Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 132 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 132 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

town, he was put in command of all the artillery of A. P. Hill's
corps and ordered to conduct it across the Potomac, and then tak-
ing position on the Virginia heights he covered the crossing of
the rear guard. In March, 1864, he was promoted lieutenant-col-
onel. With his former command he participated in the campaign
of May from the Wilderness to Cold Harbor. On May loth, re-
inforced by EUet's battery, he effectively co-operated with General
Early in repelling the flank movement of General Hancock. Dur-
ing the siege of Petersburg he occupied for nine months the posi-
tion known as Reeve's salient, confronted by Fort Sedgwick (Fort
JHell), and flanked by Fort Mahone (Fort Damnation), a warm
location, as the popular names of his immediate neighbors indi-
cate. From this place he was withdrawn at midnight following
March 29th, and stationed on the extreme right of the army, in
a position "to be held at all hazards." There he was shot down,
together with nine of the men of Huger's battery, and was car-
ried from the field, the command devolving upon Major Grandy.
The line was carried soon afterward, and the evacuation of Peters-
burg followed.

Sergeant James H. Richardson, of Portsmouth, a soldier of the
Sixteenth Virginia regiment, Mahone's brigade, was born in Nor-
folk county in 1831, the son of John Richardson, a lumberman
of that county, and a man of considerable prominence, who died
in 1835. Mr. Richardson went to Portsmouth with his mother
when he was seventeen years of age and thoroughly learned the
trade of a ship and boat-builder, in which he was engaged until
he entered the military service as a member of the Virginia De-
fenders, a Portsmouth company which was organized on the night
of April 20, 1861, under Capt. Edward T. Blamire. When the
United States forces abandoned the navy yard, Mr. Richardson
was carried along as a prisoner to Old Point Comfort, but was
released on the following morning, when he made his way back
to Portsmouth from Hampton in an oyster boat. Then joining the
company he served at Tanner's Creek until May, 1862, and sub-
sequently, attached to Mahone's brigade, served in the Seven Days'
campaign, especially at Malvern Hill. Afterward he was stationed
successively at Fallen Creek, Richmond and Gordonsville, and
served on the Rapidan, after which he participated in the battles
of Second Manassas, Crampton's Gap and Sharpsburg, and
closed the year by fighting at Fredericksburg. After spending
the winter in camp at Petersburg, he moved to Chancellorsville in
the spring, and thence marching into Pennsylvania, did his part


in the great battle of Gettysburg, where he was wounded. In
1864 he participated in the battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania,
New Market, Second Cold Harbor, shared the fighting of Ma-
hone's brigade on the Petersburg lines, including the battle of
the Crater, and took part in the engagement at Winchester. On
his return from the valley he had the misfortune to suffer the
breaking of his leg in a friendly trial of strength with a comrade,
and being disabled, was granted a furlough, when he joined his
people, who had taken refuge in Isle of Wight county. At the
close of hostilities he returned to Portsmouth, and in 1867 he
was appointed street inspector of the city, but under the military
government was deposed from office on account of his refusing to
take the ironclad oath. Notwithstanding this treatment he still
found avenues of industry open, and some years later resumed
the work to which he was accustomed, in the navy yards, where
he has since been engaged.

John W. Richardson, commander of R. E. Lee camp. No. 3,
Hampton, Va., was born in Northampton county April 29, 1839,
the son of Edward J. and Margaret (Evans) Richardson, whose
parents have resided for several generations on the eastern shore
of Maryland. During his infancy his parents removed to Balti-
more, where he was reared and educated and apprenticed to the
carpenter's craft. At Baltimore and at Hampton, where they re-
moved in 1859, he worked with his father, a prominent contractor
and builder, until April, 1861, when he entered the Confederate
service. He was first a member of the Washington artillery, a
company of forty men organized at Hampton, but this organiza-
tion being disbanded in June on account of its small numbers,
and the men assigned to the Richmond Howitzers and Carter's
battery, his subsequent service was rendered with the latter organi-
zation, also known as the King William artillery. With this com-
mand he took part in the battle of Seven Pines, and the subse-
quent fighting during Lee's advance, up to Malvern Hill, where
the severe previous service of the battery prevented its participa-
tion. When the army moved northward he was left with his bat-
tery for the protection of Richmond, and was soon afterward
compelled by sickness to enter tke hospital. When about to rejoin
his battery the surgeon in charge prevailed upon him to accept
service as a steward in the hospital camp at Howard's Grove, for
which he was fitted on account of having had the small-pox in
childhood. He remained upon this important and valuable service
until after the battle of Gettysburg, when _ he made such an im-
perative demand to be assigned to duty in the field that he was
permitted to rejoin his battery at Orange Court House. He then
took part in the battle of Mine Run in the fall of 1863, and the
fighting in the Wilderness and at Spottsylvania until May 12,
1864, when he was among the many Confederates captured by Han-
cock at the "bloody angle." From that date until two months
after Appomattox he was held as a prisoner of war, at Fort Dela-
ware. From 1867 to 1893, when he turned over the business to his
son, he was a successful merchant at Hampton, and as a citizen he
has been active and influential. He has served as justice of the
peace, and member of school board, was an active promoter of
the incorporation of his town in 1887, served on the first town


