Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 131 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 131 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


gill, was the daughter of Col. John Magill of Winchester, an ofiScer
of the Revolution, and Mary Thruston, daughter of Judge Thrus-
ton, of the United States supreme court. Bishop Randolph was
reared and educated at the old family place, Eastern View, to the
age of sixteen, when he entered William and Mary college, where
he received the degree of A. B. two years later. During his twen-
tieth year, in preparation for a career in the church, he entered the
theological seminary of Virginia near Alexandria, and upon his
graduation three years later, was ordained to the deaconate by
Bishop Meade. His first charge, in 1859, was at St. George's
church at Fredericksburg, then ranking as third among the Vir-
ginia churches, the rector of which was then Rev. Edward Mc-
Guire, D. D. This eminent divine, then eighty years of age, died
two months later, and was succeeded at once by Mr. Randolph.
He served there, during the exciting period preceding and fol-
lowing the outbreak of war, until the storm of conflict broke over
the town of Fredericksburg itself, in December, 1862. When
Burnside made the order driving the citizens from their homes,
which served so effectually to inspire the Confederate soldiers to
destructive warfare in the following battle, and bombardment of
the town was begun by the Federal army under that order, he
was driven from his home, taking with him his wife, with a babe
of twenty-six hours in her arms, in an ambulance. As soon as he
could find his family a place of safety at Norwood, he returned to
the army and served in field hospitals and in caring for the
wounded. In June, 1863, without solicitation on his part, he re-
ceived an appointment from General Lee as chaplain, with orders
to serve in the hospitals at Richmond. In this service, at the cap-
ital and at Danville, he remained until the close of the war. With
Gen. Robert E. Lee, Bishop Randolph enjoyed a warm and con-
fidential friendship. While still at Fredericksburg he was per-
mitted one of those intimate glimpses of the character of the great
leader which endeared him to those who knew something of his
inner life. Visiting the general at his headquarters one calm,
pleasant evening, during a lull in the conversation there came to
their ears the strains of the hymn "Old Hundred," sung by per-
haps a brigade of soldiers at some religious service in camp. The
sentiment of the words and the associations of the melody, con-
trasted strangely with the consciousness of the purpose of this
vast assemblage and the imminence of a bloody battle. The great
general evidently felt this as keenly as the minister of Christ at his
side, and rising, he said, "Let us go out where we can hear better;
what a terrible thing war is, and how blessed is the gospel of
peace." This gospel Dr. Randolph was permitted to resume the
presentation of upon the return of peace to the land. After serv-
ing for one year, 1866-67, at Christ church, Alexandria, the ancient
place of worship of George Washington, he was called to Em-
manuel church, Baltimore, where he remained until 1883. Then
being consecrated as bishop, he assumed the duties of assistant



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1133

bishop of the old diocese of Virginia, which he continued to per-
form until two dioceses were established in 1892, and he was as-
signed to the Southern, with his residence at Norfolk. In this
iinportant office, as in all others permitted to him, he has served
his church and the sacred cause it embodies with eminent ability
and self-sacrificing devotion. Withal he finds opportunity for
other duties, serves as a trustee of the theological seminary and
hig'h school, and is president of the boards of trustees of several
academies. He maintains a membership in the Pickett-Buchanan
camp of United Confederate Veterans, and holds in honor his
comradeship with the soldiers of the Confederacy. The wife of
Bishop Randolph, to whom he was married in i860, is Sallie
Griffith Hoxton, daughter of Dr. William Hoxton, of the United
States army, sister of Col. Llewellyn Hoxton, a graduate of West
Point, who had a gallant record in the late war, and great-grand-
daughter of Rev. David Griffith, D. D., who was the chaplain and
personal friend of George Washington through the war of the
Revolution, and afterward the first bishop of Virginia.

