Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 134 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 134 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


frequently evade the Federal blockade of Southern ports. On this
duty he also acted as chief engineer of the vessel upon which he
took passage. When the expedition was organized under the
command of Capt. John Wilkinson for the relief of the Confed-
erate prisoners at jfohnson's island, Ohio, through Canada, he
was detailed as chief engineer, and accompanied the party from
Wilmington, N. C, on board the blockade-runner Robert E. Lee.
Upon arriving at Halifax the party separated to avoid suspicion,
and meeting again at Montreal, proceeded to St. Catherines.
There they were chagrined by the information that their enterprise
had been made public, and was consequently impossible to ac-
complish. Returning to Halifax they sailed for Bermuda and
attempted to enter the port at Wilmington, but were chased by
blockade cruisers and forced to run their vessel upon Dauber's
Beach, near Georgetown, S. C, and abandon her. On his return
to Richmond he received orders to resume his duties as purchas-
ing agent, and was able several times subsequently to evade the
Federal blockade and successfully reinforce the Confederate mili-
tary supplies, until he was seized with the yellow fever and con-
fined to his bed for several months with that dangerous malady.
When he recovered he was assigned as chief engineer to the
cruiser Tallahassee. In this vessel he made a very successful
cruise, capturing several Federal merchantmen, some of whom
were bonded and others destroyed. Unfortunately, however, on
running into the Bermudas for recoaling, the Tallahassee was al-
lowed to take only enough coal to carry her to Wilmington. Ar-



1154 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

riving there the cruising enterprise was abandoned and the boat
dismantled. Mr. Schroeder was then ordered to England on
special duty, in which he was engaged when the war terminated.
He went from there to Halifax and engaged in the mercantile
business for two years with Capt. John Wilkinson and Capt. John
Taylor, afterward withdrawing from the firm to return to Ports-
mouth, Va. About eighteen months later he went to San Fran-
cisco, and accepted the position of chief engineer in the employ-
ment of the Pacific steamship mail company. In this capacity he
went to China and remained there for a period of five years.
Finally returning to Virginia to remain permanently in May,
1873, he embarked in the general hardware trade as a member of
the firm of E. V. White & Co., with which he has been connected
now nearly a Quarter of a century. During this period he has
been recognized as a prominent and influential citizen, and has
been honored with election to the city council. He was married
in 1861 to Mary E., daughter of Samuel G. City, an officer of the
United States navy, and they have four children: Eugenie, Mary,'
William and Lucrece. Mr. Schroeder is the son of Antonio
Schroeder, a native of Prussia, who came to Norfolk in 1834, and
was engaged in farming until his death in 1854.

George W. Scott, of Danville, Va., was born in Orange county,
N. C, August 20, 1848. His parents, John and Martha (Crab-
tree) Scott, gave five sons to the service of the Confederate States:
Henry, Thomas, William, George W. and John; two of whom,
Thomas and William, died from measles during the war. George
W. was reared on the home farm and was left at home by his
older brothers as they went out to battle, his age not permitting
his enrollment. But in January, 1864, being then in his sixteenth
year, he managed to enlist in the Thirty-first North Carolina reg-
iment, Clingman's brigade, Hoke's division, with which he served
as a private, going into Virginia when Richmond was threatened
by Butler, and participating in several brisk skirmishes as well as
the battles of Drewry's Bluff and Bottom Church. In the latter
engagement May 20, 1864, while in the act of shooting, his left
wrist was struck by a rifle ball, which tore its way through the
right arm to the elbow, shattering the bones in its course. In
spite of this injury the heroic boy soldier walked two miles and a
half to an improvised hospital where he underwent the amputa-
tion of his arm. This rendered him unfit for further service, and
he returned to his home. In 1872 he removed to Danville, from
North Carolina, where he is now prominent in the tobacco and
lumber trade. In 1880 he was married to Laura A. Guerrant, and
they have five children.