council, and subsequently held the office of mayor two years. He
has served more than four years as commander of his camp.
Since his retirement from trade he has served as teller of the bank
of Hampton, of which he is a director, and he is connected with
the Phoebus loan and trust company. He was married in 1868
to Annie, daughter of Hon. Samuel W. Wood, who served in the
Virginia legislature and was for many years president of the Vir-
ginia pilot association. She died in 1874, and in 1876 he married
Emma V., daughter of Robert Wood, a well-known pilot. Mr.
Richardson has five children living.

R. E. Riddick, M. D., a prominent physician of Nansemond
county, Va., served in his youth as a Confederate soldier, and
shared the honorable record of Pickett's brigade and division until
the winter of 1863. He was born in Nansemond county in 1843,
the son of Edward C. Riddick, a farmer and patriotic citizen of
that county. At the outbreak of tHfe war he was a student at Gra-
ham college, but promptly left his studies to become a private in
Company F of the Third Virginia infantry regiment, which until
March, 1862, was stationed at Camp Pemberton, near Smithfield.
The regiment was then transferred to the forces under Magruder
at Yorktown, and fought against McClellan at Dam No. 2. In
these operations and the following battles of Williamsburg, Seven
Pines, Mechanicsville, Gaines' Mill, Savage Station and FraySer's
Farm, Private Riddick took part with his command, and was
slightly wounded. He fought at Second Manassas, Harper's
Ferry, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, took part in the Suffolk cam-
paign, and at Gettysburg was one of the participants in the famous
assault of Pickett's division upon Cemetery ridge. In the spring
of 1864 he was detailed in the medical department, and he served
in various hospitals as an assistant to the surgeons until later in
the year, when being at home on furlough he was betrayed, and
being taken prisoner, was confined at Point Lookout until a short
time before the surrender of Lee's army. With the restoration of
peace he continued his studies for the medical profession at the
university of Virginia and the Baltimore medical college, receiving
the degree of doctor of medicine at the latter institution in 1869.
Since then he has been engaged in the practice in Nansemond
county and North Carolina, since 1888 making his home at
Whaleyville, Va. He has met with deserved success in his pro-
fession and is popular both professionally and socially. In 1874
be was married to Miss Alice O. Brinkley, and they have one son,
E. Floyd.

Colonel Stark Armistead Righton, a gallant North Carolinian,
took an active part in the work of putting the military strength of
that State in the field in 1861. He organized a company from
Chowan, and, accompanying it to Virginia, was taken prisoner
and confined at Fort Norfolk. After suffering indescribable hard-
ships he became paralyzed and was then exchanged and honorably
discharged. He was a kinsman of the family of Gen. Fitzhugh
Lee. His wife, Susan Augusta Moore, was a granddaughter of
Charles Moore, who represented Perquimans county in the pro-
vincial congress which met at Halifax, N. C, April 4, 1776. Her
father, Augustus Moore, judge of the superior court in 1848,
-married Susan Jordan Armistead, and had several children who


