Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 133 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 133 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in this business until 1884, since which date he has been engaged
in dealing in real estate, a business in which he has met with a
marked degree of success. He has won a high standing in the
community and is generally regarded as among the city's most
enterprising and valuable citizens. As president of the Boys'
home and vice-president of the chamber of commerce he has
rendered highly appreciated services. He is a member of Free-
Mason street Baptist church, is a Mason of the thirty-second
degree and Knight Templar, and maintains a membership in the
Pickett-Buchanan camp, United Confederate Veterans. Mr. Rog-
ers was married May 30, 1867, to Adelaide, daughter of Seth March,
formerly engaged in the manufacture of agricultural implements
at Norfolk, and their home has been blessed by children, of whom
four survive.

Henry C. Roper, of Petersburg, late of the Thirteenth Virginia
cavalry, is a native of the city where he now resides, and prior
to the war was educated at the Petersburg classical institute.
Leaving school in 1862, he enhsted in the Petersburg company
of cavalry which was assigned to the Thirteenth Virginia cavalry
regiment, and subsequently participated in all the campaigns and
battles of this regiment and W. H. F. Lee's brigade in Virginia,
Maryland and Pennsylvania, until he was captured in the fight
at Dunn's Farm. From that time until the close of the war he
was held as a prisoner of war at Point Lookout, Md. He vol-
unteered as a private, and at the close of his service was in the
rank of second sergeant, having refused further promotion. Em-
met Roper, a brother, who previous to 1861 had been graduated
with the first honors of his class at Hampden-Sidney college, en-
tered the Confederate service at the outbreak of the war and was
on duty in the medical department until the close. After the war
Mr. Roper was in the tobacco and wholesale grocery business with
his father, until the death of the latter, and since then he has given
his attention solely to the tobacco trade, exporting extensively to
Europe and Africa.



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1147

George Ross, M. D., now a distinguished physician and surgeon
of Richmond, Va., was among the earliest Virginia volunteers in
1861, and during the struggle which followed held various im-
portant positions in the medical department of the army of North-
ern Virginia. Dr. Ross was born in Culpeper county in 1838,
He was graduated at the Virginia military institute July 4, 1859,
and then pursued a medical course at the university of Virginia,
which conferred upon him the degree of M. D. July 4, 1861. Be-
fore that date, however, he had left the university to take part
in that outburst of the State's military spirit which was coinci-
dent with the ordinance of secession. On the day of that act of
the convention, April 17th, he went to Harper's Ferry as first
lieutenant of the Southern Guards, a rare body of spirited uni-
versity students. Two weeks later the company was ordered back
to the university by Governor Letcher, and he then received his
professional degree, and was made superintendent and command-
ant of the military school which was established at the university
about July ist by the board of visitors. He served in this capacity
about four months, also as acting assistant surgeon of the hos-
pital at Charlottesville, where many of the wounded were brought
from the field of Manassas. In November following he organized
a battalion of artillery, but was disappointed on entering this
service by the lack of guns with which to equip his command.
He then accepted a commission as assistant surgeon, and was
assigned to the Banner hospital at Richmond. Just before the
battle of Seven Pines, and in preparation for that conflict, he was
detailed to organize Crew's factory hospital, where with three
hundred beds and seven assistants he cared for the wounded of
the succeeding campaign. Being assigned in the fall of 1862 to
Chimborazo hospital, he served there until just before the battle
of Gettysburg, when he was ordered to the front. He met the
army on the return at Front Royal, and was temporarily placed
in charge of the reserve hospital corps of the Third army corps.
Subsequently being assigned to the staflf of Gen. A. P. Hill, as
associate medical director of the Third army corps, he served in
that capacity during the battle at Bristoe Station, and skirmishes
at Brandy Station, in the campaign around Mine Run, during
the withdrawal of the army from the Rappahannock to the Rapi-
dan. In February, 1864, he resigned this position, and later at
the request of Governor Letcher joined the little Confederate army
in the Valley campaign of May, 1864, as surgeon of the battalion
of cadets from the Virginia military institute, and was in the bat-
tles of Lynchburg and New Market, where the cadets fought with
such gallantry and heavy loss. During the siege of Richmond
and Petersburg he served until the evacuation, when he attempted
to join the army in North Carolina, but returned from Lexington
and then made his home at Richmond without the formality of a
parole. Since that time he has practiced his profession with
great success and with many honorable evidences of appreciation.
From 1868 to 1878 he was engaged as the lecturer on anatomy and
surgery in the summer school of the medical college of Virginia;
filled the chair of obstetrics for several years in the university
college of medicine at Richmond, of which he is emeritus pro-
fessor in the present faculty; was member of the first State health
board by appointment of Governor Walker; was chief surgeon