Henry C. Scott, whose later life has been passed at Ashland,
Va., is a native of Baltimore, Md., where he was a participant in
the exciting events which accompanied the military occupation of
that State by the Northern troops. His father, Thomas Parkin
Scott, prominent in the annals of that period, was the son of Judge
John Scott, of Baltimore, and his wife, Elizabeth Goodwin Dorsey,
of a well-known family in Maryland. Thomas Parkin Scott took to
wife Juliana M., daughter of Abram and Julia (De Bussy) White,
and entering the practice of law at Baltimore, rose in his pro-
fession to the station of justice of the supreme court of the city.
He was an ardent sympathizer with the cause of Southern inde-



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1155

pendence and labored earnestly to bring Maryland into line with
the movement. Early in i86i arms were issued to him by Gov-
ernor Letcher for the use of Maryland volunteers. As a member
of the legislature in 1861, he endeavored to secure the passage of
an ordinance of secession, and so incurred the enmity of the Fed-
eral authorities that he was ordered to be arrested with others
upon the meeting of the legislature in September, 1861. Subse-
quently he was confined in military prison for a year, and when
he again received his liberty his health was so broken that he
could not gratify his desire to take up arms in the Southern cause.
His death, hastened by the rigors of prison life, occurred within
the decade following the war. Dr. Henry C. Scott, born at Bal-
timore July 6. 1828, was educated at St. Mary's college, that city,
and Mount St. Mary's, near Emmitsburg, after which he studied
law with his father, and was admitted to practice. But preferring
the profession of medicine, he prepared himself for the latter under
the preceptorship of Dr. Nathan R. Smith, of Baltimore, and was
graduated in the medical department of the State university in
1855. He then entered upon the practice at his native city. Be-
coming a member and surgeon of the Baltimore City Guard, he
accompanied it to Harper's Ferry in 1859, and after the capture of
John Brown, dressed the wounds of the raider. In April, 1861,
he participated in the attack on the Sixth Massachusetts regiment
in the streets of Baltimore, and was active in all the exciting
events at Baltimore and vicinity at that period. Subsequently
escaping from Baltimore he made his way to Richmond, and en-
listed in Company C of the First Maryland infantry regiment. He
served with this command as corporal and later as sergeant until
1862, when he was transferred to the medical department and as-
signed as assistant surgeon to the Jackson hospital, Richmond,
where he served until the end of the struggle. Since May, 1865,
he has made his home and the field of his professional work at
Ashland, and has had a successful career. In W. B. Newton camp.
Confederate Veterans, he holds the rank of second lieutenant.
In 1853, Dr. Scott was married to Caroline A., daughter of Capt.
Thomas J. Baird, U. S. A., granddaughter of Mathew Carey, the
famous philanthropist of Philadelphia, and niece of Henry C.
Carey, the eminent political economist. Dr. Scott has three sons
living: Edward L. C, Thomas Parkin and Henry C. Jr.

James E. Scott, a leading business man of Norfolk, was born
at Hillsboro, N. C, November 22, 1843, the son of William C.
Scott, a native of North Carolina, born in 1801, who removed,
when James was ten years of age, to Princess Anne county, Va.,
and there passed the rest of his life, dying in 1880. The family
had emigrated two generations before to North Carolina from
Maryland. The wife of William C. Scott was Mary E., daughter
of Joseph Brown, a Pennsylvanian, and Sarah (Brownrig) Brown,
a native of North Carolina. Upon the farm of his father in Princess
Anne county, James E. passed his youth up to the age of eighteen
years, when he entered the Confederate army as a private in Com-
pany I of the Fifteenth Virginia cavalry, with which he served to
the end of the war. He was stationed at Norfolk until its evac-
uation May 10, 1862, when his command went to Petersburg, and
on to Richmond before the Seven Days' battles, in which, how-



