Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 146 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 146 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


young men; Edgar, Jr., being engaged in the drug business, and
George E. as bookkeeper in the First national bank of Alexan-
dria. Mr. Warfield is an officer of Robert E. Lee camp. No. 2,
and is a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, his father
also having fought in the Seventeenth. He is prominent in the
Masonic fraternity, being a past master of Andrew Jackson lodge.
No. 120; past commander of Old Dominion commandery, K. T.,
No. II, and past district deputy grand master of district No. i.
Mr. Warfield has never sought political honors, but his worth and
efficiency have been recognized and he is now a member of the
Virginia State board of pharmacy. The estimate of his character
may be summarized by saying that he is an excellent type of South-
ern manhood, the class of men who left their homes and loved ones
in the days that "tried men's souls," and went to the field of bat-
tle in defense of home and a righteous principle — in short, a type
of the best blood of the South.

Major James H. Warner, whose devoted service in the cause
of the Confederate States is deserving here of special notice, was
born in the year 1827. Soon after his birth his parents moved to
Ohio, whence he returned to his native State, and from there en-
tered the United States navy. He served with the rank of chief
engineer for several years previous to the war, at the time of the
outbreak of which he was attached to the U. S. steamer Rich-
mond, in the Mediterranean, as chief engineer. He was loyal to
his State, and resigned his commission. Reporting at Richmond
for duty he was appointed a chief engineer in the Confederate
States navy, and first assigned to duty at the Pensacola navy yard.
A few months later his remarkable executive ability was recog-
nized by appointment to take charge of the naval iron works at
Columbus, Ga., the largest shipbuilding plant operated by the
government. Here he remained until the invasion by Sherman's
army, when all the employes of the works were formed in a bat-
talion under his command, with the rank of major._ In this capacity
Major Warner served until the close of hostilities. On account



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1239

of his activity in defense of the Confederate interests at Columbus,
he incurred the bitter hatred of the stragglers from Sherman's
army, who vented their spite in repeated attempts to destroy his
home at Columbus, going so far as to put kegs of powder in his
cellar for that purpose. Very soon after the cessation of hostilities
Major Warner, who was a civil engineer of great ability, was en-
gaged by the United States government to superintend the re-
moval of obstructions in the Mississippi river at New Orleans.
The contract for this important work had been made, and his
preparations for removal to New Orleans had been entered upon,
when he met his death in the following manner: Some of the
troops forming the Federal garrison at Columbus insulted women
upon the streets of the city, which was promptly resented by some
of the citizens, resulting in the death of several of the offenders.
The killing of the soldiers by the outraged citizens precipitated a
riot, and after it was quelled the soldiers were confined to the
barracks. An aged friend of Major Warner, whose way home led
past the barracks, begged his company and protection, and while
passing the barracks a volley was fired from the windows, and
Major Warner was struck in the knee and leg. Amputation was
made, and from the effects thereof he died, in the full flower of his
life. He was a man of pure and high character, distinguished and
broadly cultured, master of several sciences, fluent in several lan-
guages, and beloved by all.

Lieutenant John M. Warren, now a resident and business man
of Richmond, participated in the fighting of the Confederate armies
beyond the Mississippi during the war, and did gallant service in
many a desperate action. He was born at Brandon, Miss., in 1840,
but during the next year was taken to St. Louis by his parents,
and reared and educated at that city. When the movement was
organized to put Missouri in line with her sister States of the
Confederacy, he heartily co-operated with it, and entered the mil-
itary service on May 8, 1861, as a private in Radford's battery, of
the Missouri State guard, which went into camp in the western
part of the city, at Camp Jackson, under command of Gen. D. M.
Frost. On the loth of May, the entire command of State
militia was surrounded and captured by Federal forces under
General Lyon. During the proceedings a Federal regiment fired
upon the crowd of spectators, and killed about thirty men, women
and children. Private Warren was released the next day, and the
circumstances of the Federal attack having unified Confederate
sentiment, and changed Sterling Price into a hearty Confederate
and major-general of the State forces, Mr. Warren joined the
forces rallying under his command, on the i6th. From then until
the close of the war he continued in the Confederate service, be-
ing promoted for gallantry to second lieutenant. He was for a
considerable time engaged in blockade running on the Mississippi,
making three trips from St. Louis down the river. He partici-
pated in the Missouri battles of Boonville, Lone Jack (where he
was wounded in the ankle), Lexington, Carthage, Springfield, Pea
Ridge, and outside the State in the no less important engagements
at Helena, Ark., Little Rock, Ark., Mansfield, La., and Pleasant
Hill, La., besides many of the minor conflicts which were char-
acteristic of the trans-Mississippi struggle. At the battle of Mans-



