. Judge Prince rendered
efficient service with the cavalry during 1864 and 1865, finally sur-
rendering at Greensboro, N. C. He was paroled April 10, 1865,
after which he returned to Virginia and resumed his studies. De-
ciding to embrace the profession of law he entered the university
of Virginia in the law department and was graduated in 1867. He
then made his home at Courtland and embarked in the practice in
which he has since continued with notable success. During his
career as an attorney he has enjoyed an extensive and lucrative
practice in the courts of Greenesville, Southampton and Sussex
counties. For thirteen years he served as commonwealth attorney
of Southampton county, held the office of clerk of the circuit and
county courts during four years, and in 1891 was called to the


bench as judge of the Southampton county court, a position in
which he has been distinguished for judicial learning and impar-
tial judgment. In 1876 he participated as a delegate in the national
convention which nominated Samuel J. Tilden for the presidency.
Judge Prince is an active member of the Baptist church and of
the Masonic order. In 1877 he was married to Martha F., daughter
of John Drewry, a prominent merchant and farmer. She died
June 21, 1896, leaving two children: J. B., Jr., now a student of
law at the university of Virginia, and Bessie R., a student at Nor-
folk college.

Lieutenant James A. Pulley, of Petersburg, who made a worthy
record in the army of Northern Virginia, was born in Mecklen-
burg county in 1840, the son of William Pulley, who died previous
to the war. At the outbreak of war he was attending college in
Brunswick county, but left his studies to enlist May 14, 1861, in
Company K of the Fourteenth Virginia infantry regiment. He
entered the service as corporal, but soon won promotion to second
lieutenant by his soldierly bearing and courage in battle. He par-
ticipated in the early operations on the peninsula and fought in
Armistead's brigade at Williamsport, Seven Pines and the Seven
Days' battles. He was wounded at Seven Pines and again at Mal-
vern Hill, where his command was in the heat of the action. In
this battle he had command of twenty-one men, of whom all but
one were killed or wounded in the desperate assault upon the Fed-
eral position. Lieutenant Pulley received a severe wound in the
hand, losing one finger, and was not able to return to his com-
mand until just before the battle of Fredericksburg, in which he
participated. He subsequently took part in the Pennsylvania cam-
paign, and at Williamsport, in command of his company, was
distinguished in a successful charge upon the Federals who were
attempting to capture the wagon trains of the Confederate army.
His subsequent service was rendered on the lines about Richmond
and Petersburg, where he continued until the battle of Five Forks,
soon before the evacuation. In this fight he commanded his com-
pany and participating in an attack upon the enemy, was cap-
tured. He was subsequently confined as a prisoner of war. at
Johnson's island, Ohio, until June 21, 1865. After his return to
Virginia he engaged iii farthing for several years at Brunswick,
and then removed to Petersburg and embarked in the grocery
trade, in which he has met with gratifying success. He held for a
considerable time the office of commissioner of revenue of Bruns-
wick county. In 1863 he was married to Miss Mary E. Wright,
and they have six children living.

Lieutenant Samuel H. PuUiam, of Richmond, private and lieu-
tenant, C. S. A., was bqrn in Richmond in 1841, and was reared
in the city and educated at Richmond college and the university of
Virginia. He left the latter institution and suspende4 his educa-
tion in April, 1862, to enter the Confederate service. His enlist-
ment was as a private in Martin's battery of light artillery. Two
or three months later he was promoted orderly-sergeant, and in
October, 1863, he was raised to the rank of first lieutenant, in
which he served until the close of the war. His service was mostly
in the vicinity of Richmond, during 1862, and from October, 1862,
to the fall of 1863, in southeastern Virginia and North Carolina.


In the spring of 1863 he participated in the siege of Suflolk, and
afterward was engaged at Drewry's bluflf and in the defense of
Petersburg against Grant, taking part in many artillery actions.
On the day before the surrender he took part in a sharp struggle
with Sheridan's cavalry at Appomattox, and on the following day,
receiving news of the surrender, his company was disbanded. In
the fall of 1865 Lieutenant PuUiam made his home at Richmond
again, where he has continued to reside, and engaging in the in-
surance business, has been notably successful. As a business man
and a citizen he enjoys the highest esteem and confidence. On
repeated occasions he has been elected to the city council, and in
1877-79 represented his city in the legislature of the State. He
maintains a membership in R. E. Lee camp. No. i, of Confed-
erate Veterans.