1156 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

ever, it was impossible for the cavalry to take a very active part.
From Richmond he went with his company to Chesterfield county
where he was engaged in picket duty, and thence to Southampton
county in August, 1862, in the same line of service, and then, in
October, 1862, to Fredericksburg. Arriving there on November
8th, Company I had its first cavalry fight on the next day in the
streets of the town with Federal troopers under Dahlgren, with a
successful issiie. The company participated in the battle of De-
cember I2th, in which the regiment lost a number of men. Mr.
Scott served with his command from that time until the following
May upon picket duty on the Rappahannock river, and then par-
iicipated in the battle of Chancellorsville, on the extreme right
of the Confederate army. On September 13th, after another term
.of picket duty, the company had its first important cavalry fight
■at Culpeper Court House, where many of its men fell. This was
followed by the serious and bloody encounter at Brandy Station
on October nth. The following winter was spent on the Rapi-
dan river, and in May, 1864, the Fifteenth regiment took part in
the three days' struggle at Spottsylvania, where it suffered severely
and lost its colonel, Charles Collins. Operating against Sheridan
in his raid toward Richmond they fought at Yellow Tavern, May
loth, and upon the day before the battle of Cold Harbor they
participated in the spirited cavalry fight for position. Called out
again by Federal raids the regiment fought at Louisa Court House
and Trevilian Station in June, 1864, and in July at Reams' Sta-
tion. This active and creditable service was continued during the
succeeding autumn as a part of the army under Early in the
Shenandoah valley, fighting in many engagements, the most mem-
orable of which were Winchester and Cedar Creek. After pass-
ing the winter near Staunton the regiment moved to Richmond
and Petersburg and participated in the battles of Five Forks and
Sailor's Creek, but Private Scott, having availed himself of a fur-
lough in order to replace his horse which had been killed, missed
the final struggles and the events at Appomattox. After the sur-
render of General Johnston at Greensboro he was paroled at Nor-
iolk, and was ready to take up the duties of civil life. In 1866 he
entered the drug business as a partner of his brother. Dr. William
W. Scott, and with the exception of eight years spent in farm-
ing, he has since quite successfully conducted this business. Mr.
Scott is a member of Pickett-Buchanan camp of United Confed-
erate Veterans. He was married in 1870 to Eva Burroughs, who
died in 1883, leaving four children: Edgar B., Mary B., Lilian C.
and James A. By his second marriage, in 1887, to Mrs. Elizabeth
Scharch, Mr. Scott has two children: Elizabeth V. and William R.
Captain R. Taylor Scott, in his lifetime a distinguished citizen
•of Warrenton, Va., who was twice elected to the office of attor-
ney-general of Virginia, was born at Warrenton, Fauquier county,
■ March 10, 1834. He completed a literary course at the university
of Virginia in 1856, and was again graduated at that institution in
law, in 1857, after which he was admitted to the bar. He em-
barked in the practice of his profession at Warrenton, but was
hardly well launched in that career when there came upon him
the patriotic duty of serving in the military defense of the State.
He enlisted in August, 1861, and was enrolled as captain of Com-
pany K of the Eighth Virginia volunteers, the command of Col.



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1167

Eppa Hunton. In October, 1861, he was taken with a severe
attack of typhoid fever and was disabled until January, 1862. Then
returning to his command, in the spring of 1862, he was appointed
by Maj.-Gen. George E. Pickett as a member of his stafif, with
the position of division quartermaster. In this important duty
he served during the remainder of the war. Before his illness he
was engaged in various skirmishes on the upper Potomac, and
while performing his staff duties, was under fire at Suffolk, Va.,
at the battle of Second Cold Harbor, and during the siege of
Petersburg. At Appomattox he was surrendered with General
Pickett's staff and paroled, being reported as sick in hospital,
though the fact was that he had escaped the surrender. He was
again paroled at Winchester, by General Hancock, and then re-
turned to Warrenton, and resumed the practice of law, in which
he gained honorable distinction. He was a member of the con-
stitutional convention of 1867, as delegate from the counties of
Fauquier and Rappahannock; in 1881-82 represented Fauquier and
Loudoun counties in the house of delegates, and in 1889 was
elected attorney-general of Virginia. To this office he was elected
for a second term of four years in 1893, and was filling this posi-
tion at the lime of his death in the summer of 1897. He main-
tained a membership in George E. Pickett camp at Richmond,
of the United Confederate Veterans.

William Marion Seay, of Lynchburg, Va., a veteran of the First
corps of the army of Northern Virginia, was born in the city
where he yet resides, in the year 1842. After a preparatory edu-
cation he entered the Lynchburg college, but hardly completed
his first year's studies when, on June 3, 1861, he entered the Con-
federate service as a private in the Lynchburg Rifles, or Company
E of the Eleventh regiment, Virginia infantry. With his regiment
under command of Col. Samuel Garland, he participated in the
fight at Blackburn's Ford, the battle of Manassas and the affair
at Dranesville in 1861. In 1862, under the brigade command of
Gen. A.- P. Hill, the regiment took a prominent part in the battles
of Yorktown and Williamsburg, then under the leadership of Gen
James L. Kemper. Sergeant Seay shared in the services of his
regiment at Seven Pines, and during the Seven Days' fighting
before Richmond, Groveton and Second Manassas, Fredericks-
burg, in 1862, and in 1863 participated in the campaign of Long-
street's corps about Suffolk and New Bern, N. C, and shared the
heroic fighting of Pickett's division at Gettysburg. During 1864
he was in the engagements at Drewry's Bluff and Milford Station
in May, and at the latter fight was captured by the enemy. He
was subsequently held for ten months in the Federal military prison
at Point Lookout, Md., not being released until March, 1865.
Upon reaching Virginia again he went to his home at Lynchburg,
on parole furlough, and was there at the time of the surrender at
Appomattox. Though engaged in many encounters with the enemy
he fortunately escaped with but one slight wound, received at
Seven Pines. Since the war he has been engaged in business as a
contractor and builder, at Knoxville, Tenn., from 1868 to 1873,
and subsequently at Lynchburg. In 1867 he was married at Alex-
andria to Alice R., daughter of the late Joseph Grigg, Jr. Mr.
Seay's family is of Welsh extraction. His father, George W. Seay,
served with the reserves at Lynchburg during the war of the Con-
Va7S



