Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 140 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 140 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the four years of war which followed served with that gallant com-
mand, participating in the campaign of Manassas, the Peninsular
campaign, the defense of Richmond, and the other important serv-
ice of the battery. He was with General Ewell at the time of his
surrender at Sailor's Creek on April 6, 1865, and after that unfor-
tunate occurrence was confined for two months at Point Lookout.
Finally released by special favor of President Johnson, he returned
to his home and resumed the occupations of civil life. He par-
ticipated in the battles of Vienna, and Manassas in 1861, and in
the Peninsular campaign was engaged at Williamsburg, Savage
Station, Seven Pines and Malvern Hill. Finally in 1865 he took
part in the famous battles of Five Forks and Sailor's Creek. In



1196 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

1874 he was married to Miss Rachel Liles, of Alexandria, and they
have six children.

William S. Summers, of Sterling, a patriotic Virginian who
served faithfully in the ranks of the Eighth infantry, under Col.
Eppa Hunton, was born in Fairfax county, October 29, 1837. While
a child he removed with his parents to Loudoun county, where he
was reared and educated. Early in the spring of 1861, with thor-
ough devotion to his State, he enlisted as a private in Company D
of the Eighth regiment of infantry, with which command he served
until the close of the war. He was introduced to the grim realities
of war on the battlefield of Manassas in July, 1861, and subsequent-
ly took part in the battles of Ball's Bluff, Williamsburg and Seven
Pines, and other important engagements. In the year 1863 he was
slightly wounded in the arm, and fell into the hands of the enemy,
after which he was taken to Fort McHenry and subsequently to
Fort Delaware, being confined in all about ten weeks. Then, being
exchanged he rejoined his command in the fall of 1863 and partic-
ipated in its subsequent engagements. After the surrender of the
army he returned to his home and gave his attention for a year or
so to agricultural pursuits, after which he found employment in the
sale of Pollard's "Lost Cause." Later he was appointed to the
offices of deputy sheriff and deputy treasurer, offices he has ever
since filled to the satisfaction of the people of his county. Both
as a soldier of the Confederacy and as an official of his county he
has displayed those qualities of fidelity and honor that most highly
adorn true manhood. Private Summers maintains his touch with
the surviving comrades of the army by membership in the Clinton
Hatcher camp of Confederate Veterans at Leesburg. On Febru-
ary 17, 1876, he was married to Miss Nannie L. Wood, of Lou-
doun county, and they have nine children.

Lieutenant Thomas W. Sydnor, of Richmond, Va., a veteran of
the gallant Hanover Troop of cavalry, was born in Hanover
county, March 11, 1837. He was reared, and continued to reside
there until called into the military service of the State as a member
of the Hanover Troop. This cavalry company was organized in
1858 by W. C. Wickham, of Hanover county, and was mustered
into the service with Wickham as captain, the rank he held until
promoted; colonel of the Fourth Virginia cavalry, of which the
troop constituted Company G. The regiment was in. the brigade
commanded by Gen. Fitzhugh Lee, and subsequently by Wick-
ham himself. Company G lost about one hundred and twenty men
in killed and wounded during the war. Private Sydnor was mus-
tered into the service with this historic command at Ashland, May
9, 1861, and he remained with the company until the close of the
war, participating in nearly all its engagements, among them the
battles of Manassas, Brandy Station, Kelly's Ford, Raccoon Ford,
Fredericksburg, Williamsburg, Cold Harbor, Malvern Hill, Front
Royal, Winchester, Trevilian's, Yellow Tavern, Hawe's Shop,
Wayston, Boonsboro, Gettysburg and Appomattox, besides a
great number of the minor actions which fkll to the lot of an ad-
venturous body of troopers. Through this service he was among
the bravest of the brave and held the rank of first lieutenant at the
close. He was severely wounded at Front Royal by a pistol shot,
at Williamsburg received a saber cut, and at Trevilian's was hit
by a carbine ball. After the war the survivors of the Hanover



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 119T

Troop formed an association, of which Lieutenant Sydnor has ever
since held the rank of captain. At their meeting in 1896, thirty-
one members answered the roll call, six of whom assisted in the
organization of the company in 1858. Lieutenant Sydnor is also
a member of R. E. Lee camp, Confederate Veterans, of Richmond,
where he has resided since 1877.