Norman V. Randolph, of Richmond, was born in that city No-
vember 2, 1846. On April 2, 1862, a boy in his sixteenth year, he
entered the service of the Confederacy as a private in Scott's Par-
tisan Rangers. With this command he pursued an adventurous
career until it was dissolved in October, 1863. During the next
month he took the position of volunteer aide-de-camp upon the
staflf of Brig.-Gen. John B. Pegram, in Early's division of the
Second army corps, of the army of Northern Virginia, and served
in that capacity without rank or pay during the following cam-
paigns until November, 1864. He then became a member of Com-
pany E, of Mosby's command, and was on duty until May 23, 1865.
He was one of the fifteen men of Colonel Mosby's command who
declined to surrender at Salem, Va., when the command was dis-
banded, but left that place with the intention of joining the army
in North Carolina. But the capitulation of General Johnston de-
stroyed their last hopes, and they separated at Turkey island, and
Mr. Randolph was subsequently paroled at Ashland, Va. His
career was marked by that gallantry and intrepidity which were
characteristic of the commands in which he served. He was
wounded in 1863 at Upperville. Since the war he has been a val-
ued citizen of Richmond and is now prominent as a manufacturer.

Captain William Lewis Randolph, an officer of the staflf of Brig.-
Gen. Lewis Armistead, was born in 1841, at Port Gibson, Miss.,
and died in Virginia in 1891. He assisted John B. Magruder in
organizing a company of infantry in Albemarle county in 1861, of
which Magruder was elected captain, Randolph first lieutenant and
W. W. Minor second lieutenant. The company afterward became
part of the Thirty-seventh regiment. At a later date Lieutenant
Randolph was assigned to the staff of General Armistead as chief
of ordnance with the rank of captain. In this capacity he rendered
efficient service until near the end of the struggle, when he was
wounded and captured at Sailor's Creek. For some time afterward
he was held as a prisoner of war at Johnson's island. He was of
distinguished lineage. His father, William Mann Randolph, a
brother of George Wythe Randolph, a signer of the ordinance of
secession and secretary of war in 1862, was born in Amelia county,



1134 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

was graduated in law at the university of Virginia, and practiced
in Albemarle county before removing to Mississippi, where he
resided the greater part of his life. William Mann was the son
of Dr. John Randolph, and grandson of Thomas Mann Randolph.
He married Margaret Smith Randolph, daughter of Thomas Jef-
ferson Randolph, the son of Thomas Mann Randolph, governor of
Virginia, whose wife Martha was the daughter of President
Thomas Jefiferson, whose wife was Martha Wayles Skelton.
Thomas Jefiferson was the son of Peter Jefiferson, a native of Wales,
and Jane Randolph, who was born in London. The wife of
Thomas Jefiferson Randolph was Jane Hollins Nicholas, daughter
of Wilson Gary Nicholas, a governor of Virginia. A son of Capt.
W. L. Randolph, Thomas Jeifferson Randolph, born in Albemarle
county, July 21, 1868, was educated at Charlottesville, McCabe's
university school at Petersburg, and the university of Virginia,
where he matriculated in 1886 and received the degrees of B. A.
and B. Ph. in 1889, and the degree of M. A. in 1891. He then
studied law with the late Prof. John B. Minor, of the university,
and continued his reading while discharging the duties of in-
structor in modern languages in the Norfolk academy during the
session of 1891-92. Admitted to the bar in 1892 he at once entered
upon the practice. Mr. Randolph is a member of the State bar
association, and is a sergeant of Company A, Fourth regiment
Virginia infantry. He was married November 14, 189S, to Laura,
daughter of Hon. Rufus E. Lester, member of Congress from the
First district of Georgia.

John Daniel Ransome, a native of Matthews county, Va., was,
previous to the war, engaged in mercantile pursuits. He enlisted
in the spring of 1861 in a volunteer company formed in the county
of Isle of Wight, which subsequently was assigned to the Ninth
regiment Virginia infantry as Company E. The regiment was at
first ofificered by members of the faculty of the Virginia military
institute. President Francis H. Smith being colonel, and was sub-
sequently commanded in succession by Colonels DeLagnel, God-
win, Gilliam and Owens. Private Ransome served with his com-
pany near Smithfieid until the abandonment of that position, and
was then transferred to Petersburg and thence to Richmond.
They went to the front on the peninsula in Armistead's brigade,
and participated in the battle of Seven Pines, where all but seven
of the company were killed or wounded. Private Ransome was
slightly wounded in the hand. He was with his command in the
battle of Second Manassas, and then marched into Maryland. At
Haymarket, in the latter State, he was taken seriously ill and his
comrades were compelled to leave him. Since then nothing has
been learned of his fate, but it is supposed that he died from his
illness, and found a resting place in an unknown grave. The
widow of this Confederate hero, whose maiden name was Eleanor
J. Thomas, is yet living at Hampton. Two of their five sons sur-
vive, Albert and Marion C, now associated in business. During
the war, with their mother, they took refuge in Smithfieid,
from the storm of war which swept over their home. After the
close of hostilities they made their home at Hampton, where at
eighteen years of age, Albert T. Ransome (born at Fortress
Monroe, August 27, 1852) began his mercantile career as ai



