Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 141 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 141 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

was destined to close comradeship with his leader in honorable
and perilous service, ending in the final scenes at Appomattox. As
the result of these office labors the organized army of Virginia
was turned over to the Confederacy. General Lee was appointed
one of the generals authorized by Congress and on account of the
special need of his counsel, was ordered to remain at Richmond
as the "military adviser of the president." The reverses in western


Virginia, however, made it necessary for Mr. Davis to send Lee
to that section, and taking with him as his aides, Col. John A.
Washington and Captain Taylor, he sought to recover the ad-
vantages already lost to the Confederacy. Immediately on arriv-
ing in western Virginia, Lee, with Washington and Taylor, trav-
ersed that rough region, unsparing of themselves, rode daily
through the wild woods and ascended the mountains, climbing
to the highest peaks in order to get views of the Federal positions.
In one of these reconnoissances to gain greatly needed knowledge.
Colonel Washington lost his life. After this arduous personal
scouting a battle was planned which would have resulted in a de-
cided victory, but failure occurred from unfortunate miscarriage
of orders. Taylor returned with Lee to Richmond and accom-
panied him to the south Atlantic coast in November, 1861. The
staff of Lee at this time contained Captain Taylor, Capt. Thorn-
ton Washington, Captain Manigault, Capt. Ives Walker, and
Major Long, chief of artillery. Having been recalled from the
command of this department in March, 1862, Lee entered on his
duties as the president's military adviser, his aides being Taylor,
Talcott, Venable and Charles Marshall, each of whom was com-
missioned major. At this period McClellan's army was closing
around Richmond, and the demands were incessant upon the
staff of Lee, at the head of which was Taylor, whom Colonel Long
calls "Lee's trusted adjutant." The severe wounding of Gen.
Joseph E. Johnston devolved upon Lee the command in the field
of the Confederate forces, and there followed that splendid fight-
ing and remarkable generalship which drove McClellan from the
coveted capital of the Confederacy. From this date through all
the triumphs and defeats of the army of Northern Virginia, the
courageous and "trusted adjutant" shared with his comrades the
rigors of all campaigns, the glories of every victory and the sor-
rows of each defeat. His war history cannot be followed without
recounting the story of the army of Northern Virginia. His
official record appears as follows: Captain C. S. A., aide-de-
camp, November 8, 1861-March 27, 1862; major and aide-de-camp,
August, 1862; lieutenant-colonel and assistant adjutant-general, No-
vember 4, 1864. Colonel Taylor's life since the war has enhanced
the esteem which he gained as a soldier. To him our history is
indebted for his supervision of the reports of the campaigns of the
army of Northern Virginia. He has often contributed, by ad-
dresses and articles to the press, to valuable Confederate literature,
but the work for which the South is most greatly indebted to
him is the small compact volume called, "Four Years with Gen-
eral Lee," which is rich in description of campaigns and incidents
in the life of his commander.

Charles Lewis Teaney, of Pulaski City, shared throughout the
Confederate war the faithful service of the Fourth Virginia regi-
ment of infantry, and the Stonewall brigade, of which it was a
part. He was born in Pulaski county January 19, 1843, and when
a little past eighteen years of age, early in July, 1861, enlisted as a
private m the Pulaski Guards, which was then a part of the Fourth
regiment, under Johnston's command in the lower Shenandoah
valley. Private Teaney marched thence to the field of Manassas
with that gallant little army of the Shenandoah, which had for its


leaders Jackson, Bartow, Bee and Elzey, under the general com-
mand of J. E. Johnston. In the battle of First Manassas the
Fourth was commanded by Col. James F. Preston. The part that
the regiment took in this famous victory is well indicated in the
official report of Gen. Thomas J. Jackson: "At 3:30 p. m. the
advance of the enemy having reached a position which called
for the use of the bayonet, I gave the command for the charge of
the more than brave Fourth and Twenty-seventh, and under com-
manders worthy of such regiments, they, in the order in which
they were posted, rushed forward obliquely to the left of our bat-
teries, and through the blessing of God, who gave us the victory,
pierced the enemy's center, and by co-operating with the victorious
Fifth and other forces, soon placed the field essentially in our
possession." In this fight Private Teaney received severe wounds
which caused his honorable discharge. Six months later, having re-
covered, he re-enlisted in the same company, and continued in the
service throughout the war, serving as a sharpshooter the last
two years, participating in Jackson's Valley campaign in 1862, the
campaign of Jackson's corps before Richmond, at Second Ma-
nassas and in Maryland, the same year, and after the death of his
general, took part in the Gettysburg campaign and fought with
Gordon in the valley in 1864. He was slightly wounded at Get-
tysburg, and at Fredericksburg was hurt by a falling limb of a
tree. He was with Gordon's corps at the last, and was surrendered
and paroled at Appomattox.

