Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 137 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 137 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

bullet carried away his left elbow joint, in consequence of which
h e missed all the battles of that campaign. His next battle was
historic Gettysburg, where he led his company in the famous
charge of Pickett's division, and was again wounded, this time in
the leg, and was incapacitated for active field duty until the fol-
lowing September. But, on being restored he fought at the en-
gagement with Butler at Drewry's Bluff, and ,in the brilliant battle
called the Second Cold Harbor, where the Confederates repulsed
the Federals until they refused to charge. In command of the
Eleventh regiment he took part in the engagement near Chester
Station, June 16, 1864, and on the following day led the command
in another brisk action, which was witnessed by Gen. Robert E.
Lee, who highly complimented the division for skill and gal-
lantry. Subsequently during the long siege of Petersburg and
Richmond he served with his command on the Chesterfield line,
in Pickett's division of Longstreet's corps, and in the spring of
1865 participated in the actions at Dinwiddle Court House, March
31st, and at Five Forks, April ist. In the unfortunate disaster
at Sailor's Creek, April 6th, he was captured, and was sent to the
Old Capitol prison, and three weeks later to Johnson's island,
Ohio, where, with other officers, he was held two and a half
months after the surrender at Appomattox, not being released
until the last of June, 1865. At the first session of the legislature
after the war he was made brigadier-general of State troops, at
that date an office of much importance. In 1871 he led in the re-
organization of his old company, the Home Guards, which is still
maintained and served as captain until 1876. During the first few
years of his life at Lynchburg after the return of peace, he was
engaged in the tobacco business with an uncle, and in 1872 he


began the manufacture of tobacco in partnership with his brother,
G. W. Smith, which was continued until 1893. Since that date he
has devoted his attention to fire insurance agency.

John M. Smith, a prominent business man of Salem, was
born in Tazewell county in 1846, and there spent his infancy and
youth until at the age of sixteen years, he became a soldier in the
army of Northern Virginia. He enlisted in May, 1862, in the
Sixteenth regiment of Virginia cavalry, distinguished in the record
of the brigade of Gen. Albert G. Jenkins. With this command he
participated in the defeat of Milroy at Winchester, in the second
and third days' battles at Gettysburg, at ChancellorsviUe, Spottsyl-
vania Court House, Yellow Tavern, Trevilian's, Brandy Station.and
other affairs in which this active cavalry command found itself
involved until in the spring of 1865, when operating in defense of
the Confederate communications and sources of mineral supply in
southwestern Virginia, a field where the gallant Jenkins himself
lost his life, Private Smith received a gunshot wound through the
body and right lung, while participating in the afifair with Averell's
cavalry at Wytheville, Va., May 10, 1864. Before this, in an en-
gagement at Boonsboro, Md., he had been slightly wounded,
without being compelled to leave the service, but this latter injury
put an end to duty in the field, and rendered him an invalid for
two years after he was sent home on account of disability on
March 6, 1865. When the surrender occurred he was at home and
was paroled at Princeton, Va. It was not until 1867 that his
physical condition permitted him to find employment in a store at
Abb's Valley, where he remained and in 1869 engaged in the
management of a general store, which he conducted with much
success until 1889. Since the latter date he has resided at Salem,
and carried on a coal business. He served as commissioner of
revenue of Tazewell county from 1872 to 1876, and in 1896 was
elected to his third term as a member of the city council of Salem.
In 1872 he was married to Margaret S., daughter of the late John
W. Taylor, of Tazewell county, and they have four children:
Thomas T., Mary R., Pearl L. and Charles B. Jonathan Smith,
father of the foregoing, a native of Tazewell county, entered the
military service in 1863, as a member of Preston's Home Guards,
who served in protection of the salt wells in Washington county,
and remained on duty until the close of the war. His honorable
career, which included service for many years as magistrate in
Tazewell county, was closed by death on June 28, 1895.