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1135

clerk, and through industry and thrift was able in 1883 to em-
bark in business in partnership with his brother. They were quite
successful and continued in trade until 1896, when they disposed
of their mercantile interests and opened a real estate office. Mr.
Ransome has been active in the interests of the organization of
the Sons of Veterans, and has held for two terms the rank of com-
mander of Hampton camp, No. li. He was married May 30, 1889,
to Miss Sallie G. Moore, of Giles county, and they have five chil-
dren: Albert Thomas, Mary Louise, John Taylor, Philip Gordon
and Marion Whitwell.

Henry Rawles, a man who did his full duty in the Confederate
cause, descended from the Friends who accompanied William
Penn to Pennsylvania. Some of the descendants removed to
Nansemond county, Va., and this subject was born at Suffolk and
served in a Virginia regiment during the great war. Mr. Rawles
was not alone in his devotion to the South, sixteen of his immedi-
ate relatives also making the sacrifice required, three of whom
being killed in battle and several were wounded. As a worthy
representative of so patriotic a family, we are pleased to mention
Judge R. H. Rawles, son of the foregoing, who has been conspic-
uous in the public affairs of Nansemond county since the war.
He was born at Suffolk in the year 1850, and was graduated in law
at Richmond college in 1874. He then embarked in his professional
career at his native city, and soon attained prominence as a lawyer
and a leading position in public affairs. In 1879 he was elected to
the State senate for a term of four years, during which he served
as chairman of the committee on railroads and internal naviga-
tion. Before his term as a senator had expired he was elected
judge of the county courts, and he held this office six years, then
resigning it to return to the more congenial work of the active
practice of law. In this he has been notably successful. He is
popular socially and is prominent in various fraternal orders. In
1880 he was married to Mary Woodward, of Suffolk.

James Clayton Reed, pastor of the Memorial Methodist Episco-
pal church. South, of Lynchburg, and a veteran of the Bedford
light artillery, was born in 1842 in Pasquotank county, N. C,
where his father. Rev. Lemuel S. Reed, a Methodist minister, was
then residing. In 1861 Mr. Reed, then about eighteen years of
age, was a student in Randolph-Macon college, and at the close of
the college session, he returned home and enlisted in July, 1861, in
the Bedford light artillery, at that time stationed at Jamestown
island. He served with this company as a private until the spring
of 1862, when he was promoted sergeant, the rank he held during
the remainder of the war. His service included participation in the
artillery fight at Dam No. i, the Seven Days' fighting before Rich-
mond, the Second Manassas campaign, and the battle of Sharps-
burg, where, while engaged in the valuable service of S. D. Lee's
battalion, he was so unfortunate as to lose his left hand. On
account of this injury he did not return to the battery until July,
1864, after which he fought faithfully to the end, serving on the
Howlett House line before Richmond, in the skirmish near Amelia
Court House on the retreat and at Sailor's Creek, finally sur-
rendering at Appomattox. The following is a testimonial from his
captain, John Daniel Smith, now of Baltimore: "At Sailor's



1136 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

Creek, on the last battlefield, Sergeant Reed, who had lost an arm
at Sharpsburg, but had returned to duty in the field, distinguished
himself by his energy in getting into action a recaptured gun.
When a few days later we took position near Appomattox Court
House, Sergeant Reed asked where the sick men (including his
brother) should be put. I pointed to a clump of trees just in
front of the unlimbered guns. He looked as if he thought I had
lost my senses. General Alexander had just whispered to me that
the army of Northern Virginia was about to surrender." After
the close of hostilities he found employment for a time teaching
singing, then attended the university of Virginia, after which he
Rntered the ministry of the Methodist church, a work in which he
has been permitted to effect great good and win the lively affection
of his people. In December, 1869, he was married in Fluvanna
county to Sallie M., daughter of Rev. William G. Clarke, who
died in 1890, leaving him seven children. In 1892 he was married
to Eliza J. Veale, and they have one son. The father of Mr. Reed
served as a captain of the Home Guard in Brunswick county dur-
ing the war of the Confederacy and his maternal grandfather White
was a soldier of the war of 1812.