Lieutenant William Richards Teller, since i8g6 the manager of
the Metropolitan hotel at Washington, D. C., is a native of Vir-
ginia, and a veteran of the army of Lee. He was born at Rich-
mond in the year 1842, and was reared and educated at that city.
In his nineteenth year he entered the military service of the State,
enlisting as a private in the Richmond Grays on April 19, 1861.
This organization was made a part of the Twelfth regiment of
Virginia infantry, with which he served until August 19th, mean-
while being promoted corporal. At the latter date he received
an honorable discharge, and immediately re-enlisted in the Third
regiment, with the rank of orderly-sergeant of Company F. He
continued with this command until the close of the war, receiving
promotion to second lieutenant for gallant and meritorious con-
duct. He surrendered at Richmond and was paroled there. Among
the battles in which he participated were Seven Pines, Malvern
Hill, the encounters with the Dahlgren raiders, Drewry's Blufif,
and the defense of Fort Harrison, on the lines before Richmond.
After the conclusion of the war Lieutenant Teller made his home
at Richmond until 1872, when he engaged in the coal business at
South Fork, Pa., going from there in 1877 to Johnstown, Pa.,
where he conducted a hotel. A year later he engaged in a sim-
ilar enterprise at Bellefonte, Pa., and continued in charge of a
hotel there until 1889. Subsequently for a period of three years
he resided at Philadelphia, and held the position of secretary of
the Bloomington mining company. In 1893 he took charge of the
Bluefield inn, in West Virginia, and three years later resigned that
position, July IS, 1896, to take the position of manager of the
Metropolitan hotel at the national capital. He is a member of the
Confederate Veterans association of that city.

Benjamin B. Temple, M. D., of Danville, Va., is one of the sur-


vivors of seven brothers who served in the army of Northern Vir-
ginia. Their father was Benjamin Temple, an owner of large
estates, born 1800, died 1872, who was the son of Robert Temple,
a planter, residing at Ampthill, Chesterfield county, whose father
was Benjamin Temple, of Presque Isle, near Yorktown, who held
the rank of colonel in the war of the Revolution, and was a charter
member of the order of the Cincinnati. The mother was Lucy
Lilly Robinson, born 1805, died 1883. Their seven sons in the
service were Robert H., who was in the mining bureau with the
rank of major; Charles W., who served in the .Ninth Virginia
cavalry until wounded and disabled and then was attached to the
ordnance bureau; Benjamin B., John T., lieutenant in the Thirtieth
Virginia infantry; William S., of Pegram's battery and later of
the Ninth Virginia cavalry, who was several times wounded; Ber-
nard M., of Pegram's battery until wounded at Second Manassas,
and subsequently in the ordnance department; and Ludwell R., of
the Ninth Virginia cavalry. The latter and John T. died soon
after the war as a result of disability incurred in the service.
Benjamin B. Temple was reared at Fredericksburg, and educated
at the university of Virginia, graduating in medicine there in 1859,
and in i860 at the Virginia medical college at Richmond. Subse-
quently he pursued clinical studies at Paris one year, and return-
ing in June, 1861, enlisted in the Second Richmond Howitzers,
with which he served nearly two years as number one at a ten-
pound Parrott gun. In April, 1863, he was transferred to the
Ninth Virginia cavalry, with which he served as a private to the
end. He participated in the battles of Bethel, the Seven Days'
campaign. Second Manassas, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Chan-
cellorsville, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court
House, Brandy Station, Yellow Tavern, White Tavern, all the
fights before Petersburg, Five Forks and Sailor's Creek. During
much of the time also he was on detached duty as a scout with
Stringfellow, and was frequently called upon to employ his sur-
gical education. He was several times slightly wounded. At Ap-
pomattox, with other cavalrymen, including R. E. Lee, Jr., he es-
caped through the Federal lines and started toward Johnston's
forces, but on learning that General Lee had surrendered the
whole army, turned back and went home. Returning to Fred-
ericksburg he engaged in the work of his profession, and re-
moved in 1874 to Danville, where he enjoys a large practice.
He holds the rank of surgeon in Cabell-Graves camp. September
S, 1866, he was married to Miss Mary E. Glidden, of New Or-
leans, and they have one son, George Glidden Temple, in business
at Danville.

