Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 139 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 139 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

October, 1865. His military service with the army of Northern
Virginia included all its battles except the Second Manassas and
Sharpsburg, and was distinguished by bravery and devotion. Since
the close of the war period he has been engaged in legal practice
at Richmond.

Putnam Stith, well known at Norfolk as the manager and
superintendent of the Virginia club, was born in Nottoway county,
June 22, 1840. He is the son of Putnam Stith, a planter, and
directly descended from the founder of the Stith family in Vir-
ginia, who was a member of the Jamestown colony in the days
of Capt. John Smith. One of his colonial ancestors was the author
of the famous "Stith" history of Virginia, now valued so highly


that a price of $500 is set upon the volume. Later members of
the family served with conspicuous gallantry in the war of the
Revolution. His mother, Mary Poythress Epes, was a daughter
of Francis Epes, who was a captain in the war of the Revolution,
serving under a commission from Patrick Henry, and a descendant
of Colonel Poythress, who is buried at Westover, on the James
river. After receiving his education at private schools in his
native county, Mr. Stith went to Petersburg at the age of seven-
teen, and secured employment with the railroad now known as
the Norfolk & Western, in which he remained until April 19,
1861. He then enlisted in the Petersburg Riflemen, mustered in
with the Twelfth Virginia regiment of infantry and served with
that command throughout the war. Stationed at Norfolk during
the Confederate occupation of that city, he witnessed the encounter
of the Virginia and the Monitor. Subsequently he moved to
Petersburg and Richmond, and participated in the battle of Seven
Pines, where he was severely wounded and disabled for several
months. Joining his regiment in front of Fredericksburg, he par-
ticipated in the Virginia campaigns until after Chancellorsville,
and then served in the Pennsylvania campaign, fighting at Get-
tysburg, and joining in the memorable retreat to Orange Court
House. During 1864 he fought at the Wilderness, Spottsylvania
Court House, Cold Harbor, and then went into the trenches at
Petersburg. During the battle of the Crater, July 30, 1864, he
participated in the Confederate charge and was seriously wounded,
receiving a gunshot in the lungs, which disabled him for four
months. Not discouraged, however, he returned to the ranks as
soon as his health permitted and was with his company until the
surrender at Appomattox. This long and gallant service ended, he
returned at once to the quiet routine of peace, and soon became
engaged as manager of a hotel at Petersburg, Va., where he con-
tinued successfully and gaining a widespread reputation in that line
of business, until 1893, when he was called to Norfolk as manager
and superintendent of the Virginia club. He maintains a member-
ship in the A. P. Hill camp of Confederate Veterans at Petersburg.
William Epes Stith, second assistant chief of the eastern divis-
ion of the United States pension department, is a native of Vir-
ginia and was a gallant soldier, among a family of soldiers, who
served in her defense during the war of the Confederacy. He was
born in Nottoway county in 1846, and there reared and educated.
After reaching the age of sixteen years he entered the service of
the Confederate States in the winter of 1862-63, in the City bat-
talion, organized at Petersburg, and was soon afterward trans-
ferred to Company E of the Twelfth Virginia infantry regiment,
with which he served in Mahone's brigade, in nearly all the fights
around Petersburg and on the Bermuda line. On the retreat to
Appomattox, while serving in a detail to fire the high bridge, he
was captured on April 7, 1865, and being sent as a prisoner of war
to Point Lookout, was not released until June 19th, although the
army had been paroled but a few days after his capture. After
his release he returned to his home in Nottoway county, and re-
mained there until his removal to Petersburg, in 1870. At that
city he engaged in the tobacco business, and remained there
until 1879, after which he was engaged for three years in agri-
cultural pursuits in Lunenburg county. In 1882 he made his home
Ta 75