John B. Purcell, a well-known business man of Richmond, was
born in that city in 1849. On July 3, 1863, at the age of fourteen
years, he entered the service of the Confederate States as a private
in the Third Virginia battery, under command of John McAnerny,
in Custis Lee's brigade. With this command he served until Feb-
ruary, r86s, when he was discharged, and then appointed vidette
to the Virginia military institute. In the latter service he was
engaged until the close of the war. Among the affairs with the
veteran troops of the enemy in which this young soldier was en-
gaged, are the fight at Green's Farm in repelling Dahlgren's raid,
and the engagement on the Brook road in May, 1864. From Sep-
tember, 1864, until the close of his service with the battery, he
served as orderly-sergeant. After the return of peace he entered
the Virginia military academy for the completion of his education,
and was graduated in 1868. Returning then to Richmond he en-
gaged in the drug business, which he has followed since that time
with much success. For two years he has held the rank of colonel
in the Virginia State troops, in command of the First regiment.
He is a member of R. E. Lee camp, U. C. V.

Captain Silvanus J. Quinn, who since 1866 has been identified
officially with the municipal affairs of Fredericksburg, is a native
of Georgia, born near Perry, Houston county, March 8, 1837. His
father, a native of North Carolina, served under General Jack-
son in the war of 1812, participating in the battle of New Orleans,
afterward served five years in the United States army, married
Sarah Bryan Pierce, who was born in Georgia in 1810, and then
settled in that State as a farmer. His six sons, James Hunter,
William Bryan, John Blackstone, David Monroe, Silvanus Jack-
son and Thomas Jefferson, all served in the Confederate armies,
and received honorable wounds, but survived the war. Captain
Quinn, when eleven years old removed with his parents to Talla-
poosa county, Ala., where the father died in 1850, the family after-
ward removing to Neshoba county. Miss. In Philadelphia, the
county seat of Neshoba, he and his brother John B., became pro-
prietors of a newspaper, the "Central Enquirer," which they later
transferred to Louisville, Miss., and called the "Bulletin." This
business he abandoned in May, 1861, after giving a hearty support
editorially, to the cause of independence, and enlisted as musician
in the Winston Guards, a volunteer company which became Com-
pany B, and after the reorganization Company A of the Thirteenth


Mississippi infantry regiment. After the battle of Malvern Hill, in
which two lieutenants of his company fell, he was promoted second
lieutenant. August lo, 1862, he was promoted first lieutenant, and
two months later he became captain of the company, the rank in
which he served during the remainder of the war. With his regi-
ment, in Barksdale's brigade of Mississippians, McLaws' division,
Longstreet's corps, he participated in nearly all of the great battles
of the army of Northern Virginia, including Leesburg, Seven
Pines, Savage Station, White Oak Swamp, Malvern Hill, Mary-
land Heights, Sharpsburg, First and Second Fredericksburg, Get-
tysburg, Chickamauga, the sieges of Chattanooga and Knoxville,
in Tennessee and Georgia, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Han-
over Junction, Second Cold Harbor, Berryville, Strasburg, and
Sailor's Creek. In the latter engagement he was surrendered, and
thence was taken to the Old Capitol prison, reaching Washington
on the afternoon of the day of the assassination of President Lin-
coln. Later he was transferred to Johnson's island, where he was
held until about June i, 1865. During his service he was wounded
three times, but not seriously. At the Wilderness he received a
painful bruise over the heart from a bullet which was checked by
a small dictionary in his pocket, which he still gratefully pre-
serves as a memento. In May, 1866, he came from Mississippi to
Fredericksburg, and was married to Josephine DuVal, whom he
had met during the war, and he then made his home in that city.
He was in the newspaper business until 1870, after which he served
four years as commissioner of revenue. He held the office of
deputy collector of internal revenue until 1884; meanwhile, be-
ginning in 1876, repeatedly being elected to the city council, in
which body as chairman of the special committee he led in the
establishment of a water-works system and the almshouse. Since
1884 he has served with great efficiency as superintendent of the
water-works, also performing the duties of clerk of the school
board and acting as magistrate. His wife died in August, 1897,
leaving six children living: Mary Josephine, wife of James R.
Hicks; Carrie Belle, Silvanus Bryan, Mattie DuVal, William
â– Rlackstone and Nannie Maury. Captain Quinn is distinguished
in the Masonic order, as eminent commander of Fredericksburg
commandery, Knights Templar, past high priest of the Grand
chapter of Virginia, and author of a historical sketch of Fred-
ericksburg lodge, No. 4, in which Gen. George Washington was
made a Mason.