1148 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

and organizer of the surgical department of the Richmond &
Danville railroad company from i^6 to 1896, and since then con-
sulting surgeon of the Southern railroad company; and has been
for fifteen years the district surgeon for the Chesapeake & Ohio
railroad company. He has also served for some time as medical
examiner for various insurance organizations, the Penn Mutual of
Philadelphia, the Fidelity of Philadelphia, the Brooklyn of New
York, and the R. O. & E. association of Indianapolis. He is
connected with several professional organizations, by which he
has been honored in various ways' — is vice-president of the Na-
tional association of railway surgeons, member of the Southern
gynecological society, of the Virginia State medical society, of
the Richmond surgical and medical society and honorary fellow
of the Abingdon medical society. He is also active and useful
in social and religious fields, and since 1889 has been a vestryman
of the St. Paul's Episcopal church of Richmond.

Colonel J. D. H. Ross, a prominent citizen of Rockbridge
county, was born in Culpeper county in 1840. At the age of six-
teen he entered the Virginia military institute, where he was grad-
uated in i8S9, and a year later appointed assistant professor of
mathematics and of the Latin and French languages. He partici-
pated in the earliest operations coincident with the passage of
the ordinance of secession of Virginia, going to Harper's Ferry
in charge of powder from the Lexington armory, and remained
at the front several months. He was then detailed to return to-
the institute and instruct some officers of the provisional army
who had received appointments without previous military train-
ing. In this duty he continued until the close of the school in
July, 1861, when he was commissioned lieutenant in the engineer
corps by Governor Letcher, and about July 21st was assigned t&
the stafT of General Loring, then operating in western Virginia.
In the fall of 1861 he was appointed by Governor Letcher without
his application, as major of the Fifty-second regiment of Vir-
ginia infantry, of which he was subsequently (in 1862) promoted
lieutenant-colonel. During most of the time which followed dur-
ing his period of service he was in command of the regiment. He
participated in the battles of Greenbrier River and Allegheny
Mountain, W. Va., McDowell, Winchester, Front Royal and
Cross Keys, of Jackson's Valley campaign, and at the last named
battle received two severe wounds which rendered him an in-
valid for four months. During his convalescence he served as-
enrolling officer, with headquarters at Lexington and Staunton,
until April 21, 1863, when he returned to the service and fought
at Second Fredericksburg, the defeat of Milroy at Winchester,
and the three days of battle at Gettysburg. In the fall j)f 1864
the wounds received at Cross Keys compelled him to resign and
his subsequent service was rendered in the Virginia military in-
stitute which had been removed to Richmond. After the evacu-
ation he returned to Lexington, studied law and was admitted to
the bar. Since then he has given his attention to farming on an-
extensive scale in Rockbridge county. At one time he managed
an estate of three thousand acres. On April 7, 1862, he was mar-
ried to Agnes, daughter of the late Samuel McDowell Reid, an
adjutant of the war of 1812, who, with his father, Andrew Reid,.



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 114&

held for eighty years the office of clerk of the courts of Rock-
bridge county. William A. Ross, brother of the foregoing, en-
tered the service with the students of the university of Virginia
in April, 1861, was afterward promoted lieutenant in the Fifty-
second regiment, and gave his life for the cause near Hanover
Court House in the spring of 1863.