at Washington and entered the government civil service in the pen-
sion office, with which he has since been connected. Four brothers
of Mr. Stith also participated in the service of the Confederate
army: Frank E., who now resides at Mobile, Ala.; John W., a
resident of Wharton, Tex.; Cincinnatus, who died from wounds
received at Gettysburg; and Putnam, whose home is at Crewe, Va.
Hugh Stockdell, M. D., late surgeon of the Confederate States
army, was born at Petersburg, where he now resides, in the year
1835. He is the son of Dr. John Young Stockdell, a prominent
physician of his day, a native of Virginia, who was educated at
VVilliam and Mary college and the university of Virginia, and
died in 1840. Dr. Stockdell, after preparatory study in the Peters-
burg schools, pursued professional studies in the university of
Virginia and the Jefiferson medical college of Philadelphia, receiv-
ing the degree of doctor of medicine from the latter institution.
His professional work, begun at Petersburg in i860, was soon in-
terrupted by the exciting events of i860 and 1861. Promptly en-
listing in the Confederate service he was commissioned assistant
surgeon in 1861, and after serving in that capacity until 1863 he
was promoted to surgeon with the rank of major and assigned to
the Cape Fear division of North Carolina as medical purveyor,
with headquarters at Wilmington. He remained at this post
until its evacuation by the Confederate forces, who united with
the army under Gen. J. E. Johnston. At the time of the surrender
at Greensboro, Surgeon Stockdell had in his possession almost
the entire store of medical supplies of the army. Ever since the
conclusion of hostilities he has been actively engaged in the prac-
tice of his profession at Petersburg, and his life has been a ijseful
and successful one, both socially and professionally. He is a mem-
ber of the State and local medical societies, has served five years
upon the medical examining board of Virginia, and has made val-
ued contributions to the medical press. With loyalty to his old
companions of the army he maintains a membership in A. P. Hill
camp. Confederate Veterans. Dr. Stockdell was married in 1856 to
Miss Kate McPherson, of Maryland, and they have five children
living: Hugh Jr., a graduate of the Virginia military institute; John
Y., William Meade, Frank M. and Katie McPherson.

James Love Stone, a prominent physician of Roanoke, who
served devotedly in the Confederate cause, was born in Mecklen-
burg county in 1834. There and in Amelia county he was reared
and educated preparatory to his embracing the profession of med-
icine. He pursued professional studies at the Ohio medical col-
lege at Cincinnati, and received there his degree of doctor of med-
icine in i8S7- Then locating in Prince Edward county he prac-
ticed his profession until the outbreak of the war. Loyal to the
call of the State, he entered the Confederate service in May, 1861,
as a private in Montague's infantry brigade. He served with this
command, frequently acting as assistant surgeon as well as fight-
ing in the ranks until May, 1862, when on account of physical
disability, his weight having been reduced from 193 to 80 pounds,
he was honorably discharged. Dr. Stone never has entirely re-
covered his health. When he left the service in 1863, thirteen
physicians pronounced his case hopeless and incurable. After
eighteen months of recuperation he again attempted the service
and re-enlisted as a private in the command of General Echols,


where he remained on duty until he broke down a second time in

the winter of 1864-65. During his service he participated in the
fight at Big Bethel and the battles on the peninsula, New River
Bridge, and skirmishes in West Virginia. After leaving the army
he made his home in Montgomery county, and was there en-
gaged in a successful practice until 1887, when he removed to
Roanoke, where he holds an honorable rank in the profession.
While a resident of Montgomery county he held for five years the
office of superintendent of schools.

Captain Stephen Hubbard Stone, of Pulaski City, participated
throughout the Confederate war in the making of the gallant rec-
ord of the Fiftieth Virginia regiment. He was born in Carroll
county, October 9, 183S, whence at ten years of age he re-
moved to Wythe county, and from there in 1853 to Pulaski county,
where he has ever since made his residence. He entered the mil-
itary service July I, 1861, as first lieutenant in Company I of the
Fiftieth Virginia infantry. Col. A. W. Reynolds commanding,
brigade of Gen. John B. Floyd, and was stationed first at Camp
Bee, near Sweet Springs, but the regiment was organized at Camp
Jackson. Thence they moved early in August toward Lewisburg,
now West Virginia, and the company took part in the battles of
Cross Lanes and Gauley Bridge, Lieutenant Stone not participat-
ing, however, on account of illness. The regiment was almost
annihilated by sickness during this campaign and he suffered for
some time with typhoid fever. General Floyd occupied the south-
ern half of the Kanawha valley, in which loyalty to Virginia was
the predominant sentiment, and the Fiftieth was stationed at Ral-
eigh, where Captain Stone joined his command after recovering,
and proceeded with Floyd's brigade to Bowling Green, Ky., and
thence to Fort Donelson. There he participated in the gallant
fight against Grant's army, and then escaping from the fort with
his Virginia comrades, went to Murfreesboro, whence he returned
to Virginia. Upon the reorganization in the spring of 1862 he
was promoted captain, and in this rank he served in the second
expedition down the Kanawha valley under General Loring, par-
ticipating in the fights at Lewisburg, Fayetteville and Charleston,
where he aided in extinguishing the fire set by the Federal sol-
diers. Subsequently he went on another expedition below Charles-
ton under General Echols, and in October was at the Narrows of
New river. In the following winter he served with his regiment
on the Blackwater river under the command of Gen. Roger A.
Pryor, and took part in the brisk engagement at Kelly's place, in
which Col. Thomas Poage, of the Fiftieth, was killed. Early in
April with his regiment, he joined the army of Northern Virginia
and was assigned to Paxton's brigade, Trimble's division, Jack-
son's corps. In the battle of Chancellorsville the regiment was
distinguished for gallant fighting and severe loss. In the first
attack the command drove the enemy from their breastworks and
captured many prisoners and a battery of twelve guns, and on the
next day participated in the repeated charges which forced the
Federals to abandon their apparently impregnable works on Chan-
cellor heights. On the second day of the Gettysburg battle he
fought in the attack of Johnson's division on Gulp's hill, in
the fall was in the battle of Mine Run, and in the Wilderness