Orlando Fairfax Smith, of Washington, D. C, was born at
Alexandria, Va., in 1842. His father, John W. Smith, a citizen
of Maryland, served in the war of the Confederacy as a sergeant,
and died at the age of seventy-eight years. His grandfather, John
M. Smith, also a native of Maryland, was a soldier of the Mary-
land Line during the war of the Revolution, and held the rank of
lieutenant. Mr. Smith was reared and educated at Alexandria, and
in 1858 became a member of the Old Dominion Rifles, a volunteer
military organization formed at that time, and with which he par-
ticipated in the following year at Harper's Ferry in the capture
of John Brown and the suppression of the attempted insurrection.
The company was again under arms as soon as Virginia had se-
ceded, and he served with the command in May, 1861, on guard
duty at Four Mile Run. Soon afterward the company joined the-


other forces at Manassas, and was organized in the Seventeenth
Virginia infantry as Company H. As a private in this company
β– he served throughout the war. He was engaged in battle at Bull
Run on July i8, 1861, at Manassas three days later, at Yorktown,
Wilhamsburg and the Seven Days' fighting of the Peninsular
campaign, at the close of which, while engaged in a charge upon
a Federal battery, he fell and was run over by a gun. The result
of this accident was the breaking of his arm, and his capture by
the Federals. As a prisoner of war he was sent to Fort Dela-
ware, where he was held for four months. When captured he had
the flag of his company, which he managed to secrete about his
body, and preserved it during his imprisonment, so that he had
the satisfaction, when exchanged and out of the hands of the Fed-
erals, but in their sight, to unwrap his flag, fasten it to i hoop-
pole and flaunt it in their faces. Rejoining his command. Private
Smith served in the trenches at Petersburg eight months, fought
at Brandy Station, where he was shot in the right thigh and re-
ceived a saber cut in the wrist, and at Five Forks, where he was
captured, but escaped during the following night, at Sailor's Creek
and at Appomattox, where he surrendered with the army and was

Robert R. Smith, now a prominent citizen and official of Nanse-
mond county, was identified in his military career with the Thir-
teenth Virginia regiment cavalry corps, army of Northern Vir-
ginia. He was born in Nansemond county in 184s, the son of
Maj. Robert R. Smith, a wealthy farmer and merchant who rep-
resented Nansemond county in the Virginia assembly. His grand-
father, Washington Smith, was also a prominent citizen of this
county. Mr. Smith was attending school in Dinwiddle county
when Virginia united her fortunes with the Confederacy, and he
subsequently was in school in Amelia county until the capture of
Roanoke island, when he returned home and enlisted as a private
in the Nansemond cavalry, under Captain Brewer. With this
command he served in the early part of 1862 in the operations in
l>[orth Carolina, acting as a vidette between the Chowan river and
Suffolk, and in the operations on the Blackwater, under General
Huger, until he was honorably discharged on account of physical
disability. In December, 1863, having recovered his health, he
rejoined his company, now Company I of the Thirteenth Vir-
ginia cavalry, commanded by Colonel Chambliss, and attached to
the brigade of Vy. H. F. Lee (afterward Chambliss' brigade), in
Fitzhugh Lee's division of Stuart's cavalry, and stationed at Char-
lottesville. During 1864 he took part in all the fighting of his
command, beginning at the Wilderness and Deep Bottom, where
General Chambliss fell, and the various operations about Rich-
mond and Petersburg. At the time of the surrender of the army
he was detailed to obtain horses for his company, and was at
Forge's depot in the midst of the Federal forces. He reached
home about the 20th of April, 1865, and soon afterward, under
the terms of President Johnson's amnesty proclamation, found it
necessary as a Confederate having an estate of more than $20,000,
to spend six or seven hundred dollars to regain his citizenship.
Since then he has been engaged in farming, also for a few years
.being connected with the mercantile trade, and for a time manag-
ing the hotel at Suffolk. He served eight years as sergeant for



the town of Suffolk, and since 1889 has held the office of clerk of
the Nansemond county court. In 1866 he was married to Laura
B., daughter of Mills C. Daughtrey, of Suffolk.