served in the Confederate ranks. William Armistead Moore, the
eldest, was upon the staff of Gen. D. H. Hill around Richmond,
served as courier for Gen. R. E. Lee during the Seven Days' cam-
paign, and afterward raised a company at Chowan. After incur-
ring disability in the service, he received a commission to carry on
the manufacture of salt at Wilmington. He became judge of the
superior court in 1871. Augustus Minton Moore volunteered in
the Confederate service, was a member of Company A, First regi-
ment, later was transferred to artillery and served until he sur-
rendered at Greensboro. John Armistead and Alfred, two younger
sons, entered the service at the ages of twelve and fourteen years,
with the Rangers organized for home protection, and engaged in
perilous service within the enemy's lines. A daughter, Henrietta,
married Stark Armistead Sutton, who raised a company from
Bertie, and served gallantly until mortally wounded at Spottsyl-
vania Court House, dying in the hands of the enemy. Mary
Elizabeth had the experience of being taken prisoner by the enemy
and held until she escaped by jumping her horse over a stooping
soldier, this occurring in Chowan county, N. C, in 1863. Marie
Armistead Moore Righton, daughter and only child of Stark
Armistead Righton, adopted by Judge William Armistead Moore,
cherishes warmly the memories of the military service of her fam-
ily. She was married at Edenton, N. C, to Patrick Matthew, born
in Scotland in 1853, a graduate in civil engineering of the univer-
sity of Edinborough, a grandson of Patrick Matthew, forerunner
of Darwin in the annunciation of the celebrated biological theory
which bears the name of the latter, and a lineal descendant of Ad-
miral David Duncan, the hero of Camperdown. Mr. Matthew
resided in Greenville and Edenton, N. C, from 1885 to 1893, and
since then has followed his profession at Norfolk, Va.

Captain James Roach, of Fredericksburg, a gallant soldier of
the Sixth Virginia cavalry, was born in Orange county, Va.,
June 12, 1834. His ancestors were farmers of that county, where
his father, who also attained the dignity of magistrate, married
Mildred, daughter of Francis Jones. Capt. James Roach, the only
son, was reared and educated in his native county, and for two
years previous to 1861 served as deputy sheriff. He enlisted as a
private in Company I of the Sixth Virginia cavalry in April, 1861,
and manifested from the first such soldierly ability that he was
speedily promoted corporal, then sergeant, second lieutenant, and
finally captain in May, 1863. During the winter and spring of 1863-
64 he had charge of the commissary department of his regiment.
He participated in twenty-three engagements with the gallant Sixth,
in the brigades of Generals Munford and W. E. Jones, prominent
among which were the famous battles of Second Manassas, Cedar
Mountain, Cross Keys and Brandy Station. In the spring of 1864,
having been elected sheriff of Orange county, he resigned to ac-
cept the duties of this office, unusually important and active at that
period, and he continued to hold the office until 1869. Subsequent-
ly he engaged in business two years at Washington, D. C, since
when, with the exception of one year in Orange county, he has been
in business at Fredericksburg, with his residence on the opposite
bank of the Rappahannock, in Stafford county. He has busied him-
self with various lines of business as well as farming and has been


prosperous in his enterprises. He has served for several years as
United States commissioner. He has three sons: Lindsay G.,
James T., of the United States navy, and Ellis H., also five daugh-
ters: Agnes P., Clara V., wife of James T. Layton; Lizzie, Rosa
E. and Lillian M.

Robert Richford Roberts, a wholesale merchant at Richmond,
was born in Charlotte county, April 26, 1843. His life before
the war was uneventful, as he entered the service at the age of sev-
enteen years. He became a member of the Third company of Rich-
mond Howitzers, as a private, and served thereafter in nearly all the
engagements in which his command participated until disabled by
wounds. In the list of fights in which he did duty are Illysus
Mill, Gaines' Mill, the Seven Days' battles before Richmond,
Chancellorsville, Mine Run, the defeat of Milroy at Winchester,
Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court
House, Second Cold Harbor, New Market Heights, and a series
of fights on the Darbytown road, about ten miles east of Richmond,
in October, 1864, where he was badly wounded, and incapacitated
for further service in the field. He lay for a long time in Chim-
borazo hospital, but in March, 1865, applied for such duty as could
be assigned to him, and was detailed to act as collector of tax-in-
kind. He was occupied in this duty when the army of Northern
Virginia laid down its arms, and immediately made his way to
Johnston's army in North Carolina and reported for duty. But be-
ing advised to return to his home he did so, and took up the work
of a farmer in Charlotte county. Subsequently he was engaged in
merchandise for three years and then, in 1872, removed to Rich-
mond, and embarked in his present trade, that of a wholesale shoe
merchant. In this occupation he has been notfibly prosperous, and
he has attained a high standing at Richmond as a business man
and as an enterprising and responsible citizen. He maintains a
membership in the Robert E. Lee camp. Confederate Veterans, and
the Howitzer association.