1158 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

federacy; and his two grandfathers, Joseph Seay and Henry George,
were soldiers in the war of 1812.

Lieutenant Arthur S. Segar, now residing near Hampton, Va.,
and prominent in the legal profession of both Hampton and New-
port News, was born in Accomack county, October 9, 1844, the
son of John and Charlotte (Simkins) Segar. His father was a
native of King William county and the descendant of a long line
of Virginia ancestors. His mother's father was Arthur Simkins,
who was born in Northampton county, the son of one of two
brothers who emigrated from England and settled, one in Vir-
ginia and one in South Carolina. When Lieutenant Segar was
but four years of age, he suffered the misfortune of the death of
his father, and at the age of seven he was taken into the home of
his uncle, Hon. Joseph Segar, of Elizabeth City county. He was
given an excellent education at the Hampton academy, a mili-
tary school, and the Danville military academy. The latter in-
stitution he left in the spring of 1861 to enlist in the service of
Virginia. He became a private in a volunteer company at Hamp-
ton, called the Wythe Rifles, and remained with this command
until September, 1861, the company being incorporated in the
Thirty-second Virginia infantry, and serving on the peninsula
under General Magruder. He was then transferred to the Sixth
Virginia regiment, with which he served on Craney island until
the evacuation of Norfolk and subsequently in the division of
General Huger in the battles around Richmond, including the
Seven Days' campaign. During the Manassas and Maryland cam-
paigns he was on detached duty, after which in September, 1862,
he was promoted first lieutenant of Company H, Thirty-eighth
Virginia regiment of Pickett's division. Throughout the remainder
of the war he shared the fortunes and misfortunes of Pickett's
Virginians, fighting at Fredericksburg, Spottsylvania, Gettysburg
and all their succeeding engagements. He participated in the im-
mortal assault at Cemetery hill, on July 3, 1863, in which eighteen
of the twenty-one men of his company were either killed or
wounded. Though struck four times by spent balls, he had the
good fortune to escape serious injury upon the field of Gettys-
burg, but with Beauregard, on May 16, 1864, in the battle at
Drewry's BlufiE, he was less lucky, receiving almost simultaneously
two serious wounds, one in the left leg and the other in the right
thigh. At the close of the war, after a gallant record in the army
of Northern Virginia, he found employment for two years in
Northampton county, teaching school, and subsequently continued
in the same occupation for two years at Norfolk. In 1869-70 he
served in the State legislature as one of the representatives of Nor-
folk, and made a creditable record in that public capacity. He
removed to Hampton in the fall of 1870 and after teaching school
there for three years, entered upon the practice of law in 1874.
He has ever since devoted himself to the law, and has achieved
a wide reputation for ability in his profession. For eight years
he discharged with notable skill the duties of commonwealth's at-
torney for the county of Elizabeth City. Giving particular atten-
tion to corporation practice he has for sixteen years held the
position of local attorney for the Chesapeake & Ohio railroad
company, and is attorney for the Newport News Ship Building &
Dry Dock company, the Old Dominion land company, and the



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1159

Newport News Light & Water company. Since i8go he has had his
legal office at Newport News, with which he is quite as prominently
identified as with Hampton, near where he makes his home. He is
an active member, and past commander of R. E. Lee camp, No. 3,
Confederate Veterans, of Hampton, and is held in high esteem by
his cornrades. On June 19, 1876, he was married to Miss Mary
Sue Winder, of Hampton, and they have six children.