1240 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

field, or Sabine Cross Roads, April 8, 1864, when the army of
Banks was routed and his promising Red River campaign brought
to a sudden close, Mr. Warren was very seriously wounded in the
side. After the war he became engaged in business as a com-
mercial traveler, and represented Chicago and St. Louis houses
for twenty-two years, until December, 1889, when he removed to
Richmond and embarked in the brokerage business. Here he was
heartily welcomed by his eastern comrades, and becoming a mem-
ber of R. E. Lee camp, No. i, has been elected its commander.

Captain James Hurley Waters, a gallant Confederate veteran
who has served since 1876 as chief of police of Staunton, Va., was
born at Sharptown, N. J., August, 1828, and was reared and edu-
cated at Philadelphia. In 1848 he removed to Staunton and em-
barked in the manufacture of carriages. He was one of the charter
members of the West Augusta Guards, organized about 1854, and
as first lieutenant of this volunteer company, commanded it at
Harper's Ferry during the John Brown affair in 1859, the captain,
William H. Baylor, being at that time ill in New York. On April
17, 1861, the company, one hundred and twenty-two strong, left
for Harper's Ferry to seize the military stores at that point, and
was there assigned under the command of Generals Jackson and
Johnston to the Fifth Virginia infantry as Company L. The regi-
ment then became a part of the First, or Jackson's brigade, and
soon became famous as the "Stonewall" brigade, Captain Waters
served in command of his company until the reorganization, when
he was made commissary of the regiment. Nine months later he
was promoted captain commissary of the Stonewall brigade, as
which he served until after the battle of Spottsylvania, when a
large part of the division under Edward Johnson having been cap-
tured, he was made commissary of Early's division. A year later
he was assigned in the same position to Gordon's division of the
army, and continued in that capacity until he surrendered and was
paroled at Appomattox. He participated in a large number of
engagements, including Falling Waters, Dartsville, First Ma-
nassas, Kernstown, Front Royal, Cross Keys, Port Republic, sev-
eral fights at Winchester, Williamsburg, Sharpsburg, Fredericks-
burg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, the Wilderness and Spottsyl-
vania, Lynchburg, Monocacy, the demonstration before Washing-
ton by Early and the expedition against Chambersburg, Pa., and
the siege of Petersburg. At the close of the war he returned to
Staunton, where he has been almost continuously connected prom-
inently with the municipal government, from 1866 to 1868 as as-
sistant chief of police, from 1868 to 1870 as member of the city
council, then as magistrate five or six years, and since 1876 as
chief of police. In all these official positions he has won the
cordial approval of his fellow citizens. In 1851 Captain Waters
was married to Elizabeth, daughter of the late John Carroll, of
Staunton.

James F. Watson, of Portsmouth, enlisted in the military service
of Virginia May 10, 1861, and served throughout the war in the
Confederate cause, being stationed at Richmond as a guard the
greater part of the time. He first served under Major Minor, and
subsequently under Major Curtin and Captain Ammons. His son,
John L. Watson, born January 14, 1863, is now one of the leading



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1241

insurance and real estate men of Portsmouth, for twelve years
has been a member of the board of trade, and though a compar-
atively young man, has made a remarkable record in the organiza-
tion and promotion of various worthy enterprises. He has been
very prominently associated with the organization of the follow-
ing companies : The Portsmouth street railway company, the Cit- •
izens' light, heat and power company, the Portsmouth cotton man-
ufacturing company, the Portsmouth land, improvement and pro-
motion company, the Home permanent building association, the
Park View land company, the Portsmouth water-front land com-
pany, the Pinner's Point land company. Pinner's Point home com-
pany & Pinner's Point water-front company, the Villa Heights
company and others. He is secretary or treasurer of all of these
companies, as well as a director of the Bank of Portsmouth. He
has a splendidly equipped office, and enjoys fully the confidence
and esteem of the people.