Lieutenant Thomas Washington Smith, of Suffolk, prominent
among the gallant soldiers of southeastern Virginia, and since
the war one of the most widely known and popular gentlemen
of the State, was born at Somerton, Nansemond county, June i,
1832. He is the son of Washington Smith, of that county, a pros-
perous planter and merchant, who served in defense of his country
as a captain in the war of 1812. Colonel Smith was reared and
educated amid the social environments of a great plantation of
the ante-bellum days, where the virtues of hospitality and the re-
quirements of manly honor reigned supreme. A son of the South
by birth, instinct and education, and sustained by the dignity of
ancestral rank and the resources of private fortune, he developed
into an ideal Southern gentleman. His youth passed, he embarked
in mercantile pursuits, to which he devoted himself for a few years
at Suffolk and subsequently in North CaroHna. Just before the
outbreak of war in 1861 he returned to Suffolk, and being thor-
oughly devoted to the cause of Virginia and the Confederacy,
raised a company for the defense of his State. He was elected
second lieutenant of this company, which was assigned to the
Sixteenth Virginia infantry regiment, and brigaded under the
command of General Mahone, subsequently of General Weisiger,
in Mahone's division of A. P. Hill's corps. With the splendid
record of this brigade he was identified, much of the time in com-
mand of his company, until the close of the struggle. He par-
ticipated in all the battles and campaigns of the army of Northern
Virginia, bravely taking his place among the heroes who held
the posts of danger; at Seven Pines and through the battles of
the Seven Days, until McClellan was driven from before the threat-
ened Confederate capital; in the second rout of the Federals at
Manassas, and in the gallant defense of the passes of South Moun-
tain, where the soldiers of the Confederacy were no less valorous
than Roland in the pass at Roncesvalle, at Sharpsburg, in the
Wilderness, on the Petersburg lines fighting against tremendous
odds and making the Crater the burial place of the enemy instead
of a gate to Richmond β€” through all this tremendous struggle he
did manfully and devotedly and modestly all that a brave man
could do for the cause to which he had devoted his life. Three
times he was wounded, once severely and twice slightly, at
Spottsylvania Court House, Malvern Hill and Hatcher's Run.
With a rare comradeship for the men in the ranks, he repeatedly
refused offers of promotion. On one occasion General Mahone
sent a messenger to inform him that he was promoted quarter-
master of the regiment, but Lieutenant Smith promptly replied,
"I won't accept it." This was the off-hand expression of his feel-
ings which he supposed the general's aide would translate into the
proper forms of official communication. But the words were re-
ported to Mahone verbatim, which caused that brave warrior to
exclaim: "Well, we'll see if he won't." The lieutenant was re-
quired to interview the general on the subject, but Mahone re-
spected his generous desire to stay in the line of duty with the
men whom he had enlisted for war, and permitted him to retain
his position. At Appomattox the remnants of two companies


were under his command, and they surrendered together to the in-
evitable. When further warlike endeavor was in vain he returned
to his home, to give his future efforts in his country's cause in
the peaceful channels of industry. He again engaged in the mer-
cantile pursuits he had abandoned, but two years later disposed
of this business, and since then has given his entire attention to
the management of his estate, and his financial interests, which
are important. For three years he held the position of president
of the Farmers' bank, and in 1889 he became president of the Suf-
folk national bank. In civil, as in military life, he has disregarded
title, and has never permitted himself to be drawn into the strife
for public office. He was elected lieutenant-colonel of the Fourth
Virginia regiment, in Gen. Fitz Lee's brigade, since the war and
resigned the position in 1892. A camp of Confederate Veterans
was organized in Sufifolk in 1895, known as Tom Smith camp,
C. v., in honor of Lieutenant Smith and he was elected its
commander. No man in southeastern Virginia is more widely
known and honored. His home life was one of typical happiness,
beautified by the gentle companionship of his wife, until her
death in 1890. She was Harriet G. Borland, to whom he was
married in 1869. She was a daughter of Dr. Roscius Borland, of
North Carolina, and a niece of Senator Borland, of Arkansas, who
served as a colonel in the Confederate States army. One of the
strongest characteristics of Colonel Smith is his loyalty and en-
during friendship for the survivors of the Confederate war, and
it may also be said that there can be no more convincing evidence
of his manly and noble nature than the love and respect which are
accorded him by his comrades. He has a particularly warm place
in the hearts of Confederate veterans on account of his generosity
in erecting at his own expense, in 1889, an imposing monumental
shaft to commemorate the Confederate dead at Sufifolk. Upon
the unveiling of this splendid tribute to his comrades, the beauty
and chivalry of eastern Virginia congregated to do honor to the
fallen heroes. The governor of the State, Gen. Fitzhugh Lee, was
present, and some of the ablest orators of the mother of States
contributed their eloquence to make the occasion impressive and
memorable. On the west side of the shaft is inscribed:
"Erected by Thomas W. Smith in memory of his comrades β€”
Confederate Dead."
On the south side:

To the Memory of the Confederate Dead:

This shaft, on which we carve no name.
Shall guide Virginia's youth β€”

A sign post on the road to fame.
To honor and to truth.