Captain E. Payson Reeve^ late of Richmond, a gallant infantry
soldier in the army of Northern Virginia, was born in Hanover
county July 17, 1832. He passed his youth in that county, receiv-
ing his education there and in the State of New York, until, in his
twenty-ninth year he enlisted in April, 1861, as a private in the
First regiment of Virginia infantry. He was immediately pro-
moted to the dangerous position of color-bearer, and carried the
flag at the action at Bull Run, July 19th, and the battle of Ma-
nassas, July 2ist. He was then promoted second lieutenant of
Company D, and served as such in the engagement at Munson's
Hill, and until the reorganization in the spring of 1862, when he
was promoted first lieutenant. In the fight at Williamsburg, which
soon followed, he was severely wounded and left in the hospital
when his command retreated, and fell into the hands of the enemy,
by whom he was held as a prisoner of war until the following
August. Then being exchanged he was made captain and partic-
ipated in the second battle of Manassas, where he was again
wounded so severely as to be disabled for two months. In De-
cember, 1862, he fought at Fredericksburg, and in 1863 he took
part in the Pennsylvania campaign. At the battle of Gettysburg he
fell for the third time with severe wounds. After his recovery he
commanded his company at Drewry's Bluff, Howlett House, the
second battle of Cold Harbor, Dinwiddle Court House, Five Forks
and Sailor's Creek. Overwhelmed by the Federal forces at the
latter engagement he was captured and sent as a prisoner of war
to the Old Capitol prison, and later to Johnson's island, Ohio,
where he was held until June, 1865, long after hostilities had ceased.
Then returning to Richmond he engaged in business, which he
continued with success until his death, June 10, 1898. He occupied
an influential position in civil affairs, and served the city for four
years as alderman. He was a member of Pickett camp, Confed-
erate Veterans, and maintained a warm comradeship with his old
army associates.

Captain George Cornelius Reid, an active business man of Nor-



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1137

folk, Va., was born at that city September i8, 1839. At the age
of seventeen he entered business life with his father, and was
so occupied when the war of the Confederacy broke out. Thor-
oughly in sympathy with the South he sought to render the most
effective aid to the cause for which he was fitted, and in 1862
was appointed to a clerkship in the quartermaster's department, a
position for which his previous training peculiarly adapted him.
His meritorious service in this department led to his promotion
to the rank of captain in 1863. He was first stationed at Peters-
burg, and remained there until the latter part of 1864, when he was
assigned to duty as quartermaster of a Georgia cavalry command,
under Colonel Griffin, with which he served until the close of the
war. On being paroled at Macon, Ga., he returned to Norfolk, and
at once resumed business with his father, with whom he has since
remained, being associated with him under the firm name of Charles
Reid & Sons. He has other important business connections, and
is a director of the Citizens' bank of Norfolk. In 1871 he was
appointed vice consul at Norfolk for the government of Denmark.
Mr. Reid was married in 1853 to Bessie C. Williams, daughter of
Charles Williams, of Richmond. After many years of congenial
companionship he suflfered her loss by death, April 24, i8go.
Charles Reid, father of the above, was born at Forfar, Scot-
land, April 4, 1800, the son of George and Elizabeth Taylor Reid,
who brought him to the new world and settled at Norfolk, in
August, 1801. Here he was reared and received his business train-
ing under the care of his uncle, Robert Soutter, one of the most
successful of the early merchants of that city. When twenty-one
years of age Mr. Reid embarked in business on his own account,
and has now passed the seventy-seventh year of an honorable ca-
reer as a merchant. The community with which he has passed
this long period render him their universal esteem and respect.
He has been honored on various occasions by the call to serve
the city in the positions of magistrate, councilman, chief of the
fire department, chairman of the board of harbor commissioners,
and chairman of the school board, and in all these offices he has
conscientiously served the public. He yet serves as a trustee of
the First Presbyterian church, of which he is a devout and ex-
emplary member, and as director of the Marine bank. On March
17, 1825, he was married to Lucretia, daughter of Cornelius Nash,
of Norfolk, and they have reared eight children. Mr. Reid has
lived to see the American republic, just recovering from the ex-
haustive struggle for independence, go through another encounter
with the mother country, experience the brief but exciting war with
Mexico, and survive the storm of the war of the Confederacy, that
it may, reunited with a stronger patriotism, continue a growth
and prosperity unexampled in the history of nations.