Catlett Conway Taliaferro, commander of William Watts camp
of United Confederate Veterans at Roanoke, Va., was born in Cul-
peper county in 1846. Though only a school boy in age at the
outbreak of the war of the Confederacy, he had the spirit of a
veteran, and left his studies at the Rappahannock academy in June,
1861, to become a trooper in the Ninth Virginia cavalry. After
about one month's service with this command he was detailed for
duty as a scout and courier, attached to the headquarters of Gen.
Stonewall Jackson. He remained with this famous leader un-
til his death, and soon after that event was detailed on similar duty
at the headquarters of Gen. R. E. Lee. He served with the
commander of the army of Northern Virginia until the end of the
war, at Appomattox having the mournful duty of carrying the flag
of truce. His military career was an active and honorable one.
With Jackson's command he participated in the battles of First
Manassas, Winchester, Port Republic, Cross Keys, the Seven Days
before Richmond, Slaughter Mountain, Second Manassas, Sharps-
burg, Harper's Ferry, Fredericksburg and ChancellorsviUe. As
guide, scout and courier for the commander-in-chief, he took part
in the battle of Gettysburg, the struggle at the Wilderness and
Spottsylvania Court House, the fighting about Richmond and the
engagements at Trevilian's and Sailor's Creek. He was wounded
at Cross Keys, at Seven Pines, at the bloody angle at Spottsyl-
vania, and hit by a spent ball at Sharpsburg. At Sailor's Creek
he was captured, but ,«iade his escape, and was paroled at Ap-
pomattox. Since the war' he has resided in Virginia, and for ten
years prior to his removal to Roanoke he served as mayor of the
town of Hampden-Sidney.

John Winn Talley, commander in 1897 of Blue Ridge camp,
United Confederate Veterans, at Buena Vista, Va., was born
in 1844 in Buckingham county, but was reared from infancy in
Cumberland county. In the spring of 1861 he was ambitious to
join the Confederate army, and his parents objecting on account
of his youth, he finally enlisted without their knowledge in the
Black Eagle company, an organization formed previous to the war,
and went with the company into camp at Richmond, where he was
subsequently found by his father and Governor Letcher, and re-
turned to his home. The young patriot pleaded so earnestly, how-
ever, to be permitted to join the army, that his father relented, and
gave him permission to be enrolled in the Cumberland Troop, a
famous organization of cavalry that had been noted for many years
before the war, and was mustered in as Company G of the Third
cavalry. He entered this command early in the summer of 1861,
and soon saw service on the peninsula, where he was detailed as
courier for General Cobb, of Georgia, for a short time. Subse-
quently, in the meantime having served with his company, he was
promoted ordnance sergeant under Maj. G. M. Ryals, of Savan-
nah, Ga., ordnance officer on the staff of Gen. Fitzhugh Lee. In
this capacity he served until Ryals was transferred to the staflf of



1198 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

Gen. J. E. B. Stuart, when he rejoined his company and remained
with it until the close of the war. His service was begun with
participation in the Peninsular battles of Dam Nos. i and 2. and
Williamsburg. On the picket line before the battle of Seven Pines
he was distinguished for gallantry, and he fought through the two
days of Seven Pines and the Seven Days' struggle which followed
to the discomfiture of McClellan's army. Afterward he was in
action at Shepherdstown, Brandy Station, Gettysburg, Chancellors-
ville, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, Trevilian's,
Yellow Tavern, Reams' Station. At the time of the surrender at
Appomattox he had charge of the picket line protecting the flank
of Gen. Lindsay Walker's brigade, guarding the retreat of the
artillery of the army. He surrendered at Columbia, Va., in June,
1865. After this he engaged in farming for a few years, in Hano-
ver and then in Cumberland county, then conducted a store in
Henrico county three years. Subsequently he established a mail
service on the James river and Kanawha canal, and commanded the
packet boat Nellie between Columbia and Richmond. After four
years of this occupation the building of a railroad superseded
his mail line, and he became a baggage master and later a conduc-
tor on the Richmond & Allegheny railroad. In 1886 he entered the
hotel business, first in the Irvine hotel at Lexington and then as
manager of the Natural Bridge hotel. In i88g he made his home
at Buena Vista, where he has since had charge alternately of the
Colonnade and Buena Vista hotels. He is also prominently inter-
ested in the business and the development of the town, has served
two terms as president of the city council, and is a director in the
bank and in land companies.