Lieutenant Frank S. Robertson, now engaged in farming near
Abingdon, Va., was born at Richmond, January 3, 1841. At the
time of the crisis in the affairs of the State in the spring of 1861, he
was a student in the university of Virginia, and orderly-sergeant
of the company in that institution known as the "Sons of Liberty."
With this organization he went to Harper's Ferry as soon as the
decision of the Virginia convention was known and took part in
the occupation of that post. Subsequently the company was dis-
banded, and on reaching home Robertson enlisted as first lieuten-
ant in Company I, Forty-eighth Virginia infantry, with which he
served in the West Virginia campaign of Gen. R. E. Lee. Amid the
hardships and exposure of mountain warfare many of the soldiers
were disabled, and he was among those who suffered from typhoid
fever. After recruiting his health at home he returned to the regi-
ment in January, 1862, and took part in the no less arduous Romney
campaign under Stonewall Jackson and Loring. This wrecked his
enfeebled health and he was sent to Richmond, and later honorably
discharged. While preparing to go to Europe he was offered ap-
pointment as second lieutenant of engineers. This he accepted, and
as assistant engineer on the staff of General Stuart he served until
the death of his famous chief, and after that to the end of the war,


as engineer oiScer in W. H. F. Lee's division. He is commended in
the reports of General Stuart for ability and devotion. Among the
battles in which Lieutenant Robertson participated were Chancel-
lorsville, Brandy Station, Gettysburg, Malvern Hill, Petersburg,
the Cattle Raid, Five Forks, and the fighting of the last retreat.
He entered the military service on April i6, 1861, and returned home
on April 17, 1865, four years and a day being devoted to the cause
of the Confederacy. It is an interesting fact that Lieutenant Rob-
ertson is of the most ancient lineage in Virginia, being descended
from the marriage of the Princess Pocahontas to John Rolfe. A
valuable history of Pocahontas and her descendants has been pre-
pared by his father.

Leigh Robinson, a veteran of the artillery of the army of North-
ern Virginia, was born at Richmond, Va., February 26, 1840. He
was reared at that city until his eighteenth year, when he removed
with his family to Washington, D. C. His education was complet-
ed at the university of Virginia, where he was enrolled as a stu-
dent at the time of the beginning of the war of 1861-65. In the
winter of 1862 he entered the service of his native State and of the
Confederacy as a private in the Second Howitzers, of Richmond.
With this famous command and the First Howitzers, to which he
was transferred in March, 1864, he served throughout the remainder
of the war. His record embraces service with the artillery at York-
town, Williamsburg, Seven Pines, the Seven Days' battles of the
Peninsular campaign, after which he was disabled by illness until
after the Northern campaign and the battle of Sharpsburg. Re-
joining the army on its return to Virginia he fought at Fredericks-
burg and Chancellorsville, and in 1863 participated in the Pennsyl-
vania campaign and the second and third days' battles at Gettys-
burg, and at Mine Run in Virginia. In 1864 he fought through the
Wilderness and Spottsylvania battles, and thence to the James
river, and after that on the Petersburg lines, supporting Pickett's
division, near Port Walthall, at the Dunn house. On the retreat
he participated in his last engagement — against the enemy's cavalry
— on the day before the surrender at Appomattox. In May he was
paroled at Burk's Station, Va., and not long afterward he made his
home at the city of Washington, where he has since resided. Since
1872 he has been engaged in the practice of law, and has attained a'
marked degree of success in that profession.

William Lavaille Robinson, M. D., a distinguished physician of
Danville, Va., was born in Cumberland county, February 14, 1846,
the son of Dr. Thomas Lavaille Robinson, a native of Chesterfield
county. The latter, his father, and two brothers, were members of
the medical profession. The mother of Dr. Robinson was Martha
Isbell, a native of Cumberland county. He entered the university
of Virginia in the fall of 1862, but soon embraced an opportunity to
leave his books, and enlisted in November as a private in Company
G of the Third Virginia cavalry. With this command he partici-
pated in the battles of Stevensburg, Robison River, Brandy Station,
Second Manassas, Culpeper Court House, Buckland, Warrenton,
Hawe's Shop, Spottsylvania Court House, and many other cavalry
engagements. Fortunately he was never wounded, though in the
hot fight at Stevensburg his hat brim was carried away by a piece
of shell, his bridle rein cut in two, and his blanket riddled. At Mit-