Lieutenant John D. Watson, of Charlottesville, was born at the
city in which he now resides. He entered the Confederate service
in June, 1861, as a member of Captain Southall's Albemarle bat-
tery, and was made second sergeant. With this command he served
about one year, participating in the artillery fighting at Yorktown
under General Magruder. He was then commissioned first lieu-
tenant in the Forty-sixth regiment of infantry, and served with
General Wise in North Carolina until he was captured at the battle
of Roanoke Island. His imprisonment was not of long duration,
being held on the steamer Spaulding which stood for eleven days
of? Cape Fear, and then paroled. Upon his exchange a few months
later, he was appointed adjutant of the Fifty-seventh Virginia in-
fantry, Armistead's brigade, Pickett's division, Longstreet's corps.
With this command he participated in the campaign near Suffolk,
and the battle of Gettysburg, at the latter engagement receiving a
severe wound in the groin and falling into the hands of the enemy.
On the same day, however, he was recaptured by his own regi-
ment, and was permitted to pass the period of his entire disability,
from July 3d to October 30th, at home. After his return to his
regiment he took part in the battle of Yellow House, between
Petersburg and Richmond, and in the capture of Fort Darling,
where his command bagged a large number of Butler's men. He
was again in battle at the Howlett House, and for many months
was almost continuously engaged in the Petersburg trenches. At
the battle of Five Forks he was captured, and after spending eleven
days at the Old Capitol prison, was taken to Johnson's island, at
which unpleasant summer resort he remained until June 20, 1865.

Robert Leslie Watson, a native of Scotland, who has resided at
Pet-ersburg since his boyhood, gave himself with entire loy-
alty to the fortunes of his State when he became a citizen, and
before the appearance of trouble between the States, was a mem-
ber of a volunteer military company of that city. In the spring of
1861, after the passage of the ordinance of secession, he was mus-
tered in with his comrades, and subsequently served in the vicinity
of Norfolk. His company became Company C of the Twelfth
Virginia regiment of infantry, Mahone's brigade, and he was
identified with the record of that famous command after the evac-
uation of Norfolk. Beginning with the battle of Seven Pines, he



1242 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

was a participant in the Seven Days' campaign, Malvern Hill, and
the many battles which followed throughout the four years' war.
On the 19th of June, 1864, when fighting against the advance of
Grant before Petersburg, he was severely wounded and disabled
for further service. After the close of hostilities and recovery
from his wound he resumed the occupation which he had entered
previous to the war, renewing a partnership which he had formed
in the manufacture of tobacco. He has met with remarkable suc-
cess, his firm now producing eight or nine hundred pounds an-
nually, and doing a great export business. Mr. Watson is a mem-
ber of A. P. Hill camp. United Confederate Veterans and cher-
ishes the memories of the heroic era in which he did the duty of a
brave soldier. He has two sons grown to manhood, John Watson,
an attorney at law, and Robert L. Watson, Jr., foreman of the
works. His daughter, Annie, is the wife of John Herbert Clai-
borne, of Petersburg.

Colonel James W. Watts, of Lynchburg, was born in Bed-
ford county, in 1833, the son of Richard D. Watts, a native of
the same county, who was a soldier in the war of 1812, and died
in 1848, at the age of fifty-two years. Colonel Watts passed his
youth at the family home, and was engaged in farming when the
war broke ou.t. In April, 1861, he entered the service as first
lieutenant of Company A of the Second Virginia cavalry. In the
following August, for meritorious service, he was promoted cap-
tain, and served in that rank until May, 1862, when at the reor-
ganization of the army, he was commissioned lieutenant-colonel.
In this capacity he acted with the Second cavalry until he was
disabled by wounds received in the action at Aldie in July, 1863.
Upon his recovery, a month later, he was assigned to the com-
mand of the military post at Liberty, Va., where he remained until
the surrender of the army of Northern Virginia. He then started
to join General Johnston, and reported to General Frye at Au-
gusta, Ga., at that place was paroled when further resistance was
evidently useless. The list of battles in which he was engaged
reveals a record of which the bravest of soldiers might well be
proud. He participated in the early actions of Vienna, Manassas
and Flint Hill; then with Jackson in the valley, fought at Front
Royal, Newtown, Winchester, Hall Town, Rude's Hill, Strasburg,
Cross Keys, and Port Republic; took part in the Seven Days of
bloody struggle before Richmond; again on the plains of Manassas
fought at Cedar Mountain, Bristoe Station, Groveton, and the
Second Manassas, and subsequently fought at Occoquan, Fred-
ericksburg, Chancellorsville, White Oak Swamp, Brandy Station,
Aldie, Winchester (1864), and Lynchburg (1864). He was slightly
wounded in an affair at Little Washington in the Valley campaign,
at the Second Manassas battle received eight saber cuts, and at
both Occoquan and Aldie was severely wounded. After the end
of the struggle he returned to Bedford county, and soon afterward
removed to Lynchburg, and embarked in the hardware trade. This
he conducted successfully until 1887, when he retired from active
business. In 1895 he was chosen vice-president of the National
exchange bank of Lynchburg, and in January, 1896, was elected
president, but retired in the following year. In 1854 Colonel
Watts was married in Appomattox county to Mary E., daughter