Captain Charles P. Rady, prominently connected with the public
school system of Richmond, is a native of that city, born in 1832,
and was there reared and educated. Entering the printer's craft
in early manhood, he became connected with the Richmond Dis-
patch, and was thus employed when the war of the Confederacy
was inaugurated. He entered the service of the State in April,
1861, with the rank of lieutenant in the Life Guards, an organiza-
tion which became one of the companies of the Fifteenth Virginia
infantry regiment. In this capacity he participated in the battle
of Big Bethel, the early fight on Virginia soil which aided ma-
terially by its successful termination in strengthening the morale
of the Confederate forces in the Old Dominion, and in corre-
spondingly discouraging the Federal invaders. In August, 1861,


Lieutenant Rady was promoted to the rank of captain and as-
signed to the command of another company in the Fifteenth, and
he held this command until December, when he was ordered to
Richmond on important duty connected with the telegraph de-
partment. He remained in this service a year and during the
following twelve months was in charge of office work at the cap-
ital. Subsequently he was connected with the Richmond Christian
Advocate, until the close of the war, in the meantime serving in
the defense of the city as a member of Colonel Danforth's regi-
ment. At the evacuation of the city he was captured and paroled
at Richmond. Subsequently he embarked in the book and job
printing business at Richmond, and continued it until 1873, after
which he was for ten years in mercantile business. Since 1884 he
has held the office of clerk and supervisor of the Richmond public
schools, and during his long continued tenure of this position has
rendered efficient service to the city. He is a member of R. E. Lee
camp, Confederate Veterans.

Patrick Raftery, a native of Ireland, who served faithfully and
gallantly throughout the Confederate war, and since then has
achieved success in mercantile pursuits at Petersburg, Va., came to
the United States from his native county of Galway in 1853. He
first made his home at Petersburg. When the war broke out he
enlisted in Company A, Twelfth Virginia regiment, and was at
Norfolk at the evacuation of that city by the Confederate forces
in 1862. He enlisted as a private, but subsequently was promoted
corporal and finally sergeant of his regiment. He participated in
the Seven Days' battles before Richmond and Second Manassas,
was slightly wounded at Cumberland Gap, fought at Sharpsburg,
Md., and at Fredericksburg, was in the heat of the fighting at
Chancellorsville, and participated in the three days' battle at Get-
tysburg. In Ae campaign of 1864 he was a participant in the hard
fighting at the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House and Cold
Harbor. In the latter battle he was captured and was not per-
mitted to rejoin the army to whose record he had so devotedly
contributed by his valor in the ranks, being held about a year in
the military prisons of Point Lookout and Elmira, N. Y. After
his release May 17, 1865, he returned to Petersburg and embarked
in business. In' 1871 Mr. Raftery was married to Miss Mary J.
Carlin, a native of Portsmouth, and they have one child, William

Alfred Magill Randolph, D. D., LL. D., bishop of the Southern
diocese of Virginia, was born near Winchester, Va., August 31,
1836, a lineal descendant through William Randolph the second,
Peter Randolph, of Chatsworth, Col. Robert Randolph and Robert
Lee Randolph, of that William Randolph who founded the family
in America. The latter, a great-grandson of Sir Thomas Ran-
dolph, a diplomatist of good Queen Elizabeth's reign, came from
Yorkshire in 1640 and occupied an estate on Turkey island in the
James river, his home until his decease in 1711. Among the nu-
merous descendants of this American pioneer, three, Thomas Jef-
ferson, John Marshall and Robert E. Lee, have, in different lines
of achievement, attained the highest places in American life. Col.
Robert Randolph was a distinguished soldier in the war of the
Revolution. His son, Robert Lee Randolph, father of Bishop


Randolph, a first cousin of Robert E. Lee, was born, at East-
ern View, Fauquier county, in 1794, had extensive lands, served
many years as a magistrate, and was a frequent contributor, from
the standpoint of an old-line whig, to the National Intelligencer,
of Washington, the great political organ of that day. He died
in i860 at the age of sixty-six years. His wife, Mary Tucker Ma-

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 130 of 153)