campaign shared the fighting of his division from May sth until
it was almost entirely destroyed on the morning of May I2th at
the "bloody angle," on the field of Spottsylvania. Escaping this
disaster he fought under Gordon at Cold Harbor, marched with
Early to the relief of Lynchburg, and after the latter campaign,
having so lost his voice that he could not serve efficiently in com-
mand, he was detailed as enrolling officer in Botetourt county.
He was there on duty at the end of hostilities in Virginia, when
Lee surrendered at Appomattox on April pth.

Richard H. Strattan, the great-grandson of an artillery officer
of the Revolutionary war, and a veteran of Fitz Lee's cavalry,
was born at Staunton, Va., February 13, 1844. At the beginning
of hostilities in 1861, he was but a little past seventeen years of
age and had received a good education at Lexington and Char-
lottesville, and was employed in a drug store at the latter place.
In the latter part of 1861 he began service in the Confederate field
hospital, and in February, 1862, having reached his eighteenth
birthday, he enlisted as a private in . Company I of the Fifth Vir-
ginia cavalry, beginning a career of faithful and gallant service
which continued until he was paroled at Appomattox. This was
Colonel Rosser's old regiment, and was attached to Robertson's
and later to Fitzhugh Lee's brigade of Stuart's cavalry. He par-
ticipated in many battles and skirmishes, prominent among which
were the famous engagements at Frayser's Farm, Second Ma-
nassas, Sharpsburg, Brandy Station, thfe Wilderness, Five Forks
and Farmville. On June 17, 1863, at Aldie, Va., he was captured
by the enemy, and was subsequently confined about two months in
the Old Capitol prison at Washington before he was exchanged.
After the close of the war he returned to Albemarle county and
farmed for one season, then making his residence at Gordonsville,
where he has since resided. He soon embarked in the drug bus-
iness, and is now one of the leading business men of the town. He
has taken an active part in the work of organization of the sur-
vivors of the glorious army of Northern Virginia, and was one of
the prime movers in the formation of William S. Grymes camp,
No. 724, U. C. v., and No. 35, Virginia, at Gordonsville, -of which
he serves as adjutant. In 1869 he was married to Miss M. E. At-
kins, of Gordonsville, and they have seven children living.

Major Charles S. Stringfellow, of Richmond, prominent in the
professional and social life of the city, was born in Clarke county,
Va., in 1837. His family has long been seated in the State, he
being a member of the fifth generation in Virginia. The great-
great-grandfather came to the State from England; his son served
in the Indian wars as a colonial soldier and his son Robert was
a prosperous farmer of Culpeper county; and the son of the latter,
Horace Stringfellow, was a well-known practitioner of law in Mad-
ison county, until about the age of thirty-two years, when he took
orders in the Episcopal church and served as a rector until his
death in l88s, at the age of eighty-six years. Charles S. String-
fellow, son of the latter, was reared at Washington, D. C, to the
age of ten years, and subsequently at Petersburg, and other points
at which his father was stationed in Virginia. In 1855 he was
graduated at William and Mary college, and then after teaching
school for two years he began preparation for a career in the pro-
fession of law. He studied at the university of Virginia, and em-