chell's Shop, May 9, 1864, he was captured, and during the next
three months he was confined at Point Lookout. Here, at the time
of Early's raid on Washington, a plan was formed under the lead-
ership of Eddy, a Texan, to free the 14,000 prisoners and co-operate
with Early in the capture of Washington. Dr. Robinson was one
of the twenty men selected by Eddy, each to select twenty more, to
form a party to attack the guard; but the plan was betrayed by some
one and the guard increased so that their hopes were crushed. His
next place of confinement was Elmira, N. Y., whence he escaped by
bribing a guard with the proceeds of a pail of tobacco sent him
from Virginia, to put his name among those who on account of
residence in neutral States, or wounds, were given parole. Putting
his arm in a sling, he managed to pass, and finally reached Rich-
mond in time to rejoin his regiment and surrender at Appomattox.
In 1867 he was graduated in medicine at the university of Virginia,
and at once began the practice at Danville, subsequently taking
post-graduate courses at the college of physicians and surgeons,
Baltimore and in New York. As a general practitioner as well as a
specialist in surgery and gynecology he is well known throughout
the State. He is an ex-president of the State and local medical so-
cieties, has a membership in various national and general profes-
sional organizations, and is surgeon of the Atlantic & Danville, and
consulting surgeon of the Southern railroad. In 1872 he was mar-
ried to Juliet L. Robinson, who died in 1895, leaving him five chil-

Lieutenant William P. Robinson, of Danville, Va., a gallant sol-
dier of the Confederacy, was born in Chesterfield county, June 5,
1842, the son of William and Amanda A. (Bowles) Robinson. As
a student in the Virginia military institute during the exciting
period following the election of President Lincoln, he was an earn-
est advocate of Virginian independence, and as soon as he was
graduated in 1861, he entered the military service. For the first
year he was stationed at Richmond as a drillmaster, and he then
entered the Ringgold battery, of Danville, with which he served
in the rank of first lieutenant, until the end. Among the engage-
ments in which he participated were the fight at Zollicoflfer, Tenn.,
the battle of Cloyd's Mountain, May, 1864, in which he commanded
one gun of the battery and withdrew it safely from the field, and
the long continued fighting on the Petersburg lines. At the battle
of the Crater he was in command of two guns and took a con-
spicuous part in the defeat of the Federal onset. At Appomattox
he was in command of his battery on duty as a company of in-
fantry, and participated in the fighting on the night before the sur-
render. Since those days Lieutenant Robinson has been a resident
of Danville and prominent as a business man. He has served as a
magistrate and councilman, and is an honored member of Cabell-
Graves camp. October 4, 1871, he was married to Blanche R. Syd-
nor, of Nottoway county, and they have four sons, each of whom
has been given a military education.

Theodore F. Rogers, of Norfolk, prominent in the real estate bus-
iness of that city, was born within its limits on July 4, 1844, the
son of John Randolph and Mary Ann Rogers. At the outbreak of
the war in 1861 he was a student in the Norfolk military academy,
where he had been enrolled for three years. He was consequently


well fitted tor capable service in the army and was eager to enlist
as soon as the war seemed inevitable. On the 19th of April, 1861,
he became a member of a company called the Young Guards, and
remained with that organization until just before the evacuation
of- Norfolk, when he joined the Norfolk Light Artillery Blues.
With this gallant command, forming subsequently a part of Rich-
ardson's battaHon, attached to the Third army corps of the army
of Northern Virginia, he participated in all its battles and cam-
paigns. His first duties were in the land batteries in connection
with the famous naval duel between the Monitor and the Virginia
or Merrimac. During the bloody battle of Spottsylvania he re-
ceived a severe wound from which he suffered for thirty-four
years, finally being compelled, February g, 1898, to have his leg
amputated above the knee joint, an operation which was entirely
successful and has resulted in the marked improvement of his
health. When the armies of the Confederacy were disbanded he
returned to civil life, practically penniless, but was so fortunate as
to find employment in a hardware establishment at Norfolk, where
beginning for very slight compensation he won by faithful ap-
plication a partnership at the end of twelve months. He continued

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 132 of 153)