Philip Key Reily, who was among those citizens of Washington
in the Confederate period who rendered devoted service to the
Southern cause, was born in Washington in 1829, and was reared
and educated at that city, where and in Maryland his family had
long been residents. His grandfather, Major Reily, a native of
Pennsylvania, was an officer of the Maryland line in the war oi
the Revolution. From 1856 until i860 Mr. Reily was engaged in
government surveys in the territory of the present State of Ne-



1138 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

braska. As the crisis of 1861 approached he determined to cast
his lot with the State of Virginia, and returning to Washington
in April, 1861, he enlisted at Alexandria in the Washington vol-
uiiteers, an organization which was mustered into the service of
Virginia, the company of which he was a member becoming Com-
pany E, First regiment Virginia volunteer infantry. He served
as a private in this regiment from May i to July 18, 1861, when
he was wounded in the right thigh at the fight at Blackburn's
Ford. The injury was a very serious one and incapacitated him
for duty of any kind for about nine months, a period which was
passed in the hospitals at Richmond and Farmville, Va. On re-
covering sufficiently for office work, he entered the office of Ad-
jutant-General Melton, under Gen. Gustavus Smith, and a year
later was transferred to the commissary-general's office under Maj.
Seth B. French. He continued in the latter position until the
evacuation of Richmond, when he joined in the movement to
Lynchburg, where he was paroled. The journey back to Rich-
mond he made on foot, and thence he returned to his Washing-
ton home a week later. Since that time he has resided at the cap-
ital city. From 1868 to 1888 he was one of the stenographers of
the United States Senate. He maintains a membership in the
Washington association of Confederate veterans. Joseph C. Reily,
an elder brother of the above, resided in Maryland at the be-
ginning of the war, and was also a member for a time of Com-
pany E, First Virginia regiment, and later was with the Mary-
landers under Jackson. While serving in Company E he was in
the engagements at Blackburn's Ford and the First Manassas.
While in the Maryland line he was in most of the engagements of
his command until a short time before his death, which occurred
in April, 1864. He was also a soldier in the war with Mexico.

Colonel Charles Richardson, a distinguished Confederate veteran
residing at Fredericksburg, entered the service in April, 1861, with
the commission of second lieutenant of artillery, regular army, and
was assigned to duty with General Holmes, commanding the de-
partment of the Aquia. He took charge of and drilled the Fred-
ericksburg artillery, and was then assigned to the duty of drilling
Cocke's Fluvanna, Dance's Powhatan, and Coleman's Hanover
batteries stationed near Richmond. Accompanying these batteries
to Manassas he was promoted to adjutant of the corps of artillery,
army of Northern Virginia, and just before the movement to the
peninsula received the rank of major of artillery. The day follow-
ing the battle of Williamsburg he was put in command of the
battalion attached to the division of J. R. Jones, and in May, 1862,
in command on the heights overlooking the Chickahominy river
he covered the advance of Hill and Longstreet against Mechanics-
ville, receiving orders directly from General Lee. He moved
with his battalion to the field of Second Manassas with D. H.
Hill's division, and at Leesburg wheri the army was about to enter
Maryland for the Sharpsburg campaign, he was put in command
of all the artillery left behind, in all thirteen batteries, which with
about 2,Soo infantry, he moved to Winchester. In November,
1862, he was appointed chief of artillery of R. H. Anderson's di-
vision, his command including the Donaldsonville battery. Captain
Maurrin; Norfolk Blues, Captain Grandy; Halifax battery, Lieu-



CONFEDERA TE MI LIT A R V HISTOR Y. 1 139

tenant Penick; and Huger's battery, Lieutenant Moore, and in this
capacity he participated in the battles of Fredericksburg, Chan-
cellorsville and Salem Church. When the march into Pennsyl-
vania began he was on leave of absence, but he immediately set out
to rejoin his command and reaching the field on the second day
of the battle of Gettysburg, he took command of six guns, two
from the Donaldsonville and four from Huger's battery, and par-
ticipated in the fighting of July 2d and 3d. On the 4th he was
ordered with his guns to join General Imboden, and in this duty
he aided in repelling the attack of Buford and Kilpatrick upon the
convoy of the wagon trains at Williamsport. After the army had
awaited for three days an attack from Meade's army near Hagers-



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 131 of 153)