barked in practice at Petersburg, but was soon called from civil
affairs to the defense of the State from the invasion which followed
the secession of the Southern States from the Union. In June,
1861, he volunteered as a private in the Petersburg Rifles, mustered
into the service as Company E of the Twelfth Virginia infantry
regiment, but after a brief association with this command he. re-
ceived a commission as captain, and was assigned to the adjutant-
general's department, where his line of duty continued until the
close of the war. His efficiency and meritorious service were reward-
ed by promotion to the rank of major in March, 1863. His duties
were arduous and important, and performed throughout a wide
field, extending from West Virginia to the Gulf. He served as ad-
jutant-general and chief of staff of Gen. Samuel Jones, command-
ing the army at Pensacola, from early in 1862, and continued with
him in his subsequent commands of a division of the army in the
West, and of Bragg's base of operations at Chattanooga, during
the Kentucky campaign; the department of East Tennessee; the de-
partment of Western Virginia from December, 1862, to March, 1864,
the department of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida, the dis-
trict of South Carolina until 1865, afterward with General Holmes
until the close of the war. He was also upon the staff of Gen. John
C. Breckinridge during the early part of 1864. He was paroled at
Cumberland Court House in June, 1865, and then returned to his
professional career at Petersburg. In 1881 he made his home at
Richmond, where he has subsequently held high rank in the legal
profession, and is greatly esteemed for his worth as a citizen.

William C. Stuart, now a worthy citizen of Lexington, Va., was
one of the gallant young heroes who reinforced the army of
Northern Virginia in the closing year of the unequal struggle, to
battle against great odds with courage that was unflinching to the
end. He was born in Rockbridge county in 1845, and entered the
Confederate service from Lexington in February, 1864, as a pri-
vate in the Rockbridge artillery. He participated in an action at
Appomattox Court House in the spring of 1864, fought at Cold
Harbor, where he was wounded and subsequently disabled for two
weeks, and took part in the skirmishing below Richmond, fight-
ing gunboats, etc., until the evacuation on April 2, 1865, when he
joined in the retreat to Appomattox, fighting at Farmville and
surrendering with the army. After this he returned to his home
and presently became engaged in mercantile pursuits. In 1877 he
engaged in the book trade, which is his present occupation. Of
Lee-Jackson camp of United Confederate Veterans, he is one of
the most active and valuable members, and holds the position of

Thomas Jefferson Stubbs, of Williamsburg, professor of mathe-
matics at WilHam and Mary college, and first commander of Ma-
gruder-Ewell camp. United Confederate veterans, was born in
Gloucester county, Va., September 14, 1841. His father was Jeffer-
son W. Stubbs, a native of the same county, a merchant and farmer,
and for many years a presiding justice, who lived to his eighty-
sixth year. The wife of the latter was Ann Walker Carter Baytop,
daughter of James Baytop, a sergeant in the war of 1812, and grand-
daughter of Capt. Thomas Baytop, an artillery officer in the conti-
nental army. She had two brothers in the Confederate service —
James Christopher and William Jones, the latter of whom bore the