William Henry Tallman, of Newport News, Va., served with
distinction during the Confederate war in intimate relations with
Generals Magruder, Johnston and Lee, and as a scout passed
through an adventurous and interesting career. He was born in
Charles City county December 11, 1842, the son of William H.
and Elizabeth (Roane) Tallman, both of English descent, and was
reared upon the farm of his parents. His education was obtained
at the Lynchburg military academy and at Randolph-Macon col-
lege, which latter institution he left in the spring of 1861 to enter
the military service of the State and the Confederacy. He was
offered the rank of lieutenant in an infantry company formed in
his native county, but declined this, preferring to follow the famous
admonition of Gen. "Jeb" Stuart, to "jine'the cavalry!" For about
eight months he served with a cavalry company in the rank of
corporal, until General Magruder, then in command on the penin-
sula of Virginia, detailed him for duty in command of his body-
guard and couriers. The energy and dashing qualities which had
secured him this mark of distinction made him highly satisfactory
in this position, and led to his being retained in the same duty
under Gen. J. E. Johnston, who soon succeeded to the command
of the forces gathered to resist the advance of McClellan. He
continued in command of Johnston's bodyguard until the general
was wounded at Seven Pines, and gave place to Gen. R. E. Lee,
with whom Tallman performed the same duties through the Seven
Days' battles. Having been in active service through all the bat-
tles on the peninsula, and worn by the peril and excitement of
this arduous campaign, he fell sick at this time, and was obliged to



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1199

give up his position. Upon regaining his health he re-entered the
service and was attached to the cavalry command of Gen. M. W.
Gary. Being assigned to the command of a scouting party, he con-
tinued in_ that capacity until the end of the war, frequently being
engaged in expeditions up and down the James river, and encoun-
tering many interesting and thrilling adventures. Occasionally he
was able to visit his old home in Charles City county, availing
himself of the opportunity to enjoy its hospitality and rest and
refresh himself and his men. On one of these occasions he
found that as an aged negro woman expressed it, "De blasted
yankees had been dere, stealing de turkeys." He considered those
fowls as legitimate resources of the Confederacy, and made an
ambush for the marauding Federals, which resulted in a desperate
fight, in which he killed one of the enemy's party and put two
bullets in the neck of another and was himself seriously wounded
in the face and neck. At the close of the war he surrendered with
Johnston's army at Greensboro, N. C, and then returned to his
home, where he was engaged in farming for a few years. About
the year 1873 he removed to Richmond, and for three years served
upon the police force, where his personal courage and manly
activity made him a valued officer. Removing to Newport News
in 1883, he for several years held the position of chief of the police
of that city. Since 1894 he has filled with general satisfaction the
office of inspector and boarding officer at the port of Newport
News. He is a good citizen, is popular socially, and is a member
of the Royal Arcanum, the United Workmen, and a highly es-
teemed comrade of Magruder camp, United Confederate Veterans.
J. D. Tanner, of Lynchburg, identified during the Confederate
war with the gallant record of the Twenty-eighth regiment
Virginia infantry, is a native of Bedford county, born December
12, 1841. He entered the service in April, 1861, as a private in
Company F of the Twenty-eighth regiment, and served in the first
battle of Manassas in the brigade of Col. P. St. George Cocke.
Subsequently the brigade was commanded by Generals Pickett
and Richard B. Garnett, in Longstreet's corps, and he shared its
fighting on many of the famous battlefields of the army of North-
ern Virginia. In the Peninsular campaign of 1862 he was shot
through the body at the battle of Gaines' Mill, and received a
second wound in the left leg while being carried from the field.
These injuries disabled him for several months, and he was next
in battle at Fredericksburg, ard subsequently with Longstreet
in North Carolina, fighting at Plymouth, Little Washington and
New Bern. With Pickett's division in the third day's fight at
Gettysburg, he received a wound in the left shoulder in the assault
upon Cemetery ridge. He took part in the battle of the Wilder-
ness, and was stationed on the Howlett line for several months,
participated as acting sergeant in the charge on the enemy's
works, about January i, 1864. In the spring of i86s be fought at
Five Forks and Sailor's Creek, and was among the captured at the
latter disaster. Subsequently he was held as a prisoner of war
at Point Lookout for some time. Finally returning to his home he
soon afterward went to Lynchburg, with a capital of fifty cents,
and at first finding various employment, the energy and devotion
which had characterized his military career were, in a few years,
instrumental in enabling him to establish himself in business, in



1200 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

which he has since continued with much success. He has served
in the city council and is a member of the Masonic order. In the
fall of i86s he was married in Bedford county, to Booker E. Boley,
and they have one son, Oscar P.