Robert Stockton Terry, an influential citizen of Lynchburg,
who participated during the latter part of the war of the Con-
federacy in the services of the daring troopers under the com-
mand of Colonel Mosby, was born at Danville in 1847. With
his family he was brought to Lynchburg in infancy, and was there
reared and educated until he was about seventeen years of age,
when, in June, 1864, he entered the service in Mosby's command,
with which he was identified during the remainder of the war.
He served as color-bearer of this cavalry troop, and took part in
all their raids after his enlistment, and in the battle of Charles-
Va 76


town, W. Va., with Early's army. In July, i86s, he was paroled
by General Gregg, at Lynchburg, and he soon afterward engaged
in civil engineering for a year in Pennsylvania. He was subse-
quently in the siervice of the Adams express company and the
Southern express company, at Lynchburg, for several years, and
after that was connected prominently with the hotel business at
Lynchburg, also owning an interest in the Kimball house, at At-
lanta, Ga. His military service, though brief, was exceedingly
active and hazardous. Of its adventurous character the name of
his famous leader is a sufficient guarantee. It was not their part
to participate in great battles, but they rendered equally valuable
service in keeping the Confederate leaders informed of the move-
ments of the enemy, at the same time by sudden sallies and daring
attacks, managing to embarrass the opposing forces and keep large
bodies of troops in a vain pursuit of Mosby. Mr. Terry is de-
scended from an old and honorable Virginia family. His great-
grandfather, Daniel Terry, a native of the Old Commonwealth,
served as an officer in the Revolutionary army.

Henry G. Thomas, prominent among the sea-faring people of
. Portsmouth during the war period, was the son of John G.
Thomas, a Welshman by birth, who was a sea captain in the mer-
chant marine, and -made his home at Portsmouth about 1832.
Henry G. Thomas was born at Portsmouth, served for forty years
in the United States navy, prior to 1861, and then resigned and
joined the Confederate navy, in which he served throughout the
war and gained the rank of captain. After the struggle was con-
cluded he engaged in business at Norfolk as a grocer, prospered
in trade, held a worthy position in social life, and honored his
military service by maintaining a membership in the Pickett-
Buchanan camp of the Confederate Veterans. His death occurred
at Norfolk, January 4, 1881. Edward T. Thomas, son of the fore-
going, was bom at Portsmouth, October 31, 1854. His mother
was the daughter of Edward Trugin, of Portsmouth, and died the
year following his birth. He received his education mainly in
the Norfolk military academy under Professor Gatewood, and
quit school at the age of sixteen years, engaging in business with
his father. In 1878 he emliarked in the same business on his own
account, at Norfolk, and beginning with a small capital, has by
the exercise of excellent business talent, built up an extensive
business, achieved notable success financially, and gained consid-
erable real estate holdings. He is fraternally connected with the
Masonic order, is a Knight Templar, has been secretary of the
Knights of Honor for eighteen years, and treasurer of his Odd
Fellows lodge for five years. Mr. Thomas was married October
14, 1878, to Margaret S., daughter of Henry Dalby, of Norfolk,
and they have one child, Edward Keeling.

Lieutenant J. W. Thomas, Jr., a well-known chemist and phar-
macist of Norfolk, Va., and commander of Pickett-Buchanan
camp of that city, was born at Richmond, Va., October 10, 1836.
He is the son of William Thomas, a naval contractor, who ren-
dered valuable service to the Confederacy in the construction of
ironclad vessels, until he was taken prisoner at Deep Bottom, by
the Federals, and held until the close of the war. Lieutenant
Thomas received a thorough academic, scientific and professional
education, graduating at the university of Pennsylvania in 1858


with the degree of doctor of medicine, after which he became a
practicing pharmacist at Richmond. There he became a member
of the Richmond Howitzers, and in 1859 was with the troops sent
to preserve order in the Harper's Ferry region at the time of
John Brown's attempt at insurrection. He was a witness of the
execution of Brown. In April, 1861, he went into active service
with the Howitzers, and being ordered to the peninsula was in
the opening fight at Big Bethel. In July he took part in the
affair at Blackburn's Ford and the battle of Manassas, and then
returned to the peninsula, where he participated in the campaign
against McClellan, including Malvern Hill. He was again in
action at Second Manassas and Fredericksburg, and in March,