William G. Rouse, of Smithfield, Va., a veteran of the artillery
of the army of Northern Virginia, was born in King and Queen
county November 6, 1834, the son of Mordecai and Maria S.
(Rowe) Rouse. His father was a native of Caroline county, as
was also his grandfather, William Rouse, and both were farmers
by occupation. The father, who was born in the closing years of
the eighteenth century, served in the war of 1812. By his mar-
riage to the daughter of Handsford Rowe of King and Queen
county, he had three sons and three daughters. All of the sons
served in the Confederate army, Mordecai B. as a sergeant in a
company of heavy artillery from New Kent county until his cap-
ture at Sailor's Creek, after which he was imprisoned at Point
Lookout until June, 1865; and John H.^ as a corporal in the same
company, suffering capture and imprisonment in the same man-
ner. The first died in 1884, the second on August 8, 1897. Both
were brave and faithful soldiers and during four years of arduous
service proved their loyalty to the cause of Virginia. William G.
Rouse served a five years' apprenticeship as a cabinet maker, and
then, on October 23, 1856, made his home at Smithfield, where
he has ever since been engaged in the business of a cabinet-
maker and undertaker, with much success, except during the
period of his war service. He enlisted April 29, 1861, as a sergeant
in the Old Dominion Light Artillery Blues, which was subse-
quently transferred to the heavy artillery service and attached to-
the Nineteenth Virginia battalion, commanded by J. Wiley Atkin-
son. He served with this command throughout the four years'
war, principally stationed on the line of defenses of Richmond.
At the time of the battle of Sailor's Creek he escaped the capture
which befell his command by being absent on detail, and a few-
days later he surrendered with General Lee at Appomattox. Just.
before the war he was married, November 18, i860, to Martha A.
Archer, of Smithfield, who died October 5. 1876. Five childreir
are living: Eva P., wife of Jackson Noel; Ruth E., wife of C. F.
Nelms; William E., in business at Newport News; Sarah E., wife
of Claude Hutchins; and Mattie V., wife of W. W. Joyner. No-
vember 28, 189s, Mr. Rouse was married to Eugenia (Whitley)
Stephenson. William E. Rouse, son of the foregoing, born at
Smithfield, Va., July 26, 1869, was engaged in business with his
father in his youth, and after thoroughly equipping himself for
his profession by study at Richmond, founded an establishment
at Newport News, which is now under his very successful super-
vision. He is regarded as one of the honorable and reliable bus-
iness men of the city, is popular socially, and is prominent in the
Methodist church as a member of the official board. In 1894 he- ■
was married to Edna S. Hudgins, formerly of Yorktown, and
they have one child, Dorothy.

Lieutenant Charles F. Russell, M. D., of Herndon, Va., a dis-
tinguished veteran of the Seventh Virginia cavalry, was born in:



1150 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

Jefferson county, Va., August 13, 1841. In his youth he was sent
to the Episcopal high school in Fairfax county for his academic
education and then, being destined for the medical profession, en-
tered the university of Maryland at Baltimore, where he was a
student at the outbreak of the war of the Confederacy. Promptly
returning to enter the service of his State, he enlisted on April 18,
1861, in Company G of the Seventh Virginia cavalry, commanded
by Col. Turner Ashby. He served as a private about six months,
when he received his first promotion for meritorious conduct.
He continued to rise through the various grades until at the close
of the war he was first lieutenant. With this gallant command
he served throughout the war, participating with honor in many
engagements, great and small. His record embraces sixty-one
battles, many of them of the most important character, and notable
for desperate fighting. In the list are: McDowell, Cross Keys,
Port Republic, Harrisonburg, Harper's Ferry, Second Manassas,
Hagerstown, Sharpsburg, Groveton, Chantilly, Winchester, Aldie,
Gettysburg, Kernstown, Cedar Creek, Front Royal, Tom's Brook,
Strasburg and Fisher's Hill, Upperville, Bristoe Station, Brandy
Station, Beverly Ford, Jeffersonton, Auburn, White Sulphur
Springs, Cedar Mountain, Waterloo Bridge, Orange Court House,
Rapidan Station, Mine Run, Gordonsville, Trevilian's, Spottsyl-
vania Court House, the Wilderness, Todd's Tavern, Beaver Dam
Station, North Anna River, Hanover and Ashland, Hawe's Shop,
Cold Harbor, defense of Petersburg, Reams' Station, Stony Creek,
Farmville, High Bridge, Harper's Ferry, September 2, 1862,
Blackburn's Ford, Shepardstown, Patterson's Creek, Bath, Hang-
ing Rock, Moorefield, Beverly. During this arduous service he
was four times wounded, once severely at Gettysburg, and was
captured three times, twice making his escape. After his capture
in December, 1862, he was confined at Fort McHenry until April,
1863, when by exchange he was enabled to rejoin his command,
with which he served until the surrender of the army. Returning
then to his home county, he resumed his professional studies at
Baltimore in the following year, and was graduated March 11,
1867. In September following he embarked in the practice at
Waterford, Va., and five years later removed to Sharpsburg, Md.,
where he resided nineteen years. Since 1893 he has been engaged
with much success in the medical practice at Herndon. He is a
member of Marr camp. Confederate Veterans, also of the Knights
of Pythias and Masonic orders. May 10, 1870, he was married
to Margaret A. Grimes, of Carroll county, Md., and they have
three children living.