William H. Tatum, a well-known merchant of Richmond, and a
valued member of R. E. Lee camp, Confederate Veterans, and of
the Howitzer association, of which he holds the ofHce of treasurer,
had a long and gallant career with the army of Northern Virginia.
He was born in Henrico county in 1838, and since the age of
fourteen has had his home at Richmond. He entered the Con-
federate service as a private in the Richmond Howitzers in April,
1861, and remained in the service until the surrender. The list
of engagements in which he participated reveals the arduous and
devoted character of his service. Among the actions in which he
did honorable duty are Bull Run, First Manassas, Dam No. i,
Williamsburg, Seven Pines, the Seven Days' battles, Fredericks-
burg, Chancellorsville, Salem Church, United States Ford, the
second and third days at Gettysburg, the Wilderness and Spottsyl-
vania Court House, Second Cold Harbor. After this he fought
on the lines between the Howlett House and Petersburg and on
the retreat to Appomattox.

Major Erasmus Taylor, of Orange county, was among those who
joined the army at Manassas in July, 1861. He served through
the campaign of that year on the staff of Brig.-Gen. D. R. Jones,
and continued in that duty until the death of General Jones in the
fall of 1862. After that it appears that he was unassigned until
September, 1863, when he was commissioned major, and ordered
to report to Gen. James Longstreet, commanding First corps,
army of Northern Virginia, at that time detached and operating
in east Tennessee against Knoxville. As chief quartermaster _ of
the First corps he was with this command without interruption
until the surrender at Appomattox Court House, in which he was
included. Major Taylor is descended from James Taylor, of Car-
lisle, England, who emigrated to Virginia in 1658, settling in what
is now Caroline county, on the Mataponi river, near the Baylor
estate called New Market. There he died in 1698, leaving a large
family. His eldest son, by his first wife, Col. James Taylor, born
1674, succeeded him as owner of this estate and acquired large
possessions in other counties. In what is now Orange county he
located in 1720 two tracts, one of five thousand, and another of
ten thousand acres, fronting on the Rapidan river. Here he built
the first house in that section, which is now standing in a perfect
state of preservation, and made his home, which was graced by
his wife, Martha, daughter of Sir William Thompson, a British
officer who came over to aid in suppressing Bacon's rebellion,
and settled in Virginia. These parents had a large family from
whom were descended two presidents of the United States. Their
eldest daughter, Frances, who married Ambrose Madison, was
the grandmother of Tames Madison. They also had four sons:
James (3d), George, 'Zachary and Erasmus. James (3d) was a
member of the house of burgesses and died in 1784. From him
were descended Colonel James (4th), of Midway, Caroline county,
who was a gallant officer under Washington in the French and
Indian war, also prominent in his civil career; and General James
(Sth), of Newport, Ky., distinguished for his services in the war