1863, was ordered to Richmond on recruiting service. Soon after-
ward he was commissioned lieutenant, artillery corps, C. S. A.,
and assigned to ordnance duty with the army of Northern Vir-
ginia, in which he continued until the close of the war, surren-
dering with General Lee at Appomattox. With the return of peace
he embarked in the drug trade at Richmond, and thence removed
to Norfolk in 1868, where for thirty years he has been doing a suc-
cessful business. He has also been prominent throughout this
period as an analytical chemist and a teacher of pharmacy. His
ability is widely recognized, particularly in his own profession,
and he has had the honor of serving as president of the Vir-
ginia pharmaceutical association.

Lewis D. Thomas, now a citizen of Baltimore, Md., was among
the youth of the Old Dominion who rallied to the service of their
native State early in the conflict, devoted to the cause and eager
for the fray, though not yet of years to entitle them to citizenship
in civil life. His father, Robert S. Thomas, who was born at Nor-
folk, Va., in 1818, and removed to Richmond in i860, served as
a private in the Richmond Reserves, who guarded the government
property and upon occasions were called upon for serious action in
the defenses of the city when it was threatened, in the absence of
the main army. He participated in the defense of Fort Gilmer.
The father of this patriot, also a Virginian, and a native of
Matthews county, was a private soldier in the company of Captain
Corbin in the war of 1812, and died in 1833 at the age of about
seventy years. Thus the ancestral examples, as well as his own
personal impulses, urged young Thomas to early participation in
the cause of Virginia when threatened with invasion. Born at
Norfolk in 1845, and educated at the Norfolk military academy, he
was living with his parents at Richmond when the war broke out.
At the age of sixteen he joined the Jefferson Davis Guards, an
organization of devoted young men formed as a bodyguard for
the president. This company was assigned to the Twenty-fifth
Virginia battalion, and he served with this command until the
close of the war. During the defense of Richmond in the fall of

1864, he was in the garrison which bravely defended Fort Harri-
son, north of the James river, against two corps of the enemy,
until forced to abandon the works. Immediately afterward he
participated in the defense of Fort Gilmer, before which the ex-
ultant Federal army was driven back with great loss, practically
terminating the advance of Butler's army against Richmond. At
Fort Davis Mr. Thomas also served gallantly. In a fight at Aiken's
landing, on the James river, he received a wound in the head.


He continued to serve in the trenches about Richmond until the
city was evacuated, when he marched out with his comrades in
the effort to unite with the other Confederate forces. He was
engaged in the battle of Sailor's Creek, and at Appomattox when
the escape of the army seemed impossible, he slipped through the
Federal hnes, intending to reach the Trans-Mississippi department,
and made his way as far as Louisiana. But it becoming apparent
that the war was over, he obtained a parole at Alexandria in that
State, and returned to Lynchburg, Va., and thence went to Rich-
mond to resume the duties of civil life. He entered upon business
life as a clerk in a store, and in 1867 he removed to Baltimore,
his father accornpanying him, and entered the employment of the
Pennsylvania railroad company. After an engagement for several
years in this connection, he became manager of the Southern
branch_ of the Laflin-Rand powder company, stationed at Balti-
more, in which capacity he is now acting.