Bushrod Rust, of Roanoke, Va., distinguished as an educator
since the war period, has a worthy record as a gallant soldier of
the Twelfth Virginia cavalry. He enlisted early in the war as a
private in Company I of this command, first led by Col. A. W.
Harmaii and Lieut.-Col. T. B. Massie, and served until the close
of hostilities, sharing in the exploits of the troopers under the
lieroic Ashby in the valley with Stonewall Jackson; and the cav-
alry fights of the Second Manassas campaign; fighting under J.
E. B. Stuart in the famous cavalry battle of Brandy Station, June,
1863, in which the Twelfth lost fifty-three men, including Colonel
Harman wounded; and sharing in the famous operations of the



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1151

cavalry under Stuart, Hampton and the Lees in 1864, including the
battles of Jack's Shop and Trevilian, and the raid through the
Federal lines before Petersburg, capturing 2,500 beef cattle, which
were brought in safety to the Confederate army. The Twelfth was
one of the regiments of the famous Laurel brigade, led by Ashby,
Jones and Rosser, and Professor Rust was one of the men who
made its fame. Lieutenant-Colonel Massie, writing of him, says:
"It affords me pleasure to state what I know of so gallant a sol-
dier as Prof. Bushrod Rust He was always conspicu-
ously brave and discharged all the duties of a soldier faithfully."

Josiah Ryland, second auditor of the State of Virginia, was born
in King and Queen county in 1838. He was reared in his native
county and resided there before and after the war until 1884, when
he made his home at ^Richmond and was appointed to a clerkship
in the office of the auditor of State. In June, 1892, he was ap-
pointed to the office of second auditor, a position in which he
lias rendered highly satisfactory service. Mr. Ryland was grad-
uated at the Virginia military institute, at Lexington, in 1859, in
a class which included Dr. George Ross, now of Richmond, Col.
John Lyell, Col. Charles Green, Colonel Wingfield, Col. W. B.
Tabb, Colonel Ham, Maj. G. B. Cook, of General Lee's stafif, and
Col. T. B. Williams. Before the passage of the ordinance of se-
cession Mr. Ryland raised a company in King William county,
which was organized and drilled as an artillery company, but on
account of the scarcity of guns was sent to Yorktown and placed
in charge of a battery at Gloucester point. With this command
Mr. Ryland held the rank of first lieutenant, having refused the
captaincy in favor of J. R. Bagby, an older man. He acted as
■drill officer for this company and others for about six months.
At the reorganization in 1862, he resigned his rank and enlisted
as a private in Lee's Rangers, of Company H of the Ninth Vir-
ginia cavalry, with which he served until the close of the war.
He participated in the battles of Gaines' Mill, Brandy Station and
others, and in the retreat from Richmond and the battle of Ap-
pomattox. He was captured at Middleburg, Va., in November,
1862, and was carried to the Old Capitol prison, but was ex-
changed about a week later. He is a member of both the R. E.
Lee and George E. Pickett camps at Richmond.

Major William C. Sanders, of Wytheville, an officer of the Con-
federate service, was honorably identified with the service of
Wythe county soldiers during the war. He was born in that
county June 15, iS+i, and entered the service in the spring of
1861, as a private in the Wythe Grays, which was assigned to the
Fourth infantry regiment, Stonewall brigade. Later he became
second lieutenant of a new volunteer company known as the
Wythe Minute Men, which was enrolled as Company D, Forty-fifth
Virginia regiment. Col. Harry Heth commanding. With this
regiment he served in northwest Virginia during 1861. He served
as caiptain of Company D from the reorganization in 1862 until
the spring of 1864, when he was promoted to major of the regi-
ment. In this rank he served during the Shenandoah Valley
campaign of General Early until in the battle of Piedmont he
received a gunshot wound which narrowly missed his heart. While
in hospital at Montgomery, White Sulphur Springs, he was cap-



1152 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

tured by Federal raiders and paroled. Since the close of the war
he has been engaged in agriculture in Wythe county. In 1895 hr
was elected county treasurer.