rank of lieutenant until killed at the battle of Seven Pines. Of the
twelve children of these parents, Professor Stubbs was the second
son. Two of his brothers bore arms for the Confederacy — ^Jaraes
N., who served as a major in the signal corps, and William Carter,
orderly-sergeant of Company D, Twenty-fourth Virginia cavalry.
Professor Stubbs received his preparatory education at Cappahosic
academy, and then entered William and Mary college, where he
received the degree of bachelor of arts in i860. In the fall of that
year he began post-graduate studies at the same institution, but
this work was soon interrupted by the thrilling events in the South.
On May 16, i86i, he enlisted as a private in the Gloucester artillery,
and was so borne on the rolls throughout the four years' war.
His company, known as the "Red Shirts," served at Gloucester
Point until the spring of 1862, and later was enrolled as Company
A, Thirty-fourth Virginia infantry. Not long after his enlistment
he was detailed in the signal corps, and subsequently he served
the greater part of the time as ordnance sergeant and sergeant-
major. Returning to the ranks during the siege of Petersburg, he
took part in the closing struggle on the lines, and was captured
March 31, 1865, while carrying from the field the body of his brave
and gallant lieutenant, W. D. Miller, who had been mortally
wounded. He was taken by his captors before Gen. Nelson A.
Miles, who interrogated him as to the number of men in General
Lee's command. Stubbs immediately replied: "General, do you
suppose 1 would tell you, if I knew," and Miles ordered hirn taken
on to the rear. He was imprisoned at Point Lookout until June
20, 1865. On his return to Virginia he attended the university of
Virginia one year, and then went to Arkansas, where he resided
until 1888, with the exception of one year as master of the gram-
mar school at William and Mary. While in the West he was for
sixteen years professor of mathematics and history in Arkansas
college, served two terms as a member of the legislature, and for
three years was editor of the "North Arkansas Pilot," published
at Batesville. Upon the reopening of William and Mary college
in 1888 he was called to the chair of mathematics of his alma mater
He has been connected for many years with the summer sessions
of the Peabody normal institute in Virginia. Professor Stubbs is
president of the Phi Beta Kappa literary society, the oldest Greek
fraternity in the United States, organized at William and Mary in
1776, and is a master of arts, in course, of this college and a doctor
of philosophy, by brevet, of Arkansas college. In December, 1869,
he was married to Mary Mercer, daughter of Capt. Joseph B.
Cosnahan, of the Confederate States army, and they have four
children living.

James Littleton Suddarth, M. D., prominent in the medical pro-
fession of Washington, D. C, is a native of Virginia and a veteran
of the ever famous "Stonewall" brigade. He was born in Albe-
marle county, December 13, 1841, and being orphaned in infancy
by the death of his father, he was taken by his mother to Augusta
county and subsequently to Lexington, where he had the advan-
tages of study at Washington college. His education was inter-
rupted, however, by the crisis of 1861, and he left school as a
member of a college company called the "Liberty Hall Volunteers,"
in May, 1861, and was assigned to the Fourth Virginia infantry, in
which the college organization was known as Company I. This regi-


merit formed part of the brigade under command of Gen. T. J. Jack-
son, which at the first battle of Manassas earned the title of "Stone-
wall." Dr. Suddarth served as a private until Gen. Isaac R.
Trimble was assigned to command of the brigade, when he was
called to duty at headquarters as orderly to General Trimble.
After the battle of Fisher's Hill he was transferred to the Thirty-
fifth battalion of cavalry, of which he was a member until the
close of the war, being among those who cut their way out of the
Federal lines at Appomattox, and surrendered several weeks later
at Staunton. His record of participation in the important mili-
tary encounters of the war, embraces the battles of First Manassas,
Kernstown and Cross Keys in the Valley campaign. Gaines' Mill,
Malvern Hill, Cedar Mountain, Second Manassas, Chancellors-
ville, the Milroy fight at Winchester, Spottsylvania, Frederick City,
Md., the engagement before Washington, under General Early,
Early|s subsequent campaign in the valley, including the battles
of Winchester and Fisher's Hill, the capture of Harper's Ferry,
the capture of New Creek Station, and the battle of Five Forks.
During this service he lost two horses, shot under him, and was
wounded in the ankle, in a cavalry skirmish at Farmville Bridge,
just before Appomattox. On the day following the victory over
Milroy at Winchester, Va., he was captured, and subsequently con-
fined at Fort Delaware for three months. He was one of the for-
tunate included in the last exchange of prisoners from that post.
After his military service was ended he returned to his home at
Lexington, and to his studies, which he shaped toward preparation
for the medical profession. In October, 1865, he made his home
at Washington, and engaged in professional study. He was grad-
uated by the National medical college, now the medical department
of the Columbian university, in 1868, and he at that time embarked
in a professional career which has been notably successful. For
over a quarter century Dr. Suddarth has been prominent in the
medical profession of the national capital, and socially in high
esteem. He is a member of the American medical association,
the Medical association of the District of Columbia, and the Medi-
cal society of the District of Columbia; is a member of the staff
of Sibley Memorial hospital, and of the staff of the Eastern dis-
pensary, and in the Washington association of Confederate Veter-
ans holds the rank of surgeon.

Andrew Sullivan, of Alexandria, was born in that city February 6,
1837, and was reared and educated in his native place. On April
17, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Kemper's battery, and during

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 139 of 153)