Charles Selden, superintendent of the Richmond Railway &
Electric company, was born in Powhatan county, Va., in 1847, where
he was reared and educated and passed his youthful years during
the early part of the war of the Confederacy. Having reached the
age of seventeen in 1864, he enlisted in November as a private in
the Fourth Virginia cavalry, and subsequently fought with Early
in the valley of Virginia, participating in his first fight at Mount
Jackson. He continued with this command during the subsequent
campaigns and saw hard and dangerous fighting, which is evi-
denced by the fact that his company which started out with sixty-
eight men, lost sixty-five before Appomattox. Before the sur-
render he made his escape with others of the cavalry, and was pa-
roled at Richmond in June, 1865. After these events he sold his
horse and with the proceeds made his way to Texas, where he re-
mained two years. Returning to Virginia he found employment
for several years with the Chesapeake & Ohio railroad company,
for some time holding the position of paymaster in the construc-
tion department. Making his home at Richmond about the year
1884 he became superintendent of the Richmond Railway & Electric
company, a position he has since filled with much satisfaction to
the company and the public. He was a gallant soldier during his
youthful career in the army, and maintains his association with the
veterans of the army through membership in the R. E. Lee camp
of Confederate Veterans and the Powhatan troop association.

Lieutenant William H. Selden, proprietor of the Metropolitan
hotel at Washington, D. C, since 1880, is a native of Lynchburg,
Va., born in the year 1841. At the age of seventeen years he re-
moved to Carrollton, Mo., and being in that State at the outbreak
of the war enlisted in the State troops under General Price. But
in July, 1861, he returned to Virginia and became a member of
Company G of the Eleventh Virginia infantry regiment- In this
command he served in all its engagements from the first to the
second battles of Manassas. After the latter campaign he was trans-
ferred to the inspector-general's department, with the rank of lieu-
tenant, and served on the staff of Gen. E. Kirby Smith, his brother-
in-law, until the close of the war. General Smith being in command
of the Trans-Mississippi department, the remainder of Lieutenant
Selden's service was in that quarter. He surrendered to Gen.
Gordon Granger, at Galveston, Tex., and then returned to Lynch-
burg. In 1867 he removed to Memphis, Tenn., and thence to Ken-
tucky, and from that State in 1874, to t)anville, Va., where he em-
barked in the hotel business, which has been his occupation for
nearly a quarter century.

Henry C. Sellman. of Leesburg, is a native of Maryland, born
April 4, 1841. He resided in his native State until 1859, and
then returned after the beginnmg of the war, when like many other
spirited and chivalrous young Marylanders, he crossed the Potomac



1160 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

to enroll himself with the defenders of the Confederate cause. He
enlisted in October, 1861, as orderly-sergeant of Company B, made
up entirely of Marylanders, in the Thirty-fifth Virginia battalion,
under command of Col. E. V. White. With this gallant command
he participated in all the engagements that fell to its lot, except
during a period of six months, when he was disabled by a dangerous
and painful wound, a gunshot through the lung, received at the bat-
tle of Brandy Station. As soon as he was fit for duty, after this in-
jury, he returned to his battalion and remained with it until the end
of the struggle. Subsequently he made his home at Leesburg, be-
ing contented to remain in the commonwealth for which he had
fought, and engaged in the mercantile business, and was married
to Miss_ Mary L. Mott, a daughter of Dr. A. L. Mott, of that city,
a prominent physician and honored Confederate veteran. In the
years that have elapsed Mr. Sellman has prospered in business and
in all his enterprises. After eighteen years' connection with trade,
he retired from that occupation. For several years he has served
efficiently as secretary of the Loudoun county agricultural society.
He is a member of Clinton Hatcher camp, United Confederate Vet-
erans, and cherishes the memories of the Confederate cause.

Lieutenant Thomas Middleton Semmes, who since the war has
held the chair of modern languages at the Virginia military insti-
tute, is a native of the Old Dominion, born in Caroline county in
1840. He received his preparatory education at Richmond, then
entered the military institute, where he was graduated in i860. In
July, 1861, he entered the service of the Confederate States with
the rank of first lieutenant, and was assigned to duty as adjutant of
the Third Arkansas regiment of infantry. In this capacity he served
until October 4, 1861, when he was transferred to the stafif of Gen.
Henry R. Jackson, with whom he served as ordnance officer, until



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 134 of 153)