Captain George G. Thompson, of Culpeper, was born in Louisa
county, March 15, 1824. He was educated at William and
Mary college, and pursued a course of study in law, a profession
to which he gave his attention for a year or two at Richmond.
Theri making his home in Culpeper county, he was engaged in
farming at the time of the crisis in Virginia affairs in the spring
of 1861. He enlisted with a volunteer company, and going to
Harper's Ferry, was assigned to the Thirteenth Virginia infantry,
his command becoming Company E. Being over thirty-seven years
of age he was soon promoted captain, and assistant quartermaster,
and assigned to the brigade of Gen. T. J. Jackson, with which he
served until after the first battle of Manassas. He was then trans-
ferred to the valley of Virginia, under the orders of Gen. Joseph
E. Johnston. In the summer of 1862 he was ordered to report to
Colonel Carey, chief quartermaster on the staff of Gen. Robert
E. Lee, and in this capacity he continued on duty throughout the
remainder of the war, his main duty being the charge of the field
depots. He rendered efficient and faithful service to the heroic
army which contended for the cause of Southern independence
upon Virginia soil. Returning to Culpeper after the surrender, he
held the office of county sheriff two years, and since retiring from
that office has served for thirty years as local agent of the Orange
& Alexandria railroad, now part of the Southern system. In 1850
he was married to Miss Barbour, of Culpeper, sister of Senator
Barbour. They have living four daughters and three sons. Of
the latter one is assistant superintendent of the Southern rail-
road, in charge of several divisions; another is a lawyer at Wash-
ington, D. C, and the third is soliciting agent of the Southern
railroad at Lynchburg. The second daughter is the wife of Rev.
J. G. Minnigerode, rector of Calvary church, Louisville, Ky.

Captain John H. Thompson, of Portsmouth, distinguished as
an artillery officer among the gallant soldiers of _ southeastern
Virginia, is a native of the city where he now resides, born in
1823. At the passage of the ordinance of secession by the Vir-
ginia convention he was employed in the Gosoort navy yard,
where his last duty was in preparing the Merrimac to be taken
North. He was at the same time first lieutenant of the^ Portsmouth
light artillery, an organization dating back to a period previous
to the war of 1812, and honored by the memories of the valiant


service of its members of that era in the battle of Craney Island in
1814. Lieutenant Thompson went into service by order of Gov-
ernor Letcher, April 20, 1861, and was on duty that night when
the navy yard was fired. He served at the Naval hospital grounds
and then at Hofiler's creek, until early in 1862, when his battery
was ordered to South Mills to repel the Federal advance from
Roanoke island. On the Pasquotank river, May 2d, in command
of one division of the battery, he had a spirited engagement with
two Federal gunboats which were damaged considerably and com-
pelled to drop down the river. In the latter part of the same
month the battery reached Richmond and became part of the
army of Northern Virginia, attached to the division of General
Anderson. They were in action at the beginning of the Seven
Days' battles, and at Malvern Hill behaved with distinguished gal-
lantry, maintaining a fire against nearly one hundred Federal
guns, for two hours. Lieutenant Thompson was one of the last
to leave the position, and was specially commended for bravery
in the report of Captain Grimes. He was subsequently in the
fight at Warrenton Springs, and at Second Manassas participated
in the advance of Mahone's brigade against the left wing of Pope's
army. He took part in the fight against McClellan's army at
Crampton's Gap, and then moving rapidly by way of Harper's
Ferry to the battlefield of Sharpsburg, commanded the battery in
the bloody engagement of September 17th, in which Captain
Grimes was killed. Lieutenant Thompson then continued in com-
mand of the battery until at Winchester, in the fall of 1862, upon
the reorganization of the artillery, the Portsmouth company was
divided, part being assigned to Huger's battery and part to Moor-
man's. Captain Thompson was then ordered to Richmond and
assigned to duty for a short time at the camp of paroled prisoners,
after which he was detailed to take charge of the exchange of
prisoners at City point. Just before the landing of Butler's forces
at that point, he was detached and ordered to Richmond, and was
promoted to the rank of captain and assistant adjutant-general. He
was assigned to duty as assistant provost marshal under Maj.
Isaac Carrington, in the department of General Winder, and he
continued in these duties until the close of the war, making his
headquarters at Richmond, and serving at various points in Mis-
sissippi and Georgia, and other Southern States. Being in Dan-
ville at the time of the surrender at Appomattox, he went into
North Carolina and attempted to join the army under Johnston,
but was captured by a Federal party on crossing the Catawba
river. Giving his parole he was permitted to proceed and he
made his way to Augusta before returning to Virginia. Since the
war he has been engaged in shipbuilding work, and for some time
he has been in charge of the rigger department of the navy yard
at Portsmouth. He has served upon the city council, and as
health inspector of the city, and is a valued member of Stonewall
camp, Confederate Veterans.

Lieutenant Joseph L. Thompson, lieutenant of artillery in the
army of Northern Virginia, was born in Fluvanna, Va., in 1840.
In i8S4 he made his home at Lynchburg and there enlisted on
April 21, 1861, as a private in Latham's battery, afterward known

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 141 of 153)