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1201

of 1812, and well known as a man of large wealth. George, who
died in 1794, was a man of great prominence; member of the
house of burgesses, of the committee of safety of Orange county
in 1774, and of the State convention; was commissioned colonel
in 177s; had eight sons in the Revolutionary army, and by his
marriage to Rachel Gibson, had numerous descendants who filled
many important positions. Zachary, who died in 1768, married
Elizabeth Lee; lived in Orange county near his brothers, on the
farm now occupied by Maj. Erasmus Taylor; and had several
children, among them Col. Richard Taylor, of Kentucky, who
was father of President Zachary Taylor, and of Gen. Joseph P.
Taylor, at one time commissary-general of the United States army.
Erasmus, born 171S, died 1794, lived near Orange Court House,
owning part of the present site of the town, and married Jane
Moore, a half-sister of President Madison's mother. One of their
numerous children, Capt. John Taylor, was an officer in the Rev-
olutionary army. Another, and the youngest son, was Robert
Taylor, of Orange, born 1763, who married Frances, daughter of
Col. Edmund Pendleton, Jr., of Caroline county; was present at
the surrender of Lord Cornwallis as a volunteer with the Cul-
peper Minute Men; was member of the Virginia senate in 1804-05-06,
and member of Congress in 1825 and 1827. Among his children was
the well-known Jaquelin P. Taylor, of Richmond. Another son.
Dr. Edmund Pendleton Taylor, married his cousin, Mildred Turner,
and was the father of Maj. Erasmus Taylor. The latter is also de-
scended from James Taylor, the founder, through his daughter
Mary, by a second wife, Mary Gregory. This daughter, born 1688,
married Henry Pendleton, and among their children was the cele-
brated chancellor, Edmund Pendleton, first president of the court
of appeals of Virginia. Another was John Pendleton, whose
son. Col. Edmund Pendleton, married Mildred Pollard, and
had among their children, a daughter Frances, whose marriage to
Robert Taylor is above noted. Maj. Erasmus Taylor was born in
Orange county in 1830, completed his education at the university
of Virginia in 1849, and married Roberta Ashby, of Fauquier
county, in 1851. She was a descendant of that Captain Ashby,
afterward colonel, who was the bearer of dispatches from Colonel
Washington to the authorities at Williamsburg announcing the
defeat of Braddock. Gen. Turner Ashby, of Confederate renown,
was her first cousin. Eleven children were born to Major Taylor
and his wife, of whom eight are still living, five daughters and
three sons. Of the latter, Edmund Pendleton Taylor is a civil
engineer, and married Virginia Gildersleeve, of Abingdon. An-
other, John Ashby Taylor, married Isabel King, of Augusta, Ga.,
and holds a responsible position in the general offices of the
Central railroad of New Jersey. Jaquelin P. Taylor, the young-
est, residing at Henderson, N. C, is a successful business man,
and the largest exporter of tobacco in that State. He married
Katherine, eldest daughter of W. E. and Mary Wall, of Mont-
gomery county, Md.

James Taylor, for more than a decade past connected with the
treasury department of the United States government, and residing
at Washington, had a career in the army of Northern Virginia
distinguished for long and faithful service embracing participation



1202 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

in nearly all the great battles of that army. He was born in Car-
oline county, Va., in the year 1841, and was reared and given his
preparatory education in his native county. When the Virginia
convention met to decide the fate of the State, he was a student
at the university of Virginia, whence he went, with the cadets, on
the day of the adoption of the ordinance of secession, to occupy
Harper's Ferry. In the following month he enlisted in the serv-
ice of the State as a private in the Fredericksburg artillery, an
organization with which he was identified during the remainder
of the war. After the surrender at Appomattox he returned to his
home in Caroline county and found occupation for several years
in farming. Then undertaking the profession of teaching, he was
engaged in that work at Fredericksburg until about the year
1886, when he removed to Washington to accept a position in the
treasury department. Among the engagements in which he took
part during the war were an early encounter with a Federal gun-
boat on the Potomac river, Mechanicsville and Chickahominy and
other battles of t.he Seven Days' campaign before Richmond,
Chantilly, Cedar Mountain, Second Manassas, Snicker's (Jap,
Groveton, Waterloo Bridge, Hagerstown, Md., Sharpsburg, Md.,
Bolivar and Maryland Heights, Fredericksburg, Spottsylvania
(April, 1863), Chancellorsville, Mine Run, Bristoe Station, the
battles of the Wilderness, Beaver Dam, North Anna River, or
Jericho Ford, Second Cold Harbor, the defense of Richmond, the
defense of Petersburg, the defense of the Weldon railroad. Six
Mile Station, Blackburn's Ford, Williamsburg, FarmviUe, High
Bridge and Appomattox. During all this service he was never
wounded, though hit several times by spent balls. Mr. Taylor is
a valued member of the Washington association of Confederate
Veterans.

Colonel Walter H. Taylor, a native of Norfolk, was the youth-
ful officer who was assigned, then not twenty-three years of
age, to Gen. Robert E. Lee at Richmond soon after the secession
of Virginia, and who became a confidential staff officer of that
illustrious man during the entire period of the war for Southern
independence. He deserves, on his personal merit, as well as for
his intimate association with his great chief, the distinction which
history awards him. He had been educated at the Virginia mili-
tary institute, and enlisted in the Confederate service when the
orders of Governor Letcher, early in May, 1861, brought him to
Richmond to be immediately assigned to duty with Lee who had
chief command of the military forces of his State, and was en-
gaged in the rapid and thorough organization of all the resources
which Virginia was offering for the defense of the South. In an
unpretentious office, furnished with a desk, a table and a few
chairs, the work of preparation for war went on under the direc-
tion of the experienced head aided by a limited staff of carefully
selected men, among whom was this competent young officer, who



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 140 of 153)