A silent sentry, it shall stand
To guard through coming time

Their graves who died for native land
And duty most sublime.
On the north side:

With shouts above the cannon's roar

They join the legion gone before;

They bravely fought, they bravely fell;

They wore the Gray and wore it well.


William Alexander Smith, a veteran of the Third Virginia regi-
ment, Kemper's brigade, Pickett's division, army of Northern Vir-
ginia, was born in Dinwiddie county in 1840. His father, John
Smith, a native of the same county, and a soldier of the war of
1812, was the son of Archibald Smith, a native of England. At
the time when events were crowding rapidly to the crisis which
brought about the formation of the Confederacy, Mr. Smith was
preparing for the profession of medicine, in New York city, but
he laid aside his studies, and on April 20, 1861, enlisted in Com-
pany E of the Third Virginia regiment of infantry. During 1861
he was stationed at Smithfield on the south side of the James, and
thence was transferred to the peninsula, where he participated in
the battles of Williamsburg and Seven Pines. On the latter field
he was taken with pneumonia, which caused his detention at
Chimborazo hospital for a time, but he was again in the ranks
in the battle of Second Manassas, and subsequently fought at Har-
per's Ferry, Sharpsburg and Fredericksburg. He was then ap-
pointed ordnance-sergeant of the Third regiment, and in this ca-
pacity he participated in its subsequent service in the Suffolk cam-
paign, the Virginia campaign and the defense of Petersburg. Upon
the evacuation of Richmond he was left in hospital and was paroled
there. A few years after the close of hostilities Mr. Smith resumed
his medical studies in New York, and receiving the degree of
M. D., entered upon the practice in Dinwiddie county, and con-
tinued in this professional work for ten years. He then gave his
attention to farming until 1893, when he was elected superintendent
of the almshouse at Petersburg. He is prominent in his church
and the I. O. O. F. and is a comrade of A. P. Hill camp, United
Confederate Veterans. In 1869 he was married to Miss Mary E.
King, of Sussex county.

William Pritchard Smith, a well-known business man of Rich-
mond, was born at Fredericksburg, July 31, 1840. When he
reached the age of sixteen years he went to Richmond, and
was a resident of that city when the war broke out. In July, 1861,
he enlisted as a private in the First Richmond Howitzers, and
subsequently participated with that noted artillery command in
the campaigns of the army of Northern Virginia until after the
battle of Gettysburg, where he was severely wounded. Among
the engagements in which he had the honor of doing gallant duty
were, besides the great Pennsylvania encounter already mentioned,
the actions at Ball's Bluflf, Williamsburg, Second Manassas, two
engagements at Fredericksburg and two at Harper's Ferry, and
Chancellorsville. At Gettysburg he suffered wounds which re-
quired the amputation of his right leg and a finger from his left
hand, and falling into the hands of the enemy, lay for six weeks
in the general hospital at that place, and was then transferred to
the hospital-prison at West's building, Baltimore, and six weeks
later was exchanged and admitted to the hospital at Richmond.
When sufficiently recovered, in the November following, he was
detailed to a position in the treasury department of the Confed-
erate government at Richmond, and served in that capacity about
one year. On receiving an honorable discharge he entered the
commission business at Richmond, but on the evacuation of the
city was so unfortunate as to lose his property and business. He
then passed several years in mercantile pursuits in North Carolina,


after which he returned to Richmond and became interested in
the firm of Taliaferro & Co., commission merchants, an associ-
ation which he continued for twenty-four years. Since 1892 he
has been occupied with various business enterprises and is now
general manager of the Virginia abstract company, of Richmond.
He maintains an active fellowship with his former comrades and
is a member and past commander of R. E. Lee camp. Confederate
Veterans, a member and ex-president of the Howitzer association,
and is past grand commander of the grand camp of Virginia, over
which he presided at two sessions.