^"9 h-ELWUhams ihlX




BRANT* FU LLER, PUB?



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1243

of the late F. E. Jones, and they have two sons and two daughters.
Legh R. Watts, of Portsmouth, whose life has been one of
prominence alike in legal, financial and political fields, also made
an honorable record in youth as a participant in the struggle for
independence of the Southern States. He was born at Portsmouth,
December 12, 1843. His father. Dr. Edward M. Watts, son
of Col. Dempsey Watts, was born at Portsmouth in 1807; was
graduated at the university of Pennsylvania; in 1837 married Ann
Maupin, daughter of Dr. George W. Maupin, surgeon United
States arrny; and died in 1849, leaving three children: A daughter,
who married James G. Holladay; Edward M., now deceased; and
Legh R. In his boyhood Judge Watts had the advantages of the
best schools in that region, including the institute of Prof. N. B.
Webster and Prof. W. R. Gait's academy at Norfolk. When he
was seventeen years of age the Confederate States government
was in its inception, and in the following spring the war which
drew so heavily upon the youth of Virginia, had been opened by
the battle of Manassas, which seemed to promise to the South a
speedy and peaceful recognition of independence. But reverses
occurred in other sections, and more of Virginia's patriotic sons
were called into the field. Young Watts, of delicate constitution
and unfitted for the fatigues of active campaigning, tendered his
services nevertheless, and entered upon the duties of a private in
the signal corps, serving about the harbor of Portsmouth and Nor-
folk. He was soon afterward discharged by the State medical
board on account of physical disability, but after the port was oc-
cupied by the Federals he escaped, running the blockade, and on
reaching the Confederate lines re-entered the service. He was
then assigned to duty as assistant to Maj. George W. Grice, chief
of the forage bureau of the department of Georgia, South Carolina
and Florida, with headquarters at Columbia, S. C. Here he re-
mained on duty until that point was occupied by Sherman's army,
when he retired to Chester, and thence accompanied the army of
Johnston to Greensboro, N. C, where, with the entire command,
he was paroled in April, 1865. Then returning to his old home he
turned his attention to professional education for a civil career.
That fall he entered the university of Virginia, where he took
several academic studies in addition to the law, being graduated
in the special studies in 1866, and in law in 1867. Thereupon he at
once began the practice at Portsmouth, associating himself with
the prominent firm of Holladay & Gayle, a partnership which
continued until 1870. In April of the latter year he was elected
judge of the county court of Norfolk county, by the general as-
sembly of Virginia, a position in which he was continued by re-
flection without opposition until 1880. After ten years upon the
bench, in which his abilities as a jurist and integrity as a man
were faithfully devoted to the public good, he resumed the prac-
tice of the law, and in 1884 formed a partnership with G. Hatton,
Esq., which continuing to the present time, is widely known as one
of the leading legal firms of the State. In his practice he has
given special attention to corporation law, with the result that
he is counsel for many of the principal corporations of southeast-
ern Virginia, and holds the important position of general counsel
of the Seaboard Air Line system. Possessed also of great business