Colonel Alexander Savage, of Nansemond county, Va., a gal-
lant cavalry officer of the army of Northern Virginia, was born in
the county where he now resides in the year 1831, the son of
John Savage, a prosperous farmer. Prior to the war he was en-
gaged in the naval stores trade in North and South Carolina. He-
entered the military service in April, 1861, as orderly-sergeant of
a Nansemond cavalry company which was assigned as Company I
to the Thirteenth regiment, Virginia cavalry, and manifesting sol-
dierly ability that warranted unusual promotion, he became cap-
tain in 1862. During the last year of the war he commanded his-
regiment with the rank of colonel. Mr. Savage was with his regi-
ment under the command of Colonel (afterwai'd General) Chambliss
in the vicinity of Norfolk during the first year of the war, and
later in operations about Richmond, and in North Carolina during:
the Maryland campaign. Still later in 1862 the regiment was on
duty between Warrenton and Fredericksburg, and afterward-
joined the cavalry command of Gen. J. E. B. Stuart, in the brigade
of W. H. F. Lee, which, during the Gettysburg campaign was
under the command of Colonel Chambliss. Captain Savage took
part in Stuart's movement around the Federal army and the fierce
cavalry fight on the field of Gettysburg. Subsequently he was
identified with the operations of his command through the fall of
1863, the fighting of 1864 from the Wilderness to Cold Harbor,
and the engagements in the defense of Petersburg and Richmond
until March 31, 1865, when in a fight with Sheridan's cavalry at
Chamberlain's Creek, he was struck by a minie ball in the kne&
joint, receiving a wound which made it necessary to amputate his
leg. The evacuation of Richmond immediately followed while he
was in the field hospital, and when he was again able to move
about, in June, 1865, the war was ended. After this he engaged
in the commission business at Norfolk until 1894, when he retired
to his beautiful country home in Nansemond county. He was a
gallant soldier, was in every engagement of his command and
took pride in sharing with his men all the hardships and dangers
of war. Colonel Savage has five children by his first wife, Miss
Sarah Lee, daughter of John R. Lee, of Virginia; and in 1894 he
was married to a daughter of Dr. Lewis, of Norfolk.

William Elmore Savage, a popular citizen of Norfolk, who ren-
dered service to the Confederacy during his boyhood, was born
in Northampton county in 1848. His father, Peter B. Savage, a
descendant of one of the old families of the State, and a son of
Calvin Savage, a soldier of the war of 1812, was a prominent
business man of Norfolk until his death in 1869. The wife of the
latter was Jane Read, daughter of Dr. Calvin Read, of Northamp-
ton county, and a descendant of a family which has long been
identified with the Old Dominion. Luther Read, an uncle of
Mr. Savage, represented his county in the Virginia legislature for
a considerable period. W. E. Savage was reared at Norfolk from
the age of two years, and being thirteen years old when the war
broke out, was not permitted to enlist. But he took a lively in-
terest in the military organization, and was assigned to duty as
dispatch bearer between Colonel Blanchard and General Huger,



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1153

-who was in command in that district. He continued in this serv-
ice until the evacuation in May, 1862, when he was not allowed to
accompany the troops. Subsequently he managed to "run the
blockade" several times, and communicate with the Confederate
forces. At the age of nineteen he became assistant to the builder
of the street railroad of Norfolk, and then became superintendent
of the system. After an efficient service of eighteen years in
this capacity he retired and spent three years in travel. Since
189s he has acted as agent of the Ocean View railroad. He has
taken a prominent part in politics and has served as delegate in
many Democratic State conventions, but has persistently declined
official honors.

Charles Schroeder, now a prosperous merchant of Norfolk, Va.,
has a record in connection with the Confederate service replete
with exciting adventures, of which only a brief but suggestive
statement may here be made. Born at Portsmouth January 22,
1836, he entered the engineer corps of the United States navy in
1853, and had risen to the rank of past assistant engineer when
his State united its fortunes with the Confederacy. He then re-
signed his commission and tendered his services to the govern-
ment at Richmond, where he was cordially welcomed and as-
signed to the navy with the rank of chief engineer. He was first
detailed for special duty for several months with Com. Matthew
F. Maury, and subsequently served at Richmond with duties in
connection with the naval batteries and the James river squadron.
While stationed at the capital he acted as a member of the first
naval examining board of engineers of the Confederate govern-
ment. He was then appointed special agent of the government
for the purchase of naval supplies, an office which required him to



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 133 of 153)