Williamson Smith, a worthy Confederate veteran whQ at pres-
ent holds the position of city sergeant of Portsmouth, was born
at that city February 13, 1843. His parents, Wilson and Lydia
(Wakefield) Smith, both died while he was yet an infant, and he
was reared by his mother's sister, Mary Ann Collins, wife of Wil-
liam Collins, of Portsmouth. On April 17, 1861, he enlisted in
the service of Virginia as a private in Company A of the Six-
teenth Virginia regiment of infantry. His regiment, which was
assigned to Mahone's brigade, served until after Chancellorsville in
'Longstreet's corps, and subsequently in the corps of A. P. Hill,
and throughout in the division of General Anderson; and its gal-
lant actions during all the campaigns of the army of Northern
Virginia were shared by Private Smith. He was a member of the
sharpshooters of Mahone's brigade, well remembered for their
effective service. Among the important battles in which he par-
ticipated were: Malvern Hill, Second Manassas, Sharpsburg,
Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania
Court House, Cold Harbor, Reams' Station, the Crater and Five
Forks. He was captured by the enemy at Chancellorsville, but
fortunately was held as a prisoner only eleven days. At Five
Forks, in 1865, he was captured a second time, and on this occa-
sion was held at Point Lookout until June 20, 1865. After his
release he returned to Portsmouth, where he has been engaged
mainly during the subsequent years as a painter, and for five years
in the retail grocery trade. In May, i8go, he was elected city
sergeant, an office to which he was re-elected in 1892, 1894, 1896
and 1898. He is a charter member of Stonewall camp. United
Confederate Veterans, is fraternally connected with the Odd Fel-
lows, Royal Arcanum and Heptasophs, and holds a membership
in the Central Methodist church. He was married November
26, 1868, to Roselia Reiger, who died in September, 1887, leaving
six children. He was married October 27, 1892, to Miss Elizabeth

William A. Smoot, of Alexandria, for many years prominent
among the_ United Confederate Veterans of Virginia, was in 1895
elected major-general and grand commander of the organization
for that State. He is a native Virginian, born at Alexandria
August 30, 1840, where he was reared and educated, and has always
had his home except during the war. When it was decided in the
spring of 1861 that Virginia should ally her fortunes with the sister
States of the South, he was one of the foremost in urging and
approving of that step, and was determined to go into the field
if necessary to defend the action of the commonwealth. Though
he had nearly reached his majority his health was not robust, so


that it was doubtful if he could meet the physical requirements
then insisted on in the selection of soldiers. Fully resolved, how-
ever, to do what he could, he enlisted in June, 1861, as a private
in the Alexandria Rifles, an old organization of militia which in
the following April was mustered into the service of the Confed-
erate States as Company A of the Seventeenth Virginia regiment.
At that time he was rejected on account of his physical disability,
but he persisted on remaining with the company and served with-
out pay as a volunteer until the reorganization of the army before
Yorktown, in April, 1862. Then upon the advice of Surgeon M.
M. Lewis, he enlisted in the Black Horse Troop, or Company H,
of the Fourth Virginia cavalry. With this gallant command he
served as a private throughout the remainder of the war, soon
after his enlistment going into action in the fights at Williams-
burg, Va., and vicinity. He was with the famous Black Horse
Troop under Capt. W. H. Payne, afterward promoted general, and
Capt. Robert Randolph, in Stuart's raid around McClellan's army
in the Peninsular campaign, with them under Stonewall Jackson,
and in all their engagements when not prevented by the many
wounds he received in their numerous encounters with the enemy.
He was first wounded in the action at Frayser's Farm, on the pe-
ninsula, June 30, 1862, receiving a severe injury. At Turkey creek
he was again wounded, and again more severely at the second
battle of Manassas, August 29, 1862. In the fall of 1862, at Lib-
erty Mills, he was slightly wounded in the right foot, and in the
spring of 1864 while on a scouting expedition near Warrenton,
Va., received such severe gunshot wounds that the Federals, to
whose mercies he was necessarily left, did not disturb him, the
wounds being to all appearances mortal. With indomitable pluck
he recovered from his injuries and rejoined his comrades, with
whom he fought to the end, notwithstanding still further slight
wounds received in the fall of 1864, near Nokesville, Va., where
he distinguished himself by the capture of the stand of colors
of the Fourteenth New York regiment, and in the spring of
1865, just before the evacuation of Petersburg, while participating
in Coartz' raid in Dinwiddle county. He was paroled at Win-
chester in May, 1865, and then returned to his home in Alexandria,

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 137 of 153)