1244 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

ability, he has served for the past fourteen years as president of
the Bank of Portsmouth, and has taken a hand in various enter-
prises for the development of the country and the advancement
of the interests of Portsmouth as a seaport. He is a director in
the Portsmouth insurance company, and in the following railroad
companies: The Seaboard & Roanoke, Raleigh & Gaston, Raleigh &
Augusta Air Line, Seaboard Air Line, Belt railway companies, and
is associated with many other enterprises. He has served as vice-
president of the Virginia bar association and as vice-president for
Virginia of the American bankers' association. In political life, in
which he has been no less prominent than in the channels of ac-
tivity already mentioned, he has uniformly declined salaried office,
though he has well discharged his duties to the community by
holding for many years a seat in the common council of Ports-
mouth, and acting for eight years as president of that body. In
1880 he was a candidate for elector on the regular Democratic
presidential ticket, and was successful by a decisive majority, his
name receiving the highest number of votes cast for the ticket.
Subsequently he was selected by Hon. John S. Barbour as one
of the executive committee of the Democratic State organization,
and continued in service during all the campaigns under that fa-
mous leader. By Gov. Fitzhugh Lee he was appointed a member
of the board of visitors of the university of Virginia, and to the
directorate of the Eastern lunatic asylum of the State, and was
reappointed by Governor O'Ferrall. He has been a member of
every Virginia convention of his party, with one exception, during
the past quarter century, and in 1884 was president of the con-
vention. Amid all these important duties he has maintained a
lively interest in the welfare of his comrades of the Confederate
army, and appreciates as not least of the honorable positions con-
ferred upon him, that of commander of Stonewall camp, United
Confederate Veterans. In 1868 Judge Watts was married to Mat-
tie, daughter of William H. Peters, of Portsmouth, and they have
six children. The family are communicants of St. John's Epis-
copal church, of which he is a vestryman.

Edward F. Wayman, a prominent member of the dental pro-
fession of Staunton, was born in Culpeper county in 1847.
His family had long been, residents of the Old Dominion, his
great-grandfather, Joseph Wayman, a native of the State, having
served in the Revolutionary war, and another great-grandfather,
Edward Blakemore, having held the rank of colonel in the Con-
tinental army. Dr. Wayman was still under military age at the
close of the war, but nevertheless, before that time arrived he had
made a gallant record as a trooper in the cause of the Confederate
States. He enlisted in August, 1864, as a private in Colonel Mosby's
command, and participated in the subsequent operations of that
remarkable cavalry officer. He took part in the actions at Berry-
ville, Va. (during the so-called "burning raid"), Front Royal,
Marshall, Rectortown, a cavalry aflfair in Prince William county, a
fight within five miles of Winchester, another near Berryville,
when General Dufean was captured, and another in Culpeper
county, where Private Wayman captured General Tolbert's orderly
and three other Federals. This gallant record in the closing days
of the Confederacy was soon closed by the surrender of the armies,



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 124&

after which he returned to his home in Culpeper county and for a
year was engaged in farming. Still a youth, he next attended school
for two years, and had a brief career as a teacher and then as a
merchant's clerk, after which he removed to Austin, Tex. There
he found employment as a clerk two years, served as United States
deputy marshal six months, and then began the study of dentistry,
the profession in which his career has since been made. After
study under Dr. R. E. Grant, of Austin, he attended the Baltimore
dental college, graduating in 1875, and subsequently continuing
his study in the Baltimore college of physicians and surgeons. Re-
turning to his native county he practiced medicine and dentistry
there four years, followed by a short period of practice of dentistry
at Brooklyn, N. Y., after which he made his permanent home at
Staunton. As a citizen and a professional man he is held in the-
highest esteem by the community. Dr. Wayman was married at
Staunton, in 1878, to Hattie Elizabeth Flecker, a native of Au-
gusta county, and they have six children: Walter N., Edward F.,.
Fannie, William Jenifer, Lelia Cassell and Elizabeth Huston.

Newton Wayt, M. D., of Staunton, was born in Augusta county
in 1837. His grandfather, William Wayt, had the distinction of
serving as a soldier both in the war of the Revolution and the war
of 1812. He studied medicine at the universities of Virginia and
Pennsylvania, and after graduation at the latter in 1861, made his
home at Staunton. Soon afterward he was sent to Grafton, W. Va.,
by Governor Letcher, with special orders and money for the
troops, and subsequently went to Charlestown in charge of mili-



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 146 of 153)